(Close Window)
Topic: Gimme' another drink...
Hey guys, I've had issues with my doves "dropping the kids off at the pool" in their water dishes. I replce their water maybe twice a day, but I feel bad for them when one bird may dirty their water and the rest have to deal with it. So I bought one of those like bunny water bottles where all the water is contained inside the plastic bottle. I'm wondering if anybody else gives their birds water this way, I've seen it done with like cockatiels and doves in pet stores, but how long until they figure it out? I don't want to "train" them adn like force ther beak into the water tunnel. Any input?

sperris
I think I saw in "Encyclopedia of Dove Magic" that they recomend that type of water/feeder for just that same reason.. I would watch them and see what happens.
Dan, usually in feed and grain stores, they sell a livestock waterer. It's simply a plastic bottle turned upside down and screwed into a round dish or tray. You can get different sizes. The water feeds into the tray as required. The birds can't get their backsides close enough to the tray to deposit things. You can also make a cone shaped lid to place on top so they can't sit on the bottle. I used this when I kept my doves in a large aviary in my basement.
Dave,
Thatís a neat idea about making a cone shaped lid to place on top so they can't sit on the bottle. Iím making one soon. Thanks.

And I call myself a dove expert, guess you don't get to old to learn new stuff. lol

Tom Boleware
Thanks Tom. It's not my idea though. I learned that tip from Amos Levkovitch. You're never too old to learn.
The cone can be made from stiff cardboard or light poster board.
Lack of sufficient water is probably the number one killer of magic doves. Doves have to dunk their beaks to get sufficient water. Cage waters for parakeets seldom work well because they are only about half an inch deep. I don't recommend the gravity-ball type water at all for doves. You may keep them alive for a while but their health deteriorates quickly.

Since we keep about a hundred doves on hand all the time, watering is work. However, what we use most are plastic bottles with a hole cut in the side so the bird has to stick his head into the bottle through the hole to drink. Getting on top of the bottle can make a messy bottle but does not dirty the water. Dirty bottles are easily replaced. There is no cash outlay. We try to keep the water about 2Ē deep. The water should never be less than .75Ē deep.