(Close Window)
Topic: What happens when you get 50 posts?
Title kinda sums it up haha, seen a few posts about people getting 50 recently, just wondering if anything happens

thanks

oli
You turn into Lance Burton.
Seriously though haha lol
You get access most areas.
There are areas of the Café you can only access after 50 posts: buying and selling, secret sessions.

Hudson
When you reach 50 you become more aware. You notice that your bones hurt, you can't see so well, you don't hear so well etc etc.. 🔚🔜💀
At 80, you become even more aware! You notice that everything hurts, you turn on more lights, and the TV up louder.
Haha, Thanks Guys
55Hudson gave you the real answer. You gain access to the market area where you can buy and sell magic and DVDs. Soooooooooooooo many good deals from a lot of trustworthy sellers. And Secret Sessions where the real stuff is discussed more openly. Folks still try to be discreet and leave the real secrets to private messaging, but you can learn a lot there from some very knowledgeable people. Enjoy it when you get there.
You can build a post office.
You also have the foundation for a mighty nice fence.
[quote]On Nov 4, 2014, Magic Oli wrote:
Title kinda sums it up haha, seen a few posts about people getting 50 recently, just wondering if anything happens

thanks

oli [/quote]
They sent me $50
You get a message that your screen is locked out until you sign up to pay $200 monthly for access.
How do you find things to say to reach 50 posts?;)
Regimbeaup: The good Lord gave us two ears and one mouth, suggesting we should do at least twice as much listening as talking.

My only experience in public (so far) is doing tricks to illustrate children's sermons. If a question arises with an effect that I have actually performed (especially in that particular venue), then I have something substantive to contribute. Otherwise, I pretty much keep my mouth shut around here so I can listen to the wisdom of people like Mr. Oslund, Pop Haydn, etc. Yes, it seems sometimes that I will never get to 50 posts, but that's OK since there is a wealth of information in the public portions of this forum. But with acquired knowledge and experience, the subject matter for additional posts will present themselves. All in due time, hang in there...
Thanks a lot FatherWilliam,
Yes I tried to contribute as I could here and there. People were really helpful and replied to a thread I posted.
I feel really happy to have found this place, and hope to continue to contribute and learn from the best.
Have a good day
Pierre
Regimbeaup, I see you've now managed to break the 50 posts threshold. How has your life changed?
You will get more posts after that, simple.
You're post meter goes up to 50.
Don't know - will let you know when I get there :)
Well troy16, whadya think? Pretty magical isn't it? So many colors and lights. See the unicorns? The fairies. It's so wonderful...
[quote]On Nov 7, 2014, FatherWilliam57 wrote:
...we should do at least twice as much listening as talking. [/quote]

I guess I took the advice too seriously. Almost 12 years and still only 17 posts (18 now). Sheesh! I must be close to getting the forum equivalent of a "gimmie".
Hey Joey_Z, that makes almost 1.5 posts per year, which is still better than 1... I am so new, I think this post makes THREE total....
Since it's basically on topic, I'll allow myself a freebie post here as well, a couple of years and I'm still way off (by the way Rookie, it says you have ONE post!)
I noticed that too - sometimes the counter doesn't always go up after a post. Are you limited to a certain amount per thread that count?
You proceed to 51 then 52 and on and on. :) Actually your question has been answered above.
Look at the F.A.Q. at the top of the site. In "What are the rankings in the Magic Café forums" it says after 100 posts you change from New User to Regular User. The 50 posts level isn't mentioned. I still have a way to go either way.
Richard
You become a troll.
Just be sincere in your own development and take a genuine interst in the other community members. People will get to know you, and the post count will take care of itself, as it should.
Hi Magic Oli,
My previous response was not useful. The answer you are looking for is in the forum "When Dining with us", Topic: "Banquet Room and Secret Session Access".

Richard
[quote]On Nov 7, 2014, regimbeaup wrote:
How do you find things to say to reach 50 posts?;) [/quote]
Just make ambiguous comments quoting other people :D

It is working well for me, only 43 to go :P
Well, if it works for you ;)
Though this is a rather cynical way to put it, there is a good underlying point:
1) To be considered a full member you must have more than 50 posts.
2) If you ask questions that have been asked before, you will be kindly pointed toward the search function or the prior thread that addresses your question.
3) If you don't take the hint from step 2, you will be less politely pointed toward the search function.
4) You settle for some half-hearted "me too" style responses since you have learned your lesson, you have enough self awareness of your "new to magic" status, you realize that you are unlikely to ask anything revolutionary due to your new status, and you do not have the time to read back over the 3215 pages of posts that your search has yielded.
5) If you are able to make 46 more "me too" comments without feeling too foolish to continue or shamed enough by others to stop, you will reach the "magic number".

Though this seems like a rant, it really is not meant in anger. I Love this forum and I understand the need for the private section and the need to earn your entry; however, it is not easy to navigate the process if you want to contribute in a meaningful way but do not have the experience to do so...

Also, though I am jumping off of Hydrosteve's comments, I am certainly not trying to speak for him.

Whew...I feel better now (though it is sometimes a lot easier being a lurker :))
[quote]On Nov 4, 2014, george1953 wrote:
When you reach 50 you become more aware. You notice that your bones hurt, you can't see so well, you don't hear so well etc etc.. 🔚🔜💀 [/quote]

hahaha Love this.. And can relate.. I am almost 50... :(
Well...I reached 83 last month. Who am I? Why am I writing this? etc.? Everything hurts. I got a magnifying glass for Christmas, and I say, "Ha? a lot.

And, when I get the 21 cards laid out in three rows of seven, I forget what comes next.................

But, I can still spell PRESTIDIGITATION!!
Joey_Z

I think yer 'RAnt' should be a sticky bun.
Hey Kuroth, I'll swap for 50 anytime you like, I would jump at chance of being 50 again.
Hope my magic will get better after 50 posts!
It's a bad sign when you miss-spell a word so badly that even the spellchecker fails to recognise it!
Is this thread used to make 50 Posts? I am in!
A little disappointed that I didn't hear angels singing :)
[quote]On Jan 19, 2015, Joey_Z wrote:
A little disappointed that I didn't hear angels singing :) [/quote]

Shhhhh. That's part of getting into the Inner Circle.
Ooo Ooo...inner circle?? How many posts do I need for that???
[quote]On Jan 19, 2015, Joey_Z wrote:
Ooo Ooo...inner circle?? How many posts do I need for that??? [/quote]

You need 1000 post to get there.

Todd
[quote]On Jan 4, 2015, Joey_Z wrote:
Though this is a rather cynical way to put it, there is a good underlying point:
1) To be considered a full member you must have more than 50 posts.
2) If you ask questions that have been asked before, you will be kindly pointed toward the search function or the prior thread that addresses your question.
3) If you don't take the hint from step 2, you will be less politely pointed toward the search function.
4) You settle for some half-hearted "me too" style responses since you have learned your lesson, you have enough self awareness of your "new to magic" status, you realize that you are unlikely to ask anything revolutionary due to your new status, and you do not have the time to read back over the 3215 pages of posts that your search has yielded.
5) If you are able to make 46 more "me too" comments without feeling too foolish to continue or shamed enough by others to stop, you will reach the "magic number".
[/quote]

Thais answer is the biggest piece of trash I've read on the Café in a few yrs.

Don't believe this n00b.
The Café is way friendlier than this guy makes it out to be, in fact she/he is completely wrong.
There are Magi who will help a person out in a second with no questions asked.
Thank you for proving a small part of my point. In the rest of the post I mentioned my love for this site. To be more specific, I see many examples of people being very giving and helpful (and this seems to be overwhelmingly the majority). But a few misplaced brush off comments or incidental labeling of people ("noob") can be discouraging enough to those that are new that many will never hit their 50. The risk of getting flamed is too high for some people. I have chosen to be a lurker until I felt I had a good understanding of the community before I made myself public (and an open target). But I also waited until I felt I could contribute in a more meaningful way.

I am sorry to any who felt like my comments were bashing the café or its fantastic members, it was only meant to express how hard it can be to learn to navigate the forum. I should choose my words more carefully.
Friend Tree........
I think that Joey_Z has made some humorous comments, and, I don't think, especially in his January 4th post that he wrote a "big piece of trash".

He writes in sentences, which is a lot more than many who post comments here, do!

In the circus, we use a term: "First o' May", to "identify" a "tenderfoot" who joined on after May 1, when the weather gets nicer. The term is not a sarcastic expression, and it is also not a disparaging one.

Back in 1945, I was a "First o' May". I was "green". I remember an old "proverb": "When you are green, you can get ripe, When you are ripe, you just get rotten!" After 70 years "on the boards", perhaps, I've become rotten???

In the two years plus since I "joined this show", I've read more than a few comments, from "old timers" that showed their total lack of understanding. I'm sure that they meant well, but.........

I think that most of the "active" posters seem to me to be most sincere.

Enough! it's time for coffee.

O

May I suggest that you read Joey Z's reply (January 20) just above..
Thanks for the defense Dick, but it is a good reminder that the light tone in my head while writing does not necessarily translate into a light tone in the reader's head. We all have enough experience with written communication to know this, but I sometimes forget in the heat of the moment.

Bowers - yikes! It took me just shy of 12 years to hit my 50 posts. At that rate I can look forward to inner circle status at the age of 271. I guess that Wizard is right...I will really hear the angels sing at that point. :)
Joey_Z........Where in the Badger state, do you live? PM me. Just curious. Occasionally, I venture forth (or fifth, even) from Escanaba. Maybe we can meet for lunch? (Does McDlonald's take reservations?

Angels singing! That's how, as a little boy, I learned what God's name is. (His name is Harold. --"Hark the Harold angels sing!")

Qui bene csntat, bis orat!!!

O
:OOOPS...That last line should be>>> Qui bene cantat, bis orat!
??
Message: Posted by: Szymon Krzysztoszek (Jan 26, 2015 08:17PM)
Nice spam. I'm waiting for 50 posts :D
I wasn't even aware of this '50 posts' thing. I just clicked on the thread because it was recent. But good to know. :)

Brian
[quote]On Jan 23, 2015, Dick Oslund wrote:
:OOOPS...That last line should be>>> Qui bene cantat, bis orat! [/quote]

erinda01 followed my thresd with a ??? !!

Ergo! (therefore) I will translate!>>> He who sings well, prays twice! <<< (Someone posted about hearing angels singing when "you" accumulate 1,000 posts)
[quote]On Nov 4, 2014, Wizard of Oz wrote:
55Hudson gave you the real answer. You gain access to the market area where you can buy and sell magic and DVDs. Soooooooooooooo many good deals from a lot of trustworthy sellers. And Secret Sessions where the real stuff is discussed more openly. Folks still try to be discreet and leave the real secrets to private messaging, but you can learn a lot there from some very knowledgeable people. Enjoy it when you get there. [/quote]

Thank you!
There are already too many forums to keep up with in the Café ha ha. There is more? First I have about them too. I wish there was a "show new posts" button like many other forums have.... suree would make it easier to keep up. :)
I've been coming to this site for years but hardly said a word til recently. Mainly been adding to my collection of collectible magic, so when I come here, I search for "mikame" and "magic wagon" and try to help out in whatever threads pop up. Then skim the remaining (there really are way too many here) and try to find a few more threads to be helpful in.
[quote]On Jan 10, 2015, Eichenberg wrote:
Hope my magic will get better after 50 posts! [/quote]
I hope also :)
As of this post, I'm at 31 posts in the 2 years since I joined the Café. At this rate, I'll be 'downstairs' in late 2016. :hmm:
I'm trying to be more active, but I don't like to post just for the sake of posting (unless that's exactly what I'm doing here!)
Can't wait to get to 50!
Message: Posted by: Szymon Krzysztoszek (Mar 12, 2015 05:40PM)
Don't worry. Nothing special after 50 posts.
[quote]On Mar 12, 2015, Szymon Krzysztoszek wrote:
Don't worry. Nothing special after 50 posts. [/quote]

I dunno, the buying and selling area interests me. I'd rather buy an item here at a fair price than from sellers on eBay, who base their book prices on AbeBooks' over-inflated priced inventory.

Brian
You go out and flame about some new prop, like the hidden hand, fighting back and forth with people to ad nauseam, then presto, you have 50 post. Seriously, I just confronted this with someone and since people can write anything to get to 50 post, it doesn't seem like a very good entry requirement. Quantity of speech doesn't not always mean quality. That said, they have to have some easy metric to use on a computer forum like this so I don't have a better way to suggest.

[quote]On Nov 7, 2014, regimbeaup wrote:
How do you find things to say to reach 50 posts?;) [/quote]
Ahnee, Ahnish naa? Wabojeg!
Dick, Wow...you know who Wabojeg is? Nobody ever knows who Wabojeg is! Meegwetch
Chi meegwetch!

I'll PM you in a day or two. I'm retired in Escanaba. I haven't been in A2 in a couple of years.

Booshoo!

Dick
I should have 32 post (33 with this one) but the last 2 were not added. I don´t know why.
[quote]On Mar 24, 2015, widuk wrote:
I should have 32 post (33 with this one) but the last 2 were not added. I don´t know why. [/quote]

Your posts don't count in certain forums.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=120958&forum=50

Brian
[quote]On Mar 24, 2015, B. Edwards wrote:
[quote]On Mar 24, 2015, widuk wrote:
I should have 32 post (33 with this one) but the last 2 were not added. I don´t know why. [/quote]

Your posts don't count in certain forums.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=120958&forum=50

Brian [/quote]

Thanks, I knew that, but I still never entered in any of those forums. Anyway, It seems that everything is correct again.
Glad to see it's better for you now.
Is the buying and selling area working for Europe too? :)
I tend to agree with Joey z on a certain level. These forums can be intimidating without getting the "feel" of the place first. I've been lurking for four years and am only now becoming more active. I think the good guys far outweigh the bad but the fear of getting flamed is real.
Nothing at all....what a disappointment!...wait what's that noise? A large rectangular monolith has just appeared in the corner of the room...it's beginning to glow............my god.........it's full of stars!...........
Bogbadger...just don't try opening the pod doors.
I'm sorry Wizard of Oz, I'm afraid I can't do that....
Message: Posted by: Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse (Apr 7, 2015 09:29AM)
The magic Café becomes your oyster.
What, full of sand, grit and the occasional pearl?
I'm trying for 50 posts too, but feel the content of my posts are contributing little to nothing. I posting this against by better judgment!
...and this!
Zoic, it's really not that difficult and happens sooner than you think. Just look around the Café and visit areas you are interested in...explore. Find threads that you can read up on, familiarize yourself with, and get involved in by offering opinions, suggestions, stories, reviews...I know I reached over 50 posts before I even realized there was such a thing.
I didn't see diffefrence between before or after.
I'm kidding :)
You will be more responsible after 50 posts
I don't like to post if I have nothing to say but... another post here to reach 50 ;)
Joining the trend. My second step to get to 50. I hear we get a sleight named after us after we hit 50 ;)
[quote]On May 1, 2015, wk3 wrote:
Joining the trend. My second step to get to 50. I hear we get a sleight named after us after we hit 50 ;) [/quote]

That's a huge responsibility though! :)
Well apparently you don't stop being a "New user" after 50 posts.
So the real question is, what happens when you reach more than 90000 posts? ;)
Time to go for 50 now, I guess.
You get sent a link to a YouTube video that teaches you how to do the Magic Café Secret Handshake.
Jan Schattling -- the switch from "New user" to "Regular user" happens when you hit 101 posts.
Couldn't resist the chance for my 9th post. the reason we have two ears is to detect which direction the hungry feline with the long teeth is attacking from. :-)
If you looked at the OP before you posted, it's two years + a couple of months, since Magic Oli started this thread. Oli lives in Australia.

I corresponded with him in November and December 2014. We talked about simple things like TTs, etc. He's now in college, and is either too busy to be involved with the Café, OR, has lost interest with magic, as he stopped corresponding, "back then".

Apparently, many join the Café, to learn how tricks are done. Apparently, they seem to think that all magicians DO is "swap tricks"!

In the four years since I joined, I've enjoyed communicating with both amateurs and professionals. When I was on the road, for 50 years, I was busy performing. I didn't have time for "things" like the Café--and, the Café didn't exist, back then, anyway.

I've noticed that a great number of "names" are only seen once or twice, then, they fade into oblivion. The "rule of fifty" is a good rule. It "filters out" those who "...only see the top of it".

BTW it has been YEARS since I cared about learning how a trick is DONE!

The last "new" trick that I added to my act, is the "Professor's Nightmare", the secret of which, I gave $1.00 for, to my old friend, Gene Gordon, in 1959. TWELVE years later, I finally, courtesy of another old friend, Karrell Fox, learned a better way to set up the necessary "situation" so that the trick could be done, gracefully. THEN, with a little thought, I "resurrected" an old technique for counting the three ropes. THEN, I had to develop a presentation that would entertain ANY audience! --I did.

A "final" word: Some people just "have to say something" --! Others have "something to say". If you are a member of the second group, eventually you'll have "fifty"!
I have a difficult time posting on forums as most members with more knowledge or experience usually have better input. I am not about finding out how a trick is done, I'm more into the enjoyment of magic when it comes to watching it. I've been involved in magic as a hobby, as a spectator, for about 40 years now.

I enjoy reading the forums in the areas that I have an interest.
Guess who's back, back again. Oli's back, tell a friend :D Hey guys, I've actually been extremely busy with university the past 2 years. My apologies, Dick, for falling out of touch with you, the work came so thick and fast that I fell off the magic wagon for a while so to say. It's nice to see that you're still heavily involved in the Café. I've been preparing for medical school and completing my BSc these past years so free time has been a bit scarce. Hopefully this year I will have more time to focus on my magic as I miss it dearly.
Welcome back, Oli!

No apologies needed! I can still remember my college days! There just wasn't time for anything but, "hit the books"! I have a young friend, a former member of my Scout camp staff, who is finishing up his fourth year at the MAYO CLINIC, in Rochester, Minnesota. He will probably "end up" as an ophthalmologist. (Hey! I can even spell that! --thanks to my two years of Greek, and, six years of Latin!!!) We haven't kept up much of a correspondence for the past four years. His magic interests are currently "on hold" too.

One of my old profs had an expression: "When you're through learning, you're through!" So! PRIORITIES! There will be plenty of time to sneak rabbits into hats, when you have that MD!

Become educated!!!

O
[quote]On Jan 16, 2017, medievalmagician wrote:
I have a difficult time posting on forums as most members with more knowledge or experience usually have better input. I am not about finding out how a trick is done, I'm more into the enjoyment of magic when it comes to watching it. I've been involved in magic as a hobby, as a spectator, for about 40 years now.

I enjoy reading the forums in the areas that I have an interest. [/quote]

"Aint nuthin' wrong with that!"

Oh! Ya left out "in" in yer last sentence!!! (Charlie Miller always tried to end a sentence with a PREPOSITION!) hee hee
Well said Dick :D
I am one of those names that is only seen on rare occasions in a post, but that is because when I am on the forums I spend a lot of time reading and learning (the primary reason I joined). I'd say 19 out of 20 times I come seeking thoughts there is already a post and a great amount of information to read about what I wanted to know. The search function is my friend. That is good, yet makes it harder for reaching 50 posts. Not a huge deal to me though, as I am getting a lot from what I can see already. (Thanks to all of you!)
Never mind extra forums, I'm hoping it'll mark the moment I finally get a decent DL technique...
[quote]On Jan 16, 2017, Dick Oslund wrote:
If you looked at the OP before you posted, it's two years + a couple of months, since Magic Oli started this thread. Oli lives in Australia.

I corresponded with him in November and December 2014. We talked about simple things like TTs, etc. He's now in college, and is either too busy to be involved with the Café, OR, has lost interest with magic, as he stopped corresponding, "back then".

Apparently, many join the Café, to learn how tricks are done. Apparently, they seem to think that all magicians DO is "swap tricks"!

In the four years since I joined, I've enjoyed communicating with both amateurs and professionals. When I was on the road, for 50 years, I was busy performing. I didn't have time for "things" like the Café--and, the Café didn't exist, back then, anyway.

I've noticed that a great number of "names" are only seen once or twice, then, they fade into oblivion. The "rule of fifty" is a good rule. It "filters out" those who "...only see the top of it".

BTW it has been YEARS since I cared about learning how a trick is DONE!

The last "new" trick that I added to my act, is the "Professor's Nightmare", the secret of which, I gave $1.00 for, to my old friend, Gene Gordon, in 1959. TWELVE years later, I finally, courtesy of another old friend, Karrell Fox, learned a better way to set up the necessary "situation" so that the trick could be done, gracefully. THEN, with a little thought, I "resurrected" an old technique for counting the three ropes. THEN, I had to develop a presentation that would entertain ANY audience! --I did.

A "final" word: Some people just "have to say something" --! Others have "something to say". If you are a member of the second group, eventually you'll have "fifty"! [/quote]

Appreciate all the sage advice you can offer us, Dick!
On reaching 50 posts you set free Emilio Estevez and YOU become 'The Bishop Of Battle'
Working hard to reach the magic line to cross over to wonderland

I love secret areas and am a very curious guy on all levels ...

Access to buying and selling is also extremely exciting
I'm trying to get to 50. I have some stuff I want to sell.
On the way. Here is one more :)
That is not a LEGITIMATE post, Hence the exact rule.