(Close Window)
Topic: Review or opinion of the new Dynamo Magicians Kit?
Has anyone bought or seen the contents of the new Dynamo Magicians Kit yet? I recognise some of the effects from the pictures but would be interested to hear from someone who's actually got it.

http://www.magicshop.co.uk/DYNAMO_MAGIC_TRICKS/c99/p146973/Dynamo_Magicians_Kit/product_info.html
Looks nice. Does it come with a bunch of people to cut away to when you do the moves?
It's a great kit. Especially as a lead in item for parents looking to give their kids something to get them away from the Xbox..

Nice to see a magic set without the same old paddles, sponge balls, genii bottle etc etc.

It includes WoW, self tying shoelaces, and a zigzag box for your earphones too, so pretty modern.

As customers order it from Merchant of Magic they also get some follow up ebooks over time, helping the child build up their passion for magic, develop a habit of practice, and start to think about performing skills.

As a 'gateway' into a love of magic, it's very good. I think a good magic set should be carefully chosen, as it's something we all remember having, and part of our journey into a lifelong activity. The branding is perfectly on target, and the presentation and quality of the items, very high.

Hope this helps
Dominic
[quote]On Nov 12, 2015, Ross W wrote:
Looks nice. Does it come with a bunch of people to cut away to when you do the moves? [/quote]

This. I like it.
The WOW gimmick on its own is nearly the same price as the entire set. So that makes it a bargain. It is a genuine WOW gimmick and not a knock-off I assume? Dominic, please could you advise?
Very good question Jonesey. I was thinking the same thing.
The scratch cards also look very similar to Bill Abbott's 'Powerball 60' - is this the same effect and if so, it would be interesting to see if Bill was involved in its development?
[quote]On Nov 12, 2015, T.G. Jones wrote:
The WOW gimmick on its own is nearly the same price as the entire set. So that makes it a bargain. It is a genuine WOW gimmick and not a knock-off I assume? Dominic, please could you advise? [/quote]

This.

Also, is it original versions of the self tying shoelaces, and headphone thing? Are the creators even credited, let alone compensated?

I find it hard to believe any of the items are authorised or original for the price it is being sold at.
I know Change was slated for adult use but would fit perfectly in this collection IMO.
Its not an MoM production, but there are credits in the instruction book (rare for a magic set) Looks to me that they are specially commissioned versions, just for the kit.

The creators of the original effects and ideas are thanked for their support and help putting the kit together. Tim Trono over at Penguin worked on the development of the kit and is credited too.

Hope this helps
Dominic
I remember Tim Trono from the Café. I suppose if these packs are massed produced then they can afford to sell them at a discount. I'll be buying one for my daughter. Put one by for me please Dominic.
:wavey:
[quote]On Nov 12, 2015, pegasus wrote:
I remember Tim Trono from the Café. I suppose if these packs are massed produced then they can afford to sell them at a discount. I'll be buying one for my daughter. Put one by for me please Dominic.
:wavey: [/quote]
Oi come on you are buying it for yourself,lol.
[quote]On Nov 12, 2015, Dominic Reyes wrote:
Its not an MoM production, but there are credits in the instruction book (rare for a magic set) Looks to me that they are specially commissioned versions, just for the kit.

The creators of the original effects and ideas are thanked for their support and help putting the kit together. Tim Trono over at Penguin worked on the development of the kit and is credited too.

Hope this helps
Dominic [/quote]
Thanks Dominic, this makes me feel very happy. An updated children's magic set with full credit to creators, starting kids off on the right track. Tim Trono has produced an absolute diamond here. I will be buying sets for all four of my grandchildren. From MoM of course!
The market has needed something like this for a LONG time.
It's an amazing set. A magic set I can actually recommend to our customers. I opened a set up the other day and everything seemed to be of a superb quality. A very good selection. I have put a couple aside for family members

Regards

Peter
I wish something like this had existed when I used to deal magic. I saw far too many kids put off the art by those cheesy plastic toys that wouldn't fool a brainless worm.
I just can't believe the WOW gimmick is included in a magic set. I perform this in my professional close up set, so this as screwed me as I assume a lot of hobbyists will be getting this.
[quote]On Nov 13, 2015, twitter wrote:
I wish something like this had existed when I used to deal magic. [/quote]

Did you used to deal magic? [/quote]
Yes, I'm a UK expat and dealt mainly around continental Europe (before the Euro even existed). I had a small but loyal customer base who trusted me implicitly as I wouldn't sell them tat. I had and still have imho a good sense for knowing the good from the bad when I see it. This Dynamo gift set is almost definitely a good item.
[quote]On Nov 13, 2015, illusion123 wrote:
I just can't believe the WOW gimmick is included in a magic set. I perform this in my professional close up set, so this as screwed me as I assume a lot of hobbyists will be getting this. [/quote]
At least it didn't include an ID! It's my worst fear that someone like Marvin's Magic will put it on general release.
I thought the same about the Wow gimmick its a real shame this found its way in to a magic set, its also hard to believe they can or are selling this whole set for almost the price of Wow on its own.

As it is it looks a great value set with very strong and useable effects in it.
The TT has been included in thousands upon thousands of magic kits, and it's far from destroyed in professional use. I'd wager we'll all be just fine with our wow gimmicks for quite awhile....

Glad to hear the build quality on the kit is good, and that crediting is involved. A solid foundation is really important when getting started in magic, or any hobby. Too many kits are poorly made, which makes it difficult for a child to operate, and it can discourage them or put them off magic.
The Wow is little different though, in use it is shown whereas the thumb tip should never be seen openly.

Did you used to deal magic? [/quote]
You should have mentioned it. Lol
I still think magicians significantly over-worry about that sort of thing. Look at high-level performers who also release a lot of material. Josh Jay has many high-end clients, but has also directly published many of his working routines that he still uses, and has also published multiple books for the general public. I don't think that's had a negative impact on how much his audiences have been fooled or entertained by him.

A quick Google search can turn up anything for anyone. Most people don't care enough to look. As with ANY trick we perform, there's a small chance that someone in our audience is familiar with the method - whether it's a DL, an ID, IT, TT, or insert your favorite other acronym here. It doesn't stop people from getting MASSIVE reactions on shows like AGT and BGT with an ID, Extreme Burn, Cardtoon, and so forth.

So yes, the possibility exists that some eight year old may get this and mention something during someone's performance of it, but the odds are one in a million.

I worked at FAO Schwarz demoing magic for about a year and a half and sold a ton of coloring books, sponge balls, IDs, Ring on Shoelace, etc. I've used all of these effects in paid gigs and have never had anyone say, "Oh yeah, that's simple, I got that in a magic kit." The overlap is just not nearly as severe as we make it out to be, and magic secrets in general are not nearly as well protected as we like to think they are.

Anyway, back on topic, I'm glad that the kit wasn't just a quick way to make a buck where they slapped his face on a poorly-made kit. I think a great kit is a true way to create a magician, rather than someone who just happened to learn a few cheap tricks when they were a kid.
[quote]On Nov 13, 2015, cardbiker wrote:

Did you not sell or have the paul daniels magic set.

Graham
I just can't believe the WOW gimmick is included in a magic set. I perform this in my professional close up set, so this as screwed me as I assume a lot of hobbyists will be getting this. [/quote]

Couldn't agree more it's disgraceful dealers who care about magic are stocking it . The wow gimmick is fantastic and I use it all the time with amazing reactions really bad show giving away effects like this as a magic set stocking filler there are no morals in magic ! Yes don't like sets including TT, s either but when used properly they are never seen but the wow gimmick once they know they secret you are screwed before the effect begins . I will still use because the vast majority of specs still won't have seen and a decent hobbyist wont go opening their mouths and spoiling the effect for others .
[quote]On Nov 15, 2015, Tarik Flash wrote:

Couldn't agree more it's disgraceful dealers who care about magic are stocking it . The wow gimmick is fantastic and I use it all the time with amazing reactions really bad show giving away effects like this as a magic set stocking filler there are no morals in magic ! Yes don't like sets including TT, s either but when used properly they are never seen but the wow gimmick once they know they secret you are screwed before the effect begins . I will still use because the vast majority of specs still won't have seen and a decent hobbyist wont go opening their mouths and spoiling the effect for others . [/quote]

I don't think you need to worry Tarik. Magic kits have included sponge balls, the cups and balls, linking rings etc for years, but pro's still use them with great success.

You will be performing it to a much higher standard, with an entertaining and unique presentation. If a kid has that set, they will love seeing the magic prop used by a professional in a way they never thought possible...

It's a balancing act really... We all want to introduce and push forward the next wave of young magicians.. A strong kit of modern effects, gives benefits that far outweigh the costs long term. I doubt you will find you need to retire WOW, but if you DID there's so much more magic out there to keep your act up-to-date and evolving. The only thing that never changes, is the need for change.

Hope this helps
Dominic
Good post Dominic. No need to worry, with a good presentation the use of the prop will fly by even those who own it in a kit at home.
[quote]On Nov 15, 2015, T.G. Jones wrote:
Good post Dominic. No need to worry, with a good presentation the use of the prop will fly by even those who own it in a kit at home. [/quote]

I agree up to a point but I have found that wow is under used by pro performers and yet it is one of the best transposition gimmicks ever brought out in recent years . I want to keep it under used 😉 , but do agree it probably won't be used by kids in the way it should be . My routine with it is so different than the basic effect that on reflection I doubt it
It will be an issue .
Masuda's "Wow" has been so heavily pirated that it's available for $5 in most parts of the world. People have been selling it to the public for years on the Internet.

I wouldn't worry about it.
I found very sad that copyrighted material is sold in this type of products. Gave credits without any creative addition doesn't do any to the fact that you are basically stealing and getting money from an idea of other person.
[quote]On Nov 30, 2015, Amirá wrote:
I found very sad that copyrighted material is sold in this type of products. Gave credits without any creative addition doesn't do any to the fact that you are basically stealing and getting money from an idea of other person. [/quote]

That's all Dynamo does, isn't it?

AFAIK he doesn't invent anything, just has a lot of consultants who he pays money to invent things for him. As long as the originators of the effects in his box are getting paid and it's not just cheap knock offs like a chinese copy WOW, and everything is credited, then it's all good.

Just a shame the kit won't come with stooges or camera tricks. :D :D :D :D
To be fair to Dynamo.. Most magicians do that. Copperfield has consultants inventing too. We all buy and perform magic invented by other magicians. You don't have to be an inventor to be a performer.

This kit is going to introduce magic to a lot of the next generation of magicians.
I just can't work out how the people that invented the stuff he is selling can be getting fairly compensated looking at the price. Does anyone know for sure if it is a real Mesuda WOW gimmick for example, or just a cheap chinese copy?

If the originators are being paid properly, then great, but surely the set would have to be about 200 quid for that to work??
The effects shared are done so with permission from the creators. I really applaud Dynamo as this was important for him and quite possibly the first time someone didn't just rip every item. Obviously this makes the kit an incredible value as stated in this thread.

And the magic is just great. As an example, wait until you see the two routines using Wow. There is a great coin in bottle, a strong effect with headphones, Self Tying Shoelace, some great card magic (includes an amazing marked deck by Bill Kalush that I could easily see being the new standard).

Dynamo's goal was to provide great magic that will make people successful if they wish to learn magic. He specifically wanted to avoid much of the usual items in kits and only include things he'd carry and use. I spoke to him a couple of weeks ago and he stated he could go out and do a full evening of walk around magic using the magic included in the kit.

Hope that helps.

Tim Trono
So is it an original Mesuda WOW gimmick? I get that permission was sought, but is it a cheap copy or an original?

Thanks for the reply Tim, I just can't fathom that it can be sold at that price with an authentic WOW gimmick!
[quote]On Dec 1, 2015, Tim Trono wrote:
The effects shared are done so with permission from the creators. I really applaud Dynamo as this was important for him and quite possibly the first time someone didn't just rip every item. Obviously this makes the kit an incredible value as stated in this thread.

And the magic is just great. As an example, wait until you see the two routines using Wow. There is a great coin in bottle, a strong effect with headphones, Self Tying Shoelace, some great card magic (includes an amazing marked deck by Bill Kalush that I could easily see being the new standard).

Dynamo's goal was to provide great magic that will make people successful if they wish to learn magic. He specifically wanted to avoid much of the usual items in kits and only include things he'd carry and use. I spoke to him a couple of weeks ago and he stated he could go out and do a full evening of walk around magic using the magic included in the kit.

Hope that helps.

Tim Trono [/quote]

You've done a great job Tim. These are fantastic.
I'm still using the WOW Gimmick in my professional close up set because it's so good, and I am waiting for someone to say "I've got that". Including the WOW gimmick in Dynamo's magic kit as cheapened this fantastic effect for me, as it's become available to a lot more people. I think I'm going to get permission and bring out a magic set of someone else's ideas that professional magicians use to make a living, and make it available to Jo public (not really). Sorry just how I feel.
Got one today for my daughter. Top notch. Best magic kit I've ever seen bar none. So nice that someone finally put in the time, effort and thought to put together a first class magic kit instead of the dozens and dozens of cheap kits on the market that all include the same 20 tricks. It's no stretch to say that this is the first ever "professional" quality magic set.
Any place to get this in the US? Amazon don't have it.. Penguin don't have it..
My understanding is that they are assembled in the US but are not yet available here. Had to order from Alakazam which stinks because of the exchange rate and slow international shipping.
Thanks for the Info..
I had the pleasure of looking one of these kits over and I must say that it's great. Nothing in it feels like a cheap knockoff and from what it uncoils see every one was credits and all permissions got.

A bloody good kit for any one looking to get into magic.

And as for the " oh I can't use my wow now it's in this magic kit" go away! I do not buy it. I still use a thumb tip, cups and balls, and many things that can be found in many kits. I use them even after some one says " of have my kid got a fake thumb in a magic kit once" and I still fool them.

It's not what you use, it's how you use it.

Again this is a bloody good kit
Well said Alan. Could not have put it any better.

Cheers
Aljaž
2 times well said Alan.