(Close Window)
Topic: City Prediction by SOMA
Hi,

There is a new APP by SOMA for iPhones and iPads. You can predict the spectator's completely freely selected City using their phone!

You can check out the trailers here:

http://youtu.be/KSLLR5ux7bY
http://youtu.be/icGyIEuO2Lg

Description
Amazing magic on the spectators iPhone by World Champion Magician, SOMA. Unlike other magic apps, this trick is not performed on the magician's phone, so the spectator will not assume that a tricky app is involved. City Prediction is a pure miracle performed on the spectator's iPhone in his/her hand. It is so unbelievable it will leave the audience speechless and amazed.

= The effect =
The magician asks for the spectatorís iPhone and asks her to open the built-in Maps application. After the performer turned it away for a few seconds, he puts it face-down on the table. From this point, nobody will touch the phone but the spectator. First she names a city - it is completely free of choice, no lists or restrictions are involved. Then she turns her iPhone over and surprisingly realizes that the city she named is marked in the previously opened Maps application.

The trick is easy to perform, requires minimal setup and practice. The app includes written instructions and a video guide, as well.

= Facts =
- Works with any iPhone or iPad with iOS6+
- NO voice recognition used
- NO force used
- NO pre-show used
- Spectator can name virtually ANY city in the world
- Nothing is installed on the spectatorís device
- City is marked in the Apple Maps application
- A brand new method never used in magic before

And here is the appstore link:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/city-prediction/id918452311?mt=8
VERY VERY clever!

Looking fwd to integrating this with a few other ideas I have. Awesome price too!
Exactly the same as TZP that Vincent Launay and I created over a year ago lol.

Myke
X
@DynaMix: If you have any idea, you should send about it an email to SOMA, I'm pretty sure that he will be interested ;)
Okay, I've bought the App and the effect is only the second phase of TZP that is the same.

No problems here 😉

Cool App.

Myke
X
Have you released tzp Myke?
Sounds great! What about Android and Google maps? :)
[quote]On Oct 31, 2014, parkrocker wrote:
Sounds great! What about Android and Google maps? :) [/quote]

Excellent question. First, Apple Maps is a built-in application, so it's installed on every spectator's iPhone, that's why City Prediction uses it instead of some third party maps app.

Android is very a fragmented platform and we did not want to take the risk to ruin the trick because of some custom app or settings. Nevertheless we will consider to support it in the near future.

Thank you for your feedback.

gyorkop
I believe every Android phones have Gmaps pre-installed on it. Or is it not?
Message: Posted by: GordonTheHypnotist (Oct 31, 2014 11:38PM)
[quote]On Oct 31, 2014, gyorkop wrote:
[quote]On Oct 31, 2014, parkrocker wrote:
Sounds great! What about Android and Google maps? :) [/quote]

Excellent question. First, Apple Maps is a built-in application, so it's installed on every spectator's iPhone, that's why City Prediction uses it instead of some third party maps app.

Android is very a fragmented platform and we did not want to take the risk to ruin the trick because of some custom app or settings. Nevertheless we will consider to support it in the near future.

Thank you for your feedback.

gyorkop [/quote]

I understand wanting to use the Apple Maps and that is okay with me because I can always borrow an iPhone from a spectator but I want is the ability to transmit from any device. That way if I decide to use the confederate mode they can have any device. I actually use my iPhone and iPad in my performance and can't just hand it to an assistant.
I have bought the app. It's indeed a clever app that can use spectactor iphone/ipad. I do hope it can also support other brand, so we can have wider targets. Put in mind that the app can run on iphone and ipad. But, it's not an universal app. So the UI is build for iphone not really fit for someone who want to present it on their ipad. But it's not a big deal, and the first video performance in the app show one unique method so good that you can utilize it with either your iphone/ipad.
Hi Gordon. We've shared an exact opposite opinion on the app. That's interesting. Here in my area is very hard for me to target an iphone/ipad. I can easily target an android though. They're practically everywhere.
Message: Posted by: GordonTheHypnotist (Nov 1, 2014 02:44AM)
[quote]On Nov 1, 2014, daniltan wrote:
Hi Gordon. We've shared an exact opposite opinion on the app. That's interesting. Here in my area is very hard for me to target an iphone/ipad. I can easily target an android though. They're practically everywhere. [/quote]

In the long term I agree I would like to be able to target any phone. And I think it is possible but could be a little buggy.
But we should in the short term be able to transmit from any device considering it is just a special URL that transmits the info built into the app.

If they didn't have an iphone I just go into something else using their android.
[quote]On Nov 1, 2014, GordonTheHypnotist wrote:
[quote]On Nov 1, 2014, daniltan wrote:
Hi Gordon. We've shared an exact opposite opinion on the app. That's interesting. Here in my area is very hard for me to target an iphone/ipad. I can easily target an android though. They're practically everywhere. [/quote]

In the long term I agree I would like to be able to target any phone. And I think it is possible but could be a little buggy.
But we should in the short term be able to transmit from any device considering it is just a special URL that transmits the info built into the app.

If they didn't have an iphone I just go into something else using their android. [/quote]

I see your point. Let's hope the developer can answer to us :-)
OK, so we have several different requests:

1, Transmit from any device
Transmitting from any device is not that easy, because if it would be just a special URL, anyone could ruin your performance by transmitting a different city. That is something you do not want so City Prediction uses a signature mechanism. The real solution would be to create the Android version of the app.

2, Make the layout iPad compatible
That is something that we should do, we just have to come up with a reasonable layout for the settings so stay tuned.

3, Extend the possible targets to Android users
We are going to do some experiments to find out if it can be reliable or not. Keep in mind that we do not want you to fail when performing the trick, so we want it to make it as robust as possible.

gyorkop
I've absolutely slayed with this the past few days by integrating with "hotel" and allowing for ample time misdirection. Just nutty reactions! LOVE this app!
Message: Posted by: GordonTheHypnotist (Nov 2, 2014 11:42PM)
[quote]On Nov 2, 2014, gyorkop wrote:
OK, so we have several different requests:

1, Transmit from any device
Transmitting from any device is not that easy, because if it would be just a special URL, anyone could ruin your performance by transmitting a different city. That is something you do not want so City Prediction uses a signature mechanism. The real solution would be to create the Android version of the app.

2, Make the layout iPad compatible
That is something that we should do, we just have to come up with a reasonable layout for the settings so stay tuned.

3, Extend the possible targets to Android users
We are going to do some experiments to find out if it can be reliable or not. Keep in mind that we do not want you to fail when performing the trick, so we want it to make it as robust as possible.

gyorkop [/quote]

It may not be "easy" but it is possible I know because I have multiple apps that work on this "thumper" principle. You thump one item from a selected URL from any source; smartphone, computer, tablet etc. and in most cases the receiver can be any other source with the ability to receive that information. Now with your effect it makes sense that the receiver has to be an iOS product because they have the inherent feature necessary to accomplish the effect. To build an android version of this I assume it would have to be from the ground up. I don't expect you to do this unless you think it will be commercially viable.

But you already have created a way to make any device a transmitter and that is a uniquely coded URL with a specific identifier. Your receiver has a uniquely coded identifier why couldn't a transmitter? That is exactly how these other apps work. You either are given or have to create an identifier specific to you (the performer) and that way each person (performer) wouldn't be transmitting a different city because they would also have unique identifiers.

I understand the reasons you wouldn't want to do this.

Having an actual app makes it much more proprietary. But since in order to get the unique URL you would have to purchase the app (signature mechanism) I don't see this issue being major. I don't see anyone sharing their unique URL because that would ruin the ability to perform the effect exclusively. The only person I would want to share this with is my assistant. My assistant does not have any iOS products. Which means if I wanted to do one kind of particular performances I would have to loan him one of my devices. But the problem is use all of these in my performances. I can't justify giving him my iPad or iPhone to perform this effect because it means I could not perform one of the other effects without him physically giving me back my device.

It would be so much easier if I could give him my specific URL identifier and let him use any of his devices.

Please let me know if you would consider this. The only other thing that I would want if you can't do this is to cross device thresholds meaning the android app should change both iOS and Google based maps and vice versa.

Many thanks!

--Gordon
[quote]On Nov 2, 2014, DynaMix wrote:
I've absolutely slayed with this the past few days by integrating with "hotel" and allowing for ample time misdirection. Just nutty reactions! LOVE this app! [/quote]

I'm glad to hear you liked our app and also tried to make it even stronger with this "hotel" integration. Could you please tell us more about the actual effect you came up with?

gyorkop
[quote]On Nov 3, 2014, GordonTheHypnotist wrote:
It may not be "easy" but it is possible I know because I have multiple apps that work on this "thumper" principle. You thump one item from a selected URL from any source; smartphone, computer, tablet etc. and in most cases the receiver can be any other source with the ability to receive that information. Now with your effect it makes sense that the receiver has to be an iOS product because they have the inherent feature necessary to accomplish the effect. To build an android version of this I assume it would have to be from the ground up. I don't expect you to do this unless you think it will be commercially viable.

But you already have created a way to make any device a transmitter and that is a uniquely coded URL with a specific identifier. Your receiver has a uniquely coded identifier why couldn't a transmitter? That is exactly how these other apps work. You either are given or have to create an identifier specific to you (the performer) and that way each person (performer) wouldn't be transmitting a different city because they would also have unique identifiers.

I understand the reasons you wouldn't want to do this.

Having an actual app makes it much more proprietary. But since in order to get the unique URL you would have to purchase the app (signature mechanism) I don't see this issue being major. I don't see anyone sharing their unique URL because that would ruin the ability to perform the effect exclusively. The only person I would want to share this with is my assistant. My assistant does not have any iOS products. Which means if I wanted to do one kind of particular performances I would have to loan him one of my devices. But the problem is use all of these in my performances. I can't justify giving him my iPad or iPhone to perform this effect because it means I could not perform one of the other effects without him physically giving me back my device.

It would be so much easier if I could give him my specific URL identifier and let him use any of his devices.

Please let me know if you would consider this. The only other thing that I would want if you can't do this is to cross device thresholds meaning the android app should change both iOS and Google based maps and vice versa.

Many thanks!

--Gordon [/quote]

First of all thank you for your detailed explanation, I appreciate it.

When we designed the app, our main goal was to make it easy to use not only for professionals but for the beginners as well. Those other "thumper" apps have a totally different concept than City Prediction, because the trick is done on the performer's iPhone. Since we would rather not involve a third device, we came up with this less complicated method.

We are going to consider your feedback and in the future we might create a private webpage for everyone as an alternate "transmitter".

gyorkop
Message: Posted by: GordonTheHypnotist (Nov 4, 2014 12:57AM)
Thanks for answering my question but I just wanted to clear one thing up. These other effects I am speaking of are not performed on the "performers" phone they are indeed performed on the spectators phone. iPhone, Android and others are all possible. In fact there is no visible use of any tech being used by the performer whatsoever.

You have a very creative and clever app and may be the first to use Apple maps but definitely not the first to use this other technology. I do appreciate your want to further improve on the app and your willingness to listen to the performer's wants and concerns.

best,

Gordon
I think the first use of google maps (that I know of) was incorporated into 'HandzOff' by Salah Aazadine.

Brilliant app but unfortunately no longer available at the present time.
Message: Posted by: GordonTheHypnotist (Nov 4, 2014 01:37PM)
[quote]On Nov 4, 2014, rasp wrote:
I think the first use of google maps (that I know of) was incorporated into 'HandzOff' by Salah Aazadine.

Brilliant app but unfortunately no longer available at the present time. [/quote]

Oh you are right, Rasp I completely forgot about that one. My apologies to Myke and Salah. My point is still valid there are plenty of apps that use this methodology and they are presented on a spectators phone.
[quote]On Nov 3, 2014, gyorkop wrote:
[quote]On Nov 2, 2014, DynaMix wrote:
I've absolutely slayed with this the past few days by integrating with "hotel" and allowing for ample time misdirection. Just nutty reactions! LOVE this app! [/quote]

I'm glad to hear you liked our app and also tried to make it even stronger with this "hotel" integration. Could you please tell us more about the actual effect you came up with?

gyorkop [/quote]

Hey I'll do my best - I'm not so great at writing up my ideas because they are layered with lots of "parts" and other routines, I also make use of time misdirection with almost everything I do, which (as you all know) is hard to translate into a description... But here goes:

I start by asking the spec to load maps on their phone... I casually say let me look up something and do the dirty work. I place it face down as if I've learned something and explain that we'll come back to that later if I feel I'm up to it. I then hand them the prediction from "hotel" and ask them to put it somewhere I can't touch it.
I explain how my father had to travel most of my childhood and how I'd keep myself busy by trying to learn magic to show him when he got back. He'd travel all over the world and always bring back interesting things for me to play with (all true btw)... Prior to 9/11 you were allowed to go up to the cockpit and ask talk to pilots - he'd in fact get them to sign this log book - a record of every flight he'd ever taken. (True). He also collected business cards from all of the hotels he'd stay at, if he liked the service etc.
I go through phase 1 of hotel and when it's time for the revelation I ask them one question that seems important - of every city in the world, which city would you say has the BEST hotel you've ever stayed at? Spec answers. I act as if that gives me some insight into which of the hotel cards they selected. I look for ANY connection I can.
I then read their mind and name the hotel.
I compliment their choice and then casually Google the hotel and look at my phone saying "ah yes, beautiful hotel" - this is where I do the dirty work, actually googling their names city from earlier.
I then do phase 2 of hotel - which ends with their "freely selected" hotel being predicted in advance via the room key they were holding the entire time. Climax 2
While their mind is still spinning from thst I verh casually ask them - what was the city you said earlier that has your favorite hotel in the world?

They turn over their phone.
I performed this once casually and once at a paid gig this past weekend in Chicago. Reactions were OFF THE CHART. The ending phase is so strong it almost negates the hotel routine itself. It's all people remember.

So, in summary the effect from the spec's POV is as follows:
1. They open maps on their phone. I look something up, place it face down and hand them a sealed prediction.
2. They think of a hotel among my 30 business cards.
3. They give me a clue as to how they think by casually naming a city in the world that had their favorite hotel.
4. I name the hotel they are thinking of.
5. They then deal blind to a new hotel.
6. It matches room key from the beginning.
7. Bringing it full circle, they then turn over their phone. It has that named city loaded on it.

This was just the first thing I could come up with. It's by no means special or advanced thinking. But judging by the reactions I KNOW it plays as strong as anything else I've done.
That sounds really nice
Gordon told me about City Prediction.

WOW, what a CLEVER and organic use of iOS maps!!

Congratulations to gyorkop and Soma.

This is such a powerful concept, that you can charge a LOT more than $2.99 ... I know that you'll make more money and you'll keep this secret out of the hands of the curious.

I'm sure that you think that by pricing it low, then more people will be able to afford it.
Believe me when I tell you ... teleFoto at $50 has made almost as much money as iForce!! In the next year, teleFoto will SURPASS iForce in profits.

As it has been already stated in this thread, my Supa Thump app can use any web connected device as a transmitter, while any other device can be used as a receiver.
Since I have apps that use this method, I don't want the secret of converting a spectator's device into a receiver to become the next thumb tip. :hmm:

PLEASE raise the price ... trust me, you won't regret it.

all the best,
Greg Rostami
The way you google for the hotel is genius DynaMix!
[quote]On Nov 5, 2014, Greg Rostami wrote:
Gordon told me about City Prediction.

WOW, what a CLEVER and organic use of iOS maps!!

Congratulations to gyorkop and Soma.

This is such a powerful concept, that you can charge a LOT more than $2.99 ... I know that you'll make more money and you'll keep this secret out of the hands of the curious.

I'm sure that you think that by pricing it low, then more people will be able to afford it.
Believe me when I tell you ... teleFoto at $50 has made almost as much money as iForce!! In the next year, teleFoto will SURPASS iForce in profits.

As it has been already stated in this thread, my Supa Thump app can use any web connected device as a transmitter, while any other device can be used as a receiver.
Since I have apps that use this method, I don't want the secret of converting a spectator's device into a receiver to become the next thumb tip. :hmm:

all the best,
Greg Rostami [/quote]

As a show of faith I'd be willing to send you the difference if you raise the price Soma. I Agree with Greg on this.

Even something like 9.99 would keep it out of more curious hands.
[quote]On Nov 5, 2014, daniltan wrote:
The way you google for the hotel is genius DynaMix! [/quote]

Thanks brother I appreciate it! In sure there are better ideas but I know this flies right by the spectator!
Hi Everyone,

This is Soma. Thanks for all the feedback! We really appreciate it! We will do our best to make this product as good as possible. iPad compatibility coming for sure, probably with the next version! Regarding the Android platform, we are still in discussion.

@DynaMix: awesome routine, good thinking!

@Greg Rostami: Thanks for the tips Greg! Would you have a private email address I could reach you at?
Yes,

My email address is:
grostami@gmail.com
This app is incredible and although its easy to say now I've purchased; it ia too cheep. The level of detail is brillint, right down to how you exit the maps.

I think I'll present it by asking them to think about a place they'd like to visit. That in turn gives you a justification to go into google and look for some pictures to help them imagine it. I think I will then build in some time misdirection by perhps getting them to picture there trip and imagining the hotel room they visit. Then using a s***i you can predict the room number they think of; before the big reveal.

To say I love this would be an understatement.
The app is awesome!!!!
Is there a way to recover an ID if you uninstall the app?
[quote]On Nov 13, 2014, Josh Clarke wrote:
Is there a way to recover an ID if you uninstall the app? [/quote]

Absolutely, if you want to use the same ID again, please send me a private message and I'll delete your previous registration.

gyorkop
[quote]On Nov 11, 2014, weapon wrote:
The app is awesome!!!! [/quote]

Thanks for your feedback, it's always good to hear when someone likes our app :)

gyorkop
Just bought this and I love it. Great app!

Patrick
I've not used this for a while and now cant remember the url to send them to or how to get in to settings in the app. Can anyone help me?

THanks

p
Yes, I just sent you a PM :-)
I have the same problem, could you remind me how to get into the settings etc?

thanks in advance,

Ian.
Ditto
[quote]On Feb 9, 2015, daniltan wrote:
Yes, I just sent you a PM :-) [/quote]

Since multiple people have this issue - maybe you could post how you get back to settings here. Not like its giving away any secrets. Otherwise can you pm me pls?
Message: Posted by: GordonTheHypnotist (Feb 10, 2015 12:29AM)
Open app 3 fingers swipe in a downward motion. It's a bit knacky so try it a few times.
Thanks Gordon, much appreciated...... I had been using all sorts of taps, swipes, up and down, sideways, ...... typical lol ;)
Right, sorry about that. The three fingers thing is really easy to forget huh? At first I thought it's only me. Then there's another one and another two.

I guess I'm the only one who re-install the app just to read how to go to setting again. And it cost me a user ID. I had to make a new one while I'm forgeting my old one. So I can't really complain, right? LOL!

Thank you Gordon for the help :-)
Thanks - I was trying that but it didn't work for me so I gave up. I will try again though. Great app for 3 bucks!
This concept has been used first in my HandzOFF app, but sadly apple removed it from the app store. Good luck on this one.
I've been getting great results with this
Finally the app price has gone up, hopefully this might discourage laymen from buying it
This is a great app. I get better results from this ($3) than IUnlockYourMind ($70)
[quote]On Mar 5, 2015, j100taylor wrote:
This is a great app. I get better results from this ($3) than IUnlockYourMind ($70) [/quote]

This statement says more about you than any App.

lol
[quote]On Mar 5, 2015, Myke Phillips wrote:
This is a great app. I get better results from this ($3) than IUnlockYourMind ($70) [/quote]

lol [/quote]

Like the previous poster, I tend to agree; this is the strongest effect I've seen using a phone to date.

Don't be offended, Myke - your app is good too - but this is just on another level - absolutely fantastic.

Would love to see it on Android soon...
[quote]On Mar 5, 2015, jgodwin wrote:

lol [/quote]

Like the previous poster, I tend to agree; this is the strongest effect I've seen using a phone to date.

Don't be offended, Myke - your app is good too - but this is just on another level - absolutely fantastic.

Would love to see it on Android soon... [/quote]

Why do people here assume that one is offended when defending a statement that has not been thought through properly? I'm not offended, we already created this effect with Handzoff way before so I know how strong this type of effect is.

You cannot say that any App/effect/trick is better than another, you can perform one better than the other thus getting a stronger reaction.

In my opinion iUnlockYourMind is a more powerful and personal performance piece for me than revealing a city. Just my humble opinion as a performer, not a creator.
Purchased this. Turks and Caicos is located at 50 aurora ct in Toronto? Wow?
[quote]On Mar 5, 2015, magicmind wrote:
Purchased this. Turks and Caicos is located at 50 aurora ct in Toronto? Wow? [/quote]

I also noticed that having it on my ipad...made me choose a different ID for iphone. Why could I not use the same?
Ah~

I was about to buy the app, but it is not $2.99 anymore...
[quote]On Mar 6, 2015, Magic KL wrote:
Ah~

I was about to buy the app, but it is not $2.99 anymore... [/quote]

I feel it is worth $15.99. Wouldn't you spend that on a lunch?
[quote]On Mar 6, 2015, magicmind wrote:
[quote]On Mar 6, 2015, Magic KL wrote:
Ah~

I was about to buy the app, but it is not $2.99 anymore... [/quote]

I feel it is worth $15.99. Wouldn't you spend that on a lunch? [/quote]

Maybe true....But, I'll wait for the $2.99 special again :-)
No rush for me.
Message: Posted by: GordonTheHypnotist (Mar 6, 2015 10:48PM)
Not a special or sale...it was an introductory price. It doubt it will go on sale again, especially since it is being touted and sold through Ellusionist.
No big deal....I can wait until I have a real use for the app.
For $2.99 I would have played with it.

For $16, that's another story and I am not even sure if I will use it even if the method is clever.

I can wait....who knows...maybe an April Fools day special :-)

Of course, every one has their own criteria to purchase toys :-)

This web site also says to wait:

http://applesliced.com/app?n=city-prediction

The "applesliced" also says that the price was just changed Feb 22nd about 2 weeks ago.

Bet they will drop the price when they find sales falls through the floor....who knows.
I agree.
[quote]On Mar 6, 2015, Expertmagician wrote:
No big deal....I can wait until I have a real use for the app.
For $2.99 I would have played with it.

For $16, that's another story and I am not even sure if I will use it even if the method is clever.

I can wait....who knows...maybe an April Fools day special :-)

Of course, every one has their own criteria to purchase toys :-)

This web site also says to wait:

http://applesliced.com/app?n=city-prediction

The "applesliced" also says that the price was just changed Feb 22nd about 2 weeks ago.

Bet they will drop the price when they find sales falls through the floor....who knows. [/quote]

Thanks for the link.
If $15.99 is too much for an amazing app that allows you to do something incredible almost any-time then save your money. For me I feel this is really good value for money. Why should someone release something for pennies when clearly so much work has gone into it's development. The price is a bargain. In My Opinion
Hi Guys,

Since there were a lot of questions and debates, I would like to make things clear.

The reason that you cannot use the same ID in your iPhone and iPad is that the performances rely on the registered ID and we do not want them to interfere each other. If you still prefer to use the same ID in different devices, please PM me.

If you reinstall the app you cannot use your previous ID. If you still want your older ID, please PM me the ID and email address provided during registration.

As Gordon mentioned, you can always return to the secret menu by swiping down with three fingers. If you have troubles with that, make sure that in Settings menu General > Accessibility > Zoom is turned OFF. Otherwise three fingers gestures will not work.

There were a lot of discussions comparing City Prediction to HandzOFF. I think HandzOFF is a great app using the performer's iPhone and can be used for multiple effects but it also requires practice and an external prop.

On the other hand, City Prediction uses the spectator's iPhone, requires minimal practice, no memorization and you don't have to buy any extra prop for the performance.

Thank you all for your feedbacks and have fun performing City Prediction.

Peter
Looks great. Just to clarify, on the description on the AppStore it says works with any iPhone iOS 6+. But below that it says compatibility requires iOS 8 or later. Whose phone requires which?
Thanks.
Hi,

The latest version of City Prediction works with iOS 8 but the version 1.0 supports iOS 7. When you perform the trick, your spectator's iPhone must run iOS 6 or better.

For iOS 7:

1. Open iTunes page of City Prediction on your Mac/PC: https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=918452311
2. Click to "View in iTunes" button on the left side
3. Purchase the app
4. Open App Store on your iPhone
5. Select "Updates" > "Purchased"
6. Install the latest compatible version of City Prediction (1.0)

I hope it helps.

Peter
Thank you very much, Peter, that's very helpful. I have iOS8 so perfect for me already. I look forward to getting this as it looks amazing. many thanks for your help and congrats on this effect.
This is by far the best app out there IMO. This is [insert favourite swear word] brilliant.
This app is good. But it's only limited to a single use. While with Greg's SupaThump you can get many more except what City Prediction could do. So IMO get them both!
Was the use of this app strictly on iPhones and only iPhones? If that doesn't make sense, I'm asking if the spectator has to have an iPhone aswell?
[quote]On Nov 5, 2014, Greg Rostami wrote:

all the best,
Greg Rostami [/quote]

Dude...at least pretend to be doing us customers a favor. Your smell-o-vision app was overpriced and made me balk at Magic Live when it was discounted, forget the current price. Work on price fixing and collusion of this type of effect in private and throw the consumer a public bone.

In my opinion iUnlockYourMind is a more powerful and personal performance piece for me than revealing a city. Just my humble opinion as a performer, not a creator. [/quote]

Humble opinion? That's the quality that you think you demonstrate when you come on here and tell every other magician that the apps they are developing are too similar to something you've created (Social Media comes to mind here too) and then follow up by "well thought out" post that turns praise of a $3 app into an insult of their ability to use your overpriced app to the same level of response? That's humble? Glad I decided to never send you a dime a while ago.
While there are a few posts here that expose and most can read between the lines and figure out the complete mechanics of this effect, I just thought it's worth an explicit criticism that the demo video isn't necessarily the exact way that the spectator will see the effect if the magician is working alone.

The second half of the demo video is a more accurate picture.

I just thought I'd share my patter for when I Google a city...
"Why did you pick that city? Do you know what the temperature is there? Let's find out...OH, 83 degrees? I think that's a city I'd like to go to also, and can see why we would both pick that." This is the basics, today I engaged in lots of conversation to justify the method. And it is a very pleasant effect.
Ooooooh sounds like someones glass is half empty.
Used this app to pin the honeymoon hotel of my spectator. Awesome.
Used this app to pin the honeymoon hotel of my spectator. Awesome.
[quote]On Mar 13, 2015, Robvs wrote:
Dude...at least pretend to be doing us customers a favor. Your smell-o-vision app was overpriced and made me balk at Magic Live when it was discounted, forget the current price. Work on price fixing and collusion of this type of effect in private and throw the consumer a public bone. [/quote]
Hi Robvs,

Based on your posts I can see that you're really entertaining your audience with this app. Perhaps you've changed your opinion about the pricing of these effects.

So do you still think, the price is too high? If this wasn't an app, how much would you have paid for an effect like this?

Regarding teleFoto (my smell-o-vision app), all of my customers will tell you it's worth a LOT more than $50.

The bottom line about good organic app magic (like City Prediction) is:

* You always have it with you.
* Requires practically no skill so you can concentrate on your performance.
* Packs a KILLER PUNCH!!

The reason why I didn't talk about the collusion or price fixing in private is because it's time for ALL good apps (not just magic apps) to have a higher price.
I have nothing to hide from the consumer. I want the consumer to recognize that these products take a lot of effort and have tremendous value.

I know too many brilliant app developers that are BROKE because the world believes all apps should be free or $0.99 ... I'm afraid that kind of pricing only works for the top 0.00001% of the apps.

So thank you for throwing app developers a bone and buying our products ... we've got more AMAZING things in store for you.

Greg Rostami
Great response Greg.

There is a widespread ignorance out there from the non tech magicians that just reads off very poorly to people who have a basic understanding of technology and its (growing) place within magic. Those of us who successfully and thoughtfully integrate these effects organically into our sets know the value of these apps. I hope you all continue to make money and prosper because it's a fascinating field to be involved in. Best of luck Greg.
Please just stay out of the oil industry.
The oil industry makes a lot of money. App developers do not.

Just to sell an app on iOS, you must pay Apple $99/year.
59% of developers don't make enough money to cover that $99 fee.

The consumer assumes that ALL app developers make millions of dollars like Angry Birds and Candy Crush.
The reality is 59% of developers fail, 40% barely scrape by (need another job to make ends meet) and only 1% see REAL profits.

G Ro
Not sure how that allows for shady business practices which discourage the open market from determining the value of an effect and discourages price competition that appeals to consumers' wallets. When finances are difficult for a business it does not give them the legal or moral right to engage in the illegal practice of gathering manufacturers and agreeing to raise prices in unison.

You are the Mobil gas station on the corner of my block, selling "the best" gas for 75 cents more expensive than everyone else, failing to realize that if the price dropped to fair market value you would exceed everyone else's sales. But instead you're boarded up in a few years.

The average price of an app is less than 50 cents- yours are decimal points away.
No Robvs, Greg can write anything he wants in this forum. And City Prediction price fix doesn't has anything to do with him in the first place. He just sounded his opinion. Like right now I sound my opinion. And maybe you just read a comment and decided to flow with it. That's my opinion too..

Because I also read this..

[quote]On Mar 7, 2015, pegasus wrote:
It was Greg Rostami that convinced the owners to increase the price so that his bumper method would not be exposed to the merely curious. Makes sense. It's certainly worth the money I believe. I get the spec to input the their chosen city / place / street name into my phone, too, stating that this eliminates the use of voice recognition. When they return my phone I look pleasantly surprised, press enter, point to an interesting fact and walk away, pointing to their phone. It's a killer effect. [/quote]
Daniltan,

I can appreciate your efforts but you're not the authority to give someone legal permission to hinder the free marketplace. I'm not a troll who clung onto one comment. I've been reading his posts and he's pulled no punches about publicly encouraging businesses to conspire to raise prices. I could provide many quotes, but go ahead and do your own research. Some may argue that his words of price increase encouragement have directly led to an immediate price increase- shady and potentially illegal- regardless of the forum and nature of business.
Robvs,

I see your point. I'll keep my eye and my mind open for this.
Robvs,

I understand how high prices would frustrate you, but I think many of us feel that there is something larger in play.

Keeping secrets out of the hands of the merely curious
A relatively *new* market of magic effects (apps) and the yet to be decided marketplace/profitability that comes with expensing the creation of these apps out - how can new effects continue to come out if profit isn't realized?

Issues like these (IMO) outweigh the concerns of the few AS LONG as the prices are within reason. Hell, even if they weren't, I'm SURE the market would determine the app was too expensive and no one would purchase it anyway!

When push comes to shove, do you GENUINELY feel like $15 is too expensive for a great effect? Think about how much garbage is out there at much higher prices...

Your view, while having merit, seems to be very consumer-centric. I see both sides of the issue. If it were a perfect world, the apps would be cheap, only magicians would download them, and all the developers would make profit...but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case at this time....
Robvs I think you're failing to see my point ...

I don't know if your comments like "shady and potentially illegal" are intentionally insulting or not, but I don't appreciate it.

I have almost 6 years of experience in this market.

When it comes to my fellow app developers I have one of two choices:

1. I can either give them no advice about my experience and watch them price their product so low that they won't survive.
2. Or I can give them advice about what my experience has shown to be a working price model.

I haven't forced anyone to raise the price of their apps ... I'm simply stating basic business facts.
In small markets (like magic or nuclear submarines) the price of the product is high because the market is small (not too many people need a nuclear submarine).

Your argument about "hinder the free marketplace" is a moot point ...
A magic trick is not a necessity like food or transportation.
Even if I could convince everyone to raise their prices, if a trick is "expensive" then you won't buy it.

Since you have so much experience in this market and are very business savvy, I suggest you create a magic app and put it out for $0.99 or free.

I'm certain that because of your lower prices you'll dominate this market and put me and other magic app developers out of business.

all the best,
Greg Rostami
Greg,

The law makes no provisions for targeting a niche market when it comes to price fixing and collusion, nor does your level of experience legitimize such a practice.

What you're doing is price fixing, no matter how you shake it. The justification you attempt to provide further exemplifies the definition of "price fixing." According to the Federal Trade Commission, price fixing has occurred "immediately upon solicitation of competing sellers with the intent to coordinate pricing for mutual benefit of the traders." So think twice before you pat yourself on the back for helping your competitors to profit off of your price model by encouraging "everyone to raise their prices."

I have a right to insult you through facts once you've flagrantly disregarded the laws of free trade in this country in a semi-public forum, and once you bite the hands of those who feed you by keeping the product prices of you and your competitors high. I find it insulting that you are attempting to artificially drive up prices.

If you wish to have a third party determine whether or not my points about your collusion and price fixing are "moot," we can open up an FTC inquiry and have them decide if you like? Or maybe it's a good time to concede and go back to peddling smell-o-vision.
[quote]On Mar 18, 2015, DynaMix wrote:

Keeping secrets out of the hands of the merely curious

[/quote]

I appreciate the dialogue, and I can appreciate a real paradox at hand here: How do you preserve the secrets of effects while attempting to profit from it? The answer is that you can't always. But the consumer has no obligation to "fix this" dilemma.

This does not mean that the consumer needs to "take it on the chin" and sit back while others conspire to illegally drive up the price of their products in the name of preserving secrets and feeding families.
On a side note (or back to the main note), is there a thread where this effect is being discussed further? I'm interested in hearing others' justification for Googling the city. My "go to" patter involves a discussion about the weather in that city, but when they name a neighboring city, my patter isn't as powerful (though they never notice that what I'm saying is ridiculous). Not sure that I can make the suggested "population" justification into something relevant.
[quote]On Mar 5, 2015, magicmind wrote:
Purchased this. Turks and Caicos is located at 50 aurora ct in Toronto? Wow? [/quote]

How about you try typing in a CITY next time in the CITY Prediction app?

However, there are some ways to get other results. I have successfully predicted the genre of takeout food that the spectator wants delivered, the name of my spectator's wedding venue, a landmark, a country, a state, a bar, and a city. But there are "tricks" to this.

Try typing "Turks and Caicos Isands" instead of "Turks and Caicos"
"Pizza restaurant near Southampton, NY"
"Plaza hotel NYC" instead of Plaza Hotel
Kansas City, MI instead of "Kansas City"
Statue of Liberty NYC instead of...

Specifying these things helps prevent errors such as pinning Kansas City, Kansas instead of Kansas City, Missouri.
I hope this helps.
Wow, Robvs knows the law too!!

The next time my fellow app developer friends call me for advice about the price of their app, I will refuse to answer them because Robvs has informed me of the "law".

Please report me to the FTC so that I can be arrested for "price fixing" and "flagrantly disregarding the laws of free trade in this country".
But until I see the cops at my front door carry me away in handcuffs, all your words will fall on deaf ears.

Thanks for that good laugh, :rotf:
Greg Rostami
I have a strange feeling this app will become mainstream which would BE HORRIBLE for all of the other apps using similar methodology.

Just googling the right combo brings up this thread, the ellusionist website etc.

As far as justification I do it 2 ways - one way they never even see what I google, it's a bold faced lie which I wrote up earlier using another routine. The other method has to do with psi forcing an additional city which is written on my palm. Both ways the use of my iPhone isn't tupically remembered. I think it's a mistake to do this effect solo, just my opinion.
I have a strange feeling this app will become mainstream which would BE HORRIBLE for all of the other apps using similar methodology.

Just googling the right combo brings up this thread, the ellusionist website etc.

As far as justification I do it 2 ways - one way they never even see what I google, it's a bold faced lie which I wrote up earlier using another routine. The other method has to do with psi forcing an additional city which is written on my palm. Both ways the use of my iPhone isn't tupically remembered. I think it's a mistake to do this effect solo, just my opinion. [/quote]

Interested in your first method. Where can I hear more about it?
No doubt that having an assistant makes the effect absolutely killer. I do, however, think it's completely manageable to fry them as an individual. It's probably dependent on presentation style. It can be weird to bust out your phone and start googling if you're the type of magician whose other effects are more "straight to the point" rather than "conversational." For me, I actually can't envision a scenario where someone is working in cahoots with me. Or "colluding" with me.
[quote]On Mar 18, 2015, Greg Rostami wrote:
Wow, Robvs knows the law too!!

The next time my fellow app developer friends call me for advice about the price of their app, I will refuse to answer them because Robvs has informed me of the "law".

Please report me to the FTC so that I can be arrested for "price fixing" and "flagrantly disregarding the laws of free trade in this country".
But until I see the cops at my front door carry me away in handcuffs, all your words will fall on deaf ears.

Thanks for that good laugh, :rotf:
Greg Rostami [/quote]

If you wish to further discuss the inquiry I established with the United States Department of Justice: Antitrust Division today, we can do it in a private message as to not continue hijacking this thread and diverting attention from legitimate on-topic discussion. If you need to have the last word and what you think is the last laugh publicly...go ahead.
Robvs ... I don't wanna waste any more of my time.

I want to apologize to Soma and gyorkop for even entertaining your ridiculous argument on this thread with a reply.

Robvs, you're welcome to report me to any law enforcement you wish.
Why stop with the USDOJ ... send an inquiry to the FTC, FBI, CIA ... let them all know ... waste more of your life putting this horrible criminal behind bars!

Thanks again for the laughs. My friends and family have been THOROUGHLY entertained!! :lol:
Greg Rostami
[quote]On Mar 18, 2015, Robvs wrote:

As far as justification I do it 2 ways - one way they never even see what I google, it's a bold faced lie which I wrote up earlier using another routine. The other method has to do with psi forcing an additional city which is written on my palm. Both ways the use of my iPhone isn't tupically remembered. I think it's a mistake to do this effect solo, just my opinion. [/quote]

Interested in your first method. Where can I hear more about it?
No doubt that having an assistant makes the effect absolutely killer. I do, however, think it's completely manageable to fry them as an individual. It's probably dependent on presentation style. It can be weird to bust out your phone and start googling if you're the type of magician whose other effects are more "straight to the point" rather than "conversational." For me, I actually can't envision a scenario where someone is working in cahoots with me. Or "colluding" with me. [/quote]

It's on page 1 of this thread...

We just had this discussion in my mentalism group - my personal belief is that I NEVER do an effect relying on phone technology by itself...to me its like a modern billet - If I do a billet tear and immediately reveal whats on it, there's only so many ways to go from point A to B...
If I couple the phone WITH something else, I just find the mixing of effects and methods helps disguise and blend everything. Instead of thinking in terms of "what can I get away with" I try to think in terms of "what is the most subtle use of this technology..."

Just my opinion...
I think that this is a popular debate. Is there a such thing as "too perfect" to the point that all signs point to only one possible culprit? A friend of mine dresses up his invisible deck routine, involving a second deck of cards, a selection, etc. I always liked eliminating the thoughts in the spectator's mind "it's a f*rc*," etc. Others prefer to dress it up to keep them guessing.

One school of thought wants them to think there are no solutions, the other wants them to think there are a million solutions- but none quite right.

On a related note, I've been killing with City Prediction. However, I'm getting a lot of people who poorly guess "It's the microphone, voice activation." Now I know that this doesn't explain ANYTHING, but I absolutely hate it when simple minded people come up with a half-cocked solution in their head and would pass a lie detector test stating that they figured out your trick. It's terrible to have to say, "That's one way you could try to do it." or to challenge a recreation of the effect. In their minds, they've eliminated all possibilities and pulled a ridiculous suggestion into what they think is reality.

I've been experimenting with little tidbits to my patter such as, "We're doing a lot of talking here, there's no way that you're microphone would be able to distinguish which of our words is your chosen city, right?" While I HATE this- it seems to get a better reaction.

I've also found that changing the spectator's default map type to "standard," rather than the other two selections, helps with potential poor signal lag.
Hey Guys,

Just to make it clear: developing an App like teleFoto or City Prediction takes a lot of time and money. Just think about prototyping, testing, doing graphical work, developing, shooting/editing video, maintaining the server, paying developer license and Apple's share, doing promotion, etc.

We raised the price because of the following reasons:

- We would like to keep away those who are only interested in finding out the secret
- We believe that a good quality app should cost more than $0.99
- Only a "higher" price gives us the chance to develop further apps

These apps are magic props so if you are willing to pay 20 bucks for a special deck of cards then in my opinion $15.99 is not much for City Prediction.

Peter
Completely agree Peter. Great app and great thinking.
ROBVUS,

Are you just bored and stirring stuff up? If not, you have serious mental issues! I've noticed you've been all over the boards trolling, I'm thinking you just got out of a relationship and your heart broken? Seriously.
[quote]On Mar 20, 2015, Robvs wrote:
I think that this is a popular debate. Is there a such thing as "too perfect" to the point that all signs point to only one possible culprit? A friend of mine dresses up his invisible deck routine, involving a second deck of cards, a selection, etc. I always liked eliminating the thoughts in the spectator's mind "it's a f*rc*," etc. Others prefer to dress it up to keep them guessing.

One school of thought wants them to think there are no solutions, the other wants them to think there are a million solutions- but none quite right.

On a related note, I've been killing with City Prediction. However, I'm getting a lot of people who poorly guess "It's the microphone, voice activation." Now I know that this doesn't explain ANYTHING, but I absolutely hate it when simple minded people come up with a half-cocked solution in their head and would pass a lie detector test stating that they figured out your trick. It's terrible to have to say, "That's one way you could try to do it." or to challenge a recreation of the effect. In their minds, they've eliminated all possibilities and pulled a ridiculous suggestion into what they think is reality.

I've been experimenting with little tidbits to my patter such as, "We're doing a lot of talking here, there's no way that you're microphone would be able to distinguish which of our words is your chosen city, right?" While I HATE this- it seems to get a better reaction.

I've also found that changing the spectator's default map type to "standard," rather than the other two selections, helps with potential poor signal lag. [/quote]

This post implies that you may have to play with the spectator's phone AFTER the prediction is shown to reset default settings ?
If this is true, then having to touch the phone again before the spectator puts their phone away may be an issue ?

Is this true ?
Message: Posted by: GordonTheHypnotist (Apr 10, 2015 12:29AM)
No you do not have to reset any settings.
I just found a use for the effect...so, I did purchase a couple of days ago.
Cool method !
I can't get into the settings anymore....unless I somehow forgot how. When I open the app, the "screen" just comes on and I thought tapping somewhere would bring me into the settings. Is it broken or did I just have a brain fart? Can an owner pvt message me how to get into there again?
Swipe down with 3 fingers will take you to the settings. Some people seems to have a problem doing that gesture (I'm not sure why). So try a few more times if you can't get it on the first try.
Thanks so much dan!!!!
I'd love an update that made the broswer look just like safari!
[quote]On Apr 21, 2015, dizney79 wrote:
Thanks so much dan!!!! [/quote]

You're welcome Dizney :-)

[quote]On May 2, 2015, Jupiter47 wrote:
I'd love an update that made the broswer look just like safari! [/quote]

I'd love an update for iPad support.
[quote]On May 2, 2015, Jupiter47 wrote:
I'd love an update that made the broswer look just like safari! [/quote]

Apple has really strict rules about user interfaces and we do not want to risk to be rejected from the App Store. On the other hand, it has never been noticed by any of my spectators since there are a bunch of different browsers for iOS.

Peter
I remember reading here the concern about the name of this specific effect. And I thought there were good points on both sides. But today I ran across this little article from yahoo.com. A place I frequent daily. So here is the link, and I'm looking forward to reading your opinions on the subject after reading it.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/the-ultimate-review-20-magic-apps-for-your-phone-118960363524.html
And it says Gregs app Telefoto is only 25$. I paid twice that for it. But I have absolutely no complaints with telefoto. Awesome app.
Hi Everyone,

Since it is a long pause in this topic, we thought we would ask for your opinion about some technical question.

Currently you have 10 minutes to "finish" the trick after you placed down the spectator's phone to the table. One of our customers asked if we could raise that time.

Do you think that it would be useful?

Peter
Thank you Peter for this post. As you commented via email I think it would be important to give that option to be able to choose the waiting time. Personally, I have developed a routine that once made the prediction put the viewer phone in an envelope and I desvelo prediction at the end of the routine, but that lasts more than 10 minutes. I guess give that option to choose time is an extra for the application and insurance that many people could take advantage of. I hope that this change becomes a reality. Best regards.
Sorry for my English.
[quote]On Jun 24, 2015, gyorkop wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Since it is a long pause in this topic, we thought we would ask for your opinion about some technical question.

Currently you have 10 minutes to "finish" the trick after you placed down the spectator's phone to the table. One of our customers asked if we could raise that time.

Do you think that it would be useful?

Peter [/quote]

I'm confuse. If you adjust the time longer than 10mins. How will it affect ppl who use it less than 10mins?
It would not affect anything. Simply help to those who need more time in any routine to reveal the prediction
Any update as will it be on Android
I've been playing around with App magic for a few years now, including some of Rostami's apps.

I really love this though. I tend to use an assistant for this, but 95% of people won't figure out the solo methoed either. I did however find the odd person that said I used Siri on their phone : )

Great trick.
Is the safari interface on the iPhone app up to date?
Can I use this with a wifi connection?
Is there a way to print the written guide?
I would like some soft buttons to choose the time. Ex. 3 minutes, 5 minutes, 10 etc. This could be a manual entry if not soft button for any time up to 30 minutes.
There is a problem now with iOS 9 ...
When the spectator takes his phone back and see your prediction, in the upper left corner there is "back to Safari", which shows you was previously not in the Apple Maps app.
Maybe it can be solved?
[quote]On Oct 1, 2015, guido wrote:
Can I use this with a wifi connection? [/quote]

Yes, the performer and spectator need internet.
Dear seanksutton,

The interface is intentionally different from the built-in Safari. Apple is really picky when an app looks exactly the same as the original one and we wouldn't want to be rejected from the App Store.

There are lots of different alternate browsers for iPhones, so it should not be a problem.

Peter

[quote]On Sep 29, 2015, seanksutton wrote:
Is the safari interface on the iPhone app up to date? [/quote]
Dear guido,

If you need a printable version of the written guide please send me an email to gyorkop<AT>gmail<DOT>com.

Peter

[quote]On Oct 2, 2015, guido wrote:
Is there a way to print the written guide? [/quote]
Hello Gelopye,

First of all thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately Apple introduced this new feature in iOS 9 and it cannot be turned off in any way. We've tried to find a workaround for it but it seems that we cannot do anything against it.

Please note that it is really unlikely that the spectator will notice it. Even if she sees that, she can only go back to an empty page in Safari.

It shouldn't really affect your performance.

Peter

[quote]On Oct 17, 2015, Gelopye wrote:
There is a problem now with iOS 9 ...
When the spectator takes his phone back and see your prediction, in the upper left corner there is "back to Safari", which shows you was previously not in the Apple Maps app.
Maybe it can be solved? [/quote]
There is a prompt that pops up asking if you're sure you want to open Maps. Is there a way around that? Maybe Greg Rostami knows. Does his app Inject have this problem?
Dear Josh,

That pop up is only visible for about half a second while the spectator's device is turned face down so nobody sees it.

By the way Inject works the same way...

Peter

[quote]On Oct 21, 2015, Josh Clarke wrote:
There is a prompt that pops up asking if you're sure you want to open Maps. Is there a way around that? Maybe Greg Rostami knows. Does his app Inject have this problem? [/quote]
In my experience, the prompt doesn't go away on its own. You have to press "Open".
[quote]On Oct 24, 2015, Josh Clarke wrote:
In my experience, the prompt doesn't go away on its own. You have to press "Open". [/quote]

Do you use the new 9.1? Because, I just read that the pop up "stay" again on this new version. And I just read this on Inject's group. Perhaps this app is also affected by it.
Any updates soon?
when using the app - inputing a city, google freezes, and after 2-4 sec it begins to search but something is wrong before the results appear.

using 5S * 9.1 iOs
Dear City Prediction performers,

We've just discovered that in iOS 9.1 Apple has changed the behavior of Safari, that is the reason for this new pop up window.

We are working on fixing this issue but in the meantime we would suggest you to either make sure that the spectatorís iOS version is older than 9.1 or skip the trick temporarily. In a few days we will give an alternate solution for this. Until that we kindly ask for your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and we apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Peter
I love this app!
I love this app!
But yeah, please update to the 9.1 version :)
[quote]On Oct 25, 2015, gyorkop wrote:
Dear City Prediction performers,

We've just discovered that in iOS 9.1 Apple has changed the behavior of Safari, that is the reason for this new pop up window.

We are working on fixing this issue but in the meantime we would suggest you to either make sure that the spectatorís iOS version is older than 9.1 or skip the trick temporarily. In a few days we will give an alternate solution for this. Until that we kindly ask for your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and we apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Peter [/quote]

So, with the "jump" is being temporarily disabled. This effect can now be use on spec's android phone, right?
Dear City Prediction owner!

As you have probably experienced, City Prediction didn't work on the spectator's iPhone with Apple's new iOS 9.1 as it should have. The problem was that a prompt in the browser tab didn't close by itself and so it didn't automatically open the Maps application, either. So we put our heads together with the developers and decided to change how the app works and find a way to make it better!

What's new in 2.0?

From now on besides an iPhone you can borrow ANY KIND OF ANDROID DEVICE from the spectator. That's right! It can be a Samsung, HTC, Sony, Huawei, LG, Motorola, or any other Android device. We always felt the only limitation of City Prediction was that the spectator's phone had to be an iPhone. What if there is a group of people without an iPhone? From now on you are good to go either way!

Please email our lead developer Peter Gyorkop at gyorkop@gmail.com, for the new detailed instructions if you already have City prediction!

What do you have to do for the update?

NOTHING! That's the best part. We took care of everything for you. You don't even have to update your app. Check it out, it's already working!

Have a magical day!
Soma
Dear City Prediction owner!

As you have probably experienced, City Prediction didn't work on the spectator's iPhone with Apple's new iOS 9.1 as it should have. The problem was that a prompt in the browser tab didn't close by itself and so it didn't automatically open the Maps application, either. So we put our heads together with the developers and decided to change how the app works and find a way to make it better!

What's new in 2.0?

From now on besides an iPhone you can borrow ANY KIND OF ANDROID DEVICE from the spectator. That's right! It can be a Samsung, HTC, Sony, Huawei, LG, Motorola, or any other Android device. We always felt the only limitation of City Prediction was that the spectator's phone had to be an iPhone. What if there is a group of people without an iPhone? From now on you are good to go either way!

Please email our lead developer Peter Gyorkop at gyorkop@gmail.com, for the new detailed instructions if you already have City prediction!

What do you have to do for the update?

NOTHING! That's the best part. We took care of everything for you. You don't even have to update your app. Check it out, it's already working!

Have a magical day!
Soma
Now that is great service! The issue was very quickly resolved.

Can you release id 'jtc' for email address 'joshtylerclarke@gmail.com'?

I'm reinstalling the app immediately.
The best double post ever! At least for me, it is.
That was quick:) tnx!
Please email our lead developer, and he will release your ID. Peter Gyorkop: gyorkop@gmail.com

Although for the app to work you don't have to reinstall the app, since nothing has changed on the app side on your phone. Its already working!

Best,
Soma
Effect had more mystique when the city was revealed in an app rather than in a browser.
I completely agree. I know this isn't the app developers fault but this is totally a step backwards.

There's a nice disconnect when you ask them to open their maps and they have NO idea you ever left. Was the main advantage I thought, which is why this was my go to.
I see the app is no longer in the store. The new incarnation was terribly unreliable and a major step backward.
@Robvs

We took the app down from the app store temporarily to shoot new video instructions. We didn't want any new customers have trouble with their performance. It should be up again this week.

Regarding the update, this is mostly due to apple. They have made changes in iOS 9 that forced us to take this step. We tried to work around it other ways as well, but Apple left us only this solution.

You state the new version is 'terribly unreliable'. Please let us know what the issue is, and we will try our best to help you. Our lead developer is Peter Gyorkop, you can email him at gyorkop@gmail.com, and he will be most happy to help you.

Best,
Soma
Nice one SOMA. That's a good customer service!
[quote]On Nov 9, 2015, SOMA wrote:
@Robvs

We took the app down from the app store temporarily to shoot new video instructions. We didn't want any new customers have trouble with their performance. It should be up again this week.

Regarding the update, this is mostly due to apple. They have made changes in iOS 9 that forced us to take this step. We tried to work around it other ways as well, but Apple left us only this solution.

You state the new version is 'terribly unreliable'. Please let us know what the issue is, and we will try our best to help you. Our lead developer is Peter Gyorkop, you can email him at gyorkop@gmail.com, and he will be most happy to help you.

Best,
Soma [/quote]

I think you've just acknowledged the problem as being that it will no longer function as originally advertised. Not that there's a blame game to be had, but that certainly affects the value of this effect. Pinning the city in a web browser is nowhere near as powerful as pinning it in a app. An app feels like a controled and regulated environment to the spectator and it amazed me as a performer. The web, however, can be unknown, limitless, and franky suspicious. Spectators don't even realize that a map application uses the web. They figure it's all GPS driven.

I'll hold off on contacting support until you re-release the aforementioned directions. Let's see if that's the issue. pfff
Dear Everyone,

I have good news: City Prediction 2.0 is finally available in the App Store:
https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=918452311

Please make sure that you've watched the video instructions before performing the trick.

Enjoy your performances with City Prediction.

Peter
Thanks for the update. Can we get support for the iPhone 6 screen size so everything doesn't look so large in the app?
[quote]On Dec 8, 2015, Josh Clarke wrote:
Thanks for the update. Can we get support for the iPhone 6 screen size so everything doesn't look so large in the app? [/quote]

Sure, we are working on fixing it, but we kindly ask for your patience, the holiday season is busy for us too.

Peter
Hi guys,

I have just downloaded the app, and I have a few questions.

First of all, does it work on iPods?

Secondly, on the Ellusionist website it says it works with Apple Maps... Was that a mistake? Or is there a way to use Apple Maps for the effect?
Here is a link to that write-up: http://www.ellusionist.com/city-prediction-for-iphone.html

Thanks!
[quote]On Jan 1, 2016, Zegel Magic wrote:
Hi guys,

Secondly, on the Ellusionist website it says it works with Apple Maps... Was that a mistake? Or is there a way to use Apple Maps for the effect?
Here is a link to that write-up: http://www.ellusionist.com/city-prediction-for-iphone.html

Thanks! [/quote]

did you even take a peek at the directions? Everything you asked is there.If you just downloaded it, first step would be read the directions, then watch the videos. Once you have completed that, then you might have other questions. Reading this whole thread may help you too.
[quote]On Jan 4, 2016, magicmind wrote:
Hi guys,

Thanks! [/quote]

did you even take a peek at the directions? Everything you asked is there.If you just downloaded it, first step would be read the directions, then watch the videos. Once you have completed that, then you might have other questions. Reading this whole thread may help you too. [/quote]

Sorry if I'm missing something, but I did read the directions and I watched the video. As far as I noticed, iPods and Apple Maps were never mentioned.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but otherwise I would like to hear peoples thoughts on my question.

Thanks.
[quote]On Jan 5, 2016, Zegel Magic wrote:
[quote]On Jan 4, 2016, magicmind wrote:
Hi guys,

Thanks! [/quote]

did you even take a peek at the directions? Everything you asked is there.If you just downloaded it, first step would be read the directions, then watch the videos. Once you have completed that, then you might have other questions. Reading this whole thread may help you too. [/quote]

Sorry if I'm missing something, but I did read the directions and I watched the video. As far as I noticed, iPods and Apple Maps were never mentioned.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but otherwise I would like to hear peoples thoughts on my question.

Thanks. [/quote]

Perhaps, E have to update the description on their site. Apple Maps used to works on this app-- only until the iOS9 update was out.
Thank you daniltan!

That answers my question!
Could the developer change my ID's working principle to work with Baidu map.
In china ,we can not connect the google web and we all use baidu map: http://map.baidu.com/
Just thought I would let people know that City Prediction works on borrowed Kindles as well!
Just to let everyone know: there has been an update to City Prediction and now it looks correct on larger iPhone screens.
Josh,

You were faster than me :)

Yes, Apple has just accepted our update with improved layout on larger iPhones and refined setup method. I hope you like it.

Peter
What is "refined setup method"?
[quote]On Jan 10, 2016, Josh Clarke wrote:
What is "refined setup method"? [/quote]

Yeah I updated today and didn't see any difference. I'm really curious to know what they're talking about.
[quote]On Jan 11, 2016, Zegel Magic wrote:
[quote]On Jan 10, 2016, Josh Clarke wrote:
What is "refined setup method"? [/quote]

Yeah I updated today and didn't see any difference. I'm really curious to know what they're talking about. [/quote]
me too...........
Hi Guys,

The most important change in setup is that from now on you can use the same ID with the same email address as before if you have to reinstall City Prediction or replace your phone. Until now you had to contact me whenever you wanted to do it. We hope this new method is easier and more convenient for all of you.

Peter
That is a good feature.
[quote]On Jan 12, 2016, gyorkop wrote:
Hi Guys,

The most important change in setup is that from now on you can use the same ID with the same email address as before if you have to reinstall City Prediction or replace your phone. Until now you had to contact me whenever you wanted to do it. We hope this new method is easier and more convenient for all of you.

Peter [/quote]
That is pretty nice
[quote]On Jan 11, 2016, gyorkop wrote:
Hi Guys,

Peter [/quote]

Wow, this will be very helpful! Thank you!
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the positive feedback. It's good to see you like the new version :)

Peter
Does this update fix the app maps issue?
[quote]On Jan 17, 2016, towledge wrote:
Does this update fix the app maps issue? [/quote]

Hey Towledge,

What do you mean by app maps issue? Since iOS 9.1 was released City Prediction works with Google Maps instead of Apple Maps. We cannot do anything about it, Apple does not let us use the original method.

Peter
Will this ever be available for people who own android phones?
Just got this.

I think it's fantastic!
[quote]On Jul 23, 2016, saysold1 wrote:

I think it's fantastic! [/quote]

Me too.
I never used this app which I purchased quite a long time ago. How do I check if this is the first or latest version. I wanted to start using it. Do I have to reinstall it to get the new version 2? I have never set it up.
Thanks
Guido
[quote]On Nov 4, 2016, guido wrote:
I never used this app which I purchased quite a long time ago. How do I check if this is the first or latest version. I wanted to start using it. Do I have to reinstall it to get the new version 2? I have never set it up.
Thanks
Guido [/quote]

Hi Guido,

You can go to the App Store on your device to see if there is an update, if there is just download it. That should clear up any confusion of what version of the app you currently have.

Hope that helps!
Thank you Zegel. I surely will try that later.
Best/Guido
Is it possible to change the ID?
Thanks
Any ideas as to will it be available on Android?

Thanks
Has anyone been having issues lately with the prediction not working and redirecting to Soma's page when the phone auto shuts off? I've done it 3 or four times now for people without proper results.
[quote]On Jun 1, 2017, Stucky wrote:
Has anyone been having issues lately with the prediction not working and redirecting to Soma's page when the phone auto shuts off? I've done it 3 or four times now for people without proper results. [/quote]

Everything has been working correctly for me!
Can I perform this effect on my iphone instead of the spectator's ?
Can anyone help? Bought the app on January but donít remember how to get instructions on it. Anyone help? Thanks!
[quote]On Sep 15, 2018, MarkinMadison wrote:
Can anyone help? Bought the app on January but donít remember how to get instructions on it. Anyone help? Thanks! [/quote]

Swipe down on the home screen with three fingers.
[quote]On Sep 15, 2018, Eaden Marti wrote:
[quote]On Sep 15, 2018, MarkinMadison wrote:
Can anyone help? Bought the app on January but donít remember how to get instructions on it. Anyone help? Thanks! [/quote]

Swipe down on the home screen with three fingers. [/quote]

Thank you!!!
I would love to hear peopleís ideas and routines they use City Prediction for! Letís start a creative conversation!
Is spectator's phone must be IOS , or can be Android as well ?
Hey guys ! for those who still own it know from the past if its possible..
I have an android as my everyday carry phone but I do have an iphone laying around ..
If this needs only setup for account or "site" used then I can buy it on my old iphone and keep him at the drawer..

Or do I must have the iphone with me for preperation work ?

in summary, do I need to buy the app only to set it for use later on, or do I need it with me for performance?
Because if I only need it for set up I can set it up with a different phone and still use my android!
Thanks for answering, looking forward to hear.
[quote]On Oct 31, 2018, amirb401 wrote:
Hey guys ! for those who still own it know from the past if its possible..
I have an android as my everyday carry phone but I do have an iphone laying around ..
If this needs only setup for account or "site" used then I can buy it on my old iphone and keep him at the drawer..

Or do I must have the iphone with me for preperation work ?

in summary, do I need to buy the app only to set it for use later on, or do I need it with me for performance?
Because if I only need it for set up I can set it up with a different phone and still use my android!
Thanks for answering, looking forward to hear. [/quote]

You need an iPhone with you to perform it, so I best if you regularly use an iPhone anyways!
Anyone know how to re-login after being logged out of the app?
Anyone having or have had intermittent issues with his app?

The last couple of times Iíve performed this Iíve turned over the spectators phone to find....well not what should be there.
I performed this on my girlfriend when I first purchased it and it worked on her phone perfectly. Then after trying again yesterday (on her same phone) it didnít work.

Iíve emailed the developer so will wait and see what they say, but just wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this. Massively annoying as when it works itís killer!
[quote]On Dec 2, 2018, Rooster wrote:

The last couple of times Iíve performed this Iíve turned over the spectators phone to find....well not what should be there.
I performed this on my girlfriend when I first purchased it and it worked on her phone perfectly. Then after trying again yesterday (on her same phone) it didnít work.

Iíve emailed the developer so will wait and see what they say, but just wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this. Massively annoying as when it works itís killer! [/quote]

UPDATE:

Having heard back from Peter it turns out there was a slight issue with the app. He was kind enough to send me an updated tester version, which I was able to do some tests on and thankfully this has now sorted the issue with the main app!

Very quick and brilliant customer service from the developer, which canít be said for a few apps these days.

Iíve emailed the developer so will wait and see what they say, but just wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this. Massively annoying as when it works itís killer! [/quote]

UPDATE:

Having heard back from Peter it turns out there was a slight issue with the app. He was kind enough to send me an updated tester version, which I was able to do some tests on and thankfully this has now sorted the issue with the main app!

Very quick and brilliant customer service from the developer, which canít be said for a few apps these days. [/quote]

So will this be an update that is released to the AppStore soon, do you know?
I love this app. I had left it on my phone but havenít performed it in a while. I went back to revisit the effect and sadly, the url doesnít work anymore. I don't see an update in the App Store and have had no luck hearing back from peter. Do I need to delete the app and then download it again? Or is anyone else having the same issue I am? Iím sure thereís something I missed and hopefully it gets fixed.
:confused:

itís working for me
I figured it out. Had to play around with for a while and then it just started working again. Super strong reactions this has gotten.