(Close Window)
Topic: Tricks Against Humanity by Eric Ross
ADULT CONTENT! MUST BE 18 OR OVER!!

http://www.ericrossmagic.com/eric-ross-products-tricks-against-humanity.html

In the world of magic, there exists tricks not talked about. Tricks we're not allowed to show you.

These tricks are considered offensive, explicit, filthy, appalling and most of all... SHOCKING!

These are the "Tricks Against Humanity"!

In this box, you'll learn 14 Tricks to offend, appall, and shock your audience!

Tricks using condoms, tampons, keno tickets, powder, etc!

Tricks designed and tested from pros all over the world! What better way to have some adult fun?!

This is not for everyone, but those who use this content will LOVE "Tricks Against Humanity"!

Available everywhere soon!
Any performances of some of the tricks anywhere?
Or even descriptions of the effects, anything? I love the idea of the project, but I can't blindly pay $50 bucks without some more information.
[quote]On Nov 14, 2014, MVoss wrote:
Or even descriptions of the effects, anything? I love the idea of the project, but I can't blindly pay $50 bucks without some more information. [/quote]

You get a manuscript AND a gimmick for ONLY $50! What could possibly go wrong? :bigsmile:

Any chance that the picture on the website is referring to people that purchase this with only this much information? ;)
I like the idea of this and some of the tricks are great (they've been published before), what I'm wondering is the price and what you receive.
Hello barts185,
Sorry, it should say DVD and Gimmick. I will have my web tech fix asap.. There is NO manuscript. ;)

I too wish we could show you more. Unfortunetly, the tricks involved are a bit dirty, and we were unable to make a video with the effects.

The DVD has a performance of each effect. So you can see them all on there. ;)

I will try and go into a little more detail for each descripion of each effect.

The Tricks:

1. The Keno Man - Ron Jaxon - Magically make an orgami man out of a keno card. Have your spectator shake his hand for a suprise end!
2. The Lemon Party - Anonymous - Have your spectator think of the first scenario that comes to mind. ANYTHING. You show them your prediction. A VERY disturbing trick.
3. Sponge Dong - Goshman - A shocking end to your favorite sponge ball routine! Comes BLACK!
4. One Night Stand - The Amazing Allison - You have a prediction for the night. Ask a lady to write down her name and phone number on a piece of paper. The paper Vanishes, only to be found again in your wallet. Sealed in a condom!
5. The Black Pool Prediction - Peter McKinnon - The BEST heckler effect. A thought of card vanishes. You have the spec look into the card box they've been holding.. BOOM!
6. Card to Tampon - Eric Ross - Well, it is what it is.. A tampon visually switches places with a selected card.
7. Blow - Anonymous - You show a baggie full of white powder and a spoon. You take a spoonful of the powder, and it visually disappears up your nose in an instant!
8. The D*ck Trick - Mr. Phun E. - One card is picked and lost in deck. then the deck is shaped into, well, you guessed it! As she strokes it, one card jumps out! Her card!
9. Self Rolling Joint - Eric Ross - A zig zag paper is placed in the hand. A sprinkle of herb is also placed into the same hand. When hand is opened, it seems as tho it rolled itself into a joint!
10. Magic Flip Offs - Garrett Thomas - GT helped me put together a collection of magic flip offs.
11. Disappearing Coke - Mark Bendell & Gary Jones - 4 baggies of white powder are shown. spectator picks 3 to hold onto. With a sniff, you make all the content of #4 disappear in an instant!
12, Flash Joint - Anonymous - Make a joint appear at your fingertips in a flash!
13. David Coppafeel - Anonymous - Magician gets more than a handful in this brave effect.
14. Dirty Magazine Test - Paul Romhany (Tutorial Only) - This is a great stage piece added last minute. A book test using a Dirty Magazine!

A few of these effects sell for more than $20 on their own! This is a great deal! And you're only going to get ALL this content on one project.

"Tricks Against Humanity"

Hope this clears some things up! ;)

Thanks!

E.
www.ericrossmagic.com
You know, I am in no way a prude, but, magic has suffered from so many BAD performers that now there is a product specifically designed to be tacky, offensive, and frankly more of a gag reel than magic. Come on magicians, how many civilians actually get to witness professional caliber close up magic? Do you REALLY want go down THIS road?! What is the POINT of Card to Tampon? The D*ck Trick?

This all seems lie the horrible oily back lot carny or seedy third rate punter with cheap whiskey on his breath and hasn't bathed for a month showing up and robbing an audience of a rare, amazing experience of magic and degrading it to a glorified set of magic shop gags.

Why not just go to a cheap brick and mortar and buy some plastic dog feces?

Eric, you and your magic are MUCH better than this. Now, before I am flamed, I challenge ANYONE here to convince me that this product is "not so bad." But offer an intelligent argument. I am open to changing paradigms but only if the argument is lucid and well considered.

I am the dissenting voice and my position is that some magicians through their horrific performances have already committed tricks against humanity. Why do I know this? There are 10,000 hacks on YouTube I can either watch for free, or, let's get avant-garde and project these YouTube idiots on a screen. A projector is cheaper than this and you don't have to do a thing and maybe in the right "venue" you could charge a nice bit of change. I would suggest topping off the exhibition with a mashup of Yoko Ono/Dumpster Juice/samples of cats fighting and this soundtrack played a the loudest level your PA system can handle.

Sorry Eric. I realize I am a nobody. Your other material is superb but it saddens and angers me that many so-called magicians would actually consider BUYING this.

So, convince me otherwise. Tell me why I should spend money on this over other recently product like Simon Aronson's new work, Th Complete Al Leech, or the complete run of Genii (this is admittedly more expensive).

Convince me that this is good magic, that if I buy this it will "pay for itself." I want to be convinced that Card to Tampon is going to make women feel very comfortable, so much so that won't say, "you are a F****** Neanderthal and if this is magic, then it is more offensive than folms which exploit women. At least those are honest as you know what they are made for.

Garbage in, Garbage out is my OPINION thus far.

Best,
Vlad

PS: I will not respond to uncivilized ad hominem. I will respond to intelligent discussion.
I wonder, Vlad, if you're missing the point? You ask why you should spend money on this rather than, say, a sub to Genii.

Clearly you shouldn't. This is because you are a sensitive, thoughtful, courteous and cultured performer and I daresay your audiences are the same. And I'm not being sarcastic here: your contributions to the discussions here have shown that to be more or less true.

But others among us have different performing personas, have different audiences, and wildly differing requirements for what we want to do with our magic. A magician doing walk-around at a corporate cocktail party will have no use at all for any of this. But the very same guy might be out the following evening with a bunch of his old team-mates from college football and one or two of these might go down an absolute storm.

Or, depending on your friends, some of these could work in a mixed group. Let's take "Keno Man." The description's a bit unclear, but let's imagine it's an origami man whose willie pops out when you shake its hand? Funny, IMO. Among most of my close friends, that would be considered highly amusing. (I know, they're not a sophisticated bunch...)

Or the Goshman ding-dong, I own one. I bought it specifically for one performance, on request. I have only done it that once, but it is still talked about - and in a good way!

I think we should trust people to judge their audiences.
This is for a very specialized market, which does exists. University students at a magic bar absolutely love this stuff, and the sad part is - these are the ones that tip. This collection of tricks is for bar magicians and some street / buskers.

Its not put together to replace any professional magicians close-up act or to change the world of magic - its a specialized product for a niche group of magicians (and arguably some teenagers looking for a laugh).

Not every product made is designed to impress everyone. There are multiple markets from childrens, mentalism to illusions. The bar magician is a market that will benefit from these tricks.

But... That still doesn't excuse the lack of an actual trailer. You say you have performances for all the tricks on the DVD - surely you can edit a 2 minute piece together showing us the reaction shots if nothing else. I cannot see how showing us any of the tricks would be an issue also. The fact that you refuse to show us the tricks makes me doubt their effectiveness and quality of the product - you are hiding something and I will not be buying this product until I see either a performance based trailer, or lots, and I mean LOTS of positive reviews.

But the concept intrigued me to search out this thread so I really do hope its what I want to see.

Steve

P.S. - worth mentioning "The ILC deck" and "The Nun" which seem to be missing from this collection.
Great. I'm sure Hardin, Vernon and others would applaud such a release. don't worry about quality, class or trying to elevate the art away from spangly waistcoats and "put out your hand, no, the clean one...".
Here's an idea you can have...the living and aids test...there go...tenner dollars for the secret...
I agree with Vlad [not that anyone cares!] I'm reminded of the great David Devant when he said ''All done with kindness''
But of course that route takes work!
I for one will probably buy this product, why you ask? I perform mainly close up and a lot of what I do is cocktail parties. However, would I do this in one of my gigs? Absolutely not. Not one of the effects mentioned would replace staples in my walk around such as Ambitious Card, Card to wallet, Coins Across or Sponge Balls for that matter. With that being said I do often go out with friends to bars and I'm always asked to do something and I believe some of these may be woworth doing for a good laugh and still maintain the wow factor, or at least I'm hoping. Some of the effects mentioned seem like they could be good except for the ones that are implying cocaine use. Even if its not what it is I feel it would make many people uncomfortable and god forbid a police officer is near it's trouble waiting to happen.

All in all it my be worth a look if nothing else.

Just my 2cents

-Bobby
The Blackpool prediction is brilliant. I use it often. The UK has taught me that you need tricks like this in your repertoire, so this will be worth it's weight in gold.
I wanna see Craig and David review this on the WPR.
Hello All,
Thank you for those who have said positive things about this product! I hope you dig it!

For those of you who did not have anything positive to say.. let me just say this, AGAIN..

THIS IS NOT FOR EVERYONE. If you do not want it, ok, don't get it. Believe it or not, it's as simple as that.

There is A LOT of performers out there that will love this stuff!

I, along with ALL the other pros who helped make this possible, stand behind this product all the way!

A project like this does NOT affect me, or them, as professional performers or as people.

Again thank you all for the support and interest!

E.
www.ericrossmagic.com
In magic, it's important to end a trick clean. However, those that buy this, are secretly hoping they end DIRTY.

Mindblowingly,
Charles
[quote]On Nov 14, 2014, Knobz1 wrote:
I wanna see Craig and David review this on the WPR. [/quote]
Yes, that would be amazing.
Would they review it, though? I mean, is their audience the type that performs dirty tricks?

Mindblowingly,
Charles

Yes, that would be amazing. [/quote]
[quote]On Nov 14, 2014, genius wrote:
Would they review it, though? I mean, is their audience the type that performs dirty tricks?

Mindblowingly,
Charles

Yes, that would be amazing. [/quote] [/quote]

Naww, they most likely wouldn't review it. Only reason I say that is to at least see a demonstration of one of the effects or get some more insight on them. We all have a friend or two that would get a kick out of these effects. So while they most likely would never perform this for an audience I could see them performing this at a friends house or at the bar and such.
I go both ways! Ohhhhhhhhhhhh!!!
What does going "both ways" have to do with this thread?

Mindblowingly,
Charles

[quote]On Nov 14, 2014, John C wrote:
I go both ways! Ohhhhhhhhhhhh!!! [/quote]
[quote]On Nov 14, 2014, genius wrote:

Mindblowingly,
Charles

Yes, that would be amazing. [/quote] [/quote]
No, they wouldn't, though World Magic Shop did put it in one of their emails today. That being said, it would be funny because it would make them both very uncomfortable, and if by some miracle, Craig got into a rant about the presentational qualities of card to tampon (or any of these), I would die of laughter.
In response to Vlad, this material totally isn't for everyone, and likely isn't for you, but that is a good thing. Magic is a variety art, we need variety. I also don't think, outside of very select situations, you'd do this for a paying audience. Bar magic was mentioned, and I bet a lot of these would be great MC gags, but for me the place I see a lot of this working would be in a nightclub or burlesque type performance. Burlesque is defined as, “a literary, dramatic or musical work intended to cause laughter by caricaturing the manner or spirit of serious works, or by ludicrous treatment of their subjects.” This is the burlesque of magic, its power comes from the fact that you wouldn't present it as being serious. It is a cartoon come to life. I would say this is bawdy magic that should be presented as a joke among adults. I think that for audiences, especially in the United States, who see magicians as either birthday party clowns or people that seem to be taking themselves way too seriously on TV, could appreciate this material, if presented in the proper context. I believe it is important, from time to time, not to take yourself too seriously.

That all being said however, ku7uk3, makes a really good point. The descriptions of the effects help a lot, but the lack of a video makes me wonder.
WHAT THE? HOW CAN YOU ADVERTISE A PRODUCT WITHOUT SHOWING DEMOS OF THE TRICKS? THIS IS SO SO SO SO STUPID.

'because they are too gross to show' - - WHAT A COP OUT! THE WORST EXCUSE I'VE EVER HEARD.
ANYONE REMEMBER HUG? STOP INSULTING US.
Hey, magicmarkworldwide2, please stop shouting.
Vlad wrote:
[quote]This all seems like the horrible oily back lot carny or seedy third rate punter with cheap whiskey on his breath and hasn't bathed for a month showing up and robbing an audience of a rare, amazing experience of magic and degrading it to a glorified set of magic shop gags. [/quote]

So you've seen my act? :)

Clearly not for everyone, but as noted above, there are places where this type of thing could play well.
A lot depends on how much money one has to blow. It might be interesting if one has unlimited funds.

A lot of this type stuff can be created by anyone from already existing tricks if one is so inclined. The Goshman sponge thing has been available for some time.

It seems some magicians have limited audiences. They perform for the same people all the time and are always looking for something new. For me, the poster child of this type thing is the revelation of a predicted card in a blister on one's finger. Egads! (Yes, I know, 50 million people will post saying how wonderful this is.)

Some people are always creating new effects so they they can sell them and make more money.

I also think that a lot of magicians have a condescending view of laymen. Like Vlad says, above, how many laymen have experienced good, professional-quality close-up magic? Is it really necessary to play to the lowest denomination of humanity, even in a bar?

Good luck to selling this, but I too would rather save my money for that wonderful Al Leech book, for instance (same price).
Finally! The definitive handling of the Goshman dong. And with a racial twist, too.

This could be a gas to watch, even (maybe especially) if you have no intention of using any of the material. I mean, how many folks bought Boris Pocus for the tricks? Hope there's a bonus section with outtakes of the magicians getting slapped or having drinks poured over their heads.
NOW SHIPPING!

Check your favorite magic shop and/or dealer.

;)

E.
www.ericrossmagic.com
We are in the entertainment business. Movies have ratings from G-NR, to even X-XXX. Stand up comics range from family friendly to adults only. How is magic any different? Why is it so bad to have some that chose to lean towards the PG-13/NR/X/XXX side?

There is DEFINITELY a market for this type of material.
Is this in any way associated with Card Against Humanity, or does the box art just look similar?
Definitely a market for adult material, just wish the price was a little less being it's a pdf and not hardcover book (although if you get use out of at least a couple effects I'm sure it's worth it). Any other reviews? With the holidays upon us money is tight unless I know for sure I'll be using something.
It's a DVD, not a pdf
[quote]On Nov 20, 2014, Robmonster wrote:
It's a DVD, not a pdf [/quote]

Shoot, my bad! Got it confused with something else I looked at. DVD better, but still would like to get some more reviews. I definitely do adult humor for my audiences so count me as interested.
I've only just seen this - not my thing, but each to their own, etc. However:

"3. Sponge Dong - Goshman - A shocking end to your favorite sponge ball routine! Comes BLACK!"

It's one thing to do something a bit different, but if you're is making racial jokes about ***es in 2014... oh dear.
[quote]On Nov 21, 2014, robd wrote:
It's one thing to do something a bit different, but if you're is making racial jokes about ***es in 2014... oh dear. [/quote]

This one is funny, though :)
[quote]On Nov 20, 2014, The expert wrote:
[quote]On Nov 20, 2014, Low Key wrote:
Is this in any way associated with Card Against Humanity, or does the box art just look similar? [/quote]

COURSE ITS NOT ASSOCIATED, JUST STOLEN. PIRACY IS BAD IN MAGIC, UNLESS IT IS LIKE THIS OR MUSIC! AT INTERNATIONAL SOMEONE USED PINK FLOYD! I DOUBT THEY GOT PERMISSION.

DVD PIRACY = BAD, STEALING MUSIC FOR YOUR ACT = FINE [/quote]

From their website.
Cards Against Humanity is distributed under a Creative Commons BY-NC-SA 2.0 license. That means you can use and remix the game for free, but you can't sell it without our permission. “Cards Against Humanity” and the CAH logos are trademarks of Cards Against Humanity LLC

-Bobby
LOL! I've stole nothing from "Cards Against Humanity" except simplicity.

Just becuase I use white text on a black background, does NOT make it a "Cards Against Humanity" Rip off. LOL! Sorry, they do NOT own this idea.

By the way, the name "Cards Against Humanity" is a derivative from the common legal term "Crimes Against Humanity" and is in no way related.

Same with TAH. It's just a derivative from and old term, in junction with certain "things" against humanity.

Hope you all enjoy!

Now let's stay focused!

E.
www.ericrossmagic.com
Good question, this.

Is the Goshman Ding-dong MORE offensive if it's black? Or is it funnier? I really don't know. I mean, obviously it plays to the stereotype that black guys are, shall we say, well-blessed. Does that soften a racial gag (because it's sort of complimentary) or does it make no difference? Perhaps it's only OK to perform if you are yourself black?

From my picture you can tell that I'm not really qualified to judge its offence. Perhaps some black members (ahem...) would offer an opinion?

For the record, I don't think I'd risk it myself - even if we were not living in hyper-sensitive times.
The Goshman thing is red, corresponding to no one's color as far as I know. What it depicts is its value. Adding a racial commentary, I think, does not add anything to the effect and might even be a distraction. But to each his own.
I bet there aren't a lot of Amazing Jonathan fans (wish I'd have seen him one last time) who posted about how awful this material reads to be huh? Perhaps the early days of Penn and Teller gave them visions of the Prestigitation apocalypse as well? Probably not big on Harry Anderson or the geek magic thing either "Well I never...Gertrude that man just ate a guinea pig as punishment for screwing up his act then snubbed his nose at the producers when he was told to say he really didn't do it." The gall of those who go against the grain eh?

Don't want no Carlin cussing in their comedy or Drug references around their tea!

Comedy and magic are very personal things youngsters and even though I can Waltz in a Tux and be at home in a boardroom I still often like my magic quick, my comedy raw like a good Prime Rib, and my Jameson's served up neat in a dive bar with real men and loose women. Oh by the way in joints like this I've seen some of the most mind blowing finger flinging (insert explitive) magic you are ever likely to see. But don't worry the people who would be offended wouldn't be allowed entrance in the first place.

I prefer Mae West and WC Fields over Bozo and Poly over Polyanna.

Got news for some of you folks. It's not blue material that harms the art. It's the poorly practiced Prima Donnas peddling pre-chewed perfectly pasteurized pseudo magic - about as edgy and relevant as... well...the tired old crap they imitate. Renounce that sterile old offal if you really love m mu muh Magic.

You go Ross. Funny is as funny does.
I'll buy it although I'm far too elevated to ever soil myself by performing it.
Oh who am I kidding... I'll perform the ever lovin' $#!¥ outta the £₩€£!%@ £¥@£#*$. Me pirate mates'll love the $#!+ out of it I'm sure. Hopefully the sacred art will recover from the overt sacrilege I impose on it.
I would support Vlad's point from another stand point.

We all complain that magic is often not considered as an art. Many of us are trying to keep it up or elevate it to the art that it actually is. This type of effects is not doing it and damages the work of many of us.

This being said, I would separate the tricks referring to smoking pot as, with a good script, it could be a way to revive cigarette effects that have become politically more incorrect in the US than the ones about smoking pot. It seems absurd to me as a European, but... David Stone had a routine with a cigarette and a lighter which could never be in the hands together preventing the performer to be able to smoke. Ron Jaxon also published a sort of paddle routine with a cigarette which always brings the filter of the cigarette at the wrong end... Thus a joint may not be as offensive as cigarette trick. This being said 99% of the performers will never take the trouble to write a proper script, learn it, rehearse it with acting and body language inference. These performers will rely only on the shoking aspect of the effect itself and, in so doing, bring magic down as an art form: not every one of us is a Tom Mullica to get away with this type of effects

The bill to condom package has some potential for a subtle sexy routine (and sex references offer an emotional potential for real magic...), but it also offers more easily a slope towards filthy magic... and how many magicians are really subtle and amongst them, which one will go in that direction or put in the work for sexy to remain socially acceptable, entertaing AND truly magical?
Now as far as the card in tampon is concerned, it's not sexy, it's just gore and will only reflect badly on the performer. Why not paint the tampon with some bloody color since you're at it? Performers of this type of effect will hide behind the fact that some spectators will laugh... like our Japanese friends laugh to show their embarrassment... but over the time, there is nothing good to be expected from performing this type of effects and the image of magic has everything to lose in being associated with it.

All in all, I don't see more than one or two performers in the world who can convey anything good with most of the effects in this DVD + gimmicks.

The only positive thing that I could find in this, is that some performers were using Al Goshman's Ding Dong effect in such an embarrassing way that the DVD probably offers a way to use the prop from a shameful performance into a poor taste one ... still not elevating magic into an art form but bringing magic down to serving their own lack of self respect.
[quote]On Nov 21, 2014, ross welford wrote:
Good question, this.

Is the Goshman Ding-dong MORE offensive if it's black? Or is it funnier? I really don't know. I mean, obviously it plays to the stereotype that black guys are, shall we say, well-blessed. Does that soften a racial gag (because it's sort of complimentary) or does it make no difference? Perhaps it's only OK to perform if you are yourself black?

From my picture you can tell that I'm not really qualified to judge its offence. Perhaps some black members (ahem...) would offer an opinion?

For the record, I don't think I'd risk it myself - even if we were not living in hyper-sensitive times. [/quote]

Its not complimentary to make jokes pandering to a stereotype (hey you guys dance really well too! What? I'm being complimentary!)
They dance so well because they have natural rhythm.
[quote]On Nov 21, 2014, Eric Ross wrote:
LOL! I've stole nothing from "Cards Against Humanity" except simplicity.

Just becuase I use white text on a black background, does NOT make it a "Cards Against Humanity" Rip off. LOL! Sorry, they do NOT own this idea. [/quote]

Cheers, Ross :)

I wasn't trying to accuse you of anything, it was an genuine question.

You might want to talk to whoever does your ad copy though, this is an extract from the mass PM Steve Brooks sent me (and presumably the rest of the Café)

[quote][b]The #1 selling card game on Amazon.com, Cards Against Humanity--is now a filthy, offensive and powerful MAGIC EFFECT collection!!

Announcing Tricks Against Humanity by Eric Ross[/b][/quote]

It confused me, and while I'm easily confused I doubt I was the only person who took this to mean the two were related
Ahh.. I see.. Nope, not my ad.. ;)

But very clever marketing idea..

Thanks!

E.
www.ericrossmagic.com
Mister Vlad_77 and Mister Lawrence O,
I will report your posts !
How dare you to slander and to asperse this wonderful product?
A product that can (and certainly will) elevate our Art to unknown heights.

And I, who believed you were both respectable people.
Richard Ross and Tommy Wonder were good friends of me. I am sure they too, would have been very angry at both of you.

Mmm, as an afterthought: maybe not. Maybe they would have been perplexed and dazed that your reactions are in the minority here.
And that they are in the minority, my friends, is the most alarming fact for the Art of magic.
The art of magic has become a (sad and tasteless) joke.
Any art does well occasionally not to take itself too seriously.
Wellsaid MaxfieldsMagic.. Well Said indeed..

E.
www.ericrossmagic.com
You're plainly trading on the name, concept, reputation and visual design of Cards Against Humanity to sell your product.

Since Cards Against Humanity is protected by trademark, and trademarks must be vigorously defended lest they be lost, you should expect some legal action from the trademark holder.
I could see how the material would be offensive to most, but I will be working a burlesque show which caters to the very type that would love it!
[quote]On Nov 30, 2014, Tim Cavendish wrote:
You're plainly trading on the name, concept, reputation and visual design of Cards Against Humanity to sell your product.

Since Cards Against Humanity is protected by trademark, and trademarks must be vigorously defended lest they be lost, you should expect some legal action from the trademark holder. [/quote]

I doubt it. Both are based on the original, non-trademarked term "Crimes Against Humanity."
[quote]On Nov 21, 2014, Ray Haining wrote:
The Goshman thing is red, corresponding to no one's color as far as I know. [/quote]

It was originally a trick about a dog.
[quote]On Nov 30, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
[quote]On Nov 30, 2014, Tim Cavendish wrote:

Since Cards Against Humanity is protected by trademark, and trademarks must be vigorously defended lest they be lost, you should expect some legal action from the trademark holder. [/quote]

I doubt it. Both are based on the original, non-trademarked term "Crimes Against Humanity." [/quote]

Except Tricks Against Humanity's visual design is directly based on the registered trademarked logo of Cards Against Humanity:

[img]http://31.media.tumblr.com/86ea9605d2abbba87311cf10a5661bd0/tumblr_inline_nba2n8Uybt1sf63m6.jpg[/img]
[img]http://images.penguinmagic.com/images/soc_products/medium/53541-full.png[/img]

"Cards Against Humanity" and the CAH logos are trademarks of Cards Against Humanity LLC.

http://www.trademarkia.com/cards-against-humanity-a-party-game-for-horrible-people-86089633.html

Also, as noted, the PM advert for Tricks Against Humanity sent by Steve Brooks to the Café's 59,743 registered members invoked Cards Against Humanity and asserted a direct relationship between them, which plainly demonstrates (and likely further exacerbates) confusion in the marketplace, the prevention of which is the raison d'etre of trademarks.

[quote][b]The #1 selling card game on Amazon.com, Cards Against Humanity--is now a filthy, offensive and powerful MAGIC EFFECT collection!!

Announcing Tricks Against Humanity by Eric Ross[/b][/quote]
There would be a legal question if the products were likely to be confused with one another. That's highly unlikely.
There would be a legal question if the products were likely to be confused with one another. That's highly unlikely.
Card games and magic DVDs trade in the same category of Toys.

Cards Against Humanity owns the registered mark in that category, and Tricks Against Humanity's name and logo are derivative on their face.

That's enough to argue theoretical confusion in the marketplace. Brook's advert demonstrates it, asserting a direct connection between the products.
Thanks Tim.

Thank you for all your hard work.

dearly noted. Let's move on.

E.
[quote]On Nov 30, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
There would be a legal question if the products were likely to be confused with one another. That's highly unlikely. [/quote]

Great. I am now launching a range of card tricks using the Burger King logo, font and character. As it's not likely to be confused for a burger, I'm all good, right?
I would say that this bold body of work would not suit my persona. Eric did inform the buyers in the beginning of the video.

But I know a lot of Close Up Magicians here in my country (specially the ones who frequent bars and the like) will benefit from this.

We could still use the ideas to suit our own though.

Thanks Eric! :)
Hey! Thank YOU rmoraleta!!
[quote]On Nov 14, 2014, Vlad_77 wrote:
You know, I am in no way a prude, but, magic has suffered from so many BAD performers that now there is a product specifically designed to be tacky, offensive, and frankly more of a gag reel than magic. [/quote]

The only thing I find offensive here is this statement. You all but say that only BAD performers would use this material.
I would certainly use a lot of this material. I perform in a lot of night clubs and burlesque shows where these types of
tricks would go over screamingly well. And yes those are paying gigs and no I am not a BAD performer. In fact I would
gladly 'magic battle' you any day!

Bring it on!
I will say that I would never have a use for any of this material, BUT I know there are performers in venues where this stuff would fit well. If you do not like the description/connotations of this product, you likely do not hang around those types of places. I know I most certainly do not.

Having said that, Eric is a great guy and I had the opportunity at the Motor City Magic Convention to hang with him and see him perform some of these items up close. Trust me when I say, a video trailer would not be something I would put out for this - regardless of whether or not a very specialized market exists for this product (it does, but it is quite small).

The products are good quality - just saying.

While this product does not suit my own taste or performance style, I will be the first to admit that some of the things made me laugh and for certain performers, I could see how some might use it to great effect. Personally, I believe that the thought of products like this "destroying the art of magic" is like a bad artist blaming the brushes. I believe it is ruined by performers with horrible judgment, using the wrong effects in the wrong places and/or at the wrong time. That is, in addition to the usual issues of a lack of practice, techniques, scripting, etc.

All of that said, like with any product in our little universe, if you like this kind of stuff and have a place to use it, buy it (and for goodness sake, use good judgement). If not, buy something else.
Magic for Drunk soldiers on a Deployed location with only 3 Alcoholic drinks allowed. Will these effects play to my people?
Hello, I have a magic shop in Madrid (Spain).
I've never seen in a moral obligation to remove a product from sale.
Tricks Against Humanity is, by far, the worst product that has entered my shop for years.
Sounds like a scam to charge $ 50 for this. But it would seem to me a scam to charge $ 10.
Honestly, it seems a shame that it is distributed. It seems a shame that Murphys has agreed to distribute this product. And a shame to sell this material, so very bad, the end customer.
Sorry Eric, but I'm honest. This is not magic. This is a scam.
And sorry for my poor english...
It seems to be a great way to get a good reputation as someone who performs a lot of c*ck-magic...
[quote]On Dec 19, 2014, AngelTorres wrote:
Hello, I have a magic shop in Madrid (Spain).
I've never seen in a moral obligation to remove a product from sale.
Tricks Against Humanity is, by far, the worst product that has entered my shop for years.
Sounds like a scam to charge $ 50 for this. But it would seem to me a scam to charge $ 10.
Honestly, it seems a shame that it is distributed. It seems a shame that Murphys has agreed to distribute this product. And a shame to sell this material, so very bad, the end customer.
Sorry Eric, but I'm honest. This is not magic. This is a scam. [/quote]

My local magic shop told me the same thing. They called Murphy's and told them to be ashamed. I really wanted this, I love this type of stuff in the right conditions. They told me this is the worst thing they have ever seen in 25 years, and they love this type of thing.
OK guys, your making this a lot like Troll 2.... And the movie about how bad it was. Its sooo bad that people love it and want to make it a cult classic. Are the effects just in bad taste or are they just not magical at all?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2360157/?ref_=fn_al_tt_6
I am rather surprised by some of the comments people are making. One needs to consider your style and the venue/people that you are performing for. I used to perform often at stags, stagettes, etc. I performed this type of material and the reactions were terrific! The women at the bachelorette parties loved this so much, that I got quite a number of bookings of this nature.

It's all about the right venue, the right performer, the right audience and the right material.

Thanks Eric and I wish you well with this project.
I sometimes perform this type of stuff, but the problem is I was told, here is one of the effects (and all of the other effects are in the same fashion).

http://www.downvids.net/david-coppafeel-ninja-moves-299728.html

Another is that thing where you point your hand in the sky and turn it as if you were turning a lever. Your middle finger goes up.
Guys.. This is what it is.. If dirty magic is not your thing, then its not..

I can sit here and bash a ton of S*** I've never, nor would ever use, but I do not. Because I have enough respect for the artist and perfromers who do like it. plus I have better s*** to do with my time.

We get it. All you out there bashing this "are above this" kind of material. ok, move on.

And Sashac, this is the WORST example you could have used. LOL! this was a last minute gag we included to go along with the theme.

there is indeed a lot of "magic" and sleight of hand taught..

If you have NOT purchased this item, and have some questions or concers I will answer them, just shoot away.

If you have NOT purchased this item, and just want to bash it, or me, just move on with your life.

The reason we did this project was to have something to offer to the professionals who do like this material. Now they have an option. It was NOT to offend ANYONE.

Thank you.

E. Ross
www.ericrossmagic.com
The only thing that upsets me about this product is that it wasn't released before my last deployment to Iraq. This would have been perfect for my guys over there. Is this something I would have done on AGT, or at the Magic Castle, or any of my corporate gigs..........nope! But it is perfect for poker night, guys night, or even finishing up a bar set. Many times after a corporate gig I will be having a drink in the hotel bar afterwards and end up hanging out with a lot of people from the show audience, in particular, the bar crowd from the shows audience. I think some of these effects could play real well in those scenarios.
That's hy I ask cause I'm in Qatar for 6 months and this might play well for these guys
Seeing as most people I know have sent, told, or tried to get me to watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yny0VDxgNwQ ("Magician Tries To Sell Weed To Cops!!" For those that don't want to watch the video a magician offers to sell weed to an officer, the officer approaches and the magician vanishes the weed and gets a pat down and sent on his way. Magician walks over to camera guy and produces the baggie.) cause I'm a magician and this video is just hilarious I think there is a definite setting for the effect to be well received as good magic.

To be clear I am not a fan of the video as I am very anti-drug-culture but the level of the amusement in the people trying to get me to watch it is easily discernible.
A little about TAH.. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMEZGYTDpyc
This stuff really would have to fit your style to do.
@ Sashac

It's not just yestereday that psychology has uncovered that in each of us there are life impulses and death impulses. Under the death impulses are classified the impulse of domination and includes the craving for crude sexuality without love, raping, killing etc.
Now because this impulse is in each of us, we, slowly, developped the notion of being "civilized": this means focusing on life impulses rather than death impulses.
You underline the success of your performance of the negative type. No one will disagree with you on this and of the rebookings. If I'm pushing your statement to the extreme, I would find a justification in the fact that some fundamentalists are cutting the throats of people or burn them alive in a cage because terror is fascinating and that it, obviously, generates rebookings.
So you may do whatever you want like Eric Ross can write whatever he wants ("I'm Charlie") but you will find a hard time to convince lots of people that it's "good magic"... Actually I would dare to claim that what remains from such an approach is just the social transgression from being civilized and nothing about the "magic" that it was disguised into.

Now please just avoid using the word "style" for performer using this "type" of deceptions and to qualifiy as "light" something that is just crude and "heavy"
Under his Phrygian cap King Midas had donkey's ears... until he tried to make the donkey's ears a fashion at his court

@ w_s_anderson and paisa23
You are, as soldiers, the representants of a better and more civilized world which is under attack by less "civilized" social groups. You are representing our values and you are defending them. I wish to salute you here and express gratitude. We know that because you are at the border of violence and death, the strain is great on the brave representants of our civilized and democratic world. What our soldiers endure is unarguably very demanding physically and hard psychologically but they still protect our values and what such values have to offer as best to the rest of the world.

So when our soldiers are resting, it is understandbale that they need something "light" to compensate for their "heavy" tasks.

But "light" means GOOD magic that takes them above and away from harshness, not cheap heavy magic that balances the heavy stuff they have to live along on a daily basis. We all know that the physical danger and proximity to atrocities generates a natural need for thinking of something else. If a performance of magic is really good, its lightness will distract them more than any attempt to balance their daily "heavy" situations with "heavy" magical stuff that doesn't fit the values they defend when they are allowed to put their guns down.

So yes we can entertain our soldiers with hookers, gambling, alcohol and drugs... or we can offer them some good psychological escapes to their psychological harshness in the lighter things that they are there to defend and that they dream to have the world sharing, the one they wish to have at home in peace.

Our soldiers can be entertained with GOOD magic that will makes them feel good about themselves, temporarily and metaphorically relieved from the constraints of a harsh "reality", or they can be brought down to our/their enemy level with an entertainment that implies "why not me as well" being dominating, violent, materialistic, insensitive, sexist and low....

Magic is the art of escaping from the duress of physical constraints, not the art to indulge in what's lowest in each of us. IMHO
Yeow! I've stated that this type of magic does not appeal to me, that you can take tricks that are already out there and substitute condom packs for coins, joints for cigarettes, etc., and that this effort is really just another way to squeeze more money out of an already saturated market.

That said, I think that comparing this "dirty" approach to magic to the acts committed by terrorists is going a bit too far. The attraction to this type of magic is more akin to the titillation children feel when doing something "naughty." In other words, it is more related to immaturity than any evil intentions on the part of those who like this sort of thing.
Here are a few reviews.. ;)

http://www.mylovelyassistant.com/products/view/21992

E.
www.ericrossmagic.com
This looks like a bit of fun and I could definitely see some uses for this sort of material (in the right environment).
Just not sure I want to shell out $50 + Shipping to Australia with the current exchange rate the total would go close to $100 (in my money).
If only it was a little cheaper... (maybe a special offer for Aussie customers he suggests in hope but also with a bit of tongue in cheek).
I am the audience for this - I was looking for magic to use at a bachelorette party that wants a very adult show - this is the absolute worst product I have ever bought -- anyone know any good "dirty magic" that I can actually perform? If you wanted this product but didn't want to spend $50, I'll sell it to you cheap - let me know ;) Open to adult magic suggestions, if you have any however
ILC deck for starters.
[quote]On Nov 11, 2016, MazingMandy wrote:
ILC deck for starters. [/quote]
One day I'll do a DVD project on this kind of thing.
It'll be 10 minutes of me demonstrating a "blue" trick then 2 hours pleading that if you're not 100% sure you're audience will respond positively to the material then please please please don't do it.
I need this dvd ha ha ! There is a time and place for tricks like these, for me its is most weekends in my town !