(Close Window)
Topic: Free and Great Magic Books!
There is a treasure trove of old time magicians books, prestidigitation manuals and card trick pamphlets on archive.org.
I found the following search term brought the most results.
[URL]https://archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A"Magic%20tricks"&and[]=mediatype%3A"texts"[/URL]
Why did this link get changed by the forum? I put it in url tags! Oh well, here is the full link. ..
[CODE]https://archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A"Magic%20tricks"&and[]=mediatype%3A"texts"[/CODE]
Or, go to [url]http://archive.org[/url] and choose to search texts, then magic tricks into the search form.
Though you might also try putting the word 'prestidigitation' in place of 'magic tricks' which finds some more, if I remember correctly.
I'm loving having Blackstone's and other old books and learning from them. Some wonderful writings, and tricks!
Have a look and check them out. Downloads are in many formats!
Fantastic assortment of old/rare magic manuscripts, many of which are very hard to find now...
Exactly, Tesla II, I am amazed at the sheer variety to be found there. Today I found a book called '50 years in the Magic circle - Senor Blitz' which looks to be a very interesting autobiographical work by a working conjurer of days gone by. The stories he gained on worldly travels as well as at his homeland in the USA.
For me, these kind of books are the holy grail. Well, along with all of those tutorial books on the art of magic!
I don't care much for modern magic writings. . There's a massive lack of the element of humility today, and it is refreshing to read writings by those who understood the mere concept of humility!
Thanks! I've just started my vacations and this is will be very useful.
I found a couple decent thimble books that seem harder to come by these days. Also there is a decent scan of "Our Magic" (One of the "must reads" IMO for any magician).
[quote]On Dec 23, 2016, Poof-Daddy wrote:
I found a couple decent thimble books that seem harder to come by these days. Also there is a decent scan of "Our Magic" (One of the "must reads" IMO for any magician). [/quote]

Hi Poof-Daddy, do you mean the Maskelyne-book? Thanks, Luc.
Yes
I'm astonished at the sheer number of different texts! I've been downloading them and have quite a collection to keep me in reading material way beyond my lifespan. :)
Can still only read one book at a time though. It's lovely thing to sit and read something like:
THE
HISTORY OF MAGIC
INCLUDING A CLEAR AND PRECISE EXPOSITION OF ITS PROCEDURE, ITS RITES AND ITS MYSTERIES
BY ÉLIPHAS lÉVI (ALPHONSE LOUIS CONSTANT)!
:)
I made sure to get Our Magic, thanks for the recommendation poof, it's quite an unusual magic book.
Oh my yes. I've gotten several books from archive.org. Annemann, Hoffmann, Downs, and other classics. Definitely worth poking around a bit on there.