(Close Window)
Topic: Where to sell a magic trick?
Hi everyone I'm rather new to magic but I've created a magic trick and would like to sell it.. which website is best to try?
Before you can sell it you need to research and see if it's already been created, most have.
Then you need to research crediting moves etc.
not an easy task, you just can't think you created something and sell it to Magi.
You'll hear more from others about this...
not many people create original effects

If you really did create an original effect...congrats, but really you need to do some extra serious research before making such a statment.
Ok, you have created a magic trick. Cool!

But...

How many times have you performed it?
What was the audience reaction?

I've had a great idea for a prediction in a (non-gimmicked) brand-new sealed bottle of water for years. My idea looks great on paper, but I've never performed it in front of an audience. Therefore, I can't measure it's true impact and value.

If you are "rather new" to magic, then you should master your creation and perform it to audiences for a while, before trying to sell it.

Brian
Thanks guys, well my trick uses little effects which other people have created I'm sure but the big effect itself hasn't been created as far as I know
A well performed TRICK, produces an EFFECT. The EFFECT IS what the spectator SEES, or, THINKS that he SEES.

At least, use the proper nomenclature!

Note: cf. Fitzkee's "SHOWMANSHIP FOR MAGICIANS". Learn what various EFFECTS are possible!
I admit grammar was never my strong suit hehe but the difference seems to be quite subtle especially if the trick is done bluntly in front of the spectator and he doesn't realise so the trick and effect would be the same thing then would you call it a trick or an effect?
Sorry, but I was unable to completely decypher that "run on" sentence.

From what I could understand, you seem to I think that a trick and an effect are the same thing. I can't imagine what sort of reasoning you used to reach that conclusion.

I will repeat: The magician PERFORMS a TRICK. The spectator sees "something" that deceives him and/or entertains him. THAT is called the EFFECT.

Read: Fitzkee "Showmanship for Magicians"! Read Ken Weber's "Maximum Entertainment"! Read Henning Nelms "Magic and Showmanship"! Read Maskelynne & Devant's "Our Magic"!

Perhaps you should take a remedial course in rhetoric and grammar. To be an entertainer, you must be able to communicate with the audience.

Best Wishes, and, Good Luck!
Welcome, magicalmoi.
Some good advice is in there. Some more blunt then others. Don't be discouraged. Do the research and perforemance test your creation. You didn't give any hint as to what the effect is or what it involves, ie. cards, coins etc. Is the efect a Vanish or an apperance? Is it a levitation? We don't know. More information is needed, so that we can help you. Good luck on your quest.
Keith Shazam
[quote]On Feb 6, 2015, Kbuck54 wrote:
Welcome, magicalmoi.
Some good advice is in there. Some more blunt then others. Don't be discouraged. Do the research and perforemance test your creation. You didn't give any hint as to what the effect is or what it involves, ie. cards, coins etc. Is the efect a Vanish or an apperance? Is it a levitation? We don't know. More information is needed, so that we can help you. Good luck on your quest.
Keith Shazam [/quote]
thank you for your encouragement :)
[quote]On Feb 6, 2015, Dick Oslund wrote:
Sorry, but I was unable to completely decypher that "run on" sentence.

From what I could understand, you seem to I think that a trick and an effect are the same thing. I can't imagine what sort of reasoning you used to reach that conclusion.

I will repeat: The magician PERFORMS a TRICK. The spectator sees "something" that deceives him and/or entertains him. THAT is called the EFFECT.

Read: Fitzkee "Showmanship for Magicians"! Read Ken Weber's "Maximum Entertainment"! Read Henning Nelms "Magic and Showmanship"! Read Maskelynne & Devant's "Our Magic"!

Perhaps you should take a remedial course in rhetoric and grammar. To be an entertainer, you must be able to communicate with the audience.

Best Wishes, and, Good Luck! [/quote]

I live in a country where people don't speak english much so I won't be entertaining in english..
I don't know of any language that does not have some rules of grammar, and rhetoric. Words do have meaning in any language.

See paragraph #4 of my post above.
I think I get it. I will PM you when the trick (did I use the correct word?) gets published hopefully :)
Good!

Technically speaking, you'll be selling a PROP and a SECRET. The TRICK exists while it is being performed. However, through years of using the word TRICK, it has become "somewhat" acceptable.

I wish you well in selling your invention!
[quote]On Feb 7, 2015, Dick Oslund wrote:

I wish you well in selling your [b]invention[/b]! [/quote]

Technically, he can't be selling an invention, since he stated "[i]my trick uses little effects which other people have created[/i]."

:)
Yes!, I agree. I just decided that it was not worth the effort.

I should have put " " around the word, "invention".
Yes!, I agree. I just decided that it was not worth the effort.

I should have put " " around the word, "invention".
[quote]On Feb 8, 2015, Dick Oslund wrote:

I should have put " " around the word, "invention". [/quote]

You should not have put a comma (,) before "invention"? Why pause?
Well, when, I, unpacked, this, "infernal electrisch peckenclacker", there, was, an. oversupply, of, commas, included,. So, I, include, them, at, no, additional, charge,

Besides, I, wanted, to, set, off, the, word, "invention", which, is, my, prerogative, as, the, writer,. The, recipient, may, delete, any, or, all, of, those, commas, if, he, desires, to,. (There, I,even, included,a,"Charlie, Miller,! (I, ended, that, sentence, with, a, PREPOSITION,!) Charlie, Miller, who, was, a, strict, grammarian, gave, me, "carte, blanche," to, do, that, any, time, I, wish, to,. He, even, gave, Winston, Churchill, Prime, Minister, Of England, special, permission, to, use, a, preposition, to, end, a, sentence, with, mainly because, Churchill, in, the, interest, of, using, the "Queen's, English", properly, had, stated, that, using, a, preposition, to, end, a, sentence, (with), was, something, "Up, with, which, I, shall, not,put,!"

So,! as, Rhett, Butler, said, to, Scarlett, O'Hara, in,"GONE, WITH, THE, WIND,": Frankly, Scarlett, "I, don't, give, a, d--m,!

Yours, 'til, the, square, circle, is, empty,

Dick,

P.,S., Pleae, find, enclosed, some extra, ",s",. I, have, an, ample, supply, (,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,)
I think we all know, who the dangleing participle is in this conversation.
Do any of your spectators survive your show?
[quote]On Feb 8, 2015, magicalmoi wrote:

Do any of your spectators survive your show? [/quote]

This is directed to?

If it to Dick Oslund, methinks you should read and learn.

You are not going to win friends insulting people.
Amusing... Ok, this guy doesn't know Dick from Adam's house cat, so I can forgive him for not understanding that he is communicating with one of /the/ best magicians in the world. He doesn't understand what Dick is trying to get across to him, nor does he understand the humor. /We/ know who dick is, what he has accomplished in his life, and how he is-- but don't expect the newbies to, especially those from another country where English isn't spoken natively. Hell, nobody speaks English around where /I/ live correctly either :)

Dick (and I mean no disrespect here), can be crotchety, doesn't suffer fools well, and he certainly demands that terminology be used correctly. Look over that for a moment and read every word he writes... soak in the words, understand what it is he is trying to get across. He will teach you to be a better and more entertaining magician, if you let him! His words are golden. The things Dick can teach you aren't in books or on DVDs. Dick has learned the hard way how to make money in $how bu$ine$$.

Here is little story I heard from somewhere... Dick once asked a group of magicians if they had a show to perform and an extra $1000, what they would spend it on... Everyone of them told how they would buy new ticks or build a show using the money... one guy even said he would use it to build a new huge stage illusion to close with. Dick told them all that they would do better to spend it all on promotion and advertising! They should already have a working show and if they didn't already have a working show complete all the props and necessaries they needed, then they didn't need to be performing at all! Blunt, but true. I would say eye opening. Makes you think about what you are doing and trying to accomplish in a whole new light.

We are blessed to have Dick here with us! He is a mentor of mine (whether he likes it or not! haha). I hope I can meet him in person some day.
[quote]On Feb 8, 2015, Kabbalah wrote:

This is directed to?

You are not going to win friends insulting people. [/quote]

I think it's clear that I am not insulting Dick Oslund but to clarify: just like he joked that when he replied to my newbie post, he had "unpacked, this, "infernal electrisch peckenclacker"" I don't know what that means but I think he said that I look like new to magic, which I am (sorry for not know who dick oslund is) I replied to the joke, how do the spectators survive his show if he fills them with commas... I don't know whats insulting in that!!
[quote]On Feb 9, 2015, magicalmoi wrote:
[quote]On Feb 8, 2015, Kabbalah wrote:

This is directed to?

You are not going to win friends insulting people. [/quote]

I think it's clear that I am not insulting Dick Oslund but to clarify: just like he joked that when he replied to my newbie post, he had "unpacked, this, "infernal electrisch peckenclacker"" I don't know what that means but I think he said that I look like new to magic, which I am (sorry for not know who dick oslund is) I replied to the joke, how do the spectators survive his show if he fills them with commas... I don't know whats insulting in that!! [/quote]

Different styles of humor clash and neither one is getting the jokes of the other... Bewilderment ensues. infernal electrisch peckenclacker = Faux German for Hellish Electric Typewriter-like Thing or basically his computer. You corrected his use of a comma so as a joke he filled his next post with commas.

I can assure you of Dick's credentials ... He has probably performed more school magic shows than anyone, and he has booked shows as well. He was also a smoother who would go into a territory that had been laid to waste by terrible magicians and show the schools how great a magician can actually be to get them to keep using the booking agency he worked for. He has forgotten more about magic, how to perform, and how to entertain than most of us will ever know or learn in our entire lifetime. He has lectured to the greats. He has performed and lectured at the Magic Castle. He mentored many a professional magician that is making good money today. He will tell you that he can't teach you anything, but that is a load of bunk. He /CAN/ and will teach you loads, but he can't learn it for you! You have to do all the learning and hard work yourself, based upon what he presents. It requires an open mind and a willingness to learn though.

Look up his posts. He is very kind and willing to part with his knowledge to the point of repeating himself over and over with new magicians. He gets frustrated and upset with those who are unwilling to listen to him or who just don't "get it." He is very delighted with the seeming few that do "get it." He peppers his posts with old carny language, which I love. He is a stickler for using the correct terminology for things... for instance a Thumb Tip is feke not a prop or gimmick. It has become popular to refer to magic tricks as effects these days and that bugs him to the point that he will write a wall of post explaining the difference between a trick, the effect, and the magic itself which exists only in the mind of the spectator. People run around calling the gimmicks, fekes, props, and books filled with secrets, magic, and he will tell you that neither you or nor anyone else /owns/ any magic. If you listen to him and understand the points he is getting to, it can be a paradigm shift in the way you view your performances and the art itself.
Magimoi, I believe that Mr. Oslund used the phrase "infernal electrisch peckenclacker" to refer to his computer, saying that it came supplied with too many commas, and this is the reason he uses them generously.
Dick Oslund Featured For Life in Magic

01c1004_1
The Escanaba (MI) Daily Press has a great profile of Dick Oslund and his long career in magic.

He began as a mere child, loved it so much, he got hooked and it went from a hobby to a full-time and a lifelong, satisfying career.

By the time Oslund was in high school, he began utilizing his hobby at area functions. "All my friends were earning a few bucks bagging groceries and I was making $25 a night performing magic," he said. "All through high school it was a paying hobby."

"I never cashed a Navy paycheck in four years," he said. Why is that? Did he lose his driver's license? No, he didn't need to cash the checks. He was making some great money performing around the bases.

His travel with the Navy also exposed him to magicians and their clubs around the country. While stationed at Norfolk, Va., Oslund joined a local magicians' club and again performed at local functions. "I had my whole show in a cigar box and got $20 to $25 for a performance," he said. "That was pretty good money in those days."

When he left the Navy, he entered into his new life and new career as a full-time magician. Chicago became his base. "It was great," he said. "I got to travel and see the world and got paid doing it. I got to the place where I didn't have to look for work - they called me."

Mr. Oslund has traveled around the world and throughout the United States performing at trade show, fairs and school assemblies. He officially retired from his craft in 2003 and makes his home in Escanaba during the summer months and spends the winter months in Florida.

He continues to volunteer with the Boy Scouts, Mr. Oslund -- a connection he has enjoyed for the last 55 years.

He has not retired.

"You might say I've only slowed down a little," he said. "I can't quit this. I'm having too much fun."

magic news
魔术
마술
マジック
magic
Thanks for that Kbuck54. Even though I'm a newbie -- a really old newbie, I'll add -- Mr. Oslund and I have already had a brief instructive interaction for which I'm entirely grateful.

Does anyone know where one can find Mr. Oslund perfroming online or DVD. I've never had the chance to see him at work.
Hard to find BeThePlunk. You might want to start here:
http://oslund.weebly.com/
Oh my!

My sincere thanks to all of you, for your votes of confidence".

I have met, become acquainted with, and, yes, become friends, with a "bunch" of magicians in the past couple of years.

When I was breaking in the business, a number of fine old pro's. mentored and guided me, and thereby helped me to be a success in the area of the business that I love(d). Therefore, I feel obligated to "pass it along".

I do occasionally get a little impatient, but, I try not to be. (I don't always succeed!-- HUMANUM ERRARE EST!),

Thanks, again. for your very kind thoughts.

P.S. Friend Pradell! Norm Barnhart, who set up (correct term?) that (heqq, I can't think of the proper term for what he wrote in that "htttp:// thing!). Norm gets "enthusiastic". He first saw my program in Minnesota when he was in high school. (Now, he's about 50!) and is quite successful performing.

When I came on "this show", two years ago, I received PM's from fellows who had only seen my program, and PM's from fellows whom I had mentored, years ago. I had to go out and buy a new (bigger) hat, when I read their letters! Mr, Bill, Kabbalah, Plunk, KBuck, pradell! -- you are causing me to go hat shopping, again!

Dick
Dick, it's always a pleasure to hear what you have to say my friend.

Magically

Aus
Bien oui, mon ami (Dick) Richard. I always love to read your posts. The infamous "infernal electrisch peckenclacker" has been around for a long time. It is now even in the form of "Dick Tracy" watches. Much smaller, but you need good eyes to uncover the message. Beam me up Scotty.

Ray
Most magicians are going to be skeptical of buying a magic prop or routine from someone new to magic. It takes time and many performances to refine the product and ensure its usefulness and entertainment value. Until you have put in that time as well as time to research the actual newness of your creation, people will be hesitant about what you are wanting to provide the magic community. Producing a new magic product is a challenge for even a seasoned magician, as most magicians are not magic creators. Creating quality magic routines from existing products takes a lot of work. Until you have learned how to entertain an audience by creating magic through your performance, then it will be very difficult to develop a product to be used for that purpose.

I think people are trying to point out that, even if you have come up with a great idea, you may still have a long road ahead in turning that product into a quality performance piece. Most of us have bought magic "tricks" that were good ideas, but ended up discarding them because the creator had not taken the time to properly refine them or the effort to provide the proper quality. I am not trying to discourage your efforts, but simply encouraging you to take the time to read the books suggested above about learning to entertain (the most overlooked aspect of magic by new magicians, including me), and then apply that to many performances of your creation. Then after refining your product you may discover that it was not as good as you thought, or you may discover that you have now transformed it into something great. Remember that whatever you have created is not magic, it is simply a tool that can be used to create magic in a performance. Can your creation help me create a magical moment for an audience? I don't want to just show an audience something that will surprise them, something they cannot figure out. I want them to be entertained and amazed. I want them to, for a brief moment before their brain overrules them, actually believe magic is real. And I want them to have such an enjoyable experience that they feel no disappointment when they remember that it was only an illusion. If you can provide me with a tool to help me accomplish that, then you have my attention. If not, then you have more work to do. Good luck.
[quote]On Feb 11, 2015, wwhokie1 wrote:
Most magicians are going to be skeptical of buying a magic prop or routine from someone new to magic. It takes time and many performances to refine the product and ensure its usefulness and entertainment value. Until you have put in that time as well as time to research the actual newness of your creation, people will be hesitant about what you are wanting to provide the magic community. Producing a new magic product is a challenge for even a seasoned magician, as most magicians are not magic creators. Creating quality magic routines from existing products takes a lot of work. Until you have learned how to entertain an audience by creating magic through your performance, then it will be very difficult to develop a product to be used for that purpose.

I think people are trying to point out that, even if you have come up with a great idea, you may still have a long road ahead in turning that product into a quality performance piece. Most of us have bought magic "tricks" that were good ideas, but ended up discarding them because the creator had not taken the time to properly refine them or the effort to provide the proper quality. I am not trying to discourage your efforts, but simply encouraging you to take the time to read the books suggested above about learning to entertain (the most overlooked aspect of magic by new magicians, including me), and then apply that to many performances of your creation. Then after refining your product you may discover that it was not as good as you thought, or you may discover that you have now transformed it into something great. Remember that whatever you have created is not magic, it is simply a tool that can be used to create magic in a performance. Can your creation help me create a magical moment for an audience? I don't want to just show an audience something that will surprise them, something they cannot figure out. I want them to be entertained and amazed. I want them to, for a brief moment before their brain overrules them, actually believe magic is real. And I want them to have such an enjoyable experience that they feel no disappointment when they remember that it was only an illusion. If you can provide me with a tool to help me accomplish that, then you have my attention. If not, then you have more work to do. Good luck. [/quote]

Agreed. thank you for your honest help
[quote]On Feb 7, 2015, Kabbalah wrote:

Technically, he can't be selling an invention, since he stated "[i]my trick uses little effects which other people have created[/i]."

:) [/quote]

Just my two cents: I took this to mean that the trick does not rely / is not based (at least not heavily based) on effects created by others. It's obvious that English isn't the writer's first language here. And while I always read Mr. Oslund's posts with great interest and have learned more from him than from anyone else on the board (not to slight other great contributors, from whom I've also learned a lot), I personally tend to be more forgiving towards English mistakes by non-native speakers here. I post on many a foreign language board and know my French, German, Russian and Korean are far from perfect, but the people on those boards are quite forgiving towards me and that keeps me coming back.

Expecting correct English from a native speaker is not in any way unreasonable, but from people who speak it as a second or third language? I'm not so sure that's a standard I'd enforce so strictly if the message is understood, which I believe in this case it was. I personally would rather see lots more foreign enthusiasts of magic who make the occasional mistake here or there than limit the board to only those who can score at least 600 on the English portion of the SAT.

Again, just my two cents, no disrespect intended towards anyone, and no offense taken from those who disagree. I know I'm still new here.
[quote]On Feb 11, 2015, RogerTheShrubber wrote:
[quote]On Feb 7, 2015, Kabbalah wrote:

:) [/quote]

Just my two cents: I took this to mean that the trick does not rely / is not based (at least not heavily based) on effects created by others. It's obvious that English isn't the writer's first language here. And while I always read Mr. Oslund's posts with great interest and have learned more from him than from anyone else on the board (not to slight other great contributors, from whom I've also learned a lot), I personally tend to be more forgiving towards English mistakes by non-native speakers here. I post on many a foreign language board and know my French, German, Russian and Korean are far from perfect, but the people on those boards are quite forgiving towards me and that keeps me coming back.

Expecting correct English from a native speaker is not in any way unreasonable, but from people who speak it as a second or third language? I'm not so sure that's a standard I'd enforce so strictly if the message is understood, which I believe in this case it was. I personally would rather see lots more foreign enthusiasts of magic who make the occasional mistake here or there than limit the board to only those who can score at least 600 on the English portion of the SAT.

Again, just my two cents, no disrespect intended towards anyone, and no offense taken from those who disagree. I know I'm still new here. [/quote]

Thank you for expressing what I wanted to say, in greater english
:)