(Close Window)
Topic: Stealing Pips Take
Message: Posted by: holytoledo36 (Mar 15, 2004 01:01AM)
I heard all these terrible things about Oz's DVD from Close's review, but I got my hands on it anyway. To be honest, I really enjoyed it. Even though he may not have given due credit, I thought the tricks themselves were very effective. Tried one on my magician friend and fried him.

I consider myself an intermediate magician, but honestly Stealing Pips is one of the top 10 DVDís I have, if not top 5.
Message: Posted by: redstreak (Mar 18, 2004 10:18PM)
I also liked his DVD. I haven't read the review so I can't comment on that.
Message: Posted by: holytoledo36 (Mar 19, 2004 12:47AM)
It was probably one of the most brutal reviews I've ever read from Close. I was stunned because I got a lot out of it.
Message: Posted by: Scott Chesney (Mar 19, 2004 06:41PM)
I think Close is simply off this time. The DVD features some fine effects as well as very useable card moves, which Oz teaches in an excellent manner for the most part.

Scott
Message: Posted by: shane079 (Mar 20, 2004 11:02AM)
The dvd had some good effects and moves but the menu was very bad and the sound does,nt work when he explains half of the tricks and am not the only one this has happen to..but am still plese with it because I pick it up from a magi buddy for lot less..
Message: Posted by: redstreak (Mar 20, 2004 02:07PM)
It's not my favorite, but it's still pretty good. I'd give it 8/10.
Message: Posted by: eryanic (Mar 22, 2004 12:43AM)
I know this guy who is really really good in card tricks (won some competition and stuff), and he owns the DVD...hmm..so I assume it should be a good DVD?
Message: Posted by: holytoledo36 (Mar 23, 2004 12:46AM)
Exactly...it might not be a 10 out of 10, but there are definitely a couple effective tricks on there. It just seems like Close made it sound like the worst DVD ever made and it wasn't even close to that.
Message: Posted by: Steven Leung (Mar 23, 2004 10:21AM)
I own this DVD, and to be honest with you all, I learn some good moves from it like Betram change and Zenneth's Alignment move refinement. Even though Zenneth is a close friend of mine, I learn alternative handling from Oz, what a joke! However, Zenneth's move original idea is for advanced card tricks for me.

May be the SAR(?!) move needs a lot of work to get it done, however, there are always something you can get from this DVD, if you want to perform unusual pick a card and find selected card trick, you should spend some time on this DVD.
Message: Posted by: briantwig (Jun 4, 2004 03:46PM)
Brutal is being kind with Close's review. He basically said Oz was a crap magician, should be ashamed to put out a DVD, and that anyone who buys it should get out of magic. The only thing he was right about is that Oz patter is pretty bad.

I like the DVD. It has some strong stuff on it.
Message: Posted by: truthteller (Jun 4, 2004 03:56PM)
Does it bother anyone that the effects on the DVD were NOT his and just minor variations of material already in print and presented WITHOUT permission?

I am curious to know, and this is genuine curiosity, how many years the people who liked his DVD have been studying magic, what are their credentials and background?


Anyone care to offer theirs?
Message: Posted by: Turk (Jun 4, 2004 04:13PM)
Not my favorite DVD or even close. But I purchased it for one reason: To see the Bertram Change performed. Anything else was going to be a bonus as far as my purchase motivation was concerned. It is an excellent teaching tool for teaching that sleight and the two or three other sleights utilized.

Its been almost a year since I last watched this DVD but my recollections are:

My biggest gripe (gripe may be too strong a word) is that it was my impression that many of the various tricks either utilized the same sleight (such as the Zenneth's Alignment) or the tricks seemed like minor presentational variations of one another (such as the two effects where Oz waves a four card spread and one of the cards reverses).

If you were planning on copying his presentation word for word, Oz's patter left something to be desired. However, since I try to come up with original presentations, this didn't bother me at all except that watching his presentation was not as entertaining and polished as I'd have liked it to be (purely as a spectator watching a magician performing). And, since this is essentially an INSRUCTIONAL video, it is probably unfair to take off too many points for presentational lapses.

A number of very strong effects, but as noted above, many seemed to "blend together" with minor variations

6-7/10

Mike
Message: Posted by: marcus2 (Jul 4, 2004 04:11AM)
It has unique moves which you cant find in any other dvd.
Message: Posted by: Close.Up.Dave (Jul 4, 2004 11:09AM)
I don't know, he was pretty bad, I just turned it off after I saw him butcher the Bertram Change. He does it so badly.
Message: Posted by: david_a_whitehead (Jul 4, 2004 12:24PM)
Hmmm, have to disagree...i thought Oz's Bertram Change was one of the better ones.
Message: Posted by: Close.Up.Dave (Jul 4, 2004 12:42PM)
Nope, his hands are way too stiff and he aligns the cards at the wrong time, he also has the left hand card at a bad angle. All of this takes away the visualness of it.
Message: Posted by: atrudo (Jul 28, 2004 11:55AM)
I don't love the dvd but did find one or two ideas worth adding to my act. All in all, it's a good effort from Oz but I think he has shown us better.
Message: Posted by: redstreak (Jul 28, 2004 12:40PM)
[quote]
On 2004-06-04 16:56, truthteller wrote:
Does it bother anyone that the effects on the DVD were NOT his and just minor variations of material already in print and presented WITHOUT permission?
[/quote]

How do you know that he didn't have permission? Did you ask him?
Message: Posted by: JCaelum (Jul 28, 2004 04:53PM)
I thought SP was okay. the only thing I pulled from it that I do regularly is the bertram change, which I love nonetheless. the SAC move is great, but I just cant get it down 100% to validate using it in a routine
Message: Posted by: meilechl (Jul 28, 2004 07:01PM)
[quote]
On 2004-07-28 17:53, JCaelum wrote:
the SAC move is great, but I just cant get it down 100% to validate using it in a routine
[/quote]

I find it a lot easier to get perfect when I do it in a thumb or pressure fan.
Message: Posted by: mattisdx (Jul 28, 2004 09:42PM)
Toll the bell for someone else who got ripped off because Oz ripped off a bunch of other people :(
Message: Posted by: Review King (Sep 22, 2004 09:29PM)
Oz is a good card man. But...he's a snooze as a performer. You see guys like this perform in restaurants and the tables fall asleep.
Message: Posted by: meilechl (Sep 23, 2004 12:44PM)
I don't know about that. I saw his (discontinued) show Watch Magic in December and I found it quite entertaining.
Message: Posted by: pikacrd (Sep 23, 2004 01:33PM)
I for one thought that Mike Closes review was spot on. I buy quite a few DVD's and Videos a year and I will have to say that this is in the top 3 worst DVD's that I have ever purchased. I did not get any reviews prior to purchase nor did I know anyone who had it prior to me so I was flying blind. I made my mind up prior to reading Closes review but felt that he covered my thoughts very well.

[quote]
On 2004-06-04 16:46, briantwig wrote:
Brutal is being kind with Close's review. He basically said Oz was a crap magician, should be ashamed to put out a DVD, and that anyone who buys it should get out of magic. The only thing he was right about is that Oz patter is pretty bad.

[/quote]

I am not sure that I remember that Close saying that anyone who buys it should get out of magic or even if his intent was that. I understand that you are paraphrasing here but I think that you may be reading into what you thought he meant rather than what he did mean. I am not sure so I will go back and read the review again just to make sure.

As for the not giving credit where credit is due, even if Oz did have permission it is considered good form to credit the creator regardless. It shows a lack of respect for the art form and creator not to. A large part of what we do as magicians is based on history and if we do not preserve the history and respect for the creators of our tools, magic as a whole will be worse off because of it. In magic where it came from should matter.
Message: Posted by: meilechl (Sep 23, 2004 03:19PM)
[quote]
On 2004-09-23 14:33, pikacrd wrote:
I for one thought that Mike Closes review was spot on. I buy quite a few DVD's and Videos a year and I will have to say that this is in the top 3 worst DVD's that I have ever purchased.[/quote]

Why do you say that? Was there anything in particular that made you feel that way? Do you not think any of these effects are useable or do you just think they suck?
Message: Posted by: meilechl (Sep 26, 2004 12:03PM)
No answer?
Message: Posted by: tpdmagic (Sep 26, 2004 03:02PM)
The one thing I will say in defence of OZ (BTW I don't own the tape Just becuase I don't need another card tape or book) Is that he was a online demenstrator there is a big difference between a demenstrator and their show. I haven't seen his show but have watched some of the demos. If his show is anything like his demos there would need to be a lot of work on presentation. I think people don't understand that demoing a trick to sell it is a totally different ball game.

tpdmagic
Message: Posted by: pikacrd (Oct 15, 2004 10:42AM)
Meilechl reminded me that I promised him I would get a response out here as to why I did not like the DVD in question so here it goes. (I promise to keep this short and sweet I should also add that I currently do not have the DVD in front of me as I am drafting this so I will not refrence any of paticular rouines contained on the DVD) First off as I have mentioned in other posts I feel that the lack of crediting work that does not belong to you regardless of if you have permission or not is poor form and immediately puts a DVD into my questionable list. This is a topic that has been discussed several times here at the cafť so I will not go into it more than that. Secondly I felt that OZ came off as a demonstrator and not a magician, this is a totally opinionative deduction on my part so I will explain that I really do not do demos when I am performing. I know that a lot of people will say that you should put your own performing style over the top of the effects that are being shown, and I agree but I would like to see how a real worker handles the material to get a feel for the possibilities. I will put this into perspective by saying that I love the Pot Hole trick by Mike Close, I have seen him do it several times I love his presentation but I do not follow it. I have my own version of his effect that I do when performing. With Oz you get none of the real performance style in any of the demonstrations that he performs on this DVD. Again this is my opinion. Thirdly I did not have a use for any more that about 5% of the material that was on the DVD I am not saying that there was not material that some magicians would use just none that I was interested in.

So to wrap this all up I will say that this DVD did not do it for me. I found it to be less than worth my time that it took to watch. I do want to add that this is not an attack on Oz at all it is just merely my opinion of the DVD, and I am sure that others have differing opinions of this DVD and that is great.

I wish you all the best.

Kris
Message: Posted by: Pants99 (Oct 15, 2004 11:06AM)
I bought it, but haven't watched it yet...I bought it for the SAC move.
Message: Posted by: meilechl (Oct 16, 2004 02:20PM)
It's hard to contest the third point as that is an individual thing. I, for one, have found routines to use. I do agree, however, to the first two points.
Message: Posted by: Rob Johnston (Oct 16, 2004 04:36PM)
[quote]
On 2004-03-19 01:47, holytoledo36 wrote:
It was probably one of the most brutal reviews I've ever read
[/quote]

You haven't read mine!