(Close Window)
Topic: Cut & restored silk streamer
Does anyone know where to find the working behind the cut & restored silk streamer where you stand on each end of the silk (one end under each foot)? I have seen both Jade and Jason Byrne do it and would love to find the effect in print or on video.
First of all it is not a silk streamer. It is a wide ribbon. The original trick was sold by Tannen's many years ago.

It was called 'Count Artell's Professional Ribbon Cut'. This was a sleeper in the catalog. Never purchased. It is not available any longer.

The wand was the main gimmick. Cutting a ribbon with a wand did not make a lot of sense to me.
I think the wand has been replaced with a knife in this case.
As I remember the tape of Jason, he used the wand. And the lady magician at Abbott's used the wand also.

There is no knife used in this effect. I have not seen Jade version.

Jason used the knife to cut open the grapefruit.

Anyway, you have your answer. Good luck on locating. I have been looking for this effect for 10 years.
The wand was used to pull the center of the silk or ribbon up to cut it with scissors.

A cheap way to do this is to buy cheap fabric and tear into long strips.

You might also look into Jack Gwyene's cut and restored turban. I think it was written up in Tarbell.
This idea is discussed in Dariel Fitzkee's 'Rope Eternal'. Very briefly I should add! Can't complain, the book is only a few $'s.