(Close Window)
Topic: Pit Hartling's New Book - In Order To Amaze
Hi guys! Here to share the great news of Pit Hartling's up and coming book, "In Order To Amaze".

It would be a collection of 21 memorized deck routine, and just 3 of them requires the use of Tamariz's Stack.

Book will be out this autumn, so do keep a lookout for that. Can't wait for this to come out, as well as Woody Aragon's Memorandum. Great year for Mem Deck users.

http://www.inordertoamaze.com/#content
Hartling always delivers. Looking very much forward to his new oeuvre!
Great news ! ;)
Oboy, this is great news. The book is now on my wish-list.
Thanks for the notice!
Message: Posted by: Pasteboard Alchemist (Jul 14, 2015 09:26AM)
I'm waiting with bated breath for this! So few books dedicated (at least in a major part) to stack work are released that when something like this comes along I can't help but jump on it.
+1
Been a fan of Pit and his Mem work for a while. Ironically, I just wrote myself a reminder to look into this when it's released...Very interested to pick up a copy!
I'm also looking forward to it. I like to perform "the Core" in small groups and eager to learn the other ideas.
Pit lectured at this past 4F on material within in the book. Sadly, I had an emergency to deal with and missed it..It was one the most talked about parts of the convention though!
I may be having a blonde moment...

So 3 tricks require Tamariz's stack while the rest can be done with any stack? That means everything can be done with Tamariz's stack?
Yes, that's the idea ;-) Good news isn't it ?
Message: Posted by: Pasteboard Alchemist (Sep 10, 2015 04:34PM)
Still checking my email daily for an update on this. I don't suppose anyone has heard anything?
A message from Pit "Hi Simon! Good to hear from you; how are you?

The book is written, the photos taken. Currently proofreading. Then: Layout, printing, done! Another few weeks, depending on the printer. I'll let you know 😊

Merci, mon ami! 😊"
Any information on the price yet ?
I expect it to be priceless. :vcool:
So it's on the torrents already?
Do you know if this effect from the book, Poker Formulas, is stack-specific or not?

https://youtu.be/v1PuKN-w4-s
One more book to add to my wish list.
[quote]On Oct 2, 2015, doriancaudal wrote:
Do you know if this effect from the book, Poker Formulas, is stack-specific or not?

https://youtu.be/v1PuKN-w4-s [/quote]

Funny; I discovered the video yesterday and had exactly the same question. If it is stack dependend it might be interesting trying to adapt for another stack.
Welp better put some money aside now for when it comes out ...
The Poker Formula was originally designed fore the Tamariz stack, but Pit & his friend Denis Behr have developed a system for any stack
You feed in your favoured stack and the formulas will be generated.
I think the Tamariz stack will give you wider flexibility
Thanks rjs for this information, good news for me as I'm a Tamariz stack addict too ;-)
I attended Pit Hurtling's Memorised Deck workshop in Manchester, England in May, 2014.

The final trick, Poker Formula, was one of the most memorable card tricks I'd ever witnessed.
It left me stunned. It was impossible. How could this be done?

The magician claims he can deal himself a winning hand in a game of poker.
He produces a ludicrous sheet of printed formulas. He guarantees that he can achieve the impossible.
What value do you want? We chose a full house.
What values do you want in this full house? We chose 7s & Jacks.
Do you want three 7s & two Jacks? Or three Jacks and two 7s?
To be difficult, I chose the former, which is a weaker hand, but I calculated that this choice might throw Pit off.
And how many players would you like? Four.
Perfect!
Pit then went into a surrealistic sequence. He mimicked doing things to the deck, but was clearly not doing anything at all!
He then dealt out the hands to the four imaginary players.
He turned over his five cards: it was the full house we’d asked for - 7,7,7,J,J.
No way!
[quote]On Oct 3, 2015, rjs wrote:
He mimicked doing things to the deck, but was clearly not doing anything at all! [/quote]
:angel:
[quote]On Oct 2, 2015, doriancaudal wrote:

https://youtu.be/v1PuKN-w4-s [/quote]
What an entertaining routine!
[quote]On Oct 3, 2015, rjs wrote:
I attended Pit Hurtling's Memorised Deck workshop in Manchester, England in May, 2014.

The final trick, Poker Formula, was one of the most memorable card tricks I'd ever witnessed.
It left me stunned. It was impossible. How could this be done?

The magician claims he can deal himself a winning hand in a game of poker.
He produces a ludicrous sheet of printed formulas. He guarantees that he can achieve the impossible.
What value do you want? We chose a full house.
What values do you want in this full house? We chose 7s & Jacks.
Do you want three 7s & two Jacks? Or three Jacks and two 7s?
To be difficult, I chose the former, which is a weaker hand, but I calculated that this choice might throw Pit off.
And how many players would you like? Four.
Perfect!
Pit then went into a surrealistic sequence. He mimicked doing things to the deck, but was clearly not doing anything at all!
He then dealt out the hands to the four imaginary players.
He turned over his five cards: it was the full house we’d asked for - 7,7,7,J,J.
No way! [/quote]

That sounds fantastic! I can't wait for the book...any one know a time frame?
The layout is currently being done. So, shouldn't be too far away now!
[quote]On Oct 4, 2015, Denis Behr wrote:
The layout is currently being done. So, shouldn't be too far away now! [/quote]

That's fantastic news! Thanks Denis for the update!
Pit told me that the plan is to have it some time later this year :)

Can't wait !
Poker formula won't be an easy routine. Watching the performance video, there was a fair amount of second dealing!
Poker Formula worths every single penny if it really includes in the book.
I still remembered the first time I saw Denis Behr did that in his workshop, and I was totally shock.

Wish the book will come out very soon!!

- Arthur
Excited and on the list
Can't wait....gotta have his book! Just added my name to his list. His routines are wonderfully crafted and very entertaining. I love the formula list he uses when dealing a random poker hand determined by the audience.
Message: Posted by: Pasteboard Alchemist (Nov 7, 2015 11:52AM)
I don't suppose anyone's heard an update on this, have they? Very anxious for this one...
The material in the book is fantastic; I was lucky enough to proof read it. The effects are all extremely thought out with all of the subtleties that show Pit has really put the work in. These routines are all tried and tested and would fit right into your mem deck repertoires. Just like Pit's last book, I can't talk highly enough about his material.
Just an update on when the book will arrive.

Pit's site has been updated with a new release window of "Winter 2015", which probably means December.

Time to get excited for this and December can't come any sooner now!
I asked hin yesterday via Email and he said it will probably be available in January
I hope it's ready by the Session?
Message: Posted by: Pasteboard Alchemist (Nov 17, 2015 02:18PM)
Looks like I'm going to have to figure out something else to go on my Xmas list for the little lady, then. At least I'll be able to treat myself come January. :)

And if I wasn't excited before (which I was), I'm even more excited seeing Doug McKenzie's stamp of approval on it. I don't think I've ever seen anybody impress me with stack work as much as he has, so if he's amazed then I'm certain I'll be bowled over.
Any news on this?
[quote]On Nov 22, 2015, mattH wrote:
Any news on this? [/quote]

I was confirmed by Pit that IOTA will be ready for sale in January 2016.
[quote]On Nov 7, 2015, Doug McKenzie wrote:
The material in the book is fantastic; I was lucky enough to proof read it. The effects are all extremely thought out with all of the subtleties that show Pit has really put the work in. These routines are all tried and tested and would fit right into your mem deck repertoires. Just like Pit's last book, I can't talk highly enough about his material. [/quote]

Hey Doug...any favorite routines you've been using from this? Just curious on anything specific you've enjoyed using. Cant wait to pick up a copy.
The book really has something for everyone. Gambling effects, concepts that will fool other magicians, and some real workers. I always lean to the latter category.

Picking my 3 favorites would be hard, but I really do like:

The Heavyweight
The Human Scale outdone: Sense how many cards they cut – even before they cut!

Just like that!
»Teach me a trick!« You do, they succeed - and they have no idea how they did it!

Identity
A triple back and forth change of random cards into a named quartet. Highly visual (and rumoured to get screams!)
Heavyweight sounds awesome. Cant wait to read the thinking behind that one. Hoping we getting a release date soon.
Any updates ?
I was talking to Pit around two weeks ago, and here is his reply:

"..... Here's the state of affairs: The work is complete and all corrections done! The printers don't work over the holidays and start only the beginning of January, and I am told production itself (printing and binding) takes 5-6 weeks. So... I am waiting myself 😅"

Hope it helps!
-Arthur
Has anyone seen Pit Hartling's YouTube page? Several of the effects from the book appear to be on his channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/PitHartling
Waiting ever so impatiently :)
Pit just annonced on his Facebook that the book is now ready to be shipped!
Definitely not ready to be shipped!

Pit went to the printers today to check the proofs. The book is now ready to be printed, not shipped.

They told Pit, that the books will be finished middle/end of February.

Shahin
Pit tweeted the following:

“In Order to Amaze” will be ready in 5 weeks. Here is the current state of affairs ;-) #IOTA http://inordertoamaze.com
Cannot wait for this...
How much will it cost?

I lookforward to this book - memdeck magic is very fun and makes a strong impact.
No price at the moment. since the book will arrive in 4 weeks, the price will be annonced soon.
Any news?
Can we buy this from any dealer or can we only buy the book from P. Hartling´s website?
The most recent news I've seen was on Pit's FB on 02/08/2016:

Counting down till the appearance of "In Order to Amaze". Here are some technical details:

- Hardcover, linen weave, embossed cover.
- Format to match "Card Ficitions"
- 252 pages
- 150+ photographs
- Full colour printing
Price: € 52 + postage.
If you wish to receive a notification as soon as the book is available, send an email with the subject "In Order to Amaze" to info@pithartling.de

For contents and further info see http://inordertoamaze.com/.
Orders will begin in the middle of next week ;) Yeah !
The time has come, as of now you can order the book from pits website, earlier this afternoon he updated the orderpage.

http://www.inordertoamaze.com/#order

shahin
I ordered it as soon as I saw the mail. I'm really excited!
Me too!!!!!!
I've seen the poker formula live, performed by Pit himself. It absolutely kills. Can't wait for the book to arrive!
Hello guys,

I did receive mine! Since Pit and I live in the same town, went to school together and have been friends ever since I might be biased, but I have seen all the material performed live at paying gigs.

I do love most of the routines some are not my cup of tea, but Pit is a master at making the strangest routines fun and engaging! You will not only find great card tricks but also great ideas for presentations!

Have a fun read!
Does anyone know which effects are Mnemonica dependent?
Got mine a couple of days ago. Very nice quality, content and signed by the master too. :-)
[quote]On Feb 28, 2016, BrandonWilliams wrote:
Does anyone know which effects are Mnemonica dependent? [/quote]
Pit states that the "vast majority of the effects in this book work with any memorized order."

IIRC, he himself uses the Tamariz stack anyway.
His site clearly states:
A wide range of original effects, plots and methods for the memorized deck (of the twenty-one routines, three require the Tamariz Stack)...
Poker Formulas is a great effect... I have adapted it to the stack I use thanks to the wonderful tool created by Denis Behr !

This book is a new Bible :)
[quote]On Mar 4, 2016, doriancaudal wrote:
Poker Formulas is a great effect... I have adapted it to the stack I use thanks to the wonderful tool created by Denis Behr !

This book is a new Bible :) [/quote]

What tool is that?

Best,
Jed
[quote]On Mar 4, 2016, JBSmith1978 wrote:
[quote]On Mar 4, 2016, doriancaudal wrote:

This book is a new Bible :) [/quote]

What tool is that?

Best,
Jed [/quote]

It is described in the book.
[quote]It is described in the book. [/quote]

Sweet, looking forward to reading it.

Best,
Jed
Any reviews?
I just got this last night, and haven't had too much time to read it yet, but I've read through the first two effects, and so far I'm loving every page of it. I have no doubt that this will be a treasured book in the library of any memorized deck magician in the years to come. I haven't been this excited about a new magic book in a long while, so this has been a real treat to read so far.
I just ordered it to Texas as well.

Cant wait to get it.

Sgtgrey, how long did it take to get to you in Austin, from the time you ordered until delivery?

Thanks

Alex
I was probably one of the first to order, and I got it March 4th, so 10 business days, roughly. I have since read through it and re-read parts and I am still digesting it, but this is a fantastic addition to the library of memorized deck magic. These are thoroughly tested effects, not pipe dreams. I was even surprised at how easy poker formulas was to perform, even though I likely won't get many opportunities to do it. Enjoy!
Let me add - I am thoroughly enjoying this book. I think this will end up a classic and is clearly one of the best I've read in years.
I'd second that. It is really one of the best books on card magic I've read in years. I especially enjoy the Quartet chapter.
Such a great book, been rereading it constantly
I agree with all of you - I've re-read it already multiple times. The quartet stuff really got my creative juices going. Now I'm feeling a little sheepish I hadn't put in the time to memorize the distance numbers yet, considering I've owned Denis' books for years! Time to get cracking, I guess. This book deserves a place on the shelf next to Bound to Please and Mnemonica.
[quote]On Mar 15, 2016, sgtgrey wrote:
... Now I'm feeling a little sheepish I hadn't put in the time to memorize the distance numbers yet, considering I've owned Denis' books for years!... [/quote]
Same here mate, time to change that
[quote]On Mar 15, 2016, RickDangerous wrote:
[quote]On Mar 15, 2016, sgtgrey wrote:
... Now I'm feeling a little sheepish I hadn't put in the time to memorize the distance numbers yet, considering I've owned Denis' books for years!... [/quote]
Same here mate, time to change that [/quote]

Same here too! Never put in the effort to memorize those even though I liked Denis' idea a lot. After reading Pit's book, I spent 2 days to memorize all the numbers and could start using them. Paid off very well.
I just ordered it to Sweden.
I hope I get a speedy service, want to start doing miracles, soon.
Just ordered it as well! Can't wait :)
With all those great comments ... Did not have any choice... Just bought it... Cant wait now :)
But you have to... It is worth it, that's the good part of the news... :)
WOW!!! This is a magic book with "real" magic effects within it pages. This is high end magic, sure.
I feel very "happy" to have this book in my possession.
I have speed read the book - there is so many superb memorized deck effects to learn & do - it´s like a grand de lux buffet.
If you like memorized deck stack magic - then this book is a must for you.
Soon, I will start doing new card miracles, that would be very fun...
Plus, the design of the book and the quality of the writing is superb/top notch. Crystal clear teaching.
I already learned two clever effects from the book. I will see what my favorites will be.

I give the book 10 out of 10.

Magically Yours

Mats Kjellstrom
www.matskjellstrom.se
The book is awesome! I really like "Just Like This" and "The Heavyweight", but this book is full of great effects. Now working on "Poker Formulas". Does anyone ever tried to do the four of a kind of aces for 4 players? I'm having trouble with it, on the "zero" I get an indifferent card.. Am I doing it wrong? I tried it like 6 or 7 times with the same result..

Thanks!
Works fine for me....you should be getting an X card on the "zero" anyway...it's the other four that are the aces. Just make sure to follow the formula carefully...Feel Free to PM for assistance. :)
Hey Michael, thanks for your response. I was being stupid.. It all works out just fine now :)
I can't believe it took me until just now for to get the pun in the title...
After performing these 3 effects several times from this book: Catch me if you can, page 16, The Heavyweight, page 26 and Sherlock, page 40 - I know this is miracle class effects. I have great success with these tricks, sure.
But, I will learn more from this book, soon, its so fun to perform supertricks.
[quote]On Apr 3, 2016, Kjellstrom wrote:
After performing these 3 effects several times from this book: Catch me if you can, page 16, The Heavyweight, page 26 and Sherlock, page 40 - I know this is miracle class effects. I have great success with these tricks, sure.
But, I will learn more from this book, soon, its so fun to perform supertricks. [/quote]

Nice! Do you perform all the phases of The Heavyweight? And how are the reactions from Sherlock?
Sherlock is one nice way to open up your act by having the entire deck shuffled by the spectators and continuing more Mem Deck tricks would just fry them even more. Talk about getting deep fried.
I agree, will try it soon:)
I have a question regarding the "Lift Shuffle" described in the book on page 53. He talks about holding a b***k throughout the shuffle, I understand this is necessary when you perform a normal lift shuffle.. But in this case I don't understand the function of it. Anyone? :)
Anyone? :)
[quote]On Apr 5, 2016, danielvanm wrote:
I have a question regarding the "Lift Shuffle" described in the book on page 53. He talks about holding a b***k throughout the shuffle, I understand this is necessary when you perform a normal lift shuffle.. But in this case I don't understand the function of it. Anyone? :) [/quote]

I think it just makes it easier to immediately pull off the next packet in a shuffling action. If the two packets square each time, it looks a bit more like you are repeatedly cutting the deck rather than overhand shuffling.
Spoke to Pit and you're absolutely right :) thanks!!
Just received my copy !

Wow !

Read Poker Formulas... it's crazy... a great creation. Can't wait to put it in practice.

Now I just have to wait for my birthday for a handritten copy of the formulas made by the hand of Denis B. :)

See ya ! :)
The book release already? where can I get it?
[quote]On May 9, 2016, ferryascanio wrote:
The book release already? where can I get it? [/quote]
Try reading this thread.

The book's website is linked in the [b]very first post[/b] in this thread, among other posts.

Or try googling the author and title.

If these things are too hard for you to do without help, then working with a memorized deck may not be for you.
So how do I get the book?
The Poker Formulas - iPhone App now available!

I’m happy to announce, that a couple of days ago I have released my first app for the iPhone. It is based on Pit Hartling’s effect ‘The Poker Formulas’.
The app can handle different stacks, has several optimization switches and does not need an internet connection.

I also added some very nice features, with which it makes absolutely sense to use the iPhone/iPad for the presentation of the effect.
The app can be found in the iTunes App-Store under the name ‘SD Poker’. (I chose a dfferent name, so that in case the spectator sees the App-Name, there is no connection to 'formulas').
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sd-poker/id1099492468

If you have any wishes / ideas, please let me know.

All the best from Germany
Martin
[quote]On May 26, 2016, Martin_Eisele wrote:
The Poker Formulas - iPhone App now available!

I’m happy to announce, that a couple of days ago I have released my first app for the iPhone. It is based on Pit Hartling’s effect ‘The Poker Formulas’.
The app can handle different stacks, has several optimization switches and does not need an internet connection.

I also added some very nice features, with which it makes absolutely sense to use the iPhone/iPad for the presentation of the effect.
The app can be found in the iTunes App-Store under the name ‘SD Poker’. (I chose a dfferent name, so that in case the spectator sees the App-Name, there is no connection to 'formulas').
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sd-poker/id1099492468

If you have any wishes / ideas, please let me know.

All the best from Germany
Martin [/quote]

Awesome, thanks!

Best,
Jed
Hi Martin,

Congratulations for your iPhone app.

Are you planning to release an Android version?

Cheers,

Olivier
Would it be possible to include in the stealth mode the first information (where to c**) to another smartphone ? This would help making the first adjustment even before the effect really begins and the heat is on the packet. Since you anyway will know later their choice they have no reason to suspect that some information has been already tranmitted ...
Hi,

thank you very much for the nice feedbacks - I'm happy that you enjoy the app so far!
Regarding the questions:

1) Android:
I have gotten several requests for that. To be serious. I don't know yet. The development of the app has two stages. First the development of the core (which I basically already had since several years) and in the second stage, the development of the User-Interface. This took me almost longer than the development of the "core code". Android and iOS do not share any standards when it comes to the User-Interface, so almost nothing of this code could be used for the Android version. If I find some time, I will look into that, but I can't make any promises!

2) Secret transmission:
At the moment my idea is to transmitt the information to either an Apple Watch oder to a website, where you can connect with any other device to. I have not thought this completly through neither do I know, when I find time to develop this update. As soon there will be something new, I will post it here!

Take care and have fun with the app!
Martin
Have you contacted Pit before releasing this app ?
Martin was the one who worked with Pit to work out the formulas in the first place, which you would know if you read the book, I was with Pit over the weekend for a workshop and he mentioned this app and Martin's help in glowing terms.
Just a short note to add to this topic. I have been using Juan Tamariz Mnemonic stack for a while and together with his wonderful book and using the app Mnemonicosis I found learning the stack fairly straightforward. Asi Winds ACAAN is amazing and learning how to determine bottom card for ACAAN does require a bit of mental gymnastics when under performing pressure.

When I received Pit's book I was expecting a lot, and BOY I was not let down.

"In Order To Amaze" is a wonderful book, and anyone interested in doing the miracles, that only a stacked deck can produce, must get a copy.

Mike
www.themagicshop.co.za
Wow....i saw his name before....but hadn´t seen his work before.
And i´m impressed. Will definitely order this book.
Message: Posted by: Pasteboard Alchemist (Aug 13, 2016 01:44PM)
I haven't begun to scratch the surface of this book, and I'm already blown away. I've committed a number of the more simple/commonly asked for poker formulas to memory and have been able to perform a lesser version on-demand when I don't have the printed out sheets handy. It's absolutely fantastic, and beats my prior self-made system that involved shifts. Martin Eisele's app was worth every cent.

I also enjoy Sherlock immensely. I've done similar tracking work for a while, but his presentation/approach really makes it.

Fantastic thinking throughout so far. I can't wait to delve deeper--but I'm having so much fun with Poker Formulas that I'm going to have to force myself to move on!

If you're a stack worker, I can't imagine not getting this book. We have few stack-specific publications as it is, so it's excellent to see a real gem like this.
[quote]On Apr 3, 2016, dylanxtay wrote:
Sherlock is one nice way to open up your act by having the entire deck shuffled by the spectators and continuing more Mem Deck tricks would just fry them even more. Talk about getting deep fried. [/quote]

It's extremely unlikely, but bear in mind that you might mis-identify the card in Sherlock. If you have 18 19 21 20 22 23 then the card could be 20 or 21, but you cannot know which. Charles Jordan was aware of this issue back in 1919 but to my knowledge nobody since then has mentioned it in print.
That's one potential issue with Sherlock, but that's easily dealt with as you can usually find identifying features between the two cards and go fishing for a moment (or, as an example - remove one and cut the other to the top of the deck in prep for top change and do a miscall for the one on top of the deck - if wrong, show the one in your hand, otherwise get your applause and top change if you feel the need to show it around).

The other potential issue is that based on the handling (either in replacement or during shuffling), there is a VERY slight chance of not knowing anything about the chosen card - in which case mnemonicosis is your best friend for that very unlucky outcome.
I don't mean to "compete" with The Magic Café, but I have started a separate blog, with Pit's permission (but without his involvement) about In Order to Amaze.
If you would be interested, check out http://www.inordertoblog.com . Your input would be greatly appreciated.
I understand that many of the tricks in here are stack independent, but are they as easy to /learn/ in other stacks? Does the teaching refer to Mnemonica positions or is it taught in a stack independant way also?
In most cases, the teaching is just as easy with any stack you may know. In the few cases where discussing stack order is more important, Pit has gone through the trouble to explain not only in Mnemonica, but also include the instructions for Aronson stack users. Other stack users will be able to generalize to their stacks fairly easily (all with the exception of the 4 stack-dependent effects). If you do memorized deck work with any stack, this is a worthwhile book to study.
Poker Formulas is a god-tier effect if presented correctly. The Heavyweight, Sherlock, Fairy Tale Poker, Game of Chance, and the principle of Quartets are all great, just to name a few. I don't use much from the book (currently just Poker Formulas and Heavyweight), but I would still place this in my top 5 mem deck books of all time. Whether or not you use the material (you will), the knowledge and wisdom contained in the pages clearly come from a master.
Long before IOTA was published I had a conversation with Sudo Nimh about possible alternative presentation approaches for Pit's [i]"The Core"[/i] as we both loved its workings but didn't feel overwhelmed by the suggested patter. Sure, one could perfectly use [i]"The Core" [/i] as an Out (just like an ungaffed Invisible Deck)... but isn't there maybe more to it? :confused:

So we both exchanged ideas for different presentation angles, and while I haven't publish mine yet (due to lack of time), Sudo on the other hand did: you will find his lovely take on [i]"The Core"[/I] [url=http://curiousmiracles.com/product/nest-of-thoughts/]here[/url].
I like it, thank you.
The before mentioned app 'SD Poker' for Pit's effect 'The Poker Formulas' got an update a while ago so that it works together with the 'Vision' app. You can now perform the effect from any shuffled deck!

Here you can find a short demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzGIFk5kZtQ

Martin
Looks great Martin!
Any plan to release that app for android users ?
Not yet, I'm sorry. Currently I'm working on several enhancements for Vision. I first have to finish these and will then see.
Hi Martin. Thank you for your answer. That would be great. The combination of both apps is just incredible!
[quote]On Aug 29, 2016, alecStephenson wrote: It's extremely unlikely, but bear in mind that you might mis-identify the card in Sherlock. If you have 18 19 21 20 22 23 then the card could be 20 or 21, but you cannot know which. Charles Jordan was aware of this issue back in 1919 but to my knowledge nobody since then has mentioned it in print. [/quote]
Does anyone came up with a solution for a fair selection and replacement to avoid the problem?
I wrote the following directly afterwards:

[quote]On Aug 29, 2016, sgtgrey wrote:
That's one potential issue with Sherlock, but that's easily dealt with as you can usually find identifying features between the two cards and go fishing for a moment (or, as an example - remove one and cut the other to the top of the deck in prep for top change and do a miscall for the one on top of the deck - if wrong, show the one in your hand, otherwise get your applause and top change if you feel the need to show it around).

The other potential issue is that based on the handling (either in replacement or during shuffling), there is a VERY slight chance of not knowing anything about the chosen card - in which case mnemonicosis is your best friend for that very unlucky outcome. [/quote]

The problem isn't just selection/replacement, but the odds of the spectator shuffling the card back into position. I can say from experience that it CAN happen, because it did happen to me once. However, given the low odds it is rare that it will happen. As I mentioned, when it does happen, you can immediately go into mnemonicosis as an out. It's not ideal, but it worked just fine the time I had to do it and no one was any wiser. It's not a problem if you are aware that it can happen and you are prepared to handle it if it does occur.
I love the idea to let the spectator shuffle the cards and be back in stack afterwards. However, it happened to me sometimes that the card was placed to the same position. Since the stripping sequence is quiete long I dislike to finish with a weak ending. More often it happens 2 cards changed places which can easily solved. But I like to have the best outcome anytime.
This is such a wonderful book! Interesting presentations to some very fun looking effects.

I can't wait to try some of these out. Thanks to Pit!
[quote]On Jun 22, 2019, Frittentick wrote:
[quote]On Aug 29, 2016, alecStephenson wrote: It's extremely unlikely, but bear in mind that you might mis-identify the card in Sherlock. If you have 18 19 21 20 22 23 then the card could be 20 or 21, but you cannot know which. Charles Jordan was aware of this issue back in 1919 but to my knowledge nobody since then has mentioned it in print. [/quote]
Does anyone came up with a solution for a fair selection and replacement to avoid the problem? [/quote]

I changed the procedure. Had the chance to ask Pit about this and he simply has another deck ready just in case. He likes the image of the spectator going away to select the card, but I don't trust them AT ALL, as they might have difficulties handling a fanned deck. I'd rather have them cut the deck in four packets after one single cut. I turn my back, let them pick up one of the cut to cards and bury it in that packet or in any other. Then, the mixing. Etc. I prefer this approach, much similar to Tamariz's La bomba. It is foolproof.
FYI, I'm selling my copy right now for $35usd plus shipping. This is an incredible book though. Just downsizing my collection. It's a beautiful book.
Update: sorry, the book has sold.
I dribble the cards show card stopped at give chance to change or dribble again. After they have looked at card dribble a few more cards say 5 or 6 and replace card. Now when they shuffle twice it’s impossible for card to be shuffled back to position.
Good idea.

A.
I reviewed this book on the latest episode of my magic review show.

My son Ryland performed one of the routines from the book as well.

It’s an amazing resource for people that use mem decks. Highly recommended.

Here’s the link to the show.

https://youtu.be/18QoOqlud4E
[quote]On Aug 26, 2020, Craig Petty wrote:

https://youtu.be/18QoOqlud4E [/quote]
The book is now on my wish-list
Message: Posted by: Oliver Munoz Gutierrez (Sep 13, 2020 03:42PM)
[quote]On Sep 9, 2020, hypnoman1 wrote:
[quote]On Aug 26, 2020, Craig Petty wrote:

https://youtu.be/18QoOqlud4E [/quote]
The book is now on my wish-list [/quote]

Nearly everything Pit publishes is excellent 👏👏
I recommend his earlier Book, Card Friction, aswell.
Watch Allan Ackerman perform Catch me if you can:

https://youtu.be/dpNR-WOr5eQ

Great effect, sure.
That was great. One of my favorite card magicians.
[quote]On Sep 22, 2020, Kjellstrom wrote:
Watch Allan Ackerman perform Catch me if you can:

https://youtu.be/dpNR-WOr5eQ

Great effect, sure. [/quote]

Brilliant ideas and very inspiring thanks!