(Close Window)
Topic: Best modern day mentalism books?
What are some of the best modern day mentalism books? Times are a-changing. I have the classics (Anneman, etc), but what's some of the best reading for today's audiences?
The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy Vol 2: Fundamentals.

Don't worry about the "Vol 2" bit. He's just bad at titles. He's masterful at everything else.
Anything by Barrie Richardson.
Banachek's "Psychological Subtleties 1" is a must-read
Mitox
1. Unreal 2. Bairn
In addition to those mentioned

When in Rome - Pete Turner
A Piece of My Mind - Michael Murray
The Black Project - Looch
Olivia - Myke Phillips

Mark
I can second Banachek's "Psychological Subtleties 1" and Michael Murray's "A Piece of My Mind". Both are fantastic.

I have looked very eagerly at Ken Dyne's "Bairn" but haven't had chance to read it yet. Also, everything I've seen from Bob Cassidy has been quality, so I have high hopes for "The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy Vol 2". Both are on my "hope to own soon" list.
Chuck Hickok's "Mentalism Inc."
Reading Unreal by Bruce Bernstein, learning a lot and really enjoying it.
[quote]On Feb 6, 2016, mrmysticmike wrote:
Chuck Hickok's "Mentalism Inc." [/quote]

I agree... both volumes are full of great ideas.
Mark Elsdon - mentalism reveals. Hard to get, but I so often come back to that, it really changed the way I compose my act.

Richard Osterlind - principles of magic. Again no tricks, but I feel this is a must have book for many mentalists.

Phil Smith - mokele, mitox, yokai. Some good performance pieces in these, but the true value is the thinking behind the ideas and principles.

Michael Murray - a piece of my mind. Must be life's work from a genius. Highly recommended

Others to mention: Bob Cassidy books, Ken Webers maximum entertainment, Peter Turner books (if you can get hold of one!)
I adore the work of Sean Waters.
[quote]On Feb 6, 2016, Mysterious Mike wrote:
What are some of the best modern day mentalism books? Times are a-changing. I have the classics (Anneman, etc), but what's some of the best reading for today's audiences? [/quote]

What type/style of mentalism are you interested in?
All of Richard Osterlind books,
A lifetime of Magic by Charles Gauci,
Unreal by Bruce Bernstein,
Works of Jack Kent Tillar,
And I feel Penguin Lectures are a good introduction to a magic creators works, before diving into their books.
I wouldn't classify Anneman's stuff as old. Maybe to some, but not to me. Modern to me is stuff that's accessible within my time-frame.Until Anneman's stuff becomes very hard to come by, I wouldn't label it as old. Many modern performers use Anneman's stuff, even just with a few tweaks. But based on your definition of old and Modern I would say to me:

Old: Telepathy in Action by Orville Meyer

Modern: True Mysteries 1 and 2 by Fraser Parker
Principals of Mentalism by Osterlind
Fundamentals 2 by Cassidy
Mentalism Inc by Hickok
Psychological Subtleties by Banachek
Divine by McLeod
Unreal by Bernstien
Practical Mental Effects by Annemann
Naked Mentalism by Thompson
Psychometry from A to Z by Webster
13 Steps to Mentalism by Corinda
The Perfected Center Tear by Osterlind

The amazing thing is that the price of all these books combined -- which constitute a complete course in mentalism principals, concepts, presentations and routines -- cost less than any two of my university Journalism textbooks.

David
Another vote for Cassidy and Osterlind books. And may I suggest Andy Nyman's work since I just love him so much.
I have to ask (and apologise for being facetious) but do you really want your audiences to be reading mentalism material, modern or otherwise? 😉
Message: Posted by: MentalistCreationLab (Feb 10, 2016 09:36AM)
Scryer and Friends which some are calling The new Practical Mental Effects (PME) for the 21st century myself included and I will add its better that PME as its more uptdate with its effects for a modern auence. (Some of you will know PME under the its newer title Practical Mental Magic).

The main reason this book is so great is in part to those who contributed to the book and who gave some of their best materiel to its creation. This single book contains masterpieces of mentalism and its related arts from working pro after working pro with a few contributions from some very talented armature performers as well who's thinking is simply brilliant.

Contains works from Jerome Finley, Ted Karmilovich, Mark Salem, Docc Hilford, Ron Chavis, Bob Casssidy (Dr. Crow), Paul Shirley, Paul Carnazzo, Esmeralda “Gypsy,” Joshua Quinn, Craig Filicetti, S.E. Rivkin, Doug Dyment, Misaki Gabrielli, Jonathan Stravinsky, Toni Iacoviello, Richard Mark, Aroldo Lattarulo, Clairaudio, EXP, Joseph Curcillo, Richard Webster, Father Anthony, Abha, Dan (Evil Dan) Terelmes, Prince Thebs, Colleen Terelmes, Rich Hennessey, Neal Rider, Roy Shubert, Sal Franchino, Rick Roth, Bob Killian, Nick Belleas, Allen Zingg, Mauricio Jaramillo, Bobby Torkova, Greg Edmonds, David Thiel, Witch Doctor, Charles Garner, Patrick Redford, Daniele Nigris, Anthony Jacquin, Kev Sheldrake, Ken Dyne, Luca Volpe, Walter Davis, Sebastian Black, Jon Stetson, Looch, Scott Grossberg, Raj Madhok, Alexander Thomas, Paul Romhany, TC Tahoe, Thomas Heine & Rainer Mees (ParaLabs), Alexandre, Mota, Nefesch, Meraux Dantes, Darrell Mac, Max Maven, Ross Johnson, Colin McLeod, Paul Voodini, Banachek, Alain Nu, Pablo Amira, W. M. Barclay, Alexander Nelson, Bill Montana, Christopher Taylor, John Riggs, Michael Weber, Tony Razzano, Rudy Hunter, Iain Dunford, Carlos Emesqua, Owen Darque, Juan David Arbelaez, Joe Zabel, Sibyl, H. Arcana.

And its over 600 pages.

Really a monumental work.
I really enjoy reading and re-reading Scryer and Friends!
To paraphrase Max Maven "everything".
"Maximum Entertainment" by Ken Weber. At first I didn't want to purchase a book with no effects in it but I am so glad I did. It broke me of the annoying unfunny habbit of telling people "oh, you like the mind you have"
So many good suggestions in this topic, I'd some how missed Scryer and Friends (I've been "out of the game" for a few years). After that write up by MentalistCreationLab and Mr Redford's post (Who also shouldn't go unmentioned when talking about modern mentalism! His work is in among my favorites) I'm very eager to find a copy of this book! There is [b]ONE[/b] available close to me but I doubt I'll have the money together before it's gone :(. Maybe I'll get lucky.
Wow! Looks like I'm going to need a new bookshelf!
Speaking of Max M....there's a worldview shifting book I left off of my list: Prism by Maven. It is one of the best buys in modern mentalism.

David
[quote]On Feb 12, 2016, David Thiel wrote:
Speaking of Max M....there's a worldview shifting book I left off of my list: Prism by Maven. It is one of the best buys in modern mentalism.

David [/quote]
Just after this thread was started I picked this one of my bookshelf to read it again.
Almost at the last page and I must agree with you!
By the way, is there no online lending library for magic and mentalism books ? Something like a pay per view model. That could be a game changer.
[quote]On Feb 16, 2016, IMAGINACIAN wrote:
By the way, is there no online lending library for magic and mentalism books ? Something like a pay per view model. That could be a game changer. [/quote]
Ask Alexander
Leaving aside the classic texts such as Corinda 13 Steps, The Jinx/PME , Tarbell, etc...

If you want a modern collection of what Mentalism is or can be :
Richard Webster-Neal Scryer & Friends
Max Maven-Prism

If you want to absorb the core basic approach to perform and understand Mentalism properly in my opinion:
Bob Cassidy-The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy Vol 2
Banachek-Psychological Subtleties
Kenton Knepper-Anti Tada
Ken Weber- Maximum Entertainment
Michael Weber- "6 golden rules" from Carnival of Secrets

I can also recommend authors that are not mentioned: Paul Voodini and Jerome Finley.

Best
Luke Jermay - Modern Mentalism.

SH
Paramiracles and Mitox for me !!!!!
I love Bairn by Kennedy. Really enjoyable read.

Also really enjoy the black project and a piece of my mind.

Looking forward to Atlas Brookings new book.
John Riggs' work deserves a spot on this list.
How about "SYZYGY" by Lee Earle... Lots of usable effects.
Shooz
[quote]On Mar 24, 2016, pancho247 wrote:

Looking forward to Atlas Brookings new book. [/quote]

Thanks Pancho - we are looking good to start mailing them out on April 12th.

Best,

Atlas
The best mentalism book I've read in recent years is "Mental Sweets" by Fabien Arcole. It's real world mentalism, well written and illustrated. Seems to be getting overlooked for some reason. Perhaps because the methods are not "clever" enough. They merely work.
[quote]On Mar 26, 2016, Robb wrote:
Perhaps because the methods are not "clever" enough. They merely work. [/quote]
Check out the brilliant work of Sean Waters. His material is fantastic, and I consider him to be the best writer in the genre.
[quote]On Mar 26, 2016, Atlas wrote:
Perhaps because the methods are not "clever" enough. They merely work. [/quote] [/quote]
Perhaps because the methods are not "clever" enough. They merely work. [/quote] [/quote] [/quote]
[quote]On Mar 26, 2016, dan the man wrote:
Perhaps because the methods are not "clever" enough. They merely work. [/quote] [/quote] [/quote] [/quote]
Ok, enough of that.
[quote]On Mar 27, 2016, Robb wrote:
Ok, enough of that. [/quote]
[quote]On Mar 27, 2016, IAIN wrote:
[quote]On Mar 27, 2016, Robb wrote:
Ok, enough of that. [/quote] [/quote]
Reminded me of this:

http://uk.complex.com/pop-culture/2014/05/ryan-gosling-macaulay-culkin
Short book - but tequila Hustler was a great little find for me - didn't believe it would work when I read it !!!
Message: Posted by: Investigative Mentalist (Apr 1, 2016 01:08AM)
The best mentalism book I've read in recent years is "Mental Sweets" by Fabien Arcole. It's real world mentalism, well written and illustrated. Seems to be getting overlooked for some reason. Perhaps because the methods are not "clever" enough. They merely work. [/quote]

Thanks for the heads up on "Mental Sweets!"

I just ordered a copy.

That is exactly the kind of mentalism book I like: fresh takes on classic effects by working pros.
[quote]On Apr 1, 2016, SeattleSteve wrote:
The best mentalism book I've read in recent years is "Mental Sweets" by Fabien Arcole. It's real world mentalism, well written and illustrated. Seems to be getting overlooked for some reason. Perhaps because the methods are not "clever" enough. They merely work. [/quote]

I just ordered a copy.

That is exactly the kind of mentalism book I like: fresh takes on classic effects by working pros. [/quote]

20% discount for 'Mental Sweets' on Lulu through 3 April using code: SHOWER20

(The discount code is good for all print books on Lulu, BTW.)

I just ordered a copy.

That is exactly the kind of mentalism book I like: fresh takes on classic effects by working pros. [/quote]

You won't be disappointed Steve.

I just ordered a copy.

Thanks Robb, very touched!!!
It's a book that I have co-written with my good friend and expert on billet work : Eric BERTRAND

SeattleSteve : I wish you a "good tasting". Don't hesitate to leave your impressions in the [url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=607871&forum=303]dedicated review topic[/url] once you have read it ... and if some questions remains, feel free to contact me in PM.
Prism - Max Maven
Mental sweets got my attention
Holy moly is Atlas's new book terrific. Kind of stunned that it hasn't been discussed in the last few days in this context. Hard to think of things that are any better. I just was blown away by it.

CT
Too many great books - I keep searching and discover more and more books - the really interesting thing for me is taking a little from each and getting a great routine - just need the finance to get everything on my wishlist
Atlas Brookings (anything)
Richard Osterlind

We are living in lucky times though.
I know if I linger, I could extend that list with a quickness :)

(And on that note; Ran Pink.
He's proven to be another guy that takes extreme pride in what he releases.)

All the best fellow Café dwellers.
[quote]On Apr 26, 2016, CThomas wrote:
Holy moly is Atlas's new book terrific. Kind of stunned that it hasn't been discussed in the last few days in this context. Hard to think of things that are any better. I just was blown away by it.

CT [/quote]

I've just seen this post - thanks and I'm pleased you liked it. I put a lot of effort into balancing philosophy and effects and am very pleased with the outcome. And thanks 252life as well - it is flattering to be ranked so highly on your list.

Best,

Atlas
Alain Nu has some great work available. If you can find a copy of his secrets and realities, there are some killer routines in there.
Although I haven't got these....I've heard phill smiths yokai,mokele,mitox and quinta are great....I'm sure someone knows about them on here and could fill you in. ..Also they are only £12 for each of them on phills site

Sleepy
[quote]On Mar 26, 2016, Ben Blau wrote:
Check out the brilliant work of Sean Waters. His material is fantastic, and I consider him to be the best writer in the genre. [/quote]

So Ben. It's hard to,tell - where a good starting point would be with Waters works?
[quote]On May 28, 2016, mtgoldstein wrote:
Check out the brilliant work of Sean Waters. His material is fantastic, and I consider him to be the best writer in the genre. [/quote]

So Ben. It's hard to,tell - where a good starting point would be with Waters works? [/quote]

You could always check out his contribution to [i]Switchcraft[/i], which is one of the best values around. It's a decent primer of his work, I believe.
"Tres" ;-)

-Vlad
[quote]On May 28, 2016, mtgoldstein wrote:

So Ben. It's hard to,tell - where a good starting point would be with Waters works? [/quote]

I have read "CANVAS" and "PONDERINGS: A COLLECTION OF MENTAL IDEAS"

Both wonderful works. I highly recommend them.

Best,
Ever
Switchcraft. Best $ you'll ever spend.
[quote]On May 30, 2016, Jerskin wrote:
Switchcraft. Best $ you'll ever spend. [/quote]

And you won't spend much...

Elliott is very generous offering his extensive work at such a low price.
I've had Switchcraft for so long I've not realized Waters contributions. I agree the best $ ever spent. I can't believe Mr Bressler can keep track of us all in his Continously updated supplements.
Bresler - sorry
ParaLies by Joshua Quinn
Thanks for the kind mention of my work, gentlemen. I am glad you enjoyed them.

And I agree with the comments about Switchcraft and ParaLies. Both are excellent works!!!

Best Regards,
[quote]On Feb 11, 2016, Ricky Atkinson wrote:
So many good suggestions in this topic, I'd some how missed Scryer and Friends (I've been "out of the game" for a few years). After that write up by MentalistCreationLab and Mr Redford's post (Who also shouldn't go unmentioned when talking about modern mentalism! His work is in among my favorites) I'm very eager to find a copy of this book! There is [b]ONE[/b] available close to me but I doubt I'll have the money together before it's gone :(. Maybe I'll get lucky. [/quote]

I agree that Patrick Redford is a great modern mentalist...however to simply call him a mentalist is not doing him justice....he is a theatrical mentalist. Simply calling him a mentalist is like calling Julia Child, Emeril and Gordon Ramsey a "cook"
I would have to say that "Applesauce" by Patrick Redford is one of the best....his thinking is beyond brilliant. Of course, anything by Kenton Knepper and Steve Shaw
Scryer's Black and White books. I believe they're now available in a combined edition.
Mind Myth and Magic is the best book hands down .. It's the New Testament of Mentalism .. 13 Steps is the Old.
Message: Posted by: Rainer - ParaLabs (Aug 14, 2016 03:03AM)
What does it mean "The best..."

You buy a book and the content makes you a millionaire?

Or does it mean that each routine provides you a orgasm?

I don't understand this question.

May be I'm a stupid potato eating German....but the superlative "best" is nothing than marketing!
I agree with Rainer. It would be helpful if OPs contained a definition of 'best'. It often seems to be the case that 'best' is highly subjective; what works for one may not work for others.
Just finished Paul brooks alchemist tools. Absolutely fantastic. Really enjoyed it and got a lot out of it.

Just about finished maximum entertainment by Ken Weber. Again, it was brilliant. Highly recommend both books.
If you're the kind of mentalist that enjoys the use of playing cards, two recommendations are at the top of my list. The first is another vote for "Applesauce" by Patrick Redford. It contains amazing effects, and I love performing them. The second book is "Asymptotes" by Ben Blau. His meticulous thinking behind each effect is refreshing, and the effects are hard hitting.

Oh, not sure if this counts, but anything by Barrie Richardson is also at the top of my list.

Cheers,
Craig
[quote]On Aug 14, 2016, Rainer - ParaLabs wrote:

May be I'm a stupid potato eating German....but the superlative "best" is nothing than marketing! [/quote]

I read "best" as being a personal reccomendation.
No one here is marketing imo, just sharing works they found/find above and beyond.
And because of that, I have a few books to check out that, otherwise, I may have missed.

Either way, good thread :)
I interpreted "best" as "favorite." With that out of the way, I had the pleasure of sampling some Applesauce prepared by the chef himself a couple of weeks ago. Patrick is indeed a genius and I was suitably schooled.

I haven't felt this well fooled in a long time. More than that, seeing these effects performed by Patrick was exceedingly entertaining and what he can achieve seemingly "off the cuff" surpasses many formal performances I've witnessed over the years. One of these days I'll have to read the book though I almost don't want to know the secrets of the miracles I witnessed.
I can really suggest "A piece of my mind" by Michael Murray. I have recently bought this book and I can definitely say that is is strong modern material. I consider it a more solid version of Peter Turner works which is another perform that I really admire. Indeed, I would also suggest his own material, not only for the effects, which don't suit everybody, but especially for the thinking process behind them.
OSTERLIND any thing from him
First of all, like Rainer I love potatoes.

Secondly, the best "modern" general introduction to mentalism can be found in "The Magic Digest" by George Anderson (circa 1978) and is available at Lybrary.com
Half of you who buy it will love me, half of you who buy it will love me even more.

d
[quote]On Dec 12, 2016, dmoses wrote:
First of all, like Rainer I love potatoes.

Secondly, the best "modern" general introduction to mentalism can be found in "The Magic Digest" by George Anderson (circa 1978) and is available at Lybrary.com
Half of you who buy it will love me, half of you who buy it will love me even more.

d [/quote]

This should help:

http://magicref.tripod.com/books/andersongeorgemagicdigest.htm

I'm in the love you even more category!
Backatcha Sean!

d
I believe that understanding the power of suggestion (verbal and non-verbal), is an important part of mentalism performance. One of the books I really like on that subject is: Monsters and Magical Sticks.
As a newbie, I've been getting a lot out of anything and everything I can read from Banachek.

"Secrets of The Amazing Kreskin" was my first book about mentalism and I think it's an excellent beginners book and I'm looking forward to re reading it when I have put more time in and have some experience. "Beginners" books are probably probably even better when one isn't just beginning.
I think Joshua Quinn is an excellent writer and I was truly inspired by his thinking in Paralies. I've had it for a few years and can re-read it endlessly. I have also recently picked up a job lot of Phill Smith's books and am slowly making my way through them. I enjoy his writing style, sense of humour and wonderful thinking. His work is in the same vein and I would also rate it as some of the best I've read but Paralies was the book that changed the way I approached mentalism.
[quote]As a newbie, I've been getting a lot out of anything and everything I can read from Banachek. [/quote]
x2. So many versatile principles in his volumes.
[quote]On Dec 14, 2016, January wrote:
[quote]As a newbie, I've been getting a lot out of anything and everything I can read from Banachek. [/quote]
x2. So many versatile principles in his volumes. [/quote]

Indeed. His "doodle" recently got me out of a jam with flying colours when I was beset with a chronic case of Murphy's law. Never had the necessity to use it until now - invaluable.
Dmoses, I love that book! I bought a beat up copy used off of Amazon. The real bonus is that a previous owner was apparently a magician. He had made notes and sketches in the margins and it just adds so much to the real value of Magic Digest.

I'd like to see a little more about why people think something is great. I'm too prone to buying new things and trying to tone that down a bit. I want my money to go further, if possible.

With that in mind, here are my top picks and what I think is of value for me in each.

For a beginner's book, if he is willing to invest a bit of effort, Magic Digest offers several tricks that I have not seen elsewhere. For example, dowsing to find the owners of items in pseudo-psychometry was a real lightbulb for me the first time I read it. This is not a treatise on the esoteric and unknown in mentalism, but there's real material that could be used for a real show, as well as material that works impromptu. Very well worth getting this one. (Also has some magic tricks I've not seen elsewhere, including an almost-too-simple coin through glass.)

For stimulating thought, Mind, Myth, and Magick is loaded with ideas that range from the bizarre to the mundane and most of it will result in thinking differently. Not for new folks, really, but there is a lot of gold in this book and I will never sell mine.

Bob Cassidy's Artful Mentalism 1 and 2 contain what amounts to full acts, as well as good material on how to be a performer. There are lots of reviews of these books and I can't say any has been hype.

-Patrick
Hey folls,

A bit off topic..

Bob Cassidy is apparently in the hospital.
Another Café thread has more info.
(I'm on line at the bank, sorry for not being more specific)

I'd like to see him flooded with well wishes, love and "good thoughts".
He deserves it.

Thanks
Back on topic (sort of), but keeping Bob Cassidy firmly in our thoughts, check out "For Bob Cassidy".

http://forbobcassidy.blogspot.co.uk/
https://www.mindfx.co.uk/pages/support-for-bob-cassidy/

There are some brilliant effects in the book from the likes of Peter Turner, Manos, Luca Volpe, Ben Cardall, RedDevil, Pablo Amira, Michael Murray, Marc Salem, Alain Nu, Jan Forster, Greg Arce, Stuart Palm and Ken Dyne. A lot of these guys have been mentioned in this thread as some of the best authors of modern day mentalism.
At £24/$30 it's a bloody bargain. But here's the best bit: all proceeds go directly to Bob to help him during this difficult time.

I have no connection with any of this but I think it is such a wonderful gesture on the part of the mentalism community (especially Pablo Amira, who I believe put it together) that it deserves all the support it can get.

Thanks.

p.s I have just checked my email and found that there have been additional contributions since I received the first edition and these have been emailed out to me for free. I'm feeling the love!
[quote]On Dec 15, 2016, Mobius wrote:
Back on topic (sort of), but keeping Bob Cassidy firmly in our thoughts, check out "For Bob Cassidy".

http://forbobcassidy.blogspot.co.uk/
https://www.mindfx.co.uk/pages/support-for-bob-cassidy/

There are some brilliant effects in the book from the likes of Peter Turner, Manos, Luca Volpe, Ben Cardall, RedDevil, Pablo Amira, Michael Murray, Marc Salem, Alain Nu, Jan Forster, Greg Arce, Stuart Palm and Ken Dyne. A lot of these guys have been mentioned in this thread as some of the best authors of modern day mentalism.
At £24/$30 it's a bloody bargain. But here's the best bit: all proceeds go directly to Bob to help him during this difficult time.

I have no connection with any of this but I think it is such a wonderful gesture on the part of the mentalism community (especially Pablo Amira, who I believe put it together) that it deserves all the support it can get.

Thanks.

p.s I have just checked my email and found that there have been additional contributions since I received the first edition and these have been emailed out to me for free. I'm feeling the love! [/quote]

Good stuff, thx
Are there not other threads on this?

I like many of those recommended but for something quite recent, might I draw attention to "Psychology for the Mentalist" by Andy Luttrell. I posted this on another thread as well. Apologies if this is duplication.
You're replying the last comment made on this thread that's two years old...
My apologies. Ran a search and this was the first one to come up.
Since the thread HAS been reopened...I have four books that I consider to be textbooks for the modern mentalist.

1) The Principals of Mentalism by Osterlind. Great pure thinking about mentalism and how modern audiences 'see' it and proven ways to present it. It's a little book. Read it four times.

2) The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy Volume 2. Brilliant. Practical...covers a TON of ground. Read it at least three times. I really miss him.

3) Mentalism Incorporated by Chuck Hickok. While the effects are good, what is VERY good is his thinking about how to put a show together...how to order it...why mentalism is so very different from magic. This book -- and it's ideas -- blew away the magic think I retained and taught me a whole new way to see how I was presenting my work.

4) Unreal by Bruce Bernstien. This is my university text. I am constantly challenged by the material and essays presented in this book. It constantly hurts my brain in a good way.

Honorable mentions have to go to Maximum Entertainment by Ken Weber, Psychological Subtlties by Banachek and Psychometry from A to Z by Webster.

When you've really studied these books, the works of Anneman and Corinda will make much more sense.

I hope this is helpful.

David
I'll add Scott Creasy's Minimalistic, Metaphysical, Mentalism to the fray. It's great and I use it parts of it a lot.
[quote]On Nov 11, 2018, David Thiel wrote:
Since the thread HAS been reopened...I have four books that I consider to be textbooks for the modern mentalist.

1) The Principals of Mentalism by Osterlind. Great pure thinking about mentalism and how modern audiences 'see' it and proven ways to present it. It's a little book. Read it four times.

2) The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy Volume 2. Brilliant. Practical...covers a TON of ground. Read it at least three times. I really miss him.

3) Mentalism Incorporated by Chuck Hickok. While the effects are good, what is VERY good is his thinking about how to put a show together...how to order it...why mentalism is so very different from magic. This book -- and it's ideas -- blew away the magic think I retained and taught me a whole new way to see how I was presenting my work.

4) Unreal by Bruce Bernstien. This is my university text. I am constantly challenged by the material and essays presented in this book. It constantly hurts my brain in a good way.

Honorable mentions have to go to Maximum Entertainment by Ken Weber, Psychological Subtlties by Banachek and Psychometry from A to Z by Webster.

When you've really studied these books, the works of Anneman and Corinda will make much more sense.

I hope this is helpful.

David [/quote]

Hey,

I don't know why, but this post is the one in the thread that resonated with me the most. I have taken a very, very long break from magic/mentalism and I had only started looking into mentalism when I stopped. I have a number of books I have read in the distant past that I intend to re-read as I start getting back into mentalism. Do you recommend I re-read the following before I read the above 4 books or those first? The books I am considering re-reading are:

Introduction to Mentalism - Browning (eBook)
Fundamentals by Cassidy (eBook)
Maximum Effect by Weber
Pure Effect by Brown
Absolute Magic by Brown
Alchemical Tools by Brook
Strong Magic 1 and 2 by Ortiz

I want re-start with a strong foundation in theory, character development, and effect presentationa. What do you think? Thanks for you help!

*Engali*
[quote]On Nov 14, 2018, Engali wrote:
The books I am considering re-reading are:

Introduction to Mentalism - Browning (eBook)
Fundamentals by Cassidy (eBook)
Maximum Effect by Weber
Pure Effect by Brown
Absolute Magic by Brown
Alchemical Tools by Brook
Strong Magic 1 and 2 by Ortiz

I want re-start with a strong foundation in theory, character development, and effect presentationa. What do you think? Thanks for you help!

*Engali* [/quote]

Based on your last statement, I'd recommend revisiting the Ortiz books (Strong Magic and Designing Miracles I'm guessing?) as a pretext for developing thoughts regarding theory and construction of effects.

Pure Effect and Alchemical Tools are more, in my opinion, places to develop your character (obviously, there is overlap, please don't use these generalizations as specifics). I'd read those a bit more carefully, with a focus on "who you want to be." For example, the section in AT discussing psychological approaches to cold reading techniques is very interesting if you are going to to take the psychological/influence angle.

First off though, to be completely clear, before you even finish reading this post, go through Maximum Effect. That will guide you into understanding what you want to do, how to plan it out, execute it, etc. While I've known my personal performance character for a long time, Maximum Effect offers great reminders (plus things I just straight up missed or couldn't appreciate until I had more experience) that feed back and forth into routine design, character development, and effect construction.

For me, I'd do ME, then reassess what I feel I need to work on based on that.

It's a hairy question for sure, with different areas of focus from technical effect design to character development to actual routining to actual performance nuances. Every thing you listed that I have read has a slightly different focus, even the 2 Ortiz books.

If you clearly understand where you want to complete your journey and where you are starting from, making a map becomes much easier.

Good luck!

-Lem
Hey Lem,

Thanks for the recommendations (and yes, I did mean Designing Miracles--been about 3 years since I picked it up).

Sounds like Maximum Entertainment is the place to pick back up.

*Engali*
Hi all, I'm looking for a good mentalism book that not only contains routines for stage/parlor but for close up as well. Any recommendations? Thank you~
"The Gift" by Paul Brook
The Gift is only appropriate if one is into pre show work. If so, then it's very good.

May be I'm a stupid potato eating German....but the superlative "best" is nothing than marketing! [/quote]
Is asking for BEST book very different from the "The Official "Book of the Year" thread ??? Is The Official "Book of the Year" superlative for you ? nothing more than marketing then ?

I'm just asking ?
Some super reads mentioned here...

My "3 foot shelf" is actually about 9' and this thread has prompted me to go grab a few for re-read lately!

Bryn
The entire Doug Dyment collection impressed me in a way I'll never forget. I have nearly all his books and some of his thinking and mental tools are unsurpassed (DAO Stack is my favorite). The Banachek collection is also among the best.

I don’t understand why it so difficult to behave and be polite. It should be easy to ask and be critical without this kind of language.
These are the volumes that I revisit frequently:

Any of Neal Scryer's works

Syzygy

All three volumes on binary methods released by Leo Boudreau

Annemann: Life and Times of a Legend

Larry Becker - "World of Super Mentalism 1 & 2" and his "Stunners PLUS!"

T.A. Waters - "Mind, Myth, and Magick"

Larry Becker deserves far more recognition in my opinion. His work is wonderful.
T.A. Waters - "Mind, Myth, and Magick"
[quote]On Jan 21, 2019, mindhunter wrote:
Some super reads mentioned here...

My "3 foot shelf" is actually about 9' and this thread has prompted me to go grab a few for re-read lately!

Bryn [/quote]

ok...with binders of print-outs of eBooks I was purchased or pgifted, DVD cases, and other stuff & things my "3 foot shelf" of research material is actually 127' 😳

Bryn
T.A. Waters - "Mind, Myth, and Magick" Great choice!
Anything and everything by Jack Kent Tillar.
Anything by Osterlind.
Safwan Papers.
Syzygy.
I highly, highly, recommend Minimalistic Metaphysical Mentalism by Scott Creasey.
I really enjoyed State of Mind by Matt Mello
Message: Posted by: Elizabeth Brookes (Mar 20, 2019 09:04AM)
Cloud Busting Secrets
Planes Mistaken For Stars
Given Flight By Demons Wings
Lunarcy
Garden Of The Strange

Unfortunately there's not much out there on Elemental Manipulation. Hopefully someday there will be a tome dedicated solely for that branch of magic.
[quote]On Mar 16, 2019, Ba Ba Booey wrote:
Anything and everything by Jack Kent Tillar.
Anything by Osterlind.
Safwan Papers.
Syzygy. [/quote]

Thanks for the mention of "Safwan," BaBa....

Bryn
Message: Posted by: scottvraneshfallin (Apr 9, 2019 02:45PM)
I love Larry Becker's work. "Stunner's Plus" is a goldmine of wonderful ideas.
Although marketed as bizarre magic, Pentalogy by R Shane is loaded with some modern mentalism gems. Hard copy is oop but it's available at Lybrary.com
"Theater of the Mind" by the late great Barrie Richardson, his first volume published by Hermetic Press in 1999.

Check out "Any Card, Any Number", its beautiful and I've performed this for twenty years and blown people away with it...Highly Recommended.
Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy Volume 2 I found really good.
[quote]On Apr 10, 2019, Paul Fitzgerald wrote:
"Theater of the Mind" by the late great Barrie Richardson, his first volume published by Hermetic Press in 1999.

Check out "Any Card, Any Number", its beautiful and I've performed this for twenty years and blown people away with it...Highly Recommended. [/quote]

Man, it really has been 20 years since Theater of the Mind? I remember when I saw that book and decided to pick it up. It was one of my first "mentalism" books, and it shaped a lot of how I approached mentalism for a long time. Still does, of course, but wow, what a book to start off mentalism with (I had done "magic" for quite a while prior to that).

I wanted to go ahead and add in Unreal by Bruce Bernstein. The benefit (and detriment to some) is something he discusses in the book about giving ideas and approaches but then building off of those. It's an interesting read with lots of great ideas.