(Close Window)
Topic: New John Carey Book. Minimalistica Coming Soon.
Hi Everyone

Delighted to inform you that I have a brand new collection of material being published soon. Minimalistica comprises over 60 items, 51 from me and a collection from some super talented friends. The book is packed full of powerful, practical and doable commercial close up card material with a wide array of plots and techniques discussed.

If you would like to register your interest in my new book Minimalistica and receive a link to download a 3 trick sample, simply click on the link and follow the simple registration instructions.
http://www.minimalistica.co.uk/

Three demonstration videos will be on the site tomorrow. Full length and no edits or music from raiders of the lost arc!!!

The pre order special of £30 plus shipping and two sets of my session convention and Dublin session lecture notes should be available on the site by Tuesday. Want to thank the incredibly talented Phill Smith for all his hard work on this project.

Thank you for attention and have a nice day.

John
[quote]On Nov 2, 2015, John Carey wrote:
Hi Everyone

Delighted to inform you that I have a brand new collection of material being published soon. Minimalistica comprises over 60 items, 51 from me and a collection from some super talented friends. The book is packed full of powerful, practical and doable commercial close up card material with a wide array of plots and techniques discussed.

If you would like to register your interest in my new book Minimalistica and receive a link to download a 3 trick sample, simply click on the link and follow the simple registration instructions.
http://www.minimalistica.co.uk

On the site you will see 3 uncut video demonstrations.

The pre order special of £30 plus shipping and two sets of my session convention and Dublin session lecture notes should be available on the site by Tuesday. Want to thank the incredibly talented Phill Smith for all his hard work on this project.

Thank you for attention and have a nice day.

John [/quote]
Looking forward to more great working routines from the master of Massive Impact & Minimalistic Work.

Mike Donoghue
Sorry for the repeat posting guys:-)
No problem John. We all do it.
No problem John. We all do it.
T.G. Jones wins the thread.

And John, of course! :)
Hi Guys

Delighted to say that you can now pre order Minimalistica on my site.
http://www.minimalistica.co.uk/

There are 3 full length video demonstrations you can view right now too.

Those pre ordering will get the book for the discounted price of £30 plus shipping.
You will also receive access to download free of charge my Session convention and Dublin city convention lecture notes.

The books should arrive from the printers in approximately 3 weeks. I will keep everyone up to speed on this.

Thank you for your attention and support.

John Carey
Just in case anyone had had a problem with the site I've now squashed a weird bug that was cropping up in the checkout.

Phill
That's my Christmas present sorted
John, Whispering Ambitions is fantastic. Love the sampler, thanks for the early Christmas gift!
[quote]On Nov 2, 2015, ianchandler wrote:
John, Whispering Ambitions is fantastic. Love the sampler, thanks for the early Christmas gift! [/quote]
My pleasure Ian! A very big thank you to everyone who has pre ordered today. Also a big thanks to everyone who has registered their interest. I hope you enjoy the material.

John
Hi Everyone,

I am truly humbled by the response so far to the pre publication special on my upcoming book Minimalistica. Thank you so much to everyone who has pre ordered or registered.

Those that pre order will receive a link to download in PDF format my Session convention and Dublin City lecture notes totally free of charge.

Everyone that registers can access a three effect sampler from the book with my compliments.

Three video demonstrations of effects from the book can be viewed on the Minimalistica website.

Have a nice day guys.

John
Hey Guys

Here is an uncut video performance of one of the effects in Minimalistica. The piece is called stranger in the crowd. Simple, practical and strong.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=tUeRRC2Sg2E

Have a great day

John
John Carey is the heir to Roy Walton.

In my opinion.

I see so many similarities in their work.

Modern day classics.

Good luck with the new book!

Joe Mckay
I cannot wait for this little ditty! Johns magic is always fantastically composed and contains every ingredient to make his effects not only practical in execution by combining simple methods to create maximum impact, but also makes sure the simplicity of the effect doesn't cancel out the fun factor. All of this means, I always enjoy performing his effects in my working repertoire and if his past is anything to go by, this project will be no different!

Jamie Daws
Preordered!

cant wait for it
Hi John,

I apologize but I'm not too familiar with your work other than the few videos I've seen of your effects. I've enjoyed what I've seen and is interested in your work. Can you tell me some of the differences between "Crafted with Carey" vs "Minimalistica"? Thanks.
Thank you for your kind words guys. The only difference between Crafted with Carey and Minimalistica is the content. All of the material is powerful, practical and doable. There are no angle ridden pipe dreams here. Also a wide variety of card plots are discussed and taught.,I've also included some novel and strong approaches to a few card forces.,I am also honored to a have a selection of friends material including a chapter devoted to the work of my dear friend, Shannon Clark from North Carolina..You are in for a treat with his wonderful contributions.

Have a great weekend everyone.

John
If you wrote a book about making popcorn I would buy it John.

Your material is a pleasure to watch and so workable.

Looking forward to getting this and working the gems inside.

A must have from a gentleman who happens to construct mracles.

Mike Donoghue
Preordered! I look forward to it!

Cheers,

Alex
Can't wait for this

Paul
Ooooh, I'm tempted to pre-order y'know... I can't remember the last card-magic book I bought...and I fancy a read of something decent...
Order away sir;-)
Was advised today that the books should be with me in two weeks. A big thank you to everyone who has pre ordered and registered on my site. If you register you get access to 3 of the effects from Minimalistica in PDF format.

Have a nice day

John
Hey Guys

Here's another piece from Minimalistica I think you may enjoy watching. It's a streamlined approach to the classic card stab.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=BC_PVicBKqY

Best Wishes

John
Message: Posted by: Johannes Lindrupsen (Nov 9, 2015 08:16AM)
A little problem with the shopping cart on the page. I was going to preorder, but had to do some other stuff and then I came back to it, clicked preorder again and I had two books in my cart. I tried to close the tab and open a new one, now I have three copies in my cart. I would really love to be able to order only one ;) How can I fix this? Thank you!
Just buy three books, it's worth it.

(srsly, sorting the bug now)

Phill
Yes - get them all!!! You won't regret it!!!!!!

Best regards,

Zedd
Sorry to anyone who has had a problem with the shopping cart. Phill Smith will get this sorted. I will be putting up a couple more demonstration videos this week. If I can help anyone in anyway please don't hesitate to message me.

Have a nice evening.

John
I wasn't really familiar with John Carey. For a while I kept getting him and John Carney mixed up when I saw the names in print. By the way, these are statements more about my knowledge than either John's reputation.

Well, unless it is an author I really love like Harry Lorayne or John Bannon I normally wait until reviews are out and I see a good deal on the book. But I watched John's first three performances he posted...and I really liked each one of them. So internally I thought "I'm going to have to pick this book up eventually". Then I saw his pre-order bonus. So I do what I normally do and search the Café to read reviews. A lot of positive things are being said about his [url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=539485&forum=218]Streamlined lecture notes[/url].

I give in and preorder. Not only am I getting a book with at least three tricks I will do but I'm also getting 2 sets of lecture notes. That's a really good deal. Yeah, I wish shipping here to the states was a little cheaper but that's not John's fault, and I figure it is nice to support the author directly. Thanks John, I'm looking forward to reading your book.
Have mine ordered - can't wait!
Never been disappointed with a John Carey product - like your style!
[quote]On Nov 9, 2015, Robert P. wrote:
I wasn't really familiar with John Carey. For a while I kept getting him and John Carney mixed up when I saw the names in print. By the way, these are statements more about my knowledge than either John's reputation.

Well, unless it is an author I really love like Harry Lorayne or John Bannon I normally wait until reviews are out and I see a good deal on the book. But I watched John's first three performances he posted...and I really liked each one of them. So internally I thought "I'm going to have to pick this book up eventually". Then I saw his pre-order bonus. So I do what I normally do and search the Café to read reviews. A lot of positive things are being said about his [url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=539485&forum=218]Streamlined lecture notes[/url].

I give in and preorder. Not only am I getting a book with at least three tricks I will do but I'm also getting 2 sets of lecture notes. That's a really good deal. Yeah, I wish shipping here to the states was a little cheaper but that's not John's fault, and I figure it is nice to support the author directly. Thanks John, I'm looking forward to reading your book. [/quote]
Thank you so much for your kind words sir and your support. It truly is appreciated.

John
[quote]On Nov 10, 2015, Burf wrote:
Have mine ordered - can't wait!
Never been disappointed with a John Carey product - like your style! [/quote]
Thank you my friend!

Jc
Made my order last week, cant wait for it to be shipped, another 2 weeks or there abouts grrrr. Johns last book was awesome so this new offering is a no brainer.

Greig Ewen :bikes: :cheers:
Hi Guys,

Here's another piece from Minimalistica for your enjoyment. A really practical and strong piece of card magic.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b1HYwSVLybs

I've been advised by my printers that the books will be shipped to me on 25th Nov. Then all the kind people who've pre ordered will have their books shipped out. The pre order special price of £30 plus shipping plus my session convention and Dublin lecture notes will be available until nov 25th. A free 3 trick sampler is available on the Minimalistica website for everyone who registers.

Take care everyone and have a nice weekend.

John
Ordered...thatll be my Christmas present to myself..
This is fantastic.

Best Christmas ever coming up with a fresh deck and big ass pot of coffee.

Thanks Johnny boy

AG
Hi Everyone,

Here's a demonstration of one of the pieces in my upcoming book, Minimalistica. This is my take on the classic last trick of Dr Daley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DptiPdZ3wf4

The pre publication special price of £30 plus shipping is open until my books arrive on the 25th Nov. Everyone pre ordering will also receive with my compliments my Session convention and Dublin lecture notes. These contain over 30 effects and utilities not in Minimalistica.

In Minimalistica are over 60 solid, practical and doable pieces of card work including some friends contributions that are in my honest opinion, superb. There is also a special chapter of 5 effects from my very dear friend, Shannon Clark. He is far too modest to say anything but I honestly rate this gentlemen as one of the finest sleight of hand workers in the world today.

I am truly humbled by the amazing response so far from around the world to this project.

Thank you for reading and have a nice day.

John
Hi all

Silly question perhaps, but how do I log in to the minimalistica web site? I have pre ordered and received a password etc... but I cant find anywhere to log in and get my bonus download/lecture notes.

Hoping you can help.

Regards

Matt
Just sent for this from Mr Carey.

Looking forward to it as if it's even half as good as his last book, it will be worth it.

Looking forward to the postman dropping it off.

Excited like a kid ha ha

Mike Donoghue
[quote]On Nov 23, 2015, magicmerlz wrote:
Hi all

Silly question perhaps, but how do I log in to the minimalistica web site? I have pre ordered and received a password etc... but I cant find anywhere to log in and get my bonus download/lecture notes.

Hoping you can help.

Regards

Hi Matt.

I've sent you a private message.

Best

John
Hi Guys,

Just a heads up that the Minimalistica books arrive tomorrow from my printers. All pre orders will then be shipped out. The pre publication special price of £30 plus shipping is open until tomorrow night. This includes a free link to download my session convention and Dublin lecture notes which contain over 30 card pieces and utilities not found in Minimalistica. From this Thursday the price of the book will be £35 plus shipping.

On the website is a free 3 effect sampler for anyone who registers an interest in my work.
Yours to enjoy with my compliments. Also on the site are 5 performance clips of material from the book. No edits or mind numbing music:-)

A heartfelt thank you for the the response to the pre publication special and to all the kind people who've pre ordered. I wish you many hours of enjoyment with the material.

John
Thanks for the update John. I'm excited to read your new book!

-Alex
A little heads up to people who pre ordered Minimalistica. The first large consignment of books were shipped today and the final batch will go off tomorrow. I wish you many hours of enjoyment with the material.

The book is available on general order now. Over 60 powerful, practical and doable pieces with truly something for everyone I believe. A wide range of plots are covered and there is a friends chapter containing some beautifully thought out card work.

On the website are 5 full demonstrations of some of the effects in the book.

Thanks for reading and Goodnight .

JC
I'm certainly enjoying reading my copy.

The routines are straightforward and direct. Some are Johns own work, some are twists on the classics. It's not a beginners book, not because the effects are difficult (they're not) but because not every sleight is explained. Many are, but not all. I would be surprised if that affected anyone on the Café though. Most of the routines are short and snappy, and in my opinion could be done walk around, table hopping or in more formal settings. The focus is on close up card magic. I will definitely be using some.

The routines are described with brevity and clarity; many of them take only 1 side, or perhaps 1 1/2 sides. A few lines about the effect then straight in. If you've read Johns previous work, including his lecture notes, you'll know what to expect. There are a few line drawings that help clarify where needed.

There are the usual geometric patterns that seem to adorn every new book nowadays. I personally don't like them, and I feel the page count would be reduced, and more accurate, without them. But overall it's a good sized hardback book and in a world of overpriced and overhyped limited editions, one wonders how John can release this at £35. If you like card magic (magic, mental magic/mentalism, you decide) I can't see how you would be disappointed. It works out at 50p an effect, which is not bad!

Nice one John, one of my better purchases this year.
[quote]On Dec 1, 2015, Rolyan wrote:
It's not a beginners book, not because the effects are difficult (they're not) but because not every sleight is explained. Many are, but not all. I would be surprised if that affected anyone on the Café though.[/quote]

JC was adamant that the book not be bogged down by explaining everything. I think he felt it would be better to just assume a certain amount of basic knowledge and only go into detail where something is ambiguous or new or needs extra focus. The sleights that are explained we ran through in a great session in a naff pub next to Leicester train station where I filmed John doing every sleight from every angle for reference.

John is a no-nonsense kind of guy and his explanations of effects are very concise. I'm prone to over-write material to seduce the reader to buy-in to the routines, but John is the polar opposite - how direct and clear can I make this explanation? The text isn't full of verbal flourishes, it's just intended to get the effects from John's brain to yours as quickly and effectively as possible.

[quote]On Dec 1, 2015, Rolyan wrote:
There are the usual geometric patterns that seem to adorn every new book nowadays. I personally don't like them, and I feel the page count would be reduced, and more accurate, without them.
[/quote]

This one was down to me and there is a slightly convoluted design rationale behind the graphics that I stand behind, although I'm not sure it's worth explaining here (it's to do with the concept for the book and how we broke up the layout). We were pretty keen not to get into that whole "270 pages!" advertising stuff though, because everyone knows it's spurious - none of our advertising used the page count as a selling point. "60 effects" is far more persuasive.

I'm proud of the product and I know JC is too.

Phill
If you removed the graphics it would still cost the same, page count-mongers infuriate me...just focus on the content, that's all that counts ultimately...saving my read through until I'm off in a short while...
Just for clarity, to avoid infuriating anyone, can I make it clear that I'm not a page counter. I haven't spent over 50 years buying magic books (including most major releases each year) to fall into that trap. However, I'm not a fan of the large number of empty pages followed by a geometric design that is so popular nowadays. In my opinion (which I think I'm entitled to hold and to express) it adds nothing to the book and actually detracts.

It's a shame that having given it a positive review, some choose to focus on the one small negative point I made, rather than all the positives.
Thank you gentlemen. Phill did an amazing job on the design and layout. Indeed I am proud of this collection and the value for money it offers. The response worldwide to the product has far exceeded any expectations I might have had. No pipe dreams, no filler either. Thank you once again to everyone who has purchased so far.

Have a great day.

John
Message: Posted by: Charlieherbertmagic (Dec 2, 2015 12:40PM)
Well, I was saving up for a new unicycle :giggles: but I think I'm gonna have to buy this first! :)
[quote]On Dec 2, 2015, Charlieherbertmagic wrote:
Well, I was saving up for a new unicycle :giggles: but I think I'm gonna have to buy this first! :) [/quote] Thank you!!!
My copy arrived in sunny New Zealand looking forward to reading it.
Thanks for signing John :-)
This is a brilliant books. I love the way John thinks about magic. Streamlined entertaining card magic. I always learn something new. Thanks.
It's obvious to anyone who reads what I put on here that I am a Carey fan( as are thousands of other people with good reason).

I ain't read even a quarter of the book as yet.

However, I am reading a few effects from the front of the book, a couple from guest contributers, & some from the back of Johns work.

Really love what I have looked at so far.

Especially like Johns ideas relating to dreams.

The technical requirements are not massive but the effect & scripting are fantastic.

Consise & drawing for the audience. You are ghosted into the story & then BAMM( ps. this is not Jay Sankey) the effect has taken place.

It creeps up on you & the work is done.

Loving the journey.

You have delivered again Mr Carey.

Thank you so much for this tome of wonderfull card experiences.

You will go down in magic ( I am sure as one of the greats.

Mike Donoghue
Received yesterday in Italy...I burned the first 56 pages and already I felt in love with several routines. John know what is EFFECT from the layman spectators point of view.
I'm sure I will pick several items to add to my working repertoire.
Well done John!
I got it today. I really like this book. The card to box effect on page 27 is so simple, but so fooling. I wish someone would have showed me this trick and fooled me badly.
Thank you very much Gentlemen.
Hi Guys

Since Minimalistica landed the reviews have been AMAZING: check some of them out here...

Don't miss Christmas shipping on Minimalistica!
The reviews have been overwhelming, don't miss out on the best Christmas present in card magic!

Here’s what REAL readers are saying about Minimalistica

An amazing book John Carey...... Very swift, very to the point and every page very achievable ..... Pure Magic ... Thank you :)-
Jason Cunningham

There's one thing that stands out in Minimalistica and that is how beautifully John has streamlined the handlings of the effect for maximum impact and minimum of work. Highly recommended!
Ben Ryan, NYC

I thought Crafted with Carey was a good book but Minimalistica is even better! Every item is just so practical and if you really study the book you will get an insight into Carey's devious thought process. Just get it!
Malcom Davies, Manchester

I think that the new book Minimalistica by John Carey is one of the most exciting and inspiring books on card magic of the last years...GET IT. Period.
Matteo Filippini, Italy

Thanks John, I received your book a few days ago and I've been working through the material. I just wanted you to know I think it's amazing (as I knew it would be) every item I've read so far is just brilliant. Fantastic job mate, a great investment for any magician.
Mark Daynes

Minimalistica is a hardback collection of 60 powerful and practical real-world card routines from John himself, and a collection of world-class guest creators. The book is shipping now and makes a great Christmas present, but hurry! The estimated last shipping date before Christmas is 21st December for the UK and 14th for Europe, USA and the rest of the world, so if you want to tear open a copy for Christmas, get your skates on!

Have a nice day

John Carey
I can give Minimalistica no greater praise than to say having read it, I immediately ordered Crafted with Carey.

9/10 and congratulations on publishing a hard backed book of this quality for only £35.
That's very kind of you sir. Thank you so much.

John
Is anyone in the US selling this yet?
thanks
Not yet here in California :pout:
Just got mine a couple days ago!

-Alex
My review of minimalistica by John Carey

Lets talk about the outer appearance of this book. I am really glad that John made the book as a hardcopy and not a soft copy because I enjoy collecting books that are made hardcopy. Not to mention John kindly signed my copy which I really appreciate.

The interior of the book is really appealing to the eye with a pattern of some sort dividing each trick that John teaches. The font size used is pleasing to the eye and it is not hard to read at all.

I have to be very honest. Some tricks suit my patter and some do not. However, I can testify that the tricks taught in the book are not hard to learn and follow along but they pack a punch. John takes wonderful tricks with complicated methods and compresses them in to tricks that are simple but produce a similar if not better effect. There are many different types of tricks ranging from packet card tricks to full deck card tricks to coin tricks. There’s just so much in this book.

John also takes the effort to explain each step with intricate detail and his way of writing is not difficult to follow at all.

Just like John’s other material such as Crafted with Carey, I highly recommend this book to anyone who’s just looking for inspiration or simple but impressive tricks that allows you to focus on your presentation. There’s a myriad of tricks in minimalistica and a whole lot of “why didn’t I think of that” moments included in this book.

Great work John! I am already looking for your next book.
Thank you so much, Markus. I'm delighted you are pleased with your purchase. FYI Guys, Minimalistica is only available directly from me via the site or at my lectures. Thank you for the wonderful response to the project and to all the kind people from around the world who have purchased the book. May I wish everyone a very happy new year.

John