(Close Window)
Topic: Magic Painter - mentalist app for Android
Dear Magicians,

I'm happy to announce that Mental Painter - my second magic app for Android - has just ben published to the Google Play store! :-)
You can download and try it for FREE. If you like it, you can unlock the trial mode for USD 6.

Mental Painter: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.benkesmith.mental_painter

THE EFFECT:
You (the Magician) show the spectator 8 cards, with 8 words on each card (64 different words in total). You shuffle the cards face down, and the spectator takes one. They should mentally choose (and remember) a word from the list, one they can visualize and recognise easily. Only the spectator will know the chosen word. Then you give them a phone or tablet, and show how they can scroll the images (back and forth). There are 8 pages with 8 greyscale images on each page. The pictures are mixed, so the order is different from the order of the words on the cards. The spectator should scroll the pages and look for the image that represents the mentally chosen word. When they find the image, they should stare at it and try to mentally paint the image. After a while, the colors will fade in and the chosen image (and only that one) will be shown in nice vivid colors!

I'd be happy to receive any thoughts, opinions, suggestions here in the forum or by email.

Enjoy the app! :-)
The "Early Bird" period has just ended, the price went up to 16 USD. The app got fantastic reviews, so I'm sure you won't regret buying it.
And remember: you can TRY it for FREE! :-)
Message: Posted by: Alejandro Pacheco (Aug 14, 2015 03:36PM)
16 is a very high price, there are lots of other apps, you should consider that.
Yes, there are many apps cheaper than this, and also other apps which are way more expensive....
From the reactions of people using the app, I think this app does worth the price of 16 USD (maybe also more). :-)

When I release my third app, there will be also a subscription available for ALL my apps, for 6 USD / month.
The new price is 5.38 USD for a limited time! :-)
.....and it has just dropped to 3.59 USD!!! Is this price low enough for this great mental effect? :-)
...and now it's FREE. My other app (Lie Detector) also became FREE, so please feel FREE to use them! :-)
With all kind reasons aside. I'm glad I didn't spend $16 on this app. I don't use Android as well. Perhaps, I've spent my money on this app if I have one. So, I'm glad I didn't buy an Android phone.
[quote]On Nov 4, 2015, BenkeSmith wrote:
...and now it's FREE. My other app (Lie Detector) also became FREE, so please feel FREE to use them! :-) [/quote]

you said it was worth $16 or more. Did you change your mind?
[quote]On Nov 5, 2015, daniltan wrote:
With all kind reasons aside. I'm glad I didn't spend $16 on this app. I don't use Android as well. Perhaps, I've spent my money on this app if I have one. So, I'm glad I didn't buy an Android phone. [/quote]

I don't get it... Does it mean you dodn't like the app? Have you tried it eventually? Here in Hungary magicians LOVE it, I got great responses. :-)
[quote]On Nov 5, 2015, Sean Giles wrote: you said it was worth $16 or more. Did you change your mind? [/quote]

Very few people bought the app. It seems noone wants to pay for a magic app anymore, everybody wants everything for free.
So I've changed my mind, and made it FREE. I'll have more apps for Android in the near future, and some of the PRO functions will be available only for my subscribers.
Subscription fee will be around 2 USD / month, this will unlock the PRO features in ALL my magic apps.

For now the PRO features are also free, subscription will be available next year.
With all kind reasons aside. I'm glad I didn't spend $16 on this app. I don't use Android as well. Perhaps, I've spent my money on this app if I have one. So, I'm glad I didn't buy an Android phone. [/quote]

Ahh, now I get it! :-) You mean if you'd payed 16 USD, and then it would've gone FREE, you'd be angry.
Nobody purchased it for 16 USD, so nobody got hurt. :-)
[quote]On Nov 10, 2015, BenkeSmith wrote:

Ahh, now I get it! :-) You mean if you'd payed 16 USD, and then it would've gone FREE, you'd be angry.
Nobody purchased it for 16 USD, so nobody got hurt. :-) [/quote]

Good to know that. Although-- I'm a little bit shock why no one buy this app? The description sounds good to me. As I'm saying before. I might paid $16 if I use an android. And then maybe I just get disappointed if the app gone free. Not angry..
I cannot believe nobody is talking about this. This app has fooled literally everyone I have done it on. To give it for free is madness, well done sir
Nobody is talking about it because most people use iPhones :-)
I use an iPhone myself but I bought a tablet just for reading and then found this. I've read so many posts on this forum relating to iPhone apps and nearly every one of them has the same question by a member "will this be available on android?" This is such a clever app
FYI... "Lots" of people use Android. It, by far, has more devices in use than Apple.
I made my comment just to cause trouble....

The iPhone vs. Droid is a religious debate :)

For the most part more people use Droid because Droids are cheaper....and to be honest, as much as I hate iTunes, I do love my iPhone and newly purchased Pebble Time (which works on iPhone and Android).

But, here is an interesting article:

http://techcrunch.com/2015/02/04/apples-iphone-overtakes-android-in-us-sales-for-the-first-time-since-2012/

https://qzprod.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/android_is_maintaininge28094but_not_increasinge28094its_lead_in_the_us_google_android_apple_ios_androids_lead_chartbuilder-2.png?w=640
I know this is off topic, but I have an Gear S watch for Android which is "connected" to my phone, but I don't have to carry my phone around. I can leave my phone at home and still get/make calls and texts via my watch.
As to the app. I downloaded it and it looks interesting, but I havent been able to work through the instructions. I think this has potentail, and it has 2 methods of operation (ala iForce) but its a bit kludgy getting through the instructions (for a non-techie like me)
Hi guys! First of all thanks for the kind words and the feedback! :-)

Scott Horn: the method is really simple. The word cards are marked, and numbered from 1 to 8. When the spectator takes one, you know the number of the card. Start the app, and touch the corresponding image first as you demonstrate how to scroll the screen... If they choose a word from card #3, you touch the third image first (and scroll the screen). The images in the top row are 1-2-3-4, bottom row is 5-6-7-8. That's it... the rest is up to the app. :-)

iPhone users: I've made a webapp which can be opened on Apple devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch) from the Safari browser, and you can make a shortcut icon on your Home Screen. The only thing you'll need is internet connection...
One more thing: when you start the app, hold your phone normally (portrait). When you see the message "Rotate your device to horizontal mode, then click OK...", then rotate it to landscape mode!
The URL is: http://benkesmith.com/webapp/mp/

If you have any questions, contact me at benke.smith@gmail.com

Have a nice day! :-) And check out my other app, Lie Detector (you'll find it on Google Play, iPhone URL is: http://benkesmith.com/webapp/lie/ )
This is brilliant news, thank you so much for this!!
Hi Benke,

Just recently I bought an Android phone and downloaded your app #magicpainter. I totally agree with most people here-- your app is rock solid!!! With a good presentation you can use this for something like hypnosis effect when you do this to one spectator, where the selected image is actually the only picture that colored right from the start. At the beginning you hypnosis them to "forget" about colors. And that explains how you know the selected item. It will blown her mind!

If you could permits me to give you one simple thing to your app is-- continuous [b]AND LOOP[/b]. So right from the start the spec can freely move the screen to the right or to the left.

One last thing, in the version update you mention about supporting an Android watch. But, there's nothing about it in the manual. Can you please tell us about it. Or maybe I missed it when I reading the manual.

Thank you for your amazing app..
This is a fun app, I would highly recommend it! I would have been glad to have paid for it, around $5 for an app I believe would get the Magic Community hooked.
Just downloaded it. Excellent design and a VERY nice way to hide an old principle in a very naturally looking way. Really like it :))
Also download lie detector: again very nice. Maybe a place for a variant: Up to know the spectator is asked to make a specific affirmative claim and the lie/truth is detected correctly.

In some cases it would seem more natural to let the spectator decide his own yes/no answer to a question you ask and then let the lie detector check if his freely chosen yes or no was a lie or not.

Idea to make this work: there is of course a preliminary hidden definition of sequence of correct answers (eg. yes yes no yes no no no ...) (I have some ideas on how to let the software know the correct sequence). Then you ask the questions, with a feedback on the screen reacting to the noise of your voice during the question. Then the spectator answers with a thumb on yes or no button and of course the lie is detected;-)