(Close Window)
Topic: Dye Tube for the street
Thinking of doing the Dye tube on the street any recommendations on what tube to buy and routine
You might want to consider making your own and learning several routines before buying anything. In that case, I recommend two e-Books from The Magic Nook's Dollar Store Book 2- the first on color changing silks and their gimmicks, and the second on dye tubes and their gimmicks. Color changing silks are generally performed by passing a silk through bare hands while changing the color of the silk(s). Dye tubes are generally made by rolling up a sheet of paper into a tube and passing several silks through the paper tube to change their colors.

You can also learn the methods from other sources, like the Rice Encyclopedia of Silk Magic, Tarbell, Mark Wilson, et al, but those sources all assume you will be buying metal gimmicks from magic shops rather than making your own from Dollar Store materials.
I use the patrick page routine with a palmo gimmick and 18" silks.
I really like the Palmo.
Works great for 18" silks and no divider.

There are lots of routines available. I do a color changing silk routine with it.
You can also do a half-dyed hank routine with it.

Duane Laflin has some handlings and thoughts on the palmo. You can see a nice handling of the prop here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl4HmU5Mz-Y

Pop Haydn has an entertaining color changing hank routine as well. Not sure if he uses the palmo or not
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-skt9Wo6XSQ
Norm Barnhart, a children's magician, has a very clever handling using a TT and 2 silks. In his routine, he starts with both silks in the TT (I believe they are 9 inch ones), magically produces one from the TT, then causes it change color, then makes it vanish (into the TT). However you could do a straight forward color change from one color to the other and back, or not. There's no re-set--after each change, one silk is tucked away inside the TT and one is on display. Norm's routine can be found on his DVD called "Cool Magic for Kids," which is a collection of his professional kid-show routines. A TT is smaller and easier to conceal than either a dye-tube, palmo or hank ball. Norm's handling lends itself well to street performing.
[quote]On Mar 19, 2015, ROBERT BLAKE wrote:
I use the patrick page routine with a palmo gimmick and 18" silks. [/quote]

I do the same and have done for a while. A great edge builder.
I like Joe Porper's tube.
Most ANY gimac (I know that's spelled wrong, but, it pleases me!) will do the job. It's more a matter of personal preference. I developed my own routine, and, I've been using the basic d*e t*b* since 1947. (Well, I have worn out a few!)

Some fellows like the Rice PALMO, Some prefer the old standard tube. DE GUSTIBUS NON EST DISPUTANDUM! (One can't argue over tastes!)

Johnson, if they're still in business, make a nice tube. .

Norm Barnhart has been a good friend for over 30 years. He does a nice job with the TT, but, it's not for me! --9" silks!!! (I use 18")

With a very few exceptions, the c*l*r ch*ng*ng s*lk has been my opener since 1947. It plays ANYWHERE.--A Fair Ground Grand Stand for 3,000, a country school for 7 (yes! 7), a college concert for 1,000, or a street with a tip of 50.

The late PAT PAGE has a fine presentation on a VHS video tape.. His family still runs the business. The tape I have is titled "One Trick Video" --Patrick Page's COMEDY COLOUR CHANGING HANDKERCHIEF-- apparently produced by TRIK-A-TAPE, LONDON, ENGLAND.

You must remember! It's NOT THE PROP (silks & gaff). It's the PERFORMER, and his PRESENTATION!!!

The sneaky, underhanded,devious & surreptitious itinerant mountebank
Is Pat Page routine in Page By Page?
Sorry, I don't know.
[quote]Some fellows like the Rice PALMO, Some prefer the old standard tube. DE GUSTIBUS NON EST DISPUTANDUM! (One can't argue over tastes!)

The sneaky, underhanded,devious & surreptitious itinerant mountebank [/quote]

Dick it is not what I like it is becuase 18" silks are better seen. on the street you want to be seen. and if I would use TT I would not use a silk square but a silk ribbon. that is much more visible and the same amount of silk.
Just checked and the routine mentioned is in Page by Page
[quote]On Mar 23, 2015, ROBERT BLAKE wrote:
[quote]Some fellows like the Rice PALMO, Some prefer the old standard tube. DE GUSTIBUS NON EST DISPUTANDUM! (One can't argue over tastes!)

The sneaky, underhanded,devious & surreptitious itinerant mountebank [/quote]

Dick it is not what I like it is becuase 18" silks are better seen. on the street you want to be seen. and if I would use TT I would not use a silk square but a silk ribbon. that is much more visible and the same amount of silk. [/quote]

Hi Robert!
I definitely agree! I've always used an 18" silk--since 1947! Anything smaller is just ridiculous, IMO! I've played the grandstand show in front of about 4,000 people, and they could see and appreciate the color change. I use a large hand dye tube, and have no problem. I'm not "ANTI" the Palmo. I've tried it, but prefer the old t*b*.

Even with a vanish and repro. using a TT, I use either a diamond, or an 18" half silk.

BTW, I finally got the envelope in the mail with the "egg beater" and the K. Fox sucker egg in it. I would think the egg beater would play on the street. It's "weak spot" is the "set up" patter.
Dick, thank you so much. your views and ideas and talks are making me happy. when is your book ready?
If you are going to use a hand dye tube, I feel the best is Levent's. It uses the Palmo mentioned above but a well designed one as well as the Pop Haydn/Billy McComb routine. I use it all of the time and the gimmick is a dream to handle. I have no vested interest in it, I just love using it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30_lsAqFZ5s

You get everything you need, including a DVD that shows it very well as one might expect from Levent. http://www.leventmagic.com/
It will also be worth your time to check out Jay Scott Berry's imaginative and very professional/deceiving approach to color changing silks etc. If you don't know what he's doing, you will be fooled!

Julie
My routine uses 24" silks so they can be seen from a big stage. The larger the silk, the more it flutters in the air and draws attention and adds life to the routine. This requires a special gimmick, made for me by Jim Riser. My routine has slightly different handling to accommodate the larger silks and gimmick.

[youtube]ptHQ5x5nW-M[/youtube]

I think size matters a great deal, and use this routine even at the bar:

[youtube]TUgL5njA37I[/youtube]

Our new video and gimmicks should be available in the next few weeks at www.popsmagic.com
[quote]On Mar 24, 2015, Julie wrote:
It will also be worth your time to check out Jay Scott Berry's imaginative and very professional/deceiving approach to color changing silks etc. If you don't know what he's doing, you will be fooled!

Julie [/quote]

I forgot about the Eclipse can be used for this, but the silk has to be very small. And you can't do the Billy McComb finale which makes a logical ending to the trick.
I forgot about the Eclipse can be used for this, but the silk has to be very small. And you can't do the Billy McComb finale which makes a logical ending to the trick. [/quote]
------------------------------------

He is using a different modified gimmick now (NOT a thumb tip) and large true diamond cut silks.

Great demo at his lecture a couple of weeks ago!

Julie
Julie, is there a video clip of this?
[quote]On Mar 24, 2015, mtpascoe wrote:
Julie, is there a video clip of this? [/quote]
--------------------------------------

I don't know, I'm not much of a computer person. I do know he has DVD's. His current work is much more deceptive than the Eclipse and that's saying something!

Julie
My new video on the Color-Changing Handkerchief:

http://www.popsmagic.com/store/p76/New%21_Pop_Haydn%27s_%22The_Color-Changing_Handkerchief%22_~_DVD.html
I have done Billy McCombs routine (actually just the half dyed hank not his "routine") for years. I use the set he gave me, they were a set he made himself just before he opted to let Abbotts manufacture his routine. The gaffs they made were very good and very close to the original.
Billy's gaffs were made from Ronsonol butane cans. They are way bigger than necessary for the Color-Changing Scarf with 18" scarves. They were designed to take most of one 18" and all of the other, in order to accommodate the scarves for the change, and the two fingers deep into the tube for the move. The "palmo" style gimmick is much more efficient for the color-changing scarves.
[quote]On Aug 12, 2015, Pop Haydn wrote:
Billy's gaffs were made from Ronsonol butane cans. They are way bigger than necessary for the Color-Changing Scarf with 18" scarves. They were designed to take most of one 18" and all of the other, in order to accommodate the scarves for the change, and the two fingers deep into the tube for the move. The "palmo" style gimmick is much more efficient for the color-changing scarves. [/quote]

Yes I think I am a victim of what I'm used to. I can't imagine using anything else for the routine though. That's exactly what mine are made from. The abbots size is a tad bit smaller and the metal is a bit thicker. I'm not sure about the "Palmo" but with these you actually have to seperate the fingers a bit to get the grip to remove it.
Palmo style gimmicks have a lip that you can engage with just one finger.

This is the Jim Riser gimmick for the 24" scarves made exclusively for my routine, and which we sell on our website:

[img]http://www.popsmagic.com/uploads/7/7/6/6/7766194/s159710202648579960_p67_i1_w333.jpeg[/img]

These would only work with 18" scarves for the McComb routine.
FWIW... I published my routine for the color changing silk in my book. It involves a "mild" sucker bit, and has a built in applause cue at the finish.

Senor MARDO "duked me in" to the handling in Bob Stull's Shop in San Francisco, in 1947. I've done it ever since. It became my opener about 45 years ago. If I were busking, I would use it to open the act (after grabbing a tip. --creating an edge is a new term for me!) It runs about 3 minutes.

I like the traditional dy t*be, but it can be done with a palmo. I use 18" silks.
I can certainly see the draw these have. They are a very nice design and would certainly be a benefit in the routine. I may have to think about giving them a try are the aluminum or copper?
They are spun aluminum. There is a free pdf with photos on my site:

http://www.popsmagic.com/store/p67/Jim_Riser_Dye_Tube__--_In_Stock%21.html

BTW We have a 15% off sale until Sept 7th on all orders over $10. Just use the coupon code: [b]School[/b]

We also have the Color-Changing Handkerchief as a $10 downloadable video:

http://www.popsmagic.com/store/p75/NEW%21_Pop_Haydn%27s_%22The_Color_Changing_Handkerchief%22_~_Downloadable_Video.html
Pop, thanks so much for the great info and for the great sale. I'm a big fan of the Palmo so I can't wait to try out this larger tube.

Bruce
:) Let us know what you think!

BTW, we only had a run of a hundred Dye Tubes. I don't know if Jim is going to do another run or not, but I don't think he will.
I received Pop's dye tube today (prompt shipping from California) and I love it! It's beautifully machined and the size is fantastic--it is brilliant. I know--it's just a dye tube, but what a fantastic size. The only thing missing is Pop's autograph on the gimmick. My compliments also to Jim Riser for his craftsmanship. If you haven't ordered yours yet, I'd get on that immediately, if not sooner.

Bruce
I actually like the old chameleon silk routine with three colors - 9" I think? But I'd like to do it with whatever gimmick and slightly larger silks I could get away with. I'm not sure what would work or how big I could go with the silks. Ideas?
[quote]On Aug 16, 2015, writeall wrote:
I actually like the old chameleon silk routine with three colors - 9" I think? But I'd like to do it with whatever gimmick and slightly larger silks I could get away with. I'm not sure what would work or how big I could go with the silks. Ideas? [/quote]

I used a routine with fish that were made of silk for a few shows years back. It was the same type routine as the chameleon silks. It's used a dye tube that was covered in a lifesavers wrapper and used a popcorn box to vanish the silk fish. The size of the fish were easily 12 inches so I guess any size would work. It really has to do with you dye tube size I suppose. The truly nice thing about the smaller one is that it takes up so little space but still can be seen pretty far away. Which is really why magicians began using silks for magic to begin with I'm sure.
[quote]On Aug 16, 2015, bigfoot wrote:
[quote]On Aug 16, 2015, writeall wrote:
I actually like the old chameleon silk routine with three colors - 9" I think? But I'd like to do it with whatever gimmick and slightly larger silks I could get away with. I'm not sure what would work or how big I could go with the silks. Ideas? [/quote]

I used a routine with fish that were made of silk for a few shows years back. It was the same type routine as the chameleon silks. It's used a dye tube that was covered in a lifesavers wrapper and used a popcorn box to vanish the silk fish. The size of the fish were easily 12 inches so I guess any size would work. It really has to do with you dye tube size I suppose. The truly nice thing about the smaller one is that it takes up so little space but still can be seen pretty far away. Which is really why magicians began using silks for magic to begin with I'm sure. [/quote]

I thought I knew this, but maybe not. I thought the dye tube was used with something like rolled paper shown empty and then used on the silks. Whereas in the Chameleon silks, the handling shows the hands constantly empty -- in essense, the hands take the place of the rolled paper. Is the gimmick in the Chameleon silks called a "dye tube" as well?

In any case, my problem is in increasing the size of the hidden tube to allow for larger silks and retaining all the standard moves which keep the gimmick hidden. I thought I might buy some larger silks and then make the tube to fit, but I don't really know what size I can get away with. At any one time, the tube holds two silks, and it has to fit into the closed fist. The one you get with the original trick is pretty small, so there's room to expand, but how much?
I suspect to get two silks in the gimmick at one time, you would have to use 18" silks. A 24" silk gimmick, holding only one silk, will more than fill your hand.

To do the McComb half-dyed hank with the larger gimmick, I have to use 18" scarves. I suspect it would be the same with the Chameleon Silks. The moves with the larger gimmicks would have to be different from the Chameleon Silk handling.
[quote]On Aug 16, 2015, Pop Haydn wrote:
I suspect to get two silks in the gimmick at one time, you would have to use 18" silks. A 24" silk gimmick, holding only one silk, will more than fill your hand.

To do the McComb half-dyed hank with the larger gimmick, I have to use 18" scarves. I suspect it would be the same with the Chameleon Silks. The moves with the larger gimmicks would have to be different from the Chameleon Silk handling. [/quote]

Thanks. I do like the moves though. Time to start experimenting I guess. Maybe 12s or 15s will work.

It's funny how we get bonded to some trick we did when we first started.
Here is [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEEgfNE9yHw]a nice performance of the color changing silk[/url] by George Millward. You can buy his dye tubes and other fine items [url=http://www.ghmmagic.com/about.html]HERE[/url].
I use a dye tube on the street, in na adapted misers dream/benson bowl routine http://youtube.com/watch?v=0kY8V_u4Xi8 I use an old Johnson's Dye Tube ,don't think they are available any more. I had several so just fix them up. I'm sure plenty others will do the trick. I can vanish 3 2" soft or 3 1" in firm sponge balls in and produce a 12" regular or 18" diamond cut silk out the other end.
also overcame wind issues using sponge balls in my windy beach area. p/m if interested in that.
cheers
Nala
[quote]On Mar 23, 2016, Nala Nosmoht wrote:
I use a dye tube on the street, in na adapted misers dream/benson bowl routine http://youtube.com/watch?v=0kY8V_u4Xi8 I use an old Johnson's Dye Tube ,don't think they are available any more. I had several so just fix them up. I'm sure plenty others will do the trick. I can vanish 3 2" soft or 3 1" in firm sponge balls in and produce a 12" regular or 18" diamond cut silk out the other end.
also overcame wind issues using sponge balls in my windy beach area. p/m if interested in that.
cheers
Nala [/quote]
thank you
You're welcome Mike!

We just spent the weekend doing this,it works like a charm. Pennies wouldn't, not going into a dye tube.
good luck! ooops! break a leg.
[youtube]N3WeX5Zfo-c[/youtube]
Nice one, Pop! Thanks for posting the video.

A scarf with a different colour on each side...
Florists wrap a bunch of flowers with rather stiff paper that has a different colour on each side. Maybe that could be used to
some effect in magic?
If you check out Scott Alexander's Penguin lecture (Live 3) which was a free Christmas lecture from Penguin (currently $29 now)

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/6354

He does a multi color silk production as part of a routine. I recently used this at an event as a crowd gathering and worked great. You could easily then transition into a dye tube.

I'd never used silks before, but the color and the movement really catches the eye. Will likely incorporate them more. Besides Pop Haydn's stuff, Michael Ammar does some cool silk work...
Duke Stern (Abbott's) used a Hunts tomato paste can.
Yup! I realized years ago, that silks packed small and light, and added flash to a small prop program. I wrote up all my silk routines in the book. Color change 20th C.,"Slydini", Serpentine, etc. I especially like my routine for he ELUSIVE SILK VANISH. It needs NO SET UP!

my experience as a teenager in the '40s, working in a ten in one helped me to realize early, what plays in situations like busking!
I am looking for a decent palmo gimmick to vanish 18" silks, Just going to start the half dyed silk routine, I live in UK.
Rice makes a very nice palmo. Priced right too.
Rice no longer makes a Palmo. They are completely out of stock and they will not be making anymore.
Wow. I bought one from them about 6 months ago. Glad I did.
Still looking for either palmo or Dye tube for colour changing silks, UK
I have a Rice Palmo. It's literally Brand New, still wrapped in that paper stuff they used to send it in. It's never seen the light of day. I was going to keep it because they are not made anymore, but I would never use it because I don't do anything that needs a Palmo. I'll part with it for 25 pounds. If you want it, send me a PM and I'll give you my Paypal info.
I'm sure glad I learned to make color change gimmicks from Dollar Store Materials. It's in Dollar Store Magic Book 2 on The Magic Nook if you don't know how. 25 pounds = $30.42. I'll keep my valuable old Palmo in the safe and use my plastic home-made gimmicks on the street.
Whit aka Pop your silk performance was hilarious. We don't ever utter the phrase "Do you guys want to see some magic?" We exclaim do y'all want to see something that will not only blow your brain but also entertain? Its yours to keep Poppa...
Thanks, Devious! I use the magic question because the color-changing hank follows the 6 Card Repeat, which is supposedly "just" a "classic mathematical" card trick. See you Sunday!
If looking to experiment with some home made building...5 hour energy drinks come in nifty little plastic bottles with nice rounded shoulder. Take off label, cut accordingly (take two, cut off necks, cut in half, and glue). Then some paint or flesh tape and you'll have a nice dye tube to play with.
I remember reading that guys used tomato paste cans.
I have recently go the download Palmo, The Laflin Silk series 4. It is a great DVD with lots of ideas and variations all based around the technique of using this gimmick.

This has been very helpful and well worth a look.
Terry Herbert has a great routine as well on one of his DVDs
I started with a 75 cent hand dye tube in 1947. --bought in Bob Stull's shop in San Francisco. I told the story in my book, of Senor Charlesl MARDO, and, his giving me a 30 minute lesson in how to use it. I bless him, every time that I open the show with the dye tube. Years later, I bought one from Johnson products, and it has done a "few" thousand shows. "Them there classic tricks" are worth learning!
This thread was resurrected so the small point I'm making responds to a two year old post, but when you are using a TT, you can increase the visibility/size of the silks by using diamond cut silks. Larger apparent size from less bulk. That, of course, assumes you don't need to display the silks like Pop does.
After some trial and error, I do not recommend a dye tube on the street. I gave it a go with a palmo and the wind it brutal blowing that silk around. While it can be done, it's no where near as good as it is inside.
[quote]On Sep 13, 2017, cbguy wrote:
After some trial and error, I do not recommend a dye tube on the street. I gave it a go with a palmo and the wind it brutal blowing that silk around. While it can be done, it's no where near as good as it is inside. [/quote]

What size silks were you using outdoors? Getting ready to learn Billy McCombs Half Dyed Silk and had considered using it on the street.

Gary
Just to give a different perspective....I have used the dye tube on the street many many times...and if it is not windy, it is GREAT. Packs small, plays big and vertical. Great for a crowd gather, beginning.

18" silks work with the standard Palmo which I use.

Agree with cbguy if there is wind, it is brutal.

And Chatterbox....I hope to see a post soon with your experience trying street magic. Less chatter...more action :-)
18 inch silks and a rice palmo. What Zauberman said is perfect, I can't add anything to that.
[quote]On Sep 23, 2017, Zauberman wrote:

And Chatterbox....I hope to see a post soon with your experience trying street magic. Less chatter...more action :-) [/quote]

Definitely Zauberman! Did what I believe will be my street act at a festival a couple weeks back for 4 hours... if I can get the photos small enough to post, I'll begin my series of posts... :-)

Gary
[quote]On Sep 23, 2017, Chatterbox41 wrote:
[quote]On Sep 13, 2017, cbguy wrote:
After some trial and error, I do not recommend a dye tube on the street. I gave it a go with a palmo and the wind it brutal blowing that silk around. While it can be done, it's no where near as good as it is inside. [/quote]

What size silks were you using outdoors? Getting ready to learn Billy McCombs Half Dyed Silk and had considered using it on the street.

Gary [/quote]

I've been doing the color changing silk since 1947. On a few occasions, I've used it when working "al fresco", but, it was a day with only a light breeze! Wind can make it a bit difficult.

Consider using the "Elusive" silk vanish. It's much easier.
I thought of a way to make the dye tube work on the street doing the half dyed silk, without the wind being an issue.

If I have time to play with it, I will give it a go over the next few weeks and report back if it was successful, doing it the way I have in mind.
Having known Billy McComb, fairly well, although I don't do his "half dyed", I shall look forward to your thoughts!
[quote]On Mar 21, 2015, Yellowcustard wrote:
[quote]On Mar 19, 2015, ROBERT BLAKE wrote:
I use the patrick page routine with a palmo gimmick and 18" silks. [/quote]

I do the same and have done for a while. A great edge builder. [/quote]

I hope this doesn’t come off as rude but;

If you’re going to recommend a routine, wouldn’t it be nice to say where the routine can be found?
[quote]On Mar 23, 2015, migwar wrote:
Just checked and the routine mentioned is in Page by Page [/quote]

Thank you.
I had a nice hand dye tube made of metal with a cloth tape inside. One day, the tape just split! I did without for a long time and then, with a small windfall, I bought some stuff including a “Verne’s” tube that I’d seen on Tannen’s website. When it came in, I was VERY disappointed! A tiny, plastic thing, a little larger than my thumb! I actually wrote them over this and one of the kid’s tricks I bought. They said; “Yeah, it’s ment for smaller silks. Nothing over 14”.” Lovely. Nowhere in the ad does it suggest what size silk is to be used or what the dimensions of the tube are. If I’d been in the store, I’d have never bought it.