(Close Window)
Topic: Duck magic
Does anyone know any duck illusions? I know the take apart box vanish to bucket, anything else. I've seen several performers produce many ducks form a cloth. I think Burton does it in his show. Also does anyone know where to get a nice take apart box.

taddo
There are many, such as "Where do the ducks go" which was quite an extraveganza for Fu Manchu. Okito did some duck magic. As far as standard duck magic, I do the following:

Duck Bucket
Duck Wringer with a flat duck
Duck Tear Apart Vanish
Tip over box production

Many of the asian magicians used duck body loads, which went with their outfits better than they would for most of us.
quack
I saw an Animal Magic special on Animal Planet and there was some great duck magic.

There was a magician (for the live of me I cannot remember his name, but it is the guy on Saved by the Bell that runs the lunch joint). He had an appearing duck from straight jacket type thing. Pretty neat.
Oh that was Ed Alonzo, he's got an awesome duck routine. I think the best routine is the where do the ducks go to duck bucket, you'll need two ducks, but its a nice routine and audiences seem to always like it.

sperris
Morressy Magic up in Canada makes Duck Pans, Other than that I don't know. I saw Jason Byrne do something really cool once. He drew a Duck on once of those white boards, then he whiped it off with a black silk and produced a duck from that. Check it out---> http://www.jasonbyrne.com
The Morressy pan wouldn't have a hope of holding a fair sized duck. The 'super' pan they make is a good size, but won't fool anyone. The only 2 pans to use for a duck are the Abbott's pan and the Owen pan.
[quote]
On 2004-03-11 11:58, Astinus wrote:
I saw an Animal Magic special on Animal Planet and there was some great duck magic.

There was a magician (for the live of me I cannot remember his name, but it is the guy on Saved by the Bell that runs the lunch joint). He had an appearing duck from straight jacket type thing. Pretty neat.

[/quote]

Ed Alonzo
[quote]
On 2004-03-13 01:03, WayneNZ wrote:

The only 2 pans to use for a duck are the
Abbotts pan and the Owen pan.
[/quote]

Rings 'N' Things also made a great Duck Pan, but it's rare.
I have seen a few pop up on eBay .
Recently KT Magic (Kenna Thompson) was selling one.
As of 5/19/04 it's still up on the KT Magic site.
Here's a photo:

http://www.ktmagic.com/images/rntduckpan2.jpg

http://www.ktmagic.com/exclusives.html

I had one back in the late 70's, but then sold it when I went to college because I wasn't doing magic at that time and needed the money.
Hi,

For those of you who do duck magic how do you travel with your ducks? I currently use doves which are kept in a large cat carry when travelling but was curious as to how you would travel with a duck.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Rich
Rich,

My wife Lucy (also on the Café) uses geese. She transports them in a large dog carrier. Doves we transport in cat carriers. (The live unicorn, takes more space!)

Enjoy!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Ducks are pretty easy to travel with, at least shows where you will be back home in the evening. I have a box, about twice as big as the duck, that he travels in. Like rabbits, they do not mind, even like, to be in dark places. When using ducks, I suggest the males. The females can, if they cut loose, let out a quack that would be heard a half mile away. The drakes have very soft voices...maybe not recognized as ducks by the average person.
quack
Magicduck,

Ducks are very easy traveling buddies. Once imprinted, at home they are sort of like dogs and just like to follow you around the yard and be with you. It doesn't have to be a special event, just hanging out together. They probably will enjoy standing in the lawn sprinkler better than you do. But humans dress funny anyway.

Enjoy!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Abbott's still makes a good duck pan that will hold a duck easily.
I cannot vouch for the quality since I have not seen it in person but there is a Duck Cabinet and Suitcase from Tora Magic. The description reads: "The magician displays a kind of cupboard from all sides to the spectators. He opens the front,side,and top doors of the cupboard in order that it can be shown quite empty. Now, the spectators are certain that there is nothing inside the cupboard. Upon one magical movement,the magician opens the top doors of the cupboard. Astonishingly,the spectators see a very nice duck has been appeared from it. But no body knows from where the duck has been appeared." Their website is

http://www.toramagic.net/htm/home.htm

Just another option.

Jimmy
In offering advice from an old guy, I would start by asking George at Chalet Magic what he has or can make for duck magic. I have used his equipment hard for many years (30+) and prefer it to Owens and others. Lucy and I have seven major pieces of his equipment in the show now. It really is pro stuff that can take it.

Bob
Magic By Sander
[quote]
On 2004-08-31 13:45, Bob Sanders wrote:
Magicduck,

Ducks are very easy traveling buddies. Once imprinted, at home they are sort of like dogs and just like to follow you around the yard and be with you. It doesn't have to be a special event, just hanging out together. They probably will enjoy standing in the lawn sprinkler better than you do. But humans dress funny anyway.

Enjoy!

Bob
Magic By Sander

[/quote]Hi,
Just a quick question on ducks.
I'm due to get 3 pekin ducks in the next few weeks, and I'm told that they are a year old. Do you know if they are still going to be young enough to train up for a magic act, or do they have to be a few weeks old so they can imprint?
Thanks,

sileeni.............................................
Here are a few more duck effects:

-Duck Cannon
-Duck Wringer

Michael Berends
"(The live unicorn, takes more space!)"

Have you still not taught it to fly Bob? hehe. I'm still waiting for the Europe tour!

Matt
Sileeni,

A duck that is a year old is much too old to imprint. At Disney someone in a Donald Duck costume is at the hatchery when the ducks hatch. However, it does not mean that they cannot be trained.

Frankly, I would rather have a trained animal than an imprinted one. An imprinted animal just recognizes you as a family member and will try to stay with you. A trained animal will perform on command. The audience is interested in the performance.

Matt,

Unicorns don't have wings. Pegasus has wings. Unicorn comes from the French. Pegasus is Greek.

Star Dancer, one of the unicorns cut her knee Sunday and will be out of work for a few weeks. With her cut knee she can't kneel and do her act. She will be fine when it heals. We have two unicorns for times like these. But Star Duster hasn't been to circus school yet. So she is just another pretty face and stage hog. She can appear and disappear. (She can make horse feed vanish too!) But she doesn't have an act of her own like big sister does.

Thanks for asking about the European Tour. Lucy and I still want to come in 2005. Mid February we have houseguests from France and Europe. Then we will also know more about when the books are available too.

Enjoy!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Does any one know where I can get some white call ducks?

They seam to be very hard to find these days.

thanks,
Mike
Hi All,

I just spent the last 2 months travelling across Canada with 5 dancers, 4 technicians, 3 guest magicians, one dog and two white call ducks. We did two sequences during our show that involved the ducks.

One was the opening of the second half of the show and is a fast paced routine invoving a duckpan, tear-apart vanish, crystal duck production and flip over duck to boa - ending with a Blammo Box production of my partner Teresa (wearing said boa). The second sequence involved a vanished, borrowed finger ring that reappeared on a ribbon around the neck of a duck that had been fired (via duck cannon) into a previously empty cage. After the ring was reunited with it's (happy) owner the duck was changed into the aforementioned dog.

I find that there is a somewhat limited amount of material for ducks (or dogs for that matter) and prices tend to be quite high because the props are basically small illusions. Just the props that we used in these two sequences are worth a combined total of about $10,000.00 USD.

Also beware - ducks, while cute and very personable, are smelly. They do require a fair bit of maintenance and cleaning to make it tolerable to travel with them.
From my experience with training animals, it's best to train adult animals that are easily motivated by food. Not starving them though...

Traveling with ducks... my ducks have been living in the bed of my pick-up truck for about a month now. I pull a trailer, therefor the bed is empty... they are in a kennel, near the back window where they will be out of the wind. They are so easy to travel with. The smell isn't an issue when the rain contstantly washes the debris away. Plus the weekly car wash helps.

Ed Alonzo has a killer routine with his straight jacket. I hope some day he puts it on the market, but please respect him by not steeling his routine (for those of you who have seen it). I'd suggest contacting him if you're that interested. http://www.edalonzo.com/

Dave