(Close Window)
Topic: Have my first lecture today. Any last minute advice? :)
I will be jumping into the fire with my first lecture today. Any words of encouragement or last minute advice is welcome! :)
Stay with your outline.

Most Magic Clubs are filled with hobbyists so do something to impress them but teach something attainable.

Don't teach too many tricks. There is only so much a person can absorb in one sitting and if you teach too much you will not be able to do a thorough or memorable job. Besides, you may do another lecture and those tricks you don't do will still be there.

During the Q & A don't over-answer questions, just a quick explanation is all they are usually seeking. This can be where you wander because you are off of your outline but it is a necessary part of the lecture.

Too late if you haven't got it but have something to sell. Lecturers don't usually get paid much more than performing prices so sales are a big part of it.

Look up, smile and breath. Take a moment to enjoy being in this position and know that everyone there wants you to succeed as much as you want to help them.

Think about your reasons to lecture. To help Magicians. To get a reputation. To Make money. To face a challenge.

Best of luck (you know..., the result of hard work).

-Mary Mowder
You are amazing! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!
Great advice form Mary.
Get video.

-Mary
Don't be deterred. You might not be great at it immediately. No biggie. Push ahead. You were obviously booked to do it because you deserve it.
^ what Danny said.
^ also, what Mary said.
We'd love to hear how it turned out.

-Mary Mowder
I agree. How do we know it was a magic or magic club lecture? I had a different perception myself.
I thought it was going to be on medieval pottery art.

Sorry I take back my encouragement.
For those who are curious, the lecture went REALLY WELL! The turnout wasn't very high (about 10 people) but I think I definately impressed those 10 people haha. Sold some merch (deck switch in particular because NOT 1 PERSON SAW IT! :))and handed out a ton of business cards. Even had a guy from another state come in and recognize me (which is an amazing feeling to know your influence stretches over to other places.) All in all it was an amazing experience and I learned so much! One of my mentors sat in and took notes for me so I will definitely study them as soon as I get the chance this week!

Thank you for the words of encouragement and advice everyone!
So glad it went well!

Having notes from a mentor is a big plus.

Congrat's on the deck switch! That must have felt amazing.

As far as attendance, no man is a prophet in his own land. You are young and if your drive is any indication, in time you'll be lecturing further afield. maybe a person in your Magic community who has a lot of social media connections could help publicize your next event (Magic Store dealer or News-letter editor). Ask for a quote or video quote about your lecture from the most respected Magician who saw it.

Total envy from me for your courage and capability to get it together.

Not bad for a whipper snapper.

-Mary Mowder
Glad it worked out for you.
All of you are awesome! such encouragement! Thank you so much for all the good vibes and encouragement!