(Close Window)
Topic: First Peek at the 2016 Tenyo Line
I was at FISM in Italy last week and met with three members of Tenyo's Creative Division, Chief Toru Suzuki, Kenichi Komiya, and So Sato. They kindly showed me three of the tricks coming out in September. One absolutely slayed me, the second was very good and will become an excellent utility prop, and the third and fourth you'll just have to wait to hear more in just over a month. You really have something to look forward to.

Now my lips are sewn shut like those on a shrunken head.
Sounding good...
OK, let the drooling, speculation, name guessing and pre-pre-ordering begin…;-)
September already, looking forward to that. Thx Richard for the heads up.

I love it when they make 'utility props', adds a whole other dimension when the creative geniuses among us start to alter the routines and make add-ons.
Richard?

Do you know if Lubor Fiedler will still have items released through Tenyo? Just wondering if there is a backlog of prototypes that could still be marketed?

Joe Mckay
November 2012, large luggage arrived in Tenyo office from lubor Fiddler. Lubor had packed a variety of works that made up for Tenyo over a period of one year in it. After that Ghost Card was released and Security Lock too. So for sure Tenyo have lot of others prototypes and videos from Lubor explaining tricks and works but I'don't know if they'll use them and if they can legally use them since then Lubor disappeared.
Richard will surely be able to tell us a bit more.

About new 2016 line I am sorry but I have not had time to show you like I do all other years in July all the photos and descriptions of the new line. Sorry for that but the suprise will be more complete in that way.
All prototypes were returned to Lubor before his death. Tenyo does not have any prototypes from Lubor, and as far as I know they have no plans to release any more of his tricks. There are none by Lubor in the new line.

If Suzuki decides that there was something among the prototypes they saw that Tenyo might want to work on for a future release, then the negotiation would have to take place with Lubor's estate.

Lubor gave me an incredible trick called "Pink Phantom" and fortunately it does not need plastic injection molding. I am trying to figure out the best way to get it out. I will likely include it with Lubor's book, which if it comes together as I'm hoping will be something very special indeed with lots of props!
Richard, I'm not sure whether you've considered putting out a Limited Edition pre-order of Lubor's book, but if you do, please put me on the list. I know it will be incredible.
I hope the details of Lubor's protoypes find a way to be described in the book.

Even though nobody may be able to perform them (since they won't have the plastic props needed) - it would still be a treat to learn what Fiedler had in mind for such effects.

I am so excited about the big Lubor Fiedler book. I hope you start an early pre-order (like with the Tenyo book), so that I can send off my payment sooner rather than later.

Joe
If things go as I hope, there will indeed be props included with the book.
Richard, will the Lubor Fiedler book be published next year or is it further away?
I'll take time to share with you info, photo and descriptions of the 4 Tenyo 2016 tricks today.

One of them is tenyo version of Matthew Biches and Garrett Thomas "tiny plunger". ( https://youtu.be/ihOyx3Sp35E)
Look Like Elliot allready do the work before me. Thank you.

After a rough Google translate it looks like we have:

Future Jigsaw - A box with a jigsaw puzzle is shown. The spectator is asked to pick a suit of face cards (free choice). When the box is opened the puzzle matches the suit that the spectator picked.

Four Dimensional Container - A white plastic container with three compartments is shown. A different color sponge dog is in each compartment.A spectator chooses a color and the container is covered. When it is opened the dogs have all changed to one color.

Phantom Hankercheif - Looks like it uses a smartphone

Tiny Plunger - I guess this is from the World's Best Magic Series.
Stereo, would you happen to have any better photos than the ones on that site and maybe more of a description for the handkerchief trick?
Stereo, your link would not work for me even when I took the . out of tu.be? Am I missing something? Thanks

Would love to see the new stuff.

Thanks

Charlie
Sorry for the link, Just try "tiny plunger" in youtube and you'll find lot of video about this props.
I hope to publish Lubor Fiedler's book by the end of 2016. It's a rather complicated affair.
No surprise. He seemed to be a rather complicated person.
I felt Lubor Fiedler had reached new creative peaks in the years before his death.

It was so exciting that he seemed to get more and more creative over time.

His recovery from his nervous breakdown seemed to have opened a new door to him creatively.

It is such a loss to magic that he is gone. But at the same time - I am incredibly grateful that Richard is putting together this book.

Since the far bigger tragedy would have been if the book had never happened at all. Which was something I was really worried about for a long time.

There is something terrible and cruel at the idea that magic's greatest thinker would not have a large book devoted to his life and work. Particularly when the magic place is continually flooded with works by people with 0.1 percent of his creative abilities.

So a big thankyou to Lubor Fiedler for sharing his gifts with the world of magic.

And a big thankyou to Richard and Dustin for their efforts in recording that work.
@Bob:
so well put. I really enjoy some of the best Tenyo tricks, stemming from Lubor's mind. Aren't 4D surprise and Invisible zone marvellous…?

Richard, looking forward to the book…

Niels
Me, too. Just edited 89 videos for the Tenyo Scrapbook DVD!
[quote]On Jul 21, 2015, stereo wrote:

After a rough Google translate it looks like we have:

Future Jigsaw - A box with a jigsaw puzzle is shown. The spectator is asked to pick a suit of face cards (free choice). When the box is opened the puzzle matches the suit that the spectator picked.

Four Dimensional Container - A white plastic container with three compartments is shown. A different color sponge dog is in each compartment.A spectator chooses a color and the container is covered. When it is opened the dogs have all changed to one color.

Phantom Hankercheif - Looks like it uses a smartphone

Tiny Plunger - I guess this is from the World's Best Magic Series. [/quote]

Hello Richard (nice to have you here :-))
May I ask which one slayed you ?

Thanks !
Future Jigsaw. I have yet to see a clear description of the effect. It's VERY good.
Excellent news !! That is exactly the one I was hoping for :=)
(and Four Dimensional Container...)
Richard, do you know if the new Tenyo items will be available by mid-September? I hope to pick them up next month.

On your recommendation, I bought all the new ones last December when I was in Japan, and I wasn't disappointed. It would have been hard to choose just one (I bought ten others that aren't available in the US, at least not at a really affordable price).

Cheers,

Mark
The Tenyo items will go on sale at the Tenyo Festival in Tokyo on September 6. But it takes a while for them to reach the regular stores.

I'm going to try (the key word here is "try") to buy a bunch and bring them back for sale at the Tenyo Flea Market at the Genii Convention at the end of September. There will be a slight markup since I'm going to be paying retail price for them, but not much. Not doing it to make money! Might not have English instructions for them by that point, either. But it's easy enough to teach how they're done.
I just heard about the Tenyo Festival yesterday. I am so disappointed that I'll miss it by just one day! There's always next year!
[quote]On Jul 21, 2015, Richard Kaufman wrote:
I hope to publish Lubor Fiedler's book by the end of 2016. It's a rather complicated affair. [/quote]

I hope the floating object as seen in the video Inside Lubor's Brain 2 at around 4 minutes is featured in the book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0J-I0K2dVA
The Tenyo Festival is so popular that the tickets are made available only through a lottery, so your changes of getting a ticket would have taken place months ago.
I have add large photo of Promo new line on the main page of the blog. Thank you Magico Japan.
http://tenyo-magic.blogspot.fr/
Thanks stereo !
can't wait to see them in action.

- Strange Dog house: 3 compartment and 4 dogs !? :-) Anyway, I hope it is not a magician’s choice...
- Magic of the plunger!: Don't care since this effect is already out for a long time (or maybe something new ?)
- Ghost camera: Intriguing from Tenyo to have a smartphone effect, can't wait
- Future Puzzle: sound original ! Seeing the box, I might have an idea lol But I’ll stick to Richard’s first impression.

Nicolas
- Add photo of front and back package of Tenyo 2016:
http://tenyo-magic.blogspot.fr/
I saw all the tricks demonstrated on Sunday and bought a few sets and have been playing with them.

There is only one thing different about Tiny Plunger as far as I can tell (aside from the fact that it costs 33% less than the current marketed version), and that has to do with the gimmicked card required. No breather crimp is used (that's not something you explain to laymen). The plunger is not gimmicked as the original version was, and it comes with sealed deck of USPCC Bikes, For Tenyo's core audience in Japan it will be a bestseller. We (that's us magic folk in the west) are only a teeny-tiny percentage of Tenyo's customers, This release is not designed for us.

Tiny Plunger aside, the other three are very good and for different reasons. The cellphone and hanky trick is the thing you will do most often. The jigsaw puzzle is the most ingenious. The white box with the sponge dogs has the most versatile prop.
A magic shop in Japan has put up videos of all the new tricks. Check them out here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzTmz196T1M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V__xuYEgjs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNTQX_GEzqs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2jevJJQTQ0
Another performance of Ghost camera:
https://youtu.be/eA_9pPgFwh0
I have to say, I am not fan for any of those :rolleyes:
[quote]On Sep 8, 2015, stereo wrote:
Another performance of Ghost camera:
https://youtu.be/eA_9pPgFwh0 [/quote]

There is also an interesting video of it on Tenyo's Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/tenyomagic
Official Tenyo Video:
https://youtu.be/kAGvaWK5XUE
None of those are the final version of the official Tenyo demo video. In face, the one which Stereo has linked to is completely different than the one shown at the Tenyo Festival! Not sure how the one Stereo has linked to leaked out, but I know from talking with them yesterday that the version shown at the Tenyo Festival is not the final release version.

So, there is yet another, final, version yet to come.
Too bad Tenyo's Tiny Plunger wasn't designed for us here in the west. I was hoping it to be better than original which BTW doesn't come with a gimmicked plunger anymore not needed at all plus the breather is so versatile worth every penny paid for the original version. The cell phone Camera trick looks good although Kameraflage technology has been out since 2007 and known by tons of non magic interested layman likely will point out. The puzzle trick box looks really big will make everyone want to examine it right away not interested in it at all. The sponge dog trick will likely become a classic so buy plenty for resale when it gets discontinued. ;)
That's the opinion of someone who has never performed the Jigsaw puzzle trick, or seen it performed live for laymen: I've seen it performed half a dozen times. The box is "empty" because it has been turned upside down to dump the pieces out. The spectator assembles the puzzle and is amazed and is no longer thinking about the box at that point. (A good magician will have already placed the box away while the spectator is busy assembling the pieces--it's called audience management.)

The Tiny Plunger made by Tenyo in Japan is of much higher quality (and thus vacuums better) than most of those sold here. It's not some cheap piece of crap made in China of thin rubber that is too flexible.

I've done the cellphone/hanky trick to half a dozen laymen by now, and none of them have seen the principle before, and certainly have never heard the word "Kameraflage."
I just got back from Japan the other day. I bought a set of the new effects. I met Billy at the Takashimaya Department store in Shinjuku - really nice guy. Only the official Tenyo Dealers are allowed to sell them before October, and you can't download the English instructions in the end of October. However, it is fun playing with all the items.

If you ever get a chance to visit Japan and you go to see a demonstrator, it is well worth it to ask them for tips on the items you buy. I was shown a lot of clever twists that are not shown in the printed instructions.

Richard, Billy said it was a pleasure meeting you at the Tenyo Convention.
I just got all new tenyo 2016.
my top 4 is

1. tiny plunger
2. dog house
3.ghost camera
4. jigsaw puzzle
Nothing grabs me from this years lot. Nothing looks "magical" to me, more like puzzle toys.

In my opinion its the weakest Tenyo suite to come out in a long time. I'll be passing on this collection.
[quote]On Sep 21, 2015, jconz wrote:
Nothing grabs me from this years lot. Nothing looks "magical" to me, more like puzzle toys.

In my opinion its the weakest Tenyo suite to come out in a long time. I'll be passing on this collection. [/quote]

I kinda feel the same way. BUT, I will give them the benefit of doubt and wait and see.
You really need to try the new effects in performance. They're better than you're giving them credit for.
I've been living in Japan for the last 10 yrs and Tenyo products
are sold in every department store. However, most effects stay on the
shelves for a long time or just don't sell.
Price range starts at ¥1,500/$15.00 .The most expensive being ¥3,500/ $35.00.
How do you know they don't sell? Maybe they do sell and have just been restocked by the next time you visit the store?
2,3 and 4 year old stock still sitting .
Magic had a bit of a renaissance in Japan 10 yrs ago.
The typical buyer of Tenyo today is a 65+ yr old oyaji hobbyist.
They're looking for something that requires no technical ability.
Very very few young people pick up magic in Japan.
You could make some money selling that old stock, because many of those items are no longer made.
Hmmm, not a bad idea.
I might just look into that.
Thanks.
Hello All,

Just FYI, Hocus-Pocus.com has preorders going on for the Tenyo 2016 products. I've personally preordered "Tiny Plunger". Nothing on the site says when these will be available. (Anyone know?)
Likely late November--just a guess. Could be early December.
If you guys are interested. We've got them in stock. Also have a great package deal. All 4 new ones for as little as € 69,50 (shipping from the Netherlands).
Check http://www.tenyo-magic.com/
Hi, does anyone have these yet who can write a review? Future Puzzle looks really good...
You can buy all four new Tenyo items for only $60 from Seo-magic:
http://www.seomagic-usa.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/108

You're not going to get them cheaper than that unless you're in Japan!

As far as reviews, four items are covered in the November issue of Genii.
Has anyone received/used the new doghouse? Is it worth the purchase?
Yes, it's great. As a utility prop, it can be used for many things, not just with sponge doggies.
Hocus Pocus also has had them in stock for a couple of weeks now for about $65 for all four.
Picked up the line a couple of weeks ago. Had a chance this weekend to play with them. Interesting group. To be honest if the Magic Plunger was a new Tenyo item it would be my favorite. The Mystery Doghouse is the most "old school" Tenyo item of the bunch and for that reason I like it. There are some interesting ideas and the Ghost Camera is a cool visual. I wonder if Mathieu Bich might become the next generation Lubor for Tenyo, he has come up with some cool concepts.
I got mine in the mail today. I'm pleasantly surprised by the line this year. I was beginning to miss the old days of - "An Amazing Trick Anyone Can Do!" and "No Practice Required!" I started to get disappointed in 2011 with Pop Up Box, 2012's Magic Memo Pad, 2013's 4D Printer and was beginning to miss the ingenious plastic tricks that worked right out of the box that I used to buy when I was a kid.

I really like this years line. They feel like "Tenyo" of old.

I've been messing around with the Plunger and it's very well made and plain fun. The prop looks silly / interesting and doesn't look like a "trick" aside from the size of it. I already ordered a couple more to have on hand.

The Doghouse is very cool although you need to be careful to make sure the gimmick is properly engaged before opening the box (maybe I got a defective one)

Ghost Camera will be with me all the time now that everyone and his brother has a smartphone these days.

Finally, Future Puzzle (as Richard and other have said) is really ingenious but feels like the least "Tenyo" item. That being said it's a hell of a fooler.

Just my 2 cents.
Newman, you can eliminate the second move in Future Puzzle by just taking "the piece" directly out of the box without doing anything first.
Yep. that makes more sense to me and more natural... Thx Mr. K.

A very nice set of items over all though.
While I felt that this year's line was a little disappointing, I have to say I love that little doghouse. Totally cute! I'm going to buy an extra for my budding magician son.
Does anyone know if you can buy extra sponge dogs? I've already lost one!
That's why they give you extras. :)

But, no, there is no way to purchase extra doggies. But the trick is cheap enough that you can buy a second one and use the plastic box for different effects (since it needs to be set in advance).
[quote]On Dec 4, 2015, Professor Marvel wrote:
While I felt that this year's line was a little disappointing, I have to say I love that little doghouse. Totally cute! I'm going to buy an extra for my budding magician son. [/quote]

Yes, the doghouse is the clear winner this year!
I know! I lost some of the extras! I'll just end up buying another. It is cheap enough... Thanks R.
Message: Posted by: somethingupmysleeve (Feb 20, 2016 05:12PM)
[quote]On Dec 15, 2015, meridianfan wrote:
Yes, the doghouse is the clear winner this year! [/quote]

I think the presentation with different coloured dogs into one colour is stronger than the 'one dog becomes two, then three, then they disappear'. I feel the latter is at risk of tipping the gimmick when one becomes two then one more appears.
The puzzle trick is pretty clever. I like it! I also picked up the sponge dog trick, which I also like.

I agree with somethingupmysleeve regarding the presentation with different colored dogs into one color.