(Close Window)
Topic: Building My First Illusion - advice?
I've been doing close up magic for some time now, and lately I've been playing with the idea of building my first illusion. But before I take the plunge I'd like some advice from you all.

- What illusion would you propose to a first timer? (no experience what so ever with building, so I'll probably ask the help of some friends)
- Where's the best place to get good plans? (preferably in cm)

I always wanted to do the shadowbox or crystal cage but are these perhaps to difficult for a first time?

Hope you can help! Advice/tips of any sorts are welcome!

-Jasper-
The shadow box is really not that difficult - I would stay away from the crystal casket or anything that requires a special base. There area a lot of ins-and-outs and tricks of the trade that are only learned from experience. You might want to make a prototype out of cardboard before sawing any wood. Abbotts has lots of plans for sale.

Jim
My advice?
Measure twice cut once.
Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic has several ideas.

Given that you've been doing close-up magic, why not start with some smaller illusions such as a square circle, production cabinet, mirror box or take-apart vanish box ( all are in Mark Wilson's book ). I suggest this only because these smaller items woukd make a good transition from your close-up work to slightly larger illusions, they are easy to make at relatively low cost and would get you started pretty quickly.

If you watch Modern Family, Phil showed off a homemade illusion in the season 6, episode 1 :)
The coat of arms of a small town illusionist, is a truss rampant on a van.
Mark wilson is well worth a look. Mirror boxes are good to make if you can find a good mirror cut. Or find a mirror and design around that. also a Astro cabinets is good check out http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=481845&forum=26

Have fun and enjoy
PMed you