(Close Window)
Topic: Ice Cold by Morgan Strebler LIMITED EDITION (2 DVD Set)
The product can be found here: http://www.sansminds.com/index.php/ice-cold-by-morgan-strebler.html

I wonder if it's going to contain any information that's not in Ice Cold the book. I was disappointed in Ice Cold, it was way overpriced in my opinion, especially for something that's not limited. However, this may be a good purchase for those who haven't bought the book as I feel $150 is a more accurate price for the information that was presented in the book.
I kind of agree, Gorgeous. Had I known I could have gotten the DVDs for half the price of the book, I'd have waited.
I have a feeling the DVD is due to poor sales of the book. Pure speculation on my part, but that's the feeling I get.
Limited to only 700 copies.

Does that mean hurry or take your time?

700 street magicians doing hit-n-run psychological assault and battery sort of worries me. The latest video is even more disturbing than the original.

Gypsyfish: is the point to the whole Ice Cold 'system' just to mentally mug someone, or is there a non-ego non passive-aggressive value to it all? Could you give some insight here? Thanks.
[quote]On Dec 12, 2014, Alwow wrote:
I have a feeling the DVD is due to poor sales of the book. Pure speculation on my part, but that's the feeling I get. [/quote]

From what I understand Morgan sold all of the 399 he planned to released but then he signed a deal to make it unlimited.
I wrote a long assessment of it in the other thread and am too lazy to look it up. For me, in the end, there were good and useful things/information in the book, but I thought the price was a bit hefty. That said I willingly paid it because I thought It could use the information. From the time I ordered it to when I got it, I re-evaluated what I felt readings should be about (I had been re-evaluating for a while before this) and that was another reason I decided it wasn't to my taste. I found parts of it too manipulative.

That said, Morgan deserves credit for writing it. He's clearly used the techniques, they work for him and I agree when he says that the reader should be using a system, like palmistry, tarot or whatever. He gives an overview of both of them and runes, too.

It sounds weird, but I don't regret buying the book, just spending so much money for it.
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Dec 17, 2014 05:51AM)
Didn't he copy and paste much of his .....uhhhhhh.... book from public domain writings from the internet?

Ray
I've recently read this, Ray, and, if true, it bothers me.
From the ads:

"This new DVD set is Morgan Strebler's latest and most unique work to date. The release is meant to set a record and not intended to be owned by everyone."

Does anyone know what he's talking about or what kind of 'record' he intended to set? Just curious.
[quote]On Dec 12, 2014, Tom Jorgenson wrote:
700 street magicians doing hit-n-run psychological assault and battery sort of worries me.[/quote]

I seriously doubt that'll ever happen. Ever heard of the Pareto principle (the 8020 rule)?

Here's how I think it likely applies to magic effects:

Let's say 700 copies are sold. Of those, 80% will probably never take the time to really learn and absorb the information; only 20% of the purchasers will (140).

Of those 20%, probably 80% will leave it there and never continue. 20% will continue to work on it (28).

Of those 20-of-20 percent, 80% will never put it into their active repertoire. Only 20% will actively use it (5-6 people).

And of those, only 20% will really get GOOD at it.

This is pure speculation, but I suspect that the 80-20 rule really does apply to magic effects released to our community in this way, and I don't think you need to worry about 700 street magicians doing hit-n-run psychological assault and battery. Just my two pennies.

-Nathan Allen
http://DirtyJokesAndMagicTricks.com
Wow Durden, a very interesting analysis on the principle of Pareto applied to magic... very itneresting.
The Pareto Principle...sure sounds about right. I'd never heard of it before. Wiki has a nice page on it. It seems to apply to the effects I buy, too.
I've seen the Pareto principle applied to economics and games but to apply it to magic purchases is interesting. I have no doubts there is at least some validity to it as you can pretty much apply it to abything.
Hello all,

Has anybody bought this ? I would like to buy this, but I live outside US. So, do this works only in English ? Do this works in Spanish or Portuguese ?

Thanks in advance,

Jack
[quote]On Dec 24, 2014, jackbr wrote:
Hello all,

Has anybody bought this ? I would like to buy this, but I live outside US. So, do this works only in English ? Do this works in Spanish or Portuguese ?

Thanks in advance,

Jack [/quote]

As soon as I will received mine by the end of the year, I will let you know.
Thank you BlackZ ! I will wait your comments :) !
Save your money and buy Readings as Entertainment by Richard webster
[quote]On Dec 26, 2014, Chamberlain wrote:
Save your money and buy Readings as Entertainment by Richard webster [/quote]

Doh!!!
[quote]On Dec 26, 2014, Chamberlain wrote:
Save your money and buy Readings as Entertainment by Richard webster [/quote]

Chamberlain, did you get the DVD set to make that assessment? I'd like to hear from people who have actually received their sets and for honest reviews.
Just arrived, give me the time to see them and I will post my thoughts
Yes BlackZ. Would love to hear your thoughts about this.
I have just finished to watch both the DVD.

First of all they could have done everything on a single DVD instead of two but I think that this is a marketing move to justify this high price that is anyway too high for what it is.

In the first DVD you see some performances, then there is a general introduction of the cold reading and how it works with a general script on Barnum's style (Barnum's statement) and it end with a superficial description about palm reading, I hate when they told you, if you want to know more about that, buy this other product of mine... for what this DVD cost, just go into the details as you have a lot of space to use on both the DVDs.

The second DVD is about Tarot's reading, again a superficial introduction that you can deepen on another product of him, and on how to close the reading.

Do not misunderstand me, the product is not bad at all but of course it is too expensive for what it is and it is just for a person who has never done a cold reading before and, anyway, this person have to study in details on some other source how to do a palm reading or a tarot reading because of here the presentation is very superficial.

If I want to learn readings (palm, tarots, ...) there are a lot of better products which cost much much much less.

At the very end then he tolds that these DVDs could be the right companion for the Ice Cold Reading book... I have thought that this is a subtitute of the book not a companion... anyway that's my mistake.

Hope this could help.
[quote]On Dec 29, 2014, BlackZ wrote:
I have just finished to watch both the DVD.

First of all they could have done everything on a single DVD instead of two but I think that this is a marketing move to justify this high price that is anyway too high for what it is.

In the first DVD you see some performances, then there is a general introduction of the cold reading and how it works with a general script on Barnum's style (Barnum's statement) and it end with a superficial description about palm reading, I hate when they told you, if you want to know more about that, buy this other product of mine... for what this DVD cost, just go into the details as you have a lot of space to use on both the DVDs.

The second DVD is about Tarot's reading, again a superficial introduction that you can deepen on another product of him, and on how to close the reading.

Do not misunderstand me, the product is not bad at all but of course it is too expensive for what it is and it is just for a person who has never done a cold reading before and, anyway, this person have to study in details on some other source how to do a palm reading or a tarot reading because of here the presentation is very superficial.

If I want to learn readings (palm, tarots, ...) there are a lot of better products which cost much much much less.

At the very end then he tolds that these DVDs could be the right companion for the Ice Cold Reading book... I have thought that this is a subtitute of the book not a companion... anyway that's my mistake.

Hope this could help. [/quote]

Thank you for your review, and for saving me $150.
I watched the DVDs and I can say that you can get 95% of this info from different resources BUT if you want to learn a fast way to do readings in one place, this may be for you. Is it worth $150 maybe not.
Message: Posted by: Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse (Dec 31, 2014 04:01PM)
Alright guys I really need your help with this. I am a magician that has been practicing for about three and a half years. I love magic and have decided I want to learn mentalism too. I need to know if this is a good starting source for me or if it wont be worth the money without other resources and prior knowledge. If this wont be a good buy for me what should I get. I really appreciate all the help.
[quote]On Dec 31, 2014, Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse wrote:
Alright guys I really need your help with this. I am a magician that has been practicing for about three and a half years. I love magic and have decided I want to learn mentalism too. I need to know if this is a good starting source for me or if it wont be worth the money without other resources and prior knowledge. If this wont be a good buy for me what should I get. I really appreciate all the help. [/quote]

This won't be what you're looking for. Look into Richard Osterlinds 6 DVD set on Annemann's Mental Effects. It's a great deal and great for a beginner!
Message: Posted by: Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse (Dec 31, 2014 04:16PM)
Thanks a lot. I was stupid and ordered this from penguin magic without doing enough research. I though it would allow me to become an efficient cold reader. I'm just glad they have a return policy and I haven't opened it yet.
Message: Posted by: Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse (Dec 31, 2014 04:20PM)
Also will this set of DVDs help me learn how to cold read others. If not what are some good resources that will help me with this.
I haven't received my set of Ice Cold yet, but this may be a good source for a beginner in doing cold readings... Not sure.
If you want to get started in Mentalism effects, this isn't the set.
The Osterlind set will not teach you how to Cold Read but will teach Mind Reading effects.
Message: Posted by: Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse (Dec 31, 2014 04:56PM)
Alright do you have any recommendations for cold reading and please let me know what you think of the dvd. Thanks again
I'm just getting into readings myself. My girlfriend ordered me this set for Christmas. Looks like it's going to be "ok".... lol
I'd suggest getting a good grounding in mentalism before you get into readings. Corinda is the standard book, along with Bob Cassidy's works. Richard Osterland's DVD, as mentioned before are great. If you're interested in readings, learn an oracle, like tarot, palm reading or numerology
Look into Julian Moores ebooks. Really cheap prices for really great, fast to learn systems. I only have the palm reading one right now but will most likely get the others.
Message: Posted by: Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse (Jan 1, 2015 05:07PM)
Thanks a lot for all the recommendations guys. I really appreciate it. I'll look into them and give them a try. I already own corinda and that's what got me interested.
Message: Posted by: Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse (Jan 1, 2015 07:00PM)
Is stunners by larry becker a good place to start also or should I stay away from it.
This was one of the worst mentalism products I've ever purchased. Nothing that hasn't appeared in numerous other cold reading publications. The "system" is too basic and not explained well, and jumps all over the place.

Jheff also didn't like it, from his newsletter: "Morgan Strebler's ICE COLD - I have serious issues with this. The marketing is incredibly misleading, it's priced much higher compared to other similar items, the information on the DVD is not organized or presented in a way that delivers on its promise, and, most importantly, I found hardly anything original and/or worthy of the marketing and price that's being asked. Yes, I know Bob Cassidy and Marc Salem both seemed to give high praise to it, but I think the comments may have been taken out of context. Anyway, if you still want it..."

There are much better cold reading products available at much more reasonable prices.
[quote]On Jan 7, 2015, clairvoyant wrote:
This was one of the worst mentalism products I've ever purchased. Nothing that hasn't appeared in numerous other cold reading publications. The "system" is too basic and not explained well, and jumps all over the place.

Jheff also didn't like it, from his newsletter: "Morgan Strebler's ICE COLD - I have serious issues with this. The marketing is incredibly misleading, it's priced much higher compared to other similar items, the information on the DVD is not organized or presented in a way that delivers on its promise, and, most importantly, I found hardly anything original and/or worthy of the marketing and price that's being asked. Yes, I know Bob Cassidy and Marc Salem both seemed to give high praise to it, but I think the comments may have been taken out of context. Anyway, if you still want it..."

There are much better cold reading products available at much more reasonable prices. [/quote]

I agree with Jheff's assessment of this product. Nothing new or original here. It is a haphazard "system" that obviously "borrows" from other sources. The routines and performances are uninspiring to say the least. This came off completely as a guy just trying to fake it. A DVD set priced at 150 dollars should be delivering big time. This should have been a 40 dollar set, but even at that price this would have been very disappointing.

I bought this purely on speculation based on some of the endorsements. Big mistake. 1 / 10 for me.
While I don't do cold reading besides throwing a random guess out here and there during some mind reading, I found this to be "alright". It was cool to watch it all in action but I agree with a lot of people who say this is unoriginal and overpriced. A $40/$50 price tag would've been more reasonable.

I will be putting this to work and add some more cold reading techniques in the mix...

Now, I got a question.... Is there books out with different techniques on how to handle misses?
[quote]Now, I got a question.... Is there books out with different techniques on how to handle misses? [/quote]

Yes. The three that I'd recommend for handling misses are Rowland's Full Facts Book of Cold Reading. There are either 11 or 13 misses discussed in the Win-Win Game section, including the one discussed on Ice Cold. The Dance by Brad Henderson covers several others (including the one discussed on Ice Cold). There is some overlap in the two books in the misses discussed, but not a lot. Finally, Mind Reading by Kenton Knepper has some more, too. I'd say between the three books there, you'll probably find nearly 30 different outs that can be used for different types of cold reading statements, and ways to evolve the statement so you never appeared to miss.
[quote]On Jan 10, 2015, sbays wrote:
[quote]On Jan 7, 2015, clairvoyant wrote:

There are much better cold reading products available at much more reasonable prices. [/quote]

I agree with Jheff's assessment of this product. Nothing new or original here. It is a haphazard "system" that obviously "borrows" from other sources. The routines and performances are uninspiring to say the least. This came off completely as a guy just trying to fake it. A DVD set priced at 150 dollars should be delivering big time. This should have been a 40 dollar set, but even at that price this would have been very disappointing.

I bought this purely on speculation based on some of the endorsements. Big mistake. 1 / 10 for me. [/quote]

I have to say I'm certainly not thrilled with it either. Too much effort into the DVD production and not enough NEW content, in fact most of the ideas I've been using for years. Certainly does not live up to the pre-launch hype.
Thanks Clairvoyant!
You're welcome. The sad thing is that you can get all three of those books for less than the cost of this dvd set, and it only discussed one out.
Yeah.. That's what I get for not waiting for reviews.
Am I the only one to feel a lack of ethic with this product ?
The trailer : A voice that sounds like evil.. Heay metal music.. Mr Strebler whispering something to a girl, she starts to freak and cry (and that does not seem to be for having a good time) ... what for ? for your 2 minutes of local glory ? Is this what you propose ? Punch the spectator right where it hurts, to get strong reactions ? Oh ! No Problem.. I'm sure he will take care of her..

It ends with : "What do you do with this power ?" I'm sure Morgan wondered, but I'm not sure he found the answer.
Feel sad mentalism can turn into this kind of things.
Get Ron Martin's The Tarot Reader's Notebook instead, or Ian Rowland's Full Facts of Cold Reading, or Brad Henderson's The Dance. Much better value for your money.
[quote]On Feb 27, 2015, Seethings wrote:
Get Ron Martin's The Tarot Reader's Notebook instead, or Ian Rowland's Full Facts of Cold Reading, or Brad Henderson's The Dance. Much better value for your money. [/quote]

Also highly recommend TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford, and Corpus by Iain Dunford. I would start with TPR.
Well, since Iain and I began with Ron Martin, et al, I'd have to agree with Seethings, :)
But I sincerely appreciate the mention.

d
I received a full cash refund for the price that I paid. Morgan apologized for the content and I give him kudos for manning up.

Regards,
Mike
I have to admit when I saw this I thought it I may get it just to help me get into the whole cold reading and mentalism aspect of magic but am glad I came here to check first and avoided a mistake.