(Close Window)
Topic: Pen OR Pencil by Mickael Chatelain
Wow another nice looking visual trick being released soon, the date has to be confirmed.

Check out the video here http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/paul-harris-magic-tricks/pen-or-pencil-by-mickael-chatelain--trick.html

PEN or PENCIL!! For the first time, No playing card needed! An exclusive and very visual effect, so easy to perform! Based on a well known handling, this effect will fool your spectators!

The well-known English magician, Dynamo, has done this several times on his TV show, "Dynamo: Magician Impossible." Today it's your turn to do "Pen or Pencil" for your spectators.
The simplest things are often the most difficult to implement. Here's the proof!

PEN or PENCIL
By Mickael Chatelain

Today, Mickael Chatelain is offering his new creation, Pen or Pencil. Based on a simple principle, this new, extremely visual effect will completely fool your spectators.

This time, no playing cards, just two writing implements - one transparent Bic pen with its cap and a wooden pencil.

Take out the Bic and the pencil in front of your audience. You have nothing else in your hands. A wooden pencil in one hand, a Bic pen in the other, that's it! Invite one of you spectators to chose either.

Let's say he chooses the wooden pencil. Place it into your trouser pocket, leaving only the Bic pen in your hand - nothing else.

Remove the cap from the Bic while explaining that you'll make it disappear merely by blowing on it. You don't believe me? Close your fingers around the cap and blow on your hand. When you open your hand, the trick seems to have failed as the cap is still right there in the palm of your hand! It hasn't vanished!

Explain that it's not the cap that was supposed to disappear, but the Bic pen!

I don't have to describe the reaction of your spectators when they notice that you are no longer holding the Bic pen in the the other hand but rather the wooden pencil!!!

The Bic has completely disappeared without a trace! A disappearance in full view! Your spectators won't believe their eyes. With just a fleeting glance at the cap, the Bic has changed places with the wooden pencil!

It's completely impossible. You haven't moved a muscle! You then proudly take the Bic from your pocket where moments ago you had put the wooden pencil.

An absolutely unbelievable transposition! An effect that we guarantee will drive your spectators crazy! You may, if you wish, hand out both the Bic and the pencil for examination at the end of the routine.

Do it for yourself in front of a mirror. You'll fool yourself, so strong is the illusion!

Take Note:
No pulls, no manipulation!
You have only the Bic and the pencil in your hands, nothing else.
The pen and the pencil are really different; no one could confuse them.
You can learn to effect the change in five minutes!
Perfect for close-up or in the street. You'll keep it on you at all times.
Instant reset!
Delivered complete and ready to go!

The DVD will explain everything you need to know!
This is C-R-A-Z-Y!
Awesome!
Looks really nice. Is either examinable?
I would say no way. Looks very cool but I'm thinking surrounded would be tough.

Norm
It looks like a very cool prop, but is there more to this than a p***** m***?
So the effect which is shown at 1:16 can be done with what is delivered and won't require an additional purchase?

Expected To Be Released 12/10/2015

Is that October 12, or December 10?
[quote]On Oct 7, 2015, barts185 wrote:
So the effect which is shown at 1:16 can be done with what is delivered and won't require an additional purchase?

Is that October 12, or December 10? [/quote]

no. you will need two gimmicks for that.
hence why Mickael wrote: imagine your own routines.
There is no way this is examinable and not angle sensitive lol
Works out to $33.54 per the XE converter. Sounds really high for what I saw in the video.

Jim
[quote]On Oct 7, 2015, TheDirectionalist wrote:
There is no way this is examinable and not angle sensitive lol [/quote]

As long as you hold the pen close to your body.. I don't see how you can't get an 180 degree viewing angle for this effect. Seems that those angles are generous.

The release data is just a guess, Murphys list the item and should update their dealer centre with dates but they don't do it as quick as they should so I'm waiting for confirmation of the date.
This looks proper visual. Will wait for a couple of reviews before ordering me thinks. Mickael's releases are usually pretty solid though :-)
This does look good and, often carrying a pen and pencil with me, is something that could generate a lot of fun.
This does look good. I'm a big fan of Mickael's work. Any members of our mailing list check your inbox :-)

Peter
[quote]On Oct 7, 2015, Fatgumbo wrote:

hence why Mickael wrote: imagine your own routines. [/quote]

It also says, "Delivered complete and ready to go!", but if they don't include two gimmicks, you are not complete and ready to go and do what is shown in the trailer.
Lovely visuals on this.
Merchant of Magic have it on the site now as a special deal with free worldwide shipping : http://www.magicshop.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=146871

They will be posting a FAQ as questions come in.

I've not played with this in person yet. Not sure on the angles.. but Michaels work tends to be very well thought out.

MoM have also stated on the product page that 2 gimmicks are needed for the effect at 1:11 on the trailer, so customers can order as many sets as they need.

Hope this helps
Dominic

It also says, "Delivered complete and ready to go!", but if they don't include two gimmicks, you are not complete and ready to go and do what is shown in the trailer. [/quote]

It's fairly evident from the demo video what the gimmick is and what you are getting with this DVD.
It is also evident that the transposition effect shown needs two gimmicks.

That being said, that transposition is probably the weakest effect you could do with pen or pencil. The basic standard one gimmick routine is the strongest.

"delivered complete and ready to go" means that there is no construction required and that the gimmick is ready to go out of the box
Just confirmed Hocus Pocus will be shipping these on Friday, October 9th.
We are offering FREE WORLDWIDE SHIPPING as well on all Preorders.
http://www.hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/?p=31727
Our original estimate was correct so we expect these to be with us in the UK on Monday.
[quote]On Oct 7, 2015, Saturn UK wrote:
Our original estimate was correct so we expect these to be with us in the UK on Monday. [/quote]

Yep. Monday for MoM too.
It looks like you get 1 gimmick ready made and some stuff to make more if you wish which will require you to buy something else but they are very cheap and easy to find.

Check it out here http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/paul-harris-magic-tricks/pen-or-pencil-by-mickael-chatelain--trick.html
I let readers know where they can order new releases, and if there are ways to get special deals etc, but just like other magicians and dealers, I also answer a load of questions about the products, how useful they are, and my opinion on them. I notice you edited out all those parts in your quotes above.. :-)

If you look at the start of most threads in this section, often the people taking the time to answer questions and give information about the products in the early stages, are the dealers... Having dealers talking the time to answer questions seems to be well received in this section. Dealers are not Café staff, and not paid to help on here, so I think allowing them to post a product link within a longer post that gives information, opinion, or help to readers, is a fair exchange. Most of these threads tend to have several posts from readers asking when an item will ship, will it come with 'this or that', can it do... etc

Like most estabished shops, MoM runs paid adverts on the Café from time to time. It's spent thouands of dollars in Café banner advertising over the years, Dealers do contribute, both financially and, more importantly, with their attention and support to people that are asking questions.

Dealers answering those questions is a positive thing, and one of the main reasons this section is so alive.

Do people like being able to ask questions about new products in the lead up to release? Are many of the posts from dealers also useful for some people?

You decide...

It also says, "Delivered complete and ready to go!", but if they don't include two gimmicks, you are not complete and ready to go and do what is shown in the trailer. [/quote]
Good point. Slightly misleading advertising. We all know how this works, I'm surprised the dealers don't mention this.
So it's against the rules to point out when people break the rules?

My post pointing out the dealers are all blatantly spamming was deleted?

Can someone amend the rules sticky with something like:

"pointing out we let certain advertisers that give us $x a month to totally break the rules will result in your post being delted."

Thanks!
Okay Saturnmagic has stated that you get extras with the DVD to make up some of your own.. so you can make up the second gimmick for yourself and do that transposition. Mickael is a honorable creator and would never deliberately deceive his customers.
[quote]On Oct 9, 2015, Fatgumbo wrote:
Mickael is a honorable creator and would never deliberately deceive his customers. [/quote]

Really?!?! Obviously didn't follow the Hole 2.0 thread then with the 'deceiving' ad description of that effect
Hi café members,

I'll play the devil's advocate here: my gf enjoys magic but she doesn't know how things are done...
I showed her the trailer 1x and she exactly figured out how it was done. If an effect doesn't even pass the gf test it's not for me

I like many of Mickael's effects but this one... No

Cheers
Nikki
Hello Everybody !
Thanks to all for all your reviews ! It is my first magic trick without playing card ! and I choose this one because it is so visual !
Really easy to perform, the handling too !
You receive ALL PROPS to perform it (1 gimmick ready to go immediately, 3 others pens, "secret" gimmicks to make 3 new gimmicks yourself, really easy to do it, and explain how to do into the DVD, and a DVD french and english !)

Thanks to all magic shops all around the world to propose my Pen or Pencil !

If you have any questions, just ask me !

Mickael Chatelain
www.gimickmagic.com
[quote]On Oct 9, 2015, Nikki78 wrote:
Hi café members,

I'll play the devil's advocate here: my gf enjoys magic but she doesn't know how things are done...
I showed her the trailer 1x and she exactly figured out how it was done. If an effect doesn't even pass the gf test it's not for me

I like many of Mickael's effects but this one... No

Cheers
Nikki [/quote]
Thanks for the feedback Nikki, think I'll give this one a wide berth.
I think we all know how it is done,but performed the right way like any magic trick/illusion, then it can go down well,yes some girlfriends,wifes,lover's even our children at times catch us out,but hey ho.a lot do NOT,if of course you are good in what you do.
Wow, A p#####dle m###e , just like that half back/gold ring everyone hated a few months ago. SO angle sensitive.
[quote]On Oct 10, 2015, robfind wrote:
Wow, A p#####dle m###e , just like that half back/gold ring everyone hated a few months ago. SO angle sensitive. [/quote]

I don't see how you couldn't get 180 degrees with this trick. How are those angles poor? This is different to ash and ember.. The curvature of the ring makes the angles much more difficult to manage
You couldn't have anyone on the 180 degrees to your side or behind you. And you have to be very precise on the move or your edge will be seen. Anyone sitting down in front of you or taller can be a problem. Only 3 sides of the pen or pencil can be seen and you only have 6. Let the reviews come in. I won't be getting one.
Given that people still gasp at the "disappearing" printing on a single side printed pencil when I perform using a paddle move I don't think that the angles would be too hard to cover.
[quote]On Oct 11, 2015, professorwho wrote:
Given that people still gasp at the "disappearing" printing on a single side printed pencil when I perform using a paddle move I don't think that the angles would be too hard to cover. [/quote]
I am with you on this one,god the amount of times I pick up a pen at work and do the move to students,they are just baffled the writing has dissapeared,then when I bring it back I walk off watching them rub the pen,lol.
There is a big difference between making a little bit of printing disappear and making the whole pen or pencil disappear. I think angles are a big issue. I'm also waiting for the reviews on this by those who have it and have performed with it.
Message: Posted by: magicianhelpingmagicians (Oct 12, 2015 09:08AM)
[quote]On Oct 11, 2015, krowboom wrote:
There is a big difference between making a little bit of printing disappear and making the whole pen or pencil disappear. I think angles are a big issue. I'm also waiting for the reviews on this by those who have it and have performed with it. [/quote]

As we all know how this works, I don't think you need to wait for reviews.

If you perform for a camera, it is brilliant. If you perform for real people, not so much. Angles and having to switch out the gaff when all the heat is on it means it's not something I'll be buying.

Hope that is helpful.
Just received this and I like it.

Angles are actually nicely controlled so no issues there. Michael shows a clean up where you can hand out both pen & pencil but I'll stick with putting both back into my inside pocket from whence they came and then if anyone asks to see them it's a simple matter to execute the necessary switch.

Vanishink by Jay Sankey employed a similar idea and that always got a good reaction. I will use Pen or Pencil. Mild crowd and angle control is all you need and I do mean mild.
Mine has arrived.
Looking forward to having a look after work.
First off, I fully admit that I bought this more as a toy to have something to play around with and to become part of my collection of paddle tricks.
I too thought the angles would be pretty bad, but surprisingly they're not too bad. 180 degrees would be pushing it IMO but 120 or so would be no problem. I usually perform for no more than 3 people so it would work fine for me.
It's very well made and comes with one gimmicked pen/pencil all made up. Then you also get 2 regular pencils and a regular pen.
You also get extra material to make 3 more gimmicks. This is a very nice addition because you may want to make up a gimmick with a different pen. My gimmicked pen has black ink in it.

So I was pleasantly surprised with this prop and I consider it to be a very workable item as long as you understand it's limitations.
This would probably be great for any of those who work in an office or any environment where pens and pencils are common. It would seem very organic in those situations.

It's one of those items where you almost fool yourself in the mirror. I thought the effect would be on par with effects like color changing knife or Chad Long's Flash, but it is actually much more impactful than a mere color change because you are literally turning one object into a completely different object. I hadn't thought of it in that way until I actually got it in my hands and could see that it can look very startling in person.

While I doubt I would vote for it as trick of the year, it is one of those rare effects where I actually like it much more that I expected to.
I'm happy I bought it and it won't just be a collectors item for me.
[quote]On Oct 16, 2015, videoman wrote:
First off, I fully admit that I bought this more as a toy to have something to play around with and to become part of my collection of paddle tricks.
I too thought the angles would be pretty bad, but surprisingly they're not too bad. 180 degrees would be pushing it IMO but 120 or so would be no problem. I usually perform for no more than 3 people so it would work fine for me.
It's very well made and comes with one gimmicked pen/pencil all made up. Then you also get 2 regular pencils and a regular pen.
You also get extra material to make 3 more gimmicks. This is a very nice addition because you may want to make up a gimmick with a different pen. My gimmicked pen has black ink in it.

So I was pleasantly surprised with this prop and I consider it to be a very workable item as long as you understand it's limitations.
This would probably be great for any of those who work in an office or any environment where pens and pencils are common. It would seem very organic in those situations.

It's one of those items where you almost fool yourself in the mirror. I thought the effect would be on par with effects like color changing knife or Chad Long's Flash, but it is actually much more impactful than a mere color change because you are literally turning one object into a completely different object. I hadn't thought of it in that way until I actually got it in my hands and could see that it can look very startling in person.

While I doubt I would vote for it as trick of the year, it is one of those rare effects where I actually like it much more that I expected to.
I'm happy I bought it and it won't just be a collectors item for me. [/quote]

Thanks for your review and your unique perspective, Videoman. I now think I may give this a shot as well.
Ordered......I've seen this first hand. It's not a magician fooler but it amazes everyone else, we are always looking for the perfect "your a magician...show us a trick then" effect that you can carry everywhere.when done right this really does look like real magic. The clean up is easy so to a spectator this really does look like real magic. And you can't get anything more organic than a pen or pencil....Brilliant ✒️✏️
I used it last night as a quick observation type presentation. The double takes and verbal reactions had me laughing out loud. I like this very much.
I got ths today among a few other thing's at the dealer's day in London,my first thought was?,OH my the gimmick look's crap,is this it?,Wrong I can not put it down so simple and so VISUAL,very pleaesd in deed ,good teaching and you get spares's to make more,think they will last a good time,at the moment one of the best buy's so far today,i picked up AMAZE BOX,TROJON HORSE,SIMPLEX MONTY,BULL DOG CLIP and MIRRORS by Diamond Jim Tyler so I have a lot to watch over the weekend and I promise to give you the spin on what I think,for what it's worth.
We managed to get a few of the back in to stock yesterday and have just a few left.

They are sold out again with Murphys so it will be some time again before we can get more, but there a few left if you want one.

http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/new-magic/pen-or-pencil-by-mickael-chatelain--trick.html
[quote]On Oct 24, 2015, Saturn UK wrote:
We managed to get a few of the back in to stock yesterday and have just a few left.

They are sold out again with Murphys so it will be some time again before we can get more, but there a few left if you want one.

http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/new-magic/pen-or-pencil-by-mickael-chatelain--trick.html [/quote]

Mark these should sell like hot cakes,it's a nice little number, soooooooooooooooo visual,i done it on FB for friends and has gone down well.

http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/new-magic/pen-or-pencil-by-mickael-chatelain--trick.html [/quote]

Plus one as I'm sending mine back.
I know some have been disappointed with this and, to be honest, it is not the sort of effect I usually do. However, knowing quite a few writers, I have enjoyed taking this out from time to time and switching a pen to a pencil in front of their very eyes.

Everytime it has gone down exceptionally well.

From a spectators point of view, this is amazing, visual magic.

Neil
Pegasus, what don't you like about it?
[quote]On Oct 25, 2015, pegasus wrote:

Plus one as I'm sending mine back. [/quote]
What didn't you like about it?
I haven't seen one in the tricks for sale section. Perhaps, it's not that bad?
[quote]On Nov 6, 2015, Magic KL wrote:
I haven't seen one in the tricks for sale section. Perhaps, it's not that bad? [/quote]

It's great trick and very easy to do even my 8 year old daughter can do it!

It is a nice complete package of the gimmick ready made to go out of the packet, matching pencils, a matching pen and extras to make more gimmicks.

In all very good value and an eye popping effect for the spectator.

The handling is very well explained and you end clean at the end.

This will be a trick that we continue to keep in stock after the initial surge of sales slows down.

Stocks are very low now and the supplier has no more at present, check it out here http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/new-magic/pen-or-pencil-by-mickael-chatelain--trick.html
Most people seem to like this trick quite a lot, including myself.
A few may be disappointed because it uses a classic method and not some new-fangled, whiz bang gimmick.
But I think that's a good thing, tried and true methods are usually the best.
Sorry for those that asked. I kept it after all as it's not as bad as I first thought and I've had quite a good laugh at work with it. I recommend making a second gimmick and performing the 'in hands' change. Looks really cool. I remember there was a colour / color changing pencil routine out some time ago. Anyone remember who by and the name?
Looks very good. but seems less than ideal to clean up. reminds me of an old effect by jesse feinberg called magicap. http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S9003
It is a good little visual effect and I do the 2 changes after making another one up,it stops people in their tracks for sure.
Never take a boat out without a paddle.
[quote]On Nov 7, 2015, saysold1 wrote:
Never take a boat out without a paddle. [/quote]
Or be up the creek without a Paddle Brett,lol.
The ad copy states that Dynamo has performed this several times on Magician Impossible. Does anyone have an episode number in which this appears?
[quote]On Nov 7, 2015, JustJoshinMagic wrote:
The ad copy states that Dynamo has performed this several times on Magician Impossible. Does anyone have an episode number in which this appears? [/quote]
Yes I wondered what episode Dynamo did this on,i put a vid up on F/B of me doing it for a pro who sometimes comes on here,i won't mentioned his name,and he took it straight off and I will never deal with him again,anyway that's another story.This is so visual and what has been said before,simple but that sometimes is the best.
Hi,

this is a link for Dynamo and pen or pencil :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5HHWYEmJZk

Thanks
Mickael Chatelain
www.gimickmagic.com
I read that it comes with extras to make more gimmicks but just so I am 100% clear on this. Can the extra stuff be used/adapted to any brand pens? I'd like to do a this, then go straight into pointless and finish off with recapped. (a switch on the off-beat somewhere)
[quote]On Nov 10, 2015, jruiz0216 wrote:
I read that it comes with extras to make more gimmicks but just so I am 100% clear on this. Can the extra stuff be used/adapted to any brand pens? I'd like to do a this, then go straight into pointless and finish off with recapped. (a switch on the off-beat somewhere) [/quote]

You only get 3 extra gimmicks and not tried it on another pen in case it does not work and would be a waste of a gimmick,sorry not much help.The pencil look's a little different in what Dynamo used on the TV,but still very visual.
I've been doing this at work today - over and over - and it kills. Spectators love it. Easy to do and very visual.

Ed
Isn´t it VERY easy to flash the gimmick and very hard to hide the gimmick if the person that you are performing it for are either shorter or taller than you? To me, and this is just me speculating(not about the method as it is obvious what is going it), it seems like it would be very easy for someone to see the edges if someone looks at it just slightly off the optimal angle.

Yes, I know, work on your angles, perfect the trick etc, but in the real world it is hard to tell someone to STAY STILL AND DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT MOVE YOUR HEAD, NEITHER UP OR DOWN OR TO THE SIDES!
I have flashed the gimmick a couple of times but most time it is undetectable. There are two basic presentations and I have found one better than the other. First there is the "in your face" instant change and I have found this arouses some suspicions. The second is the one that I prefer and it involves the misdirection of pretending to disappear the pen cap in the other hand while the dirty work is done in the gimmick hand. This gets a great reaction of shock and surprise that the pen has disappeared and can be done very cleanly.

Ed
Check out the wizard product review of Pen or Pencil , they did it down and not up . I've adopted that way of handling and it has never failed me . For the pen's always below the waist . There is no angle issues to worry about .
Only just discovered this. Looks really cool.

All those concerned with angles or people figuring it out, I think your approach may be wrong. At least for this trick in particular.

While I'm sure a lot of you are pulling this off as a standalone piece, I see it more as a piece within another piece. It's something you do on the way to a different trick, and in this way you don't leave time for people to think that the method is obviously xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

It kinda makes me want to revisit Misled. Imagine pulling out a pen and saying you'd rather have a pencil. Put the pen away and grab your pencil. Then that pencil becomes a pen. What?!?!?! No, I needed a pencil. You put it away and grab the pencil. Now you've got your pencil for Misled, and on the way you blew people away with a visual miracle. This would also allow the perfect amount of time for people to say to themselves "that was incredible", and then move them on to the next thing before that "how?" pop into their heads.
I agree, I usually do it as a interlude in the middle of something else.
During a card or coin effect I say I'm also going to use this magic wand and pull out a pen..."to the untrained eye this may look like just a pen but it's really a magic pen" then it changes to a pencil and I have a little fun with it, then get back to whatever I was doing.

It not only creates a fun moment, but it's also useful as misdirection. For instance, taking out the pen allows me to ditch a palmed item. Or while doing the pen effect in my right hand I can easily ditch the top card of the deck into my back pocket with my left hand.
That's what I like about these types of effects. They are nice in their own right but also enable you to get away with other sneaky things.
Shameless plug but my little guy used this recently for a video he made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbj_S2C422A

Definitely a nice visual moment!
[quote]On Feb 1, 2016, PendletonThe3rd wrote:
Shameless plug but my little guy used this recently for a video he made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbj_S2C422A

Definitely a nice visual moment! [/quote]
Nice preasentation :-)
Nice Job !
Thanks Tophatter and Maxy! Not bad for an 8 year old!
"...a little snappy-snappy, a little rub-a-dub-dub, a little wavy gravy..."

LOL! Love it! Great smile at the end, too.
Two thumbs up!
Thanks Magic KL and Maxfields!

He is over the moon with all the great feedback. Made his week!
[quote]On Feb 2, 2016, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
"...a little snappy-snappy, a little rub-a-dub-dub, a little wavy gravy..."

LOL! Love it! Great smile at the end, too. [/quote]

Hah, yeah, that was great!!! So fun to watch, a little Gregory Wilson in the making!
My only advice from a video standpoint is perhaps turn off auto-exposure, it can get distracting.
You should be a proud papa!
This is great for social media. I can't think of a practical use in a strolling gig though. But in this social media age, I love how great this looks in a promote.
[quote]On Feb 3, 2016, videoman wrote:

LOL! Love it! Great smile at the end, too. [/quote]

Hah, yeah, that was great!!! So fun to watch, a little Gregory Wilson in the making!
My only advice from a video standpoint is perhaps turn off auto-exposure, it can get distracting.
You should be a proud papa! [/quote]

Thanks Videoman...thats very high praise! Definitely a proud papa and he is now more eager than ever to do more magic on his channel (along with some shenanigans).

He shot it on the laptop camera but agree that the quality was bad...lighting was distracting. Will try messing with the auto exposure for sure.

thanks again!
This young man will go far ,keep it up ,this is what magic needs's, new blood and born entertainer's.
[quote]On Feb 4, 2016, Fire Starter wrote:
This young man will go far ,keep it up ,this is what magic needs's, new blood and born entertainer's. [/quote]

Thank you for the very kind words! He is so over the moon knowing that "real magicians" like you guys are so encouraging (daddy's just a wannabe!)!

Can't thank you all enough!
I am just about to start looking for some pen / pencils tricks, please advise , what should I buy. Also to fool adults, magicwalsh@gmail.com thanks,
[quote]On Oct 6, 2015, TuneHV wrote:
It looks like a very cool prop, but is there more to this than a p***** m***? [/quote]

It looks like a pen and pencil glued together lengthwise.
Unfortunately you cannot perform the paddle move as you are using a standard bic biro. If this came with a gimmicked 'paddle shaped' biro then this would be awesome. As it is I think it's a complete waste of money.
[quote]On Oct 14, 2016, wally wrote:
I am just about to start looking for some pen / pencils tricks, please advise , what should I buy. Also to fool adults, magicwalsh@gmail.com thanks, [/quote]
Jesse Feinberg has some tricks using pens like Pen Thru Arm,MagiCap,Cigapen, Snap and others:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/magician/jesse-feinberg
Problem with Jesse's stuff is old so they are out of stock near everywhere and it is difficult to find a matching pen.
Pointless by Gregory Wilson also good.
Just got this . Its a great visual moment that fits in with some fun stuff I do with pens , so worth getting .
However , if you are expecting a well made gimmick for the price , you might be disappointed. It is nothing more than some stickers for a bic pen . That does allow you to have a few extras , of course. But how creators justify these prices for stuff worth a few pence is beyond me.
And don't tell me ,its the routine or the secret. Its not his secret and we all know exactly what the move is.
This is slightly more exposed than using say , a paddle as it is not flat , being a pen , so I will play with the angles . But it is a good visual change so you may consider it worth it.
I really love this idea , and its visual change , but somehow it's been sitting in my drawer for some time . Maybe I should find some time to try it out again ...
Love this thing and never had a problem doing a paddle move with a pen or pencil,pun intended lol.I sometimes just pick up a students pen and vanish and bring back what ever is written on it,they go nut's :)