(Close Window)
Topic: Frequent orbiter miles?
A few days ago Donna and I got a little punchy during a car trip, and this this what resulted…

The distance from the Earth to the Sun is approx. 93 million miles. That means the approx. circumference of the earth’s orbit around the sun is 584 million miles—the distance we travel thru space each year. So, somebody who’s 60 years old has covered 35 billion miles.

Now here’s the fun part. Pluto, at its closest, is about 2.66 billion miles from Earth. Assuming we could launch a spaceship, traveling at Earth’s speed, so it hits Pluto at its closest (and I know it doesn’t work quite so simply), a 60-year-old person has covered the distance to Pluto about 13 times, or enough for six round trips and then some.

Point being, some of us have covered enough miles to get to Pluto and back at least a few times.

Too bad we can’t get frequent flyer miles for that.

I’m sure some of you science guys can adjust those numbers, but it’s still a whole lotta miles. :)
Assuming there is a payout, if you make it to age 61, or any age past that, you have been allowed to cash-in those miles. ;)
[quote]On Nov 23, 2014, Michael Baker wrote:
Assuming there is a payout, if you make it to age 61, or any age past that, you have been allowed to cash-in those miles. ;) [/quote]

We all cash-in those miles sooner or later Mr. Baker... ;)