(Close Window)
Topic: Bye Bye Hank
Message: Posted by: TommyJ (Nov 4, 2014 06:48PM)
I have a silk prop called the Bye Bye Hank. I believe it was released by Al Cohen but I'm not positive. It is a utility device and very practical. I don't see them advertised anywhere. I don't need one but a friend of mine is looking for one. Does anyone have any information if these are made but go under a different name? Just curious.

Thanks
Tommy
Message: Posted by: Bill Hegbli (Nov 4, 2014 11:10PM)
Sorry, but I know the answer to your question, so don't make any smart remarks, just read my answer, and say Thank You.

It was sold mainly by Tannen's as they were the number one leader in magic in the 1970's. The trick was originally called the [b]Go Go Vanisher[/b].

Added thoughts:
I don't know if it originated in England or the U.S., but Harry Stanley had it listed in his Magic Catalog. Tannen was known for "borrowing" many tricks from England, so who knows. It has always been made in a nice quality cloth. Al Cohen carried on the tradition, I have his version still today.

Good device to use with an Egg Bag routine instead of the Devil's Hank.
Message: Posted by: Dick Oslund (Nov 5, 2014 07:58AM)
Yes! Bill has given you a good "history" of the GO GO Vanisher!

Abbott's also had a GO GO.

It's basically a "modified" Devil Hank. You can hold a billiard ball (or similar small prop)at your finger tips, cover it momentarily with the GO GO, then, whip the GO GO away, and the ball is gone!

The late Don Lawton's Egg Bag routine used a Devil Hsnk. The GO GO would,very likely serve just as well--maybe even better!

A very nice and practical "utility" prop. I would imagine that Greg Bordner (Abbott's owner/manager) would make one up for you.

Thanks! Bill, for reminding me of this very useful prop!
Message: Posted by: TommyJ (Nov 5, 2014 08:17AM)
[quote]On Nov 5, 2014, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Sorry, but I know the answer to your question, so don't make any smart remarks, just read my answer, and say Thank You.

It was sold mainly by Tannen's as they were the number one leader in magic in the 1970's. The trick was originally called the [b]Go Go Vanisher[/b].

Added thoughts:
I don't know if it originated in England or the U.S., but Harry Stanley had it listed in his Magic Catalog. Tannen was known for "borrowing" many tricks from England, so who knows. It has always been made in a nice quality cloth. Al Cohen carried on the tradition, I have his version still today.

Good device to use with an Egg Bag routine instead of the Devil's Hank. [/quote]

Thanks Bill. But why would I make any smart remarks???
Message: Posted by: Sealegs (Dec 8, 2014 09:51AM)
Can anyone offer any reasons as to why this isn't as widely used for vanishing small items as the Devil's Hank?
Message: Posted by: JNeal (Dec 8, 2014 10:25AM)
It takes more skill ( really a knack) to use well.
Message: Posted by: Dougini (Dec 8, 2014 01:42PM)
[quote]On Nov 5, 2014, TommyJ wrote:
[quote]On Nov 5, 2014, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Sorry, but I know the answer to your question, so don't make any smart remarks, just read my answer, and say Thank You.
[/quote]

Thanks Bill. But why would I make any smart remarks??? [/quote]

I was wondering that, too! All due respect, Bill. BIG smile! :)

Doug
Message: Posted by: Harry Murphy (Dec 8, 2014 02:03PM)
The Go Go vanisher aka the Go Go Hank was invented by Stewart James in Canada using old military issue olive drab handkerchiefs He put it out in about 1947. Max Andrews had the rights (bought the rights from James to it in the UK and it was ripped off by Harold Stanley who sold it as "Hankey-Pankey. The history and good handling instructions can be found in "Stewart James in Print: the first 50 years" (page 388-393).

As Bill says above, It is a good vanisher for small objects.
Message: Posted by: StevieDee (Dec 9, 2014 09:16PM)
I thought "Bye bye Hank" was originated by a judge in Boston.
Message: Posted by: markofmagic (Dec 10, 2014 03:40AM)
I believe the Laflin Magic Store carries a version of what you are talking about
Message: Posted by: Dick Oslund (Dec 10, 2014 08:02AM)
[quote]On Dec 9, 2014, StevieDee wrote:
I thought "Bye bye Hank" was originated by a judge in Boston. [/quote]

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL!
Message: Posted by: ROBERT BLAKE (Dec 10, 2014 12:13PM)
Http://www.amazon.com/Vanisher-Stewart-James-Royal-Magic/dp/B000SV5H2C
is this it?
Message: Posted by: Dougini (Dec 10, 2014 08:40PM)
[quote]On Dec 9, 2014, StevieDee wrote:
I thought "Bye bye Hank" was originated by a judge in Boston. [/quote]

OMG! I just got it! ROFLMFAO! Now that is classic!

Doug
Message: Posted by: Harry Murphy (Dec 11, 2014 08:06PM)
Robert that's a version of it.

StevieDee you win! That was the best laugh I've had in months!
Message: Posted by: StevieDee (Dec 14, 2014 11:49PM)
Thank you. I'll be here all week.
Message: Posted by: Dick Oslund (Dec 15, 2014 12:50AM)
I just love a good 'inside' joke!
Message: Posted by: 55Hudson (Dec 22, 2014 10:25PM)
[quote]On Dec 15, 2014, Dick Oslund wrote:
I just love a good 'inside' joke! [/quote]

I suspect it is a lot funnier from the outside looking in, rather than from the inside looking out!

Hudson
Message: Posted by: funsway (Dec 26, 2014 06:55PM)
Back to serious, I have used the Go GO Vanisher many times successfully. Its advantage is that you can vanish an object from an almost flat table or item such as an inverted mug.

Even from person's hand. My favorite object is an artificial egg.

You can also use it in reverse to produce an object. Show the scarf on both sides, play it on the table, snatch it away to reveal a small Chop Cup. Voila!

I think Magic Warehouse carries them.