(Close Window)
Topic: Magic Coach for television work
Last December, I was hired by a Chinese television network who each year produces a 'beauty pageant'. They asked me to customize and perform a 10-minute interactive magic routine with the 10 finalists.

The show was taped before a live audience and was aired the very next day. It was a wonderful experience!

Any tips or stories you would like to share about working as a magic coach?!

Thanks,

naturalturn (Ray)

http://www.raywongmagic.com
I seem to be a mentor to some of the other people in my IBM local magic club. Most are always so interested to do restaurant work. I actually started restaurant work- rather by accident, and it just took off from there. My first restaurant 'gig' was working an exclusive restaurant in a hotel- wow it was amazing and I was soo surprised they wanted me.

So our members always ask how to get involved in doing restaurant work- and they always want to learn 'restaurant oriented' magic. So it's fun to share information that you know- to people who don't. So in a way- I suppose I'm a coach.

Talk to you later,

Tomasko
Thanks for your comments Tomasko.

Indeed, a mentor is very important when starting out in magic as it keeps you humble and goal-oriented. Norm Nielsen was one of my mentors when I was first starting out in magic.

Ever had any experience teaching (as a magic coach) a non-magician/actor how to perform some 'sleight-of-hand' for a television or movie role?

naturalturn (Ray)

http://www.raywongmagic.com
All the time. Theatres always call me for my stage pyro effects- and when they have a musical or show that has a magician in it they will call me to teach him an illusion. Such as the show Barnum- life of Mr. P T Barnum. Keep in touch! What about you?

Tomasko
This pageant was the first time for me, though I did teach a 1-day magic course at a community centre to youngsters many years ago.

naturalturn
Every month at our local city library- I teach a magic lesson to people of any age. It's kinda neat. Basic concepts of misdirection, and sleight of hand. (basic cups and balls, coin stuff)- gets a good community response.
Message: Posted by: Dr.Maya Baalaamurugaan (Dec 3, 2004 03:28AM)
Ya...... teaching is also a way of learning!!!