(Close Window)
Topic: Guerilla Promotion
Hi everyone, I don't know if this should really go here but I couldn't find anywhere else to put it.

My question is this: What are some good tricks/techniques/tools to leave a lasting mark of your performance? Kinda like a location-based souvenir. An example that comes to mind is the card on ceiling (or to any impossible yet visible place) and the effect David Blaine did where some graffiti was transformed into a chosen colour with fire.

The key point is that once you are gone there is still something there that will advertise that you performed there.

Any ideas?
Get permission from the venue first.
You could buy an engraved brick at Ronald McDonald House or some other charity walk or wall with your Name and a chosen card. It might be seen as crass but I'm not sure myself. Some brick walks are to support a park so it would be more acceptable there. I wouldn't make it blatantly promotional.

-Mary Mowder
Write your name on the restroom wall. :)

But seriously, one of the best lasting impressions is a great first impression.
So make sure you have that one down pat to begin with.

Depends on the type venue but in some places you can leave a stack of business cards
near the front checkout. Also look to see if they have a bulletin board out front or
either in the employee break area to post a card.

Tom
@Dannydoyle: Ha, good advice for sure!

@Mary Mowder: Hmm, I probably wouldn't do it with a charity but the idea of having an engraved brick spawned a lot of good ideas. Definitely a good train of though, thanks for the idea!

@TomBoleware: Also very good advice!

I should probably clarify for future posters that ideas for informal outdoor settings (such as parks and street corners) are more along the lines of what I'm going for. So things like changing signs, having writing appear or change on walls, maybe tricks involving trees or flowers. I definitely think I'm going to do something with a brick now. :)

P.S. Just pretend that you don't have to follow the law, lol. It'll be better for creativity.
[quote]On May 28, 2016, Houdini Trix wrote:
P.S. Just pretend that you don't have to follow the law, lol. It'll be better for creativity. [/quote]

The reality is that all of these seemingly impromptu things you see on TV magic shows have a team of producers scouting locations for weeks negotiating with city officials and building owners for permissions to temporarily alter their property for the filming. This can frequently including bringing in fake walls, matching scenic elements to match existing decor, fabricating totally new store facades, creating completely self contained installations for outside locations and anything else they need to do to create the illusion of a spontaneous bit of magic occuring organically as a moment of whimsy . As is usually the case, there is little that is real about reality TV and even less is real about many televised magic specials.
Yeah the best trick is "The appearing second unit"".
@Ray Pierce: Yes, I understand how to be a magician, and I also understand how TV works. Thanks for the heads up though!
[quote]On Jun 1, 2016, Houdini Trix wrote:
@Ray Pierce: Yes, I understand how to be a magician, and I also understand how TV works. Thanks for the heads up though! [/quote]

Wow! Quite the post. Actually, most of us do not have a working knowledge of how tv "works" when it comes to producing magic shows. Ray provides insights from experience few have. I avoided this thread because it bothered me to see you use Houdini's name in your performing name. Now I will join in though and offer some advice:

Purchase and closely follow the teachings of Benji Bruce. Much of what he offers you will find to be impressive and practical. I believe he covers off what you asked as well as many other unconventional strategies. Best of luck.