(Close Window)
Topic: Drawing Thoughts - Chris Rawlins
This looks interesting. I've got a few products from Chris Rawlins and I've really enjoyed his creations and style of teaching. I'm obsessed with drawing dupes so I might take the plunge on this. Anybody know anything more? I've just signed up.

http://drawingthoughts.yolasite.com
Hi all,

I haven't posted on here for yonks (that's a British phrase for 'a long time')

I am a little jaded with much of the new mentalism releases that have bounced around the internet in recent times. Often it falls into the category of "well obviously". Quite often the idea is using a word in a different place or folding a billet with a different finger. A lot of the time I feel like the boy in the crowd from that fab;e 'The Kings New Clothes', who just wants to yell that the king isn't actually wearing any clothes, but I just keep schtum (a German word meaning silent) rather than shouting I'm sorry but that is crap (an american word meaning ****) I cant believe it will let me say crap but not ****?

However when Chris showed me this I was genuinely pleased with a very novel and sideways look at a method that we all know but used in an intelligent and new way. My thoughts included in this effect (they are minimal) were only added because I got a little too enthusiastic about the effect and couldn't help sharing some thoughts with him.

If you get it and are disappointed then I will be surprised, but I will apologise and send you in the direction of a some guys who will stooge a few things and take your money anyway.

Right I am off to hide behind a tree.

John
I already signed up for the interest list this morning.

Thanks for chiming in John!
Would be nice to know a price before signing up...
I honestly do not know the price, but you are only signing up to show interest at this stage, I think?
I am not gaining anything financially from this but in the traditional "thank you Archer you are amazing" sort of way, I know that he knows one has to be coming my way. :-)

J
It's written in the sign up page

45£ plus ship ;)
I attented a workshop held by Chris in Amsterdam. He performed and explained some of the effects from the book.
One of the things I like the most is a duplicate drawing routine, because Chris came up with a method where you (the performer) can draw something before the spectator does.
And he explained some really cool peek methods with and without a normal wallet.
Besides the new stuff he showed nice handeling for REVEAL and his DROPCARD variations.

I like Chris' ideas, so I'll definitely buy it :-)
I think I'm sold. Interesting interview with Jermay now on site http://drawingthoughts.yolasite.com/Audio-Interview.php and I have to say I'm wildly curious!
Ok so my brain is frazzled now. It's a drawing dupe and he doesn't #### the info? How can that be? Anybody seen this performed?
The cost is 40 Pounds is you pre-order and you get an extra routine. YOu need to sign up for the news letter for updates and the offer.

Michael
Hi Simon,

I have seen Chris perform the I.D.D. He really fooled me and the method is really clever.
Oh great cool.
I really dig cool methods. Methods that are fun, that make performing easier and methods that look more real(especially mentalism). Drawing thoughts does all that and more.
Hey guys,

Chris showed me some tomfoolery from his forthcoming book while he was here in the states...clever stuff from a clever guy!

XX,
-Jakob
Surprised this quote from the website hasn't been mentioned yet (bolded emphasis mine). Probably should be made more prominent for buyers to see so they can make an informed purchase.

[i]"Copies purchased are not for [b]resale[/b], sharing or uploading."[/i]
Message: Posted by: Christopher_Rawlins (Aug 9, 2015 08:21AM)
Hi Everyone!

So my new book Drawing Thoughts is about to be released REALLY - REALLY soon.

In the meantime, I have some exciting news...

A Competition.

To celebrate the pending release of Drawing Thoughts I thought it would be fun to open this up to everyone on the Café.

How do you enter? Simply, everyone that purchases a copy of Drawing Thoughts directly from me will be entered into the competition.

The prizes Will be drawn at random. There will be two winners, first place and second place.

First place will win a one off, very special set of notes, personalised and signed by me, for the winner. The notes will include some of my favourite material that have published to date, alongside some unpublished extras. Additionally, these one off notes will be hand delivered to the winner by me. Lastly, the first place winner will be given the opportunity to spend the afternoon with me, where we can work on some of their material together.

Second place will win a one hour Skype session with me, where we talk about Drawing Thoughts and where I offer advice and tips on one trick or routine they are working on.

The winners will be drawn after the books release.

REMEMBER : The book will be released REALLY SOON! By signing up to the Drawing Thoughts mailing list, you will be entitled to a special launch discount price for the book, were you will also receive an extra bonus within your package. You can sign up here: http://drawingthoughts.yolasite.com

On the Drawing Thoughts website there is also some short videos and an audio interview with my good fiend and professional performer Luke Jermay, where we talk even more about the contents of the book.

Good luck to all those that enter, and I truly can't wait for you all to read and start using what I share within the book.

I'll be in touch.

Chris
That is one cool ass competition. Pick me, pick me LOL
[quote]On Aug 9, 2015, Christopher_Rawlins wrote:

Additionally, these one off notes will be hand delivered to the winner by me.

Chris [/quote]

Wow.
Message: Posted by: Christopher_Rawlins (Aug 11, 2015 01:44PM)
Hi All,

Quick update, the books have been proof read, and printed and were shipped today.

I paid express delivery so they should arrive tomorrow.

As soon as they do, the book will be launched.

I've done it this way to be sure that I don't take any orders without having the books physically in front of me out of respect for my customers.

Remember, everyone that purchases is entered into the above competition, which I'm really excited about.

I can't wait for you all to see what's inside the book and to start using the secrets within.

Also, remember to sign up here: http://drawingthoughts.yolasite.com/Register-Interest.php for a discounted book launch price.

I'll be in touch.

Christopher.
Always been a big fan of the drawing dupe plot, as it's an effect I perform a lot. I look forward to checking this out :-)
Message: Posted by: Christopher_Rawlins (Aug 12, 2015 05:16AM)
Hi Everyone!

Great news...Drawing Thoughts is now available to order!

I've had an overwhelming response so far with many people signing up to the mailing list and emailing me personally.

Mostly asking "When can I get my copy?".

You can now order the book here: http://drawingthoughts.yolasite.com/Order.php

I have the books right infront of me and they look fantastic.

Remember, if you are signed up to the Drawing Thoughts mailing list, you will have recieved an email that contains a link that will allow you to purchase the book at a discounted launch price.

I'm so excited for you all to read this.

Thanks so much for all the support so far.

Christopher.
I just placed my order. I am really looking forward to this release!

Thank you Chris for all your help!
I always support my collegues, so I just placed my order....and Chris is a clever guy too! I know this will be another winner :)
Order placed!! Oh I really hope I can play with this weekend and bust some minds.
I just placed my order! I I'm really curious to see the I.D.D. Method in print.

Thanks Chris!
Sorry Christoper but did mine post today? Lol it's just because I get kind of giddy and get withdrawl symptoms if I haven't opened a jiffy lag for a few days double LOL.

So it works over Skype? I've got relatives in New Zeakand and they always want to show them a trick. Could I really video call them and get them to draw a pic and I've duplicated it? That sounds cray!!
Message: Posted by: Christopher_Rawlins (Aug 12, 2015 03:14PM)
Simon,

Firstly, thanks for ordering Drawing Thoughts.

It's been a mad busy day, from the books arriving to all the orders flooding in, I can safely say that all orders placed before 4pm UK time were sent via Royal Mail today.

All orders are tracked, and you will have received tracking information through PayPal.

All orders placed after 4pm UK time will be posted first thing tomorrow morning, and again in the afternoon.

Hang tight, they will be with you so soon.

Skype wise, yes! You can Skype with someone, have them draw (away from the camera) and duplicate their image under very fair conditions.

Iv'e had a lot of fun with friends in America, Europe and down south over FaceTime too.

My favourite way to perform the I.D.D is of course, in person.

Also, remember you are getting bonus', great contributions from other professionals and many other methods to duplicate drawing too, not just the I.D.D.

Thanks for all your support and I'm truly over the moon with the amount of people that have taken an interest in my work.

I'll be in touch.

Christoper.
Just to put my mind at rest, I contacted Chris about IDD. With 'i' so many things, eg ipad, ipod, iphone etc., I was wondering whether the 'i' in IDD also involved the use of technology, and something I tend to steer away from in performance.

Chris assures me it does not, and with the IDD effect very simple and an off beat use of a certain principle.

Neil
I am very impressed. I placed my order and within mere hours, I get the shipping update. No pre-order hype and just super amazing customer service.

Great job Chris. Judging by Roulette and your Penguin Live Lecture, I am sure this will be another winner.

Keep up the great work!
I signed up, but did not get the per order price email notice.
Michael
Message: Posted by: Christopher_Rawlins (Aug 12, 2015 05:33PM)
[quote]On Aug 12, 2015, magicinsight wrote:
I signed up, but did not get the per order price email notice.
Michael [/quote]

Hi Michael,

Please give me your email address, or email me directly at: chrisrawlinsmentalist@googlemail.com and I'll be sure you are added to the mailing list and receive the discount email :)

Christopher.
Christopher,

THank you very much for your reply and PM. Perhaps because I signed up with two different emails, one of which is no longer valid, made things more confusing. I sincerely appreciate your kindness and courtesy. I will order your book tonight and look forward in reading it.

Best wishes to you and your family.
Michael
Message: Posted by: Christopher_Rawlins (Aug 12, 2015 06:36PM)
Thanks so much!

It will be sent first thing (UK time).

I know you'll love what's inside.

Christopher.
My order is in.

Thanks for the preorder price Christopher!
Message: Posted by: Christopher_Rawlins (Aug 13, 2015 04:36AM)
All orders up to date and shipped, you will have all received tracking information through PayPal.

Drawing Thoughts should be landing with you all soon.

Also, remember that everyone that buys the book is entered into a compassion.

First prize is a personalised and one off set of notes, signed and hand delivered by me, also with some time to work on material together.

Second prize, is an hour Skype session with me.

Thanks so much for all the support.

Christopher.
A very rare post from me here... like John Archer I haven't posted for yonks +1 but I've just ordered Chris' book. I rarely buy anything from the world of mentalism these days but having seen Chris' work in the past I've instantly ordered this. Can not wait to read it and will try share my thoughts. I've no doubt it'll be hugely inspiring, useful and find a way into my set within days.
Mine arrived this morning, that is amazing service Mr Rawlins!

my initial thoughts - I love this, it's a worker! I've only spent an hour or so flicking through the book but I'm mighty impressed. The format of the book is excellent, very well considered with Lots of detail. For me IDD is the main event but there are many other methods that are new and exciting. I'm going to grab bits for IDD on way home tonight and can't wait to perform this! I love inventive mind reading and this really is something very special.

>goes back to read book secretly at my desk<

Hodor out.
Over the years I have had contact with Chris and on each occasion have been impressed by his knowledge, his ability to think out of the box as well as his attention to detail. And it has been thrilling to watch him build successfully on his career, step by step.

I know he will have put great effort into his latest publication and, judging from feedback already in, it has already impressed those who have seen it. And have duly ordered. I know I have a treat in store.

Neil
Hey guys,

I am a sucker for effects that look like real magic/mentalism, and after hearing the interview between Luke and Chris, plus emailing Chris about a few questions I had, I placed my order 2 minutes ago, and am wildly pleased, just like Simon was.

Chris has excellent customer service, and responds right away and is there to answer any doubts or questions you may have before ordering.

His Penguin lecture was excellent, and I am sure this will be too.

I am looking forward to I.D.D. the most, but am sure the other methods will be just as good.

Thanks Chris

Alex
Hey guys,

Had a chance to chat with Chris today via a nice four hour Skype conversation that we've been meaning to have since he came to my neck of the woods nearly a year ago! Chris is a super busy guy, so him having a free moment between being a professional rockstar and mental performer to chat has been a real challenge for the both of us. Anyways...

We Skype performed a few effects for one another, talked music and then he went over some of the contents of the book with me to tinker with while I wait for my copy. I haven't seen everything, but I have seen the main effect and a few of the other, which are seriously SAD...by that I mean Simple And Direct (thank you Looch). I think my fellow investors are going to receive a really lovely labor of love from Chris that he has really worked hard on and the best part is you receive some wonderful additional work that is hidden inside that will really leave your audience speechless.

XX,
-Jakob
I've just ordered this and can't wait!!! I have spoken with Chris in the past and own some of his previous efforts and have always been impressed with his thought process and outside the box approach of a routine or prop! I've also been lucky enough to speak and deal with Luke Jermay in many occasions and if he endorses something it's usually dynamite! Chris is fast to respond and answers questions fast and upfront!!! Cheers Chris can't wait!!! 👍🏼
I just performed this for the first time and it's passed the wife test!. She was completely dumbfounded, went silent for a few minutes, I'll be honest I'm enjoying the peace & quiet.

This folks is pocket dynamite.
Message: Posted by: Christopher_Rawlins (Aug 14, 2015 03:46PM)
Hi Everyone.

So Drawing Thoughts has been posted to the U.S, Germany, Spain, UK, Singapore, Israel and many places in-between.

All orders are up to date. Everything has been sent tracked with a signature required on delivery.

I have such a small number of books. It's only been a couple of days but the first printing has nearly gone!

Don't worry, this is not a limited edition book! There will of course be some time between the last few selling and a new batch of books arriving.

Lastly, don't forget that everyone who purchases Drawing Thoughts is entered into the competition mentioned earlier in this thread.

Thanks again to everyone that has ordered.

I'll be in touch.

Christopher.
Hey guys,

I thought I would post my thoughts of my recent experience:

So I ordered the book from Chris, and this afternoon, Chris and I Skyped for about 2 hours just about, and we went through the book, especially the I.D.D.

Its a worker, money well spent, and cant wait to try it out.

It is something that you will do.

The price is right, and you will get your money's worth.

Endorsed by John Archer and Luke Jermay, what more do you want.

This is adaptable to parlour, close-up, walk around and even stage.

Something I look forward to playing with.

Thanks Chris

Alex
This is great, really. I love books like these, where you're given an updating of an old principle in a way which inspires you to think differently about creating effects in magic. Joining up methods and principles from different areas to create something new - it's something which I've enjoyed in Weber's work too, amongst others.

It's very much worth a purchase - I'll be making one up to have a go of; simple to make, organic in context and can be used for other unrelated effects without revealing the secret. But more than that; even if you don't use the trick, the thinking that went into it is something which one can be inspired by to create other, related or unrelated, effects. Looking forward to more work from Christopher.
Also, the star sign effect near the end of the book I imagine plays extremely well, for those doing walk around. Little gem, that.
Can it be used to dupe complicated drawing such as fish, a place etc; or just esp symbols type of drawings? How about thought of numbers?
I ordered a few days ago - can't wait to get it.
Yes it can be used to duplicate anything

All types of drawings
Dd at a gig tonight and they loved!
[quote]On Aug 15, 2015, saysold1 wrote:
I ordered a few days ago - can't wait to get it. [/quote]

Hi Brett, I hope let us know your honest thoughts!

Best wishes,
John
Christopher has also been an absolute pleasure to deal with, very helpful with a couple of questions I had on handling. Recommended!
Have now received my copy and what I especially like about the book is the way it has alerted me to a principle I do not recall having used in mentalism (although well-known in magic), and which can be used in many ways, not only in drawing duplication type effects. For me this well-produced book is a real eye opener and with several exciting possibilities to now explore.

Also of value are tips Chris gives about how to make the most of a drawing revelation and make it appear all the stronger. Again this can really enhance a presentation.

This is a thought-provoking and effect-producing read.

Neil
Neil,

Thank you very much for posting your opinion. I trust your opinions and glad that I purchased it.
Michael
[quote]On Aug 16, 2015, robd wrote:
Christopher has also been an absolute pleasure to deal with, very helpful with a couple of questions I had on handling. Recommended! [/quote]

I have met Chris at a lecture he gave in Rotterdam.
Very nice guy and very helpfull with sharing extra information on effects that weren't even part of the lecture.
If he ever comes around again near a city near mine I wouldn't doubt for a second to reserve a ticket for his lecture again!
I'm crazy into this idea but broke at moment. I'm getting paid in a week? Can you hold one for me :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:
Message: Posted by: Christopher_Rawlins (Aug 18, 2015 02:24PM)
Hi Chris (Good Name),

Thank for the interest in Drawing Thoughts.

The response has been so great that I only have 9 copies left of the first print run!

I'm unable to hold one for you, but drop me a message when you have the funds and I'll make sure you get a copy.

PLEASE NOTE: This is not a limited release, however there will of course be some delay between the last few selling and more being printed.

I will also be drawing (no pun intended) the two winners of the competition as soon as these last 9 copies have sold and been posted.

Thanks again to everyone for your support, I'm overwhelmed by how many people have been in touch and ordered this.

I'll be in touch.

Christopher
I just received this and read through the book(let). It's a small paperback, extremely well written and it contains some real gems.

I doubt I can add anything here that hasn't been said already; IDD has already been touted as being the stand-out item and I concur; it's brilliant. I'm also partial to the method in Enlighten-ce-ment too; a sneaky, quite delightful method!

If you have any interest at all in drawing duplication methods and routines you'll get more than your moneys worth here with IDD alone - and the rest ain't bad either!

Highly recommended!

Jamie
My book just arrived here in the States today. Really looking forward to getting into this, this weekend!

Thanks again Chris for all your help and the quick delivery! That is THE fastest shipping that I have ever received from across the pond.
[quote]On Aug 18, 2015, tmoca wrote:
My book just arrived here in the States today. Really looking forward to getting into this, this weekend!

Thanks again Chris for all your help and the quick delivery! That is THE fastest shipping that I have ever received from across the pond. [/quote]

That's the advantage of purchasing mentalism products; they usually get sent a few days before you actually order them ;-)
Mine arrived while I was on holiday, but just got back to find it waiting for me. :-)
I.D.D is the star of this little book and I had forgotten some of the little details that make it so workable.
Having said that, there is a whole lot of great little drawing dupe ideas and tips hidden in it.
Great stuff, really nice. Right I am off again. Might pop back in 2018.

John
Ordered this last night as I love this type of effect so really interested to hear Chris's thoughts and ideas behind this.

Will post a review hopefully sometime next week when I've had a chance to check it out :-)
Mine arrived today! I had a special request for Chris & he fulfilled said request quickly and with a smile! Can't wait to read the book!

Nathan
Very good customer service!
Thank you Chris.
Ordered!
Reading this is just brilliant. So many happy customers. When done Chris. I may pick this up soon myself. How many are available?

Kind regards,

Joel
Message: Posted by: Christopher_Rawlins (Aug 20, 2015 10:52AM)
Hey Joel,

Long time no speak!

Very few copies left now, as soon as the last few have sold the competition will be drawn.

As said previously this isn't a limited edition, I will be printing more.

All the best,

Christopher.
Should of read well done Chris, of course :)
Excellent. Fingers crossed I'll get it in time. Just on a break from performing in sunny Slough.

Keep up the good work.

Joel.
It's arrived and I love it! I'll do proper review tomorrow if I get time.
Wow, quick shipping Chris. Can't wait to delve into this over the next week. Cheers!
Received this last week and having had a chance to check it out and really happy with my purchase. In the days of overpriced mentalism books this is really good value for money.

If you're a fan of the drawing dupe plot I would highly recommend this as there's lots of great ideas on how the various methods discussed can be used in close-up and on stage. As mentioned previously, the stand out effect is without a shadow of a doubt I.D.D and having had a few days to mull it over I've even thought of another way this method could be utilised as I'm sure others will do too. I always love it when one effect inspires others. It's also great that the bonus effect the method to a previously marketed effect was included here.

I'd also like to mention that this is my first dealing with Chris and he has been superb to deal with and the delivery was very very quick.
Thank you Chris and I look forward to seeing more of your work in the future.

Matt :-)
Loving it so far! I have read right up to all the bonus material. A lot of really fresh ideas for the DD!

Nathan
Got mind at the post office yesterday - look forward to diving in.
I've read this properly now and here is what I think after taking some more time to mull it all over....
To start with this book is full of workable new exciting methods and like Chris and Luke Jermay say 'Off beat' approaches to the drawing dupe effect.
I found everything in here useful but as people above have said, it's the IDD that I'm most excited to start using!

I like that If I want I can draw first before the spectator without any more effort. I like how clean this all feels and how brilliantly simple this particular approach is.
It's certainly 'a worker'. A'm excited to combine the IDD with my personal presentation for the drawing duplication effect that I have been using for a bit.
The book is well formatted, neat, and has so much detail that It makes the learning experience very simple.

I can't wait to try this out, it's my new 'thing' I'll always have with me. If you like this premise I'm certain you will get a lot from this book.

Very happy customer and Chris has been a pleasure to deal with, book arrived very quickly and neatly packaged too. :bigsmile:
I must be honest and say I don't really care for this. I'm not from the school of thought that says mentalism doesn't need to be 100% perfect. Sometimes this will be very close. Sometimes it won't.

I think my main issue is that it feels like mental magic. Which is fine, but not for me. Isolating a drawing in a stack of cards just makes no sense to me.

Also, you're not actually duplicating a drawing. You're predicting or guessing it. The drawings will almost never actually Match 100%.

It also doesn't lend itself particularly easily to stage performances.

I won't use this.

I do though really enjoy Chris's writing style and think it's a very well produced project.
I'm referring to the primary/main method in the book by the way. I realise there are others.
Message: Posted by: Christopher_Rawlins (Aug 30, 2015 11:15AM)
Hi Aukt,

I have sent you a PM, and I don't often come by here, however:

If you perform the IDD as written within the book, where your spectator draws first - you are very much duplicating their thought of image and not predicting it.

However with the IDD approach, you can draw first if you so wish.

I suggest you re read the entire book, If the IDD isn't for you, you have a wealth of other ,methods included within Drawing Thoughts that you can start using.

I hope this helps.

Christopher.
Hey guys.

Luke Jermays Contribution to this is great because it allows you to perform on stage or parlour where you draw first and then the spectator uses their own intuition to correctly guess what you drew

This is powerful because you just turned the effect around into Spectator as Mind Reader

Also with IDD you can cleanly show your drawing that it matches what the spectator drew but not so much a prediction effect but moré of an intuition effect of the vibes you were receiving from the spectator for you to duplicate the image

I guess it all depends how you frame it and present the effect

It works for me. Its a worker.

Alex
Thanks for the reply here Christopher - I'm on a rubbish gprs browser so can't get the pm open.

Anyway - I stand firm on IDD not being a drawing duplication. Don't get me wrong, sometimes it will be. But many times it won't.

By way of example, here are some things I've had drawn recently during sneak thief:

Television
Wheelchair
Drawers
Paintbrush
Credit card
Laptop
Microwave
Snail
Umbrella
Clock
Spoon
Fork
Cow
Chair

If these images came up while using your IDD method, I'd have been wrong every time bar one. Sure, I'd build up my version as I go along, but that's a metric ton of fails, and no guarantee that as I build my 'system' that they are any more likely to come up again.

Using the IDD system you will never accurately duplicate a spectators drawing. You'll come close, no doubt. But you'll not match the drawing in the way that you might with say a para pad or some such.

Here's what I mean. If they draw a wristwatch, you can reveal that you drew a clock. Similar, but not a drawing duplication.

But if they draw a chair, you will fail and have no convincing out.

Or if they draw a fork, you will fail and have no convincing out.

Last week, I had someone draw a mug with three stars in it, and a cloud above it, with rain going into the mug. Using IDD I would have totally failed with no convincing out.

I just want to be honest. I would have liked to have read this view before buying a product that I apparently cannot resell.

I loved Christopher's penguin lecture. And the production quality of this book is great. And I really respect John and Luke's opinions. But I don't recommend this particular release. Your mileage may of course vary.
Message: Posted by: Christopher_Rawlins (Aug 30, 2015 05:27PM)
Aukt,

Thanks for the reply.

The IDD is a drawing duplication, admittedly, like every other method we use as performer's, there is something to it, but the perceived effect is very much that you duplicate a thought of image.

I am not suggesting that you only use my IDD, and maybe it isn't for you. However for me, many other professional performers and supporters of my work, it works very well.

I have had countless successful performances over the past 18 months using this method.

The crucial part to it's success is really using it.

Secondly, customising this to the demographic that you perform for.

In your case, this may take time, but I assure you it is worth it.

I also stress that this is a public forum, so please try not to expose any of the books contents.

I'm so glad that you enjoy my other work too, and I struggle to believe that within thin whole volume, there isn't something you can work and use in the real world.

Thank you for supporting my work, and I hope you continue to do so.

Christopher.
As Chris said, if performed how he intends from what's written in the book, the spectator will absolutely believe that you read their mind and duplicated their drawing. Not predicted it. Although you drawing first is possible and is suggested in the book.

I'm also sure that if you follow what Chris teaches in the book and actually use this for real people, you will find always find success through performance.

I think the IDD is smart, fun to perform and so far the reactions for me have been amazing. Thanks Chris.

P.s the rest of the book is great too, tonne of great stuff
I ordered mine yesterday and can't wait to get it.
Looking forward to receiving this book.

Joel.
I'm reading through the book and I think Aukt makes some extremely valid points.
This is probably the best thing I've bought all year - so much potential to adapt this to different styles and presentations.
Message: Posted by: Christopher_Rawlins (Aug 31, 2015 04:34AM)
Just a quick note, although these are covered in the book.

If you have any concern at all, you can either: make a more comprehensive IDD, or put in the time to adapt this to your audiences/ spectators.

OR

Limit the spectator to a category - Bands, Films etc.

Another key element to my success with this approach (as explained within Drawing Thoughts) is the leading language that has your spectator draw a particular type of image.

This is all explained within the book.

If nothing else, you have a wealth of other methods that are more traditional that you can start using right away.

Thank you all so much for supporting my work.

On another note - the competition is very close to being drawn!

More information soon.

Christopher
Honest opinion - I won't be buying again from Chris due to the ban on being able not to resale

I really want to sell this

Don't get me wrong - I am sure some people will love this - I liked reading it but nothing there will be of use to me personally as I found like aukt the core method not very plausible ie the burying of the card..... The only method I might use but likely won't as I don't use a wallet specified specs is the first offering - as its clean simple and direct

It's my own fault as I didn't notice the do not resell in small print at the bottom of a web page - else I would never have bought this in the first place

Caveat emptor

Again I'm sure some will love it - not me based on my own style

If Chris lifts the ban ( as people like maven berglas etc never put such restrictions on their work - because why fear if the work will stand I suppose) - I'll sell mine here on the Café.

No insult Chris - just not for me and now I can't sell it as a book.... As I'll honour the request even though I think it makes no sense to me.

Oh if I win the competition and you come to Canada I'll explain in morre detail over a nice beverage.
The small print says you can't sell it, upload it or share it but it doesn't prohibit giving it away to an
old friend! :)
[quote]On Aug 31, 2015, danramsden wrote:
This is probably the best thing I've bought all year - so much potential to adapt this to different styles and presentations. [/quote]

Please.

This seems a good example of respected and well known friends (Archer,Jermay) helping to back up a pal's release.

So far it overall disappoints.

Others have left their reviews in detail which pretty much covers what should be known. The IDD is a new take on classic ideas - granted. But I don't think it's groundbreaking by any stretch. Clever? Kinda. Usable? Questionable. Worth the price of entry for this cute little book? Meh. I won't use it.

Caveat emptor.
Was waiting patiently for your review Brett. Thanks. More money saved.
If Chris lifts the ban ( as people like maven berglas etc never put such restrictions on their work

What work Doctor ?
I've ordered this didn't see cannot re-sell note .
DR
[quote]On Aug 31, 2015, pegasus wrote:
Was waiting patiently for your review Brett. Thanks. More money saved. [/quote]

Your $ not mine LOL... :-)
I think it's superb, I'm veery happy with it.
Awesome!
[quote]On Aug 31, 2015, Bill Cushman wrote:
The small print says you can't sell it, upload it or share it but it doesn't prohibit giving it away to an
old friend! :) [/quote]

I think that may fall under sharing concept..... Let me check the dictionaries - I think more if I toss it out to some random location and someone stumbles upon it by accident maybe that gets around the barriers.

On the other hand, if you really want to know - just put down the cash and find out. As mentioned - some people might like it. It might be you.... Since you like the cartel vicarious offering..... If am no longer sure of your tastes.
I really don't want to get into this, but there's no way that an author can legally prevent resale of a book by the owner of that book.

He's living in a fantasy world if he believes that.

Look it up.
Agreed Jack. I can't imagine the Police knocking on your door if you did decide to sell. :rotf:
Anyone wants to trade mine - get in touch. Trading is not prohibited.

But please know that I don't think you'll use it.
I'm not saying you shouldn't honour the creator's wishes if they were made explicitly before you purchased, but I am not convinced you cant put a bit of small print in an advert and expect that to constitute a contract / agreement as their has to be positive acceptance.. Obviously uploading and sharing illegally is a different matter.

I must admit, I did seriously think of buying this, but like a lot of magic it may or may not work for me personally, or give me something new. For this reason, I often sell magic that isn't bad; it just doesn't suit me. I don't think I'm prepared to be potentially stuck with a £45 book that could be brilliant, could be mediocre or could be bad. If I'd just bought it and later discovered the small print, I'd have simply sold it anyway if I didn't like it, but I cant with a clear conscience buy it now and then claim I didn't know.

I would urge Chris to reconsider, or at least be very very clear on this stipulation. It should at least be mentioned next to the paypal buttons as many people will read forums like this and just buy.

All that said; it sounds interesting and I wish you the best with it.
Much of the attention has gone on the effect IDD but there are also other items in the book, including how to make up 'Reveal.' Also, while I would not use IDD, it gave me two good ideas - one inspiring a DD effect of my own and the other using the workings behind IDD for other effects. I am being vague here, but the workings could be useful to certain business card effects.

I do, though, feel Chris should remove his restriction about resale.

Neil
I have heard that this is mediocre at best and quite frankly the people who I know who bought are amazed that Jermay and Archer have endorsed this at all . Very very average indeed apparently and the rest of the book apart from Idd is even worse .
[quote]On Aug 2, 2015, archini wrote:

If you get it and are disappointed then I will be surprised, but I will apologise and send you in the direction of a some guys who will stooge a few things and take your money anyway.

Right I am off to hide behind a tree.

John [/quote]

Ahem!
I bought the booklet and I've quite enjoyed Chris's ideas.
Chris's writing style Is easy to follow and the booklet is fully illustrated and diagrammed throughout.

My current favourite 'methods/effects' in the booklet are the dry wipe peek idea, Reveal and IDD has set my imagination running, like the idea. The Zodiac idea is good too.
I look forward to playing with these ideas and I can see IDD playing well with a specific 'category'. I can't say more than that.

Once I've played and performed with these ideas I'll be sure to write back here after a few live performances and let you know how it went.

Joel.
[quote]On Aug 18, 2015, Christopher_Rawlins wrote:
Hi Chris (Good Name),

The response has been so great that I only have 9 copies left of the first print run!

I'm unable to hold one for you, but drop me a message when you have the funds and I'll make sure you get a copy.

PLEASE NOTE: This is not a limited release, however there will of course be some delay between the last few selling and more being printed.

I will also be drawing (no pun intended) the two winners of the competition as soon as these last 9 copies have sold and been posted.

Thanks again to everyone for your support, I'm overwhelmed by how many people have been in touch and ordered this.

I'll be in touch.

Christopher [/quote]

Looking forward to hearing about the "big drawing" promised.

Should be time by now to see who wins - and one lucky person apparently will experience Chris flying out to greet them!
Seems like your angry about something and many of your posts have been stretched too far now. You seem to be undermining Christopher personally now and it's coming across a little silly. Reviews are your personal opinions and not a cast iron guarantee of a products success or failure. And neither are mine or yours but to keep bouncing back like you are is now just disrespectful.

Joel.
Ok, I tried to salvage this and Phantom by combining it with DT!

Except when I tried to use Phantom - it had no ink!

However, I globbed a wad of goo to an IDD and I got a silly putty impression..... I transferred a picture to a participant's forehead and he freaked when he saw it in the reflection of my two glass eyes.

YAY! By combining these two purchases I have created THE ULTIMATE SOMETHING OR OTHER!!!!!!!

YEEHAAAA - Caveat Emptor indeedee

(I still think we should be able to sell this book IMHO)....
Mentalism authors seem to be making up a lot of fictional rights for themselves lately.

At least in the U.S., the First Sale Doctrine provides the right to resell the purchased book.

[i]The first sale doctrine, codified at 17 U.S.C. § 109, provides that an individual who knowingly purchases a copy of a copyrighted work from the copyright holder receives the right to sell, display or otherwise dispose of that particular copy, notwithstanding the interests of the copyright owner.[/i]

http://www.justice.gov/usam/criminal-resource-manual-1854-copyright-infringement-first-sale-doctrine

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/109

Yes, the book can be freely re-sold.
Mine is for sale.
I have to agree with others on this thread and say that this book was quite dissapointing. There were a couple of reveal subtleties that I liked, but overall, definitely not worth the asking price.
[quote]On Sep 9, 2015, aukt wrote:
Mine is for sale. [/quote]

Did Chris show up with the Psychic Mafia and take you out yet? I guess if he did you won't post.... unless you can send a psychic message from the other side.
[quote]On Sep 4, 2015, saysold1 wrote:
[quote]On Aug 18, 2015, Christopher_Rawlins wrote:
Hi Chris (Good Name),

I'll be in touch.

Christopher [/quote]

Looking forward to hearing about the "big drawing" promised.

Should be time by now to see who wins - and one lucky person apparently will experience Chris flying out to greet them! [/quote]

Very good point Brett. I wonder who the (un)lucky buyer was?
Chris seems to have gone "poof" for the past few weeks.

I sold my book (well, a really small kids size book of fables) to a lucky buyer this past week. Now I feel much better except for my lightened wallet. Caveat emptor.
Mine is still available if anyone wants it!
No thanks. :rotf:
Has anybody tried any of the material?
I went for the impromptu peek wallet idea. I did a little work on it and tweeked it a little and tried it out just to replace my usual peek for a routine I perform and it worked really well.

Kind regards,

Joel.
I think it's excellent and have been using with great success. Just because a small subset of inexperienced amateur magicians decide they don't like it, doesn't make their opinion right. Amazingly, even I've been wrong before but not about this, it's a very worthy addition to the literature.

Feel free to tuck into your pipe dreams from paddlers of pre-show.
After buying the Leading Thoughts DVD I knew I should stay away from this book.
[quote]On Sep 12, 2015, JoelDickinson wrote:
Has anybody tried any of the material?
I went for the impromptu peek wallet idea. I did a little work on it and tweeked it a little and tried it out just to replace my usual peek for a routine I perform and it worked really well.

Kind regards,

Joel. [/quote]

As mentioned - this was the only effect I liked and it wasn't something I'd use personally based on my own wallet.
[quote]On Sep 12, 2015, simon hughes wrote:
I think it's excellent and have been using with great success. Just because a small subset of inexperienced amateur magicians decide they don't like it, doesn't make their opinion right. Amazingly, even I've been wrong before but not about this, it's a very worthy addition to the literature.

Feel free to tuck into your pipe dreams from paddlers of pre-show. [/quote]

Can you please point out who these inexperienced amateur magicians are? Are you including me? Brett?

As mentioned its not for me and I have already pointed out as have others some of the issues very clearly - my major beef is the not selling it clause which I honour. I will keep it next to my PHANTOM pen.

As for you - your comment has no facts to them as you have no idea how many like it or not, who bought it, and whose experience you just insulted.

You sir, owe many an apology IMHO.

Glad you love it - maybe you can post a youtube of you performing IDD someday to show us a practical real world use of it.
[quote]On Sep 12, 2015, mysticalsales wrote:
After buying the Leading Thoughts DVD I knew I should stay away from this book. [/quote]

Maybe that means you can join us "inexperienced subset of amateur magicians" then.... and be welcome!
Message: Posted by: Christopher_Rawlins (Sep 12, 2015 07:16PM)
Hi Everyone,

After printing 100 books, I have 1 copy left, when this is sold, I will draw thew competition, as promised.

My lack of time here is due to being back on tour, opening for Luke Jermay, whilst also having shows In Germany, Ireland and around the UK, as well as needing to sleep, eat and do other things outside of Magic.

Thanks so much for all your support with this project.

I'll be in touch,

Christopher.
[quote]On Sep 12, 2015, Christopher_Rawlins wrote:
Hi Everyone,

After printing 100 books, I have 1 copy left, when this is sold, I will draw thew competition, as promised.

My lack of time here is due to being back on tour, opening for Luke Jermay, whilst also having shows In Germany, Ireland and around the UK, as well as needing to sleep, eat and do other things outside of Magic.

Thanks so much for all your support with this project.

I'll be in touch,

Christopher. [/quote]

Guess so busy can't answer the customer questions here. Must be busy indeed since this discussion has been going on for weeks here and you were all over it when things were more of a positive spin. Must just be coincidence I guess.

Best of luck.
I am an inexperienced Magician - you got me Simone. Sniff.
Message: Posted by: Christopher_Rawlins (Sep 29, 2015 06:03AM)
Hi everyone,

Just to say Drawing Thoughts has now sold out.

I have had so much interest from magic suppliers, and many individuals so I can confirm that sometime in the near future it will see a second printing.

Now the final copies have sold and been sent, I can say that soon I'll be drawing the two winners of the competition.

Details of the prizes are on they thread.

Thanks again so much for all the support.

I'll be in touch.

Chris
Thanks Chris!

I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Although I will not be using the main principle directly, there were a few other bits in there, that I will most definitely be using. The book also prompted me to seek out a Reveal, which will be going right into my show.

Thanks again.
Message: Posted by: Christopher_Rawlins (Sep 29, 2015 07:42AM)
Hi Tmoca,

That's great to hear, thank you.

I'll be in touch.

Christopher.
Message: Posted by: Christopher_Rawlins (Oct 23, 2015 06:45AM)
Hi,

I've had a busy couple of months since the books release. I'm now sat at my desk for the first time in what feels like a long time. I've had many people asking about competition I announced on the Magic Café, if you didn't hear about it, here it is.

Everyone who purchased the book has been entered. Two winners. One wins a custom, personalised set of lecture notes, hand delivered by me. The second wins an hour's Skype session with me where we can talk about ideas and work on some material together.

In first place, we have Café user 'Robd' - congratulations you will soon have me arriving at your door with the custom notes, expecting a cup of tea.

In second place, we have 'Simon Hughes' - I'm looking forward to Skyping with you.

Can both winners please contact me via email at: chrisrawlinsmentalist@gmail.com to claim their prizes and arrange times and dates that work for us all.

I can also announce that even though Drawing Thoughts has sold out it's first printing, Penguin Magic have taken an order of the book and I am currently in discussion with some UK dealers about stocking the book.

Thanks again for all your support, I have much more to share, but now it's time to wait.

I'll be in touch.

Christopher.
Wow cool banannas I've never won anything before!.
Simon (and Rob) congratulations!

By looking at your photo I can see that you are pretty amazed by winning this prize :bg:
Message: Posted by: Christopher_Rawlins (Nov 30, 2015 10:45AM)
HI,

Just a heads up: Drawing Thoughts will soon be available from various UK, and US magic dealers.

After ordering a large quantity to fulfil orders from these dealers, I also ordered a small number to reserve for lecture and personal sales.

If you are interested: All the information is here: http://drawingthoughts.yolasite.com

Thanks again for supporting my work,

I'll be in touch.

Christopher.
I am having problem with the order link. Is it working ?
Message: Posted by: Christopher_Rawlins (Dec 1, 2015 01:21AM)
Hey C Dunlop Magic,

I've had multiple other orders through since I posted above and just tested the button and it seemed okay.

If the problem persists, you or anyone can PayPal the amount to: chrisrawlinsmentalist@googlemail.com

Thanks for your interest in Drawing Thoughts.

Christopher
Message: Posted by: Christopher_Rawlins (Dec 1, 2015 06:04AM)
I also meant to mention...

Anyone that purchases Drawing Thoughts directly from me will receive a complimentary set of my 2015 lecture notes too.

Christopher.
Pdf file or booklet?
Thanks Christopher!
Message: Posted by: Christopher_Rawlins (Dec 1, 2015 08:15AM)
Good question, both Drawing Thoughts and the free notes are printed, physical items.

All orders placed will be posted tomorrow morning.

Christopher
I got my prize last night and I'm still buzzing as I've never won anytging in my life before lol. We talked about the book, the stuff I do in my act and also Chris fooled me with sommit crazy that I've never seen before but I'm sworn to secrecy 😎 The best part was just chatting to Chris, he's a nice guy. Since buying the book I've been playing around with a few of the approaches inside, my favourite is the IDD - me and chris talked about it for sometime. I had a blast, thanks so much Chriss
Message: Posted by: Christopher_Rawlins (Dec 4, 2015 04:05PM)
Hi Simon,

Glad you enjoyed!

Here is my updated website where you can find Drawing Thoughts: http://c-r-products.yolasite.com

Christopher.
The version that can be done over Skype or Facetime---what is the success rate on that?

Kevin
I've got a bunch of friends in far fung parts of the world and have done IDD 12-15 times on Skype/FT over the last few months - it's always been a barnstormer! I ve had no problems at all and I spoke to my uncle last weekend was still raiving about it. For me the ability to blow minds of people thousands of miles away is IDDs biggest benefit.

Si
Hi Christopher,
Just saw your new Site, I ordered DT yesterday using the old site.
Did you recive my order?

Thanks,
Thomas
Message: Posted by: Christopher_Rawlins (Dec 5, 2015 12:38PM)
Hi Thomas,

Yes, I did, it's all packaged up and will be shipped on Monday.

Thank you for your order, and you'll also get my 2015 notes :)

Simon - thanks for the kind words.

Nonprofitmagic - the Skype/Facetime version is as reliable as the live, in person version of the IDD.

It's something I love, that you can have a lot of fun with, and evolve and adapt to suit you and your audiences best.

I'll be in touch,

Christopher.
Met up with Chris yesterday - a genuinely lovely, generous, clever and talented guy - had a great day and he fooled the arse off me and my other half a number of times, despite having to work around a 4 month-old baby and all the 'entertainment' that brings.

I think there are some more copies of the book available - I'd entirely recommend a purchase, as indeed I did before I won the prize. Even if the main event isn't for you, there's a tonne of thoughtful work within this book and I honestly think you'd be hard-pressed to either find nothing in the book directly for you, or have it not inspire you indirectly.

As well as the personalised lecture notes, he also kindly passed on a copy of his Penguin lecture on DVD which I'm looking forward to getting stuck into. Clearly I'm going to have to buy his Leading Thoughts DVD now too - *** YOU CHRIS.
Message: Posted by: Christopher_Rawlins (Dec 23, 2015 06:11AM)
Rob - it was great to meet you, thanks for the very kind words. I hope you enjoy the custom notes and my penguin LIVE lecture.

Which leads me to this...

Anyone who purchased Drawing Thoughts from my website: http://c-r-products.yolasite.com - will also receive a FREE physical copy of my Penguin LIVE DVD included with their copy.

Have a great Christmas everybody!

Christopher.
Great news. Id love a watch :)