(Close Window)
Topic: What are your favorite mentalism effect to perform table hopping?
Thought this might be a fun thread. Please share your top effects and a link to where to learn/buy them.

P.S. Mental Magic is also accepted.

Mine are in no particular order:

BIP Book Test - http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S5529 (when done with multiple spectators in rapid succession, this thing kills)
Blindsight - http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S8416 (you don't want 2.0 for table hopping, you want the original)
Free Will - http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/4207 (for the money, this is hard to beat)
Multi-Dimensional - (will skip the URL on this so as not to give too much away)
Psymbol Minded by Mark Strivings - No longer available but similar to Director's Cut ( http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S10729 )
Inv deck is a natural. I also have Kolossal Killer ready in one wallet. Another one that I really like is to borrow 3 different denomination of bills (when possible),
and use the Mullica section of my stealth assassin wallet to determine which bill is selected. Easy to do and many times I get some of the money as a tip.
The Becker coin purses are a great walk around set, the presentation using the "bill" on the DVD plays very well.
I don't do much mentalism walkaround, but the few effects I do do are:

-Ultimate Flashback (riffle book, spec remembers word, read mind)
-Peek Card Mind Read (riffle deck, spec remembers a card, hand them the deck, read their mind)
-Assertive Positive Negative (3 coin heads or tails prediction)
-iAdd a Number (add a number using someones iphone)
-Animental by Danny Archer
-21st Century Phantom

A great one is to force a card on a spectator and get another spectator to read their mind and tell them what card it is (tell the spec ahead of time what card to say), this is great especially if there are children there and you can have the son read his dads mind

I've recently bought Rock Paper Lies but haven't tried it at a gig yet
[quote]On Dec 5, 2015, Chamberlain wrote:
I don't do much mentalism walkaround, but the few effects I do do are:

-Ultimate Flashback (riffle book, spec remembers word, read mind)
-Peek Card Mind Read (riffle deck, spec remembers a card, hand them the deck, read their mind)
-Assertive Positive Negative (3 coin heads or tails prediction)
-iAdd a Number (add a number using someones iphone)
-Animental by Danny Archer
-21st Century Phantom

A great one is to force a card on a spectator and get another spectator to read their mind and tell them what card it is (tell the spec ahead of time what card to say), this is great especially if there are children there and you can have the son read his dads mind

I've recently bought Rock Paper Lies but haven't tried it at a gig yet [/quote]

I do animental quite a bit as well, but mostly for families. How do you do 21st Century Phantom without leaving a trail of pieces all over the floor behind you? Thanks.

-Paul
I use the following:
Fair Play
Powerball 60
100 Names
Psypher
Mental Epic with business cards
The Grail
Salt by Paul Carnazzo is fantastic! Mind reading with my homemade svenpads, very powerful! Sometimes use Docc Hilfords switchblade method for mind reading. Powerball 60 is also good. And lastly, Visionary By Steve is great! Actually Visionary 2.0 cards are great to! Matt Mello has some fantastic stuff- Imaginary Ball, Pulse Rate, and one other that which the name of the effect is slipping my mind, but the spectator "Hallucinates" and thinks he/she sees a drawing on a blank card, then you go on to reveal what the spectator thinks he/she saw!
I'm a big fan of 'Just Imagine' by Jay Sankey as its so easy and gets great reactions. Also doing an add a number prediction with a borrowed phone.
Palm reading ending with a revelation of a thought of name.
Power Ball 60 gets my vote.
I use apogee by Chris Taylor as a final closer, it just fries people and you leave them in total awe.
It is amazingly simple to use it works flawlessly. You can be completely hands off never touching any of the products. They can be handled freely as well.
I also do some sort of borrow 20 and most recently I've been using the Xpert. I usually work in AP quality with the name revelation. If you on the informant wallet by Bobby Motta, The way he reveals the thought of name is so clever and simple yet the reactions are enormous. As for the wallet itself I'm on the fence one part of it with the black Angelo's works amazing the other part is a little sensitive.

Dave
I just read my post above and realize that it makes little sense . I have to thank voice to text on my cell phone while driving for that.
You know, sometimes the classics are very powerful.
For an easy but great effect mental manipulation.
But when you have the time to gear up then knowing what someone has weather you're using a die or 5 colored chips is also great.
But a lot if the E tricks also eat up time.
What about book tests? I really enjoy the BIP 2.0. Anybody else have any book tests that are suitable for table hopping that they recommend?
I love Nick Einhorn's 'Thought Extractor'. You can borrow a book and also do a drawing duplication with it as well..
I see BIP 2.0 is pocket sized but how do you borrow a book Table Hopping?

-Mary Mowder
Kindle?
Who would trust a kindle book used in a Magic trick?

-Mary (if I can't smell the book, it ain't a book) Mowder
"Whispering Die" Richard Osterlind
Not a Kindle book. The Kindle app san access many books of your choice.
Personally, I'm a huge fan of the Center Tear. I also like a quick version of Card Calling. I'd be curious to hear if anyone does PK touches for table hopping.
I usually have them do a drawing on a business card then do a peak and then "read their mind"
Powerball 60 again. Its a great little effect, packs small and I rsrely leave the house with out it.
Center tears all the way!
50 posts now he can get into the restricted sections and we will never see him again.
I use Scott Guinn's "Positive Increases". It's an improvement on his "Assertive Positive Negative". Uses nothing but a business card and a pen.
Wasn't sure the improvement would be worth the $10, but it is well worth it. It makes more sense.
http://www.lybrary.com/scott-f-guinn-m-235.html
I do a bit that Max Maven does. Easy enough to follow. Perfect for walk around.

http://youtu.be/gakiYCfylr0
I like king's prediction in an envelope w/ rubber bands.(So you don't have to reseal). You can play it as a spectator reading your mind about which king you reversed in the packet. Get's the ladies in the group smiling :)
Anybody use Tequila Hustler for walk around? I have yet to use it during a gig.
B-wave works well also.
Tequila Hustler is great for strolling as a first phase for a longer routine.
B-Wave
Heirloom
Powerball 60
Pareto force with objects on table or persons
MD
B wave
Sponge balle
Loops
Mind Buster by Labco and Inside Out by Promystic, using the color cube and/or Die. Also, the SUC wallet. After all the years and all the wallets, this still remains as my go to. One great fact of the SUC, you do not need to go back to the wallet to get your info, this was always a drawback for me. Just put it away and you got your info. Nothing is more simple than the SUC.

Dave
Hey Paul Rathbun,

Per your posting that started this whole topic (which is a topic near and dear to my heart), SYMBOL MINDED absolutely IS still available directly from me. As strolling effects go this is very hard to beat. For those who aren't familiar, it's a close up design duplication. Instant reset, no memory, different outcome every time (which is important when performing strolling), instantly (and endlessly) repeatable, packs very small, gives you the ultimate reason to leave a business card with your spectator, can play one-on-one or for a group, the list goes on and on. If ever there was a worker, SYMBOL MINDED is it. If you're interested in more info drop me a note. Thanks!

Mark Strivings
Invisible deck
And
Powerball 60
Agree with all the above. If you're working the wait area, plant Tru Test magazines for the patrons to read. Then you can do what really seems impromptu, and fry them bad. I do a lot of restaurants, and this is one of my favorite mental routines. Of course it only works in the waiting area.

Dennis
Brain Wave Deck.
A Peek Wallet.
Thought Transmitter.
Message: Posted by: Matty Freakin Whipple (Apr 7, 2016 01:13PM)
To-Do Voodoo
Tequila Hustler
Exact Change
The Phil Deck

That's OK with kids.....but why don't you try

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008JQL5H4/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?ie=UTF8&btkr=1
Best four bucks you'll spend this week. If you don't own a Kendle gadget you should get the free app for a computer from Amazon.
I think Priceless will be one of my new favorites once it arrives.
Invisible deck and my magic square routine using a Svengali notepad
[quote]On May 1, 2016, sophiamartin wrote:
Invisible deck and my magic square routine using a Svengali notepad [/quote]

Can you describe your magic square routine using a Svengali notepad?
Sure, I show a small notepad with numbers 1-50, and ask spectator to say stop while I riffle down, forcing the number 46. Then I unfold a piece of paper stuck to the back of the notebook with 16 numbers written in a 4x4 grid, none of them are correct, but all rows columns, corners and 2x2 square add up to their number 46
[quote]On May 2, 2016, sophiamartin wrote:
Sure, I show a small notepad with numbers 1-50, and ask spectator to say stop while I riffle down, forcing the number 46. Then I unfold a piece of paper stuck to the back of the notebook with 16 numbers written in a 4x4 grid, none of them are correct, but all rows columns, corners and 2x2 square add up to their number 46 [/quote]

Looks good, do you have a video of it?
[quote]On May 2, 2016, sophiamartin wrote:
Sure, I show a small notepad with numbers 1-50, and ask spectator to say stop while I riffle down, forcing the number 46. Then I unfold a piece of paper stuck to the back of the notebook with 16 numbers written in a 4x4 grid, none of them are correct, but all rows columns, corners and 2x2 square add up to their number 46 [/quote]

I like it. Thanks for sharing.
Helder, no not yet, will post a video when I get round to filming.

John, no problem, I'm glad you like it!
These are my favourites but note as a magician rather than a mentalist I usually put just ONE of these in my set now & again mixed in with my magic. Hope these ideas help anyway and they are ALL suitable for table hopping.

> Spoon bending
> TNT by Wayne Dobson released by Wayne Fox & sold by other dealers too I think. (It's a 'free will' type effect on nice laminated/thick plastic card, not playing card stock, so a nice change of prop objects as well as a strong routine in itself)
> Divided attention by Jay Sankey (on one of his dvds).. a list of items is shown & selected & is the one predicted by you.
> B'wave

Couple of additional comments below about Powerball 60, Magic Squares, & Priceless if I may that others mention here (they are perfectly good recommendations!)

With MAGIC SQUARES I have sometimes done the following though this is normally a bit cumbersome for table magic but will work on a 'slow' night when you are not rushing (I know that this is rare with restaurant magic!) I did it only last week but in a PARLOUR magic setting to a private dinner party but just a few people: What I do is I have a few 'empty' magic squares pre-drawn on the back of my business cards to hand out one between two (I give everyone else a business card when I leave the table from my double sided stock of business cards or a blank one if they prefer it). This is so that there are less people who need to hear you clearly & makes the experience/routine a bit more communal & shared. Therefore I proceed with the routine with calling out the numbers & showing/pointing to my cards for them to copy down. It also means you need carry less pens/biros with you. I typically do this to tables of just 4-8 people. You are of course giving your business card away with this approach & it makes it a shared/interactive experience as stated, but only useful in quiet restaurants or on quiet nights.
If anyone's interested to know, I do the magic square where they nominate a number between 30-60. I have my square pre-filled, except for the missing 3 numbers, but have it on top so that I casually show an empty square with a DL initially.
Btw, Sophia, many compliments on your approach - I like how you do it very much.

With POWERBALL 60 I have used it semi-comedicaly; the way I have done this is on those occasions when a spectator has said "tell us the winning lottery numbers!" or "I wouldn't gamble/play cards with you!". I often capitalise on this to drop my usual set & go into the following: When they say those things I respond with precautionary words & warnings about gambling (in a light-hearted & comedic manner of course) & say that even I can't win at it let alone the general public. So I then go into Powerball 60 & 3 card monte (aka colour monte but with 'two' jokers an ace of diamonds as the winner card & the ace of spades or clubs as the kicker ending)

I note paul's comment about 'Priceless'. I too like the look of this very much and although the kicker ending is inherently mentalist, I rather think it's real value is purely comedic as a quick throwaway item at any point in your set or as an opener. My feeling is that I wouldn't play it as serious mentalism. That's just my thoughts/preference because I am pretty sure I will obtain it for my next parlour or stand up show.

I think I'll look up Mark Striving's Symbol Minded. I just took a look at Penguin's trailer for his lecture & I like the look of his style & approach. Mark, if you're reading this, is SM on the lecture?

Regards,
Another vote for Powerball 60
I have also used David Acer's Nomen Omen for years! It is a great mentalism routine and it leaves the spectators holding my business cards with the prediction on the back.
Message: Posted by: Christopher Taylor (May 22, 2016 07:22PM)
I have been performing every Saturday, that I am not traveling, at a restaurant for the past 5 years. I find it a fantastic proving ground for my new material and products (such as Apogee, mentioned by The Baldini, above). Still, I do have a few favourite effects that I regularly perform. They include my Cardless Cartomancy (with a pocket index); Hero, with the Pocket Printing Press; Free Will with Eclipse; Half-Track (card effect); and key ad coin bending.

Christopher
I have a little trick called Psychic Color Sticks. It was only $15 and is worth its weight in gold. It even fooled my wife, which makes it bona-fide. It's totally examinable, and so simple to do. If you've never heard of it, look it up.

Jim
Mrsmiles,

Symbol Minded is not on the Penguin lecture purely because it is a marketed item and not something that you can make yourself. It IS a fabulous strolling mentalism piece that I use all the time and sell out virtually every time I demo it at a lecture or convention. It simply doesn't get any easier, resets instantly and is endlessly repeatable. It's a worker in every sense of the word. If you'd like more info send me an email. My addy is at the bottom of this window. Thanks!

Mark
Osterlind's Whispering Die, occasionally used in conjunction with a Becker Coin Purse, left in full view, for the predicted revelation.

Paul Mc.
Entourage. Quick, direct,and for me, way better response than B'wave.

Gary
MD MINI and Symbol
I found a very simple effect by George Schindler that I absolutely love doing. It is the easiest and most straight forward mental effect but it plays so well. I tear off the covers of two match books and hand one to a spectator with the instructions to draw a large Tic Tac Toe board on it. I take the pencil and do the same but I also write a prediction on mine as well. I ask the spectator to select either circle or cross and to draw it into two joining spots leaving the third in a row empty.
When the two are compared I have predicted the opposite symbol as well as the spot that blocks them from winning.
As simple as the effect it is people love it.
Sophiamartin.
I too would love to see more of your effect with numbers and magic square. It sounds great.
In bars, I've recently been using Tony Chris' "The Chosen"... similar to an ID effect, but for me it plays stronger and is a bit more of a "routine"...
Alarmed by Noel Qualter & Ade Gower - An incredible prediction effect that ends with your spectator receiving an impossible souvenir. :-)
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to add something to it since I don't think anyone mentioned this.

I've had great success in walk-around with Paul Rhomany's "Dream Prediction Elite"--the pocket version of his former stage effect "Dream Prediction." Of course it has it's angles, but I've not had any real problem with that to speak of. I simply make up a bunch of folded slips in advance, keep them in a small bulldog clip, shove them in a pocket and it resets in seconds. Plus I like the fact that I can customize it for events--I've done it strolling at expos, golf tournaments, private parties, fundraisers, car shows, etc. For golf tournaments I had people name things like their handicap and a funny caddy's name, for car shows year, make, and model of their favorite cars, etc.

I'm also a fan of peek wallets, pocket wr****g, etc. Especially Mark Striving's SUC. Direct and quick effects that kill. I also do a lot of CT's, and am a fan of Richard Busch's CT where you draw the person's face on a card and the word is placed on their "forehead." It makes for entertaining by-play and kills as usual and all I need are a stack of index cards and a pen.
While it's understandable how people stay away from electronics, Promystic products has been a god sent for strolling set.

Mini. MD can be amazing with a believable presentation, and six sense works pretty well too.

The most impromptu one got to be Free Will. <3
Will to read for Steve Dela and Alakazam magic.
Number prediction with Super Sharpie and What's in the name by Oz Pearlman
Are there any Super Sharpie units available anymore??
[quote]On Oct 27, 2019, marcomotroni wrote:
Are there any Super Sharpie units available anymore?? [/quote]

https://www.magicsmith.com/super-sharpie.html
Thanks to whoever revived this thread! Some great answers! Don't know what it's called, or who shared it... but my favorite mentalism "Strolling" piece is a Crown Royal bag with 7 Black Stones, and 1 Clear Stone. It's the "Diamond". Everyone at the table gets to participate, and pick a stone. I determine who got the Diamond. (Holdout) I can do almost a whole set around it. And it kills every time. Anybody know what it's called? Any history on the effect?
One of my favorites is the marked deck trick from Opening Minds. I can't remember what Colin Mcleod calls the effect, but I call it double mind reading.
Anyone care to update this thread WITH the links asked for in the original post?
I once did an entire ballroom with a Promystic die in a leather shaker cup and the paperback MOABT

I'd have each spec roll the die and give them a numerological reading based on the number they roll - come to think of it, this part could likely work without any magic (i.e., openly roll a die THEN give a reading)

For bigger tables, I'd finish with both phases of the pocket MOABT

talk about packing light! I didn't even need pockets!
Richard Osterlind's "Radar deck" is one of my favorites.
I'll add crazy cube.
It's cheap. It comes in some magic sets now unfortunately.
Most people have never seen it.
It plays HUGE if you can act. This little trick gets genuine startled gasps from people.
YMMV
I have been using Entourage for years as an introduction trick (Let's see if we're in sync). Quick and instantly reset.
Which Hand.
Inject - so many uses
Directors Cut
CelebriDate
Any peek device - my preferred is Vision or Stealth Assassin Wallet
One of my favorite is from a set of Al Schindler's lecture notes that I have used for so many years it is simple but it never fails. You draw a tic-tac-toe board on the back of two of your business cards. You make a quick mark then ask them to mark two spots in a row. Not only do you predict the box to stop them from winning you predict the opposite mark they chose. If they use X's you draw an O or vise versa.
Some Ideas

- Gregory Wilson's Exact Change is a fantastic opener, especially if you keep the coins on the table while you're performing since you have the option to do some quick vanishes and reappearances during dead space.
- I saw Powerball 60 come up recently. That trick is fantastic, and made better with the correct justification and presentation. Use the tickets to divine the number, get them out of the way, and make them subconsciously selectively delete the part with the tickets. It will help make the divination process all the more impossible. With all of these effects really, it is very important to find a character, and think how you want that character to be viewed as a mentalist. Are you reading tells? Are you simply a psychic? Present your mentalism in a way that leaves the only possible explanation in the realm of your character's abilities. I degress. On we go.
- Spidey's Sneak Peek (a version of Acidus Novus) of a number or name is also great to do with a blank business card. If you want a peek in which you tear the card, consider Spidey's Shredder or even Hands Down by the Other Brothers for a more complete routine.
- A simple peek wallet can work miracles as well.
-If you have Peter Nardi's Infinity Wallet, feel free to use this idea that I sort of came up with, but let's be real, I'm sure thousands of people have thought of it. I saw Steven Himmel use a part of this idea in A Forced THought, but this uses an ordinary deck. Have your index system set up to reveal Ace through 8 of Hearts. In your actual deck, take those cards out, give them a mix. Put indifferent cards every other card, and put this on top of the deck. From here, deal down, and wherever they call stop, take one of the 8 force cards and set it aside. Then, simply go into the wallet and produce the correct card! This is a killer card opener or even standalone piece. Impossible to lay people and magicians alike, especially when you reveal all the cards to be different and ungimmicked.
This is a fun question. In addition to some routines that I created for my own use, I here are some I really like:

Alias Wallet Colin McCleod A peek wallet to do drawing duplications.
Pivotal Peek Schlutz A way to peek a card
Just Imagine Jay Sankey A fun color and shape prediction
Alarmed Noel Qualtar An amazing clock prediction with a souvenir
Will To Read Steve Dela Predict the actions with three objects
BIP Book Scott Creasy Read minds using the "British Institute of Parapsychology" book
Predict Tac Toe Richard Osterlind Write the prediction on a bill in wallet.
Decisions Mozique You predict a yes or no answer before they ask.

KJ
This thread is just about mentalism. Personally, I combine mentalism and magic, so I didn't include items that I would perform that are not mentalism.
My favorite segway , a direct steal from The Mentalist, is after doing a strong opener is to say "magic is for kids, would you rather I read your mind ?"
Simple peek, billet or card, then reading the spectator finding cues etc