(Close Window)
Topic: Other animals
Does anyone else use any other animals besides doves and rabbits? I use goldfish and rabbits and was thinking about using fancy mice in my show. Maybe another small rodent... I have my own party place so I wouldn't bring them for traveling shows. Just wondering what else people used as far as live animals go...
Guinea pigs, snakes, dogs, cats, Lions, Tigers, Mountain Lions.
[quote]On Jul 13, 2016, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Guinea pigs, snakes, dogs, cats, Lions, Tigers, Mountain Lions. [/quote]
You use all those in your show??
I used a hamster once. It bit me.
Kameron, I took your question as being general and not looking for specifics. Bill responded with animals that others have used. He left out ducks, elephants, horses, chickens, parakeets, parrots and macaws. I think the bottom line is that just about any animal can be used. It's just up to your imagination and common sense.
There's a magician that uses an armadillo in his act.
Message: Posted by: Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse (Jul 16, 2016 01:54AM)
What's his name
I think he means the late Parker Swan.

Parker did some great stuff. He was also a "character"! If I remember, at the end of his lecture, he announced that his notes were FREE! Jay Marshall rushed up, and was handed an 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of peper with "musical notes" on it!

His lecture was titled: 'How to Force a Watermelon". (The "big" trick was "finding a card in an impossible location" (a WATERMELON) After the mess of digging into the watermelon, the spectator was given the pieces of watermelon, as a souvenir!

He also had a gag about an armadillo. He had found a stuffed armadillo in a tourist souvenir shop in the Carribean. The armadillo was a "stuffed" dead little beast that had its head "biting its tail". the tail made a crude handle for the body which looked a bit like a basket.

Parker exhibited the "basket" and, described how he planned to get a live armadillo and teach it to hold its tail in its mouth. On cue, the armadillo would let go of its tail, and "come alive". I don't think that he ever found a live armadillo that was either "teachable or trainable"!
[quote]On Jul 14, 2016, Dave Scribner wrote:
Kameron, I took your question as being general and not looking for specifics. Bill responded with animals that others have used. He left out ducks, elephants, horses, chickens, parakeets, parrots and macaws. I think the bottom line is that just about any animal can be used. It's just up to your imagination and common sense. [/quote]

There's a great and funny story about Harry Blackstone (pere) and the DISAPPEARING HORSE! (I wasn't there! George Boston tells about it in his "Inside Magic".)

The horse was led onstage, and, just before he was led into the huge cabinet, the horse did what horses "do", naturally! Someone in the balcony shouted: "OK, Mr magician! Make THAT disappear!" George didn't record what Blackstone said!!!

Circus elephant are "trained" to do "THAT", in the back yard, just before entering the big top for their act. I caught an indoor circus, about 30 years ago in North Dakota. The show was playing in an Armory, on a concrete floor. The young guy, who was the elephant groom, was a "First 'o' May". He had WATERED THE ELEPHANTS (all three of them) BEFORE the show. Just as the act began, one of the "girls" had an "urge". She answered the call of nature! Elephants are social animals! The other two, suddenly had similar "urges"! The circus ring "became" an effective dam!

The performer "working" the act, was ankle deep. Fortunately,the elephant act was the show closer. Following THAT, would have been like TRYING to follow "Garray & Tomio"!!!

I never fed my doves BEFORE the show! (I had a line, if anything "happened" during the act!)
Message: Posted by: Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse (Jul 17, 2016 03:08PM)
I wonder if anyone has used bears
[quote]On Jul 17, 2016, Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse wrote:
I wonder if anyone has used bears [/quote]

Hey Dick, I'll leave this one up to you. You've been in this business a little longer than I have. I can't believe the question was even asked. Maybe we could start using alligators, whales and sea lions. Maybe if we could catch him, we could use big foot. I think he could be classified as an animal LOL

No offense Kyoki. This just seemed to be way out there.
IIRC!!! Harry Blackstone Senior, once used a BEAR (costume) in the closing "double exchange" illusion, that was usually titled "Who wears the whiskers?" in the printed program.

I saw the show a half dozen times in the '40s, and, sometimes it's hard to remember all of the details.

I know that Mr. B. produced a live GOAT in the '30s. I have a photo from one of the souvenir programs. It was the opening trick. Harry showed a big foulard. (In the picture it must 6' square!) He held it in front of himself, It touched the floor. Then, he whipped it away, and the goat was standing there!

BTW...it was a b-dy load. No! It wasn't an invsbl harness!
Hrmnn....just acquired a corn snake and have been pondering ways to humanely include him in the act.
Now you can do the Serpentine Silk, WITHOUT A SILK!
[quote]On Jul 18, 2016, Dick Oslund wrote:
Now you can do the Serpentine Silk, WITHOUT A SILK! [/quote]

LOL, I'll have to work that one out!
It would be a REELly good trick!
[quote]On Jul 18, 2016, Rook wrote:
Hrmnn....just acquired a corn snake and have been pondering ways to humanely include him in the act. [/quote]

I have used snakes in my shows for years. Every one of my kids shows has at least one snake in it. I use both corn snakes and ball pythons as they are the prefect sides for dove pans, circus wagons, duck buckets, etc.

I also use hissing cockroaches, emperor scorpions, tarantulas, and giant millipedes in my programs at various times.

I love them all and they are much easier to travel with than dives and rabbits in my experience.
As a teenager, working in a carnie side show, I did magic, fire eating, and also "lectured on" the big python (about 12 feet). I would have needed a wash tub size dove pan!

I just remembered a magician in California who produced a "handful" of LIVE RATTLESNAKES from a dove pan. He closed the act with that! When the local magic club did a public show, Al always CLOSED THE SHOW. NOBODY could follow him!

His name was Al, and, I can't remember his last name. He was on the cover of GENII in the early '50s. Ha had been one of Jay Marshall's agents, in the NYC area, when Jay was starting out..I met Al when I was playing schools around Bakersfield, California, in the mid '80s. Maybe someone from that area can tell us his name.

I saw him do the dove pan rattlesnake bit in a ring public show. It was a shocker! I think it would have been hilarious to watch him LOADING the FOUR rattlers in the pan!

He invited me to his home to get better acquainted. He had a "den" in his garage, and, we sat there to visit. When I say "den", I mean it! WE were surrounded by cages full of SNAKES! RATTLERS!, a COBRA, a good sized PYTHON, and, of course, a large cage full of mice.

He said that his rattlers often bit him when he did the trick! He was also a herpetologist who did an educational lecture on his "pets". He had performed a 'ductectomy" on the snakes in the dove pan. They "had" no poison. He said that the little beasts would strike, and he would bleed, but their bite was harmless!

That reminds me...Fran Marshall, had a customer, years ago, who used a dove pan to produce snakes. She had a picture, I think it was in one of the KID STUFF BOOKS. The picture shows the guy with dove pan in hand, and a snake.
Y'know, I think I have an old beat-up dove pan laying around somewhere. I wonder how comfortable Ember would be in it...
A large dove pan is perfect for an adult corn snake. I'm using a blizzard corn with dove pan in my show all this summer. Great combination.
Iam thinking to bring my snake in my act. It s big 2.5meter long python and she s quite heavy. If you have any ideas for my big snake will be very appreciated.
Thank you very much in advance.
I know someone who once used the birthday gift surprise with a ball python. Also, I think Tommy James' Library Rabbit Production would suit a snake nicely.
See above, my post for July 19!

I just remembered! It was the late, AL ROBBINS. Al lived to be almost 100!

This thread has certainly had some "interesting" posts!!!!!
Al Robbins....is that the same Al Robbins who was the Banana Man?
No, Richard...That was "A" Robbins! I never did know what his first name was! I never saw "A" live. He and Senor Wences were the "show within the show" in a vaudeville 'history' movie, in the late '40s. I think it was, "I Remember Mama". Dan Dailey starred.

Years later, I got some "dubbed" VHS tapes of "It's Magic", a black & white TV show of the early '50s. Many of the top magicians from the New York area, were on this half hour "local" production. --A. Robbins, Roy Benson, Al Flosso, Fred Keating, et al. It was somewhat like a 'two act, vaudeville'!

The '40s movie had both Robbins, and Wences, doing their acts in a hotel room for the children of "Mama", and Dan Dailey. Robbins didn't have his "train"! It wouldn't "fit" in a hotel room! Wences did his little boy routine (the fist puppet, somewhat like Jay's "Lefty". They were both "#7" (next to closing)acts!!!
I've used button quail - I don't recommend them.
Back in the late 90's, our radio station had a remote at a car dealership. I had just bought an M-Glass and was going to do the white silk to white mouse trick between on-air breaks. It worked perfectly-except...the white mouse jumped off the table. The women screaming and standing on chairs was CLASSIC! I was told to NEVER do a magic trick at a remote. EVER!

Doug
[quote]On Apr 20, 2017, Dougini wrote:
Back in the late 90's, our radio station had a remote at a car dealership. I had just bought an M-Glass and was going to do the white silk to white mouse trick between on-air breaks. It worked perfectly-except...the white mouse jumped off the table. The women screaming and standing on chairs was CLASSIC! I was told to NEVER do a magic trick at a remote. EVER!

Doug [/quote]

The imagery there is hilarious!
...and here I am 8 months later *still* pondering ways to incorporate my corn snake (She's kind of resistant to that dove pan). Hrmn...I already do productions of rabbit, dove, and am working on fish. Perhaps something other than production would be warranted...maybe as a "danger" aspect to one of my escapes...

I'll probably ponder another 8 months...
I was doing a stage show.

I was using button quail for my cups routine because of their size and their very short tail. I had 6, for a second reveal. At home, they were ok, a little nervous.

On stage things got bad. When I first put 3 under the cups, they started jumping and the cups would jump around. Then the three I had stashed away started jumping all over . . . and onto the table. I was panicking trying to catch these little birds as they ran out into the crowd.

I was completely humiliated with the crowd laughing at me. Later found out that the crowd thought it was on purpose and it was "the funniest thing they'ed seen".
[quote]On Apr 20, 2017, KC Cameron wrote:
I was doing a stage show.

I was using button quail for my cups routine because of their size and their very short tail. I had 6, for a second reveal. At home, they were ok, a little nervous.

On stage things got bad. When I first put 3 under the cups, they started jumping and the cups would jump around. Then the three I had stashed away started jumping all over . . . and onto the table. I was panicking trying to catch these little birds as they ran out into the crowd.

I was completely humiliated with the crowd laughing at me. Later found out that the crowd thought it was on purpose and it was "the funniest thing they'ed seen". [/quote]

Good lord, I am sorry to hear about your experience! That said, I can't help but laugh...
My wife used to raise button quail (she also made the smallest omelets ever!). Those little ones can be very skittish. So glad it got played off as part of the act!
Really, you just stuff an animal into a strange environment without any pre training. Horrible actions on your part.
Who said I didn't do pre-training? I didn't. I said they were fine at home. Maybe it is a reflection on you? Always nice to see someone jump to negative conclusions. Bill, perhaps you should inquire more before you insult someone - it is terribly rude and immature.
Here's an idea. How about a monkey production. Use a mini fire cage.
I've seen dogs used and I think Penn and Teller used Madagascar hissing cockroaches for a gig on David Letterman (only use the males in case they get loose).
My competition here uses a monkey production from a fire cage.
[quote]On May 20, 2017, KC Cameron wrote:
My competition here uses a monkey production from a fire cage. [/quote]

Now to see if my wife would let me acquire one! If the whole magic thing goes south for me, I'll just get a crank organ!
...don't think he'd get along with the rabbit, though....or the wife.
It is good in advertising. Not too many have a monkey.
[quote]On May 23, 2017, KC Cameron wrote:
It is good in advertising. Not too many have a monkey. [/quote]

From what I understand of the commitment it entails, there may be good reason for that!
I just acquired a used, extremely sturdy large drawer box on Ebay. It was this awful bright yellow with multicolored star stickers all over it, so I removed the stickers, distressed it a bit, and misted it with a bit of brown paint to darken it up a bit. It's still ugly (which actually works for my presentation), but not garish. The thing is built like a tank and works like a dream.

Okay, the animal part: My snake loves this thing. It's easy to load her in, and she settles in and gets comfortable (heck, I'm even using it as a holding area for her while I clean her cage). Now to flesh out the routine and rehearse her a bit more before going in the act!
Working on this bit where I'm a wannabe superhero who's worked hard and can now manifest, with a great deal of effort, some weaker versions of superpowers (mind-reading, x-ray vision, etc.). Just had this idea of saying, "And now, like Spider-Man..." and conjuring a tarantula.
Sounds cool! From what I've heard, however, Tarantulas can be very easy to injure due to their brittle legs, so be careful!
When I produce my tarantula and scorpion, I keep them each in a clear plastic toothbrush holder - the holes on the end are to small for them to escape but allows plent of airflow also. And they are easily seen when produced. You could also use the clear ornament balls from a craft store which makes a very cool display but be warned - they can and will roll them right of your table if nothing is in their way. Tarantulas are extremely easy to injure if they fall from just a few feet so use caution at all times.

I forget the name of the trick, but I use the silk production used to produce a wine glass - show all three silks separately and then reach into the middle and produce the tarantula and scorpion in their containers. It gets a great reaction.

Hope that helps!

Chad
[quote]On Jul 10, 2017, Chad C. wrote:
When I produce my tarantula and scorpion, I keep them each in a clear plastic toothbrush holder - the holes on the end are to small for them to escape but allows plent of airflow also. And they are easily seen when produced. You could also use the clear ornament balls from a craft store which makes a very cool display but be warned - they can and will roll them right of your table if nothing is in their way. Tarantulas are extremely easy to injure if they fall from just a few feet so use caution at all times. [/quote]

Brilliant idea! Thanks!
Now, if only I can get Mrs. Rook on board with having either in the house...
Get a Rose Hair Tarantula if you want the calmest and easiest to handle. And they are a pretty good size as well. Our female just passed away after almost 30 years.
Get a Rose Hair Tarantula if you want the calmest and easiest to handle. And they are a pretty good size as well. Our female just passed away after almost 30 years. [/quote]

Thanks for the tip!
Alas, my corn snake was to make her debut this Thursday, but she appears to be at the early stages of going through a shed. She's a bit skittish when she's shedding, goes off her feed, and doesn't want to be handled. I won't stress her by putting in the show in that condition, so hopefully, she'll be done shedding by then!
Update: Ember completed her shed, ate well, and performed her debut appearance (from a previously empty box) to gasps and rapturous applause! Also, Mrs. Rook agreed to a tarantula...provided that she doesn't have to pet it and it remains in my study.
Excellent news! Congrats on the debut and the new addition!
[quote]On Jul 16, 2017, Chad C. wrote:
Excellent news! Congrats on the debut and the new addition! [/quote]

Thanks! Spousal approval is one step. As it turns out, actually acquiring one is another issue altogether (truth be known, I only tried one place I knew to have them...but they were out).
Does anyone use or know of a magician that uses a snake in their show? I've used my ball python (over 5 feet long) in my show for 10+ years. I'm interested in learning how others incorporate them into their acts and what tricks they use for it. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!
[quote]On Jul 23, 2017, kippteacher1 wrote:
Does anyone use or know of a magician that uses a snake in their show? I've used my ball python (over 5 feet long) in my show for 10+ years. I'm interested in learning how others incorporate them into their acts and what tricks they use for it. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks! [/quote]

I have used them for my entire career in magic - so around 15 years or so.
Yup, I produce a corn snake from a drawer box. Works like a charm and she likes it in there! A friend of mine used to produce his ball python form a rainbow house.
When I produce my tarantula and scorpion, I keep them each in a clear plastic toothbrush holder - the holes on the end are to small for them to escape but allows plent of airflow also. And they are easily seen when produced. You could also use the clear ornament balls from a craft store which makes a very cool display but be warned - they can and will roll them right of your table if nothing is in their way. Tarantulas are extremely easy to injure if they fall from just a few feet so use caution at all times.

I forget the name of the trick, but I use the silk production used to produce a wine glass - show all three silks separately and then reach into the middle and produce the tarantula and scorpion in their containers. It gets a great reaction.

Hope that helps!

Chad [/quote]

Sounds like "THIS". Bob Sanders will tell you that the concept is hundreds of years old.
I've finally obtained a scorpion *and* a tarantula! They are lovely creatures and the wife is not as terrified of them as she thought she'd be (well, maybe the spider).