(Close Window)
Topic: Paper Clips
After visiting Staples some time ago I have had it in my head to do a routine just involving paper clips. Staples carries a line of color vinyl coated clips in three sizes and another like it in anodized metal. Most of the time you see paper clips as a prop in another genre, such as a clipped card effect, or limited effects like bending the clip. What I had in mind was a series of effects forming a complete mini-routine involving the clips as the main focus. Produce a paper clip. Transform a paper clip to a different size. Change the color. Vanish the clip. Produce the clip from an unexpected place again. End clean.

I have looked at various books, videos and routines and didn't come up with many good routines to incorporate. I just came across a good downloadable by a guy named Jibri Taylor on Theory11 (http://www.theory11.com/wire/jibri-taylor/) that has five routines in it for the princely sum of $2US! I don't have it all worked out yet, but he has given me some good paths to follow. Just thought I would pass this info along, and if anyone has any other ideas they would be welcome, too.
2 in the Hand, 1 in the Pocket type routines come to mind, ending with perhaps a mini stapler or jumbo paper clip.
There is a z fold Dollar linking paperclip effect .

Here is a link to the effect I'm talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCRRqPYIWsY

Bruce Cervon had it on one of his videos. I thought it was a kiddie trick but I've found that with a good presentation it plays very well.
I do perform it more for Kids than Adults but it plays well for Adults too. Mine is a "Gypsy" test of future friendship but anything that involves the audience in how far apart the clips land when they hit the table will work.

There is a mental effect that uses a paper clip to force an outcome but I'm not sure you'd want to draw attention to the clip. It can be done with a large clip to show from a distance.
The bigger the clip the easier it is to fabricate. I don't do it much now but when I did, it when over great.

It involves running a clip down the edge of a paper to stop on a "random" word in a list.

If you want that sort of thing PM me and I'll elaborate.

Jay Sankey has a very fine effect out called Paperclipped (I think it used to be called #@&*$ or something like that).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SIM5DmI7sY

-Mary Mowder
Hi Mary, a Navy friend in the early '50s, Gaylord Hill, published that paper clip "Z" fold in the "PHOENIX" MAGAZINE.
I knew it was not invented by Bruce and I must say I was surprised to see him put it in a video project.
It needs a good presentation(what effect doesn't?)

Since then I've gained respect for the effect. Did Gaylord Hill invent it?

-Mary
[quote]On May 22, 2015, Mary Mowder wrote:
I knew it was not invented by Bruce and I must say I was surprised to see him put it in a video project.
It needs a good presentation(what effect doesn't?)

Since then I've gained respect for the effect. Did Gaylord Hill invent it?

-Mary [/quote]

It's credited to W Bowman in Bruce Elliott's "The Best in Magic".

Barry
Thank you Barry.

-Mary Mowder
I know this is not the same ideal your looking for but you should check out bentley I think its called a bending paper clip trick.
Harry Lorayne have two clip tricks in his Himber Wallet book. (Of course then you need to have a Himber wallet, but who doesn't?). :-)

Mikael Johansson
Sweden
There's also Ken de Courcy's "Linklip", which seems to be easily obtainable on both sides of The Pond.

Barry