(Close Window)
Topic: Social media marketing
Hello everyone

I was wondering if anyone had any advice or tips for using social media sites like Facebook and Twitter for marketing purposes. Do you find one better than the other?

Thanks
All such are terrible invasions of privacy and will be ignored by sensible people. ;)

of course, sensible people aren't using these sites so any method could work well.

Studies have shown that leaving an "image impression " is more important than any attempt at "message"
so, have a visual USP connection first before designing the ad.

In other words, you must have something unique to offer.
[quote]On Aug 25, 2015, funsway wrote:
All such are terrible invasions of privacy and will be ignored by sensible people. ;)

of course, sensible people aren't using these sites so any method could work well.

Studies have shown that leaving an "image impression " is more important than any attempt at "message"
so, have a visual USP connection first before designing the ad.

In other words, you must have something unique to offer. [/quote]

What in the WORLD are you talking about?! I run a marketing and design business and social media is one of the STRONGEST avenues of building an online relationship to your targeted market!

I am curious to know where you are getting your advise from. Facebook is one the LARGEST sources for ad campaigns. With over a BILLION users worldwide, you would be a fool not to be using Facebook for your business!

Of course the main issue is that most people buy ads and boost their posts without proper targeting and wind up losing money. What happens next? They bad mouth Facebook because they did't map out their advertising campaign well enough nor understand how to track their metrics.

Social media offers a business to build a relationship with their audience through branding and engagement. There's a RIGHT way to use social media and a WRONG way. My guess is that you have using it the latter.
Research studies on "entertainment psychology" and data mining fallacy.

The time placement of an image in a TV ad is more important than the message, but that has nothing to do with "target marketing."

Yes, the problem is that people buy from spam ads and those based on emotion rather than reason.

That fact that people buy from social media ads does not mean the advertisers are using "target marketing."

You might ask a question about a make of tractor sitting in a field. This does not mean you wish to buy a tractor,
or be assaulted by ads for farm equipment for the next ten years.

dare respond to a posting for camper shell for your ford truck and you get calls from dealerships about new trucks. That is not target marketing. Where is "the connection?"

Yes, branding and engagement -- that is what a USP connection is or should be.

Most social media is not "targeted" at all, so how can the marketing be? Hitting "like" on a posting does not mean you like every item mentioned in the posting,
and the fact that you now alert hundreds of strangers about this "like"

If they ever ad a "don't like" button does this mean we will never get spam ads from products mentioned?

Nah -- social marketing assumes people are idiots -- and they are right.

look at what is happening on the Iphone app mess over blocking unwanted ads. There is no way to sort out good ads from bad --

bad being any ad that does not say it is an ad and tries to trick someone into pressing a button. "relationship?" ha!
My bread and butter, at this time, are birthday parties, and my market demographic - mothers of young kids, are on Facebook. So I offer an autographed digital picture of the birthday child making a rabbit come out of a hat. I setup a camera that films that section of my show and then I pull out a good still shot.

I tell them that they can post the picture if they choose and I also ask, upon the initial booking, if I can post the photo myself. Some parents say 'yes'. It's free advertising and it adds value to my services.

I also offer non-profits and fundraiser a nice discount on my show in return for 'liking' me on Facebook and posting a good photo.