(Close Window)
Topic: Pocket management when strolling - Please advice!!
Hi all!
I have settled on a set that I am comfortable with but I am really struggling with pocket management.
First, let me tell you my 3 sets of 3;

Set 1
Crazy mans handcuffs
Slop shuffle Triumph
Ambitious card, phantom deck, phantom pen and card to wallet ending (Real Mans wallet)

Set 2
Sponge Balls
Dr Daleys last trick (in a separate gaff card wallet)
One Cup Routine (the regular "three small balls" and two final loads (lime/billiard ball)

Set 3
One Coin Flurry & Jumbo Coin Production (based on Ammars routine)
Torched and Restored (only ten cards)
Invisible Deck

I have the following questions;

1. How on earth can I pocket manage this? I am wearing a suit..
2. Does "do more with less" apply here? Should I ditch some routines? Do more with cards?
3. The final loads are REALLY bulky. Should I only do this for "special" occasions? (Would hate that..)

ANY feedback is GREATLY appreciated.. I am really stressed out trying to make this work. I have a tendency to overthink and this often forces me into lesser creative periods..
I am currently very unorganized when doing gigs because of my cluttered pockets, but every effort to "unclutter" them only leads to me going around with lesser diversity in my effects.

Please please chime in everyone.. If only with a couple of words. I need help!
You may want to think about trimming down the number of effects if you can get away without 3 sets of 3. You can do Daley's last trick by just taking out the cards from full deck so as to eliminate the separate wallet (gaffed?) I usually use the jumbo coin to end a one coin routine. I have it on a clip in the back of the suit and can easily reload it in the clip after going from one group to another. This frees up a back pocket. Usually in a suit there is a small pocket on the lower left inside which I use for a few cards so you can use it for the torched cards. One regular deck in the upper inner pocket and the wallet in the other upper pocket. Sponge balls in outer coat pocket with the rubber bands. The invisible deck in the other outer coat pocket. Coins and loads in pants pockets. If you are performing at tables then just put the cup down at the start.
My suggestion is to combine them into 2 acts of 4, and drop the one cup routine - I'd love to do chop cup strolling, but half the time either there's no table nearby or its too crowded. Sure, you could place the cup on their hand but in my opinion it's not worth the effort of being weighted down/bulging suit hiding a lime/8 ball

Set 1

-CMH
-Slop Shuffle
-Ambitious card > Wallet > Phantom Deck (theres greater cover switching deck whilst they are removing the card from your wallet)
-Sponge Balls (depending on the routine you use, I'd suggest sponge bunnies in its place)

Set 2
-One Coin Flurry (check out Bag4Life for a great way of getting into a one coin flurry)
-Daley Last Trick -take them from a regular deck, and use the same deck to segueway into..
-Torched and Restored
-Invisible Deck

Pocket Management
-Elastic Bands (right wrist)
-Deck of Cards (right jacket outside pocket)
-Invisible Deck (left inside pocket)
-Phantom Deck (left jacket pocket)
-Sponge Balls (right trouser pocket)
-Loose Half Dollar (left trouser pocket)
-Lighter for Torched and restored (left trouser pocket)
-Jumbo Half (left back trouser pocket/belt waistline)

That leaves your right inside pocket spare for holding your phone/keys/sharpie, your ticket pocket for holding business cards, and your breast pocket for holding spare gaffs for torched and restored
Don't your fingers get covered in ash performing Torched and Restored?
I would learn to do more with less.

Have some coins have some cards and maybe ring string stuff and work from there. No pocket management necessary.

You can do several card things or coin things or mix them up and so forth. Pretty easy really. I would start to learn utility moves and not routines. This way you can have hundreds of routines literally.

I have heard this 3 sets of 3 quoted and ir is a good starting point. But sticking to it like dogma makes no sense to me personally.

But fir pocket management having less to worry about managing seems prudent to me.
I can help with some advice. I stroll currently with 13-14 different effects in my pockets. Now this seems like allot, but I have done some major long strolling events and I love the fact that I have everything on me and most of my routines require no (or very little) table space. On top of that, having more than you need can sometimes feel like a safety net that can boost your confidence and professionalism when performing.

Now, with all that said, I usually stick to 3 sets of 3 like you do. I keep the rest for backup if I need to pull something else out.

First I use a waiters apron that I got from a kitchen supply place. My wife sewed another seam down the middle creating a three pocket pouch for my larger props that don't fit in a pocket. When I set this up I place the apron on me in back so that it lays over my butt. I tie it in the front and tuck the strings into my pants. they are hidden behind my tie and belt. I wear a suit jacket over this which covers the apron in back. If I need a prop I just reach back, under my suit jacket, and pull out the prop. It goes back the same way. Smooth.

Next I wear three cell phone cases with card decks in them. The main one I wear in front is a double wide case which has a side pouch on each side. This case is big enough for two decks of cards, a deck of ESP cards, a small notebook, a hot rod in one side, 3-4 pens on the other side. These cases are clipped onto my belt in various locations. The two small cases are hooked to my belt and under the flaps of my suit jacket.

Now for my jacket. I place a deck of cards in each outer jacket pocket. In the right jacket pocket I have two small inner pockets that each hold a chinese coin. each inside breast pocket of the jacket is loaded with 2-3 routines. I have a lower pocket towards the bottom left side of the coat to hold a small item, such as a ring and chain, or a pouch, or a ring and string setup. If I am wearing a dress shirt with a breast pocket I load my celebrity smart ass setup in there. I then place three routines into the outside breast pocket of my suit jacket.

Now for the pants. I take my keys and wallet out of my pants and place them into my close-up case which I store in a private location at the gig, or in my car. Now I can load all four pockets with routines. Usually my haunted key, lighter, and some platic toy rings (which I give away as a prize for a mentalism routine), in the left pocket, a set of sponge balls and my pyro perception gimmick in the right pants pocket, a cheek to cheek deck in my back left pocket(next to my cheek - that's how I remember its there), and if I want to use my invisible deck, I place that in my right back pocket.

Now I also wear black cargo pants with extra lower pockets as part of my attire which affords me two extra pockets in which to place replacement envelopes (for another mentalism routine), and my set of professors nightmare. You may not wear dress cargo pants so this one may not be for you.

Lastly I wear rubberbands on both wrists and more up the sleeves, under the suit jacket sleeves for CMH.

So as an exaggeration, you can see that I can really load myself up with over 25 routines. Depending on the event I may only load 10-13 routines, and some events I may load all twenty five. (most times I don't).

So, now let me address your sets. You have a ton of room for your stuff.

I would wear the rubber bands on your wrists under the suit jacket. Get some cell phone cases for your gimmicked decks and your regular decks. Your packet tricks can go into your shirt pocket or in another cell phone case.

Place your sponge balls in one pants pocket, the coin routine in the other pants pocket, or use these pockets for your chop cup final loads.

You can also get the apron like I have to put larger items. You might even be able to store your chop cup behind you that way.

You have allot less stuff than I do so you should have no trouble placing it all. The key is to place it in the same place all the time. Get used to setting up your stuff the same way, in the exact same location every time, as well as pulling everything out of your pockets and back into your close-up case after the gig ends the same way everytime. After a few gigs you'll become anal about it and that's where you want to be. Once you get used to pocket management you'll never go back to clutter.

I hope I have helped, even a little bit.

S. Patrick
Montana,
I've talked about this here before. It was common for me to do 25-32 different routines in a 3 hour shift. I had several (10) special pockets put into all my suits. Cost me an additional $100/suit. Why did I do that many routines? Because I could. I loved learning new things and figured if I can do it...I should. Then I got tired of spending the extra $$$ every time I bought a new suit and went with one of those holsters. I can't remember who made it, but I bought it used from a guy (in a yellow suit) here. I used that for more than a few years, but discarded it recently. Now, I just go with the suit as is. And, if something doesn't fit, I don't use it. If I add something new that requires more "pocket", then something else goes out or the new thing doesn't get added.
Another thing, I've never been a fan of having rubber bands on my wrists. I dunno, I think being dressed up in a suit and tie and wearing rubber bands on the wrist just looks badly. My opinion, only. When I was doing rubber band magic, I would conceal them in the cuffs of my rolled up sleeves. I work with my sleeves rolled up over the sleeve bottom of my jacket.
As far as the loads for the chop cup, I'd suggest getting ball holders. They pin on to the lining of your jacket and lay nicely...so no pocket needed. I carry a lime around in that manner. For the Jumbo Coin production, I slide mine under my belt. It is tight enough to stay there and easy to retrieve.
Finally, I always buy dress shirt that have a breast pocket. That helps tremendously.
Hope that helps
Patrick
I tell ya Flanagan is the man when it comes to this stuff.
At some point near the end of my event I take a short break and re-load. That way I can end with the Chop Cup or something else special.
Montana,
I just thought of a couple other touches. I use the real man's wallet, also. However, I found that it drops too low in the back pocket. That makes it difficult to load. So, I had my left rear pants pocket sewn about an inch or so higher. Just fold up the lower portion of the pocket until the wallet sticks out from the top edge of the pocket enough to make it easier to load. Also, my rear right pocket is sewn in half vertically. this splits the pocket in half creating, in essence, two pockets. In one side I keep a very long butterfly knife for a card stab. In the other side is...well....i can't remember the name of the prop but it is a ring flight without the reel.
hope that helps
and thanks Danny....lol
Patrick
I abandoned the 3 sets of 3 idea as soon as I stepped into a real situation to perform. It may work for some, but it's not my style; it seemed way to limiting and was too much to think about.

I would just have about 8-10 things with me that I could do in my sleep and freestyle it from there.

Building rapport was always the most important and chatting with the folks combined with the time limits of working in a restaurant or strolling at a party quickly eliminated the notion of strict sets. I just made sure that every effect was a powerful closer if need be.

I would always open with my chop cup routine and choose what would follow based on the people at the table, their reactions, etc.

Was I approaching a table of ladies? Maybe go into sponge bunnies or at least know that would be my closer.

Are there kids at the table? Go into a TT trick or sponge balls.

Working men or do the people seem skeptical about magicians? Go right into C/S/B as there is no explanation or backtracking possible.

Just some examples and real life thinking behind my methods. YMMV.

Theodore-

Also- this "freedom" allowed me to stay with people longer if time permitted and allowed me to still be flexible enough to stop whenever I wanted or needed without having to think about my "sets." Staying with people longer was one of the most fun things!
WOW!!
Thank you all for helping out! I will study each and every post and if needed come back with more detailed questions.

Thank you so much:)
Montana, ditch half that stuff! Props that you only do one thing with are of no real use in a strolling situation.

I'm with Theodore. I don't do the 3 sets of 3. I have about 30 working pieces to pick and choose from that I can do with a normal deck, 2 coin sets that go into one purse, a sharpie, my wallet and a separate wallet to carry jokers and stranger cards. I reset as I go from one table to another. In my bag I keep a few extra decks, chop cup, Unshuffled, ring and string, and other odds and ends that if I see a lot of repeat customers I can grab quickly.

Look into finding a copy of the book Pocket Power by Jarle Lierpoll. One of the best books on close up magic. Pocket management, ditching, switching etc.
Pocket Power sounds like a good read! My gosh, thanks for sharing that Pepka; I've got it on my short list. They have it at Lybrary for only 13 dollars.

http://www.lybrary.com/pocket-power-p-147.html

:readingbook:
[quote]On May 4, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
I tell ya Flanagan is the man when it comes to this stuff. [/quote]

Another of "those darn clever Irishmen"! I think that Jim Ryan would be proud!!!

Patrick: "If it doesn't fit in my prop case, it 'aint' in the act!" Welcome to the "club"!!!

Dick
Sneaky, underhanded, devious and surreptitious itinerant mountebank
Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions! I really have to take some time reading through it all and devouring it!

Jarle Leirpoll is actually a member of the same Magic Society as I (Magic Circle Norway) so I have actually discussed his book with him in person.
I think rather than buying the Lybrary version we should purchase it directly from the author. You can do so and support Jarle here: http://www.leirpoll.com/pocket.htm

I am putting in my order today!!
Nice!
THEODORE & PEPKA! YES!!!!!!!!!!!

I learned early to "go" with GENERIC props. (rope, ring, two "polys" (not silk) for knots, a few coins,sponge balls & purse frame, TT, etc.) Occasionally, I might have an egg bag.

I also learned early that a definite routine was too limiting. FREESTYLE! --and nothing to re set.

I haven't table hopped in years. I did a lot of hospitality rooms, and cocktail parties before banquets. A couple years ago in New Orleans for a corporate Holiday Cocktail Hour (before banquet)I spent an hour vanishing lit matches in a TT! (Very dark party room.) I used up about 4 books of matches!!! The client was happy!

Nate Leipzig's tricks were ALL "closers".

Dick
Here's my line up and my pocket management. I know it's not quite directing your set, but perhaps you may get an idea. Plus, I have a couple thoughts.

Firstly, I like to do 3 sets of three different types of tricks. I usually open with a coin trick, then I'll do an off-beat (different sort of object trick) and a card trick. Depending on the tricks ability to close will judge rather it's in the middle, or the last trick. So if the card trick is killer, I'll close with it, if I feel the ring and string or whichever is stronger, I'll close with that instead. I also have up to 3 stand-alone effects specifically for good tippers, repeat customers who always treat me well, and VIP's.

Set 1:
Flash production one coin routine ending with the jumbo coin finale
The Ambitious Card
Card to Real Man's Wallet Finale.

(Set 1 is a short and sweet set that always kills, I count the third as the card to wallet, just for the purpose of being short and sweet.)

Set 2:
Coins across (my own version, uses a duplicate coin, no shell)
The Chicago Opener (Again, a personal version of my own that is psychologically refined and intensively thought out.)
Ring and String (Finger ring and a leather lace. Source for the ring and string is diamond jim tyler's collateral dvd of which has a modular ring and string routine that I took parts of and later made refinements and additions of my own. I then close with either the collateral transposition, or a ring flight.)

Set 3:
3-fly (A modified version, similar to Ponta the Smiths, though I devised my own methods for producing the coins before beginning the routine.
Fiber Optics based rope routine. (A professor's nightmare of sorts that is created from Richard Sander's Fiber Optics, also adding refinements. However, I only do this if I really want the set to be long. Most of the time I just skip this trick because the next one is so long)
My own Cards to Pocket with Triumphant Finale. (Kinda hard to explain but it's a Francis Carlyle classic cards to pocket with refinements and I fuse the teaching of J.C Wagner. I finish it out with the in the hands Triumph that he taught on the International Magic Lecture DVD.)

Stand Alone effects (I don't always have them with me, and they are often swapped out with new tricks for testing)
Derek Dingle's Color Stunner. It's a Triumph with color changing deck finale. Absolutely one of the most mind blowing color changing decks in existence when performed well, no doubt.
Daniel Madison's Angle Z to a lemon or lime... One of the very few Ellusionist tricks I think is actually worth the money.
Color changing knives.. Pretty classical version

Now for the pocket management.

Firstly, I wear a three-piece suit when I perform. So, Jacket, pants and vest. Depending on how hot I get, I sometimes remove the jacket. There is also one contraption attached to my belt. It's Joshua Jay's Pro Carrier which I HIGHLY recommend for pocket management.

Back Right Pants Pocket: Real Man's Wallet with a Jumbo coin laying aside it on the innermost side of the wallet.

Front right Pants Pocket: You know those Jeweler pouches that are just big enough to fit a few morgan dollars in? The type with the draw strings. When I purchased my Morgans, they gave me one of those draw string bags, so I use that to keep 4 Morgans inside. Adding to that, I keep 1 loose Morgan in my pocket too so that I finger palm the lose coin and remove the pouch, dumping those coins in to my left hand so that I have a 5th coin concealed in my hand that they don't know about for my coins across. When I want to do my three-fly, I use the 4 coins in side of the pouch.

Front left Pants Pocket: 1 Coin and a coin Purse containing many very small pieces of flash paper. I use the left pocket to hold props for my one-coin flash production. I introduce a coin purse, and take a piece of paper out instead of a coin. I put the coin purse back away and hold the piece of flash paper in my right hand. As I put the coin purse away, I get the coin in to Edge Grip and come back out with the coin concealed, putting the piece of flash paper in my left hand, it looks very natural and open at this point. I go in to my vest pocket (Which I'll get to in a second) and get a lighter to light the flash paper and then produce the coin from edge grip. An extremely eye popping opener for a coin flurry.

Right front vest pocket, 1 Finger Ring, one leather lace, and a lighter.

Joshua Jay's Pro Carrier, orientated to my left hip on the belt: This is where I keep my cards. It has two slots for decks of cards. Usually it remains covered by my jacket when I get a deck of cards out. So when I finish up a routine with a deck, I have every intention of doing another trick, but I pretend to be done by putting the cards away. At that point I say alright-- I'll do one more. I get the deck out set-up for Derek Dingle's Color Stunner out and they think it's the same deck because it looks like it's coming from the same place--Right where I just put the deck back. At the end of the color stunner, they always comment saying that they just saw me perform with an entirely blue deck that is now red-- Unbelievable. the Color Stunner takes a lot of practice, but it's totally worth the reactions in my opinion!

If I'm gonna do fiber optics, I just toss the ropes in to my left jacket pocket. But, that's the extent of my pocket management. The pro carrier really makes things all compact. I still have free pockets for other things if need be! I still have the left vest pocket, right jacket pocket, top jacket pocket, top vest pocket, top shirt pocket all freed up, not that I'd use the jacket one for anything but a pocket square.

Cup routines and other things really would take up a lot of room in my pockets, so that's not really a part of my act. However, there's one thing I really think you should try out from this, regardless of rather you want to put in the effort for the color stunner or not if you're interested. It's the Joshua Jay Pro Carrier. I practically carry my whole act with me every day cause I have plenty of space for all my coin stuff and a deck of cards in just a regular pair of pants and the carrier. And ah, I forgot one thing.. a Sharpie in my top left vest pocket!

Good luck.
Agreed with Theodore and Pepka, 3 sets of 3 is good in theory, but after your first table you will abandon that theory quickly. In time, you will be able to "read" a table in a matter of seconds....because that's all the time you have. In that time, you will determine who is the "alpha" or "voice" of the table (because that is whom you will direct your request to perform), and you will be able to determine which effects will work for that particular table. It just takes time. So, yes, being able to freelance, in my opinion, is the way to go.
So many times, while performing an opener, I've had to call an audible and change the game plan for what I had "planned" for my 2nd and 3rd routines.
Dick....I'm actually mostly Italian. I know....with a name like Patrick Flanagan...lol
I've been working that plan for my parlor shows also. I've been working on putting a show together that I call "One Trip". That means, it takes me one trip from the car to the venue to set up, and one trip from the venue to the car to leave. So, I've ditched a lot of routines which I had performed for years because of my new rule. I don't know. Maybe the older I get, the less I want to carry...lol
Patrick
[quote]On May 5, 2015, Montana76 wrote:
Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions! I really have to take some time reading through it all and devouring it!

Jarle Leirpoll is actually a member of the same Magic Society as I (Magic Circle Norway) so I have actually discussed his book with him in person.
I think rather than buying the Lybrary version we should purchase it directly from the author. You can do so and support Jarle here: http://www.leirpoll.com/pocket.htm

I am putting in my order today!! [/quote]

I bought Jarle Leirpoll's book when it was first published, from whoever had the first US distributorship (probably Hank Lee at that time). I consider it one of the more important books in magic. Almost all close-up magicians use their pockets to some extent. His book takes a smart approach to understanding how to get the most from them. Mr. Leirpoll also leads by example... there are several VERY good routines explained that perfectly illustrate the various examinations of pocket usage.

Montana76, I am actually envious that you know him personally. :) I felt honored when he accepted my friend request on Facebook! Ha!

I've had the pleasure of meeting Patrick Flanagan, but I have not seen him work. Just from reading his posts here over the years, I have no doubt he is spot on with any advice he offers. His metamorphosis of prop management sounds a bit like my own, but with some notable differences. When I was first starting out, I used a seat/case like John Mendoza describes and uses. But at that time, most close-up magic was performed seated at the table. Once strolling stand-up table-hopping became more the standard, I had my pockets stuffed like a cross between Captain Kangaroo, and a shoplifter at the end of a busy shift. I swear I weighed thirty pounds less when I got undressed after work. This did not even begin to account for attached goodies like FISM Flash, pulls, ITR, hidden wine bottles, and you name it.

I was working a lot and making some serious (almost sinful) money, so I could hardly see the error of my ways. Fortunately, this time was also smack in the middle of the era when baggy suits were the style of the day. As with Patrick's story, I found a need for alterations in my clothing. So, just as fortunate was the fact that I knew how to sew. I did my own alterations on my suits, so I can easily see where the cost of having it done professionally could quickly reach $100., as Patrick mentions.

Eventually, I became older and wiser (I think). Rather than look for better ways to tote all that junk with me or on me while doing walk-around, I took one of two routes. For strolling gigs (which I don't book at all anymore) I pared down and carried less (again like Patrick mentions), but mostly I focused on building a market and booking gigs where I could do a one-shot close-up show. This way, I could justify working with a small case and still do much of the close-up magic that plays well in the more intimate settings... stuff that one would normally consider a pain to carry around all night long (bulkier props, lousy reset, etc.).
Hi Montana,
SPatrick and Patrick Flanagan mentioned phone cases or holsters.
Have you looked at Pro Carrier by Joshua Jay?
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/1422
My problem of pocket management is worse than yours since I don't wear a jacket. I only have 4 pants pockets and I don't want to be fumbling for anything.
My carrier goes on my belt instead of a phone and my car keys on a belt clip.
I notice you don't do any bill tricks (I use EB). This goes down well and takes up little space. Do you not do TT tricks?
Since you do sponge balls what about Turbo Stick which leads nicely into sponge balls?
I have loops and some rubber band tricks but haven't performed them yet. Since they don't take up any pocket space I am hoping I can learn to include them.

Richard
Ive done a 2 hour walk around gig with a set of mini lining rings, 2 sponge balls, and an invisible deck. I used to think I needed 20 effects or more when strolling.
I admit to feeling under-prepared when I do a gig, but experience has shown that less can be more based on ones performance style.
[quote]On May 4, 2015, drmagico wrote:
...You can do Daley's last trick by just taking out the cards from full deck so as to eliminate the separate wallet (gaffed?) I usually use the jumbo coin to end a one coin routine. I have it on a clip in the back of the suit and can easily reload it in the clip after going from one group to another. ...[/quote]

Hi drmagico and thank you!
I use my shirt pocket for Dr Dalays. I have one of those small "packet trick" wallets (plastic). Non gaffed. What kind of clip do you use for your jumbo coin?

[quote]On May 4, 2015, Chamberlain wrote:
My suggestion is to combine them into 2 acts of 4, and drop the one cup routine - I'd love to do chop cup strolling, but half the time either there's no table nearby or its too crowded... [/quote]

Thank you very much for the input! And thanks a lot for all the tips on the routines! Great info!

[quote]On May 4, 2015, Chamberlain wrote:
Don't your fingers get covered in ash performing Torched and Restored? [/quote]

Not really!

[quote]On May 4, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
I would learn to do more with less.
Have some coins have some cards and maybe ring string stuff and work from there. No pocket management necessary.
You can do several card things or coin things or mix them up and so forth. Pretty easy really. I would start to learn utility moves and not routines. This way you can have hundreds of routines literally.
I have heard this 3 sets of 3 quoted and ir is a good starting point. But sticking to it like dogma makes no sense to me personally.
But fir pocket management having less to worry about managing seems prudent to me. [/quote]

Really good points here. I am actually originally a "card guy". I know my shuffles and moves but I been striving for diversity for my walkaround. My coin work is lacking though..
Maybe you could recommend some good card routines for walkaround except for the three I have? (ACR, Dr Daleys, Slop Shuffle).

Thanks for your tips!!

[quote]On May 4, 2015, spatrick wrote:
I can help with some advice. I stroll currently with 13-14 different effects in my pockets. Now this seems like allot, but I have done some major long strolling events and I love the fact that I have everything on me and most of my routines require no (or very little) table space. On top of that, having more than you need can sometimes feel like a safety net that can boost your confidence and professionalism when performing.

Now, with all that said, I usually stick to 3 sets of 3 like you do. I keep the rest for backup if I need to pull something else out.
(snip)

You have allot less stuff than I do so you should have no trouble placing it all. The key is to place it in the same place all the time. Get used to setting up your stuff the same way, in the exact same location every time, as well as pulling everything out of your pockets and back into your close-up case after the gig ends the same way everytime. After a few gigs you'll become anal about it and that's where you want to be. Once you get used to pocket management you'll never go back to clutter.

I hope I have helped, even a little bit.

S. Patrick [/quote]

Thanks spatrick!
The thing is that these nine effects have been carefully selected and I would LOVE to carry the all. Your advice makes me wanna spend some more time trying to physically figure it out. Cell phone cases, aprons or hip-bags are out of the question I am afraid.

[quote]On May 4, 2015, patrick flanagan wrote:
Montana,
I've talked about this here before. It was common for me to do 25-32 different routines in a 3 hour shift. I had several (10) special pockets put into all my suits. Cost me an additional $100/suit. Why did I do that many routines? Because I could. I loved learning new things and figured if I can do it...I should. Then I got tired of spending the extra $$$ every time I bought a new suit and went with one of those holsters. I can't remember who made it, but I bought it used from a guy (in a yellow suit) here. I used that for more than a few years, but discarded it recently. Now, I just go with the suit as is. And, if something doesn't fit, I don't use it. If I add something new that requires more "pocket", then something else goes out or the new thing doesn't get added.
Another thing, I've never been a fan of having rubber bands on my wrists. I dunno, I think being dressed up in a suit and tie and wearing rubber bands on the wrist just looks badly. My opinion, only. When I was doing rubber band magic, I would conceal them in the cuffs of my rolled up sleeves. I work with my sleeves rolled up over the sleeve bottom of my jacket.
As far as the loads for the chop cup, I'd suggest getting ball holders. They pin on to the lining of your jacket and lay nicely...so no pocket needed. I carry a lime around in that manner. For the Jumbo Coin production, I slide mine under my belt. It is tight enough to stay there and easy to retrieve.
Finally, I always buy dress shirt that have a breast pocket. That helps tremendously.
Hope that helps
Patrick [/quote]

Thanks for chiming in Patrick!
I agree with the rubber bands around my wrists. I feel "off" style-wise. And my wrists are the first place people look when I vanish one of the rubber bands when I ditch them.. I interpret your advice to let the pocket space dictate the amount of "stuff" I carry with me. That sounds smart!
Thanks for the tips on the ball holders. But my routine lets me grab the loads when putting the crochet balls in my pocket.. Any advice?
Thanks a lot for the tip on sewing my back pocket! I'll do that!

[quote]On May 5, 2015, MeetMagicMike wrote:
At some point near the end of my event I take a short break and re-load. That way I can end with the Chop Cup or something else special. [/quote]

That's a tip that I will use!! Thanks!

[quote]On May 5, 2015, Theodore Lawton wrote:
I abandoned the 3 sets of 3 idea as soon as I stepped into a real situation to perform. It may work for some, but it's not my style; it seemed way to limiting and was too much to think about.
I would just have about 8-10 things with me that I could do in my sleep and freestyle it from there.
... [/quote]

Thanks Theodore!
The 3x3 principle is of great help to me as it forces me to be more fluid. I have no doubt that I will evolve and not be so stiff, but your point is valid!

[quote]On May 5, 2015, pepka wrote:
Montana, ditch half that stuff! Props that you only do one thing with are of no real use in a strolling situation.

I'm with Theodore. I don't do the 3 sets of 3. I have about 30 working pieces to pick and choose from that I can do with a normal deck, 2 coin sets that go into one purse, a sharpie, my wallet and a separate wallet to carry jokers and stranger cards. I reset as I go from one table to another. In my bag I keep a few extra decks, chop cup, Unshuffled, ring and string, and other odds and ends that if I see a lot of repeat customers I can grab quickly.

Look into finding a copy of the book Pocket Power by Jarle Lierpoll. One of the best books on close up magic. Pocket management, ditching, switching etc. [/quote]

Thanks for chiming in Pepka! I always love your posts!
So now we are getting to the nitty gritty of things..
I would actually love to ditch the phantom deck for example.. But I feel it would really weaken my ACR. But OMG that things takes pocket space. I could switch it with a regular omni deck wich is much more tidy and tight. But you do not use those kind of "one off" gimmicks?
Jarle has been contacted and the book has been ordered. Thanks!

[quote]On May 5, 2015, Dick Oslund wrote:
THEODORE & PEPKA! YES!!!!!!!!!!!

I learned early to "go" with GENERIC props. (rope, ring, two "polys" (not silk) for knots, a few coins,sponge balls & purse frame, TT, etc.) Occasionally, I might have an egg bag.
(snip)
Nate Leipzig's tricks were ALL "closers".

Dick [/quote]

A true advice from a veteran worker!! Thank you so much!

[quote]On May 5, 2015, Zephury wrote:
Cup routines and other things really would take up a lot of room in my pockets, so that's not really a part of my act. However, there's one thing I really think you should try out from this, regardless of rather you want to put in the effort for the color stunner or not if you're interested. It's the Joshua Jay Pro Carrier. I practically carry my whole act with me every day cause I have plenty of space for all my coin stuff and a deck of cards in just a regular pair of pants and the carrier. And ah, I forgot one thing.. a Sharpie in my top left vest pocket!

Good luck. [/quote]

Thank you for taking the time to writing such an elaborate and complete reply. I will defo look into the Color Stunner and I will give the Pro Carrier another go as I already own one.

I love your website by the way! ( http://www.harleysalas.com/) Very classy!

[quote]On May 5, 2015, Michael Baker wrote:
(snip)
Eventually, I became older and wiser (I think). Rather than look for better ways to tote all that junk with me or on me while doing walk-around, I took one of two routes. For strolling gigs (which I don't book at all anymore) I pared down and carried less (again like Patrick mentions), but mostly I focused on building a market and booking gigs where I could do a one-shot close-up show. This way, I could justify working with a small case and still do much of the close-up magic that plays well in the more intimate settings... stuff that one would normally consider a pain to carry around all night long (bulkier props, lousy reset, etc.). [/quote]

Great advice! Thanks!

[quote]On May 5, 2015, TheMightyRicardo wrote:
Hi Montana,
SPatrick and Patrick Flanagan mentioned phone cases or holsters.
Have you looked at Pro Carrier by Joshua Jay?
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/1422
My problem of pocket management is worse than yours since I don't wear a jacket. I only have 4 pants pockets and I don't want to be fumbling for anything.
My carrier goes on my belt instead of a phone and my car keys on a belt clip.
I notice you don't do any bill tricks (I use EB). This goes down well and takes up little space. Do you not do TT tricks?
Since you do sponge balls what about Turbo Stick which leads nicely into sponge balls?
I have loops and some rubber band tricks but haven't performed them yet. Since they don't take up any pocket space I am hoping I can learn to include them.

Richard [/quote]

I found the Pro Carrier to be too small but I'll give it another go!
I sometimes do TT Bill Switch but I find that the effect doesn't go well with my other effects.. I find it hard to get into and hard to transition from. But I tend to use it for "those special moments". But it is really not an effect I can trust to be performing all night long.
EB is something I was very happy with but I find it costs to much to tie up that amount of money.. The cost of making a proper EB in Norwegian currency is aprox $200 and I find it quite difficult to get the gimmick right. But oh my when I used to do it it KILLED! Do you do it?

[quote]On May 5, 2015, Rocky wrote:
Ive done a 2 hour walk around gig with a set of mini lining rings, 2 sponge balls, and an invisible deck. I used to think I needed 20 effects or more when strolling.
I admit to feeling under-prepared when I do a gig, but experience has shown that less can be more based on ones performance style. [/quote]

This pretty much sums up all the responses I've gotten and this is something I will take to heart. Thank you SO MUCH everyone. I'll get straight to it.

And feel free to come with more advice/pointers! This thread has been extremely valuable to me!
Thank you so much!!!
The older I get, the less I feel I need. My job is to be entertaining...not a walking magic shop. Traditionally, here's what I carry...

Deck of Cards
Sharpie Marker
Rubber Bands on Wrist
4 Silver Dollars
Extreme Burn in my Wallet

That is more than enough material for 2-4 hours of strolling magic. Your mileage may vary...
Thanks Christopher!
Can I ask you how your EB is set up? Bills to bills? Clippings to bills?
I find it really hard to construct the gimmick..
I don't have as much experience as many of you, but the one thing I would say is that style is very important. You want to look professionals, and a bulging suit is anything but that. It should be well fitted. That doesn't mean you can't bring large loads though. As mentioned earlier, you can place items under you belt, in holdouts, or a topit. Storage options like aprons and cellphone holsters, are going to make you appear less professional to your clients and bookers.

I would recommend you take a look at Shimshi's penguin live lecture. He doesn't talk about pocket management, but he does talk about style and clothing selection in general, and non of that has stopped him from being successful with the magic he can fit in his pockets.
Hi Montana,
Yes I use EB all the time. To interupt adult groups while strolling I need the powerful impact of EB as an opener.
I use colourful magazine clippings to $10 bills (red in my country). The splashes of colour in the clippings camouflage the edges of the bills. The bills could always be spent in an emergency, so it is an investment, not a loss.
I have thought of re-making it with higher value bills but it does take time and care to make, and the one I have has served me well for over 2 years.

Richard
[quote]On May 5, 2015, Isaach wrote:
I don't have as much experience as many of you, but the one thing I would say is that style is very important. You want to look professionals, and a bulging suit is anything but that. It should be well fitted. That doesn't mean you can't bring large loads though. As mentioned earlier, you can place items under you belt, in holdouts, or a topit. Storage options like aprons and cellphone holsters, are going to make you appear less professional to your clients and bookers.

I would recommend you take a look at Shimshi's penguin live lecture. He doesn't talk about pocket management, but he does talk about style and clothing selection in general, and non of that has stopped him from being successful with the magic he can fit in his pockets. [/quote]

I agree that some things can be too far and take away from your professionalism of which items I will not mention. However, in regards to something like the Pro Carrier, people really don't even see it. It's far from unprofessional and when it is noticed on occasion, they in fact compliment me saying that it seems very professional. Regardless, it's a very useful utility and when you use pockets for ditching, it's not the best to have other items in your pockets in which make clinking sounds.
I don't carry loads but a couple of things that make a difference are jol deck holders; which attached to belw under suit, so they are never seen. A little zippo holder and a couple of dave bonsall's clips for omni deck.

As an added point in relation to final loads. I don't do a chop cup but I do magus capsule. I have also done fireballs by Gary Jones and one thing I discovered by doing this is that size doesn't always matter and people love choclate! For this reason I now do a lime final load but before that I produce a ferrero rochet chocolate which I give to spectator. They are small enough to keep 3 or 4 in your pocket but big enough and shiny so they get noticed. Smaller than two bits of fruit and the spec gets to eat a chocolate.
That's a great idea for a mini cup load.
Ah! That's a great idea! But the chocolate will melt in my "hot pockets"! (couldn't resist..)

To summarize what I should do:
- Ditch the phantom deck, phantom pen and one cup routine. I can do those effects separate at the end of the night for example. "one last round" so to speak.
- Do more with less. What fits in my wallet? A couple of more card routines maybe?

Can someone recommend a good card effect for strolling? I have quite a few under my belt but I really would like a routine that is fairly different than the afore mentioned (dr daleys, acr and triumph..).

Have a great day everybody!
The ferrerro rochet idea wasnt my own; just to be clear; but it really is a great space saver and who doesn't like free chocolate?

I also use to the max so have ice in pockets anyway; but it helps being fairly cool year round in the uk.
[quote]On May 7, 2015, Montana76 wrote:
Ah! That's a great idea! But the chocolate will melt in my "hot pockets"! (couldn't resist..)

To summarize what I should do:
- Ditch the phantom deck, phantom pen and one cup routine. I can do those effects separate at the end of the night for example. "one last round" so to speak.
- Do more with less. What fits in my wallet? A couple of more card routines maybe?

Can someone recommend a good card effect for strolling? I have quite a few under my belt but I really would like a routine that is fairly different than the afore mentioned (dr daleys, acr and triumph..).

Have a great day everybody! [/quote]

The Chicago Opener is one you should definitely look in to. I personally took the original one and modified it a bit. The time the card is originally returned to the deck, I stopped doing it with a hindu. I place the indifferent card once it changes colors under their hand instead of just on the table.. I force the 2nd card with a cull as apposed to that generic hindu force and I do a top change followed by miss calling the card they just picked before giving it a wave and having them change places. Sorry if I'm a little vague, but you may pick up on some of that if you so desire to change it. Otherwise, another great way to go about it is with Pop Haydn's Chicago Surprise.

I also highly recommend a cards to pocket. That always plays big for me. I do it with 2 selections, signed cards and quite a bit more but I wont get in to that. You don't need a whole lot of card tricks, that's for sure.

There's a reason classics are classics.. because they're good. Explore the popular tricks and expand on them. I spent roughly a year researching different principals of magic, trying to come up with unconventional ways to perform with a deck of cards so that I could feel exceptional. However, you don't have to shine with diverse material for magicians or lay men. For both crowds, it's all about the performance and the variation which is what took me a long while to realize. Original tricks is a great thing to aim for, but you shouldn't ignore whats easiest to do. Take all of the classical tricks and expand on them. Come up with variations on method, psychology, adapt moves you know to make it even better and add your own character in to it. Trust me, you get just as much respect or sometimes MORE when you do a trick that all the magicians know but do it differently... Perhaps better than they've ever seen before. Not sure if it bothered you to use tricks that everyone does, but it certainly bothered me. I personally have not been fooled with a card trick in a long time.. I go to 5 magic clubs through out South Florida and I see people perform from all over the world every month. The card tricks rarely fool me and when they do, it doesn't necessarily impress me. What really impresses me are original plots that are expanded on, refined and personalized to someone's character. Take something classic and make it your own.

Hope you understand what I'm talking about.

-Harley
[quote]On May 7, 2015, Montana76 wrote:

Have a great day everybody! [/quote]

Check out this card routine by kostya kimlat around half way in the vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP-rP1UtQvM

I perform this often at gigs and its a great combination of a brainwave style effect/colour changing deck/in hands transpo. It shouldn't be too hard to work out.
[quote]On May 7, 2015, Zephury wrote:

The Chicago Opener is one you should definitely look in to. I personally took the original one and modified it a bit. The time the card is originally returned to the deck, I stopped doing it with a hindu. I place the indifferent card once it changes colors under their hand instead of just on the table.. I force the 2nd card with a cull as apposed to that generic hindu force and I do a top change followed by miss calling the card they just picked before giving it a wave and having them change places. Sorry if I'm a little vague, but you may pick up on some of that if you so desire to change it. Otherwise, another great way to go about it is with Pop Haydn's Chicago Surprise.
[/quote]

James Brown has a similiar handling of the chicago opener, you can see him perform it here > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQxUaVVk8aw
I don't know if I'd do Chicago Opener strolling since I like using a table for this trick. Personal preference, YMMV.

One thing about working as a magician is you do the same tricks hundreds and thousands of times. So the stuff you already have and can do FASDIU is great for strolling. Why exactly do you want to change your routine? I can understand if you are performing for the same people a lot, but otherwise there's no need to switch it up. Unless you want to add variety for yourself, but keep in mind that strolling you won't have a lot of time anyway so only having a couple of card tricks is enough.

These tricks you have are great for strolling:

Dr Daley's last trick
Slop shuffle Triumph- although I like having a table for this for the dramatic final spread!
ACR to Wallet.

Other strolling tricks FASDIU without a table might include:

Twisting the Aces
Two Card Monte
Card to Forehead
The Biddle Trick
Card Warp

Gimmicked packet tricks you could also carry:

Double Back
NFW
B'Wave
Stand Up Monte

You could also stick a 3 1/2 of spades in your deck and have a lot of fun with it!

I also wouldn't ditch the one cup routine. You can get yourself a mini cup and do it all "in the hands." You could use any small cup btw and not have to spend a ridiculous amount on a "magic" prop. Just use some straight cups and balls balls and find some good final loads and you're set.

Just my 2 cents.

Theodore-

:hotcoffee:
@ Montana76,My card opener is almost always John Guastaferro's Optical Opener, a great take on the Chicago Opener (IMHO). Worth looking into for your strolling repertoire!
[quote]On May 7, 2015, Chamberlain wrote:
[quote]On May 7, 2015, Zephury wrote:

[/quote]

James Brown has a similiar handling of the chicago opener, you can see him perform it here > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQxUaVVk8aw [/quote]

I hadn't seen James Brown's before. I do really like the way he's done it though, it has a couple similarities with mine but still isn't quite the same. I really do like how he starts it off though, that part really made it in to something new.

As to Theodore, if you're talking to me about changing tricks... It's because I personally think that when most people take something right out of a book or DVD directly, those tricks lack the style and character of the performer. I always ask myself, if this really were magic, how would I handle the cards and how would I present it? Forgetting all aspects of someone else's performance style, how would I personally do it? It's kind of hard for me to explain but I think it's important to not only put your own character in to your magic but also to be proud of it. Revising routines and effects to fit my character and my personal preference on use of sleights, gives me a great feeling when I finally accomplish what I've aimed to do. It gives me more confidence in the tricks as well because they feel like ME. It's not something everyone has to do, but I do think it's worth trying out if it seems like these sort of feelings might apply to you. There are no set rules on how to present your magic or structure your routines, everyone is different.
I was speaking to Montana about changing his current set.

But I agree with you about making tricks "your own."
Had a large corporate banquet last night. they didn't have a regular standup cocktail hour. So it was all table hopping. And with 25 tables or so, I only had time for 1 or 2 effects per table. All I used the whole evening was Hopping half & Samoya (in my vest pocket), some robber bands around my wrist. A deck of cards in my left jacket pocket (Red hot Mama/Chicago opener into CTW), Don Alan mini chop cup in my right coat pocket, and a set of sponge balls in my trouser pockets. That was it. The applause from the first table made the rest of the evening a non stop blur.
To answer your question about a good card effect. Stand Up Monte, learn it, love it. It's such a tight fit and strong routine it's worth a breast pocket for.

I always have the same problem, I have so many effects I just love to use that I carry a little heavy. This is what I'm going to with at a Cocktail Party setting.

To carry and put in the back for the end of the night: Crown royal bag with an Animal Trap.

Right inner jacket pocket: In A Flash deck
Left inner jacket pocket: Anniversary Waltz Cards/Sharpie
Left breast pocket: Stand Up Monte
Left Jacket Pocket: Omni Deck

Left Pocket: QB 3.0/1 Spongeball/Lighter (Warning! and for Torched and Restored.
Right Pocket: 1 Sponge ball
Right back pocket: Deck Case and Cards for Torched and Restored.
Montana,
here is a nice card effect that takes advantage of a cocktail walk around situation. Many times, at least one of the spectator's hands are occupied with a drink. Check out Simon Lovell's "The Famed Two Card and Glass Juggle". You can find it in Jim Sisti's "Magic Menu...The First Five Years" page 248. He, also, refers to it as "Fingered Number Two" which I believe is in "Simon Says".
I've had performed this for many years, and for some reason stopped doing it. I just happened to revisit it recently, and I was quite happy that it still gets great reactions.
Also, it requires very basic sleight of hand.
By the way, if you don't have all of the Magic Menus......stop reading now, and go buy them.
patrick
[quote]On May 5, 2015, Montana76 wrote:
Thanks Christopher!
Can I ask you how your EB is set up? Bills to bills? Clippings to bills?
I find it really hard to construct the gimmick.. [/quote]

1s to 100s
[quote]On May 4, 2015, patrick flanagan wrote:
Montana,
Hope that helps
Patrick [/quote]

Which ball holder do you recommend?
He means one you buy at the sporting goods store for tennis balls.
Message: Posted by: Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse (Aug 24, 2016 01:46PM)
Would definitely look into something to help you carry all that if you can't trimmed it down
If you want to carry 3 sets...look into a nice, small case.
Dress pants have 4 to 5 pockets. My jackets all have 5 pockets. And one top pocket in my dress shirt. So I always have at least 10 pockets. One trick n each pocket. Plenty of magic to do walk around for hours.
The problem with clothes and pockets is that they are not often meant to have things in them, much less magic effects.

The jacket eventually looks silly hanging on you if it is weighted down with all sorts of things. Jacket pockets are sewn shut usually because in fact they are often intended to be decorative as having heavy things in them tends to break the lines of the jacket. I have seen MANY a magician show up at a table looking frumpy and rumpled because of being loaded down.

I only offer this as perspective and caution, not criticism. Just be aware of it is all I am offering.
I have found over the years that a nice messenger bag frees up a lot of pocket space. I have a COACH bag that fits all environments.
A simple small bag for up to three card decks and some other small things is the little camera bag (Nano V) for your belt from Manfrotto:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B004PYCYHY/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
For 12,99 Euro you cannot go wrong.
Pics:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jxr5t4smudqg6c9/carrier_bag1.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bn8otphzi4drvin/carrier_bag2.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r8wptjtctxy6md9/carrier_bag3.JPG?dl=0
[quote]On Jul 8, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
The problem with clothes and pockets is that they are not often meant to have things in them, much less magic effects.

The jacket eventually looks silly hanging on you if it is weighted down with all sorts of things. Jacket pockets are sewn shut usually because in fact they are often intended to be decorative as having heavy things in them tends to break the lines of the jacket. I have seen MANY a magician show up at a table looking frumpy and rumpled because of being loaded down.

I only offer this as perspective and caution, not criticism. Just be aware of it is all I am offering. [/quote]

I agree and that is a very important point. I agree 100% that appearances are everything. One way to avoid saggy suits is to dry clean often. I have a great dry cleaner that does my suits on site. A good quality suit will hold up to repeated dry cleaning. And then replace it when it looks bad.

And have SEVERAL jackets when you are doing daily shows. Wear a different jacket every day over the course of a daily trade show. It makes each one last a lot longer. Even if you can only get two suits, two suits worn every other day will last longer than 2 individual suits worn one at a time.

I've worn every apron, belt purse, fanny sack, ect over the last 50 years. They looked good at the time. Today they look bad when you are wearing a nice suit. And of course it depends on your character and the type of gig. I am still open to wearing an apron or bag working outside in very hot weather. When it is too hot and humid for a jacket. I just have not found a new around the waist bag that will work for me.

Just from my experience. Dry clean often, buy new often, shine your shoes before every gig, and eat a breath mint before every gig.

ACE :dance:
Don't dismiss the thought of having a strolling pouch. The ambitious card has a wonderful strolling pouch that can carry stuff. Also take a look at Joshua Jay's pro carrier. His new one can fit two decks coins and packet trick.

The new one doesn't go into a belt loop but clips to the top of your pants. This should free up your pockets until you're ready to perform I. E. Phantom deck.

Also consider what I saw someone earlier post with adding pockets if you perform with a jacket. Helps tremendously. If your using a medium size chop cup instead of the minis (ivuse mini so I don't have to take up any table space with any of my effects), you can use ball holders that clip to the inside of your jacket.when I perform my stand up chop cup with baseball loads, I use clips.

Hope this helps a little.id be curious to know what you do and come up with!
If this helps, here's my pocket strategy.

Top outer jacket pocket, 10 sets of dupes for the transpo.
Left inner breast pocket, rebel note wallet for card to wallet with a sharpie clipped. Also has EB in it. With volition on business cards.
Right inner breast pocket, cell phone
Left outer pocket phantom deck
Right outer pocket, deck of cards

Left pants pocket, rope
Right pants pocket, Don Alan mini chop with loads
Left back, 3.5 inch ring, ring and rope
Right back, extra piece for ring and rope. Level one

On pants, pro carrier, had ID as an out/extra effect, triad coins when I'm ready to perform. I don't carry any packet tricks.

Some people will see this as not enough, but I try not to carry tricks that can only be done once. Exception of ring and rope and triad coins.

Set one : card visual force to revelation
Right into arc d triumph
Close out with phantom deck

Set two: ring and rope
Chop cup
Torn and restored

Set 3: extreme burn
Volition
3 phase act to card to envelope.

The last set in particular is all condensed into my everyday wallet which looks beautiful and functional for a deceiving card to wallet.
[quote]On Jul 25, 2019, Acecardician wrote:
[quote]On Jul 8, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:

I only offer this as perspective and caution, not criticism. Just be aware of it is all I am offering. [/quote]

I agree and that is a very important point. I agree 100% that appearances are everything. One way to avoid saggy suits is to dry clean often. I have a great dry cleaner that does my suits on site. A good quality suit will hold up to repeated dry cleaning. And then replace it when it looks bad.

And have SEVERAL jackets when you are doing daily shows. Wear a different jacket every day over the course of a daily trade show. It makes each one last a lot longer. Even if you can only get two suits, two suits worn every other day will last longer than 2 individual suits worn one at a time.

I've worn every apron, belt purse, fanny sack, ect over the last 50 years. They looked good at the time. Today they look bad when you are wearing a nice suit. And of course it depends on your character and the type of gig. I am still open to wearing an apron or bag working outside in very hot weather. When it is too hot and humid for a jacket. I just have not found a new around the waist bag that will work for me.

Just from my experience. Dry clean often, buy new often, shine your shoes before every gig, and eat a breath mint before every gig.

ACE :dance: [/quote]

One note. When you dry clean it breaks down fabric. Even realky great fabric. It wears out much faster.

I would recommend having them pressed often as opposed to dry cleaning often.

Obviously they need to be cleaned properly, no argument. Just be careful is all.
Knowing several card tricks that are From A Shuffled Deck In Use can sure ease the worries of pocket management. I have learned that. There are plenty of strong ones out there. Plus if you happen to slip up on a trick (which will happen on the odd occasion) you can brush it aside and immediately go into another trick. Running to the bathroom or some sparsely populated corner of the restaurant to reset gimmicks is a hassle. Sponge balls are great in a restaurant setting and (depending on your routine) require little pocket management. Also, in the hands tricks are preferred so you can work lines if necessary. Though I'm sure that is not a big revelation to most workers.
Yes! Thanks Dannydoyle. That is what I meant, "Pressed"! AT the Drycleaners. I only actually "dry clean" every once in a while.

ACE :clownjuggling:
[quote]On Aug 2, 2019, Acecardician wrote:
Yes! Thanks Dannydoyle. That is what I meant, "Pressed"! AT the Drycleaners. I only actually "dry clean" every once in a while.

ACE :clownjuggling: [/quote]

Yes sir it does help. I can not iron worth a darn so I have things pressed often.