(Close Window)
Topic: first trick you learned
I'd be interested in knowing the first trick you learned. Do you still use it and how did it affect your interest in magic?

Thanks,

Brian
It had to be a card trick, a pick a card varitey, I don't remember which.
my first magic props were a fan-ta-stic, and a rope to silk. I got both of them at the Magic Townhouse in NYC. I still remember the place as if it was yesterday, and still have the props, the fan-ta-stick had a run in with some flash paper and grape juice, and the silk is thread bare. I still do the hot rod (fan-ta-stic) and may make or get a new rope to silk, don't know.
I liked both when I was :baby2:
Hi, Brian!

I think the first trick I got was in a magic set... the rice bowls... a little plastic set. Also came with some linking rings. I don't use either now since I prefer close-up and both those are more suited for parlor or stage. However, in the early 80's (I think) I did do a pretty mean McAbee Rings, a good closeup linking ring routine. :nose:
The first trick I learned was a double reverse. I do not know who came up with this handling, a friend showed it to me. I still perform this trick at least weekly. Maybe it's because of my experience with it, but it is one of my tricks that gets the biggest reaction from lay persons. :bikes:
The first effect I ever learned was the "TT Disappearing Silk", and yes, I still use it today. It really hooked me on magic... it looked SO real. I learned it in practically no time flat (I have since improved my technique) :) and enjoyed the responses it got. The rest, as they say, is history. :)
The first trick I ever learned was using a change bag. I can't remember what I was changing, and it was pretty simple stuff, but very effective! I think when you are learning it is better to work with a couple of tricks that are pretty, well, self working, so you can concentrate on your part - the presentation! It is only magic if you do it magically!
Cheers
Kaz :magicrabbit:
The ball and vase was what started it all for me, about 55 years ago!
And I still have that original ball and vase, although I don't use it.
The interesting thing is that it is made exactly the same today, except that the ball in the original was wood and it is plastic today.
Fascinating (well, it is to me!) :lol:
cheers,
Peter Marucci
I am not totally sure, but I believe that it was the vanishing water trick. A vase, pour some water in and dump it out, pour some more water in and then cover the hole on the side and no water will come out, claim it disappeared!

First card trick I ever did was a pick a card trick with a series of riffle shuffles to keep the card on top.
Color Monte!

I got so blown away by it, that I just had to have it... and that started me down this road to ruin of owning every packet trick made in the 80's :arg:

I wore my original out, (I still have it though, It was on Aviater bridge size cards and the metallic red and blue rubbed off form so much use.) and I just picked up a brand new one on Biclcle cards.

BroDavid
I had three tricks to start and I don’t remember which was the first I actually learned to perform. Honestly, I learned them as a unit or act and performed them on a platform from the very start!

I had to spend several summers with my uncle because both my parents had to work and they could not afford “child care” for four kids. Each of us kids got to spend the summer months with relatives. I was lucky; I got to travel with my father’s brother. He was a Carney. That is, he made his living traveling with various carnivals in the southwest and south of the USA. He ran a flat show (gambling joint).

Two weeks into my first summer, the ten-in-one operator lost a couple of acts. He needed to fill the spots. He and my uncle decided that I should become “the worlds youngest Professional magician!” I was 12 almost 13 and very small and slight for my age. I also looked younger. Just based on size they called me 8 years old! Hey, I could have passed for seven!

The ten-in-one operator gave me an Egg-Bag, a Die-Box, and a spool of rope. He taught me a routine for each and then spent several days drilling me on presentation and performance of my spot/act. Three days later I was on stage and earning money as a magician. I got critiqued after each set by all the performers. I got competent fast!

The act consisted of a fairly good Egg-Bag routine with a lemon production finish, a standard die box routine, and a cut and restored rope.

There were two other effects I was trained to do. The first was a Broom Suspension that was my bit to perform "out front", to help gather a crowd. I would use one of the female performers or a girl from the “Kooch” show (owned and operated by the same guy).

I also performed the “Blade-Box” as a blow-off to make a little extra money inside. Again, some poor girl was drafted to be my assistant. My boyish prank was to reach into the box and pull off her costume after I had sectioned her with the blades.

The broom suspension and the blade box belonged to the ten and one operator and apparently had been abandoned by a previous magician who tended to drink a bit and just wandered off one night and never came back.

The egg-bag was a heavy, red, wool flannel affair. It may have been home made and I still have it. It has a few spots on it that the cleaner couldn’t get out but is as functional as the day I got it. It was not new when I got it.

The die box was a rather primitive affair. It did not have a sound gimmick (noise maker) or any fake door panel to show the die present in a compartment. It was small, The die being 2.5 inches cube, and the box itself only 6.5 inches by 3.25 inches (front to back) by 3.5 inches deep (top to bottom). The shell was made from steel! It was painted red and I still have it and still use it from time to time

In the early 70’s discovered that the Rubik’s cube was the same size as the die. So I bought two Cubes, painted the shell glossy black, peeled the square colored squares from one Cube and stuck them on the shell. Viola! Rubik’s Cube box! I added new brass hinges to the box at that time. The old hinges were painted and looked horrible!

I still have the original die.

I added to my repertory over the summer and over the next few years. But that was my first magic.

I have tried to attach a photo of those props (OK, I don't know what I am doing and the photo is poor, but I tried!). The Egg Bag (with the original wooden egg, new paint, and I tossed in a lemon for color contrast), The Die Box with original die, and I added a hank of magicians rope. That friends is all I had for my platform act.
The Chinese sticks, and the penetration frame! They are both still great tricks too!

P.
I started off with the card warp! :bikes:
The TT was the first magic apparatus I bought. I had limitless fun making silks disappear, and putting out cigarettes in my shirt! My first card trick I learned well enough to actually SHOW off with was Twisting the Aces.
My VERY first tricks were learned from library books on magic. I just picked out easy things I thought I could do: the mummy finger, paper-tube hole in hand (really an optical illusion), coin into elbow.

I saw a kid at school do the ball in vase for show-and-tell. He had gotten it from a cereal box, but I was fascinated and jealous (just like I am fascinated and jealous of you guys today!)

My first purchased magic effects were in an Abbott's Magic Kit ordered as a Christmas present from the Sears Catalogue. It had a card trick with a DF and DB (maybe that's called "double-reverse"?). It had a coin to nested boxes effect. It had a coin through rubber-sheet effect.

I think it might have come with my much longed-for ball-and-vase. It definitely had a cheap plastic coin plate. It also had the rice bowl effect, though it frustrated me because I knew it couldn't be performed close up. Soon after, I learned to love parlor size effects, but at first I didn't trust them!

My favorite, I think, from that first magic set was a water suspension in a pop bottle. I loved it, that a pencil or pen could be pushed through the bottle neck to show there was no obstruction while the water still hung there mysteriously and also that any bottle could be used!

Wow. Now that's magic.

alan
I can't remember which trick I first learn but what I remember is it was from a magic trick set named "Hocus Pocus", if my memory is good...;)

Earl
Unfortunately I can not remember what was it. Most probably it was a card trick. Because there were no magic shops in Turkey during my childhood. In fact now there are only two of them!!! So buying a TT was a dream. I could not buy a vanishing cane for the first three years of my proffession. They were hard days for me. now thanks to internet things are soooo muuuucccchh easier. I am telling these in order that you may understand the value of communication of today. Cheers.
:magicrabbit: :bunny2: :magicrabbit:
My first trick(s) were the Ball and Vase and the Pencil through glass. They were made by Adams. I still have them, but they aren't included in my act! I have opted for a little more sleight of hand. Once I saw the first trick, it was instant magic!!
My first tricks were from a magic box of SILVAN. I don't remember but I think it was a packet card trick.
Masimax
MY very first trick to learn was the French drop taught to me by my Father. He also taught me to use the side slip to make a card vanish. Then he also gave me my first trick deck, an Aviator stripper deck and taught me how to find the chosen card with it.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
I, too, learned the French Drop first. Then I mastered the 'Pull your finger off' trick. I use the French Drop in shows when a vanish is needed and I am always 'pulling off my fingers' to little kids when they look at me cross. It gets almost as good of a reaction as the other stuff I do that took so much longer to practice.
-Casey
The first trick I ever learned was, "Hey Troy... pull my finger!"

You think I'm kidding don't you?

Seriously, my first tricks I leaned were the ball and vase, and a coin box. I actually did some sleight of hand with the ball too. I was six years old then...

My first magic set was the Marshall Brodien TV Magic Set.

No, I don't perform them anymore. I am still in therapy over the 'pull my finger' thing, and every once in awhile, my eye will twitch.

Oh what memories!
- - Troy
Hmm, well the first few tricks I learned were Cup & Balls, Hotrod, and some trick decks. Although the first trick I really learned as a kid is the one where you take 21 cards, lay them in 3 rows of seven, and get the spec to point to the row their card is in. After the third time, their card is in the middle of that row. Say anyone know what this trick is called?
First trick I learned was the poor/crazymans handcuffs. I was sitting in a hotel room for state competition in HOSA (Health Occupation Student of America) with 5 other guys.

One of the guys turned out to be a magician (and he happened to live in my town) and he did a number of tricks (Sponge balls, strangers gallery, color changing knives are a few I remember). Then he did poormans handcuffs and I was stunned that he could fool me so many times with 2 rubberbands! He knew I was genuinely interested so he showed me the trick. I spent the rest of the trip practicing. heh.

And that as they say, is that. Sorry for such a long post, but it's a wonderful topic :bg:
I recieved an Adams set very young. It contained a Finger Chopper. I LOVED that trick. The mechanism fascinated me (I'm a serious engineering type). It drove my mom nuts because I kept swiping her cigarettes to chop (and I sharpened the blade so it would chop cleaner!).
The first coin trick was scotch and soda... Now here is the humdinger. The first card trick I learned was title bout (Martin A. Nash) Yeah strange place to start HUH. It has a lot of moves and a real big kick ending. Now here is the boot to the head, the guys to help me with it was Steve Mayhew & Steve Dobson, two of the best card workers there are. Quick note if you don't know Steve Dobson check your "Sam the Bell Hop" tape, Bill learned his opening from Steve.
The "Steve's" are as magic as magic comes. And some how I meet them and became friends with them in the first months of me doing magic. Good start HUH? :dance:
I was eight or ten when I learned the cut and restore string trick.

Dolini :patty:
My first trick was 'Out To Lunch', which I bought whilst at school from a very dark, mysterious shop in Liverpool called 'The Wizards's Den'.
This was followed by a shell penny and a trick I thought was wonderful - a way to make a coin disappear from under a glass (which had to be on a white tablecloth!).
Soon I found a weekly Magic Magazine called 'ABRA', and remained hooked until now.
My first book was Tarbell 1, followed by Routined Manipulation when it was first published.
The first two tricks (as far as I remember) are the Wizard Card-Phone trick and a 4 ace trick shown on Mark Wilson's T.V.Show. It is called by a lot of people Dr. Daleys Last Trick, but I think people may be
misnaming it. It is the one where the 2 black aces trade places with the 2 red aces. I still use it occasionally today.

Harris :bikes:
I remember my first trick being the TT. It came in it's own special box, as did all the rest of that particular series of tricks. They were all really cool at the time, I had the lot by the time I was eight!

The first 'real' illusion I bought was the Zombie Floating Ball when I was about eleven. I imagined myself 'floating' this huge silver ball around, under my command at all times. When I actually bought the prop I recalled the 'items' going in to the brown paper bag; "Ball, two halves, pedestal, yes, fine, fine. that's it then?" I asked Paul Clive. “Oh, no” he said. “You’ll be needing this as well…” Imagine my complete shock when I found out that this fantastic gleaming ball would not be able to 'float' much farther than my arm. Man, did my fingers ache!

Frank. :idea:
The first trick that I bought was the Color Monte. when I first performed it I recieved a huge response from many of the people That I did it for. I loved the reaction from the crowd and wanted more.
My first tricks were part of a cheapo magic set. The first one I did for my parents was the finger guillotine. Then I moved on to the ball and vase and C&R rope.
Still doing C&R rope and have taught my kids the "pull my finger"!

My son has recently become interested in magic and I got him Mark Wilson's "Complete course in magic". The first trick he showed me was a: Pick-a-card and it ends up as the only reversed card in the deck. I'm helping him with his presentation and getting him some more tricks for his birthday next month. (Of course I'll have to 'test' them first!) :shucks:

- Britt :carrot: :banana:
My first was a "ring and string" routine with a Lifesaver and a piece of string. The idea was to break the Lifesaver, and "stick" it back together by moistening it.

My first magic "lesson" was when I learned that the same Lifesaver shouldn't be pre-set the night before. :fruity:

The "crack" sound that it made was heard clear to the back of the room. (School show, first grade)

:kidding:
My first trick was a card trick, "The Three Burglers", found in a library book. I think the book was "Fun with Magic" by Joseph Lemming or Leeming. The entire book was fantastic and I still do this trick today for any youngster that wants to learn a magic trick. :pepsi:
My first was when my Uncle David used to make a coin disappear and pull it out my ear. I could still swear to this day that I felt it in my ear before he ever pulled it out! :huh: My Mom used to vanish a coin into the microwave. I freaked out when they finally explained to me how they'd been doing it. :no:
My first trick I ever learned was the one where you pull your thumb apart in half. My dad showed it to me, it used to scare me when I was a kid.
My first trick was the Chameleon Spot. I showed it to my brother and dad. They asked me to show it to them several times. They were so frustrated with not knowing how it works that they resorted to tickle torturing me, trying to get the secret. :whatthe:
At that moment I was hooked. As the youngest in my family I hadn't experienced such power before.
I think my first one was ~25 years ago. It was either an Imp bottle or a cheapo rice bowl (both came in a magic set I got for my birthday) ;)
First trick? Making a coin vanish with the French Drop. Still use it all the time.
My first trick was a routine for sponge balls.

Hope I answered your question.
Lance R. Wilson
The first trick i learnd was ambitious card, a very poor version mind you, but I definatly still practice it, and its one of my favorites :bluebikes:
The first thing I learned in Magic was a French drop also.. :blush:
Well, it was probably the trick where a card is selected, replaced, the re-appears face up in the deck. You all know this one!

Surprisingly, I STILL use it today every so often. You might wonder how on earth I can get away with it when every one over the age of 10 knows this one? The key is on how I've twisted the presentation on this one. If any of the regulars here want to know my presentation for this oldie, feel free to PM me.

My next trick was probably a card trick where four jacks are put into a deck (four robbers rob a bank) and are chased by the police. They then appear at the top of the deck to escape in their awaiting helicopter.

The french drop was learnt early on, well not really, I had mis-read how to do it and wondered why it never looked right (that taught me a lesson!) Hint for the beginner: You should be able to do it with quite large objects (a pool ball is about my limit, but I am sure there are some out there that can french drop a melon :) ) and not get caught. Its good to practice it with things other than coins.

Anyway enough rambling..

Regards,

Kris Sheglova
The first trick I learned was a common pickpocket routine finale. My father took me to see Harry Blackstone, JR. when I was about 8 yrs old, and the climax to his pickpocket routine was to yank the dress shirt off the back of one of his audience volunteers as he escorted the fellow off stage.

After much Socratic discussion between my father and me, we decided that the audience volunteer must have been in on the secret and we proceeded to reconstruct how that could be done without a specially built shirt. My father was a Minister and rarely without shirt and jacket, so at the next family gathering I performed the only trick I knew...

That debut was not much for structure and lacked any semblance of theatre, but afterwards the hook was definitely set.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
The first trick I learned was coin falling up (muscle pass)...
First trick was a stripped/marked deck bought at the Magic Shop on Main Street in Disneyland, along with a two headed quarter. About 35 years ago. I still have the deck, and I've taught my 6 year old daughter to do the 'pick a card' and she still fools her mother.

:bikes:
my first trick was changing a dollar bil into a 5 with a TT

greetins niels
I found my dad's old stripper deck about 5 years ago and have doing magic every since. Sometimes I will use it for a kid or coorporate show but not that often.
- Evan
The first trick i learned was mismade bill AKA quadraflex.... i still use it.
I started out at age 8 with a magic kit for kids. I don't remember the name of the kit, but it contained a lot of small effects that worked without a lot of sleight of hand. I can't specifically remember many of them, but I do remember that it didn't focus very much on card tricks, and I've never really been interested in them as much as other types of magic. I suppose, then, that it did have a lasting effect on my preferences and the styles I like.
The Jiffy Coin Trick from Adams.

Still a great effect and a bargain!

Jeff
My Uncle John was a magician in the late vaudeville era.

JOHN broke the MAGICIAN'S CODE OF ETHICS !!!

He taught a LAYMAN (me) the Downs Palm at
age 6!

Of course, I really didn't know the name (or for that matter) even that this move HAD a name until my early sixties when my interest in magic was rekindled enough to do the reading.

All I knew is that I was the only kid on the block who could vanish a quarter.

:magicrabbit:
My first trick was the classic Rubber Pencil. I learned it when I was 5, and fooled absolutely no one.

But I guess that qualifies as an optical illusion, rather than a trick.

After that, I can't remember what the first trick I learned was, but I think I know where it would have come from. In the mid-70s there was a TV offer for a set called "Hat Full of Magic", and after some begging, I was able to convince my parents to get it for me. (I'm not sure if Hat Full of Magic is still on the market or not.) Something in there must have been my first trick, but I can't for the life of me remember what was in the set. All I remember is the hat -- a big hard plastic top hat that wasn't shaped like any human head, so it was impossible to wear (and darnit, I wanted to wear it!).

My first "grown-up" trick was a junior Cups and Balls set that I purchased at the magic shop in Disney World.
My first trick was the hot rod. I still carry it and pull it out occasionally. That's also the first trick I taught my kids to do. Extremely simple (my 8-year old is very facile with it), yet effective.
The Hunter knot. Tying a rope into a knot without (!) letting go of either end.
When I was a kid, an older cousin from New Orleans taught me to do two coin tricks.
One was throwing a coin out the window, via the thumb palm. And reproducing it from behind a spectator's ear.
The other one was causing a dime, placed on the palm of the right hand, at the base of the index finger, to appear in the left hand, after both palm up hands were simultaneously turned inward at the wrists and closed.
I still do them sometimes.

Steve
I at first thought that I got started much later, but something in this section sparked an old memory. I now remember what my first trick was. I believe it is called "the egg cup". It is the trick where you have a small egg shaped cup with a lid that sits on a stemmed base, and you make the egg inside appear or diasppear at will. I believe my father Taught this to me in 1959 when I was 4 years old. I was the happiest kid in the world, and I still feel this way when I get a new trick.
Steve
zzz
The first trick I learned was where a deck of cards was shuffled and spread out on the table. You would then ask a spectator to pick the 'Three of Clubs' and slide it to you without looking. Take the card and claim it to be correct. Get another spectator to slide yout he 'Queen of Hearts' etc. At the end you would pick another card yourself.
Then show all the cards to be the correct ones.
I was 12 at the time and this seemed completely impossible.
The trick was shown to me by a camp leader at summercamp.
Ever since I have been interrested in Magic.
The rest as they say is history...

Steve
PS : For those that wonder, it's based on the one ahead principle :)
I think the first trick I learned was the cups and balls. I really liked it because a friend had shown me some tricks with gaffed cards and I didn't go much on the idea of having tricks that worked by themselves because of fake props.

The great thing about cups and balls is that a minimal amount of skill is required to get something which can fool people using straightforward props.

However, I now well appreciate the usefulness of gaffed props and I'm currently (20 years on) looking at buying a decent Chop Cup!
Would you believe that the first trick I learned was a one handed riffle shuffle to do a perfect faro? No.... I didn't think so.
The first trick was the broken and restored tooth pick in a handkerchief. The one with the duplicate in the hem. I remember it vividly. A bellhop at a hotel my family was staying at showed it to me. I was absolutely stunned, and then he taught me how to do it. I was 5 years old at the time.
A few weeks later I got a "Mysto" magic set for Christmas. It had a tiny multiplying ball set with wooden balls about 3/4" or 7/8" in diameter and a metal shell. I struggled to pivot the ball out of the shell and learned then and there that this stuff takes work!
Dennis Loomis
http://www.dennisloomis.com/dai.html
Svengalli Deck.. I don't have the origional one.. I passed it along to another dreaming magician.. and yes I still use one from time to time.

I was 6, and it was included in a magic kit I got for my birthday along with ball and vase, a bill printer, paddle trick and some other various classics.. unfortunatly I never had the vision to save any of it.
French drop coin sleight. First trick I ever learned in grade 4. When my friends ask to borrow my eraser, I do the sleight technique and they keep getting baffled on how I do it.
lol.
Thinking back, I would have to say the first trick I had was one of those magic sets you get when you're a kid--the one with the sponge balls and the wand with the rose that comes out of the top. I think the multiplying bunny rabbits was the trick I used the most back then.
My first magic trick was the vase and rope trick. I think I got it out of a cereal box. And, no, I do not have it any more.
Silk vanish
When I was a cub scout, I learned how to make a pencil look like rubber. I must admit, that I didn't learn how to do it right until I was an adult. I still use it as a gag whenever I borrow a pencil from a spectator.
The first trick I learned was the Hindu shuffle. I still use it a lot when I am fooling around with cards.
It was probably something out of Scarne's book, [i]Scarne on Card Tricks[/i]. I think it was "Do as I Do."
I first learned the Color Changing Stick with the faux jewels on them. The T.T. came next and it opened up a whole world of amazement and creativity for me. Eventually I got to show effects to magicians who had no idea I was using the gimmick. I don't use it much anymore, but man did I.... :angry:
I think it was one of those stupid sets they sell for kids. It was a little hollow chip and a full one which would mingle into one when closing the palm. :wavey:
I learned "The Whispering Queen" from my father when I was about 10, I think.
Before I joined the "Mad Hatter Magic Club," where I purchased tricks such as gozinta coins, finger chopper and other secrets, I used to make numerous trips to the toy shop with my mum who would be devilishly persuaded by me into getting me every item on the shelf from the Paul Daniels' range of magic tricks. If I recall, the first one was the coin slide (turn it around and make it vanish and reappear, etc.), then it was cups and balls, linking rings, penetration frame and others. These were all plastic and, in my young opinion, very unprofessional-like.

My first "real" magic item was "blendo bag" and then a set of shackles. These items and more have held up to tremendous use and are still well kept and sometimes in use today (some 20 years since). I loved them then and I love them today.
Cups and Balls, 2nd grade ;)

-JMagi
I remember having, as a child, a few small tricks like "Swords through a coin" as well as a number of card trick packs by Paul Daniels (well known British TV magician of the 1980s).
As an aside, I remember being allowed to watch the Paul Daniels Magic show on TV with my parents, but being hustled out of the room when a particularly scary big box illusion was about to begin. (Can still picture what the equipment looked like to this day - tall box on floor, open at front and back to show a dozen daggers going across it from left to right one above the other. This must be 20 years ago !)

AU :dance:
Cups and balls, the el'cheapo version for a measly 3 bucks. That was a big chunk out of my high school budget. The other 7 dollars went for the babes...so, I usually bought another cheap effect.
Ball & Vase, Cups and Balls, and Sponge Balls are routines I learned when I first learned magic. It is strange that I no longer perform them. I study card magic now.
The first magic book I read was spooky tricks and the first trick was glass thru table or whatever it was called in that book.
Great Book! (as I remember!)
The first tricks I learned were from a Houdini Magic set at the age of 6. Ball & Vase, Cups and Balls, the optical boomerang trick, and a color changing paddle.

The first trick I learned in a magic shop...The Hot Rod. I still carry one everywhere I go today, because I get the same reaction from people that I had when I first saw it: :wow:
I beleive it was a sponge tricks purchased from Disneyland. While it did start a lifelong interest in magic, there were lapses in time where I strayed away only to later be reminded again about how fun it is.
My first was the rubber band going from 1st/2nd to 3rd/4th fingers. The first gimmick I bought was a box that made small objects disappear and reappear.
Hmmm, I'm in magic About six months and my first tricks was with DL .. And "little Magic box" like ActuariaLug said ...
My first trick I learned as a kid, before I got into magic. It involved putting a ring on the thumb, and then putting my thumb with the ring on it under my armpit. Then I'd pause, pull out my thumb to show the ring was no longer on my thumb, and produce the ring from someone's ear.

Gene
The first trick I learned as a kid was was the one where you make it look like you are removing half of your thumb.
Message: Posted by: Edmund_Fitzgerald (Nov 28, 2004 06:37PM)
First trick I learned, many years ago, was to use a Svengali deck to transform the deck. I am not sure what I learned but it piqued my curiosity in magic. Later, the first trick I learned without a gimick was Presto Prediction from one of Bob Longe's books. That taught me that there is such thing as magic without gimicks, which was a big step forward.
It was the cups and balls for me but it was made out of paper cups and cotten balls.LOL
My first trick was a coin tray in a magic set I had been given. I was pretty young, and my parents seemed so amazed when I would multiply their change. It was yellow and made from plastic.
Ball and Vase.
The little plastic nails through coin trick my mom got me from the wondrous Disneyland Magic Shop in the Castle when I was like 6.
The first trick I learned was the old classic...
I had friends who had done magic and I got interested.
During my trip to Las Vegas, I went to a magic shop and asked what a beginner should start with and they gave me John Hamman's DVD set. And the DVD taught like nothing. I didn't understand how to do double lifts and I thought Hamman had magic fingers that always knew how to take two cards. A pretty bad start in my opinion.
Don't remember the age... 8 years old?
Anyhow, first "trick" was from a magic set... the one with that red egg holder and the yellow ball that disappeared as you put on or remove the lid.

First magic trick would probably be the 21 card one I think.

First "sleight-of-hand" trick I think was that simple reverse card one (having the participant insert the card back into the deck in the middle... you know that one).
Mystic Mummy (a sawing a mummy in half pocket trick), German Magic coins (litle cap and some palming coins, coin in matchbox.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
Sam the Bellhop.

just kidding, I think the first trick (sleight)i learned, and used on people, was a riffle force. that and a colour changing stick
Ok you have 21 cards and you deal them out in 3 rows...........you all know this one. But it fooled me the first time and that is what got me rolling. I don't use this one anymore since just about everybody lay people included know this one, but if nobody has seen it, it can be a real fooler.
My first trick was the same as the one mentioned above by Phil Thomas. However, the reveal that I use is a magician's force (I think that is what it's called) where the spectator is "forced" to select their card through a process of elimination. This trick still gets great reactions from lay people... although I'm sure a magician wouldn't be too impressed.
Sure, rubbing a coin into my arm, never to return. Used a borrowed coin and kept it. Never one beef.
Still do it? You bet. Gotta quarter? I'll show you something neat with it.
The first trick I learned was twisting the aces. I still use it.
The first trick I every saw and learned was the old pull your thumb off trick.

Brian Cooper
My first trick was The Three Card Monte , I learned it by watching a drunk guy winning lots of money in a narrow dodgy street. I was 16 y/o and never learned anything else until I was 20 when I learned to make a cig vanish, then again never learned anything else until four years later which was last year when I get seriously involved buying books , videos etc and now I am improving by the day and practising all the time.

Zac
:) First trick was actually a routine I made myself at age 5, where I'd hold up a quilt and tell everyone I was going to dissapear by the time it dropped. Being 5 years old and having the stamina of a cheetah, I'd drop it and ninja-roll behind the back of a nearby couch without being seen. And since it was performed for other 5years olds, I got some wicked-awesome reactions :D

After that it was a Blackstone magic kit in the late 80's.
My first trick was "Nickles to Dimes", bought in Miami....

Magixx
The first trick I ever learned was cups and balls. I think I must have been around 10 and did it for my boyscout troop! :D
My first trick was the classic TT vaniching silk it was realy amazing and it look like real magic am still doing it and I always cary a TT with me everywhere.
Ahhh for me it was the 21 card trick- anyone want me to perform it? :)

Matt Tomasko
For me it was taking off half my thumb and this old fingertrap toy that I had and still wish I had :(
I can also remember getting a really old library book out and learning the glide and also a false cut that was, I found out 20 or so years later a version of Nate Leipzigs swivel cut. They were the only 2 sleights in the book and I don't remember any of the tricks in them.
What I always find strange is that I haven't seen this cut in any of the magic literiture since, maybe I should still use it and see if I can get away with it. Or maybe not.

Great topic too
My first trick was finding a chosen card using a Enardoe marked, stripper deck. It wasn't easy for my 6 year old hands to grasp the deck but my mind grasped the idea of doing magic and it has never let go.
Steve
My first trick was nickles to dimes and I loved it soo much. I would take my teachers money and then pull out the gimmick and keep her nickles.
The Impossible Knot. I found it in a book about Houdini.
First trick- 21 card trick
first trick as a magician- pick a card, find a card (stripper style)
Some kind of little plastic tube with beads that chaged colour - don't know what it's called.

My first decent trick I learnt as a child was 'do as I do' - an amazing effect, learnt it from the Paul Daniels magic Annual!
I belive that your thinking of a Hotrod.
Rising Card Deck from Disney. Been into magic ever since.
It was either the Do as I do card trick with two decks or the "elevator" card trick.
Cups and Balls
Balducci levi.. Learned it form a friend.. don't use it as much cause I'm into cards now. But when I did I had specs thinking I was posesed.. pre-blaine era..
Svengali deck and TT for the vanishing silk. I loved those two tricks when I first got them!
21 cards in three rows. Don´t know the name of this trick. I rarely use it.
The 1st trick I ever saw, I bought from a pitchman at a county fair in 1945 - the magic mouse (made of clay then). Subsequently went back and bought more when I found I could do the mouse. He sold me Buddha papers, some paddle tricks, but I avoided (what later I discovered was a Svengali deck) as appearing to be difficult sleight of hand (at least to a 9 year old). I have learned to perform - and pitch - the Svengali deck since then. Keith
I don't know it's name but it was shown to me at age 8 by a camp consulor. You run through the deck, saying "tell me when to stop." They say stop and you stop, immediatley telling them what card it is. No trick deck, just a simple move. Still do it for fun every once in a while, even though it isn't that great. The cool part is someone can go into another room and anounce the card instead, which can really blow peoples minds.
Last night was the first time I've shown a trick to anyone who isn't a mirror.

it was topsy turvy cards from rrtcm :)

cole. x
Scotch -N- Soda, was my first trick and investment in magic.
Nickles to dimes and the stripper deck were my first tricks.
At age 8, I created the first magic trick I ever learned.

I took a half full bottle of Pepto Bismol, wrapped it up with a bathroom towel, turned it over and over again as I said every magic word I had ever heard, took the towel away from the bottle, and the bottle appeared to be full. :)
Pick a card, any card :P, put it on top, cut the deck, find the card (bare with me guys I was 6 hehe)
At 8 I put a quarter in my mouth. acted like I swallowed it, "ahemed" into my hands and then spit it thru my closed fist lol. haha.
[quote]
On 2005-08-25 19:07, pkg wrote:
Pick a card, any card :P, put it on top, cut the deck, find the card (bare with me guys I was 6 hehe)
[/quote]

Haha, that's pretty much the exact same story for me.
And beleive it or not it still fools some people to this day! LOL
[quote]
On 2005-08-25 22:03, LegendsEnd wrote:
[quote]
On 2005-08-25 19:07, pkg wrote:
[/quote]

Haha, that's pretty much the exact same story for me.
[/quote]
Same here... although the first really good trick I learned was called something like "Card Sharp" you get ace through king in any suit, then you have the person your proforming to mix the deck up by saying dip or deal... It's a very good trick and it fools almost everybody the first time.
Scotch and soda was my first trick (only about a week ago) it's great to find something new to do with it every day!!
Somewhere around age 8, my father returned from a business trip with a ball and vase that he picked up from Hollywood Magic. I nearly fell flat. I was hooked for the next couple years.

Insert long hiatus... I was bitten again after seeing Scotch and Soda performed in a mall. So I picked up MCM and learned the Simple Vanish. Thanks to numerous Coin Magic DVD's, I'm hooked again!

-Dan
When I was about six years old my grandfather gave me a magic set. I think the first trick I learned was the coin through rubber into a glass. Didn't last too long though, as I recall I ripped it after the first and only 'performance'. A couple of years later I received a 'Magic Hat' for the Holidays. The first trick I performed out of that was to place an object in a paper bag and 'vanish' it.

-Sean
The first trick that I ever learned was the brainwave deck. I was 6 and after I learned that, I started to work on some sleight of hand effects.
Taking a pencil and waving it in the air to make it look like it was made of rubber! :rotf: It still worx for kids! :rotf:
<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>
Message: Posted by: Dusty the magic clown (Sep 8, 2005 02:17PM)
How to join two rubber bands together
First trick I learned was 'Red hot mama' or a variation thereof,
First trick I purchased, Crazy mans handcuffs, (OK I was young, a student, and broke)
David
The milk pitcher. It was also the trick that stimulated my interest in magic.

Top of the day,
Michaels
The first trick I ever learned was the floating wand behind the hand. It fooled no one. I'm sure I followed up with the rope in vase trick.

Mike
The old self-working one where all the face cards join each other in their proper places after much dealing and storytelling.
"the famous 21 card trick", learned from one of my friends, yes, I still perform it, fools most people. And no, my friend does not perform magic anymore, he realised how much practice needed to go into it all
My 1 was the ambitious card routine, since that is how I started learning magic
Would it count if I said the 8K stack?

I thought it was just GREAT to be able to show a 'normal' mixed deck, turn them face down spread them in a ribbon and be able to name any card chosen by the spec!

Maria B xx
My first was cup and balls and I still use it in my kid's shows Donnie
I was around 8 or 9 and my Dad took my to the magic shop for my birthday. I got color changing silks, Cubio, nickels to dimes, and the one with the half-painted bottle and the cork ball. I put on a show for the neighborhood kids. I was a bit disappointed because: 1) you could see the second silk through the first one, 2) the "move" in Cubio was too obvious, 3) the dimensions of the cap after the transposition gave it away, 4) I felt like everyone knew how the bottle trick worked.

I also got a TV Magic Deck early on and had a blast with it, though sometimes an indifferent card would show up when I was showing how they would all change to their card. Still, Marshall Brodein was my hero. He was so smooth and self-confident.

- Steve
I think the very first trick I learned was the magic coloring book.