(Close Window)
Topic: Blank deck routines.
Anyone out there doing work with a blank deck? I love Gregory Wilsons routine, I do it at a nightclub... It KILLS! I am looking for more ideas to add to it or do in conjunction with it.
Dean Dills Blizzard is another Good blank deck routine !!
[quote]On Feb 20, 2015, Midwestmagic wrote:
Dean Dills Blizzard is another Good blank deck routine !! [/quote]
Thanks! I will check that one out. you think it could work with Gregs, or in place of? Could I do the both to the same spectator is what I am asking... I guess I can just go find out for myself... But its fun to get other peoples thoughts....
I would probably not do them both to the same person since the Blizzard uses a deck switch !
[quote]On Feb 20, 2015, Midwestmagic wrote:
I would probably not do them both to the same person since the Blizzard uses a deck switch ! [/quote]

Ok so it doesn't use a double blank deck, just blank faces. that's kind of cool, could be a nice transition into Greg's... Make the faces go blank except the card they thought of... Then second switch and the back are blank as well.... Then go into it. In the stand up act I am working on right now, I open with the blank deck set, then have someone call out a card and boom that's the only card that's in the deck printed, then boom the whole deck is a normal deck. Moving into stabbed N' Shot.... As a way to end the card set.
So its like that just in reverse which is interesting.
Craig Petty's "Blank" DVD has several routines with blank cards.
"I Dream of Mindreading" by John Lovick. Like Blizzard, you must do it first for the sake of surprise.
Drawing a Blank from Counting On Deception
and Drawing a Blank II from the upcoming new book Magica Analytica II
Mental Photography- Harry Lorayne
Blank Thought- Ed Marlo
John Guastaferro's Truth in Advertising is a superb effect as is Doomo's (Tony Miller) Colossal Blizzard
I'd like to second Truth in Advertising. Great reactions, you end clean, and can go right into your set!
There's "White Memory" on Adam Wilber's "The Working Man"
I watched Suzanne's ambitious card routine on youtube. Quite entertaining, and with a blank deck.

P!
Draw a Blank by Aldo Colombini is excellent.
Joshua Jay has a nice presentation for Lovick's "I Dream of Mindreading" that is worth a look. Now on the recommendations above I'm off to check out Truth in Advertising again.
I personally prefer JohnG's optical opener than Truth in Advertising
and his Gemini Prediction is my favorite closer for my blank deck routine
I can't remember the name of it but Jay Sankey has a routine very similar to Blizzard but it uses a VERY old but deceptive !@#$* instead of a DS. It's a cool method and one that made me think "da***t, I've been using that !@#$* for years, why didn't I think of that in the context of a Blizzard type effect?"
I dream of Mindreading by John Lovick is incredibly strong.
WOW, I never imagined there would be so many awesome ideas! You guys are all A++
The only problem now is I am totally re thinking my entire opening set! Oh jeez!
Do we know the name of Sankey's? Anyone?
"Fade Away" and you will find it on his 22 Blows To The Head DVD. He also sold it under the name Brainwash.
[quote]On Mar 1, 2015, magico wrote:
"Fade Away" and you will find it on his 22 Blows To The Head DVD. He also sold it under the name Brainwash. [/quote]

And also in The Definitive Sankey, volume 3, pp. 1421-1423 as Fade Away. Again, I've used the ***** for YEARS but never thought of using it for a Blizzard type effect. I may not agree with some of Sankey's marketing tactics but there is no denying that he has created soe amazingly innovative magic as well as dusting very old methods and applying them in compelling ways.

Thanks Magico! I couldn't remember the name of the routine but I knew I had it somewhere!

Best,
Vlad
Blank Ambition . Card Corner . Linking Ring Magazine 1992
A little different than what you may be after, but in Tyler Wilson's book "Dominatricks", he includes something called the Fade Change by Jack Parker in the left-handed edition, that is a crazy visual way of vanishing all the ink off the face card of the deck. You could either be working with a blank deck behind the face card, or do a reverse thumb fan to reveal a "blank deck" :)
[quote]On Mar 6, 2015, magikyle wrote:
A little different than what you may be after, but in Tyler Wilson's book "Dominatricks", he includes something called the Fade Change by Jack Parker in the left-handed edition, that is a crazy visual way of vanishing all the ink off the face card of the deck. You could either be working with a blank deck behind the face card, or do a reverse thumb fan to reveal a "blank deck" :) [/quote]

This sounds promising for walk around... I really like it! Thanks man! So many freaking ideas! My fingers hurt from trying them out!
I would like to add [url=https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=695096&forum=218&start=0]Kyle Purnell's Blank Inside[/url] to this list of blank deck tricks.

Blank inside, [url=https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/card-magic-downloads/blank-inside/]released by Vanishing Inc.[/url], is a "...blizzard type effect that has no deck switch, gimmicks, or equivoque", can be done strolling, and ends clean, with a strong 1+2 finish that I doubt anyone will see coming.

I like that this effect gives me options to go along with [url=https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/card-magic/alpha-deck-richard-sanders/]Sanders Alpha Deck[/url], which is [url=https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=651401&forum=218]another trick[/url] that should be added to this list.
On November 1, 2007 I posted The Bizarre Blanks on the Perverse Magic thread of the Genii Forum (page 117 of Gerald Deutsch's Perverse Magic: The First Sixteen Years) where after performing a few card effects the magician has a woman select a card and then, using an eyeglass cleaner pressed against the woman's finger and tells her the name of her card.

Then when he looks for her card he finds to his surprise and confusion that the entire deck is now blank.
Message: Posted by: iamoneamongeleven (Jun 25, 2019 01:59AM)
One of my absolute favorite blank deck routines is Jon Allenís ďRule of threeĒ. I have residencies at various establishments 7 days a week and have been using rule of three in my set for the past 4 years. I literally just purchased my first replacement deck last weekend( so you know it holds up).

BUT....................... to give variety,

I will add that if Iím not using Rule of Three as my blank deck routine, my go to substitute is Anthony Millerís ď Colossal BlizzardĒ

After rocking with both of these routines for the past several years, I can confidently say they have my stamp of approval.
Trost on Matching the Cards
My favorite blank deck effects:

Great Triumph by Shoot Ogawa
Shootin' Blanks by Michael O'Brien
What the Blank by Shoot Ogawa
Drawing a Blank by Michael O'Brien
3 Blank Monte by Jon Armstrong
Chicago Closer by Michael O'Brien
Blank Ambitious Card Routine by Suzanne
Mental Photography as performed by Bill Malone
[quote]On Jul 4, 2019, obrienmagic wrote:

Mental Photography as performed by Bill Malone [/quote]

Suzanneís Blank Ambition and Gregory Wilsonís Name Tag routine(s) are based on my Blank Ambition routine that was published in Ruminations Magazine vol1 #5 1986. You might want to track that down, or look for it in John Bannonís Card Corner Column in The Linking Ring.
[quote]On Jul 5, 2019, corpmagi wrote:
[quote]On Jul 4, 2019, obrienmagic wrote:

Mental Photography as performed by Bill Malone [/quote]

Suzanneís Blank Ambition and Gregory Wilsonís Name Tag routine(s) are based on my Blank Ambition routine that was published in Ruminations Magazine vol1 #5 1986. You might want to track that down, or look for it in John Bannonís Card Corner Column in The Linking Ring. [/quote]

That sounds great! Very helpful thank you!