(Close Window)
Topic: Is It OK To Ask About Techniques?
Is it OK to ask for tips on how to do certain things? I only ask because I know that it's important not to reveal stuff about how all magic tricks are done to the public. Though I suppose if they really wanted to know, they could just buy the books:-P. But I'd rather be safe than sorry, so I check first.

I'm having a lot of trouble (as in I can't do it at all) doing a certain single technique.

Thanks!

Ken
Hi Ken.

Your questions may be answered down below after you have achieved 50 posts. Asking how to do certain techniques on this forum will not work as it is accessible to Google and other search engines.

Ray
I don't think it would be a violation of Café ethics when submitting a question to ask for a list of sources that will point you to the information you are looking for. For instance, if you wanted help on learning how to make fans of cards appear from at your fingertips or specific coin sleights, members of the Café could provide you with the titles of books or videos that might help. At times I have even suggested--again in a private message rather than the open forum--various tips to help the inquirer in his/her progress. Another option is to use asterisks to replace key letters in a secret, like this: "I'm having trouble with my s---- f-- technique" in the Finger/Stage Manipulation section. Personally, I like to find out first what sources the inquirer has already tried just to make sure that the inquiry is serious and not an attempt just to learn secrets.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
And THAT is why I asked first. Thanks guys!

Ken
(see Anatole's post above.