(Close Window)
Topic: And to think a female walking in NY feels threatened
I'm sure you remember the video of the female who video taped herself walking around NY for 10 hours and how threatened she felt over all the guys saying threatening things like, "Hey baby!". I'm thinking that if she were to watch this she'd feel pretty lucky.

http://www.algemeiner.com/2015/01/22/yarmulke-clad-swedish-gentile-reporter-attacked-in-malmo-video/

Luckily, given how open a society Sweden is and how it's such a small, minuscule percentage of Muslims who aren't peace loving that this must actually be a phony video. I'm sure Snopes will be outing it shortly.
Have a female friend walk in the Israeli neighborhood of Meah Shearim in Jerusalem in a sleeveless dress and see what happens.

""Modesty" posters in Hebrew and English are hung at every entrance to Mea Shearim. When visiting the neighborhood, women and girls are urged to wear what is deemed to be modest dress (knee-length skirts or longer, no plunging necklines or midriff tops, no sleeveless blouses or bare shoulders) and tourists are requested not to arrive in large, conspicuous groups. During the Shabbat (from sunset Friday until it is completely dark on Saturday night), visitors are asked to refrain from smoking, photography, driving or use of mobile phones. When entering synagogues, men are asked to cover their heads.[6] Residents have been criticised for attacking police, and other government officials entering the area with stones, and blocking the streets, or setting fire to rubbish when they try to do so.[7] A small, violent, group called "The Sikrikim" of less than 100 families enforce censorship on bookshops, causing over 250,000NIS damage to a shop that resisted their demands.[8]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mea_Shearim
I expect to see you on the apology tour along with Fox News by next week for saying such outlandish things!
I'll tell you a funny story, rockwall.

My father was one of the founders of a little congregation that met Saturday mornings in the basement of a card club (no, not tommy's). The card club was called The One Hundred Club. Because of the name of the card club, the congregation called their synagogue Meah Shearim--the Hebrew for One Hundred Gates. Eventually that Orthodox Jewish congregation grew quite large and they were ready to build their own synagogue. The synagogue was also going to be called Meah Shearim. The rabbi, however, who had visited Israel many times, pointed out that Meah Shearim was the name of a neighborhood in Jerusalem whose residents were fanatic and sometimes violent; and despite the innocent derivation of the congregation's name, it would be better, he advised, if the congregation changed its name.

And so they did. This was about fifty years ago. So this was well known even half a century ago. And nothing has been done in Jerusalem to change it.

Selective outrage? No, just another example of how [i]fundamentalist[/i] religion is dangerous.
Interesting and sad story. The vitriol in the comment section is even more chilling than the documentary reporting.
More chilling? Hardly.
[quote]On Jan 26, 2015, rockwall wrote:
More chilling? Hardly. [/quote]

They're both highly artificial. It's difficult to say what, exactly, these highly selected and edited pieces tell us about the world. They're great for generating advertising revenue, but they are a little suspicious as journalism.

That said, I don't doubt the anti-Semitism in Malmö is real. It's very difficult to grasp scale and depth based on these kinds of clips. (And the sexism clip in the original reference as well.)

OTOH, online comments are also a contrived little world of their own too. The big difference I see is that the reactions in the video are instantaneous gut-level instances of prejudice. Written comments are planned, conscious instances; the posters do have time to reconsider, but don't.

But fair enough, rockwall. I do see why you would find the video more chilling.
Message boards are full of vitriol and nasty thoughts. Even here on the Café, where we all share a common love, msgs can be mean and demeaning.

However, few comments on a msg board will make you consider leaving your home. As reported, jews in the area around the video are afraid to send their kids out of the house and are leaving the area in large numbers. Apparently, not just there in open minded Sweden but in many parts of France as well. Yes, getting threatened in person is generally quite a bit more chilling than reading a nasty comment on a msg board.
Auschwitz 70th anniversary

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30996555

Auschwitz survivors urge the world not to allow a repeat of the crimes of the Holocaust as they mark 70 years since the death camp's liberation.
Http://www.nrg.co.il/online/1/ART2/676/485.html

Another experiment.

Jewish journalist walks through Paris wearing a tzitzit and a kippa.

"They made it clear to us that we had better get out of there, and we took their advice. "A few more minutes and this would have been a lynching," the bodyguard told me as we were getting into the car. "Leave this area right now."

Is this what life is like for Paris' Jews? Is this what a Jew goes through, day in and day out, while walking to work or using public transportation? The majority of French Jews do not flaunt their religion, as the Jewish community leaders have urged them to wear hats as they walk to and from work, or go bareheaded. But what about nighttime? Well, Jews prefers to stay inside in the evening. It is safer at home."
Ten hours of video, and those were evidently the most traumatic scenes of abuse he could get out of it? (BTW, I noticed he was walking down the middle of a street in a part of it. In some corners of the world, that will get you shot and killed.)

FWIW, here is a more comprehensive reporting of his experiment:

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-31491723

"It's impossible for us to verify Klein's video, and like other '10 hours in...' videos there has been a large amount of editing - which critics say conveys a false impression ... Although a bodyguard was trailing Klein and his secret cameraman, the abuse didn't escalate beyond the verbal. 'I did think that there might be some violence, but there was none,' he says. In fact some locals spoke out in his defence when heckled, and there was a friendly conversation as well, but these were not filmed and included in the video ... Marc Konczaty, president of MJLF, a Jewish community organisation in Paris, says he is not surprised by the video ... but he agrees with Klein's observation that it is usually confined to certain neighbourhoods in the north and east of Paris. He is keen to point out that Muslims and other minorities in the city can face similar problems."

Bonus link:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g187147-d246227-Reviews-Jewish_quarter-Paris_Ile_de_France.html
[quote]On Jan 23, 2015, landmark wrote:
Have a female friend walk in the Israeli neighborhood of Meah Shearim in Jerusalem in a sleeveless dress and see what happens.

""Modesty" posters in Hebrew and English are hung at every entrance to Mea Shearim. When visiting the neighborhood, women and girls are urged to wear what is deemed to be modest dress (knee-length skirts or longer, no plunging necklines or midriff tops, no sleeveless blouses or bare shoulders) and tourists are requested not to arrive in large, conspicuous groups. During the Shabbat (from sunset Friday until it is completely dark on Saturday night), visitors are asked to refrain from smoking, photography, driving or use of mobile phones. When entering synagogues, men are asked to cover their heads.[6] Residents have been criticised for attacking police, and other government officials entering the area with stones, and blocking the streets, or setting fire to rubbish when they try to do so.[7] A small, violent, group called "The Sikrikim" of less than 100 families enforce censorship on bookshops, causing over 250,000NIS damage to a shop that resisted their demands.[8]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mea_Shearim [/quote]
Have a woman show her face in kabul and see what happens.
(Nice try though)
Apparently the reporter has more to fear in good ol' Wisconsin:

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2015/02/thirty-madison-wisconsin-homes-spraypainted-with-anti-semitic-slurs/
[quote]On Feb 16, 2015, magicfish wrote:
[quote]On Jan 23, 2015, landmark wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mea_Shearim [/quote]
Have a woman show her face in kabul and see what happens.
(Nice try though) [/quote]
So we are agreed that such a situation is not confined to any one country, race, or religion.
No. We are not.
Http://www.providencejournal.com/article/20150215/NEWS/150219457/-1/breaking_ajax
[quote]On Feb 16, 2015, balducci wrote:
Ten hours of video, and those were evidently the most traumatic scenes of abuse he could get out of it? (BTW, I noticed he was walking down the middle of a street in a part of it. In some corners of the world, that will get you shot and killed.)

FWIW, here is a more comprehensive reporting of his experiment:

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-31491723

"It's impossible for us to verify Klein's video, and like other '10 hours in...' videos there has been a large amount of editing - which critics say conveys a false impression ... Although a bodyguard was trailing Klein and his secret cameraman, the abuse didn't escalate beyond the verbal. 'I did think that there might be some violence, but there was none,' he says. In fact some locals spoke out in his defence when heckled, and there was a friendly conversation as well, but these were not filmed and included in the video ... Marc Konczaty, president of MJLF, a Jewish community organisation in Paris, says he is not surprised by the video ... but he agrees with Klein's observation that it is usually confined to certain neighbourhoods in the north and east of Paris. He is keen to point out that Muslims and other minorities in the city can face similar problems."

Bonus link:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g187147-d246227-Reviews-Jewish_quarter-Paris_Ile_de_France.html [/quote]

My bet is that if we had a black man film a video of him walking through the streets of New York and he got similar taunts, threats, etc., that you and others here would not be quite so indifferent to it.
[quote]On Feb 17, 2015, landmark wrote:
Http://www.providencejournal.com/article/20150215/NEWS/150219457/-1/breaking_ajax [/quote]

Having a place or a home vandalized is quite different than these type of experiences. Vandalizing is usually caused by a few corrupt individuals. They go out and find the places they want to vandalize. When you can go for a walk and encounter these people all over the place, then you have a much more serious problem.

Just another one of your false equivalencies.
I apologize, clearly the vandalizing of physical property, a school, an imprison-able crime, is far less worrisome than someone's negative comments. What was I thinking?

It would be fascinating to see what the reactions would be if someone identifiable as Muslim went walking through Salt Lake City or New York City followed by a camera.
[quote]On Feb 17, 2015, rockwall wrote:
Http://www.providencejournal.com/article/20150215/NEWS/150219457/-1/breaking_ajax [/quote]

Having a place or a home vandalized is quite different than these type of experiences. Vandalizing is usually caused by a few corrupt individuals. They go out and find the places they want to vandalize. When you can go for a walk and encounter these people all over the place, then you have a much more serious problem.

Just another one of your false equivalencies. [/quote]
But that's just it, the reporter didn't encounter these people "all over the place". He said he experienced it in a small area of the city (and, judging from the video, incidents there were few and he was never physically assaulted or harmed).

Marc Konczaty, president of MJLF, a Jewish community organisation in Paris, said that Muslims and other minorities in Paris face similar problems as the Jews.

Having a place or a home vandalized is quite different than these type of experiences.[/quote]
So the reporter with the edited video was never harmed, but you are more concerned about him than the 30 families in Wisconsin, (who had anti-Semitic slurs spray painted on their homes) I posted about? I guess it is different. But I'd like to see you explain your indifference to the families in Wisconsin.
I apologize, clearly the vandalizing of physical property, a school, an imprison-able crime, is far less worrisome than someone's negative comments. What was I thinking?

It would be fascinating to see what the reactions would be if someone identifiable as Muslim went walking through Salt Lake City or New York City followed by a camera. [/quote]

Fascinating? Doubtful. More likely extremely boring. I see identifiable Muslims walking around SLC all the time with no one giving it a second thought. (You may also find it fascinating that most of the gay people I know find SLC much more welcoming than almost anywhere else they've been.) I find it hard to believe you don't have identifiable Muslims in NYC. Or are they leaving enmasse because of the threats?
[quote]On Feb 17, 2015, balducci wrote:

Having a place or a home vandalized is quite different than these type of experiences.[/quote]
So the reporter with the edited video was never harmed, but you are more concerned about him than the 30 families in Wisconsin, (who had anti-Semitic slurs spray painted on their homes) I posted about? I guess it is different. But I'd like to see you explain your indifference to the families in Wisconsin. [/quote]

You're the one wanting to characterize it as indifference. It's not.

It would be fascinating to see what the reactions would be if someone identifiable as Muslim went walking through Salt Lake City or New York City followed by a camera. [/quote]

Fascinating? Doubtful. More likely extremely boring. I see identifiable Muslims walking around SLC all the time with no one giving it a second thought. (You may also find it fascinating that most of the gay people I know find SLC much more welcoming than almost anywhere else they've been.) I find it hard to believe you don't have identifiable Muslims in NYC. Or are they leaving en masse because of the threats? [/quote]

Guess what? I see Jews walking around every day in NYC without anyone giving it a second thought. Does that prove there is no Anti-Jewish feeling in NYC?

And BTW, there [i]was[/i] an exodus of some of the Muslim community from NYC in the year following 9/11. The harassment they had to endure from many quarters was tremendous. I'll spare you the Google-d stories. I guess you are ignorant of them. I don't know if it would make any difference to you to know though.

I also come across anti-Muslim sentiment all the time in NYC. I am sure that in a scenario set up with Muslims in both NYC and SLC the same way as Jews in Paris, you'd get comparable results.
I also come across anti-Muslim sentiment all the time in NYC. I am sure that in a scenario set up with Muslims in both NYC and SLC the same way as Jews in Paris, you'd get comparable results. [/quote]

I'd take that bet in an instant. At least in SLC. I'm not as well versed in NYC. As liberal as NYC is, I'd guess you may be right. Probably a lot less tolerant there.
My joint is in the Jewellery Quarter, which is where I was brought up. It is a place with loads of small business which are all sort of interrelated and work together. There are many Jewish people among others there and there is a fantastic community spirit. The place is surrounded by districts that just haven’t got that same community spirit. There is community spirit in all places but some have move than others. I think relationships come from doing something in common. The Jewellery Quarter people are all, or mostly all, in jewellery business obviously. I don’t think talk gets you far, I rather think doing something together would be more helpful.
Don't you own a bar tommy? So .... your joint doesn't actually sell jewelry, does it? Maybe fence it?

OK, wheres the 'pulling your leg' emoticon down below???
Love when the right manages to fit anti-woman and anti-Islam into the same story. Saves the satirists the time of making jokes of them ;)
[quote]On Feb 17, 2015, critter wrote:
Love when the right manages to fit anti-woman and anti-Islam into the same story. Saves the satirists the time of making jokes of them ;) [/quote]

Ah. So you think the horrible taunts the lady endured is much more worrisome than what the Jews experienced. I guess we could say that you gotta love it when the left is able to thread in a war on women theme while being anti-Semitic at the same time.
A quick google says SLC maybe relatively better than a lot of the nation in some respects but still has some issues, not entirely Kumbaya:
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/645199944/Muslims-in-Utah-see-little-911-backlash.html?pg=all
Ooo, wow! There might be 'some' issues!! Stop the presses! Who knew?!?! And all this time I thought we had already achieved Nirvana. How could I have been so wrong!!
The point is that Muslims have reason to feel unsafe even in SLC, contrary to what you implied.
The Muslim Brotherhood (MB) was founded by fundamentalist Egyptian school teacher, Hasan al Banna in 1928. He advocated violent Jihad and the replacement of secular governments with a worldwide totalitarian Caliphate governed under strict Islamic Shariah law. Banna became a devotee of Adolf Hitler, who was himself an admirer of Islam and militarist Jihad conquest. Despite Banna’s assassination by Egyptian authorities under King Farouk in 1949, the MB succeeded in establishing branches throughout the Middle East, such as Hamas in Gaza and the West Bank, Jordan and Syria. There are even branches in Europe and America. The Hamas Charter of 1988 seeks the obliteration of the Jewish State of Israel. Among MB fronts in the US are:

Council of American Islamic Relations;
Islamic Society of North America;
Islamic Circle of North America;
Muslim Students Association;
Muslim American Society;
International Institute for Islamic Thought; and,
Muslim Public Affairs Council.
These MB fronts were identified as unindicted co-conspirators in the Federal Holy Land Foundation trial with convictions in 2008, involving the funneling of upwards of $36 million to Palestinian MB affiliate Hamas in Gaza. Uncovered in the HLF trial was a 1991 strategy plan of the MB in the US to overthrow our Constitution and form of government via ‘stealth Jihad’ and replacing it with a Shariah–ruled Caliphate.

http://www.newenglishreview.org/Jerry_Gordon/How_the_CIA_Helped_The_Muslim_Brotherhood_Infiltrate_the_West/

The Muslin Brotherhood are not the only problem but so long as the Muslin Brotherhood is around there is going to be a problem and not only for Jewish people but also for Muslims and everybody. Under the cloak of these benign fronts the Muslin Brotherhood radicalize Muslims. The radicalized useful idiots cause trouble and then all Muslin get tarred with the same brush. Everybody has reasons to feel unsafe and the Muslin Brotherhood is one of them is it not?
[quote]On Feb 19, 2015, tommy wrote:
Everybody has reasons to feel unsafe and the Muslin Brotherhood is one of them is it not? [/quote]

are you saying the MB is one of them to feel unsafe?
The Muslin Brotherhood organisation is a threat to stability everywhere. The financial crisis. which is on-going, means there are vast numbers broke on the streets. The natives are restless and easy meat for instigators and provocateurs, the Muslin Brotherhood radicalize useful idiots. The Muslin Brotherhood themselves ought to be thrown out. However it is very difficult to do because they hide behind these fronts that contain good people. I am sure you know how fronts and such work. On top of that we have the fact that our intelligence services use the Muslin Brotherhood also.

There are not only two sides to a coin; There is always the edge, not to mention the inside.
You shouldn't call someone idiots for what they.......... nar, called them what you will.
Whats your solution then?
Useful idiot

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Useful_idiot

I advise not joining any groups for a start because you don't know what you are getting in into.
Verified 100 executions" of foreign ISIS fighters trying to leave the jihadist group's de facto capital. - See more at: http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Middle-East/2014/Dec-20/281773-isis-has-executed-100-foreigners-trying-to-quit-report.ashx#sthash.3QHcK677.dpuf
[quote]On Feb 18, 2015, landmark wrote:
The point is that Muslims have reason to feel unsafe even in SLC, contrary to what you implied. [/quote]

Oh, so THAT's what you were trying to imply. Well, from reading the article that's quite a stretch but more power to you.
It may be that school desecration and restaurant burnings would not bother you if it happened to your kinship group, but it's good to allow that others may feel differently.
Within the inner temple in the land of magic it is written that a father never gives his son bad advice. It is what we call a truism and based on the notion that a father loves his flesh and blood so wouldn’t give his son bad advice deliberately. It is where the idea that one ought to respect ones parents comes from. When we were children didn’t our fathers tell us to think for ourselves? What are groups but gangs, gangs with leaders, leaders that think for you? The gang tends to have a list of things which is the agenda supposedly. Now if you are a member of the gang you cannot pick and choose from the things on the list. . No, no, you cannot be for this bit and not for that bit, you have to be for the whole list of things you see. Also the leaders have their secret agendas of course, thus you don’t know what it’s all about really anyway. So why would anyone join the gang? Well young folk are not old and wiser but simple minded folk who are given very simple propaganda and so sign up with gang. You will see they go for young normally. Anyway these people in gangs and groups are just gangs tend to have what I call a gang mind set: The other gang is not in our gang and they all same. All them Jews they are all the same and all them Muslims they are all same and so on, so the gangs think. We got big gangs and little and gangs within gangs. We got the West gang and East gang, the English and Irish gang and the French connection and my gang and your gang.

Such is life.

:pirate:
[quote]On Feb 19, 2015, landmark wrote:
It may be that school desecration and restaurant burnings would not bother you if it happened to your kinship group, but it's good to allow that others may feel differently. [/quote]

As long as we realize we're talking about something that happened 15 years ago. So, no, I don't think anyone is afraid for their life because of a business that was burned 15 years ago. As Lobo would say, but your mileage may very. Like I said. Quite a stretch. But you've learned from the best. Kinda like comparing the modern ISIS attacks with the Crusades.
Within the inner temple in the land of magic it is written that a father never gives his son bad advice. It is what we call a truism and based on the notion that a father loves his flesh and blood so wouldn’t give his son bad advice deliberately. It is where the idea that one ought to respect ones parents comes from. When we were children didn’t our fathers tell us to think for ourselves? What are groups but gangs, gangs with leaders, leaders that think for you? The gang tends to have a list of things which is the agenda supposedly. Now if you are a member of the gang you cannot pick and choose from the things on the list. . No, no, you cannot be for this bit and not for that bit, you have to be for the whole list of things you see. Also the leaders have their secret agendas of course, thus you don’t know what it’s all about really anyway. So why would anyone join the gang? Well young folk are not old and wiser but simple minded folk who are given very simple propaganda and so sign up with gang. You will see they go for young normally. Anyway these people in gangs and groups are just gangs tend to have what I call a gang mind set: The other gang is not in our gang and they all same. All them Jews they are all the same and all them Muslims they are all same and so on, so the gangs think. We got big gangs and little and gangs within gangs. We got the West gang and East gang, the English and Irish gang and the French connection and my gang and your gang.

Such is life.

:pirate: [/quote]

Such is life as it is was. But it's changing.

The question is will it change fast enough?
The Muslin Brotherhood ... [/quote]
Are they Madras-Linenists...?

Such is life.

:pirate: [/quote]
you are right Tommy, there are certainly gang metality every where and people who should be thinking for themselves are just following the leaders. I was PMing a kid here who is only 15 and he is already reciting line from his leader teaching. The only people he will be able to run with will be other who talk and think the same.

The change is too slow
I think, I do not know but I think, the leadership of the Muslim Brotherhood are akin to the leadership of the Nazis or the elite. I mean; I think what they say they believe is mere propaganda. I do not think the leaders believe anything really. Belief to them, I think, is a tool to be used to gain control more or less. It is business not personal Kay. I do not think it matters what they believe anyway. I think what really matters are the actions. Their actions lead to people breaking the law. The law is important. The laws apply to all gangs and their members. The law all we have. Breaking the law is one thing allowing bodies to get away with it is quite another. When a country commits a war crime and is allowed to get away with it then, as my mother used to say, “There is no peace for the wicked.” :rolleyes:
I think the worst part about all of this is that 'they will happily die for there cause'.

So it doesn't matter about any laws are out there, there is such a mob mentality, it won't be stopped.

I wish that the allies would fight this will more propaganda like the English did to the German's in the second world war.

I haven't seen any but I hope there is some Anti ISIS youtube stuff from the Top.

Let the world know what "uptight virgins guys these ISIS members are'.