(Close Window)
Topic: Good Quality Mastermind Deck
I have purchased three Mastermind decks over the past few years and all three are garbage quality. For nearly $30 per deck, these should (IMHO) be high quality cards that can be fanned and spread smoothly. Instead the feel and handle like junk cards from some kiddie magic set. Does anyone have a reference to a manufacturer of a good quality Mastermind deck? I truly love what can be done with this deck, but can't justify using such cr#%+y cards in my professional work. Any help would be much appreciated.
Yeah, same here. Spent a lot of money myself on those decks only to never use them.
Obviously there's something wrong with their printing process. I have Position Impossible by
Brent Braun and that deck is similar to Mastermind but smooth and slick like a reg bicycle deck.
[quote]On Sep 10, 2016, Andrew Masters wrote:
Yeah, same here. Spent a lot of money myself on those decks only to never use them.
Obviously there's something wrong with their printing process. I have Position Impossible by
Brent Braun and that deck is similar to Mastermind but smooth and slick like a reg bicycle deck. [/quote]

Thanks Andrew. I will check it out. As for the Mastermind, not only is it a junk quality deck, it's only available in red. What's that all about? Anyway, I'm done with that deck and will look at "Position Impossible."
It looks like position impossible is out of stock but I read that Brent is working on another run
A little zinc stearate fixed my Mastermind.
Position Impossible by Bent Braun is awesome; I have one and plan on getting a back up when the second run is ready in November. I also own Mastermind and can tell you that Position Impossible is much better. However, I believe that Position Impossible is also only available in red.
[quote]On Sep 3, 2016, BAGWIZ wrote:
Does anyone have a reference to a manufacturer of a good quality Mastermind deck? I truly love what can be done with this deck, but can't justify using such cr#%+y cards in my professional work. Any help would be much appreciated. [/quote]

The deck that comes with Wayne Houchin's "Influence" is really good in my opinion. Made by Theory 11 and with blue back, which is not very usual.
The deck now comes with bicycle backs. Does that mean that the quality is OK now?
Cardshark recently released it in Phoenix red backs: http://www.card-shark.de/ (the URL parser doesn't work correctly, so choose "Online store" -> "New releases" and you should see it).
Don't have it, but I'm assuming it should be better quality than the Bicycle backs that apparently don't spread well.
Is this here about MASTERMIND DECK or MIND POWER DECK?
These are 2 different things!
[quote]On Jan 31, 2017, CardMaker wrote:
Is this here about MASTERMIND DECK or MIND POWER DECK?
These are 2 different things! [/quote]
Looks like I mixed them up, oops!
Sorry!
Good point Orlan ...
the Mind Power Deck is excellent quality, and increasing in value all the time.
You will be hard pushed to find anyone selling this deck.

Presently retailing at £40+ in the UK ...
Just purchased Mastermind yesterday (red bicycle). It feels pretty darn good to me.
My Bike Masterminds has to be "zinc'd" as well.
Seems the quality is hit and miss. The borders are my biggest concern. I have seen some way off, and not consistent.
Does anyone know of anyone selling Position Impossible? I know Penguin is out and I understand they 'might' have some in next month.. Thanks in advance..
Position Impossible is back in stock.
Position Impossible is the way to go.
Position Impossible is high quality, but I’d still like to get my hands on a good quality Mastermind deck. It’s ridiculous the decks currently on the market are so hit and miss. We shouldn’t have to pay so much for a deck and then have to “zinc” them to make them spread/fan properly.
Granted, but treating a deck with fanning powder takes only five minutes. Did it to a MM deck myself recently. Put only a pinch in a bag. Shake about ten cards at a time for about ten seconds while holding bag closed. Repeat with other bunches of cards till done. Deck will spread normally. DO NOT BREATHE THE POWDER. Reportedly it is very unhealthy. Seal bag and dispose of it.
Maybe there's a way to fix a Mastermind deck. But the point is that they should be able to fan and spread properly out of the box, just like other decks.

Something is seriously wrong with the quality if they won't perform properly unless you do a custom fix first. This is the main reason that has held me back from buying one until now.
I just purchased 3 packs of Chris Kenworthey's Mastermind decks from Alakazam Magic and all three are perfect. Feel and handle like any new Bicycle deck.
[quote]On May 18, 2021, isaacfawlkes wrote:
I just purchased 3 packs of Chris Kenworthey's Mastermind decks from Alakazam Magic and all three are perfect. Feel and handle like any new Bicycle deck. [/quote]

Please let us know if the cards retain their Bicycle quality handling after several uses. My deck worked like a dream until I hit about 10 -15 performances with it.