(Close Window)
Topic: What to buy?
I have got quite a few books and videos on magic now and I am looking for some packet tricks card tricks. Along with any close-up/coin magic. I don't want to spend more than around $50 this time so can anyone please recommend a list of tricks I could buy?
Philipmac,

If you've got "quite a few" books and videos, then why on earth are you looking for more tricks? You should be able to make up scores of your own!

If you want to get something to use in close-up, get a C/S coin and an Okito Box, learn to use them and save the rest of your money.
I bought Michael Skinner's Ultimate Three Card Monte last week and it's so great! It's fun to practice it and it will be stunning to perform it when I'm ready.

Wish I could apply it into a whole deck routine though.

F.
Invisible Deck always gets a great reaction!!
NFW is really great! I made the gimmick myself but it's always better to buy! :)
Fengenroll: Nice to read that you wrote "it will be stunning to perform when I'm ready". That is exactly the right way to do it, that goes for all magic though, practice is most important key. But for applying it into a whole deck routine, PM me and I'll share the routines I perform.

Philipmac, I second Mr. Marucci's advice. It's not how much magic you can get for $50, it's the quality of the products you decide to get and dedication you put into it.

But a good place to start is with Fengenroll's advice. The Skinner's Monte is one of the best Packet tricks out there and it's a great trick to get you started building up patter and confidence in your performance.

-e-
I agree with the Okito Box. Roy Kuepper's has a great deal on boxes on his site. Check them out.
I second the motion for NFW, also take a look at Hole Sensation or a good Wild Card set. For coins, you can't go wrong with a sweet Scotch and Soda!
[quote]
On 2004-02-20 06:12, fengenroll wrote:
I bought Michael Skinner's Ultimate Three Card Monte last week and it's so great! It's fun to practice it and it will be stunning to perform it when I'm ready.

Wish I could apply it into a whole deck routine though.

F.
[/quote]
I have heard that this trick is harder for left-handed people. Is this true? And if so by how much?
I'd check out Twisted Sisters. I think it's the best packet trick available - and easy to perform!
I just have to agree with the guys, Skinner's three card monte is the thing to do.

A for your books and videos, I suggest you read/watch them again, you'll see something pop up again.

Enjoy magic,
Rannie
As for card packets, Wild Card is great. For coins, Scotch and Soda is a pleaser.
Can someone please tell me what exactly is NFW? Thanks!
Jmsilhy,

You show four jokers. One by one they start to turn face down in the packet. You turn a third one over to show all four are now face down. Then you turn the cards face up and they're all aces.

See penguinmagic.com for a video demo.
I second Mr. Marucci.

Second, go for books and possibly videos instead of purchasing separate tricks. *Much* bigger bang for the buck. Besides, specifically regarding "packet tricks", consider how many professional magicians you've seen perform these types of tricks.

Go out and perform instead. You'll learn a lot more than what you can buy.
If you still want a packet trick after all the good advice above, try "Princess Card Trick" by Daryl and Patrick Page's "Three Card Monte" by Cards by Martin—two powerful easy-to-do stunners!

Don
Right now my favorite packet trick is Daryl's Crossed Thought. I think the effect has more impact than some of the other tricks mentioned, and I was really surprised at how minimal the sleight of hand is.

Eric.
NFW stands for:

"No Freakin' Way!"

Substitute your favorite expletive for the middle word (I have to be at least PG here, LOL)

Doug
First of all to philipmac no it isn't really harder for lefties you just have to fan the cards the opposite way because there bicycle cards so its the same for a deck of bicycles.Anyway one of the best small packet card tricks I think is bicycle built for five by ton onaska I think if I'm wrong I'm sorry.But there are thosands and many great ones.Incedentally another one that springs to mind is the one juan Tamariz has performed many times on T.V. when the cards keep changes faces and backs.I think this is by oliver mckenzie and can be found in ken brookes book called the unique years originally published by supreme magic called the drink trick.andy
Invisible Deck
Twisted Sisters
Revolver By Oz Pearlman(Penguinmagic.com)
Sponge Balls
Stripper deck
What about the Xpert. Is it good, and how many times can you use it before buying a refil.
Definitely agree on Michael Skinner's Ultimate three card monte, it is totally hard hitting, not to mention you can rip some lunch off your pals. Other packet tricks I do are twisted sisters, daryl's presto printo, and for a simple coin routine the one where you bite the quarter and blow it back together. I don't exactly recall the name, but I know there's different names for it.
Am not sure about xpert but hear good things about it. its on my list.but I agree with all above that NFW is very good and twisted sisters is great and three card monte is good to,and for coins go for SS and coin bite you can pick everything up for around 50 bucks..
Oh thanx to all who mention's TWISTED SISTER'S throughout this site, ive been to some site's to check it a few time's before and really didn't grasp it due to the poor description's , I realise this now ive been to penguin magic and seen it on the demo !!

What a killer... http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=24

Yehoo..Odered.
[quote]
On 2004-02-23 05:10, huggie50 wrote:
As for card packets, Wild Card is great. For coins, Scotch and Soda is a pleaser.
[/quote]
Is this the wild card your talking about.

http://www.magicproshop.com/index.php?action=item&substart=&id=692

Also do you know of any video demos of it or a more detailed explanation