(Close Window)
Topic: What's Going On?
How many of you are wondering what is going on with MAGIC? First, everyone registered for MAGIC-Live got an email telling us to bring a CHECK for $35 and now the latest issue of MAGIC Magazine ha an ad with a picture of a candle asking “How Will It All End?”. The link in the ad led to this photo. Let’s talk about this…what does it all mean?
Looks like the $35 deposit was to reserve the final 25 issues on Magic Magazine. More details at http://www.magicmagazine.com/w/legacy/
I wonder what this means for people who just recently renewed their subscription ?
I believe that you will receive a $5 credit toward your new subscription to MAGIC Legacy. Contact MAGIC Magazine to be sure.
I believe it's $5 credit per remaining issue.
From the Legacy site:

[i]All the issues you are owed of MAGIC will be fulfilled with Legacy issues. If you wish to subscribe to the complete set of Legacy, we will apply the balance of your MAGIC payment to a Legacy subscription (at the current price offered), crediting you $5 for each issue of MAGIC you are owed. (International prices will be adjusted to allow for higher postage costs.)[/i]
Sorry to see "MAGIC" end. I've been onboard as a subscriber since 1985, when Stan was publishing a tiny newsletter, and I'm on the list for the final HOORAH!

FWIW
This is very sad as MAGIC has brought so much pleasure to us magicians for a quarter of a century! However I have confidence that Stan Allen has made the decision that feels right for him at this time. I guess the old saying 'all good things must come to an end' is very true.

May I ask for those of us who have subscribed to the digital version since its inception, will we still be able to access all our paid-for issues online? Is there some way we will be able to store it offline or will we continue to be able to access it from the app?

I wish Stan and the MAGIC team the very best as they move into the future with a new direction - and thanks for everything you've done for magic through MAGIC!
I was one of the original subscribers since Stan started the magazine. I even bound the first six years for my reference library. Oh my! What to do, what to do? Shed a tear for the loss of an old friend......
[quote]On Aug 17, 2016, magicbern wrote:
This is very sad as MAGIC has brought so much pleasure to us magicians for a quarter of a century! However I have confidence that Stan Allen has made the decision that feels right for him at this time. I guess the old saying 'all good things must come to an end' is very true.

May I ask for those of us who have subscribed to the digital version since its inception, will we still be able to access all our paid-for issues online? Is there some way we will be able to store it offline or will we continue to be able to access it from the app?

I wish Stan and the MAGIC team the very best as they move into the future with a new direction [/quote]

I too began my subscription with those early newsletters and still have them' I hope someone can answer the above question re ongoing access to the digital issues or possible downloading of these issues.

- and thanks for everything you've done for magic through MAGIC!
Its sad Magic magazine is ending, but its hard to be in the magazine industry these days. I had subscribed maybe 25 years ago and am slowly getting back into wanting to learn magic and was just wondering if I should get Magic or Genii. I think this decides it. I am sorry to see it go but maybe they will reform later into an online only resource.
Now that Steve Brooks put out the PM announcement, I guess it is pretty clear what is going on. I went ahead and grabbed the Early bird subscription right away $140 for all 25 and got an instant notification that my copy of Square One will be sent (so I made the first 10,000 which may not be hard as I think it said they only have 20,000 subscribers currently if I read it correctly).

I have enjoyed a copy now and again thru the years but never subscribed (except for a short time online). It looks as if there will be some extra perks to the final 25 (like free trick card decks and other exclusives I read) The best part is that you can pay $35 now and there will be 3 more $35 payments over three separate months next year to lock in the Early Bird which is great for someone like me on a tighter budget.
This is exciting! I subscribed. I am looking forward to seeing what makes the cut now that there are only 25 left. This is a game changer.
I subscribed during the "soft opening" and was pleased to see that with credit for the many remaining issues on my subscription, it really didn't cost me that much to renew through the end of Legacy. Plus they're sending loot! I love loot!
I just subscribed to the Magic Legacy 25-issue run. This should be fun!

- Brett
This is a very interesting way to end the run and though I was never a subscriber in the past I am now. I hope that the final 25 are as great as they sound liek they may be.
Message: Posted by: The Mysterious One (Aug 28, 2016 11:34AM)
I dare say that I am excited to. I have been a subscriber for 14+ years. I am also wondering about what will happen to the digital magazines once Magic Magazine shuts its doors. I sent an email out to Magic Magazine and Stan. If I get any word from Stan or someone else in the know at Magic Magazine, I will let ya'll know.
I too got the earlybird hype for my copy of square one
Here's a link to a video on the iTricks site where Stan talks about what's going on:
http://itricks.com/news/2016/08/stan-allen-explains-life-after-magic-magazine/
Message: Posted by: The Mysterious One (Aug 29, 2016 10:39PM)
Everyone,

I heard back from Tess from Magic Magazine Digital Support today. Concerning the digital issues, I asked via email: "With Magic Magazine going away, will I be able to access those digital magazines that I own? Also, are there any plans to convert the digital magazines to downloadable PDFs for subscribers so one can access these magazines years from now? As you can tell, I really don’t want to lose my purchased digital magazines.... "

Here is an excerpt of her very kind response via email:

"Thank you for your kind words and for joining us for the Legacy issues! As of right now we do not have any plans to turn the digital issues into a PDF. However, not to worry! They will continue to be available online. If there comes a point in time when we will be turning off the digital issues you will receive plenty of notice."

Just wanted to let you know an update from someone directly involved with Magic Magazine.

Good magic to all....

Sean
As of last December, MAGIC magazine had a circulation of just over 5,000. This information is printed in the magazine per government regulations for those who use 2nd class periodical mail.

And ... I also signed up for the 25 issues of MAGIC Legacy.
They're offering a free copy of "Square One" as a bonus for "the first 10,000 to subscribe." If the circulation of MAGIC was just over 5,000, then I like my odds of getting the free book!
I purchased mine.
MAGIC was my first magazine I bought many years ago at Barry's Magic Shop here in MD (sadly, closed...)

I was "Hooked"!

Barry was amazing and as a bonus to my amazement, he gave me a copy of MAGIC.

That feeling of excitement is a great feeling so I am again excited for this.

Looking forward to it with excitement! :)
I just signed myself too
This is a great marketing plan and while the run may be truly ending, I must say I am reminded of Cher's farewell concert . . . all 8 of them. Regardless, I'm signed up!
Just got my copy of Square One in the mail today.
Me too. I had almost forgot it was coming. :-) good timing though, I am a little east of Pittsburgh and there are thunderstorm warnings for tonight so I will be reading thru it instead of watching TV.
A nice read, wide assortment of effects but the Essay's are awesome and still hold true today (possibly even more). I can't wait until the "Legacy Volumes" come out.
[quote]On Sep 10, 2016, Poof-Daddy wrote:
Me too. I had almost forgot it was coming. :-) good timing though, I am a little east of Pittsburgh and there are thunderstorm warnings for tonight so I will be reading thru it instead of watching TV. [/quote]

I'm west of Pittsburgh (right next to the airport), saving the book for later this week. I'm still going thru the stuff from the Michael Ammar lecture from last week.
Bummer news about Legacy, I'm sad. I was a new subscriber, and really looking forward to it.
I literally subscribed the day before Legacy was announced. So the product I ordered doesn't exist anymore and I now have to give them more than double what I paid to get something, which I pay them grudgingly, and now they announce that it's not happening at all. Bummer doesn't even begin to describe it.
I was a newbie myself, and subscribed to Legacy. Disappointed as well. For those wondering what we're talking about, see the video here: http://www.magicmagazine.com/w/
Same here. Glad I didn't pay it all in advance!
[quote]On Sep 23, 2016, schramek wrote:
Same here. Glad I didn't pay it all in advance! [/quote]

Why? We are getting full refunds.
This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang but a whimper.
I haven't subscribed to MAGIC for many years. I was looking forward to this. Too bad more of the magic community didn't support it.
I wouldn't be concerned about the refund being delayed. Give the guy a chance. He's always been honest with us. I imagine he's really hurting over this decision, while realizing that it had to be made.
I have every confidence that Stan will provide the promised refund. And I would be willing to trade my refund for a digital archive of the full run of the magazine on DVD. That would be a great legacy!
Yes, it would be great if the entire collection could be offered as a download. Something not tied to a web service. Of course, the problem with that is piracy.
Major bummer that he was not able to pull it off, but delivering the news in person via a video lessened the blow a bit. I wonder what it would have taken to make it a go.
Too bad, I'm really sorry to hear this... I was also so much looking forward to this project... I was under the impression that the response to Legacy at Magic Live was overwhelming ... apparently not so... :( :(
[quote]On Sep 24, 2016, manananmaclir wrote:
Major bummer that he was not able to pull it off, but delivering the news in person via a video lessened the blow a bit. I wonder what it would have taken to make it a go. [/quote]
More interest from the magic community.

The money will now be going toward an upcoming trip
Well, at least we are getting a refund since it didn't get off the ground. Plus the free "Square One". I wondered too how they were going to pull it off after someone posted that their sub base was only 5000 (plus whatever sold as single purchases in magic shops) but I figured Magicians would clamor to offer up some great magic effect if only to be a "part of the Legacy" so it could possibly only be a matter of sorting, editing and printing. However, this takes both time and money and I guess there wasn't enough to project that they could fill it. I give them high props for being honest and offering a refund.

On the other hand, I see a great idea being put out there by a few. Why not offer a Digital Copy of every magazine they ever published as a DRM protected download? Kind of the way L&Lepub put all of "their books" into PDF format and offer them for pennies on the dollar now. I would certainly be interested in entertaining the idea of getting the "whole bundle" on a DVD in PDF format for a one time price (or a piecemeal system) although, I would have to have it where I had "my own copies" (not a web based service that could go away with all my issues) plus the fact that if I have "my copies" I can read them offline at my convenience.

Certainly an idea they should at least look into. :-)
I tried to sign up a week or 2 ago... But the website gave me a server error during the payment.

Of course I emailed Stan, and the webmaster address on the Legacy site to ask them to confirm whether or not I was subscribed.
Now I can see in my bank that the payment amount has gone to them, but I've not received any confirmation emails or any reply's to my emails.

I hope they've got me registered in their database for a refund!
Anyone have any contact details for magicmagazine I could try?
[quote]On Sep 25, 2016, sjrw wrote:
Anyone have any contact details for magicmagazine I could try? [/quote]

I used subscribe@magicmagazine.com and received a reply.
Thanks for the tip!
I've received a reply now... All sorted.
Still waiting for refund, but got my Square One...
[quote]On Sep 27, 2016, MagieFraudster wrote:
Still waiting for refund, but got my Square One... [/quote]

From the FAQ section of Magic Magazine's website.

"When will I receive my refund?

We’re starting with the Legacy refunds, which should be completed on our end by October 10th. A few extra days may be required for mail service or credit card processing time. As soon as your refund is processed, we will send you an email to let you know the details.

MAGIC Magazine refunds will be processed in November."
The MAGIC Magazine crew obviously didn't plan to be issuing a pile of refunds this fall, and is busy coping with the end of a dream and the task of wrapping things up and saying goodbye in one issue. I, for one, am willing to patiently wait for my refund. They've earned my trust and gratitude.
Well, I was a subscriber for a few years to MAGIC, but I don't see this turnaround on the 'LEGACY' issues quite as forgivingly as most. Look, they made a plan, even with multi-stage pricing for subscribers. If they had said in the beginning, "Look, we need this many sign ups in order to ensure this rollout," I would be more understanding. Hey, do it in a "Gofundme.com" way if need be, but don't promise something that you're not sure you can deliver. I get enough of that, and it seems more and more commonplace in the magic community. I had seen the offer a month ago, finally remembered the "early bird pricing," and had even planned on adding a second subscription as a gift for a mentor of mine; then found an error message. Emailing the magazine gave me the response that they were not going through with it. Yes, I know things happen, but this backpedaling could have been avoided.

My mantra for many years-- "let your 'yes' be 'yes,' let your 'no' be 'no.' Seems not many have the same.
[quote]On Sep 27, 2016, MagieFraudster wrote:
Still waiting for refund, but got my Square One... [/quote]

Mine hit my bank account this morning. That was actually faster than I had anticipated. Naturally, I immediately spent some of it by ordering Issue 301. Guess I'll wander over to the "For Sale" section here to see how I can dispose of the rest.
[quote]On Sep 29, 2016, stempleton wrote:
Well, I was a subscriber for a few years to MAGIC, but I don't see this turnaround on the 'LEGACY' issues quite as forgivingly as most. Look, they made a plan, even with multi-stage pricing for subscribers. If they had said in the beginning, "Look, we need this many sign ups in order to ensure this rollout," I would be more understanding. Hey, do it in a "Gofundme.com" way if need be, but don't promise something that you're not sure you can deliver. I get enough of that, and it seems more and more commonplace in the magic community. I had seen the offer a month ago, finally remembered the "early bird pricing," and had even planned on adding a second subscription as a gift for a mentor of mine; then found an error message. Emailing the magazine gave me the response that they were not going through with it. Yes, I know things happen, but this backpedaling could have been avoided.

My mantra for many years-- "let your 'yes' be 'yes,' let your 'no' be 'no.' Seems not many have the same. [/quote]

I have not read much less subscribed to a magic periodical in a decade. I used to read Magic all the time so when this came out I actually subscribed. I actually agree with your point on why announce it and make it such a big deal if you don't know if it can be done? That is very disappointing.

If you are not certain it will roll out then they need to say that before anyone subscribes. BEFORE you take money, regardless if you are refunding it or not. I just wish it was handled differently.

This type of thing is far to common now I agree.
[quote]On Sep 29, 2016, stempleton wrote:
I don't see this turnaround on the 'LEGACY' issues quite as forgivingly as most.[/quote]

Yeah, I guess it wasn't really thought out, but I don't see it as a really big deal. I'm not sure why a large number of new subscribers would be expected, and certainly that requirement wasn't mentioned when the pitch was made. I don't recall any call for new subscribers, either (although perhaps it was pushed here or in the other magazines and I missed it). I'm surprised that no one thought of the crowd funding idea that you bring up, as that would stand a far better chance of succeeding than would hoping that people who don't buy the magazine at the regular price will now jump all over it at a substantially higher price.

Still, it sounded like a really nice vision. I am sorry for those involved that they will be unable to make it happen, so the process of ordering and then getting a very prompt refund isn't bothering me. We're a relatively small community. Stuff happens. There are far bigger things to be angry about.
[quote]On Oct 1, 2016, MJE wrote:
There are far bigger things to be angry about. [/quote]

Not angry. Just summing up the prevalent standard we seem to accept in this day and age.
[quote]On Oct 1, 2016, stempleton wrote:
[/quote]Not angry. Just summing up the prevalent standard we seem to accept in this day and age. [/quote]

You're right. That thing about not being as forgiving as others led me to that, I guess. It's very true that things like this are becoming the norm. It's like so many other situations where something inconvenient happens and it seems irritatingly unusual. Then it happens again. And again. Soon, we get used to it. It goes on in magic, too.

If you've been in magic for a while, you've seen the move from buying actual items to buying DIY projects that are sold, not as a book, but are sold as an actual prop or trick. It was irritating at first, but now it's almost expected .... to the point that a few items have come out recently that don't even bother to mention it in the ad copy!