(Close Window)
Topic: What is your latest opener for strolling guys?
Hi guys,
Just wondering what everybody is doing these days for your opener during walkaround gigs? Im currently using DoubleBack and Stand Up Monte. Just wondered what you are all prefering to use / get the best reactions from please?
Thanks,
Dean
Warning by Koysta Kimlat
Fire Wallet/Extortion by Patrick Kun
Fire Wallet/Extreme Burn by Richard Sanders

These are the openers for each of my three sets for my next couple gigs. :)

Jonathan
Nice Jonathan, very visual with flames and flashing!
I transform a regular size key into a 10 inch key that's put in their hands.
"Want to see my key to success? I have a motto... Think Big"

It's very visual and jump starts the set in seconds.
I use the Nudist Deck...it is very visual and quick...this grabs their attention and always elicits a great response
Mini Chop Cup or Sponge Bunnies.
Sponge ball from no where, then I lead in to a sponge routine. The idea is from Daryl's Essential's DVD
Cheers guys, always considered doing sponge balls as an opener.
Defiantly sponge balls.
I do sponge balls but not as an opener. When I first approach a group to perform, I need to size them up first and see how they interact with me. I do not want to impose on them by asking them to hold anything or be that physically interactive with them. When I do the nudist deck I do not need their help so they can just enjoy the magic and my interaction with them without having to do anything..just my opinion.
For tables extreme burn and for walk around Crazy Mans Handcuffs.
"Did anyone lose their white knife?" lol... just kidding.
Good idea I am totally going to use that.
I always start my opener with a ring routine.
I try to avoid opening with card effects if at all possible. I usually do stuff with a finger ring and lead into ninja plus with it. Or do a "something with nothing" sort of presentation and produce a coin(s) and go into it from there. If possible I avoid opening with "I am a magician, can you please pick a card?"
Flash coins relit by eric jones is a very strong one that I love to use!
[quote]On Dec 9, 2014, obrienmagic wrote:
If possible I avoid opening with "I am a magician, can you please pick a card?" [/quote]

I sometimes open with a transposition in the spectators hands. I ask them what their lucky number is, then use that number card for the transpo. It's not "pick a card," it's easy to follow, and it immediately engages cuz I'm asking them for something "personal" (I add quotes around personal because 9 times out of 10 they say their lucky number is seven.)
If you want a card trick that is not "pick a card" you cant beat the card barf! :sick:
My current openers
-Bag4Life > One Coin Flurry (with a jumbo production)
-Crazy Mans Handcuffs
-Sponge Bunnies (only if its a group of girls and I'm short on time)

As more people become aware of you you can then pretty much open with anything. I start the night with those openers but soon just start opening with card tricks and jazzing my set
I tell the audience we are going to start with something that's easy to follow. A Pen. I tell them all they have to do is keep their eyes on the tip, as the pen goes round and round eventually it becomes.......POINTLESS...... Hence- Pointless by Gregory Wilson...I have found to be a very fun and entertaining opener.

RNK
Crazy Man Handcuff always works great for me as opener... and after that I follow with simplex monte before I go to my card routine...
For many years I used the approach to approaching a group found in Simon Lovell's Simon Says book. The first magic routine I usually did was a personalization of Simon Lovell's "Fingered #3" routine. The main difference between his routine and mine is that I do not use the Braue reversal. Instead, I force the "wrong" card on myself using a slip force. If you are familiar with Simon's routine, I think that probably made sense. If not, feel free to PM me and I'll try to be clearer.

Recently, however, I've been using a non-card opener that I've found to work well, at least for me. It is Karl Hein's Rainmaker. Rainmaker is similar to the different versions of Pat Page's "Easy Money" routine except it is not a routine where $1 bills become $100 bills. Instead, five $1 bill becomes a whole bunch of $1 bills. It is more of a production than a transposition.

Here's my patter for the routine. Some of it comes from a ring and string routine of Michael Close's. Let's say I'm working the holiday party for a bookstore. I approach a group and introduce myself. Let's say I use the approach to approaching a group found in Jamie D. Grant's "The Approach." Then, after the group knows who I am, I find out one spectator's name. Let say her name is Valerie. I tell Valerie I'm going to give her a little memory test. I ask her if she has a good memory. No matter what her answer, I say, "Great! You're going to be perfect for this!" I bring out the Rainmaker bills and show the group that I have five $1 bills. I say to Valerie, "So Valerie, what is your middle name?" She answers. I say, "That's correct." A lot of times the spectators will laugh at that. I then say, "What is the best bookstore in Oregon?" She likely will say the name of the bookstore for whom she works. I say, "Correct again." I then say, "And how many bills did I have here?" She says "Five." I pause for just a moment, and then say, "I think you meant to say 25," as I show that I now have a whole bunch of bills. The spectators always react at that point. When the reactions start to subside, I say, "Well, two out of three isn't bad." As I'm saying that, I'm resetting the trick and putting the bills away.

Obviously, I change the second question to fit the group I'm working for. If I'm working for a car dealership, I'd ask, "Who's the best car dealer in town?" If I'm performing at a restaurant in Anytown, I might ask, "Where is the best place to eat on a Friday night in Anytown?"

One of the reasons why I like this as an opener is because I'm able to interact just a bit with a spectator, but the magic still happens very quickly. When all those bills seem to appear out of nowhere, it seems to grab the spectators' attention, and I think it sets them up to want to watch more of my magic. At least, I hope it does.

Jay
Just to clarify a couple of things in my last post. I believe I got the idea about giving the spectator a memory test from David Williamson's presentation for Dr. Daley's Last Trick. As I mentioned, asking the spectator what their middle name is came from Michael Close. I think asking the spectator what is the best bookstore or whatever in the area was inspired by something in a Barrie Richardson routine (the "Lazy Mentalist," maybe?).

Just wanted to make sure I credited everyone. If I missed somebody, I'm sorry!

Jay
One more thing -- Rainmaker is available as a DVD and/or download from Penguin. I've read a few things on the Café about the effect and spectators' backtracking to the method. Since I use this as an opener and then go onto other magic, I think that kind of "short circuits" their backtracking. At least, from the comments I have heard, it seems to.

Jay
Bill Breaker by Bizzaro ..
Quick, and they know immediately
who you are. ...
Hmmm. I could see Bill Breaker working with the presentation I use with Rainmaker. You could ask the spectator what bill you were holding, they would say a one, you say "I think you meant to say a five [or whatever]." After they react, you could say, "I'm just joking. You were right the first time" as you change the bill back.

Jay
[quote]On Dec 14, 2014, joseph wrote:
Bill Breaker by Bizzaro ..
Quick, and they know immediately
who you are. ... [/quote]

Hi Joseph,

I read one post on here that Bill Breaker has an angle issue. I'm able to do Rainmaker in strolling situations because I'm able to hide the gaff with my body from those people who might be behind me. Can you do the same with Bill Breaker?

Thanks,
Jay
Yes...
95% of the time, Chop Cup exactly how Don Alan did it.
Actually.
I'm now producing a 20 inch tall Champagne bottle - best for strolling at parties not in a restaurant setting.
[quote]On Dec 15, 2014, joseph wrote:
Yes... [/quote]

Thanks for the information! If I get Bill Breaker, make it up, and try it at a gig, I'll be happy to report back about what happened.

Jay
[quote]On Dec 15, 2014, Dorian Rhodell wrote:
95% of the time, Chop Cup exactly how Don Alan did it. [/quote]

I asked on another thread about what Chop Cup routine you use. Now I guess I know. :-) I think I remember seeing Don Alan on video doing the Chop Cup seated. I don't have my Don Alan book with me to check. :-( Do you perform the routine seated? Do you do it standing, loading out of your pockets? I hope I'm not being a pest by asking so many questions. I'm just really curious about your approach to the routine.

Thanks!

Jay
I open with gone deck followed usually by a triumph routine. Gets their attention instantly! :)
This may seem bold, but I normally open with "conversation." Ask how everyone is doing, chit chat with the kiddos if there are any, etc. Kids are normally on a device at first, so I take an interest in whatever they're playing or looking at. I want to be their friend. Then I move into the magic. 99% of the time, that's how I'll open.

It's not about the steak. It's about the sizzle! It's NOT about the magic. It's about YOU!
Then, after the introductions, I think Christopher opens with the old standard "flash paper on spectator's eyeball."
[quote]On Dec 7, 2014, deanbarlow wrote:
Hi guys,
Just wondering what everybody is doing these days for your opener during walkaround gigs? Im currently using DoubleBack and Stand Up Monte. Just wondered what you are all prefering to use / get the best reactions from please?
Thanks,
Dean [/quote]

When someone starts the heavily overused "what do you guys do" thread, it's always polite to start by letting us know what YOU do.

Thank you, Dean, for your refreshing post, free from begging and queries demanding the results from other people's hard work.

I often use the profesosr's nightmare because it can immediately involve several spectators.
Sometimes I start with cards, but I'd prefer not to unless the perfect opportunity presents itself.

The PN has so many opportunities for interaction built-in.
As such, it invites a lot of interaction from the spectators, allowing the audience to fill the gaps, which would otherwise be filled with boring "patter".
[quote]On Dec 21, 2014, Christopher Lyle wrote:
This may seem bold, but I normally open with "conversation." Ask how everyone is doing, chit chat with the kiddos if there are any, etc. Kids are normally on a device at first, so I take an interest in whatever they're playing or looking at. I want to be their friend. Then I move into the magic. 99% of the time, that's how I'll open.

It's not about the steak. It's about the sizzle! It's NOT about the magic. It's about YOU! [/quote]

I also often begin with conversing with people. At the same time, I do find myself in situations where it just seems more appropriate to get into the magic quickly.

If there are a lot of people at an event, and I'm being paid to get to as many of them as I can, I usually begin by saying, "I'm sorry to interrupt you folks, but they're paying me to interrupt everyone." And, then, I'm into the magic. If I'm going to open with cards, I'll often say, "You get one free quick card trick." I pause for a moment as I pull the deck (not in a box) out of my pocket. I pay attention to their responses. If no one responds negatively, I just go right into the magic. My feeling is that if they do not respond negatively that they are tacitly giving me permission to perform. If they do respond negatively (happens very rarely), I talk with them to see what's going on. Sometimes it just isn't the right time for that group, and I'm cool with that.

I think the "interrupting" opener came from Gregory Wilson. I think the "free card trick" line came from Simon Lovell.

Unlike some magicians, I have no problem opening with cards. For years I did many strolling gigs doing almost all card tricks. The only non-card stuff I did was the occasional sponge ball routine for kids and professor's nightmare for larger groups. Lately I'm been doing other stuff too, but I think it is possible to mainly do card tricks and make them fun for people.

Christopher, thanks for mentioning the "conversation" opener! I think a lot of magicians forget about that very viable option.

Jay
[quote]On Dec 21, 2014, Frank Starsini wrote:
[quote]On Dec 7, 2014, deanbarlow wrote:
Hi guys,
Thanks,
Dean [/quote]

When someone starts the heavily overused "what do you guys do" thread, it's always polite to start by letting us know what YOU do.

Thank you, Dean, for your refreshing post, free from begging and queries demanding the results from other people's hard work.

I often use the profesosr's nightmare because it can immediately involve several spectators.
Sometimes I start with cards, but I'd prefer not to unless the perfect opportunity presents itself.

The PN has so many opportunities for interaction built-in.
As such, it invites a lot of interaction from the spectators, allowing the audience to fill the gaps, which would otherwise be filled with boring "patter". [/quote]

Hi Frank,

Any chance you'd be willing to talk a bit more about how you present the PN? When I perform the PN, I interact with the spectators in the beginning as they are examining the ropes. In the middle part, when I am doing the routine itself, I don't interact that much with them. My script has to do with hypnotizing them (ala James Lewis' presentation). One of the hypnotic suggestions I give them is to "live long and prosper" as I hold up the "Vulcan" hand. Many times people will respond in kind. I also get their involvement at the end by using a "restoration" of Richard Sanders where two spectators end up holding two of the three ropes. However, your post has me wondering if I'm missing some additional opportunities for interaction.

Just to give you an idea of what I do in the beginning, I hand out all three ropes to be examined. I make sure a lady examines the medium or long rope. When I get back the short rope, which is 10", I ask her how long she'd say the short piece of rope is, in inches. She guesses (usually around 7 or 8), and I give her hints so that she'll say 10". I then say, "your first guess was actually a pretty good one. One night I showed this to a group of hair dressers, and one said she thought that this [I point to the short piece of rope] was three inches long. [Pause until the laughter subsides.] She had been drinking. [Pause.] But, still, that's scary! And that's a true story; I could not make that up." Sometimes if the audience has been laughing pretty hard, I'll add, "you know that might account for some our haircuts." And then I go on with the rest of the routine.

That really is a true story, by the way. I was performing at a restaurant, and I was doing the PN for a table of hair dressers who were there for a holiday party. They had all been drinking in the bar before being seated, and they were drinking more at their table. I asked one of them to guess how long the 10" piece of rope was, and she said three inches. All of her coworkers burst into laughter. At first I had thought maybe she was joking, but I could tell from the look on her face that she wasn't joking!

If anyone can use any of this, feel free! And, Frank, if you'd be willing to tell us more about your presentation, that'd be great. If not, that's ok too.

Thanks,
Jay
I can't remember ever performing for strolling guys.
[quote]On Dec 22, 2014, Kabbalah wrote:
I can't remember ever performing for strolling guys. [/quote]

LMFAO!!!
Hi J
Have you tried Fibre Optics instead of PN? It starts off the same but has more audience-shocking visuals. Anyway my opener for a group of adults is another Sander's trick; extreme burn. "Do you want to know how to make money?" They are not going to say "No". Afterwards you can introduce yourself and ask if the want to see something else.
Richard
I learned three ropes and a baby many years ago. I updated to fiber optics later. I still tend to do just a straight PN a lot of the time.

I have a friend who uses extreme burn as his opener. I personally prefer Karl Hein's Rainmaker for two reasons. First, you can reset the bills as you put them away. You don't have to repeat the transformation to reset. Second, you don't have to carry around a bunch of large bills. My friend once lost his extreme burn bills. I'd hate to lose more than $500!

Jay
Hi Jay,
My Extreme Burn changes magazine paper to $10 bills, so not such a big investment. For strolling I then change the money back to paper "for safety" - then it is reset (changing back still gets a good reaction). I have the "Rainmaker" download but haven't set it up yet. Since you recommend it I'll look into it right after Christmas.

Richard
Hi Richard,

Have you had any issues with flashing? I have another friend who had made up the Extreme Burn packet they way you have it, with pieces of paper cut out of a magazine. He said he found it difficult to keep from flashing because the edges of the paper did not "match up" with the edges of the bills. So, he switched (no pun intended) to changing $1s to $100s.

When Karl Hein lectured here he said that with his Heiny 500 or Extreme Burn, he thinks switching the bills back, and thereby resetting the trick, is actually really important. He said he thinks the first switch is almost too quick for the audience to grasp. He said he thinks the switch back is what really sells the effect.

If you do make up Rainmaker, you might want to check out the patter/script I use. It is in a post in this thread.

Thanks,
Jay
I have done Fiber Optics and I really love some of the visuals. I found it to be less interactive, however.

Daryl's Rope Routine is also quite good.
Hi Jay,
I cut the paper from the picture pages of a glossy magazine so many colours are present and the very edge is unremarkable. If you reset after you have shown shown the individual bills it is easy and you can do it right in front of the spectators. If you fold the bills and put them away you have to reset in private.
Thanks for your patter offer.

Richard
Hi Frank,
I used to love PN but it is now too short a routine for me. Besides the added great visuals, Fibre Optics has an extra interactive part where a spectator holds up their fingers "like magic scissors" and cuts the long rope into two. Both are perfect in that they can be performed under any conditions, including close up and surrounded.
I have Daryl's "Expert Rope Magic" Volume 6 VHS tape. I remember it had some good stuff on it. I should look through it again.
Thanks for the idea.
Richard
I performed Daryl's Rope Routine many years ago. I still use the handling for PN from that routine. I think I gravitated toward Richard Sanders' routines because I found it easier to use the routines in strolling situations since you just put the ropes back in your pockets and you are ready to do the routine again.

I also feel motivated now to go back and look through the Daryl videos again. :-)

Jay
Message: Posted by: A Birthday Magician (Dec 27, 2014 07:21AM)
I open with paper to money, then move into signed card in mouth exchange..or the kissing trick...this sets the bar high and the reactions are awesome
I was looking through Eugene Burger's book The Performance of Close-Up Magic, and I was drawn to Richard Kaufman's interview of Eugene about the Haunted Deck. Eugene said "a lot of times I use this [the Haunted Deck] as my opener when I do walkaround." He says he likes it as an opener because it is magical and shows you "mean business" as a magician. I've never used the Haunted Deck as an opener, but I'm wondering if anyone else on here has. Any thoughts?

Jay
[quote]On Dec 25, 2014, TheMightyRicardo wrote:
Hi Frank,
I used to love PN but it is now too short a routine for me. Besides the added great visuals, Fibre Optics has an extra interactive part where a spectator holds up their fingers "like magic scissors" and cuts the long rope into two. Both are perfect in that they can be performed under any conditions, including close up and surrounded.
I have Daryl's "Expert Rope Magic" Volume 6 VHS tape. I remember it had some good stuff on it. I should look through it again.
Thanks for the idea.
Richard [/quote]

One thing that I forgot to mention earlier is that the PN can be done quite quickly. However, the "hypnotizing the audience" presentation of James Lewis (at least, I think he came up with it; I learned it from a VHS tape of his) makes the routine play for a decent amount of time -- usually somewhere between 2:00 and 2:30. That is one reason why I fairly often do just a straight PN in strolling situations. Of course, if I have the time for a longer routine, Fiber Optics does have a lot of cool visuals. :-)

I think I remember Richard Sanders said that the reason he put together the original Three Ropes and a Baby routine was because if he was going to devote the pocket space for the PN ropes in strolling situations that he wanted to be able to do a longer routine with them. More bang for the (pocket space) buck, so to speak.

Jay
On Dec 28th 2014, Jay wrote: "..........I think I remember Richard Sanders said that the reason he put together the original Three Ropes and a Baby routine was because if he was going to devote the pocket space for the PN ropes in strolling situations that he wanted to be able to do a longer routine with them. More bang for the (pocket space) buck, so to speak."

My most reliable strolling routines are Richard Sander's ones. The comment on pocket space is especially true for me as I work in the Tropics and never wear a Jacket. I have changed from thin white ropes to thick colourful ropes (photo) as they can be seen near or far (I can also bring in a snake animation for parlour shows). They take up a lot of pocket space, but can be tucked into the belt if necessary. Thanks for the spur to look for new routines that use the props I already carry.

Richard
Richard Osterlind's Inside the fold is my new opener!
A while back when the 1 to 100 was popular, I broke-into small groups using the hosts name as leverage.

"Bob" wanted me to give someone-deserving a dollar.... Have you seen this puzzle with the dollar, where it vanishes "?

/ using the hosts name and flashing cash breaks the ice.
I just wanted to ask again if anyone on here has used the Haunted Deck as an opener in strolling situations besides
Eugene Burger. I'm curious to know if anyone has done so, what the response was. I'm also curious about what the rest of you think of the idea.

Jay
I think without Eugenes personality to sell it that it would be a tough opening.
[quote]On Dec 31, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
I think without Eugenes personality to sell it that it would be a tough opening. [/quote]

Hi Danny,

That's an interesting point. I'm curious about your reasoning that leads you to that conclusion. (By the way, I'm not being confrontational here. I am genuinely interested in the thinking behind your statement.) Do you think that because it is a card trick? Is it because the "magic" doesn't happen quickly enough? Maybe it's not "flashy"?

You may be quite right, of course. Eugene's personality is . . . unique (and I mean that in a good way!). I am quite sure that a lot of what he does would be difficult for others to sell because they do not have his personality.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my question! And, if you would be willing to write a bit more about what led you to your conclusion, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jay
There are two parts to magic. Doing the trick and selling the trick. (The premise to the audience that is.)

Mechanically not so tough thing. But to open and such when they have no idea of who you are is tough. Eugene sort of is that even later. So it is great for him to define himself as such. Others perhaps not. I say perhaps I hope you notice.

You have to ask what the goal of the opening is in the first place. Isn't that really what the ultimate question should be? Then find effects that suit that purpose for you.

Card openers do not bother me in the least.
[quote]On Jan 1, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
There are two parts to magic. Doing the trick and selling the trick. (The premise to the audience that is.)

Mechanically not so tough thing. But to open and such when they have no idea of who you are is tough. Eugene sort of is that even later. So it is great for him to define himself as such. Others perhaps not. I say perhaps I hope you notice.

You have to ask what the goal of the opening is in the first place. Isn't that really what the ultimate question should be? Then find effects that suit that purpose for you.

Card openers do not bother me in the least. [/quote]

Hi Mr. Doyle,

I understand what you are saying about finding effects that suit the purpose for me. The reason why I asked the initial question was because I often like to hear about others' experiences and opinions.

I really wasn't asking about the Haunted Pack as an opener for me. I already have opening effects that I like to do and that seem to work well, at least for me.

I asked the question about the Haunted Pack because I was curious if anyone else had tried using it as an opener and what their experience was. I was also curious about what other people thought about the idea in general.

Peace,
Jay
Asking others may take you down a road you had not considered. That is great.
Eugene Burger's opener would have been his mysterious aura. He is immediately interesting as soon as he opens his mouth and can get people hooked in before any magic is needed.
To analyse how he uses it as an opener, we would need to see his script, as that would no doubt be the most important part.
I usually start with some fan shuffles and a one handed shuffle then do the ambitious card. The few flourishes really set you apart from their uncle Fred that does a couple of card tricks.

Steve
I usually open with acaan followed by Osterlind's Card calling.
[quote]On Jan 1, 2015, steve ehlers wrote:
I usually start with some fan shuffles and a one handed shuffle then do the ambitious card. The few flourishes really set you apart from their uncle Fred that does a couple of card tricks.

Steve [/quote]

That reminds me that I think Jay Sankey said on a DVD that his favorite opener was to spring the cards. That one flourish set him apart from "Uncle Fred" (not that there's anything wrong with being an uncle, a Fred, or an Uncle Fred).

I don't do very many flourishes. Still, I think these are interesting ideas/approaches.

Jay
[quote]On Jan 1, 2015, David Fillary wrote:
Eugene Burger's opener would have been his mysterious aura. He is immediately interesting as soon as he opens his mouth and can get people hooked in before any magic is needed.
To analyse how he uses it as an opener, we would need to see his script, as that would no doubt be the most important part. [/quote]

Here is some of the exchange between Burger and Kaufman in The Performance of Close-Up Magic:

Eugene: . . . Now, a lot of times I use this [the Haunted Deck] as my opener when I do walkaround. I go over to the corner, get hooked up, walk up to the people with the deck of cards in my hand. I spread the cards between my hands, look at the people and smile, and say, "I'm the magician...." I count silently to three and add, "well, someone has to do it," they laugh and then I ask someone to pick a card. I do this as an opening trick and as an opener it's great because there's no problem of getting set up, you're already set up, and the thing is so magical that they suddenly realize that you're an "I-mean-business magician" as opposed to someone who's going to bore them.

Richard: As opposed to Uncle Geek.

Eugene: That's right.

That's all that was said at that point. I don't know if Eugene uses the spirits-make-the-deck-move-and-find-the-card themed presentation detailed in The Performance of Close-Up Magic in strolling situations or if he uses a different presentation in that context.

It seems to me that Eugene uses the Haunted Pack routine kind of like other people use flourishes, to show that you're not going to be a boring magician, an Uncle Geek/Fred.

All interesting ideas. Since The Performance of Close-Up Magic was published in 1987, I'd have figured that some other magicians would have also tried the routine as an opener in strolling work. But, perhaps not.

One more thing -- I think Eugene Burger's books and DVDs are fantastic. If you don't have The Performance of Close-Up Magic, I'd highly recommend picking it up. You can read about the Haunted Pack, Eugene's presentation for it, and a whole lot more good stuff. :-)

Jay
As a few have mentioned above I also like to open with conversation to get people to like me initially and so in their eyes I become more than just the guy performing tricks.

I used to often open with something direct and mind boggling like the invisible deck (presented with a more mentalism style) but recently I found when performing impromptu on nights out for friends of friends I would get great reactions by placing an envelope containing a playing card in their hand and then simply forcing the card by equivoque on them (This was brought about as I don't always like carrying a deck of cards on a night out for one reason or another) I found the reactions were really strong so I've now brought this into my walkabout set and it's gone down a treat..so simple as well!

If I'm doing tables depending on the setting (noise level, size of table etc) and the type of people at the table, I will either open with something like Colin Mcleods 'By Association' or for something a little more light hearted I will use Andy Nymans 'Big Reaction'
My opening for the last few monthes - and I am strolling every week for few hours at least - I come to a group,without anything in the hands, introduce myself. Then I say, usually to a girl: "Please, Hold your hand like that", placing Ultra-mental aka ID on her hand. "I feel you have a special gift or power. We will test if you are psyhic or not. In this deck one card is reversed,you can move your another hand around the deck, try to feel what is the name of the card. If you will name it correctly we will move together to psyhic tv-show". She names one card, it's really reversed, I am joking about how good she is and how she knew that?!
For me it does few things - breaks the ice, she is doing trick not me, I compliment her,set a playful mood.
Dzen871 - thank you for that presentation, it is fantastic!
I like to open with a fast quick routine to test the people. Usually something where they can just watch without holding anything. For Example, The Invisible Deck. If they seem unpleasant or unresponsive, I move on. If they seem friendly and look like they enjoy the Magic, then I follow it up with something which may require them to hold something to get them more involved. I choose most Magic which is instantly reset, angle proof and easy to do and carry. This is how I roll! Cheers!
[quote]On Jan 11, 2015, dzen871 wrote:
My opening for the last few monthes - and I am strolling every week for few hours at least - I come to a group,without anything in the hands, introduce myself. Then I say, usually to a girl: "Please, Hold your hand like that", placing Ultra-mental aka ID on her hand. "I feel you have a special gift or power. We will test if you are psyhic or not. In this deck one card is reversed,you can move your another hand around the deck, try to feel what is the name of the card. If you will name it correctly we will move together to psyhic tv-show". She names one card, it's really reversed, I am joking about how good she is and how she knew that?!
For me it does few things - breaks the ice, she is doing trick not me, I compliment her,set a playful mood. [/quote]

"Hi. I'm Niccolo, and you appear to be the Magician for the evening (LOL)v... please hold you hand like this ..."
Though I have not done this personally I do think it is a great opener for restaurant. Steve Spill made a fake plate of spaghetti with three hollow opening that he could put sponge balls in. He would walk up to a table and say "who ordered the spaghetti?" he then sat it on the table and went into his sponge ball routine. Simple and effective and the psychology behind it is brilliant; first you are breaking into the guest space with a question which is relevant holding a plate, then you create a moment of confusion that forces them to interact with you for the moment breaking the ice and dropping their guard totally, then there is a humorous outcome as you set the plate down.

I can see that moment where they will chuckle and realize that you are there to create mass havoc and pandemonium for their entertainment. I would not be surprised at all if every guest talked about this long after they totally forgot the 45 phase ambitious card routine we are all so proud of. :)
Hi guys - I have a new effect out called Duo which I use as my opener. It’s a copper silver coin routine that is highly visual, short and punchy, instantly reset, and is all in your hands. Lots of magic happens in a short space of time - a great attention getter and instantly announces your arrival!
Check out "Tap Three Times" on Lybrary.com. It is a multi-phase impromptu routine using three borrowed quarters or similar coins.
No gaffs and completely surrounded. Only moderate skill required. All movements are natural, i.e. what a lay person would so in handing a coin.

The advantage is that you can appraise the audience interest and appreciation of magic as a prelude for your favorite effects - or not.
and -- you can train the observers as to Patterns you might use in later sleights.

NEW? Nope, I have been doing all the component modules for decades, some more that 20,000 times with business owners over the last 60 years.
The combination/series as an opener started in 2001 and used dozens of times. The problem is that my increasing disabilities restrict the opportunities.

So, I am releasing many Techniques and Methods that I kept to myself that are ideal for Table Hopping and Walk round.
Many use "found objects" rather than coins. Write me ken@eversway.com if you have a special interest and I can direct you to the best eBook release.

Some can even use the Secret Servante ;)
Quick card force and then reveal that the rest of the deck blank.