(Close Window)
Topic: Can someone recomend a decent Cups and Balls set that is not $$$?
Hi all,

Have searched about and don't really know where to start if you get my meaning.

I've seen cheap to "how much?"

A decent aluminum set w/chop would be fine.

Many thanks,

Bob
p.s.I'm just getting back into magic, have all of my old books Lorrayne, Tarr, etc.
Here are some links for a few different ones I found on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Amazing-Learn-Magic-Tricks--Balls/dp/B001N96B82/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467144032&sr=8-1&keywords=magic+cups+and+balls+routine

https://www.amazon.com/Loftus-International-MW-0003-Combo-Balls/dp/B001A3M2C0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1467144319&sr=8-5&keywords=magic+cups+and+balls+routine

https://www.amazon.com/Copper-Combo-Cups-Chop-Three/dp/B0010AMPTS/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1467144158&sr=8-15&keywords=magic+cups+and+balls+routine
Message: Posted by: Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse (Jun 28, 2016 03:39PM)
Depending on how gravity effects you you may want a different material than aluminum
Penguin cups or Bazar de Magia cups both in copper
Message: Posted by: Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse (Jun 30, 2016 09:06AM)
I went with the Bazar in brass
I have Penguin Copper Cups. For the money, they are great. Mine have aged to a nice patina.
I don't think there's a better buy in magic than Bob Solari's stainless cups for about $25. They do show "out of stock" right now, though.

I will admit a preference for stainless cups and there aren't many options available.
As you are looking for a combination set, these are probably the cheapest you're going to find:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S12805

The trouble is the magnet is typically not hidden very well in a cheap combo set. Copper would be much better than aluminum if you can swing it. My first combo set was a copper combo set from Morrisey Magic, it was decent.
Message: Posted by: Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse (Jul 21, 2016 02:29PM)
If money is an issue post a wtb on the Café for a used set
Message: Posted by: Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse (Jul 21, 2016 02:29PM)
Sorry once you get 50 posts tjat is. U didn't look
Depending on what type of routine that you are going to do you can use any type of cups. Coffee cups, Clear Drinking Glasses covered with napkins or newspaper. You can use plastic cups. paper cups etc... If the routine that you have chosen requires the cups to stack you are going to want to make sure that they do. If not again you can use any that you feel fits.
[quote]On Jul 17, 2016, stevenamills wrote:
I don't think there's a better buy in magic than Bob Solari's stainless cups for about $25. They do show "out of stock" right now, though.

I will admit a preference for stainless cups and there aren't many options available. [/quote]

Steve,
I just found my Dad's Stainless Paul Fox the other day in the attic. I'm a happy camper.

Jake Jr.
[quote]On Jul 31, 2016, Mad Jake Jr. wrote:

Steve,
I just found my Dad's Stainless Paul Fox the other day in the attic. I'm a happy camper.

Jake Jr. [/quote]

JJ,

I think I used to drive your Dad crazy always wanting something in stainless. It is, by far, my metal of choice. I think I got most everything he made in stainless (including rings!)

I'm sure you know, but his first set of PF stainless cups weren't up to his standards (and he knew it). The second run was beautiful and he sent them to everyone that ordered the 1st batch - class act. Both are here on my shelf.

Give him my best.....
[quote]On Jun 28, 2016, blushingmule wrote:
Hi all,

Have searched about and don't really know where to start if you get my meaning.

I've seen cheap to "how much?"

A decent aluminum set w/chop would be fine.

Many thanks,

Bob
p.s.I'm just getting back into magic, have all of my old books Lorrayne, Tarr, etc. [/quote]

Don't overlook Ickle Pickle Aluminum Combo set. I PMed you about this set. Best.
I've got a fairly nice brass set I got from Tannens several years back. I think they were about $50 or so. I think they still sell them. I've also used Starbucks disposable cups. It's all about what fits your style and your routine. You needn't spend any money at all. But if you're doing a more "elegant" presentation, you'll spend a bit more on the props.
I just "found" cups at Crate and Barrel, spun stainless steel with copper plating. They stack without any attic space between cups, but it also makes them more compact when stored in the pouch. They are pretty large, big enough for a baseball load. I can't do the 4 phase routine with 1 inch balls, so I'm working on using sponge balls for two phases and getting to the finale.
At $15 each a set of three is still about $50 but they are nice solid cups.

Martin Copper Cocktail Glass

:cups: :cups: :cups: :cups: :cups:
I'd like to cast my vote for the Penguin Cups as an affordable and very workable set of copper cups. They look and feel great. Here's my very basic Cups and Balls routine with my Penguins:

https://youtu.be/XadJD6LbVi4

Oscar
Penguin Cups

Ickle Pickle - but not the one that has the 3 center rings. I ordered those once, and the cups could stack 'too well' and stick together. Maybe it was just my set, but their cups with the single center ring are really good.
'Just my opinion, but I think cups with 3 rings (even some of the 2 ringed ones) look "tricky" as opposed to just a single ring.

Julie
I just went to the Ickle Pickle website, and they don't list the 'triple beaded' cups that I used to have.

The current ones have a different set they call triple beaded - 2 are in the center, and 1 at the mouth of the cup.

The ones I had 3 beads in the center - 1 larger bead, and a much smaller bead just above and below the larger center bead. I also has 1 at the mouth of the cup.

With the 2 larger center beads, I doubt there will be problems with cups sticking together when nested. They also list the single beaded, which is also available as a combo set.

Here is a video showing both sets:

[youtube]U42EqbirAmk[/youtube]
This is incorrect. This is not how beads are counted when designing a cup. I have never ever heard anyone say I have a 3 beaded set of Paul Foxes or even 4 on the Chick Cups. The rolled mouth is not considered a bead. The last set, a mini set only has 1 bead. This was originally an Rings N' Things cup and were combo sets. 2 types were made the Rings N' Things. <wait for it> Thee ORIGINAL FOXY cups if they were aluminum they were Rings N Things, if they were Copper. they were the Milt Kort cups and distributed by Magic Inc. in Chicago. They are very rare and hard to come by, even 12 years ago they were rare.

Only 1 bead matters and that's the top bead the other cup will rest on. It makes no difference how many you put on. Its the size and top bead. This top bead should detract the spectators to focus on it rather than the saddle, when you want the spectators to focus on the saddle its when you want them to and the balls will do the rest of the work. Keep them focussed on the top bead and loads will be a lot easier to get to and produce.

I still have the Mini tooling from Rings N Things, not something I had ever thought of giving up. So the next time you look at your cups, the rings in the. center are what are ring, this whole video was incorrect. The last set I received Dale Houk sold as Mini Montis, but were actually the copper version of the Foxy Cup. The last sets I've seen on auction brought in 600.00 for the copper set.
[quote]On Oct 8, 2016, Julie wrote:
'Just my opinion, but I think cups with 3 rings (even some of the 2 ringed ones) look "tricky" as opposed to just a single ring.

Julie [/quote]

Jim Sisti also believed that several beads on a cup made them look "tricky" which influenced his decision to design his Working Performers cup with only one bead. When he performed with a PF set, spectators would mention that there appeared to be more than three cups when stacked.

Beyond any aesthetics, the extra second or third bead gives the cup a slightly better grip.
The steel cups and the blue gun metal steel mini's I have from Jake Sr. have one bead.

I also have the original (Magic Inc.) COPPER MILT kORT "FOXY" COMBO CUPS with white paint on the insides. These very seldom appear at auction.

Julie
Julie,
I'm going to go check my mini cups from Roings N Things. I was told the gaff was secured by the now outlawed Magic Poxy.. I'll check back later, I'm trying to figure out what white material you have Julie.

Jake Sr.
Julie, I have the same as you. I also noticed only 1 cup had a gaff, not all 3 like in todays cups. The design of the RNT mini Foxy cup is one of the best designs I've seen. Both sets were included with pom poms. The gaff in those was very subtle.
After RNT closed the design was carried on in the Ickle Pickle mini set and named polished 15 years ago. Now they ware only available in satin finish. Not much of the IP products are polished anymore.
Hi Jake,
The balls with mine are red crocheted. There are TWO sets of 4 smaller balls. One ball in each set is chopped. There are 3 larger red crocheted climax balls. ONE cup is chopped. Yes, the gaff is offset. (nice!)

Why was "Magic Poxy" outlawed?

Julie
Something to do with the chemical make up of the MagicPoxy the EPA deemed poisoned or distrustful and dangerous. I'm really not sure. There are epoxy methods now that are about the same as MagicPoxy, but not as dangerous. The only reasons we didn't use it was A. 80.00 per cup to do B. A lot of performers like a Patina.