(Close Window)
Topic: Psience - Michael Weber
Message: Posted by: VIEW (Aug 27, 2016 12:03PM)
The first electronic copy of this has arrived.

The initial effect, The Triangle, is underwhelming. It reads to be an over worked and thought 'name and place' routine.

Others who have ordered this - am I being too hard on it? The routine reads like a throwaway filler article in a magic magazine.

Keen to hear how others like it. Hopefully it will improve.
Message: Posted by: VIEW (Aug 27, 2016 12:49PM)
Ps - I'm referring to 'the works' released to psience subscribers.
Message: Posted by: the Sponge (Aug 27, 2016 06:16PM)
What about your box of stuff? It wasn't amazing?
Message: Posted by: MikeTheRed (Aug 28, 2016 12:40PM)
In my humble :) opinion, I believe you are being a bit too hard. Think more big picture -- where this is all headed -- enjoy the journey/enjoy the destination type stuff. This is a small part of a larger whole that will unfold over time. It is more about making us better performers than teaching some revolutionary new secret. Now having written that last sentence, the initial effect I believe offers some unique ideas that will improve anyone's current "name and place" routine.

Plus we get a box of "cool stuff!"

I would be happy to discuss in greater detail via PM.

All the best,

Mike
Message: Posted by: VIEW (Aug 28, 2016 04:43PM)
[quote]On Aug 28, 2016, Michael J Redd wrote:
In my humble :) opinion, I believe you are being a bit too hard. Think more big picture -- where this is all headed -- enjoy the journey/enjoy the destination type stuff. This is a small part of a larger whole that will unfold over time. It is more about making us better performers than teaching some revolutionary new secret. Now having written that last sentence, the initial effect I believe offers some unique ideas that will improve anyone's current "name and place" routine.

Plus we get a box of "cool stuff!"

I would be happy to discuss in greater detail via PM.

All the best,

Mike [/quote]

Hi mike

Cool - life to chat to you.

But honestly I see this as a big step back in n&p. Discarding to a wallet makes no sense to me. But perhaps just me?
Message: Posted by: Medifro (Aug 29, 2016 04:10AM)
Its Real Secrets all over again :)
Message: Posted by: Orlan (Aug 31, 2016 08:43PM)
At the beginning of the writing, he mentions this is part of a three phase routine, so it will probably make more sense as the other two phases are revealed. As a stand alone piece, it leaves a few holes you have to fill on your own to make it a stronger piece.

I ran into Michael at the Session Convention, and he tipped this as part of a longer routine (it was a lobby conversation with a small group, not part of his lecture). If the upcoming phases are similar to what I remember, it wraps up nicely and both spectators get a nice reveal. (It might or might not involve a fortune cookie prediction for the other spectator ;) ).
Message: Posted by: magicowner (Sep 1, 2016 01:04PM)
I am looking forward to the next 2 phases!
Message: Posted by: VIEW (Sep 2, 2016 02:25PM)
Yes hopefully the whole thing will be good when it comes together.

But - isn't it a bit lazy? Shouldn't they have a full routine every instalment? It feels like they've sold us three fly and are only showing us the first movement. I don't get it.

Also - the original cassidy name and place routine, which this is certainly based on/inspired by - is far better in comparison.

Wow, I sound like a real grump!
Message: Posted by: Aaron Smith (Sep 3, 2016 08:46AM)
I actually liked the first effect. Love the way its presented too. Received my box today and I'm very intrigued to find out how it all fits together.
Message: Posted by: The Hermit (Sep 3, 2016 09:17AM)
[quote]On Aug 28, 2016, Michael J Redd wrote:
In my humble :) opinion, I believe you are being a bit too hard. Think more big picture -- where this is all headed -- enjoy the journey/enjoy the destination type stuff. This is a small part of a larger whole that will unfold over time. It is more about making us better performers than teaching some revolutionary new secret. Now having written that last sentence, the initial effect I believe offers some unique ideas that will improve anyone's current "name and place" routine.

Plus we get a box of "cool stuff!"

I would be happy to discuss in greater detail via PM.

All the best,

Mike [/quote]

If you're paying for the journey, it's nice to understand what you're paying for.
Message: Posted by: Christopher_Rawlins (Sep 12, 2016 01:29PM)
I'm on board with The Works.

I thoroughly enjoyed learning the first offering and I'm eager to learn from every subsequent offering.

Aside from the smart effect within the first issue, I can honestly say that one simple note within the pages is being applied in all my performances since my initial reading.

The box contains diabolical secrets and I'm excited to see how they are applied.

This is an opportunity to learn from the true masters.

I'm excited an you should be too.

Christopher.
Message: Posted by: newguy (Dec 8, 2016 11:33PM)
View, I have performed Cassidy's name place for years (since the VHS came out!) and I like this better for a few reasons:

I can stay on stage the whole time

No folding of the cards (why?)

I never touch the cards

No fire, burning or tearing up cards

The reveal is visual and audible

And now that we see how all the pieces tie together, nothing goes to waste.
Message: Posted by: jaizon (Dec 11, 2016 12:39PM)
Michael Weber is a fantastic mentalist. That's why I signed on. But without going into detail in a public forum, I am a bit underwhelmed at the moment (4 installments in hand).
Message: Posted by: Tim Cavendish (Dec 11, 2016 01:05PM)
Michael Weber is undeniably a brilliant mentalist.

He's also friends with Ricky Jay, whose contempt for hobbyist magicians is legendary. Ricky simply shuns them.

Michael Weber sells to hobbyists, but I think to a certain degree he shares Ricky's feelings and, in my view, those feelings are manifested in his commercial dealings with the hobbyists.
Message: Posted by: newguy (Dec 15, 2016 01:08AM)
Tim, how so?

Was he rude to you or did he sell you something that was not a good trick?
Message: Posted by: VIEW (Dec 18, 2016 07:29AM)
Yes, after all this time, I continue to be disappointed.

Not professional grade material at all.
Message: Posted by: DynaMix (Dec 30, 2016 12:50AM)
I really do hope this isn't a case of a professional manifesting his contempt for us mere mortals by selling us crap. That seems unnecessarily cruel. I am a bit underwhelmed as most seem to be but I fully admit I haven't tried anything live yet.
I do find the format to be off putting as well. The structure of the instructions jumps around a bit too much for my tastes.
The package itself is very intriguing I think.
Message: Posted by: GusVanNostrum (Mar 27, 2017 05:01AM)
No updates since last installment? Is this dead now?
Message: Posted by: jaizon (Mar 31, 2017 06:11PM)
We were promised one installment a month, for twelve months, as I remember. I have received nothing since January 4th. This is no way to treat customers who spent $350 on this product. Quite disappointed at the moment.
Message: Posted by: John C (Apr 12, 2017 03:41PM)
[quote]On Sep 2, 2016, VIEW wrote:
Yes hopefully the whole thing will be good when it comes together.

But - isn't it a bit lazy? Shouldn't they have a full routine every instalment? It feels like they've sold us three fly and are only showing us the first movement. I don't get it.

Also - the original cassidy name and place routine, which this is certainly based on/inspired by - is far better in comparison.

Wow, I sound like a real grump! [/quote]

Yes! to the grump part. Maybe you're not, but sound like one.
Message: Posted by: John C (Apr 12, 2017 03:45PM)
[quote]On Dec 11, 2016, Tim Cavendish wrote:
Michael Weber is undeniably a brilliant mentalist.

He's also friends with Ricky Jay, whose contempt for hobbyist magicians is legendary. Ricky simply shuns them.

Michael Weber sells to hobbyists, but I think to a certain degree he shares Ricky's feelings and, in my view, those feelings are manifested in his commercial dealings with the hobbyists. [/quote]

How did you arrive at this conclusion? I bought two great items at mindvention. I used to be a pro. Now an amateur, always a hobbyist.
Message: Posted by: newguy (Dec 5, 2017 08:08PM)
Are you guys confusing The Works (a kit) with The Journal of Psience (a digital magazine)?

I just got another issue of Psience today so they have delivered on the six promised issues and one or two of the promised bonus issues.

I think we may have one bonus left for Volume One.
Message: Posted by: Mac_Stone (Dec 6, 2017 09:22AM)
We were promised much more than just six issues, there are certainly many more props in the box to fill many more issues. Also, I believe there was only one bonus item promised for early subscribers.

I have been very satisfied with the material as it arrives, but like everyone I am a little more than disappointed with the way distribution in being handled.

That being said I'm fairly confident that the gentlemen in charge will fulfill their obligations in their entirety, eventually...

Assuming we reach a satisfactory conclusion I would sign up for another future installment.
Message: Posted by: Mac_Stone (Dec 6, 2017 11:29AM)
[quote]On Dec 6, 2017, Mac_Stone wrote:
We were promised much more than just six issues, there are certainly many more props in the box to fill many more issues. Also, I believe there was only one bonus item promised for early subscribers.

I have been very satisfied with the material as it arrives, but like everyone I am a little more than disappointed with the way distribution in being handled.

That being said I'm fairly confident that the gentlemen in charge will fulfill their obligations in their entirety, eventually...

Assuming we reach a satisfactory conclusion I would sign up for another future installment. [/quote]


It seems I was confused. There was a release yesterday for The Journal of Psience not The Works, for which we are still owed several issues.

This thread however should remain on the topic of The Works and not Psience.
Message: Posted by: John C (Dec 9, 2017 09:06PM)
I too received my psciense new idea. I don't know how many are included in the $150
Message: Posted by: jaizon (Dec 10, 2017 03:48PM)
Works #8 was delivered on Friday. It is delivered by Psienece. There are still 4 more due. This has not been the quality of effects I expected from Mr. Weber. I do not know about the Journal of Psience material, I expect that they may be completely different.
Message: Posted by: Dandin (Dec 30, 2017 03:59PM)
I think that weber his better at inventing magic effect than inventing mind reading effect. To invent a convincing mind reading effect you need to think like a real mind reader.
Usually the effect will be very simple like a thought that moves from one mind to another.
Message: Posted by: John C (Dec 30, 2017 05:40PM)
[quote]On Dec 10, 2017, jaizon wrote:
Works #8 was delivered on Friday. It is delivered by Psienece. There are still 4 more due. This has not been the quality of effects I expected from Mr. Weber. I do not know about the Journal of Psience material, I expect that they may be completely different. [/quote]


I agree. Not too impressed with what I received so far. I would rather have spent $150 on one good solid item.
Message: Posted by: Dandin (Dec 30, 2017 07:05PM)
I am sure that you can find strong material that no one else is doing in books that you already have.
Message: Posted by: DynaMix (Jan 3, 2018 01:19PM)
What makes it worse is the constant hawking of expensive effects IN THE MIDDLE of the delayed Psience effects.
Message: Posted by: newguy (Feb 1, 2018 04:12PM)
Offering a $20 item that is exclusive to them, or special admittance to a secret show at Houdini's old home?

If offers like that bother you, you can always just delete the email.
Message: Posted by: Tim Cavendish (Feb 3, 2018 03:56PM)
[quote]On Dec 30, 2017, John C wrote:
[quote]On Dec 10, 2017, jaizon wrote:
This has not been the quality of effects I expected from Mr. Weber.[/quote]
I agree. Not too impressed with what I received so far.[/quote]
I was massively underwhelmed by Weber/Trono's Real Secrets, so decided to learn from that experience and skip both The Works and Psience.
Message: Posted by: Markymark (Feb 4, 2018 08:16AM)
Me too. I wanted to like it as it was a great idea but the same idea over and over put me off.
Message: Posted by: newguy (Feb 6, 2018 08:52PM)
"Repetition is the mother of learning, the father of action,and the architect of accomplishment.
Message: Posted by: John C (Feb 14, 2018 11:29AM)
[quote]On Feb 6, 2018, newguy wrote:
"Repetition is the mother of learning, the father of action,and the architect of accomplishment. [/quote]


So why don't babies continue to fall when they get up and try to walk? Even they understand Einstein's theory of insanity.
Message: Posted by: newguy (Feb 14, 2018 07:24PM)
John C,

The comment above, "a great idea but the same idea over and over put me off" is what prompted my response.

My experience suggests that we all stop thinking too soon. One way to overcome this standardized "I already know that" complacency is
to force ourselves to go back and reexamine the things we believe we already "know."

Real Secrets, The Works and Psience have many innovative developments and discoveries with classics like The Trick that Fooled Einstein, The Impenetrable Secret, and more. Every time they changed it up with a new set of objects, a new story, new procedures and new effects.

I have spoken to others on both sides of the fence, but any time I met someone who felt like Markymark, I would show them one of the items I learned and they would always respond with "Now THAT'S the kind of thing I like! Why didn't they send us material like that?"

We can never cross the same river twice.
Message: Posted by: rickreation (Jan 22, 2019 11:30AM)
Did Michael Weber shut down Pscience? It seems the website is down.
Message: Posted by: newguy (Jan 23, 2019 02:11PM)
No,

They just are selling through the website any more.

I just got a new issue of The Works so Psience should be next.
Message: Posted by: Sudo Nimh (Jan 27, 2019 10:05PM)
[quote]On Feb 14, 2018, newguy wrote:

My experience suggests that we all stop thinking too soon. One way to overcome this standardized "I already know that" complacency is to force ourselves to go back and reexamine the things we believe we already "know."[/quote]

This. :)
Message: Posted by: Steven Leung (May 28, 2019 07:05AM)
The web site is not working, so only subscribers will get updates and new release info in that case...
Message: Posted by: Tony Venetico (Jul 13, 2019 11:05AM)
I just got an email from Pscience inviting me to buy The Works for $400. Reading this post tells me to save my money - thank you everyone for your honesty!!
Message: Posted by: John C (Jul 13, 2019 06:34PM)
I thought it was $150 last time
Message: Posted by: illusioneer (Jul 15, 2019 10:18PM)
I also read of the hiccups that happened, however, I ordered and within a day was promptly delivered everything up and to this point (meaning instructions and props are on their way currently.)

I have a feeling those may be famous last words but from what Ive read so far in the series - I consider it a worthy investment.
Message: Posted by: Mac_Stone (Jul 19, 2019 09:54PM)
I'm a fan.