(Close Window)
Topic: Sew-On by Roddie Mcghie
Just ordered today, no demo, putting my trust in Roddie because of how good Flux was, anyone seen this or can speak of it?

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/5693

From the sound of it it sounds like a nice opener for strolling.
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uUU576_vJo

You have a review here by the greats TNT :)
Those guys make me want to spend money. Arggghhhhh!!!!
Looks great. Two more things to buy now.
James
Doesn't look bad at all, glad I made the buy.
I have it, it's very good
This was a buzz at Blackpool...really cool! Fooled me!
Fooled me too and I bought it a Blackpool. There is a little bit about the reset that makes less than perfect (in my opinion) for strolling. But its a very good trick
Trailer is up at Penguin! Looks awesome!
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/5693
Anyone know how is the set up? I like the looks of it!
Looks great. Buying for sure. But the set up looks easy if its what I think it is.
Can any type of shirt be used?
Michael
Looks amazing, Roddie is definately a great thinker !
I saw this at Blackpool and it fooled me badly. I told Roddy not to tell me how it was done as I wanted to give it some thought. Michael Weber told me "If you think of 100 methods it will be the last one on the list you'd think of." It's very clever.

Tim
Trailer not the best, particularly the 'jump' when the baggie is place on his shirt. But, based on 'Flux', I ordered Sew-On as well. Will review once it arrives and I've had a chance to work with it.
I got it in the mail today and got through the DVD.

As you know there is one "big" setup and you are set :)

The reset for the effect I wouldn't mind doing in front of people as they wouldn't know what I'm doing, it would take less than 20 seconds jumping from one area to the other.

I really enjoyed the talk near the end of the dvd, yes this can be a "look at me" kind of effect but it won't be as strong, I like his performance with the presentation of a blind man putting his buttons in various places to determine the color, nice premise for this.

Comes with everything you need to do it, even what you need to sew the button on.

Will take a small amount of practice to get the choreography down so everything looks smooth.

The button and thread penetrate the bag and end up on your shirt, bag can be examined. You then visibly change the location of the button, it reads just like it is.

I really enjoy this and can't wait to do it.

Highly Recommended.
Is this really any good ? Had massive hype at Blackpool I saw 10 magicians I know buy it and as we go to press I haven't heard of one of them performing it as of yet or mention it since ? So my feeling is its either one of those put on the back burner effects as can't be bothered to set up or not that great they can't be hassled to ruin a suit over ? What's the real deal anyone honestly please !
[quote]On Jun 12, 2015, Tarik Flash wrote:
Is this really any good ? Had massive hype at Blackpool I saw 10 magicians I know buy it and as we go to press I haven't heard of one of them performing it as of yet or mention it since ? So my feeling is its either one of those put on the back burner effects as can't be bothered to set up or not that great they can't be hassled to ruin a suit over ? What's the real deal anyone honestly please ! [/quote]

To be honest, it's probably the laziness of not wanting to sew a single button :) It's really good, if you like what you see in the demo then it's the effect for you, the performance and setup or nice and easy.
Thank you Blindside785
Also, if those 10 magicians are performing pros, it can sometimes take time to work something new into your act. All their present routines are probably timed with everything flowing from one to the next smoothly. It usually takes some thought and rearranging to get a new routine in.

Just a thought!

Jim
[quote]On Jun 12, 2015, Blindside785 wrote:
To be honest, it's probably the laziness of not wanting to sew a single button :) It's really good, if you like what you see in the demo then it's the effect for you, the performance and setup or nice and easy. [/quote]

Sew on a single button? I think I can do that, since my wife rarely does it for me!! :-) Shipped by Penguin on Friday, so I should have it Monday or Tuesday.
Just received it today. The method is truly ingenious! Will be working with it shortly, but given the simplicity of the method can't imagine that I'll have any problems with this. Roddie truly is a creative guy...
Surprised that this effect hasn't gotten more play on this thread. This one's a real fooler, and SO easy to perform.
Love this trick.

I set it up on my t-shirt and cardigan instead of jacket for Summer weather and it work out fine.
[quote]On Aug 5, 2015, bghost wrote:
Love this trick.

I set it up on my t-shirt and cardigan instead of jacket for Summer weather and it work out fine. [/quote]

I'm using it on an 'open' type sweat shirt, and it KILLS! Women particularly respond to this one...
Does anyone know where to get the g**e pen that was used? or something similar? I can't find it anywhere
Message: Posted by: somethingupmysleeve (Feb 14, 2016 04:52PM)
Thanks for ressurecting this thread - I'm a little late to the party, but this reminded of how interested I was when it
first came out, so I've just purchased it. Excited to see how this one goes!
[quote]On Feb 13, 2016, Schism wrote:
Does anyone know where to get the g**e pen that was used? or something similar? I can't find it anywhere [/quote]
Did you not purchase the DVD?
This is great for the casual moments. Can't picture myself doing this in a gig.
Message: Posted by: somethingupmysleeve (Feb 15, 2016 04:33PM)
[quote]On Feb 15, 2016, Magic McKing wrote:
This is great for the casual moments. Can't picture myself doing this in a gig. [/quote]

That's exactly what I bought this for. The 'impromptu' seeming "have a look at this" type of effect.
This one is an hidden gem. I can't believe it fall so much under the radar when it was release. Mainly I think because of a bad trailer and laziness of people that don't want to sew a button. If you liked bag 4 Life, then this one is bag 4 Life on steroids!
Wow! Just got this today, and was delighted! Reminds me of something Michael Carbonero might do on his show.

I had hoped it didn't use pulls or threads (well, not sewing thread, but the other kind) and I was glad to find out it sure does not. In fact, the method is drop dead easy.

I haven't worked with it yet, but from the DVD I can tell it will be a no brainer. Nothing complicated in any way.

The part that really impressed me was the discussion at the end of the DVD with Roddy And David Forrest. They discuss in great detail every presentation angle you can even think of. After watching and absorbing, you are well on your way to being a master of this beautiful effect.

I can see this as a follow up (or a prelude) to the Sankey effect where a sewed button appears on the center of a selected card. I'm trying to remember the name of that effect. I made one up. I used it, but the title of the effect slips my mind.