(Close Window)
Topic: AOK by Lewis Lé Val
Http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7251

What do you guys think?
Sometimes, I wonder how accurate they are when they say "walk up to someone and read their mind." It seems like all mentalism tricks say that in their ad.
Well, the "info" sounds very good, but there is no performance at all on the trailer, so I have to wonder. Impromptu, nothing but pen and paper, no preshow, no CTs, no gimmicks, 100% hits. Too good to be true? Peter Turner and Dee Christopher "endorse" is and candidly,. their stuff is usually psychological in nature, often prone to influence and misses so I'm guardedly optimistic. It's not a break the bank purchase, but would love to hear from someone else before I drop the $15 on it.
Like Magic KL, I saw every mentalism trick description on the market start with "walk up to someone and read their mind."

I didn't purshased it for now either (for the same reason as daver), but I really hope it's new and like other tricks like "Revelation" (regarding the business card)...
The description/trailer does not do a great job at conveying what it is or at least how it’s unique compared to other products on the market. So who’s going to take the plunge and report back?
The trailer could have been an e-mail. There's zero info in it. I accept that trailers don't want to expose methods by having people watch over and over till they figure it out, but they need to at least throw us something. I get more leery of an effect that shows nothing rather than shows, but has strategic cuts.

All we know is that it is claimed:

1) Walk into a place.
2) Have or borrow pen and paper
3) Someone thinks, and writes.
4) Someone puts it face down, or shuffles them if there are several.
5) Performer reveals which person did which one, and divines what the drawings are

Claims of no CT, no preshow, impromptu, 100%, no gimmicks. (and yes, combination of two methods are in the text) The holy grail. But no performance on the trailer. (So why the trailer at all???) Curiosity has me, but still...
No pre show and no psychological stuff either. I started using this instantly after learning the method.
You got it? Can you tell us more?

Thanks.
I also noticed that Dee Christopher has/had a book on his site from Lewis, (and he was talking it up on another thread ) that had this effect in it. 30GBP was the price I think. And this was like 2 weeks ago. But the book is now no longer on the site, but this one effect at $15USD (about 11.5GBP today) is now on Penguin. Business is business, but I might have actually bought this 30GBP book and not jazzed about the shell game. Still very curious...
[quote]On Jul 5, 2016, ted french wrote:
No pre show and no psychological stuff either. I started using this instantly after learning the method. [/quote]

So it is pretty much as claimed? How has it been for you? Reactions? You think it is one where people are genuinely wondering WTF?
I like this. I can't really say much without giving the method away. It is simple to do and you probably use the method or something similar already....but I never used it to achieve such a strong result. It is really, really nicely routines.
Is it grab some biz cards m##k them and hand them to appropriate person?
The backs are completely blank with no marks. Also, the drawings are revealed before being shown along with who drew the picture.
This sounds amazing!
Sounds like a variation of SNEAK THIEF,made popular by Larry Becker. Many variations of that effect.
My thoughts: I can think of one way to do this, easily, and I'll be a little sad if I spend $20 for confirmation.

I would have trouble doing it for more than 5 or so people, so I'm hoping the method is better than mine, and doesn't rely on having an extra-sharp brain to pull off. =)
[quote]On Jul 5, 2016, johnreagan wrote:
My thoughts: I can think of one way to do this, easily, and I'll be a little sad if I spend $20 for confirmation.

I would have trouble doing it for more than 5 or so people, so I'm hoping the method is better than mine, and doesn't rely on having an extra-sharp brain to pull off. =) [/quote]

Just got it. Watched it. Here's my first-impressions:

It's not what I thought of, which is good.

It's something I'm familiar with, which is good.

It's probably best done as he does it; with pre-cut cards / business cards of some kind... which I don't / won't carry, so I'll have to get creative with using this. If you do carry those sorts of things, this is definitely simple enough to learn, and principle that you are probably already familiar with.

If you already know, or can spend some time coming up with your own single-to-multi-person drawing/word dupe type effect, you may not want to spend $20 on this.

If you do *not* already have the know-how, then it's probably worth it.

The teaching is clear, if not slow. The extra info he tries to provide is a little bit mediocre, in my opinion, but I appreciate the effort of adding value.
Indeed, my thought as well, just a reverse "Sneak Thief" where you have a final mind reading after a longer process of pseudo psychometrie.... While here you obviously have to start with one process of pseudo psychometrie followed by multiple revelations/mind reading stunts. Sort of strange communication between dead objects (the cards) and the mentalist as he has to know the written information on "face down" cards before he can proclaim to whom the card belongs. Might be quite interesting... :) While I can think of several handlings to accomplish that, here I could only speculate as the video doesn't show anything (which I understand and find o. k. here).

BTW, "Sneak Thief" is clearly predated by Max Maven who gets for some inexplicable reasons seldom credited... (see his "Desire", 1976). Jan
Hey guys! This effect is in his new book and I really like this one !

Easy, powerfull and smooth to do.. Loved it !
Apparently the new book is no longer available. But this sounds interesting indeed!
This method is really special in my opinion. No ct, you can use borrowed objects I found this to be a really strong method. I appreciate the guesses on here but its better and than the effects that are being mentioned here. All my opinion of course.
Jan : wasn't mavens version using a DL as opposed to the usual sneak thief.
(I'm obviously not Jan but...) but yes - Maven's "Desire" relies on a DL. I believe it was Becker that added the p**k commonly associated with "Sneak Thief".

Best,

Drew
Can this be done without any help ? ;)

As I don't have any friends and need something solid to use as an opener.

Many thanks
Rob

I would have trouble doing it for more than 5 or so people, so I'm hoping the method is better than mine, and doesn't rely on having an extra-sharp brain to pull off. =) [/quote]

Just got it. Watched it. Here's my first-impressions:

It's not what I thought of, which is good.

It's something I'm familiar with, which is good.

It's probably best done as he does it; with pre-cut cards / business cards of some kind... which I don't / won't carry, so I'll have to get creative with using this. If you do carry those sorts of things, this is definitely simple enough to learn, and principle that you are probably already familiar with.

If you already know, or can spend some time coming up with your own single-to-multi-person drawing/word dupe type effect, you may not want to spend $20 on this.

If you do *not* already have the know-how, then it's probably worth it.

The teaching is clear, if not slow. The extra info he tries to provide is a little bit mediocre, in my opinion, but I appreciate the effort of adding value. [/quote]

So not as simple as nicking and handing out biz cards.
DrRob I am also friendless and you can use AOK without an assistant/friend.

BTW DrRob, I will be your friend :)
I've sent you a pm Ted.

Not for friendship mind you

Lol
I've picked this up and gone through the content once.

Obviously I've not performed this but had the "necessaries" at hand and walked through the handling. This is QUITE good. It's one of those ideas that is so simple and uncluttered that I'm CERTAIN it will play extremely well - and to top it off it's a "blank canvas" kind of thing that you can make your own.

I'm happy with the money spent and I'm positive this will become part of my working set. It's no-tech, sure-fire, direct, extremely well thought out, and with the right presentation could absolutely play "real". I'm probably going to use it like a close-up 4DT.

But yes - as has been mentioned this would work best with biz cards (or, IDEALLY, with double-blank biz cards) so if that's not your style this isn't usable "right out of the box".

Best,

Drew
Thanks Drew for honest review.
This is sounding similar to IDD by Chris Rawlins when certain requirements are mentioned!

Dr Rob
It's not AT ALL like IDD.

It's much more in line with "Desire" or "Sneak Thief".

The handling is pretty flexible and can be applied to playing cards, tarot cards, etc. I mentioned the double-blank biz cards only because it offers some nice advantages.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Drew
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Jul 5, 2016 05:54PM)
Interesting, but looks like nothing new under the sun, other than selling it to penqiun magicians who don't know anything about mentalism.

Ray
Maybe it would help to have a brief synopsis of what the participants experience:

A few people in the group are each given a blank biz card (you can use one or several people - although 3 or 4 feels "right" to me) and you request that they make a simple drawing (again this is flexible - WHAT they put on the card depends entirely on you).

The cards a genuinely mixed by someone in the group and cleanly dealt out in a row on the table. You now get a sense of the author of one of the cards and begin to give a reading before successfully divining the thought/drawing. This is then repeated with remaining cards.

The handling appears extremely fair and open. If I saw this performed live I'd have a sense of the basic principle in play but it's used in a fresh way that I'm excited to implement.

Hope that I've not crossed any lines by outlining the basic performance of this. Nothing fits everybody - but this definitely is a worker in my eyes.

Best,

Drew
I had no intention of being so active on this thread but I had some down time and thought I'd take a chance.

Ray - I'm FAR from new to mentalism but yes, this isn't revolutionary. It IS however a solid piece and one that I've never thought of to sequence together so I'm happy with it :)

My favorite routines (both of my own creation and those shared from others in the community) are often ones that leverage existing techniques in innovative ways.

Best,

Drew
So could you put a slant on it like this when doing it one to one...
Get the spectator to draw 5 things one on each card 4 things they like and 1 they don't then you devine what the liked item drawn is?

Thanks
Dr Rob
Dr. Rob - that's a bit difficult to answer because while you could perform it that way (with some slight tweaking to the handling) you should know that the routine is "progressive" in nature - meaning that you reveal the information one card at a time. So you could feasibly divine the information in that fashion and then, at the conclusion, identify which of the items they dislike.
I recommend this release from Lewis. This is a simple approach to mindreading and reading using a classic method in Mentalism BUT in a way that routining-wise is a pure example of simplicity. I already poor a little bit of my own creativity and time to make me fit, so I know that I will use this variation routine in my own repertoire.

You just need a stack of blank/business cards and a marker. No more extra work on them, ungimmicked and unaltered materials. I wish to came up with this myself, but now knowing is the 2nd best thing.

Best
Rob Zabrecky performs a trick similar to how this sounds... Is it the same trick? That can be performed the same way ie. Order of events
I like what has been said about this effect.
Will have to order and see for myself.
Todd
I have it. It is pretty good. A method I've never used in mentalism but not opposed to in this situation.
John C - I'm assuming that you mean "the move" right? I imagine that you've used the underlining principle :) It's always fun when I can brush off some of my old card technique!

Now, when I say that I realize that might send off some red flags for some people but I can assure you that given the requirements of the routine really ANYONE should find success with the mechanics (a credible/authentic presentation should really be the focus here).

Best,

Drew
Does this require a card sleight?
It does - but it by no means needs to be flawless. I really don't think this should scare anyone away from this.
Thanks Drew
[quote]On Jul 5, 2016, DrewBstoss wrote:
John C - I'm assuming that you mean "the move" right? I imagine that you've used the underlining principle :) It's always fun when I can brush off some of my old card technique!

Now, when I say that I realize that might send off some red flags for some people but I can assure you that given the requirements of the routine really ANYONE should find success with the mechanics (a credible/authentic presentation should really be the focus here).

Best,

Drew [/quote]

Yes, the move. Gives me a chance to use it in mentalism. And in mentalism it's not really a move.
Bought it. Watched it. I'm a little leery of the initial elements of writing but overall, with the right set of timing, this has some definite possibilities. Need to try it before I form a full opinion tho.

And for those who think it is too similar to Becker's "Sneak Thief" - IMHO, you're right. Same principles, different handling to obtain the info, and less "proppy" and less set up.

Overall, I'll give it a 7.
Drew, you've been very helpful with your reviews. Giving a lot of vital information that in my opinion at least partly should have been on the trailer/ad copy while showing your respect for the secret. Thank you.
I don't like this. Not one bit. Why? I'll tell you.
First of all, Lewis is very handsome. I hate that.

Second, Lewis is quite well spoken and he comes off very polite. I hate that too.

Third, Lewis is not only a great performer but he also explains things very well. I hate that.

I hate Lewis.
James
ps

Alright, alright, I love the effect. Super smart use of an old method. Excellent routine. I would do the one on one by asking them to draw three pics, one of past, present and future representations. Then divine from there.
I still hate Lewis. Boo Lewis Boo :goof:
If you don't mind spending a tiny bit of money you can use double blank playing cards. They make everything much easier. If you know what I mean.

A double blank deck of 52 is around 5$
This is a great effect and uses two common principles in magic to create a great effect. Love the cold reading aspect to it as well, very clever.

John C I was thinking the same thing about a blank deck, to make the job easier.
Thanks, Drew. I probably would not have picked this up without your review.

The basic principles at work here are as expected but the natural handling is where the true value is. I don't mind the move; the heat is off when it needs to be done. What I like most is that the cards are totally unprepared; if you have a stack of blank cards and any pen this can be done (and repeated) right away.
Glad I could be of some assistance to you WooverM and Scott0819! I'm normally one to wait for someone ELSE to post a more helpful review but I had good feeling about AOK so I thought I'd "fall on the sword" this time for everyone else's benefit - fortunately it was worth it :)

Best,

Drew
I have found that only a few card moves translate well to business cards due to the properties of the material. Although I did enjoy the download and am happy I bought it I don't think I will use it because the move (which has to be repeated several times) would be spotted. In fact Lewis himself unintentionally demo'd the kind of fumbling that would occur during the explanation. Using blank playing cards as John C might be on option for some - but I would want to use my own business cards. I am going to practice this nonetheless and will post again if I change my opinion.
If Dee or Lewis open a Facebook page to share ideas, I will place in there my handling which eliminates that "move"

Best
It's amazing at what a little practice will do. Especially with something you don't do regularly.
I think this is really very good and will definitely use it. It is very sneak theifesque but that's no bad thing and it is different enough to not tread on any toes and to be a totally justifiable release. You literally just need a few cards and I think I'll probably do this with double blank cards rather than business cards, but it could be done easily enough with business cards if they were slightly glossy.

A few people have mentioned a move and all I would say is the move should not put off anyone but the most cack handed sleight of hand phobes; as its done very casually and could in my opinion be done fairly sloppily without detection. To put this in perspective, I wouldn't / couldn't do this convincingly in a card routine, but I have no concerns doing it in this context.

All in all I would really recommend this.

Pablo - Isn't there a forum on the penguin site in "my downloads section"
There's a kind of mini-forum for each different thing in your 'my downloads' bit in your account. It's always worth checking as there's often some great contributions or questions that can clarify things.

Phill
It's empty so far. Nice tip though.
It's definitely worth $15. Carefully explained. Easy to do. What's not to like?
Bought it ✔️
Like it ✔️
Use it ✔️
After reading all the positive reviews I took the plunge and am glad I did. The method is practical, bullet-proof, and the routine flows nicely. I almost joined the other Café skeptics who thought there was new about this but they're wrong. It's going to be nice to perform a "Sneak Thief" type routine on the fly without having to mark cards in advance etc. As others have noted previously, this is a "worker".
Welcome to the club. Haha
I also bought it last night well you have to really at that price lol

I like the effect and tried it today it worked like a dream I did put my slight slant on it adding more contact with the spectator when making the connection.

Trying to work out a way to upscale it for stage work.

Dr Rob.
I got this niw based upon the positive revuews. Rhis is an excellent and well thiught out routine. This is the strongest use of a well kniwn mentalism principle thwt I have seen. The so called move is super duper easy and clearly explained and shown. The movemove is a non issue. The luve demo could have been shot with better lighting, but it was clear enough. The explanation was very thorough and clearly shown. There were several variations discussed and shown. A great routine! Highly recommended.
Michael
I have a different way to execute this. Not necessarily a better way but a different way perhaps one that some of you may like. I think I'll let the creator in on it then maybe a few of you.
If you do John.
I would love to hear it.
Todd
I like this a lot. Maybe it's just my inexperience, but I can't think of another use of this move in mentalism. What a great use of a simple technique and a well-plotted routine. Also, I have to second the comment that the move is not tough. It's so out of the box that it can be super sloppy and still go unnoticed.
Thanks for the release, Lewis!

~Dave
I have to admit this is a very good effect. I am very happy I invested in this. I think just about anyone who buys this will be glad they did.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Yes - super sloppy moves go un-noticed. Go ahead and keep on fooling yourselves.
Super sloppy moves? Are you serious or just kidding? The "move" you call super sloppy is a well known and when exicuted well is a fantastic classic move that has been used in magic and mentalism for many many years by very professional entertainers sir. I'm hoping you are kidding. However I will say a move should never be sloppy that's where practice comes in but this "move" is a classic for a reason.

Good magic to all,

Eric
[quote]On Jul 7, 2016, The great Gumbini wrote:
Super sloppy moves? Are you serious or just kidding? The "move" you call super sloppy is a well known and when exicuted well is a fantastic classic move that has been used in magic and mentalism for many many years by very professional entertainers sir. I'm hoping you are kidding. However I will say a move should never be sloppy that's where practice comes in but this "move" is a classic for a reason.

Good magic to all,

Eric [/quote]

I know what you mean but in this routine I think if you have sold your self as a mentalist, the spectator simply wont be looking for a move which you do on the offbeat and with a degree of cover. If you've just done a card demonstration that shows of your sleight of hand ability (god only knows why you would, before doing this) I'd agree that you may come underfire a little bit. I think the point the great gumbini is making is that you don't need to do this difficult move with the same degree of accuracy you would if it were used in a card routine.
Must admit I'm a big fan of Lewis' work, so this was a no brainier for me. I bought it as soon as it released.

I absolutely love the routine as there's only one move which allows me to focus on the presentation.

I look forward to testing it out this weekend at my local. I'll let you all know how it plays out in the 'real world'...

Hope you're all having a great week!
I was wondering if this download expands on the content of Art of Knowing in Lewis's book, Diary of a Travelling Man? Or is it the same content but just in video format?

If someone gets the book, is this download considered redundant?
Sure, I was exaggerating a little with "super sloppy" but as others have said, if you're a mentalist performing mentalism (as opposed to throwing a bit of mental magic into an otherwise standard magic performance) there's no heat on the move, so it doesn't need to be a flawless execution. The move itself is rather simple as it is but in this context, even someone with weakness in this area can make it work. I'm sure there's some buffoon out there that is so horrible at this sort of thing that he or she will prove me wrong, but other than the very worst, I think most on this board will find it refreshingly easy to do.

~Dave
A couple of minor "tweaks" that I came up with. Instead of the standard turnover suggested by Lewis execute a half-pass. Next, to add justification for placing the remaining stack of cards onto the written cards do this instead...Use Bob Cassidy's excellent idea of a visualizing on a movie screen.

Draw a square that represents a theatre screen onto the top card of the stack you are holding. Then as you place the remaining stack onto each single card, ask them to visualize seeing their drawing inside the drawn "box". Of course, you can substitute anything for the movie screen (a blank canvas, a TV screen, computer monitor etc.).
My suggestion or enhancement or detraction (as some may define) is to use a g###e in some or all instances. Try it out you may like it you may hate! But, give it a try.
I think the half pass is overkill and is more susceptible to be noticed, not necessary the pass but having the hands come together takes away from the effect and lessons it IMO. Simply dropping your hand to the side and doing the move is much more deceptive. Though, I do love Cassidy's movie screen visualization idea! Makes perfect sense!

RNK
[quote]On Jul 7, 2016, j100taylor wrote:
Yes - super sloppy moves go un-noticed. Go ahead and keep on fooling yourselves. [/quote] Lennart green fools very well with sloppy moves. And what about the slop shuffle.
I purchased this, and thought it was good. I'm not a fan of the method used to determine "who wrote what", but the method of getting the information is efficient and deceptive. There are a few unmotivated physical actions that take place, but they are not overly offensive. Overall, I'd say this is very clever and practical.
Movie screen is a standard mentalism method in my mind.
I'm a big fan of the plot and currently working on the plot so I couldn't refuse. I think the simplicity of this is very good. Will I perform it, yes!
Joel.
As far as sloppy moves I'll quote Bob Cassidy from another thread.

[quote]On Jun 22, 2016, mastermindreader wrote:

Sleight of hand in skilled mentalism (as opposed to self-working store-bought mental magic) requires the same proficiency level and nerve required of a professional high-stakes card cheat working solo. For the cheat, accidental exposure can result in serious injury. In pure mentalism it will result in a complete loss of credibility and, if the performer is working "strong," derisive laughter and name-calling as well.

But when a magician drops his thumb-tip or accidentally exposes something, he can usually just blow it off with a funny one-liner. After all, the audience already KNOWS that he's just doing tricks.

[b]
While some magicians certainly use a far greater number of sleights, the mentalist's moves must be flawless and so natural in performance that they are virtually invisible and unsuspected.

So when someone tells me that classical mentalism is easier than magic, I know they're in for an embarrassing lesson should they attempt billet work or other skill-based techniques before a paying audience.
[/b]

And, frankly, I think that fear of exposure, and guilt about claiming or implying telepathy or paranormal abilities, are just two of the reasons that many feel a lot safer doing mental magic as opposed to claim-based mentalism.

As I said during a PEA interview over thirty years ago, the three most significant attributes of the "Complete Mentalist" are showmanship, technical mastery and nerve.

And I'm sorry to see that so many newcomers don't seem to understand that. [/quote]

I said earlier was happy with the download and was going to work on it. After doing so and making some changes to the handling (similar to what I believe John C did) I am now very comfortable with and excited about this routine. I am going to road test this at my first opportunity.

I will echo ash2arani’s comment and say that I am disappointed to find out that this effect is included in his book. If I had known, I would have rather bought the book and got read more of his work. Now I can't justify buying the book also. Darn these instant downloads and instant gratification!
[quote]On Jul 7, 2016, Ben Blau wrote:
I purchased this, and thought it was good. I'm not a fan of the method used to determine "who wrote what", but the method of getting the information is efficient and deceptive. There are a few unmotivated physical actions that take place, but they are not overly offensive. Overall, I'd say this is very clever and practical. [/quote]

Ben, if you just ask them to initial or sign their drawing the "who wrote what" problem is solved right?
For me, what makes this DD routine great is that the routine is fairly easy to execute and it's streamlined for close-up to involve multiple people. I've always felt performing DD's for a single person in a group of people can be boring for the specs not involved and this solves that problem for me. As Ben pointed out there are a few unmotivated moves but nothing that should be noticed or remembered after the reveals. It does also require a table.

My biggest stumbling block is that I use and carry blank business cards everywhere I go and I can't get them smooth enough for the move. I'm going to have to go to the printing store to get some glossy blanks for me to feel comfortable enough for this routine. Additionally, my performance character isn't psychic which means I need to routine it a little differently to remove the psychometry aspect of the effect. No big issues, just a couple of stumbling blocks I've run into.

I will use this though. The routining makes this one a winner.
[quote]On Jul 7, 2016, RNK wrote:
I think the half pass is overkill and is more susceptible to be noticed, not necessary the pass but having the hands come together takes away from the effect and lessons it IMO. Simply dropping your hand to the side and doing the move is much more deceptive. Though, I do love Cassidy's movie screen visualization idea! Makes perfect sense!

RNK [/quote]

The half pass idea is just another method for accomplishing the same. It could come in handy say if a person was standing to your immediate side. I just like having an alternative move in my arsenal for such situations. But surely, dropping your hand to the side is easier and what I will do most of the time. The movie screen idea is a "standard" in mentalism as John C states. But in this instance, it does provide a little more justification/motivation for placing the stack back onto the drawings.
I thought of writing the number 1 three different ways for example..

l
/

They are all then number one but different designs to identify the one of three.

Dr Rob
I'm all about collaboration...but we might be bordering on too much information here...

The Penguin forum linked to "AOK" might be a better place to discuss these ideas - just a thought.

Best,

Drew
Message: Posted by: innercirclewannabe (Jul 7, 2016 02:20PM)
[quote]On Jul 7, 2016, DrRob wrote:
I thought of writing the number 1 three different ways for example..

l
/

They are all then number one but different designs to identify the one of three.

Dr Rob [/quote]

There are much better ways of "marking" rather than writing. The odd thing was, in the download he states that the numbering has never been questioned. I distinctly remember hearing the girl tell him about something on the back of her card - in fairness he did his best to brush the comment off, but, nonetheless, it WAS questioned.
I agree, we should probably move this thread downstairs.
[quote]On Jul 5, 2016, DrRob wrote:
Can this be done without any help ? ;)

As I don't have any friends and need something solid to use as an opener.

Many thanks
Rob [/quote]

oh, this made me sad!
Concerning the numbering: I don't remember where I have seen this but I will give out 3 pens with different point sizes, this speeds up the drawing and eliminates the need to put anything on the front.
He explains plausably why only one pen.

Plus, who wants to carry three pens.
Agreed, his justification for having only one pen makes perfect sense. I never took notice of this before but it's absolutely true.
Maybe I'm being overly sensitive - but some of these comments are pushing the boundaries of what should be discussed on this public forum. The "merely curious" would have to read between the lines but a lot of info has been shared...

Again - there's a forum connected to this product for owners (or, at least, we can speak a little more freely in Inner Thoughts).

Best,

Drew
I have posted my suggestion for eliminating the numbering on the forum.
It is always a fine line between magicians helping magicians and exposure. But that's what makes the Café unique. As an owner of this I have to say I'm comfortable with the posts so far as to not exposing anything. But I do see as we discuss this and other effects more deeply it could get close. I have to admit I love the ideas that come up though.

Good magic to all

Eric
Very nice release from Lewis! Definitely a great go to piece with simple items. What really will make the performance memorable is the personal readings. Although I don't think it's necessary it would be nice to find a way to eliminate the one slightly illogical step (placing pile on top) or come up with some kind of justifying logic to motivate that step convincingly. I have been trying a couple of alternative approaches but yet to settle on something.
"You can't see the writing through that paper, right? Just to be sure I'm going to place these on top."
OR
"Psychometry requires touching those cards but I don't want to touch them directly in case you think I'm sneaking a peek. So I'll place these on top and will just lightly touch them."
OR
The idea mentioned earlier of drawing a "movie screen" on the top card.
Hello everyone! I am glad to see so many of you enjoying AOK!

I spotted a few things throughout this thread that I thought I should address. This isn't a response to anyone in particular, just to a few of the things discussed.

This is a new piece to a lot of people (not the methods, the routine as a whole) and I am seeing the same thought patterns I went through when creating the routine.
Should I do this move instead of that move? Is this justified? Will that work? Should I do this?

I had no intention of releasing this until recently, so the effect as you see it is what I've been doing for live audiences night after night. I've eliminated things and changed things over time, to the point where this effect best suits me. Of course if there are any changes you want to make to suit your style/performance/character, then please do!

I used to draw an eye on the top card that I would hold my hand over, and the effect was originally called the Art Of Seeing, not long after I first started performing it I ditched the eye and changed it to the Art Of Knowing after realising that the eye just wasn't needed. It is a nice presentational point but all it did was make people aware of the cards, it drew unnecessary attention to them.

The placing of the stack of cards on the table is totally logical. The audience know you can't see anything anyway, so they won't argue when you make it even more difficult for yourself to see what they have drawn. It's also a nice way of emptying your hands for a few moments. They will remember you touching absolutely nothing when revealing the information. This nicely removes any "what if.." Thoughts from their mind. You touched nothing.

You could mark the backs or edges of the cards, but that means you have to mark the back or the edges of the cards. Is it not better to be able to do it without marking anything? For the thing that I said was never questioned by spectators, it has never been questioned, only mentioned. There is an important difference. And only once or twice in about a hundred performances is it mentioned, which is easy to brush off.

The card move used is actually the card move's goofy cousin. It doesn't have to be perfect, it can be sloppy, it's never seen.

Another point I wanted to make is, don't try and justify something that doesn't need to be justified. Don't do the mentalism equivalent of "I have a normal deck of cards".
We are picking at the smallest things, things that never even cross the spectators mind. Every single thing you say to them will be in their mind. So if you mention something that doesn't need mentioning then of course they will think about it or question it. They don't know what it takes to read minds, you do. If you just continue with your normal mind reading process, who are they to question anything? You are the expert. If they ever did question you, it is only out of curiosity, not suspicion.

Regarding doing this with pieces of paper, I will give you an example of when I use it. There is a bar here that I often perform in, and they give me a stack of complimentary drink tickets to use in my routines and hand out to people. These are glossy, smaller than business cards and are on the thinnest paper stock ever. They aren't the best things to use, but can be used just fine. I will upload a photo of them later. The best part is, rather than claiming their free drink with it, many people choose to keep this ticket with their drawing on the back as a little souvenir!

I hope that answers any questions (from what I can remember) I'm currently typing this in the sun and struggling to see the screen. I will hop back on later on and answer any more questions you may have :)

Thank you all for your support and I am so glad to see so many people using AOK!

Cheers guys!
Hi Lewis

A well put together download .. Clearly people are loving it and you are generating audience reactions to make it part of your
Working repetitive but for me there are too many actions which have no justification that irk in my mind .

I guess I am more of a creator than performer

Kind Regards

Andrew
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Jul 8, 2016 11:53AM)
Here is the link for the DOATM book...

https://sellfy.com/p/hEui/

Or

https://www.magicshop.co.uk/diary-of-a-travelling-man-lewis-le-val-instant-download

The ad copy reads nice.

Is this Video download an improvement over the routine in the book?

Ray
I bought the book and it is great. AOK is wonderful in construction. Of course, I will need some time to personalize it but the book has a lot of nice presentations, themes, and food for thought.

Note that AOK comes with a 1.5 minute video showing thr actual work from performer's view.

I would like to know if the Penguin download is worth having if one owns the book. Or is it exacrly as described in DOATM.
AOK (Art of Knowing) is an amazing routine, with a very simple and very deceptive method. Drawing duplications are just a starting point. The method can be used to obtain any information written on the cards, with 100% of the card visible to the performer. And, after each reveal, you can, if you choose, hand each person's card back to them. On top of that, you end completely clean. Highly recommended.
I like this a lot.... the stack part, I do like to drop a business card on top with an eyeball on it....glad to know that I accidentally went back to the original concept - I find for me it fits more with the eerie side of my character.... I like also then the stack acts as a "block" to see through - either way, I love this routine.

Got my mind clinking around!
Another aspect of AOK I really like is no wallets or envelopes are used. Nothing wrong at all with envelopes or wallets. Some routines are enhanced by their use, in certain contexts they offer advantages and some performers just like using them. That said, I really like the effect AOK achieves with nothing other than a small stack of completely ungimmicked cards and a pen.
Excellent work! This is definitely something I will use.

kJ
I really like this. The simplicity of the whole thing and being totally clean at the beginning and end is great. Lots of possibilities. Great effect Lewis!
Hey Lewis, just want to say this is a class routine. Ran with it today on one person doing a past present future type routine. Man it really is great. Easy to do and super powerful.

Well done Lewis and thanks for sharing ;-)

Séa
Am I crazy?

Combine this with a fairer version of Rose by Fraser.

First, Second, Last. Allow the spect to jump and apply any word of description. Reading and name reveal. I believe this is vague enough for only those who have both to get the jist without giving away methods.
RedDevil, that's a beautiful idea. In fact I liked the idea so much I immediately grabbed my business cards and tried it out. Even to a well seasoned spectator who is lucky(?) enough to watch all things magic I perform, she was freaking out every step of the way. Revealing the name at the end was an added kicker which allowed the effect to flow so well and gave every step purpose. So yes, you're crazy, a crazy good thinker!!

This just solidifies the point that AOK is so versatile you can combine it with other effects such as Rose. But even that isn't necessary because on its own it's crazy strong. I've performed it a handful of times already and it goes over than more than just a feat of mind reading. It's so much more personal than that and forces the spectators to the only conclusion which is you picking up on their personalities. Revealing their drawing is almost not as important. One of my favorite effects released in a while.

Michael
I highly recommend Fraser's ROSE by the way...It's my favorite of Fraser's individual PDF's...
I have mixed feelings about Penguin Releases nowadays. Penguin should work less on editing and maybe showing full trailers so that you know exactly what you are getting. A.O.K. is an interesting and a workable routine you can easily modify. However, P**k Performances by Richard Busch will be a better bang for the buck. But this is not stating AOK is bad, in fact, it gives great routine and structure ideas. I personally wouldn't buy it again because I have other methods of p***s I prefer but it is still a good idea and routine. The principles are nothing new; however it can definitely be used in real life but needs to be tweaked to your effort and needs.
It is a wonderful routine. I came up with a different handling, I didn't say better ;) , but it helps to deal with some of the mentioned issues... I posted a little video for it, it is not public nor listed. If you are interested please go downstairs ("Inner Secrets") to find the link. Jan
I've posted a few variations to Jan's excellent handling on the Penguin sub-forum associated with AOK.

There really are a TON of alternative handling possibilities with this! Well done Jan! And, again, WELL DONE LEWIS!

Best,

Drew
I agree with Drew,
excellent alternative handling, thanks Jan!
But also very well done Lewis, this has SO MANY possibilities! I'm extremely happy with it! I'm going to test the basic routine on some friends today...
Jan's handling posted on the Penguin AOK sub-forum is brilliant! Much appreciated!
Thanks, please watch out also a bit for the subtleties which I am mentioning and which do not concern directly my alternative handling ;) . Jan
Jan, thanks for sharing your take on AOK. The fundamentals of the routine/concept remain, but in a lot of ways you've made a key part of this even more deceptive. I highly recommend at least considering the alternate ideas in the Penguin forum. I'm now using a little of Jan's and a little of the original and I'm very happy with it.

~Dave
Thanks, Dave, glad you like it :) I've done it last night again for a small group and it played one time more extremely well. Nothing has been questioned, and as it is so clean you perform very relax, people don't have a chance however they behave or look for. Jan
Hi gang, did a really rough and ugly vid for yet another variation. I've been using this one the last week - more spooky style but you can forget the eye if you want.
I showed this to some of my magician/ mentalist friends on Tuesday and they really liked the routine; however when you get together, new ideas come up and things get improved... with this we thought about one part of the routine that has nothing to do with the handling...
Since I don't have access to the "Inner Secrets" section yet, I'll post our findings on the Penguin forum for the effect...
Nice job. I like it. I'll try it out.
Are the business cards used here larger than standard business cards? They seem larger to me
It is up to you what to use... there is no limit in the cards' dimension...
Dear BlackZ,

Thanks for answering. However, that was not my question.

I only wanted to know if the blank business cards are larger than usual (because they seem so) and if that is the case I would like to use them for my effects because I like them better.

Thanks
[quote]On Jul 19, 2016, Maxyedid wrote:
I only wanted to know if the blank business cards are larger than usual (because they seem so) and if that is the case I would like to use them for my effects because I like them better.

Thanks [/quote]

Lewis does not mention the size of the cards in the video; if you like the large ones better you can use them of course...
Size doesn´t matter technically... And: Just a little remark: you could do my exact handling also using only 5 business cards (when using 3 spectators). Then you would not need the block auf business cards. The handling is almost as easy and smooth as with a block of cards. If you use less or more spectators just keep in mind that you have always 2 cards more than you actually need for your spectators ;) Jan
If you use index cards or post cards it will influence your handling choices - considerations of angles / sitting / standing etc but the penguin site has at least 3 variations of methods now - the original is great - I designed my version as I like a particular method that is similar to the original but for allowing your hands to be burned just in case with a Becker bit tossed in.

Someone also posted a nice tutorial vid on a variation of the original method tech

It's such a nice routine I'm sure others will create more variations.
P.S. Iain and I are doing some mentalism jam sessions for presentation angles in the INNER THOUGHTS :)
[quote]On Jul 19, 2016, Dr Spektor wrote:
P.S. Iain and I are doing some mentalism jam sessions for presentation angles in the INNER THOUGHTS :) [/quote]
Hm, can't get there yet :(... wait for me :)
[quote]On Jul 19, 2016, Dr Spektor wrote:
If you use index cards or post cards it will influence your handling choices - considerations of angles / sitting / standing etc but the penguin site has at least 3 variations of methods now - the original is great - I designed my version as I like a particular method that is similar to the original but for allowing your hands to be burned just in case with a Becker bit tossed in.

Someone also posted a nice tutorial vid on a variation of the original method tech

It's such a nice routine I'm sure others will create more variations. [/quote]

Where can I find all this extra stuff?
Penguin forum for purchasers
Can anyone recommend a type/brand of blank business cards that work well with this? Mine are too sticky.
If you use my handling it doesn't matter... :) Jan
Just order ones that have basic gloss and you are set - you need nothing fancier.
BC: Order Semigloss Aqueous - they are best as they slide well, and you can write on them with a ballpoint ben without any issue. Just ordered 1000. Love them. They fold well too

ASIDE: if you looked at ASE of Harlan thread, I've combined these two... and put in one other EYE thing so you get a triple threat. I like ASE and AOK - they are like chocolate and peanut butter.

THOUGHT: per the Penguin thread of "why #" well, here what I do instead of #'ing - what I just tried and it works well was rather than draw a box or crystal or etc is just draw a large eye shape without the pupil/iris... blank.... people draw in the "eye" and when you drop your "AOK-eye" on top of the stack, you say you are seeing though into the drawing through the eye.

[img]http://transientexpression.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/eye-template.jpg[/img]

That looks pretty innocent

EEEEYYYEEEEEEEEES
Thanks for the recommendations! Jan, even with your handling the cheapo cards I bought from Staples are too sticky ;-)
[quote]On Jul 26, 2016, Dr Spektor wrote:
BC: Order Semigloss Aqueous - they are best as they slide well, and you can write on them with a ballpoint ben without any issue. Just ordered 1000. Love them. They fold well too

ASIDE: if you looked at ASE of Harlan thread, I've combined these two... and put in one other EYE thing so you get a triple threat. I like ASE and AOK - they are like chocolate and peanut butter.

THOUGHT: per the Penguin thread of "why #" well, here what I do instead of #'ing - what I just tried and it works well was rather than draw a box or crystal or etc is just draw a large eye shape without the pupil/iris... blank.... people draw in the "eye" and when you drop your "AOK-eye" on top of the stack, you say you are seeing though into the drawing through the eye.

[img]http://transientexpression.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/eye-template.jpg[/img]

That looks pretty innocent

EEEEYYYEEEEEEEEES [/quote]

Very nice ideas, Dr. Spektor! Thank you.
[img]http://phantasms.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/IMG_6186.jpg[/img]

Freehand ugly .... no matter where its oriented - it does't matter. You don't need to remember anything so long as you always do the same little things.

[img]http://phantasms.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/IMG_6188.jpg[/img]

Got my 1000 Semi-Gloss Aq... so having lots of fun.
AOK is certainly a true & tried approach for what really comes across as perplexing and amazing. Lewis is giving us the 'real' thing, given his experience & persona. Thanks Penguin!
This is why the Café is great. Since I bought this the evolution on this forum has been a breath of fresh air. Some great ideas generated. Thanks to all. Much appreciated.
I love the handling on this trick. Even if you're familiar with the concept you'll still get something out of this. If you do readings it's really pure gold. Nothing amazingly new here but the handling and insight makes it special. I give this 2 thumbs up!
I haven't seen this, but I'm pretty sure I can already deduce what is going on with this..

I'll probably pick this up to support the creator anyways. If so, I'll see you boys downstairs. ;)
This is great and the handling doesn't need fixing but...that being said, I figured out how to do it so that it looks IDENTICAL to the original, but ZERO sleights. Not a one. :sun:
[quote]On Aug 23, 2016, Sudo Nimh wrote:
I figured out how to do it so that it looks IDENTICAL to the original, but ZERO sleights. Not a one.[/quote]

I'm intrigued (PS I own this in case you want to share - which you've been known to do!)
If you're inclined to share your take on it Sudo there's always the owners forum on Penguin :)

Best,

Drew
I don't know if I want to share it because the idea is something I use in another of my effects that I don't feel like giving up at the moment. But maybe...

Also, I don't really think this thing needs any fixing to be honest. That's a compliment... I'm very discriminate. The method as is, is direct and straight forward.

I only developed the other because I saw others were trying to do so and I was bored. Heck, I could market it! (kidding!)
For those who have seen my first little video of my different handling:

I have just uploaded a very little video (not listed) which offers an addition to my first video concerning a different handling. In essence it is a variation for the very beginning of my handling which works absolutely flawless and is very smooth... :) If you have bought "AOK" just go to your penguin magic account and there you will find it in the discussion area of "AOK". Jan
[quote]On Sep 2, 2016, JanForster wrote:
For those who have seen my first little video of my different handling:

I have just uploaded a very little video (not listed) which offers an addition to my first video concerning a different handling. In essence it is a variation for the very beginning of my handling which works absolutely flawless and is very smooth... :) If you have bought "AOK" just go to your penguin magic account and there you will find it in the discussion area of "AOK". Jan [/quote]

Jan,

I am not seeing this...that Penguin forum for purchased items is a mess! Do you know what heading/title it is under?

BTW - Looking forward to your lecture tomorrow.
Look for the date and the most popular. Jan
And now you´ll find it even easier on Penguin Magic under the discussion area of "AOK"... Just follow this question, "Are there alternative handlings for "AOK"?" and you are right there, provided with both links. :) Jan
[quote]On Sep 3, 2016, JanForster wrote:
And now you´ll find it even easier on Penguin Magic under the discussion area of "AOK"... Just follow this question, "Are there alternative handlings for "AOK"?" and you are right there, provided with both links. :) Jan [/quote]

TY
Great little routine, Lewis! I imagine this will be hard hitting. Thank you for sharing it.
Got it, love its simplicity, and thanks for the addition video by Jan Foster. Love the method added in those two videos.

Just a hint: I'm performing Bob Cassidys Name and Place Routine, but at some occasions I cannot burn the slip of paper due to fire regulations. I can easily see a similar type routine using this method wihtout having to use fire.