(Close Window)
Topic: Cube Cards by Kev G
Cube cards by Kev G is the latest release from Saturn Magic http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/new-magic/saturn-magic-presents-cube-cards-by-kev-g.html

It will also be available from http://www.tejinaya.com in Japan.

"A wonderful routine that’s easy to do and excellent for table hopping” Takamiz Usul

“A logical and brilliant routine using only 1 cube that’s perfect for close-up” Kieron Johnson

“If you want to make your audiences eyes pop out of their heads, you NEED this trick!” Mark Elsdon

Whether you’re a beginner or an expert in Rubik’s Cube Magic, Cube Cards is the ideal routine to add to your repertoire.

It’s perfect for close-up or parlour as it connects with your audience, comes full circle and contains 4 eye popping moments of magic including matches, changes and solves!
Shame that it doesn't come with the speed cube as well since there are so many different variations of speed cubes
[quote]On Sep 28, 2016, wulfie66 wrote:
Shame that it doesn't come with the speed cube as well since there are so many different variations of speed cubes [/quote]

Any speed cube will do as long as the colours are standard, on the tutorial Kev shows and talks about various cubes.

They are very cheap on eBay etc so it did not make sense for use to supply one, it would only push the price up with all the shop and wholesale margins that would have to go on the cost of the cube.

Also a lot of people already own a cube and would not be pleased paying a higher price to get another.

It's one of those things we can't win really but just look on eBay you can get a good speed cube for less and £5.
Curious why you could not show the routine on the video?
I agree - no need to include a cube.

This looks like a nice way to extend a cube-solving routine and I have just pre-ordered.

Perhaps it's a bit cheeky to suggest that you don't have to learn how to solve a cube - one error and you're scuppered for life!

Mike
[quote]On Sep 28, 2016, Michael Daniels wrote:

This looks like a nice way to extend a cube-solving routine and I have just pre-ordered.

Perhaps it's a bit cheeky to suggest that you don't have to learn how to solve a cube - one error and you're scuppered for life!

Mike [/quote]

Hi Mike

Thanks for pre-ordering! It's true you don't need to be able to legitimately solve the cube, but if you make a mistake it is advantageous if you can. On the tutorial I explain a method to solve the cube without having to remember any algorithms.
[quote]On Sep 28, 2016, Saturn UK wrote:
Shame that it doesn't come with the speed cube as well since there are so many different variations of speed cubes [/quote]

Any speed cube will do as long as the colours are standard, on the tutorial Kev shows and talks about various cubes.

They are very cheap on eBay etc so it did not make sense for use to supply one, it would only push the price up with all the shop and wholesale margins that would have to go on the cost of the cube.

Also a lot of people already own a cube and would not be pleased paying a higher price to get another.

It's one of those things we can't win really but just look on eBay you can get a good speed cube for less and £5. [/quote]
not all speed cubes are equal, some have horrible corner cutting and are VERY noisy. I'd like to see the option of adding the preferred cube to the effect. Yes, it will cost more, but the speed cube that comes with Cube3 is very quiet and has some very good corner cutting
[quote]On Sep 28, 2016, mysticalsales wrote:
Curious why you could not show the routine on the video? [/quote]

The routine starts at 1 minute on the trailer showing all the phases.

It's one of those things we can't win really but just look on eBay you can get a good speed cube for less and £5. [/quote]
not all speed cubes are equal, some have horrible corner cutting and are VERY noisy. I'd like to see the option of adding the preferred cube to the effect. Yes, it will cost more, but the speed cube that comes with Cube3 is very quiet and has some very good corner cutting [/quote]

Your Cube3 cube will work just fine with this so no need to buy another.
not all speed cubes are equal, some have horrible corner cutting and are VERY noisy. I'd like to see the option of adding the preferred cube to the effect. Yes, it will cost more, but the speed cube that comes with Cube3 is very quiet and has some very good corner cutting [/quote]

The Shengshou Aurora V3 is excellent and is, I believe, the cube packaged with Cube3. It is also cheap.

Mike

Hi wulfie66,

My personal favourite cube is the Dayan Zhanchi V5 - http://www.dayancube.com/node/154
This looks great and the trailer shows exactly what to expect. I'll definitely be picking this up. And I agree, no need to supply another cube, most contemplating this would already have one. I just wish I could solve one for real! Well done Kev G and Saturn.

Alan
Looks interesting, is this going to be available in the US?

Robert
[quote]On Sep 28, 2016, Robert Sixx wrote:
Looks interesting, is this going to be available in the US?

Robert [/quote]

I would like to know, this looks interesting
It is exclusive us and Tejinaya at present, our international shipping rates are reasonable and we ship the same working day if you order before 3pm GMT.
I see it says "expected to release 7/10/2016." We are well past that at this point - any updated info on when this will be released? I'm interested, but I'm keen on pre-ordering.
[quote]On Sep 28, 2016, sgtgrey wrote:
I see it says "expected to release 7/10/2016." We are well past that at this point - any updated info on when this will be released? I'm interested, but I'm keen on pre-ordering. [/quote]

It's the English (not American) date format - i.e. 7th October.

Mike
Ah - of course - silly me! I'm running on 3 hours of sleep in the last 72 hours at the moment...everything's a little foggy. Thanks for setting me straight! :P
Great idea! It's exciting to see more people putting work into Cubing Magic. Can't wait for a special forum in the Café for these things.
My Pre-Order is in! My Thanks to Saturn Magic for making this available to us.
Kev G has made a new trick with my algorithm.

Advantages are as follows.

- This trick can be done very casually

- It is particularly good that only one cube is needed

- The special cards provided make this easy to do

- It is perfect for close-up and table hopping

Have a fun to this trick ;)
Put my order in. Looking forward to seeing this. I'm already very familiar with Takamiz's algorithm so this should slot straight into my Rubik's cube set. My act revolves around memory demonstrations and Rubik's cube trickery (sorry, I mean ambitious card and omni deck).
Good news everyone Cube Cards is shipping today 3 days early :)

Check it out here http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/saturn-magic-shop/saturn-magic-presents-cube-cards-by-kev-g.html
Guys, here is a review

One word, fantastic!! I have never owned any cube type effects, and this one sparked my interest from the demo, it is a 4 phase routine using cube cards and a ungimmicked Rubik's cube, the effect goes like this, a Rubik's cube is brought out, together with some cube cards, the cube cards have random scrambles on the faces and you hand the packet to the spectator ask them to pick one, you get them to show you the card for about 10 seconds and you then match the cube to the scrambled card, effect no 1, you then take their chosen card, give it a shake and the cube on the card solves, effect no 2, the rest of the scrambled cards are turned over and they all solve, effect no 3, for the killer ending you take the still scrambled cube give that a shake and the real cube solves, effect no 4!!! Guys this is brilliant, well worth the money, and a very workable routine, not hard to do either, in fact it only has taken me about 6 hours worth of practice and can already do the moves pretty easily! It comes with the cube cards and the download you will need to purchase your own cube, but they are very cheap to buy, I am most certainly going to add this to my no 1 set it is that strong!! Highly recommended!!!
[quote]On Oct 5, 2016, Daren wrote:
and the download you will need to purchase your own cube[/quote]

It's a normal cube isn't it ????

Or do they recommend one that works better ????

Also if you can't do the cube - I quess they are easy to break open and reset [i.e. cheat ?]

Is it better to get a normal cube or a speed cube?

As if there is no difference - a normal cube looks better as a speed cub seems to sit out of shape very easily
I'd like to know if it uses a normal cube. I've been working on Cube3 and love it. Looking for more phases to adapt to my current routine.
Yes it's a normal cube. As with Cube3, a speed cube is required. The mix used is Takamiz Usui's. This is different from Steven Brundage's Cube3 mix, so if you are used to that, there is a bit of relearning needed.

Mike
Has anyone got a recommendation for the best speed cube then?

Ideally one that stays in shape a little better than the others?
A Dayan zhanchi I believe are great!
You will need a speed cube to perform this effect, trust me guys this is great!!!
[quote]On Oct 5, 2016, The Duster wrote:
Has anyone got a recommendation for the best speed cube then?

Ideally one that stays in shape a little better than the others? [/quote]

In order to be a speed cube it needs to be somewhat loose so the sections will move swiftly. So it would inherently not hold its shape quite as well as a slower and tighter cube. I think it's just the nature of the beast.
A silly question but what is a speed cube ?
It's a normal rubik's cube but one that is easier to turn and one that doesn't have to be perfectly square before turning in another direction, so you can kind of cut the corners.

Imagine a normal rubiks cube that has been lubricated and you are on your way there.
Just ordered mine and got a speed cube on Amazon looking forward to doing something other than cards sponge balls coins and chop cup:-)
Whats the memory curve on this one like ie if I put it down for a couple of weeks ets and pick it up will I be able to just go straight into it again or is it one of those effects that you need to do regularly ?
You can easily do this anytime, very easy to remember certain things, get it you won't be disappointed
The card sequence is very easy. The cube solves are pure muscle memory and will take a fair bit of initial practice. There are no complicated algorithms involved unless you want to learn how to legitimately solve a random cube (this is not strictly necessary, and not taught on the video download, but IMO is strongly advised).

Mike
Yep in video he gives spec the cube.What if said spec goes mental and mixes it up.On video one spec seems to be twirling the cube.Need to be able to solve and have spare cubes
Pretty sure you can disassemble a cube and put it back in order relatively easily
I finally learned to solve the cube from the Brundage DVD. I am sure you can learn it on the internet but his explanation is fairly easy to follow. For any of these cube trick that use a normal cube I think you will become frustrated at some point if you can't get yourself out of trouble by solving the cube even if the trick itself does not require cube solving. I just ordered this it looks fun. I think Saturn has a nice exclusive here. Of course I will be ****ed if it shows up on penguin on too weeks with free shipping.
[quote]On Oct 8, 2016, magic in mind wrote:
Yep in video he gives spec the cube.What if said spec goes mental and mixes it up.On video one spec seems to be twirling the cube.Need to be able to solve and have spare cubes [/quote]

Yes sometimes when I perform I pass out the cube to specs (this is because I can solve the cube so not bothered if they mess with it - although I always find the specs only twist once or twice so easy to reset). This is all down to audience management - at the start of the routine I usually ask a spec to "verify its a genuine cube, but don't mix it up" this allows them to check it out but hand it back solved. At the end of the routine you finish with the cube in your hand so it's up to you whether you hand it out or not. I would advise not if you can't solve the cube as you will have to reset it. In the tutorial I do cover a method explaining how to solve the cube without knowing any algorithms and without taking the cube apart.

I hope that helps.

Kev
This is so good.

The Cube Cards video (Streamable/Downloadable at 940 MB) has
a brief cameo by Takamiz Usui which was fun to see and I'm glad to
see his endorsement of this. If you don't already have it, "The Cube" is
full of some really cool routines.

Kev takes us through the history and development of the cards, the routine,
Speed Cube recommendations and goes out of his way to credit his inspirations.

The routines included are incredibly easy considering how impactful they are
and have multiple reset options from very quick to automatic making this ideal
for table hopping or trade show work. Kev also goes out of his way to make this
routine accessible and workable even if you don't know how to solve a Cube.

The cards themselves are great quality and also come with a selection of specially
printed gimmick cards for use in packet tricks. I have do doubt they will last a long time
provided you care for them as you would your playing cards, i.e. no water or spectators
with sticky fingers. You could however lose or abuse a few cards and still be able to
perform this without any problems.

There is a bonus section where Kev goes over some great info about creating a custom
holder for the cube using a versatile technique that can easily be extended to other props.

I'm very happy with my purchase - Both the product and the teaching are top notch.
It's a worker so I'm ready to purchase another set so that I can have a backup set of cards
ready.
Review of Cube Cards by Kev G (£29.99 from Saturn Magic).

You receive a transparent plastic box containing 24 mixed-up cube cards (all different), 24 solved cube cards, and 6 gaffed bonus "creativity cards". The gaffed cards allow you to develop your own packet effects should you wish. There is no DVD; instead there is a link to a video download. Also no cube is supplied - instead you will need to purchase a speed cube such as the Dayan Zhanchi or Shengshou Aurora. These can be obtained for around $10 or less.

The cards themselves are beautiifully printed on good quality playing card stock. The cubes are represented as three-dimensional images and show the standard Rubilk cube colours. The backs feature the official logo of the Rubik Cube Championship held in Sao Paolo, Brazil in 2015. This little detail adds considerable legitimacy to the cards. My only gripe is that the card backs are printed dark grey to the edges. While this doesn't affect the main routines, it does make certain card handlings and packet tricks problematic.

The video tutorial (1 hour 24 min) is well produced, with Kev covering everything needed to perform both basic and full routines, plus suggestions for bonus effects using the creativity cards. As well as giving some history and credits, Kev also usefully reviews several choices of speed cube. His preference is the Dayan Zhanchi V5. While I have previously been using the excellent and cheaper Shengshou Aurora V3, I have now ordered the Dayan Zhanchi - mainly because this is advertised as stickerless. A problem I had with the Shengshou Aurora was the stickers peeling off with excessive use.

In the basic routine, you begin with the cube fully solved. A spectator then selects (a genuine free choice) one of the 24 "random mix" challenge cards. After studying the card for a few seconds you then proceed to mix up the cube (about 20 moves is a good convincer) so that it ends up identical to the pattern shown on the selected card. Next, you shake the card and it visually changes to show a solved cube. Finally, you shake the cube and it too visually changes to the fully solved state.

In the "full" routine, you add a sequence in which all the random mix cards change to fully solved before finally shaking and solving the cube.

At the end of both routines, you are clean and the cards and cube can be fully examined. Also, of course, the cube is instantly reset. The card reset is also very quick.

Previously I have been using Steven Brundage's Cube3 to perform an instant solve of the Rubik Cube. What I particularly like about Kev's routine is that it establishes at the outset that you are using a normal working Rubik Cube - you start with a fully solved cube and then you perform a series of moves that mix it up into the pattern selected by the spectator. With other instant solve methods (including Cube3 and Takamiz Usui's The Cube) you start with a mixed cube. IMO, this always leaves the suspicion that the cube has been preset in some way (the spectator cannot mix the cube themselves at the beginning). Or, in some presentations, the spectator may suspect that the cube is switched. Kev's routine circumvents these problems. It is not only logical to start with a solved cube which you then clearly mix, but also, because you end with the cube fully solved, the spectator is very unlikely to mix it up when given it to examine (after all, the effect is over). If, by chance, the spectator does mix it up at this point, you have nothing to fear (other than having to solve the cube, potentially from scratch, before you can repeat the effect).

This brings me to another issue that potential purchasers need to consider. Kev does NOT teach how to genuinely solve a randomised cube. Instead he suggests a "quick" reset method. In case you are wondering, this does NOT involve disassembling the cube! In practice, however, the quick method is not that quick or straightforward to do on the fly. Instead, I'd strongly recommend learning how to solve a cube properly. Steven Brundage's Cube3 includes a great tutorial on this and there are also various other resources on YouTube and elsewhere. Because a reset is only ever needed when the cube gets out of position, you don't need to learn one of the more complicated super-fast methods. A basic method, such as taught in Cube3, with sufficient practice, will allow you to solve a cube in around 3 minutes or less. And be in no doubt, you WILL mess up the cube while learning Kev's routine - probably many times.

How easy is Cube Cards to perform? Well, the good news is that you don't need to learn any complicated cubing algorithms to perform either the basic or full routines. The mix that Kev uses is very simple indeed, although (as with Cube3 and The Cube) it will take quite a lot of practice to get the necessary hand movements sufficiently smooth and fast. The card changes are also very easy and require only the most basic of sleights. The visual change of the spectator's card into the solved card is the hardest to achieve cleanly - and, personally, I'd rather leave it out or do it differently.

If, like me, you have learned the Cube3 mix, you should be aware that Kev's mix is different. You will therefore need to relearn the moves and you may find, as I have, that you experience some muscle memory interference between the two methods. Note that you CANNOT use the Cube3 mix with Cube Cards.

In terms of routining, some performers might prefer to do just the cube mix and cube solve - i.e., without the card changes. It really depends on how you want to present the effect. As a demonstration of pure cubing skill, the card changes are perhaps redundant. On the other hand, if you want magical eye candy then, yes, keep them in.

Overall, I like Cube Cards a lot. It is a great way to extend to a basic cube solving routine and is going straight into my walkaround set.

Mike
[quote]On Oct 9, 2016, Michael Daniels wrote:
Review of Cube Cards by Kev G (£29.99 from Saturn Magic).

You receive a transparent plastic box containing 24 mixed-up cube cards (all different), 24 solved cube cards, and 6 gaffed bonus "creativity cards". The gaffed cards allow you to develop your own packet effects should you wish. There is no DVD; instead there is a link to a video download. Also no cube is supplied - instead you will need to purchase a speed cube such as the Dayan Zhanchi or Shengshou Aurora. These can be obtained for around $10 or less.

The cards themselves are beautiifully printed on good quality playing card stock. The cubes are represented as three-dimensional images and show the standard Rubilk cube colours. The backs feature the official logo of the Rubik Cube Championship held in Sao Paolo, Brazil in 2015. This little detail adds considerable legitimacy to the cards. My only gripe is that the card backs are printed dark grey to the edges. While this doesn't affect the main routines, it does make certain card handlings and packet tricks problematic.

The video tutorial (1 hour 24 min) is well produced, with Kev covering everything needed to perform both basic and full routines, plus suggestions for bonus effects using the creativity cards. As well as giving some history and credits, Kev also usefully reviews several choices of speed cube. His preference is the Dayan Zhanchi V5. While I have previously been using the excellent and cheaper Shengshou Aurora V3, I have now ordered the Dayan Zhanchi - mainly because this is advertised as stickerless. A problem I had with the Shengshou Aurora was the stickers peeling off with excessive use.

In the basic routine, you begin with the cube fully solved. A spectator then selects (a genuine free choice) one of the 24 "random mix" challenge cards. After studying the card for a few seconds you then proceed to mix up the cube (about 20 moves is a good convincer) so that it ends up identical to the pattern shown on the selected card. Next, you shake the card and it visually changes to show a solved cube. Finally, you shake the cube and it too visually changes to the fully solved state.

In the "full" routine, you add a sequence in which all the random mix cards change to fully solved before finally shaking and solving the cube.

At the end of both routines, you are clean and the cards and cube can be fully examined. Also, of course, the cube is instantly reset. The card reset is also very quick.

Previously I have been using Steven Brundage's Cube3 to perform an instant solve of the Rubik Cube. What I particularly like about Kev's routine is that it establishes at the outset that you are using a normal working Rubik Cube - you start with a fully solved cube and then you perform a series of moves that mix it up into the pattern selected by the spectator. With other instant solve methods (including Cube3 and Takamiz Usui's The Cube) you start with a mixed cube. IMO, this always leaves the suspicion that the cube has been preset in some way (the spectator cannot mix the cube themselves at the beginning). Or, in some presentations, the spectator may suspect that the cube is switched. Kev's routine circumvents these problems. It is not only logical to start with a solved cube which you then clearly mix, but also, because you end with the cube fully solved, the spectator is very unlikely to mix it up when given it to examine (after all, the effect is over). If, by chance, the spectator does mix it up at this point, you have nothing to fear (other than having to solve the cube, potentially from scratch, before you can repeat the effect).

This brings me to another issue that potential purchasers need to consider. Kev does NOT teach how to genuinely solve a randomised cube. Instead he suggests a "quick" reset method. In case you are wondering, this does NOT involve disassembling the cube! In practice, however, the quick method is not that quick or straightforward to do on the fly. Instead, I'd strongly recommend learning how to solve a cube properly. Steven Brundage's Cube3 includes a great tutorial on this and there are also various other resources on YouTube and elsewhere. Because a reset is only ever needed when the cube gets out of position, you don't need to learn one of the more complicated super-fast methods. A basic method, such as taught in Cube3, with sufficient practice, will allow you to solve a cube in around 3 minutes or less. And be in no doubt, you WILL mess up the cube while learning Kev's routine - probably many times.

How easy is Cube Cards to perform? Well, the good news is that you don't need to learn any complicated cubing algorithms to perform either the basic or full routines. The mix that Kev uses is very simple indeed, although (as with Cube3 and The Cube) it will take quite a lot of practice to get the necessary hand movements sufficiently smooth and fast. The card changes are also very easy and require only the most basic of sleights. The visual change of the spectator's card into the solved card is the hardest to achieve cleanly - and, personally, I'd rather leave it out or do it differently.

If, like me, you have learned the Cube3 mix, you should be aware that Kev's mix is different. You will therefore need to relearn the moves and you may find, as I have, that you experience some muscle memory interference between the two methods. Note that you CANNOT use the Cube3 mix with Cube Cards.

In terms of routining, some performers might prefer to do just the cube mix and cube solve - i.e., without the card changes. It really depends on how you want to present the effect. As a demonstration of pure cubing skill, the card changes are perhaps redundant. On the other hand, if you want magical eye candy then, yes, keep them in.

Overall, I like Cube Cards a lot. It is a great way to extend to a basic cube solving routine and is going straight into my walkaround set.

Mike [/quote]

Thanks a LOT for this very thorough review. Definitely purchasing this and cube3. I'm assuming that you can use the Cube3 cube with this routine as well.

Todd
Yes you can.
I met Kev a few years ago through my own work and I've seen Kev grow as a performer and creator of magic and was privileged to see him win a major comp.

I was sent a protype of the first concept when Kev first started working on it I liked it but wasn't too sure at first as the algorithm was a little complex, and I had only recently started having a play around with the Rubik's cube.

The thing I like about this is that it plays well anywhere close up, stage, parlour and it's perfect for most situations.

Personally I got realy excited when Takamitsu Usui gave Kev permission to use his concept and they bounced off each other, which resulted in a really great piece of magic and a simple algorithm that anyone could learn to perform the kicker ending.

You may be on the fence with Rubik's cube magic as I was to be honest, I wasn't sure If I felt like I was showing off just learning an instant solve. Once I had learnt Kev's routining and reasoning for cube cards I no longer feel like that as it has made it a multi phased, engaging effect that builds to a impossible climax.

If you're a worker, you'll also enjoy Kev's cube holder design which saves on precious pocket space.

Pros: It's very well structured, the cards are a thing of beauty and it's a worker that will fit most styles.

Cons: You don't get a cube with it, but the price is fair as it's all custom designed. Also performers who use the cube already will have one and speed cubes are fairly cheap to pick up online.

P.S. I just want to add that even though I was given a copy, I have since bought another as I carry a duplicate of all my working set, just in case as you never know!

I showed this to my mother in law who's not a big magic fan but she said that this is the best thing she has seen me do! (Her words not mine)

Highly recommended

Kind regards

Kieron
*** I spent way too much already on magic this month way over budget.I'm now another £29.99 down!!!!
Best 29.99 you can spend currently, great effect!!
Great routine from Kev G and really nice cards supplied, you need to supply your own speed cube. But even still I consider this to be a bargain.
I like this a lot.
I guess you could call this a poor man's Rubicon (Gregory Wilson's latest release.)
Now of course this uses printed cards rather than another cube, but for about 1/12th the price of Rubicon I think it is nipping at Greg's heels.
I'd recommend it.
Super fast shipping from Saturn Magic too. May have been just a one time fluke but it arrived on west coast of USA much quicker than any other UK dealer I have ordered from.
Cube Cards is featured on our latest show.

[youtube]FcDfk7UfdSU[/youtube]
Just a heads up - the (Topways) Dayan ZhanChi V5 cubes I ordered from Amazon UK arrived this morning. Though they were (ambiguously) advertised as stickerless, they are stickered. A bit disappointing.

The cubes themselves work very nicely - possibly slightly better on cornering than the Shengshou Aurora V3, though there's not much in it. The Dayan cubes are also 1mm larger than the Shengshou. This may be a consideration if you have small hands. The colours look identical.

Mike
[quote]On Oct 14, 2016, Michael Daniels wrote:
Just a heads up - the (Topways) Dayan ZhanChi V5 cubes I ordered from Amazon UK arrived this morning. Though they were (ambiguously) advertised as stickerless, they are stickered. A bit disappointing.

The cubes themselves work very nicely - possibly slightly better on cornering than the Shengshou Aurora V3, though there's not much in it. The Dayan cubes are also 1mm larger than the Shengshou. This may be a consideration if you have small hands. The colours look identical.

Mike [/quote]
So out of all the speed cubes out there, which would you say, in your opinion, are the best for this effect for someone with 'average' sized hands?

Todd
I actually wented with stickered

As they look like Rubic's Cubes did

So will look and seem fairer

I know they are not gimmicked anyway - but I think people will def suspect stickerless cubes way more
[quote]On Oct 14, 2016, wulfie66 wrote:
So out of all the speed cubes out there, which would you say, in your opinion, are the best for this effect for someone with 'average' sized hands?
Todd [/quote]

I have average sized hands and there's really little to choose between the Dayan ZhanChi V5 and the Shengshou Aurora V3. Both are great. The Shengshou is a bit cheaper.

Mike
[quote]On Oct 14, 2016, The Duster wrote:
I actually wented with stickered

As they look like Rubic's Cubes did

So will look and seem fairer

I know they are not gimmicked anyway - but I think people will def suspect stickerless cubes way more [/quote]

Yes, fair point.

Mike
Here's an idea using the bonus cards to perform a version of Garrett's Stand Up Monte...

http://youtu.be/P-Wuyl90_Hw
[quote]On Oct 17, 2016, kevg wrote:
Here's an idea using the bonus cards to perform a version of Garrett's Stand Up Monte...

http://youtu.be/P-Wuyl90_Hw [/quote]
nice kicker ending there
Great idea adding the bagged cube. This is pretty brilliant and utterly baffling to a spectator. With
Garrett's powerful routine and the solved cube climax I cannot imagine that there is anywhere for
the viewer to back track the routine. This may be the cleverest thing I've seen in quite some time.
One of the performers at the Magic Castle Strolling competition received 3rd place at the event
with Cube Cards as his feature. With what's going on in the Facebook group there is at least
three great effects here. Very happy with my purchase of Cube Cards.
The real test will be when the hype has died down as so many effects these days get raved about but end up in the dreaded magic drawer with in a couple of months.....so as tempting as it is I'll hold back for now .
We have had a new batch of Speed Cubes arrive in stock which work great for Cube Cards http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/new-magic/speed-cube-guanlong-yongun-like-rubiks-cube.html
I performed Cube Cards at least a couple dozen times the past weekend (a few different routines with the cards), and I'd have to say that this was probably one of the best received routines I did. Great stuff, and I think this is something that will be sticking in my repertoire. I'm actually considering getting a backup set because I'd hate to not be able to perform it if something were to happen to the cards!
My set is sitting in customs for like 10 days now
[quote]On Oct 25, 2016, sgtgrey wrote:
I performed Cube Cards at least a couple dozen times the past weekend (a few different routines with the cards), and I'd have to say that this was probably one of the best received routines I did. Great stuff, and I think this is something that will be sticking in my repertoire. I'm actually considering getting a backup set because I'd hate to not be able to perform it if something were to happen to the cards! [/quote]

I'm glad you're enjoying it, it does get great reactions! If you're not already on the Facebook group the link is on the tutorial or shoot me a PM, there are a few other ideas on there!
Yup, I'm on there - and the idea of using the extra cards with GT's routine is genius. I've had good reactions to that, as well as mixing this with my Cube FX one-cube dual reality effect I've been doing for over a year now.
We are please to say that Murphy's Magic now have Cube Cards in stock so it is now available from your favourite dealer and us of course :)
Picked this up recently and am very impressed. Top notch production value and teaching and love all the variations that are possible.
Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh. Never again. Mark is he nicest guy but my cards still have not come from Chicago PO. Now could have them tomorrow from Penguin.
Rant over, thank you for reading
[quote]On Oct 28, 2016, Xcath1 wrote:
Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh. Never again. Mark is he nicest guy but my cards still have not come from Chicago PO. Now could have them tomorrow from Penguin.
Rant over, thank you for reading [/quote]

I just checked your tracking they were stuck for ages in transit, but it looks like they may well be out for delivery very soon.
Cube Cards made it to Murphy's and sold out in 24 hours!!!!

Another batch is on the way it should get there by the end of the week.

We still have some in stock buts it is running low here http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/saturn-magic-shop/saturn-magic-presents-cube-cards-by-kev-g.html
The new batch has arrived with Murphy's so grad one now from your favourite dealer :)
Thanks for all the messages about Cube Cards! Just clarify a couple of frequently asked questions...

Q: What's a speed cube?
A: A speed cube has been specially designed and lubricated to allow fast, smoother and easier turning - These can be picked up for a few dollars online, but I do go into Cubes I recommend and what to look for on the tutorial (My personal favourite is the Dayan ZhanChi V5)

Q: I can't solve the cube and I'm worried about messing it up - Is this something I could do?
A: Yes definitely! I'd always recommend you learn to solve the cube, but once you learn and practice the easy mix it will become muscle memory. It is likely you'll mess up when practising but I do cover a method to reset the cube (without having to take it apart) that won't take long at all.

Q: The mix looks complicated, do I have to memorise a long algorithm?
A: Not at all - The mix is VERY easy to remember...For example if you can remember 1,2,3,4 you'll be fine!

Q: Is there just the one effect?
A: I explain a few versions of my full routine.....but the mix by Takamitsu Usui can be used to perform a range of effects (In the bag solve, behind the back etc) There are also some "bonus" creative cards for use with packet tricks - lots of ideas are being shared on the facebook group

Q: How do I join the facebook group?
A: Check the link on the tutorial, or search within facebook. Please check you PM's though as you'll have a message requesting to confirm the tutorial password before you're accepted.

Q: How much stuff to I need to carry as I perform close-up and have limited pocket space?
A: With Cube Cards you only need to carry ONE cube with you and a deck of cards (In the bonus section I explain a cheap method for creating your own cube holder that attaches to your trousers/belt to free up your pockets)

Q: $34.99 seems cheap in comparison to other Rubik's cube effects on the market, how does it stack up?
A: Obviously I'm biased but just check out the feedback from others that have purchased cube cards....they're loving it and getting amazing reactions! Phil Shaw, from MagicSeen Magazine wrote "If you are looking for something that will get you great reactions then Cube Cards is worth your consideration."

If you have any other questions, please ask.

I appreciate all the support!
- Kev G
First reviews coming in over at Penguin http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S21930#reviews
WOW! I got my copy of Cube Cards this week from Penguin....this is brilliant! Firstly I can't believe there's not more posts on this thread about how good this is. I'm a big fan of Rubiks Cube magic and own the majority of the stuff that's been published and this is a workers dream!

The quality of the cards is superb and the instruction on the tutorial is top class - really clear and covers everything you need to know and more (The cube holder is just what I needed). The fact that you also learn Takamitu's algorithm gives you a utility move you can apply to lots of other purposes - there's been some fantastic ideas on the Facebook group.

This really is easy to learn and is strong enough to go into your #1 close-up set. It makes you wonder why so many would shell out $350 for an effect doesn't it?

I love this 10/10
Received Cube Cards this week! I'm extremely impressed and this will be making its way into my standard routine! Thank you.
There's a nice review over at NingThing http://ningthing.com/review-saturn-magic-presents-cube-cards-kev-g/

Murphy's should have more stock tomorrow!

Thanks again for the support and If you have Cube Cards and are not on the Facebook group check out the link on the tutorial ;-)
Now with 8 5 star reviews on Penguin http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S21930 and 4 outside reviews linked on the Murphys page http://www.murphysmagic.com/product.aspx?id=58600 :)
Great review from Paul Romhany in this month's Vanish Magazine (Page 151) https://www.joomag.com/magazine/vanish-magic-magazine-edition-30-nick-diffatte-feature-story/0473496001483056504?short
Derek "HUBB" Irwin has come up with a great idea for using the cube cards routine when you only have you mobile phone and a cube on you. If you have Cube Cards, Derek has shared the details in the Facebook Group.

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=VYrkdWXUB8s
Alright, I'm teetering here.

I just ordered Cube3 and am very excited to get it and learn some cube magic. Yes I know my NERD is showing.

I see "cube magic" as a perfect addition to my magic repetoire. So here's the question.

Once I learn Cube3 will it be confusing to combine both methods/ routines from that to Cube Cards?

Or once learned will it be easy enough to switch back and forth between algorithms?

Does this question even make sense?
[quote]On Mar 15, 2017, natswift wrote:

I just ordered Cube3 and am very excited to get it and learn some cube magic. Yes I know my NERD is showing.

I see "cube magic" as a perfect addition to my magic repetoire. So here's the question.

Once I learn Cube3 will it be confusing to combine both methods/ routines from that to Cube Cards?

Or once learned will it be easy enough to switch back and forth between algorithms?

Does this question even make sense? [/quote]

Yes its very simple its only 4 moves you need to remember for Cube Cards.
Yes you'll be fine - the Cube Cards algorithm is easier to remember than the one taught on Cube3. You can also perform the behind the back solve and in the bad solve if desired.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Kev

[quote]On Mar 15, 2017, natswift wrote:

Does this question even make sense? [/quote]
Thank you guys for getting back to me so quickly. Very excited to work on this!!
Congratulations to Hubb who won 1st place at the Magic Castle Strolling event with a set
that featured Cube Cards. This routine is fire and it does something very important that
a lot of effects miss out on. It's so clear of an effect that you can ask a spectator later what
happened and they will be able to describe the effect. I'm still on my first set of cards but
already have two back up decks in case these become hard to find one day.
Placed order the other day and can't wait to get my hands on it!!
I just got the solution by Michael Murray and I'm going to try and use it one stage as the closing part to my cube act after having performed cube cards.

Will there be a stage version of cube cards as that would be perfect?
Cube Cards – Kev G

Product description : Rubik’s cube magic seems to be a thing in magic at the moment, it’s something a lot of people do, from Rubicon, to Cube FX, Cube 3 and so on. Here is another option you have, which is to combine cards and cube. Spectator selects a card among several, on each one you can see a different mixed Rubik’s cube. You look at it for 10 seconds and you take a solved cube and mix it. When you stop, the mixed cube matches perfectly with the selected card. And of course, in a few move, you can solve the cube with only one hand if you wish. It’s so much more than that, you can turn the whole pack of cards into solved cube cards.

Price and where to buy it : This is sold at $34.95 and you can find it in nearly every Murphy's magic « partner » shop !

What you get : You get a little plastic case with inside a lot of cards. On the first one, there is a link for the explanation video, the video is filled with good ideas, explaining in detail how you should mix the cube etc.. I’m pretty happy with the video. You get the cards, there are quite well made, they considered as “Challenge Card”, people never said they look weird. You get 24 solved ones, 24 unsolved and a few gaffs so you can do visual transformation. Overall, I’m quite happy with everything I got, the cards look real, they’re well printed and the explanation video is clear.

Teaser : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9wDepF5drA

The pros and the cons : Here is the core of my review, let's begin with the cons, as I will usually be doing, I prefer to keep the good things for the end.

THE CONS :
– Maybe 24 cards is not enough for the spectator, I do think 48 would be better, you could buy another set if you need.
– You have to buy a speed cube, it’s not gimmicked, it just has to move fast in order to do the solving part.

THE PROS :
– I do find the idea of combining cards and cube to be a very good hook with people, Rubik’s Cube is something people can easily relate to so it’s not hard to introduce the routine.
– You may think you can’t do this twice but in fact, you can ! Because people thinks every card is different, they won’t remember the configuration of each cube on each card.
– It’s not hard to do, you have to remember only 4 moves, which are quite easy and you’ll get used to them very quickly.
– I don’t like the fact of having a full deck of solved cube at the end, I keep the regular deck with the mixed cube and I only change one card visually before solving the cube.
– The reset is instant because you start with a solved cube and end with a solved one. Therefore, it’s easy to carry around some table.
– I had no problem incorporating this routine into my existing Rubik’s Cube routine, it’s very easy to put between 2 effects like Cube3 or Cube FX.
– You don’t need to know how to solve a cube in order to do the routine, again, only 4 moves to remember to do the trick.

Overall rating : This has easily found a place into my existing routine, it’s something I will use, 4/4 hearts.

As for the difficulty level, 4 moves and you’re good to go ! Just make sure not to mess with the cube if you don’t know how to solve it, I would say 2/5 stars.

Similar products : Routines who involve cards and cube don’t exist but there are a lot of routines with rubik’s cube, such as Cube 3, Cube FX or Rubik Nightmare.

If you liked my review, make sure to check all my other ones on my website : http://lesavisdalexis.wixsite.com/reviews
Thanks for the review Alex, I appreciate you taking the time to write up your thoughts. I performed this at 23 tables last weekend and it's just the perfect instant reset routine. I had one guy say I understand how you can do stuff with cards but I don't understand any of that!

Just my thoughts on a couple of points made... Having all the cards changed to solved in my opinion makes it much stronger plus... there is no reason to scrutinise the cards even though there is nothing to find anyway.

Secondly there's an upgrade edition in the works so you can have a full deck of mixed cards (different mix to cube cards) and end with a full deck of solved cards if you so wish. I have a few other bonuses lined up too so watch this space.

Finally there are a number of other ideas and effects that have been contributed on the Facebook group for owners.

Thanks again
Many awesome reviews and comments here. I ordered this and should receive it anyday. Thanks to everyone who posts reviews opinions and answer questions etc as know it or not it really helps other folks...like me :)

Thanks
Well everything is great quality. The cards video and instructions. I didn't think I would have such a hard time handling this one handed the way Kev G does, It feels so awkward and I am struggling with it I am practicing a lot but not seeing much improvement. It looks in the vid like Kev's fingers are a bit long. My hands aren't small but not big ethier and I am still having a hard time. The dexterity and coordination of the fingers and thumbs is daunting.
I will keep trying but maybe it just isn't for me.

This is great work from Kev and I am sure most others will be or are handling the finger work just fine. I hope to be. Trying not to down this at ll. Not all tricks are for all people and it has nothing to do with the effect or quality itself. Just one of those things.
Drop me a PM, I'm sure I can help! My guess would be the type of Cube you're using
Oh wow the man himself! Thanks Kev it blows me away you are this supportive. Top Notch guy for sure. I PM'd you Thanks Again
Kev,
What cube so you recommend and does that cube also work with RD?
My favourite cube at the minute is the MoYu WeiLong GTS 2m, which is actually the current world record cube. This is a 55.5mm cube though and Dream is made for 57mm cube, so could work but would need a slight modification. The other consideration is the colour and shape of the stickers - you can pick up replacement stickers on ebay for $2 which are similar to those that come with Dream, but for other cubes you will need to go to somewhere like thecubicle.Us but they're a bit more expensive. I'm still a big fan of the DaYan ZhanChi which would be my choice if I wanted one cube to use with Dream as well or the RD cube / Shengshou Wind but these may need a bit of working in, lubrication and tinkering to get them just right. Hope that helps.
Thanks appreciate the recommendation!
Virtual Magie caught up with me at the session convention in January and filmed my cube cards routine https://youtu.be/t3vd5dUyrmI
[quote]On May 8, 2018, kevg wrote:
Virtual Magie caught up with me at the session convention in January and filmed my cube cards routine https://youtu.be/t3vd5dUyrmI [/quote]

That was a fantastic on the spot performance which just shows how practical and stunning this routine is with just one normal cube and the provided cards.

More detail here https://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/saturn-magic-shop/saturn-magic-presents-cube-cards-by-kev-g.html
This was the performance I mentioned on the Remixed thread - superb! I use Cube Cards at every gig.

Mike [/quote]

I've found that most of these cube effects up front make a big deal about how you DO NOT NEED TO KNOW HOW TO SOLVE A CUBE.

But then upon purchase they warn: If you screw this up you better know how to solve a cube to get it back to default value!!

A little bit of false advertising.
[quote]On May 15, 2018, John C wrote:

Mike [/quote]

I've found that most of these cube effects up front make a big deal about how you DO NOT NEED TO KNOW HOW TO SOLVE A CUBE.

But then upon purchase they warn: If you screw this up you better know how to solve a cube to get it back to default value!!

A little bit of false advertising. [/quote]

Not really the statement is true and you can use the free app to solve the cube, it just takes a little longer than if you know how to do it.
[quote]On May 15, 2018, Saturn UK wrote:
[quote]On May 15, 2018, John C wrote:

Mike [/quote]

A little bit of false advertising. [/quote]

Not really the statement is true and you can use the free app to solve the cube, it just takes a little longer than if you know how to do it. [/quote]

Perhaps you're right. I take back my statement. Maybe I'll give it a shot.
I just started a topic which will help you.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=665764&forum=218
Here is little idea from me of an "Open Prediction" routine with Cube Cards.
No gimmicks, only regular cube cards are used.

Maybe someone likes this routine!

Effect:

A solved Cube Card is shown and placed on the table.
This is the "Open Prediction" card.

The remaining cards are mixed by the spectator and placed face down on the table.
The spectator places the cards one by one on the table face down.
He stops when he wants and this card where he has stopped is placed face down next to the open prediction card.

The spectator's card is turned face-up and he sees that he stopped at the "solved cube card".
The rest of the cards are shown, they are just "mixed cube cards".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NFlCowho78

P.S.
Now you take the cube in your hand and show routines with the cube cards and the cube.

Darko
How many cards are in a set?

And how many do you get if you buy the extra set?

THANKS!

John
I just saw this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NFlCowho78

So I guess the answer is only 22 cards with mixed cubes and it looks like they all have the same mixed cube but only in a different position on every card. I'm a little disappointed and was hoping for more cards and more mixed variations (that would be just as easy to do I guess...)

John
[quote]On Apr 13, 2019, Dr. Eamon wrote:
How many cards are in a set?

And how many do you get if you buy the extra set?

THANKS!

John [/quote]

Hey John, theres 55 cards in a set. When performing you effectively have half a deck (this isn't a normal deck of cards nor are they in a card box) so more than plausible. In addition I've released 2 expansion decks 'Cube Cards Remixed' and 'Cube Cards 1221' so you can perform with effectively a full deck if you wish. My personal preference now is to perform with 50 or so cards which include a mixture from all 3 available editions. You also receive creative bonus cards in each set. There are many members on the Facebook group who have shared their own ideas with these. Hope that helps.
Hi Kev, yes, I realize that now. I wish you also had a mental variation without all the magic but just 40 or 50 photo (-cards) with differently mixed cubes so the performer makes a mental note of the freely chosen mixed cube and just duplicates it... or if he wants to show off a little in one hand, blindfolded or behind his back. For me that would be ten times better, changing all the cards to solved cubes makes it a 'magic trick' instead of demonstrating an unbelievable skill...

John
[quote]On Apr 13, 2019, Dr. Eamon wrote:
Hi Kev, yes, I realize that now. I wish you also had a mental variation without all the magic but just 40 or 50 photo (-cards) with differently mixed cubes so the performer makes a mental note of the freely chosen mixed cube and just duplicates it... or if he wants to show off a little in one hand, blindfolded or behind his back. For me that would be ten times better, changing all the cards to solved cubes makes it a 'magic trick' instead of demonstrating an unbelievable skill...

John [/quote]

Hey John have you watched the trailer? I only ask as the video you linked above is not my routine and you've pretty much described the taught routine on the tutorial,which is modular so you can pick and choose which elements you wish to perform. The first phase is essentially a mentalism effect or super human memory x skill. It's up to the performer on how they decide to present it or where you take it from there. If you didn't want to change all the cards at the end you don't need to, but from performing this hundreds and hundreds of times changing all the cards at the end slays the audience as they think the effect is over and its that element of surprise which is key for me.

If you just do mentalism you could have them select any card, match your cube too it and then go straight into something like Michael Murry's The Solution, which I know some people do.

Cheers
Kev
If you missed this from the previous page, Virtual Magie caught up with me at the Session convention last year and asked for a demo https://youtu.be/t3vd5dUyrmI
Yes, I saw the original demo! It's great magic but as you already guessed I prefer to perform pure mental (I do love magic btw!) and present things like this as an amazing memory/cube skill. Naturally, that's just a matter of taste.

Your idea is really great, I would just love more cards with more really differently mixed cubes so I can make a big point of that they are all different and then demonstrate how I can copy any of the many different cubes... and to accomplish this you could use the quick solve, three or four times in a row (or even more) to get more variations of mixed cubes.

BTW I love Michael Murray's The Solution, in the right settings it kills!

Cheers!
John
Cube cards, remixed and 1221 are all different mixes....so this is possible.... In fact this is what I do when I perform the first phase. The video above is using Cube cards and remixed as the 1221 set was released this year at Blackpool.
What is the difference between the original, the remixed and the 1221?

And how many 'MIXED-CUBE cards' are in each pack?

- The original Cube Cards $34,95

- The Cube Cards Remixed $34,95

- 1221 Mix of Cube Cards $34,95

Thanks!

John :)
[quote]On Apr 14, 2019, Dr. Eamon wrote:
What is the difference between the original, the remixed and the 1221?

And how many 'MIXED-CUBE cards' are in each pack?

- The original Cube Cards $34,95

- The Cube Cards Remixed $34,95

- 1221 Mix of Cube Cards $34,95

Thanks!

John :) [/quote]

Hey John, I think I answered these questions in the posts above. The images on the cards are different in each set. Approximately half the deck are mixed.

Thanks
Kev
No, you just copied my question. It would be nice if you had answered with A has XX mixed cards, B has XX mixed cards and C has XX. But instead, you like to let me puzzle...

And approximately??? :confused: You know exactly how many!! Why do you keep it so vague :confused:

But don't worry, I lost all interest... wishing you good luck selling the effect with a few around 21 cards in the basic set and if they just buy three sets for :spinningcoin: $105,00 :spinningcoin: (like it's nothing) they have a few more. That would be great if people would just buy 3 sets :bg: So funny how you say it like it's the most normal thing to do... $105,00 for some cards when they can just take some pictures for an even better effect...

Sorry that I'm not going to re-read all previous posts because it's too much work for you to name the three numbers and be clear... Thank you, I will happily pass on this one!!!