(Close Window)
Topic: Si Stebbins Stack
Message: Posted by: Anand Khalsa (Dec 22, 2014 09:37PM)
What is the single best (i.e most impressive) use of the Si Stebbins Stack you have ever heard of?
Message: Posted by: Waterloophai (Dec 23, 2014 02:14AM)
That one where the spectator had not (and could have not) the slightest suspicion that there was a stack involved. And that goes for EVERY trick where you use a stack.
If you want to do "impressive" tricks, don't use Si Stebbins but learn a memorized deck. (which one is of no importance)
Message: Posted by: alicauchy (Dec 23, 2014 03:03AM)
[quote]On Dec 23, 2014, Waterloophai wrote:
That one where the spectator had not (and could have not) the slightest suspicion that there was a stack involved. And that goes for EVERY trick where you use a stack.
If you want to do "impressive" tricks, don't use Si Stebbins but learn a memorized deck. (which one is of no importance) [/quote]

For this matter, I prefer to use stack which can be prepared on-the-fly from NDO. In this respect, Si Stebbins works well (by using Darwin Ortiz's secret) and also Mnemonica.
Message: Posted by: sgtgrey (Dec 23, 2014 08:21AM)
There are some things you can do with the particular order of cards in si stebbins that you cannot accomplish with a memorized deck. Woody Aragon has some good effects that heavily rely on the nature of that specific stack (see Si Fry from A Book in English as an example).

Based on my enjoyment performing them and the response they elicit from my audiences (and also the fact that they are both essentially self-working), probably my personal all-time favorite effects involving Si Stebbins are Martyn Smith's Up the Ante routine and Ben Earl's Riverboat Routine from his Midnight DVD series. Martyn's is reminiscent of Lennart Green's effect Dragon's Pearl, but is essentially a completely hands off, multi-phased gambling-themed effect that will blow people away. Ben's routine is a gambling demo, starting with naming a peeked card using "poker tells," including a dealing demonstration for blackjack, poker, and bridge, and ending in a full deck to NDO ending.

There are some other great ones out there, but those two come immediately to mind as some of the best tricks that are specifically tied to the Si Stebbins stack.
Message: Posted by: Stanyon (Dec 23, 2014 11:26AM)
[quote]On Dec 23, 2014, alicauchy wrote:
For this matter, I prefer to use stack which can be prepared on-the-fly from NDO. In this respect, Si Stebbins works well (by using Darwin Ortiz's secret) and also Mnemonica. [/quote]

I concur. I've always liked performing Steven Youell's "Adequate Card Shark", which is an abbreviated approach to Darwin Ortiz's "Ultimate Card Shark"...I perform both.

I didn't bother including the other quote because it was biased and off topic.

Cheers! ;)
Message: Posted by: BarryFernelius (Dec 23, 2014 02:00PM)
[quote]On Dec 22, 2014, W wrote:
What is the single best (i.e most impressive) use of the Si Stebbins Stack you have ever heard of? [/quote]

One of the best ones that I ever saw was Gene Anderson's routine with the Si Stebbins stack.
Message: Posted by: alicauchy (Dec 23, 2014 03:03PM)
I'll have a look at Youell's version.

Thanks for the pointer.
Message: Posted by: Kabbalah (Dec 23, 2014 03:25PM)
Do see, [b]A Tribute to Dunninger[/b], in James Swain's [i]21st Century Card Magic[/i].

And, [b]Annemann's Miracle[/b], in Swain's [i]Miracles With Cards[/i].
Message: Posted by: magicfish (Dec 30, 2014 06:46PM)
[quote]On Dec 23, 2014, Waterloophai wrote:
That one where the spectator had not (and could have not) the slightest suspicion that there was a stack involved. And that goes for EVERY trick where you use a stack.
If you want to do "impressive" tricks, don't use Si Stebbins but learn a memorized deck. (which one is of no importance) [/quote]
I disagree. See James Swain's books.
Message: Posted by: magicfish (Dec 31, 2014 04:52AM)
Kaballah beat me to it.
Message: Posted by: Anand Khalsa (Dec 31, 2014 01:39PM)
Thanks all!
Message: Posted by: lcwright1964 (Dec 31, 2014 02:17PM)
[quote]On Dec 23, 2014, Waterloophai wrote:
That one where the spectator had not (and could have not) the slightest suspicion that there was a stack involved. And that goes for EVERY trick where you use a stack.
If you want to do "impressive" tricks, don't use Si Stebbins but learn a memorized deck. (which one is of no importance) [/quote]

There are some effects that rely specifically on the structure of a cyclic tetradistic stack, like SS or 8K, in the method--Max Maven's Mockingbird is the one that comes to mind for me, and I suspect that even it can be modified for use with a non-cyclic random memorized order. However, as a memdeck fanatic I tend to agree with you, but with this specification: if an effect uses SS or 8K or the like simply to discern the identity of a card through noting its neighbour, or the location of the card through some computation, then the short-term pain of memorizing a stack is well worth it.

That said, plenty of fine card magicians forego memorization. I don't think Harry Lorayne ever works with a memorized deck, though he easily could. In Simon Aronson's recent book, he writes of modifying his birthday effects with a computational system in order to accommodate session mate John Bannon, who never memorized a deck.
Message: Posted by: magicfish (Dec 31, 2014 03:40PM)
Yes, he does. Lorayne I mean. Someone hands him a random shuffled deck. He memorizes it.
Message: Posted by: Kabbalah (Dec 31, 2014 05:18PM)
[quote]On Dec 31, 2014, magicfish wrote:
Yes, he does. Lorayne I mean. Someone hands him a random shuffled deck. He memorizes it. [/quote]

Couldn't do it today, and, I doubt that he ever did.
Message: Posted by: lcwright1964 (Dec 31, 2014 05:40PM)
[quote]On Dec 31, 2014, Kabbalah wrote:
[quote]On Dec 31, 2014, magicfish wrote:
Yes, he does. Lorayne I mean. Someone hands him a random shuffled deck. He memorizes it. [/quote]

Couldn't do it today, and, I doubt that he ever did. [/quote]

Mr. Lorayne has never been shy about boasting about his skills, and in particular reminding those of us who weren't even born yet that at one time his memory feats were the toast of late night television. If he has memorized a shuffled deck on the fly and has done memdeck miracles in the vein of Aronson, Tamariz, Close, and that ilk, I think he would've talked about it. I don't think he's mentioned it.
Message: Posted by: Harry Lorayne (Dec 31, 2014 06:02PM)
What I've written about a few times is - that many years (read "decades") ago, I'd excuse myself - had to go to the bathroom to wash my hands - and I'd take the borrowed, shuffled, deck with me. And, I'd memorize it as it lie - in the bathroom. Then, I'd re-appear, do some false shuffles, and so a couple of memorized-deck things. Haven't done that in decades - no need to. I can do stronger "un-memorized" deck effects. But, so unimportant. One piece of advise, however - listen to Kabalah - he really KNOWS! (I doubt that he really does.)
Message: Posted by: Harry Lorayne (Dec 31, 2014 06:10PM)
Oh, and lcwright1964 - would you give us all an example where I "boasted about my skills"? Just curious. I've mentioned, for example, that I was on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson 24 times - now, I always assumed that was a simple statement of fact. Do you consider that "boasting." I've stated other facts re: my life and my work - but "facts," not boasting. Yes, I'm proud of what I've accomplished, but - as I've asked - please show us all an example where I "boasted". I'd appreciate it, as would all of us. Thanks.
Message: Posted by: lcwright1964 (Dec 31, 2014 06:28PM)
[quote]On Dec 31, 2014, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Oh, and lcwright1964 - would you give us all an example where I "boasted about my skills"? Just curious. I've mentioned, for example, that I was on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson 24 times - now, I always assumed that was a simple statement of fact. Do you consider that "boasting." I've stated other facts re: my life and my work - but "facts," not boasting. Yes, I'm proud of what I've accomplished, but - as I've asked - please show us all an example where I "boasted". I'd appreciate it, as would all of us. Thanks. [/quote]

You just did! Boasting doesn't necessarily mean exaggerating, just openly pointing out one's actual achievements. You are more forthright about what you have achieved and accolades you have received. Others are less inclined to do that, i.e., they do not boast, at least not so much. There are quite a few card men around of your calibre, some of them who share here and some who don't. But in most cases, the main sources of information about their competencies are others, not they themselves. On the other hand, the main reason I know that Harry Lorayne is so impressive is because Harry Lorayne told me so--more than once, too. Nothing wrong with boasting factually, I agree, but I do have to say it is more impressive to hear of someone's excellent reputation from admirer's other than the person involved, no matter how much self-admiration is justified. I think that's what reputations are supposed to be about.
Message: Posted by: magicfish (Dec 31, 2014 09:38PM)
[quote]On Dec 31, 2014, Kabbalah wrote:
[quote]On Dec 31, 2014, magicfish wrote:
Yes, he does. Lorayne I mean. Someone hands him a random shuffled deck. He memorizes it. [/quote]

Couldn't do it today, and, I doubt that he ever did. [/quote]
I don't lie.
Message: Posted by: magicfish (Dec 31, 2014 09:42PM)
[quote]On Dec 31, 2014, lcwright1964 wrote:
[quote]On Dec 31, 2014, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Oh, and lcwright1964 - would you give us all an example where I "boasted about my skills"? Just curious. I've mentioned, for example, that I was on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson 24 times - now, I always assumed that was a simple statement of fact. Do you consider that "boasting." I've stated other facts re: my life and my work - but "facts," not boasting. Yes, I'm proud of what I've accomplished, but - as I've asked - please show us all an example where I "boasted". I'd appreciate it, as would all of us. Thanks. [/quote]

You just did! Boasting doesn't necessarily mean exaggerating, just openly pointing out one's actual achievements. You are more forthright about what you have achieved and accolades you have received. Others are less inclined to do that, i.e., they do not boast, at least not so much. There are quite a few card men around of your calibre, some of them who share here and some who don't. But in most cases, the main sources of information about their competencies are others, not they themselves. On the other hand, the main reason I know that Harry Lorayne is so impressive is because Harry Lorayne told me so--more than once, too. Nothing wrong with boasting factually, I agree, but I do have to say it is more impressive to hear of someone's excellent reputation from admirer's other than the person involved, no matter how much self-admiration is justified. I think that's what reputations are supposed to be about. [/quote]
No offense, but if all you know of Lorayne's contributions to magic is what you've heard from him, then you simply havent studied card magic.
Message: Posted by: lcwright1964 (Dec 31, 2014 09:52PM)
[quote]On Dec 31, 2014, magicfish wrote:
[quote]On Dec 31, 2014, lcwright1964 wrote:
[quote]On Dec 31, 2014, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Oh, and lcwright1964 - would you give us all an example where I "boasted about my skills"? Just curious. I've mentioned, for example, that I was on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson 24 times - now, I always assumed that was a simple statement of fact. Do you consider that "boasting." I've stated other facts re: my life and my work - but "facts," not boasting. Yes, I'm proud of what I've accomplished, but - as I've asked - please show us all an example where I "boasted". I'd appreciate it, as would all of us. Thanks. [/quote]

You just did! Boasting doesn't necessarily mean exaggerating, just openly pointing out one's actual achievements. You are more forthright about what you have achieved and accolades you have received. Others are less inclined to do that, i.e., they do not boast, at least not so much. There are quite a few card men around of your calibre, some of them who share here and some who don't. But in most cases, the main sources of information about their competencies are others, not they themselves. On the other hand, the main reason I know that Harry Lorayne is so impressive is because Harry Lorayne told me so--more than once, too. Nothing wrong with boasting factually, I agree, but I do have to say it is more impressive to hear of someone's excellent reputation from admirer's other than the person involved, no matter how much self-admiration is justified. I think that's what reputations are supposed to be about. [/quote]
No offense, but if all you know of Lorayne's contributions to magic is what you've heard from him, then you simply havent studied card magic. [/quote]

I didn't say he was the only source. I said he was the main source. He has a genius for self-promotion, so how could it be otherwise?
Message: Posted by: magicfish (Dec 31, 2014 09:56PM)
Fair enough.
Message: Posted by: Kabbalah (Dec 31, 2014 10:18PM)
[quote]On Dec 31, 2014, magicfish wrote:
[quote]On Dec 31, 2014, Kabbalah wrote:
[quote]On Dec 31, 2014, magicfish wrote:

Yes, he does. Lorayne I mean. Someone hands him a random shuffled deck. He memorizes it. [/quote]

Couldn't do it today, and, I doubt that he ever did. [/quote]
I don't lie. [/quote]

My opinion has nothing to do with your veracity.

Harry himself just stated..."What I've written about a few times is - that many years (read "decades") ago, I'd excuse myself - had to go to the bathroom to wash my hands - and I'd take the borrowed, shuffled, deck with me."

I know that I would be a tad more than curious as to why someone would disappear with a "borrowed, shuffled deck". Kind of makes the shuffling moot, does it not? So how would one know after that if the deck was actually memorized?
Message: Posted by: magicfish (Jan 1, 2015 12:32AM)
Kabbalah, have you read The Memory Book?
Message: Posted by: Harry Lorayne (Jan 1, 2015 08:29AM)
Or HOW TO DEVELOP A SUPER-POWER MEMORY, or MEMORY MAKES MONEY, or PAGE-A-MINUTE MEMORY BOOK, or AGELESS MEMORY? ???
Message: Posted by: JanForster (Jan 1, 2015 09:44AM)
I use a memorized deck and go to the bathroom to do my switch...
Message: Posted by: Harry Lorayne (Jan 1, 2015 09:55AM)
Hey, lcwright1964 - one of your wonderful remarks pertaining to me is: "...it is more impressive to hear of someone's excellent reputation from admirer's other than the person involved..." Another is: "...the main sources of information about their competencies are from others, not they themselves."

Now, are you talking about posts/"admirers"(most from here at the Café)like I'll list below? Let me know. Because if that's what you mean - I have hundreds more for you! They do help to make it all worthwhile for me, and I thank you so much for giving me the opportunity/the rationale for posting them here. I'm quite sure that you'll say that I'm boasting. If you do, and I'm pretty sure you will - I have two 2-word phrases for you - one is "That's right!" (I sure am!) The other is...oh, well, you know. And I'd think of you as lcwrong! Here are just a few:

"Harry Lorayne IS the man. Nobody else even comes close. Any magic book ever written after his owes a humble nod to his countless and priceless contributions. Harry is called a "master" by many of the greats and well-knowns in magic. He is a genius in his own right and brought the genius of many others to us through his many selfless works and the art of magic would not be the same without him. He is a scholar, historian, collector, writer, mentor and a gifted performer.
"There is a piece of Harry Lorayne in every magician who is worth his weight in salt. Harry, you ARE the man!" (Fingerjack - The Magic Café: 5-31-13)

"Probably the greatest teacher magic has ever seen! I earn my living performing many of the routines I first learned from your books. You have been a constant source of inspiration." (Michael Vincent)

Also from Michael: "Harry, you set the bar for me in terms of what was possible and the standard to reach as far as excellence is concerned."

"Lorayne is the greatest magic writer I've ever come across - don't think I'll ever find a better one." (Evan Bishop)

"Harry Lorayne's influence on how effects are written is equivalent to Shakespeare's influence on the theatre." (Gary Kosnitzky)

"No writer of magic more gifted than Harry Lorayne. There are too many card gods to count but Mr. Lorayne is 'Zeus atop Mount Olympus.'" (Panlives)

"Harry Lorayne's writings consistently enrich us. He has advanced magic, close-up magic particularly. His contributions to the art are monumental/staggering. Quite possibly the very best of all the marvelous writers in the annals of the art." (Tom Daugherty)

"Harry's style is like no-one else's. The nights I spent with his books are among my fondest magic memories. He has given me, and so many others, the encouragement to learn and progress. His knowledge and talent amaze." (David Regal)

"Harry Lorayne IS card magic!" (Chris Kavanagh)
Message: Posted by: Harry Lorayne (Jan 1, 2015 09:56AM)
Jan: That's fine/good, but my "thing" is - I didn't/don't want to preset ANYTHING. Best - HL.
Message: Posted by: Waterloophai (Jan 1, 2015 01:16PM)
[quote]On Jan 1, 2015, JanForster wrote:
I use a memorized deck and go to the bathroom to do my switch... [/quote]
With Flashdeck you have to go to the bathroom never again :-), which is also a bad thing :-).
Message: Posted by: JanForster (Jan 1, 2015 03:33PM)
:)... And just to be clear:I have never done a deck switch in the bathroom, but have practiced deck switches there as I do not have a Flashdeck and hate to waste my time ;).... Jan