(Close Window)
Topic: Nailed It! by Scott Alexander
Has anyone seen / read anything about "Nailed It!" yet? It's due to come out in a few days (I think), and claims to be an 100% safe Russian roulette with a spike type effect - basically the same as Alexander's [i]Shattered[/i] effect but with a spike rather than a broken bottle.

Shattered always appealed to me, but the non-examinability at the end of the routine always put me off somewhat. If you can hammer the nail into a block of wood and give it away to your spectator as a souvenir as claimed in the ad copy - that would make this pretty much perfect for my taste. Especially if it is 100% safe as claimed - I heard that a (very experienced) magician managed to stick a genuine nail through his hand at the Magic Castle a few weeks ago, when performing a different version of the effect... That's always put me off other types of the Smash and Stab routines. It doesn't matter how experienced you are, it only takes a momentary lapse in concentration and you're putting yourself at risk. If this effect is as clever as Shattered, then you'll never actually be at risk at any point.

If I'm not mistaken, I also think a certain high-profile UK mentalist has been performing this version of the effect recently (I've yet to see a video of Scott's routine, but the props look the same as I saw on stage in London recently). If that was indeed Alexander's routine, then it's very deceptive indeed.

Cheers,
RD
[quote]On Jan 2, 2016, randomdan wrote:
Has anyone seen / read anything about "Nailed It!" yet? It's due to come out in a few days (I think), and claims to be an 100% safe Russian roulette with a spike type effect - basically the same as Alexander's [i]Shattered[/i] effect but with a spike rather than a broken bottle.

Shattered always appealed to me, but the non-examinability at the end of the routine always put me off somewhat. If you can hammer the nail into a block of wood and give it away to your spectator as a souvenir as claimed in the ad copy - that would make this pretty much perfect for my taste. Especially if it is 100% safe as claimed - I heard that a (very experienced) magician managed to stick a genuine nail through his hand at the Magic Castle a few weeks ago, when performing a different version of the effect... That's always put me off other types of the Smash and Stab routines. It doesn't matter how experienced you are, it only takes a momentary lapse in concentration and you're putting yourself at risk. If this effect is as clever as Shattered, then you'll never actually be at risk at any point.

If I'm not mistaken, I also think a certain high-profile UK mentalist has been performing this version of the effect recently (I've yet to see a video of Scott's routine, but the props look the same as I saw on stage in London recently). If that was indeed Alexander's routine, then it's very deceptive indeed.

Cheers,
RD [/quote]

I saw the same show as you and I don't think he used Scott's method. However, there is a full performance on Scott's Penguin Live n 3 and prepare to be fooled! I bought it instantly after seeing that :)

Cheers,
RD [/quote]

You are mistaken as it was not this version.

I'm very proud of the version he is using.....

:)
[quote]On Jan 2, 2016, Jon Allen wrote:

Cheers,
RD [/quote]

You are mistaken as it was not this version.

I'm very proud of the version he is using.....

:) [/quote]

I thought that was the case :)
I wait to see more reviews or to see this trick live before buying it.... too expensive to go blind on this one.
Isn't there an already "100% safe" roulette out there with a spike by Randi Rain? I wonder how these differ?
Seen the explanation. Super super safe, no worries of stabbing yourself whatsoever whatsoever. Resets in 2 minutes (unless you prepared the trick before, then it should only take 25 seconds). Very deceptive, cheap refills (and you will need quite a few refills though).

It's brilliant, best method I've seen.
We just added a live performance video of Scott performing Nailed It to the Hocus Pocus Website. Preorder your Nailed It here for Free Worldwide Shipping.

http://hocus-pocus.com/prod/32450/Nailed-It-by-Scott-Alexander

[youtube]AJ0aVJfjcbY[/youtube]
I'm balancing between Scott's routine and Jon Allen's "Pain game".
How on earth can I make a choice without in depth information?
I wonder...
What the heck? this seems the best version I've ever seen... looks so direct and clean!!!

Congratulations Scott Alexander :thumbsup:

Is this on his recent Penguin Live Lecture so we can check before spending the total?
Let me echo a sentiment from Penn Jillette. If you are doing a danger routine and you are in real danger, you are an idiot. Not sure of the exact phrasing but that's the gist.

Regardless of the method... if there is a real sharp thingy in your bags or cups or whatever...there is a chance....albiet a slim one...but a chance nonetheless....that you will eventually....some day...some how....stab your hand. We have seen this over and over again.

This version satisfies that criteria for me, and I hope others will like it too.

Be safe everyone!

-Scott
[quote]On Jan 7, 2016, Scott Alexander wrote:
Let me echo a sentiment from Penn Jillette. If you are doing a danger routine and you are in real danger, you are an idiot. Not sure of the exact phrasing but that's the gist.

Regardless of the method... if there is a real sharp thingy in your bags or cups or whatever...there is a chance....albiet a slim one...but a chance nonetheless....that you will eventually....some day...some how....stab your hand. We have seen this over and over again.

This version satisfies that criteria for me, and I hope others will like it too.

Be safe everyone!
-Scott [/quote]

I could not agree more, I am tried of my magician and mentalist friends accidentally stabbing their hand and getting hurt.

-Alex
I do Spike the Sharpie Edition, and I know a lot of people don't consider it 100% safe, but I have never stabbed myself. I have also built in a safety in case it were to ever happen. I use 5 foam cups with a piece of aluminum stuck to the inside bottom of each cup. I spray painted them white, and I have never had anyone be able to tell that they are there. After smashing the cups, I simply remove the smashed cup with my "shield" immediately in a smash and scoop motion. Aluminum is light and does not affect the ability to perform the effect, the aluminum is reusable. and cheap. The only thing I caution you about the aluminum, is make sure it is thick enough for the speed you bring your hand down at through experiment (so don't use an aluminum can cut out...). If you go to a metal shop, they can measure your cup and get you several exact laser cut pieces fairly cheap.

Hope this helps! Alex tell your friends to try this out, magic should give the appearance of danger, but we should never actually be in harms way!

-David Fox
I just love that routine, I'm getting one of these for myself, the rabbit idea is great.

We also have it listed here http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/saturn-magic-shop/nailed-it-by-scott-alexander--trick.html
[quote]On Jan 8, 2016, Themagicfox wrote:
I do Spike the Sharpie Edition, and I know a lot of people don't consider it 100% safe, but I have never stabbed myself. I have also built in a safety in case it were to ever happen. I use 5 foam cups with a piece of aluminum stuck to the inside bottom of each cup. I spray painted them white, and I have never had anyone be able to tell that they are there. After smashing the cups, I simply remove the smashed cup with my "shield" immediately in a smash and scoop motion. Aluminum is light and does not affect the ability to perform the effect, the aluminum is reusable. and cheap. The only thing I caution you about the aluminum, is make sure it is thick enough for the speed you bring your hand down at through experiment (so don't use an aluminum can cut out...). If you go to a metal shop, they can measure your cup and get you several exact laser cut pieces fairly cheap.

Hope this helps! Alex tell your friends to try this out, magic should give the appearance of danger, but we should never actually be in harms way!

-David Fox [/quote]

I still think you risk hurting yourself here. A small round disk being slammed down onto a sharp point could easily cause the disk to slide down on either side and stabbing you. I hope you do not find out the hard way. I still can not understand why anyone would take this kind of chance. There are versions of this that are completely safe with no risk to you and that still play exactly the same as far as the audience is concerned.

But hey ... your hand.
Does this come with everything needed to perform it? Any refills needed? Can paper bags be easily found in UK or are these sold as refills too?
Can you show all the bags empty to begin with and then place the block with the nail in one of them??
[quote]On Jan 8, 2016, Daren wrote:
Can you show all the bags empty to begin with and then place the block with the nail in one of them?? [/quote]

Don't think so :(
You can put all the blocks in the bags if you like. I just show one because I think doing all five is tedious.

Refills cost just over a buck a show between bags and the "secret sauce." Small price to pay for safety.
I sell them on my site but, the training DVD tells you where to get them online yourself.
I know it's 100% safe , but what is the difference between this one and the "pain game" by Jon Allen. Both look alike a lot and with the same statement for safety. I m struggling for getting which one.
I asked exactly the same question a couple of days ago but get no answer so far...
Pain Game is terrific. Great thinking behind it.
Although this is not really the proper place to do method analysis, I'll simply refer you to the thoughts I posted from Penn above. If you can read between the lines you'll see why I prefer my method.

If you really want to work on this plot I suggest buying and reading everything you can get your hands on about it. ( pun intended ) Then you work through them all, evaluate their pluses and minuses and go with the one that you like.
The Pain Game comes with 4 blocks (though I believe you can buy extras from Jon Allen). Scott it looks like yours comes with 5 blocks. Is that correct?
Yes five blocks Ben.
I don't have this,or pain game,and I'm sure both have their Pro's and cons,but going just by the performances of both,Nailed It! looks smoother,in how the nail is placed in and removed from the bag.More to consider than just that obervation,but it is of substantial importance in my opinion.
I have used The Pain Game for years. I love it. But this has all the makings to take over as the safest and best roulette trick out. Will be watching this thread closely
No mention in the add copy on angles,or possible clothing requirements ,so could someone please answer these two questions?
Seriously considering getting this,but need answers to these questions.
I too am extremely tempted to get this, but fearful there might be something in the method that would prevent me from using it with ease.
The sooner I find out for certain I can use it in all my shows without concern, the sooner I can give Scott my money :)
I absolutely second Cardlover about the manipulation of the bloc with the nail , incredibly clean as the hand barely enters the bag; but I'm a bit reluctant about the iron rod cut at an angle, rather than looking like a real nail...
Angles aren't an issue, and you can do it naked if you like. ( which might make it more entertaining )
Here's a nice review.

https://vimeo.com/151253822
Those last two posts have very nearly convinced me.

I still have one question: are there any moves that need a lot of practice, or could potentially go wrong during performance?
I assume the answer is no, but would feel better with confirmation.
You are correct in assuming no… This is simple and easy to do.
There's no room for being real fancy with a trick like this.
I'm convinced now :)
The main thing I needed was a comparison to T2 Sterile, but the Jonathan Royle video already covered that.
Jonathan went above and beyond in evaluating them all.
We are pleased to be stocking this in the UK.

Scott has really come up with something special here, this really is 100% safe, the worst that could happen is you hurt your hand banging it on the table or the block of wood too hard!!!

The handling is simplicity itself and routine just great, this is without a doubt the version I will be using in my shows, well done Scott.

We won't be stocking refills, but we will put up a bonus page so those buying from us can find what they need in the UK.

UK customers can find it here, we are expecting stock to arrive next week.

http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/saturn-magic-shop/nailed-it-by-scott-alexander--trick.html
I bought this from Saturn Magic tonight, but I hopefully canceled my order a few minutes ago, only because of the exchange rate. I can get this from a magic shop here in the US cheaper.

This is right up my alley so to speak. Tricks like this are perfect for the teen aged audience. They love my dangerous shows. I do quite a few (possibly) dangerous illusions. I have been doing Smash and Stab since it first came out. I even made a fake hand glove so that when I smash the cup, it looks like I stabbed my hand. Anyway, for the life of me I can not imagine how someone could be so stupid as to actually stab themselves, especially someone who was invited to perform at the Magic Castle.

Whenever I do one of my dangerous shows, I check and double check, and triple check everything.

Once I'm sure Saturn canceled my order, I will buy this from Scott, along with the expandable kit. I have an idea on how I want to present this.
I have used Scott's SHATTERED for years even though there were things about it that bothered me. First, you could never really prove the bottle was "real" at the beginning or at the end. Spectator couldn't touch it. Second, even though it was always ok, I didn't like placing the bag on the bottle & block rather than placing them into the bag. It made letting the spectator pick up the bag/block/bottle a bit un-nerving. Also, the bag could get knocked off of one of the blocks quite easily thereby ruining the illusion. Thirdly, I was once told that a bottle, hit with a hammer, wouldn't really break like that but that it was a good trick anyway...hmmm. Bringing me to NAILED IT. I liked the video performance and JR 's review. It answered many questions. And Scott's been good answering questions on here. This fits my character just like SHATTERED did. I'll be ordering shortly.

MB
Everyone is talking about this being 100% safe cos there is no solid objects that are in the bag. At the start the spike is shown to be solid. What if you forget to make it safe before you put it in the bag? If that happens you now have some thing in the bag that will injure you.

Also I have bought The pain game ages ago and with that the nail it is locked into place in the block but with this the spike is just placed onto a block. Some people might just assume it can come off the way it went on or that you might have other spikes in the bag you can somehow just put onto the block. Not a convincer for me!

Sorry but I’ll be sticking with Pain Game
[quote]On Jan 13, 2016, simon hughes wrote:
Everyone is talking about this being 100% safe cos there is no solid objects that are in the bag. At the start the spike is shown to be solid. What if you forget to make it safe before you put it in the bag? If that happens you now have some thing in the bag that will injure you.

Also I have bought The pain game ages ago and with that the nail it is locked into place in the block but with this the spike is just placed onto a block. Some people might just assume it can come off the way it went on or that you might have other spikes in the bag you can somehow just put onto the block. Not a convincer for me!

Sorry but I’ll be sticking with Pain Game [/quote]

The routine is 100% safe, your assumptions above are incorrect.

I can't expand on how or why for obvious reason but this is 100% no risk of stabbing yourself.
Well I ordered mine ten minutes ago, and I also bought, from Scott, his expandable kit for Nailed It.

My crazy brain is already going bonkers thinking how I'm going to make Nailed it my routine. Pretty much along the same lines as I made Smash and Stab shockingly mine.
Do I need to purchase the Expendables Kit as well in order to perform it?
[quote]On Jan 13, 2016, yin_howe wrote:
Do I need to purchase the Expendables Kit as well in order to perform it? [/quote]

No, this is just a refill package, you can buy them online yourself or from Scott if you don't want to hunt for them.

For those buying from us in the UK we will provide the links to UK sources for the refills.

I cannot wait to get this. It fools me big time while watching Scott's penguin lecture. It's by far the cleanest Roulette routine I've ever seen.
Hey guys,

Alex here.

I don't normally like Spike style routines, but Scott nailed me with this, after watching his Penguin Live Xmas Extravanganza where he demoed it, and I was completely fooled and baffled.

I ordered this from Murphys, and they will be receiving this sometime next week.

This is how a Spike routine should look.

Once I have received it, and everything, I will post a detailed review on here.

Literally, cannot wait.

Thanks

Alex Alejandro
Was massively interested in this until Jonathon Royal reviewed it.
I have not seen this review, but I have 100% confidence that this will be a real winner in the way I will present this in my show.
What's the delay at penguin magic, it was pushed another week. Thanks for the help Chris.
[quote]On Jan 15, 2016, Emilio5639 wrote:
What's the delay at penguin magic, it was pushed another week. Thanks for the help Chris. [/quote]

The delay is slightly annoying. I purposefully haven't preordered simply because I feared there would be further delays since each one is hand made by Scott.

Hopefully it will be in stock soon so I can order it!
Can anyone say whether this is suitable for close-up? Thanks.
[quote]On Jan 18, 2016, AlexanderG wrote:
Can anyone say whether this is suitable for close-up? Thanks. [/quote]

Not made for that... I'd say they'd have to be at least 4 meters away. This isn't one of those versions where the spectator is onstage with you throughout, but if you have some stones (given, not much) then they could smash their hand down instead of you; but not recommended.
4 meters? Hmmm. So do you feel then that this wouldn't be suitable for daytime busking, unless perhaps you have established a large circle at that distance? This looked quite convincing during the Penguin lecture, and I don't recall the camera being that far away. Then again, sometimes things don't look quite the same on camera.
A normal distance that anyone would be sat watching your show at as shown in the demo would be just fine.
I ordered the bottle version via one of my favourite magicshops and I hope it will arrive soon. I wanted to order it directly from Mr. Alexander's shop but unfortunately I haven't received any feedback (I wrote a mail via the contact page - shame on you Mr. Alexander ;) I guess you were too busy with your new release)

Personally I prefer the look of the bottle version but this nail version looks very good, too!

Cheers
Nikki
Nikki78 I don't think I got your message. Hmmmm. Glad it is on the way.
So......OFFICIALLY the dealers will be getting this on the 27th FO SHIZZLE. I had a gig that the presses had to stop for, but all the units have been sent to the dealers TODAY.

I have a few left ready for immediate shipping here.
http://scottalexander.bigcartel.com/product/nailed-it

As far as proximity....
I did this in the Close Up room at the Castle with people sitting two feet away, and at the Penguin lecture they were maybe three feet away. You can do this anywhere. It is like a thumb tip. You feel guilty because you know it is there, but the audience has no idea what they are looking at.

As far as stabbing yourself....
You CAN NOT stab yourself because even if you do for some weird unforseen reason, forget to take the doo-dad, from the hoo-hah, the brass rankofate, is not sharp. But that is not likely because you visually confirm the doo-dad is removed before proceeding to step two. Those who have this will know what I am talking about.

Really glad so many people like this. I have sent out quite a few from my sight to users, both well known and unknown who are simply thrilled with it. But even better is that no body is gonna end up with a spike thru their hand. That makes me very satisfied.

Scott
Sorry...my website had it listed as out of stock. I have a few available now.

Thanks,

Scott
Ugh..wish I would have ordered directly from Scott. The wait on this from Penguin is killing me. Can't wait to put it into the show. Going to switch it out with Shattered occasionally for some variety.
Penguin will have them in 4 days, but yeah I usually am ready to go before stuff gets to the dealers. Next time!

I do Shattered with Puck in our two man show and Nailed It in my solo show.
Here is the double Shattered for your viewing pleasure.

[youtube]FRAhSCQCTPQ[/youtube]
Just a few more days till the dealers are shipping. They have already reordered so they must me out of the first batch....Yay!
[quote]On Jan 24, 2016, Scott Alexander wrote:
Just a few more days till the dealers are shipping. They have already reordered so they must me out of the first batch....Yay! [/quote]

Oh no... I hope that doesn't mean I'm going to be waiting ANOTHER month! 😌
I hear dealer orders are going out b4 weeks end.
I've just had word that ours are shipping to us today and should be with us in the UK on Friday :)

Here is the link in case you have been wait for this news to order http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/saturn-magic-shop/nailed-it-by-scott-alexander--trick.html
I definitely ordered long ago. Penguin has pushed back the ship date yet again, still accepting pre orders.
Since today, Penguin and Vanishing are listing Nailed It as In Stock
This was a tall order to get everything out and I appreciate everybody's patience and support.

It is my sincere hope that we can now eliminate any more Facebook posts about people getting a spike through their hand!

-Scott
Well I have heard back from several top guys and here is what has come in so far.

"You are the man. This is like so bold! It's genius. I'm my opinion, it's the only way to do this routine." - Top Pro who wishes to be unnamed

F@#king Genius!!! - Top Pro who wishes to be unnamed

"You ***...why didn't I think of this!" - Top Pro who wished to remain unnamed

"Again this is great, I can't love this enough.! -Yet another Top Pro who wishes to be unnamed

"Dude this is so diabolical!" - Yes another blah blah.....

When they give you quotes like this and want it to remain secret that they are doing it...you know you've hit the nail on the head, so to speak.

Thanks Mystery Men!
I can't wait!

-Ve
Hate to be the one who brings this up especially since I love pretty much everything Scott has but out but no where in this threat I don't see Dee Christophers name mentioned... He has pretty much same thing in his penguin lecture without the apple finish.

Juha-Matti
Hocus Pocus received Nailed It this morning and shipped out all of our pre-orders today!

We have a few left here in stock so if you havent had a chance to order yours yet, be sure to order here for immediate shipping!

http://hocus-pocus.com/prod/32450/Nailed-It-by-Scott-Alexander

We are still offering FREE WORLDWIDE SHIPPING!

Cole
Just got my shipping confirmation from penguin! Looking forward to receiving his killer routine. I will post my thoughts once it comes in the mail.
[quote]On Jan 28, 2016, korttihai_82 wrote:
Hate to be the one who brings this up especially since I love pretty much everything Scott has but out but no where in this threat I don't see Dee Christophers name mentioned... He has pretty much same thing in his penguin lecture without the apple finish.

Juha-Matti [/quote]

You mean "rush", the Russion Roulette with lighters? Hardly similar if that's the effect you're referring to.
@Juha-Matti

i didn't see anything like "Nailed It" in Dee P lecture... r you sure?
[quote]On Jan 29, 2016, Lseeyou wrote:
@Juha-Matti

i didn't see anything like "Nailed It" in Dee P lecture... r you sure? [/quote]

Not totally sure, but it was in within month before Scott Alexander lecture in Penguin live lecture. A guy was talking about the safety of russian roulette with spikes and he was talking about people doing it by adding "that something" to the bottom of the cups so they woudnt hurt themselves if they made a mistake.

But then he showed his own take on it where he used exactly the same gaff that Scott is using. Cant go into any details in public forum without revealing Scott's method. But the gaff was exactly the same. Not like close but exactly the same thing... Sadly it was the only interesting thing on the whole lecture so don't remember who it exactly was. But January 2nd my friend has asked me in Facebook if I know anything about Nailed by Scott Alexander and I have answered to him that I believe he is using what Dee Christopher showed in his penguin lecture. There wasnt full routine on the lecture if I remember right, just the gaff that makes the whole thing 100% safe. Could have been some other penguin lecture or perhaps one of the at the table lecture in december but still I think it was Dee Christopher's. But its +4hours that I don't want to waste again...

Other option would be Anton James At The Table lecture

Juha-Matti
Hi Guys,

I have been contacted by a number of magicians asking me about Scott's effect and my own Russian Roulette routine, The Pain Game.

Firstly, Scott hasn't stolen anything from me. When I saw 'Shattered' I actually applauded the screen at his brilliant method. Now he has come up with this version of 'Magician has to avoid the spiky thing'.

While it uses rectangular blocks and bags, it might look the same to an audience (we'd have to toss a coin if booked for the same show) it is completely different in method.

He is also to applauded for producing another version where, like The Pain Game, someone else other than the magician makes all the choices. For me, this is a huge advantage over versions where the magician decides which covered object he is going to smash his hand on.

This version, and mine, both start with a solid object. In both, you have to do something (different in each version) to make it safe and once you do that you are 100% safe for the rest of the routine.

However, in the extraordinarily unlikely circumstance you forget and/or don't make the visible check, you *will* injure yourself when you slam your hand down.

This is *completely* different to knowing where the spiky thing is and relying on your brain not getting its wires momentarily crossed and slamming your hand down on the spiky thing. I spoke to one person recently who said he knew exactly where the knife was because he could see it... and he still slammed his hand down on it!

Any method that takes the worry out of injuring yourself with this effect can only be a good thing and Scott is to be commended on his approach.

There are other differences between his and mine but this is not the place for me to voice my, what would be seen as biased, opinions :)
Well said Jon
In this version you can just bend the end or put some tape on the item Jon is referring to, even in a complete brain fail moment you can not get hurt because it would be impossible to continue in the routine with it.

This does therefore make this version 100% failsafe.

I know this sounds a bit criptic but those that get this will know what I mean, this version is truly safe.

Our stock was due to arrive today but there has been a flight delay so the delivery will now be Monday.

On a major purchase like this give me a call if interested, the item is listed here http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/saturn-magic-shop/nailed-it-by-scott-alexander--trick.html
Jon you're a true gentleman!

Jon's approach is great and so is mine.
My approach to this is the same as I took with Shattered in that I didn't want a sharp spikey thing in play at all.
Wow....

Just got this in and watched the DVD. This is easily the best purchase I've made in a very long time. Everything is well thought. I cannot wait to perform this!

Scott, you are a GENIUS.

And might I say: I love that the kit provides you with absolutely everything you need besides scissors. That's awesome!
I am wondering how many performances are included in the original kit, w/o having acquired the Expansion Kit.
[quote]On Jan 30, 2016, Great Domino wrote:
I am wondering how many performances are included in the original kit, w/o having acquired the Expansion Kit. [/quote]

5 performances are included.

I've already ordered a refill from the direct source.
Thanks Madison! Am expecting mine by Tuesday the latest. Very excited!
[quote]On Jan 30, 2016, Great Domino wrote:
Thanks Madison! Am expecting mine by Tuesday the latest. Very excited! [/quote]

It's GREAT. I don't see how anyone could be disappointed by this. All of the convinces throughout the routine are awesome.

Also, the idea for hammering the spike into a board is so good. I don't know if I'll be using it because I think the apple is strong enough, but for performances that want to put it over the top and leave no doubt, hammering it into a board is great. And they get to keep the board with the metal spike hammered in.
Just gave this the girlfriend test. It passed with flying colors.

She was terrified throughout and her jaw dropped to the floor when the apple got thrown onto the spike at the end. This is great.
Just got mine today. Another home run from Scott, just incredible. In my opinion, this is the best thing he's put out, which is pretty incredible considering his body of work!
[quote]On Jan 30, 2016, Allen Michael wrote:
Just got mine today. Another home run from Scott, just incredible. In my opinion, this is the best thing he's put out, which is pretty incredible considering his body of work! [/quote]

I agree. His stuff is great, but I believe this is head and shoulders above his other effects.
Got this the other day...i love it......so much detail to the effect. so great.
Blake
This truly is one of those gems that comes along in once and a while, I'm really pleased to hear so many liking it as well.

We only have a couple left now on our delivery that is due tomorrow and no more are available with the distributor at present.

You can pick one up here while stock lasts! http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/saturn-magic-shop/nailed-it-by-scott-alexander--trick.html
Wow....thanks so much everybody. You forget when you have been doing something for a while the joy and excitement of discovering it for the first time....thanks for reminding me!
Got mine Saturday from Penguin. This is so clever and something you will do, so it is worth the price. The DVD shows a "solid prover" which does not come with the package, unless it was just mine where it was missing.
[quote]On Feb 1, 2016, RC4MAG wrote:
Got mine Saturday from Penguin. This is so clever and something you will do, so it is worth the price. The DVD shows a "solid prover" which does not come with the package, unless it was just mine where it was missing. [/quote]

Hmmm... It you're referring to what I believe you are, it should have been included.
Yes one needs to be careful. I almost through a special something away because it fell out of the packaging. So when you get this mailed to you. Please look in the box it was mailed in to make sure the special something didn't fall out of the nailed it package. I hope that made sense
[quote]On Feb 1, 2016, BlakeAdams wrote:
Yes one needs to be careful. I almost through a special something away because it fell out of the packaging. So when you get this mailed to you. Please look in the box it was mailed in to make sure the special something didn't fall out of the nailed it package. I hope that made sense [/quote]
I did look back at the box and packing paper to make sure. I thought that might have happened. It might have fell out prior to shipping.
Just got mine. At the office. Like a kid in a candy store. Today can't go by quick enough! Cheers everyone!
Now these have all shipped to our customers I have uploaded a Bonus Page with links to UK suppliers for refills and some bonus tips I came up with.

If you have bought from us the password is the part number on your invoice or confirmation email.

The link the page is here http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/saturn-magic-shop/nailed-it-by-scott-alexander--trick.html
RC4MAG
Sorry to hear that buddy. Im sure whoever you purchased the trick from will ship out that component. that's crucial to the routine
Sent you a PM....I will get the missing piece out to you asap once I get your address.

Sorry about that!
-S
I've got a dozen different versions of the nail under cup/in bag. But this one is definitily, whithout a doubt the best version! Now I can finally do this trick 100% safe. Thanks Scott for releasing this one!
We just had news that our next batch of Nailed It will be with us on Friday :)
Now this has been sent out, does anyone own this and the pain game to compare pro's and con's. Are there any advantages, or which do you prefer to perform. Obviously can't disclose method, but would like to hear preference. Thanks
Thanks Magic_Niels!
[quote]On Feb 1, 2016, Great Domino wrote:
Just got mine. At the office. Like a kid in a candy store. Today can't go by quick enough! [/quote]

The old "Have-It-Delivered-to-the-Office-So-the-Wife-Doesn't-Ask-How-Much-It-Cost" maneuver? Wise. Now when you show her the routine, you can tell her it's something you learned in a book and made up yourself.
Just watched Dan White perform this on The Tonight Show,with Jimmy Fallon.
Perfect illusion. Straight forward with no fumbling around.
Dan Nailed It!
[quote]On Feb 9, 2016, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
[quote]On Feb 1, 2016, Great Domino wrote:
Just got mine. At the office. Like a kid in a candy store. Today can't go by quick enough! [/quote]

The old "Have-It-Delivered-to-the-Office-So-the-Wife-Doesn't-Ask-How-Much-It-Cost" maneuver? Wise. Now when you show her the routine, you can tell her it's something you learned in a book and made up yourself. [/quote]
Lol! I'm not the only one then ;)
I have not posted on the magic café for some time but felt compelled to do so with this item. I'm a full time entertainer and even though I specialise in the children's entertainment side of things I have performed "spike sharpie edition" several times in adult shows. I have to say I have always found it quite nerve racking even after purchasing special inserts for the cups to make it safer.

When I opened the box I have to say it was a little surprised as to what I got. I even checked my bill to remind myself how much I paid for it. I watched the DVD - performance and explanation. My opinion is this is a great version and one that I would definitely use over "spike". I cannot comment on other methods as I don't have them. I think it is very convincing for stage/parlour. However this could never be performed close up which I believe someone was asking about.

I have to be honest - in my opinion this is a little over priced for what you get. I am aware you are paying for the idea and Scott states the same in the DVD. This is definitely something for the professional performer. There is little of interest here for the amateur, in my opinion.

Also my only other concern would be the availability of the items that have to be replenished. I think this is the kind of thing that is available now - but in 2 years (or whatever) who knows.

Mark
[quote]On Jan 29, 2016, korttihai_82 wrote:
@Juha-Matti

Not totally sure, but it was in within month before Scott Alexander lecture in Penguin live lecture. A guy was talking about the safety of russian roulette with spikes and he was talking about people doing it by adding "that something" to the bottom of the cups so they woudnt hurt themselves if they made a mistake.

But then he showed his own take on it where he used exactly the same gaff that Scott is using. Cant go into any details in public forum without revealing Scott's method. But the gaff was exactly the same. Not like close but exactly the same thing... Sadly it was the only interesting thing on the whole lecture so don't remember who it exactly was. But January 2nd my friend has asked me in Facebook if I know anything about Nailed by Scott Alexander and I have answered to him that I believe he is using what Dee Christopher showed in his penguin lecture. There wasnt full routine on the lecture if I remember right, just the gaff that makes the whole thing 100% safe. Could have been some other penguin lecture or perhaps one of the at the table lecture in december but still I think it was Dee Christopher's. But its +4hours that I don't want to waste again...

Juha-Matti [/quote]

Now you are not sure, well in December Scott Alexander did the yearly free Penguin Live Holiday show. On it Scott Alexander talked about his new product, showed how safe it would be. So I guess what you remember or don't, is that it was Scott Alexander that you were watching. That is what happens when you watch to many lecture videos, you should take notes or go back and find the reference before you post. Scott also talked about his bottle version, then segued into his new product.
Just in case anyone missed it...

http://on.aol.com/video/magician-dan-white-s-hidden-spike-trick-519483544

Jimmy Fallon's reaction speaks for itself. So glad I picked this up when I did.

Scott, please do us all a favor and stop production on this killer piece! :)
[quote]On Feb 9, 2016, MadisonH wrote:

Scott, please do us all a favor and stop production on this killer piece! :) [/quote]

This should have been twice the price at least!

I don't have words to describe how good it is.
I think it is fair to say that if Dan White did it in front of the unblinking eyes of HD professional quality broadcast level cameras, you would have no issues doing it close up.
What's the Expansion Pack for? Someone mentioned Nail It only allows for up to five performances? So in addition to the main product, in order to perform this more than five times, we will need to constantly buy refills?
[quote]On Feb 9, 2016, itsmagic wrote:
What's the Expansion Pack for? Someone mentioned Nail It only allows for up to five performances? So in addition to the main product, in order to perform this more than five times, we will need to constantly buy refills? [/quote]

Yes. The refills give you 25 performances.
I can't compare this to other methods, as I don't know of any other. I will say this though....

This is so "go for the jugular", hard-hitting and SAFE that I don't care to think of other means to accomplish this. Having performed it in a parlor setting as well as FaceTime format(Ma and Pa as I thought she'd NEVER be able to deal with this in person) THIS EFFECT KILLS!!

Scott, thank you for sharing such a great method with the Brotherhood. This is worth every penny.

As for the refills, I ordered replacements directly from the supplier provided in the dvd (enough for 50 performances) and it def does NOT break the bank. Can't put a price on piece of mind.
$20 was all it cost. +shipping from US. Prob free for my friends South of the border. In which case you would get enough (with what I spent) for 100 performances
Just received this and it's a great concept. I personally wouldn't be doing this closeup, but definitely for parlour and stage.

Refills are accessible and cheap.

Recommended.

Elliot
$50.00 shipping and handling inside of the U.S. if you order directly from Scott's site. This was shown as I was checking out. I quickly cancelled and ordered from Hocus Pocus which provided free shipping. Could this be correct on Scott's site?
5 Performances? Im lost, there goes my first set on practice? Not for Close up? So a living room environment wouldnt work? Ive wanted this or shattered for a while but need to know the facts first.
[quote]On Feb 12, 2016, paisa23 wrote:
5 Performances? Im lost, there goes my first set on practice? Not for Close up? So a living room environment wouldnt work? Ive wanted this or shattered for a while but need to know the facts first. [/quote]

Provided with 5 performances. Easily obtainable refills online for as many performances as you want.

Living room would be fine. Two or three feet away is enough distance.
So on the latest Theory11 Expose today, they said the method Dan White used was new and created by Blake Vogt.....I'm confused because that looked exactly like Nailed It to me.
[quote]On Feb 12, 2016, TuneHV wrote:
So on the latest Theory11 Expose today, they said the method Dan White used was new and created by Blake Vogt.....I'm confused because that looked exactly like Nailed It to me. [/quote]

I don't think that's true at all. Scott Alexander posted on Facebook before Jimmy Fallon even aired saying something to the effect of "I hope Dan White nails it on the tonight show tonight." Which I immediately understood meant Dan would be performing nailed it.

Wow... I just watched it and I'm so confused. It was very clearly Scott Alexander's nailed it. Every part of it. I can't believe they are claiming to have created this.
TuneHV

Dan contacted me personally about this and from what I understand the boys in the crew tweaked my effect a bit. But it is definitely Nailed It. At least according to Dan.
I'm a little irked that T-11 didn't at least give me a shout out. :confused:
"We wanted to have a unique spin on it... and have the audience make all the decisions."

So Andrei thinks this effect is unique because the audience makes all the decisions? It would be unique, if unique had a completely opposite meaning!

What is going on? Theory 11 have never heard of any of the others where the audience make all the decisions? Really? Really?

Hype in magic is getting ridiculous! It verges on blatant lying.
Jonathan Bayme got on the comments and clarifies that it's my thing.
In Shattered which is over a decade on the market, the specs made the decisions too.
He wrote that it's "based on an effect by Scott Alexander"

Scott! I don't think you are claiming to have created the effect any more than I do.

You would think they'd know the difference between effect and routine. It's actually vital to know the difference!
I created the effect, right after I created FIRE!
LOL
[quote]On Feb 13, 2016, Scott Alexander wrote:
I created the effect, right after I created FIRE!
LOL [/quote]

Hey! That was based on my effect FLAME!
Which of course was based on a Marlo effect called FLAMO! :firedevil:
Been watching this thread for a while now and I think everyone has convinced me to go ahead and spend the money! Now I am just excited to get it and start working on fitting it into my show!
[quote]On Feb 9, 2016, Bill Hegbli wrote:
[quote]On Jan 29, 2016, korttihai_82 wrote:
@Juha-Matti

Juha-Matti [/quote]

Now you are not sure, well in December Scott Alexander did the yearly free Penguin Live Holiday show. On it Scott Alexander talked about his new product, showed how safe it would be. So I guess what you remember or don't, is that it was Scott Alexander that you were watching. That is what happens when you watch to many lecture videos, you should take notes or go back and find the reference before you post. Scott also talked about his bottle version, then segued into his new product. [/quote]

Bill, He was probably talking about the Jonathan Pendragon Lecture. I have no idea how Scott's is done but even if it was the same g**f they both could have come up with it independently. I really don't believe Scott would have taken it without credit. Scott has also developed an entire routine, not just a simple method. so it's really not an issue.
In a few weeks I have two 10 minutes spots at a banquet. The guests will be eating dinner. I have to have effects that will get there attention.

I'm performing my own effect "BANG chair test" for one slot. And I'm performed this for the spot. It's just too good to pass up and it demands attention from the crowd.

I will try to get videos if at all possible.
Whahaha, the replacements are out of stock. They didn't see that one coming :-)
Whahaha, the replacements are out of stock. They didn't see that one coming :-)
I found that out too...
They are in stock on my website.
They are still widely available on the internet.
[quote]On Feb 17, 2016, MadisonH wrote:
They are still widely available on the internet. [/quote]

Got a link? ;)
[quote]On Feb 17, 2016, randyburtis wrote:
[quote]On Feb 17, 2016, MadisonH wrote:
They are still widely available on the internet. [/quote]

Got a link? ;) [/quote]

Sure do. But I'm not going to share publicly ;)
Lol :)
ROTFL
So wait... can the audience make the decisions in the stock version of Nailed It??
[quote]On Feb 18, 2016, Mysterious Mike wrote:
So wait... can the audience make the decisions in the stock version of Nailed It?? [/quote]

They sure can. That's the beauty of it!
Hey guys,

I ordered Nailed It.

After waiting forever for customs to release it, I have it now, but no blocks of wood.

Im in Mexico, and they said something about the wood being treated, etc etc.

Scott, I emailed you to see the possibility of you shipping me some blocks of wood, or somehow showing me how to make some.

I have everything else I believe, but no blocks.

Thanks

Alex
Sure...I can send you out another set of blocks. PM me your mailing address.

Or I can give you the dimensions and you could make them or have someone make them for you.

I'll hook ya up!

-S
[quote]On Feb 12, 2016, Scott Alexander wrote:
TuneHV

Dan contacted me personally about this and from what I understand the boys in the crew tweaked my effect a bit. But it is definitely Nailed It. At least according to Dan.
I'm a little irked that T-11 didn't at least give me a shout out. :confused: [/quote]

The tweak was obvious to those of us who own this. It seemed to only need this minor tweak because Fallon stands to Dan's left the whole time. It helps the rest of us now for what to do at these somewhat surrounded performances.
Expendables kit back in stock on my site.

http://scottalexander.bigcartel.com/product/nailed-it-expendables-kit
Seems like a lot of these are for sale at the moment.
I've contacted the supplier and they stated that they will be restocked Mid-March with the expendables.
True...I had them order a ton.
Quite a few appear to be for sale on the Café now
That doesn't mean it's bad.

It's a shame, but I can guess what quite a few may well be doing.
I've got a feeling those that are selling it only bought it to learn the secret. If you're a performer, you will recognize the value of this piece and never let it go.
This is one of those tricks that doesn't really have a special "doo-dad" that you couldn't make or find easily yourself. So sadly, a lot of times people just suck up the information, copy and make the props themselves, rebox what came in the mail, and then sell it and make their money back.

This kinda sucks for creators who try and put out good commercial stuff. It hits us in the pocketbook whenever information is absorbed yet the hardware is ripped and resold.
I just performed this effect for the first time yesterday. It had them squirming in their seats with audible gasps. And even a few OMG's! when at the end the apple gets impaled. Having previously performed Shattered! I feel this surpassed the reactions I got from that. The apple impaling completely sells the effect. Bravo again Scott for putting out brilliant, usable material. (Super Fly is still my favorite but this is a close second)

Millard Brooks/Billy Ray
All due respect to Sashac, but when I recently saw a certain UK mentalist (mentioned earlier in this thread), I'm quite certain it was Scott's method he was using.
Ah, sorry, Jon Allen I should've been addressing. Jon, if so, these appear very similar, no?
Hi Illucifer. I can tell you for a fact that a certain UK mentalist was using mine.

Yes, they are very similar in appearance but very different in their methodology and handling.
Yep, I just glanced at performances of both again and one subtle difference made it clear that it was yours in play. :)
Https://youtu.be/dtfZbqAj2fU

OMG! This poor woman got her hand impaled on the nail while helping do this trick. I don't think I'll ever risk getting this trick!
Don't that that was this trick.
[quote]On Jul 5, 2016, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
Don't that that was this trick. [/quote]
It doesn't look like he was using "nailed it" to me
[quote]On Jul 5, 2016, mndude wrote:
Https://youtu.be/dtfZbqAj2fU

OMG! This poor woman got her hand impaled on the nail while helping do this trick. I don't think I'll ever risk getting this trick! [/quote]

Definitely NOT Nailed It. It is literally impossible for this to happen with Scott's method. Even if you are the dumbest person on earth!
I really want to pick this up, but don't have the most appropriate venues to perform it in. Where are you guys performing this effect? I love the look of this and trust Scott's work 100%.
Derren Brown performed a nail in bag effect at his Miracle show last night.
Wonder if it is this version.
@reignofsound heard that DB is using Jon Allen version.
[quote]On Jul 6, 2016, Lseeyou wrote:
@reignofsound heard that DB is using Jon Allen version. [/quote]

Which is the same version the Polish man used on TV and impaled a woman's hand
[quote]On Jul 6, 2016, MadisonH wrote:

Which is the same version the Polish man used on TV and impaled a woman's hand [/quote]

Hope you don't want to "copy" his performance :D
[quote]On Jul 6, 2016, Nikki78 wrote:
[quote]On Jul 6, 2016, MadisonH wrote:

Which is the same version the Polish man used on TV and impaled a woman's hand [/quote]

Hope you don't want to "copy" his performance :D [/quote]

Great entertainment value/ publicity! 😝
With certain methods, especially under the stress of a television performance, we can mentally fog over due to nerves or whatever and we see once again the outcome. I wanted a method that was safe even under those conditions. Poor lady!
Jus wanted to say that I have used this effect several times, and it's an amazing effect. I have my audience on the edge of their seats, with the impending doom, and the final closure of the trick seals the deal, and it leavs them speachless. I think this is by far a great tool to add into any performance.
Just to share an interesting compliment I got using Scott's Nailed it. The woman later told me she had seen other magician's doing this type of trick and it seemed their "props" were strange looking. She told me it was obvious I was just using a strong steel nail. :D
I've had a similar experience RC4MAG - the conviction is strong with this one!
The conviction is very strong especially with the impaling of the apple at the end.

MB
I would be curious to know how this differed from Jon Allen's Pain Game, but I already own Pain Game and it is terrific so I don't see the need to invest in a new smash & stab routine. Looks great though! John's is 100% safe too.
[quote]On Jul 11, 2016, Scott Alexander wrote:
With certain methods, especially under the stress of a television performance, we can mentally fog over due to nerves or whatever and we see once again the outcome. I wanted a method that was safe even under those conditions. Poor lady! [/quote]

Jon Allen version is 99% safe.
Scott Alexander is 100% safe.

those who know/have both effects understand why.
I do own both and agree with Lseeyou

Scott's is 1000% safe, no risk of any kind
With Jon's, it's safe if and only if you do everything that you have to do in order to prevent any accident and this is exactly what happened with the guy who hurt the woman's hand

For me both effects are great and I will use them both depending on the conditions
I'ver performed Nailed It in every single one of my shows since I received it. Perfectly safe, is probably one of my favorite tricks to perform because the impact is real and I don't have to worry. It's so safe I can focus on the presentation and connecting with the audience during the trick. One of my best purchases by far. I can't see myself ever taking this out of my show.
I want to be honest. I owned Nailed It. I did in fact get hurt by it. It just happened - maybe my fault maybe not.it just happened.I did bleed ...yes..
Also I own Jon Allen`s version.
Allen`s can be shown really from every angle and quite near. I like it a bit more. Well. It still does not get the 100% because when you smash the bags too wildely in the standard version it COULD happen to flash something...unlikely but I work in Stand Up situations a lot.
I will find some solution for this and then finally I will be happy.
I also own some "dangerous" models and the best of them for me is still Hakan Varol`s nail - but this is no longer available I think (Had the small and the bigger version. This one was also performed many times by some pros.(TV etc.)just my personal opinion. But dangerous...

Jonathan Pendragon gave also good input on his online lecture...which shall not be overlooked.
best wishes,
T
I still love this and consider it one of my favorite purchases. It never fails to elicit a great response from the audience. Especially when the apple gets impaled at the end.

A reason I prefer this over pain game: Pain Game tends to have a noise issue. I saw a performer use pain game in his show recently and felt uncomfortable because as he shows the empty blocks and mixed the bags around, you could hear a slight jingling sound.
Brainman - I don't see how you could possibly get hurt with nailed it. Jonathan Pendragon's version is slightly more dangerous than nailed it if anything, and that's supposedly 100% safe as well
Also I agree the apple at the end is fantastic, and I like to casually eat the apple during the trick giving a feel like I really don't care about the danger element - great comedy if treated correctly
It is nice to be able to be carefree when performing a routine like this. It is just as freeing as wearing no underwear!
How many people have bought Nailed It and are unhappy ? I waited a long time before spending this much for a trick, and thought it would be worth it. The description says that the "Spike is examined and proven real by the audience", the only thing that could be examined is the wood blocks. Everything else ,including the smashed bags and the apple can't be examined.
What you recieve may seen underwhelming. But during the routine you do "prove" the spike is real. No one cares to examine anything at the end. Give it a performance, I'm sure you'll love it.
[quote]On Jan 5, 2017, joe faro wrote:
How many people have bought Nailed It and are unhappy ? I waited a long time before spending this much for a trick, and thought it would be worth it. The description says that the "Spike is examined and proven real by the audience", the only thing that could be examined is the wood blocks. Everything else ,including the smashed bags and the apple can't be examined. [/quote]

There are so many provers in the routine. You shouldn't worry about it. The audience hears the metal bang against wood, someone feels the spike and confirms it is sharp, and then at the end it goes right through the Apple with ease. I promise... everyone knows that spike is real.

Also, there's no need for anything to be examined more than it is. Why would you hand out the apple for examination? Why would you hand out empty bags or wooden blocks out for examination? There's no need for all of that over proving.

If you feel so inclined, Scott teaches a method to nail the spike into a board and give it as a souvenir. I think it's perfect as is though.
I'm unhappy that the description for the trick says that " Spike is examined and proven real by the audience". There can be no examination, only a person feeling the point while you hold the block and spike. Just feeling the point is a lot different than examining the spike.
I can't say I've been unhappy with this - quite the opposite! I agree 100% with Madison on this - technically, it can be examined (at the end, as he notes), but I do think the routine is pretty much perfect as is - any more examination to my mind is over-proving and/or inviting challenge - the opposite of what you want in a routine or show. Let's just say that people buy it as real so strongly that I had to expose it to my wife in order for her to allow me to continue performing it because she was concerned for my safety, even after I assured her it was 100% safe.

From my experience, the most commonly thought of "solution" from my lay audiences (and from youtube comments I've seen on videos of nail roulette performed on TV) is that the nail is m*gnetically attached to the block and you know where it is. So I take extra care to ensure both of these lines of thinking are debunked when performing this routine.
I'm unhappy that the description for the trick says that " Spike is examined and proven real by the audience". There can be no examination, only a person feeling the point while you hold the block and spike. Just feeling the point is a lot different than examining the spike. [/quote]

I don't think you should be unhappy at all. As a matter of fact, the way the spike is "examined" throughout the routine from beginning to end makes it seem like it's real.

Heck, as the spectator touches the spike I even say, "That's not a fake spike is it? It's not like made of foam or something? No it's a real metal spike. And it's actually sharp isn't it?"

I promise they will say all of those things are true. It is very convincing indeed.
I'm unhappy that the description for the trick says that " Spike is examined and proven real by the audience". There can be no examination, only a person feeling the point while you hold the block and spike. Just feeling the point is a lot different than examining the spike. [/quote]

If you are interested in this routine, don't let comments like this stop you from getting it. Nailed It, in my opinion, is a near perfect method. I've performed it for the past year and its completely safe, and extremely convincing.
This is so weird that this thread would resurrect itself today because I purchased this effect off another Café member earlier this week and happened to receive it just this afternoon. I was excited to watch the DVD so I immediately popped it in.

I can honestly say that I love Scott's method and routine. I never thought I would perform a smash & stab because I just felt it wasn't worth it when there are so many other fantastic effects to choose from.

Then I happened to watch a Saturn Magic review show and although it wasn't one of the effects featured on the episode they did happen to mention Nailed It and raved about it but most importantly how fool proof it was, so that got my interest. So I looked up Scott's performance of it and I'm not ashamed to admit that it fooled me badly. I was totally convinced that everything was real and on the up and up. Lots of provers in the routine as others have said. Upon learning the method I was very excited to perform it and I am extremely HAPPY with my purchase. I don't have any other type of effect in my repertoire that can create this type of suspense and emotional reaction with an audience.

Joe Faro, you didn't give an indication as to how long you've been performing magic but if you're a relative newcomer then I can see how you might be expecting to receive some James Bond like marvel of a gimmick that could be closely examined and then become as limp as a wet noodle upon your command. But more experienced performers would realize that there are enough convincers that any audience is going to totally believe that you're using a genuine spike, and it can be given away at the end if you so desire so I feel that it does live up to the ad copy.
But what I'm confused by is that you said you waited a long time before spending this much money on a trick so I would imagine you must have done considerable research and watched a demo of it, and so I can only surmise that it must have fooled you. And if not, then you likely had somewhat of an idea of what you were essentially getting. So I'm surprised that you are unhappy with it.

Bottom line for me is that this about as close to a perfect method for a smash & stab spike routine that I could hope for.
I've never considered doing this routine, until now. This looks exceptionally clean. Great release Scott!
I have been performing this for about 6 months and I am extremely happy with it. So is my audience. I have received all kind of reactions with it. At a show, one guy nearly fainted. The suspens was too much to bear he told me after the show. To him, it was one of the highlights.
I have performed this recently on a stage that was a bit far from the audience. So instead of having someone touch the spike at the beginning I used a balloon. I just blew it up and it exploded as soon as it got in contact with the spike.
It was effective, maybe not as much as having the spectator touch it but it did suit the venue.

Now I have a general question. I have a family show planned for a soccer club. There will be all ages presen, kids with parents. Would you do such a trick with this type of audience? I was thinking of talking about sport adrenaline and show how I get my very own adrenaline rush.
What are your thoughts about this routine and the younger audience? In my opinion it is not adapted but I would love to hear your views.
No don't do it with kids around.

For family shows and rebookings I use Steve Prices Omlette Roulette which is brilliant.
Interesting idea with the balloon. Makes for a nice convincer when you can't reach someone on a larger stage very easily. I suppose the alternative would be to bring someone up on stage with you...

I was going to mention one of the egg roulette routines as a great option for kids. Steve Price's is very good, but there are a variety of these you could do. I also quite like the White Russian Roulette idea from Scott Alexander's most recent Penguin Live lecture where the phone is at risk as another possible idea (although perhaps you call it "Milk" instead of an alcoholic beverage). Basically - any of the Russian roulette routines where the thing at risk is either an inanimate object or won't cause real harm to you or someone else.
Thank you both. You are right; It seemed logical after I asked ;)
I will look into the Omelette routine. Scott's white russian routine is indeed a good alternative.

As for the balloon, I did think of bringing someone up on the stage but the balloon had a very nice visual and dramatic appeal. I just stress to them that it could be my hand and I could see people's face change at that point.
I think the balloon is a great idea whether you use a specs hand or not.
The pop would definitely get people's attention.
It could also be used at the end just before the apple.
Don't want to get into over proving but gives me some ideas to ponder.
Thanks!
I'm glad that so many are happy with this trick. I'm also surprised that no one want's to make negative comments on the method. Scott must have a lot of friends and influence in the magic community, (good for him). This method just isn't going to work for me. Luckily I bought it from a company that will allow me to return it for credit, it pays to do business with a reputable company.
So that's what you got out of this discussion?
Your conclusion is that it must all just be a big conspiracy from fanboys of Scott?
Really???

Or maybe we're all being completely honest and truly believe it to be a great method.

Well, I sincerely hope that you don't end up in the ER one day with a metal spike in your hand just to be able to get whatever additional convincers you feel you need for this trick.
[quote]On Jan 6, 2017, joe faro wrote:
I'm glad that so many are happy with this trick. I'm also surprised that no one want's to make negative comments on the method. Scott must have a lot of friends and influence in the magic community, (good for him). This method just isn't going to work for me. Luckily I bought it from a company that will allow me to return it for credit, it pays to do business with a reputable company. [/quote]

Spoken like a true member of the magiccafe. You asked a question. You got many replies from satisfied customers. If you just came expecting everyone to say how awful this trick is, I'm sorry you're disappointed. If you don't like the trick because it doesn't meet your requirements, that's fine. But most of the owners of this love it.
[quote]On Jan 6, 2017, joe faro wrote:
I'm glad that so many are happy with this trick. I'm also surprised that no one want's to make negative comments on the method. Scott must have a lot of friends and influence in the magic community, (good for him). This method just isn't going to work for me. Luckily I bought it from a company that will allow me to return it for credit, it pays to do business with a reputable company. [/quote]

Wow. Joe, I don't know Scott Alexander at all. I only speak from experience of actually performing the effect. This is considered the best spike effect out there; why not give it a try?
[quote]On Jan 7, 2017, Mysterious Mike wrote:
This is considered the best spike effect out there [/quote]

Not by everyone... :)
I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. I just thought there would be other buyers of the trick that felt it doesn't work as advertised. If you are happy with the method then great, I'm not trying to change your mind. I'll continue to look for a method that works for me. Thanks for everyone's input.
Apology accepted. Just for future reference, I think where you "ruffled feathers" is when you stated (incorrectly, I might add) that those who claim to like the routine must be influenced by Scott, either as friends or some other way.

I know I personally resent, as I'm sure others do, when people make blind accusations about our motives without any evidence only because it does not jive with their own opinion or circumstance. For the record, my statements are made as someone who has no connection to Scott other than I've bought a few of his products and have used them. My comments come from my experience performing Nailed It in live shows after having spent my hard-earned cash on the effect.

Anyone who wants to disagree with my opinion is welcome to it, and I hold no hard feelings for difference of opinion. After all, we all have different requirements, tradeoffs we are willing to make, etc. As the idiom goes "one man's trash is another man's treasure." Good luck on your search for a version that fits you!
[quote]On Jan 7, 2017, Jon Allen wrote:

Not by everyone... :) [/quote]

Touché.
I'm a buyer and I love it. It works exactly as advertised and the convincers of them touching the spike and the apple at the end are all that is needed. I will admit that I am influenced by Scott but only to buy some of the great magic he puts out.

Millard Brooks
[quote]On Jan 7, 2017, Jon Allen wrote:

Not by everyone... :) [/quote]

I am sure Jon's contribution to this classic is great too. Sorry Jon, I saw about yours after I had purchased Nailed it. I am satisfied with Scott's version so I won't spend again on this routine.

To answer Joe's comment. I don't know Scott personally but I find this routine to tick all the boxes. I don't comment negatively because I don't have anything bad to say. I guess that's fair enough.

Patrick
Feels weird to make a first comment, maybe better to say "hello" first. I have been reading so many posts on the Café and it was always very helpful, so thank you to you all first! Probably time to get involved and make contributions, hope not to stir up anything at anytime... I had "Nailed it!" and think that it is a VERY clever solution to this kind of effect, congrats to Scott. However, I think it is also correct to add that you CAN get hurt (probably not impaled) by doing his version. Those who own (or have owned) this will understand what I mean. I think that needs to be mentioned in this discussion. Personally, I prefer Jon`s Pain game, which is more realistic and more impressive/nicer (i.e. the props you get) in my opinion and is "completely safe", if you did not have too much to drink or taken any drugs, and if you do not forget to do one thing... ergo 99% safe. Hope this was a bit helpful. Thanks to both Scott and Jon for two great somewhat similar and yet very different products.
I don't think you can describe something as safe by saying, as long as you do this or as long as you do that it will be, a normal nail in a block of wood is safe as long as you remember where it is and don't hit it!

Nailed It is safe and you will not end up impaled.

If you did have a complete brain fade you may get a bruise or at worst a very small cut from Nailed It, in the bonus instructions we offer there is no risk of doing what people on here are saying is possible.

For those that have not bought from us a simple fix to avoid any possible injury using what you have is to have a 90 degree bend put in the thing at one end so it won't go in the block, those who have this will understand, but we have a better solution which is really great.
Ok...I own maaany spike versions. I owned Nailed it.
For me it did not work because:
Angle issue
you have to have a certain distance to the specs
and I got impaled once and my palm was bleeding...
So I stick to my other versions and work on them.

My two honest cents ; )
[quote]On Jan 17, 2017, brainman wrote:

and I got impaled once and my palm was bleeding...

My two honest cents ; ) [/quote]

THat was nailed it [?]

I don't have this but it's on my radar

I thought it was 100% safe
Seems like some have it in for this effect for some reason, it is safe.

You stand more chance getting paper cut off the bag or splinter off the block of wood.

If you class those as injuries as both would make you bleed then I would agree this is not safe, but come on you are not going to end up with a nail through your hand!
I have this and I cannot see how one can get injured let alone bleed. I find it more painful to slam a styrofoam cup with nothing underneath it.

But again, maybe I need to perform it more to reconsider the safety of this version. But so far, this is the safest Russian Roulette in my opinion.

I am even shocked to see some owners say they can get a bruise. I read that and feel I missed something in the DVD.

I just love this version. An absolute worker of a routine with great layers.
Ash2arani, there is a way to get slightly hurt, but it's minuscule. I'll pm you a link to the science behind it.
[quote]On Jan 17, 2017, itsmagic wrote:
Ash2arani, there is a way to get slightly hurt, but it's minuscule. I'll pm you a link to the science behind it. [/quote]

what you can hurt your pride?

the science being - if a member of the puplic shouts out the method while you are performing it?
I think all this talk of being injured by this is more misleading than anything else to someone considering buying this.

The fact is you are not going to end up with a nail through or embedded in your hand as you could be with most of the other effects on the market.

Could you be injured by this in some way, yes in loads of ways, you could get a splinter in your hand, a paper cut and you may even get a bruise if you hit your hand down too hard on the wood block or any other of the items supplied.

All these types of possible injury are nothing compared to slamming a nail through your hand, you could get most of those injuries from a deck of cards!!

When we say it's safe that obviously excludes any minor injury you might get if you were to abuse any effect you may perform.
Mine simply was stuck in my palm and it did bleed. Since I need a well functioning palm I switched to
another method. NO problem. Murphy's Law?
I do magic since 35 years..things happen ; )
[quote]On Jan 18, 2017, brainman wrote:
Mine simply was stuck in my palm and it did bleed. Since I need a well functioning palm I switched to
another method. NO problem. Murphy's Law?
I do magic since 35 years..things happen ; ) [/quote]

the spike stuck into your palm [?]

during performance [?]

was it something you did wrong - or a faulty 'gimmick'?
Nope..during training. I like to "smash" the bags really hard ...not just "squeeze-press-boomboom".
That was it for me...and the angle and distance problem...so
In most of my sttings people are close to me....and not always only in front of me.
JUST my opinion on this.
I knew about this principal already (Jonathan Pendragon...)..but gave it a try.
; )
There's no way the spike can stick in your palm with Nailed It. Unless you are modifying the method, you must be talking about another product.

Mike
A few people have said you can't do this surrounded, well you can.

I'll give you all one of our bonus tips for this.

Put the block of wood and nail in a pouch, take out the nail and bang it on the table, then hold the pouch with the same hand as the nail and reach in for the block.

You do what you need to as you get out the block using the pouch which means you can now do this 360 surrounded.
Anybody knows what's the sizes of the paper bags used ? Thanks :)
Any where in the UK to order extra bags, gimmicks etc.
Website directs to US store.

Thanks
The bags can be bought at a lot of stores. I got like 100 at Target for a very small price (I don't remember exactly how much it was)

Gimmicks I just get at the site Scott recommends.
I am recently out of bags,,,have only larger ones to cut down ..thanks for the tip..I'll look there
most ironically ... I saw the gimmicks for sale in our local target about a month or two ago

Marty :stuckinbag:
Just curious, how many of you are still using this in your shows? I just purchased this and am very excited to perform it. I would never have considered it until I knew it was 100% safe. Someone else already posted like me, I had to share with my girlfriend so she could let me perform it. I see this as a definite closer for my parlor set. Does anyone else put it somewhere else in their set?
[quote]On Sep 5, 2019, Ernst VCO wrote:
Just curious, how many of you are still using this in your shows? I just purchased this and am very excited to perform it. I would never have considered it until I knew it was 100% safe. Someone else already posted like me, I had to share with my girlfriend so she could let me perform it. I see this as a definite closer for my parlor set. Does anyone else put it somewhere else in their set? [/quote]
I do :), I normally do Hook by Eric Ross now just cause it packs so flat. But I still do Nailed It at events.
I do Hook by Eric Ross it gets great reactions and is really fun to perform. I have Nailed it and the Pain Game by Jon Allan also, and prefer Pain Game as it looks and feels much more real imo.
I used Nailed It! for about three years. It was the third piece in my partner sideshow act, and sometimes a middle piece in my solo show.

I recently switched out for Pain Game, though, as there's significantly less set up/waste involved.
Thank you for the responses and tips I will definitely look into those!
[quote]On Sep 5, 2019, Ernst VCO wrote:
Just curious, how many of you are still using this in your shows? I just purchased this and am very excited to perform it. I would never have considered it until I knew it was 100% safe. Someone else already posted like me, I had to share with my girlfriend so she could let me perform it. I see this as a definite closer for my parlor set. Does anyone else put it somewhere else in their set? [/quote]

I usually use it to close my show getting a very good response, I think there is nothing more shocking and direct than this to put some game after

spectacular closing end
I have seen hook by eric ross, that is definitely another one will consider because of size. WitchDocChris I have considered this a closer. I'm not sure I currently have any effects that play bigger than this. Most of my effects are cards and coins with a gambling theme. I will present this as a form of Russian Roulette. Just curious as to effects the you use to follow this?
To preface - I hate the way almost everyone presents Russian Roulette styled routines. Mine is presented as a way to establish trust between myself and the audience. It's not a 'danger stunt', it's a display of faith in the audience and in intuition - which also creeps them out until the end.

In the side show act, it's followed by a variety of other sideshow/geek magic stunts. Usually the bit right afterward is my wife performing Human Link or Animal Trap, then me doing razor blades or needle through hand, then a bed of nails or glass walking. That, of course, depends on the specific event and venue.

In my solo show I use it early on, usually. Maybe 2nd or 3rd. As I said above, it's used as a piece that displays trust in the audience, and establishes a connection. It's also a piece that does not require anyone to come up on stage, but does involve audience participation, which helps condition people to understand that when I ask for volunteers it's going to make that volunteer look good. My shows are very volunteer-heavy so I have to make a lot of effort to establish that people are going to enjoy volunteering early on.
Isn’t this Jonathan Pendragon’s method that he’s been doing for decades? Appreciate clarification.
No...not as such.

JP published a routine in the March 1986 Genii p.593 which was a Russian Roulette routine with an egg.

At Magic Live in 2013 I had a conversation with him wherein he complimented me on Shattered. The following is is a direct quote. I wrote it in my phone because I was so *** proud that someone I respected and admired greatly liked my idea. "That idea of the co***sible bottle was brilliant. I wish I though of that." I then told him about Nailed It, and how I changed it to pack smaller and he mentioned his egg trick to me at that time. Then, he was pulled away by someone else.

Fast forward to 2015 and his Penguin Live Lecture. I was stunned that he showed the gimmick I discussed with him two years earlier. He said on this lecture, that although he published the egg method, he actually used the other method in his shows. The reason he gave for not tipping the method in Genii was because he was terrified that someone would try it and hurt themselves. My question to him after seeing his lecture (which went unanswered) was why would you be terrified to publish a method in Genii that couldn't possibly hurt someone? Wouldn't it keep them from getting hurt? My personal opinion is that he may indeed have done it at some point with a nail or spindle, but a real one.

He must have forgotten our conversation and fused it with his older idea and then taught it on his lecture.

Makes me think of the quote from "A Few Good Men."
"If you ordered Santiago not to be touched, and your orders are always followed, why was it necessary to transfer him off the base?"

In other words, "If you were terrified that someone would hurt themselves, but there is no danger in your method, then why not publish it in 1986?"

Nailed It is a completely thought out routine that obviously has multi-layered considerations and performance time in it. The thought and details in my presentation are obviously refined over time, whereas JP simply mentioned an idea and said use a s**aw so you don't get hurt.

He is still a badass and I love him, but this was and is disappointing to me.

Hope that provides some clarification to you Futureal.
Bringing this back, again. But not for why you think.

I'm primarily a kid's performer, but I do shows for specialty adult groups (seniors, civic groups, etc.) and am excited to have gotten this great routine as a finale. But my question concerns the teen audience, for which I get quite a few requests. Many posts here on the Café recommend doing our adult show for this age group. With the current state of these youngsters (Tide Pod challenges, beer enemas-- which have led to alcohol poisoning; I've even heard of one kid attempting a paint ball "bullet catch" after watching what I term the "moron magician,") my question is this: at what age should this (or any danger) effect, be performed? I've always outlined routines with the "if in doubt, throw it out," mentality, but this is such a strong effect I wanted to ask the professionals here. Thank you for any words of advise.
If you want to really scare a bunch of teenagers perform a smash and stab routine which involves smashing their phone and then let them free to try this at home with their friends' phones.

[quote]On May 8, 2021, psylocke wrote:
If you want to really scare a bunch of teenagers perform a smash and stab routine which involves smashing their phone and then let them free to try this at home with their friends' phones.

. [/quote]

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: