(Close Window)
Topic: Becoming an illusionist
Hi,

My favorite magician is David Copperfield. As you know Copperfield is big on illusion magic. I would like to know what would be the stating point of someone who would want to be an illusionist. I know that Copperfield have big money to create his stage props.

I know this is going to be difficult. All the experience I have right now is buying magic kits "tricks" off ebay. They're fun but they don't teach you to do your own stuff.

Magician think off their own next big ticks. I'm a beginner I could never do that. For exemple one day Copperfield decided to go throught the great wall of china. Of course he hid in the stairs but still.
I would suggest that you start by reading and re-reading David Seebach's book "So You Want to Be an Illusionist". This will give you a really good idea of what you will be getting yourself into.

Once you have studied this book, come back here for advice.
Magic is an interesting hobby, people can join no matter they are 3 or 103 years old. Buying a magic set is a good start to taste some simple magic tricks.

In the 21st century, just a click and you can access to unlimited magic effects, from close up to grand illusion, legal or not, from a dollar to grands, it all depends.

Your example reference about David Copperfield, well the Legend start to learn stage magic like manipulation as well and perform to LIVE audience years before he got his first TV special back in late 70's.

So the answer to your question in my opinion is, read as much books on magic as you can, perform as much magic as you can no matter stage or close up magic, by all means join IBM / SAM and attend their monthly meeting to know the industry inside out. Then attend magic convention and talk to those masters of magic and LISTEN. You will eventually learn how to be a PERFORMER.

I have a few brothers in magic already appeared on TV close up magic special, celebrity magicians, one of them had a chance once as the backstage for David Blaine stage show in Malaysia. It all came from a dream to be a magician. As for myself I have learn magic since 01 and magic brought me knowledge, friendship, opportunities as magic consultant / assistant for TV specials, FISM contestant backstage and much more experience that normal people never had in their lives.

Hope it helps.

Remember, never stop dreaming, and just do it.

Sincerely,