(Close Window)
Topic: How to have "Strong Magic"
I've had "Strong Magic" by Darwin Ortiz since November of last year and have spent time studying it extensively. Though I'm no seasoned professional, I don't think any pros will disagree with me; I'm HIGHLY recommending this book to ANYONE that performs magic. Beginner, Hobbyist, Profession, regardless of who you are. This book isn't only explaining the psychology of how to win over every audience and perfect your presentation, it explains how to actually apply it and DO IT (Something that other books may lack) Darwin has put in little projects throughout the book, challenging you to do something and review your material in order to ensure you're performing at your fullest potential.

Before I got this book, I thought I knew how to present magic and I'm sure many of you do too. But I seriously cannot stress enough how much thinking this book can make ANYONE do. I often read just one or two pages and spend the following DAYS just thinking about what I read and really analyzing the thoughts he expresses and realizing how much it makes sense. I then spend all that time applying it to myself and my magic.

I think this book is one of the single most valuable purchases anyone can make for their magic. This is your one stop "shop" for EVERYTHING presentation wise in magic. Darwin literally covers EVERYTHING in thorough detail and leaves nothing uncovered. Absolutely nothing.

No one has encouraged me to write this review and Darwin has no idea I'm posting this here. I simply wish I'd read a post like this and LISTENED on the very first day I signed up to the Café.

As I intend to devote my whole life to magic, one day when I have students of my own, this will be the "text book" of which I require them to read.

There is no better investment in your magic that you could make.

Go to Darwin and buy this book. He'll even autograph it for you. I'm sure my autograph isn't one of a kind and I'm sure it comes this way for just about everyone but it holds meaning:

"To Harley Salas. Remember, the only kind of magic worth doing is STRONG magic. Sincerely, Darwin Ortiz"

-Harley Salas

To get this book, you'll have to email Darwin, then you can get his Paypal email and send him the money. Once you do that, he'll send it right out.
His email is DarwinOrtiz@aol.com I believe it ran me $50 but it was well worth every penny.
I concur, Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz in required reading for any magician and I consider it one of the most valuable volumes I own. His principles of adding conviction, suspense, surprise and other emotions into your magic is in my opinion are the most valuable part of the book.

Magically

Aus
I always do hear high remarks for this book, and yet Mr. Ortiz' own presentations I personally do not enjoy at all. I think that makes me skeptical although I highly highly respect Mr. Ortiz' for his abilities and great thoughtfulness.

It is on my list, but not at the top....at least right now.

Greenknight
Green, for a long time I really agreed with you. However I believe Darwin may not necessarily be the best performer on video where as he's just showing tons and tons of tricks that he knows. What he is doing on those DvD's is not his working material I don't believe and to mention others have said that when they read Strong Magic, they couldn't believe he was the actual writer of that book because they too thought his DVD's were boring. You should really discredit that thought because this book and those tapes have absolutely no correlation. I'm sure many others will agree.

One of his students, Jason Ladanye is known for apparently having the same style as Darwin (for good reason!) and his videos are newer with much better production quality and in my opinion properly convey some of the things Darwin teaches about presentation. Just as Aus mentioned, conviction, suspense, surprise, emotion but also CLARITY with effects that are truly inconceivable.

http://youtube.com/user/CardMagicByJason/

Strong Magic should absolutely be at the top of your list! If you ever read it, you'll see why.
I've noticed a few magic dealers seem to have this title back in stock now. It won't be autographed, but it may be less expensive.
Message: Posted by: Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse (Jul 18, 2015 12:10AM)
I'm reading strong magic now and love it.