(Close Window)
Topic: Puzzle of the bigamist
Hi all ,i am new to this site but not new to magic,so I thought maybe I could give you a puzzle you may not have heard,let,s see,,,2 men are in a bar having a chat these men have never met before,in walk 2 women first man says to the second man here comes my wife and daughter,the other man says now wait a minute that's my wife and daughter,,,,well there you have it lets see if you know it,mike
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Mar 17, 2004 07:59PM)
Are they wearing name tags?
Good idea I will call 1st man brian 2nd man john,the 2 women I will name anne and carol
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Mar 17, 2004 08:31PM)
Thanks Mike, I was wondering if one was named Daughter.
Are Anne and Carol half sisters?

If so, that would mean Brian and John each fathered a child by the same woman - that woman being the mother of Anne and Carol. Brian married Carol (John's daughter), and John married Anne (Brian's daughter).

Iffin that ain't the solution, I reck'n it oughtta be.
Jonathan,you are on the right track,craig you are even closer,,a little more thought,mike
How about this

Brian (age 50) married Anne (aged 40) and had a daughter Carol (aged 20)
John (aged 60) married Carol (aged 20) and - by a previous relationship many years earlier - had a daughter Anne (aged 40)
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Mar 18, 2004 07:00AM)
Sorry, I just re-read the Heinlein story 'All You Zombies' so will stay out of this one. They could all be the same person.
In that case, not only are they all the same person, but they are probably also mike paris.

0pus
Pxs,you are very close,but not quite there,because you are close I will give answer soon,mike
Pxs,you are very close,but not quite there,because you are close I will give answer soon,mike
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Mar 18, 2004 08:38AM)
One could also go for the Philip K. Dick version where both guys are visitors from separate timelines as in 'Man in the High Tower'.

Got Wu?
Maybe they'd just been drinking in the bar too long. Only one woman walked in and was related to neither of them.
Ok here it is,brian marries X and they have a daughter ANNE,brian divorces X ,,,,john marries Y and they have a daughter CAROL, john divorces Y,,,so now brian marries carol ,and john marries anne ,and so the 2 women are wife(carol) and daughter(anne) to brian, and wife(anne) and daughter(carol) to john,,was the title a help or a hindrence?the art of suggestion our powerful ally in magic.,mike
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Mar 18, 2004 06:01PM)
Got it!

The two women are a performing duo who perform under the group name 'My Wife and Daughter'.