(Close Window)
Topic: How do you choose to measure success?
I'm interested to know the views of those that contribute to this section of the Café. So... how do you measure success? Both in general terms and also specifically about your own business?

I find it interesting to speculate as to how different or similar the responses to this question (or questions) might be as compared to my own thoughts.
Personally I am in business to make money. They is what success is. If is measured in money in business.
First success has to be identified. Success is a subjective topic. It can mean many different things to many different people. Stereotypes equate it to fame & fortune, wealth and status. Happiness is a key factor for me and always had been. I have found if I am happy I tend to thrive in whatever is set in my sights. I know that may sound over-simplified, but I find it to be a common thread in everything I do and have done. I also like to set goals, some that seem hard or far-fetched to achieve, then love it when each of is realized. I come from a family with great negativity and divide. Struggle. From the time I was 12 years old, I seem to identify that and became the opposite of many others. In school, sports, music, I preferred to stay away from negative people, Debbie-downers and complainers. Not that I was Mr. Positive and upbeat, but became very observational and more of a realist. Recognizing good and bad, positive and not so positives, and learning from both. Many seem to focus on what they didn't have and what they wanted. I was always the opposite. If I wanted something, cool, then formulate a realistic plan to make it happen. I've been doing the same ever since. I wasn't born this way or surrounded by it, I consciously made the decisions and actions to create this.

Once it is identified, then it becomes a matter of if you REALLY want, hope and expect to achieve it. Many people THINK they know what they want and what will make them happy and they either truly don't or aren't willing to put in the effort. I never understood having aspirations but not doing your best to try to attain them. Are they really what you want? I think one of the keys to success is focus, commitment and determination.

Also not all success is money or position-based. It can be a level of comfort, health, location, lifestyle or simply a pain-free, stress-free and worry-free contentment, happiness and freedom. As we get older it seems health, family and mindset become more important as opposed to career, business and money when younger. I have found if our younger definitions of success are attained it usually sets us up for the later versions of success through different periods of life.

Great, interesting topic.
Thanks Sealegs for this topic, I always appreciate your perspective and posts.

I agree with both Danny and Mindpro, I definitely have a lot in common with their answers to this question.

For me in my own words, it is to be successful financially - to make enough to live and even have some extra. This is a source of pride for me because so many people I meet when performing don't believe it is possible to make a living as a magician. So to be financially successful at something that for many people it is outside their scope of belief that a person could make a living at it - being a magician.

Also creativity is important to me. Being able to come up with an idea and see it through. This is actually the tougher one for me and I have to push myself to do it but it is worth it.
I measure success by the amount of positive impact I can bring the world. I look towards various aspects of my life as differing ways to contribute to this. In business, gaining money is a critical component because it allows me to grow in my business as well as spend money on other future aspects of my life (i.e. Raising a family, traveling, investing) that in turn contribute towards my goal. I like Mindpro's suggestion of setting goals. Immediately some I would like to achieve came to mind.
In general, success to me is being able to do what I want, when I want to do it, and with the people that I want to do it with.
I agree that that success means many different things to many different people.

While money can buy the things you want, the money or the things alone may not be enough to call yourself a success.
Many rich people commit suicide because their life is not where they want it to be. It’s not the money or things they
are lacking.

Over the years I have looked for a good definition of success and then one day I remembered what Earl Nightingale once
said years ago. And I think he said it best with “Success is the progressive realization of a worthy goal or ideal.”

“Success is the progressive realization of a worthy goal or ideal.”

If you’re making progress working towards YOUR goal (no matter how small that goal may be) then you can truly say you
are being successful.

Tom
[quote]On Oct 5, 2016, TomBoleware wrote:
I agree that that success means many different things to many different people.

While money can buy the things you want, the money or the things alone may not be enough to call yourself a success.
Many rich people commit suicide because their life is not where they want it to be. It’s not the money or things they
are lacking.

Over the years I have looked for a good definition of success and then one day I remembered what Earl Nightingale once
said years ago. And I think he said it best with “Success is the progressive realization of a worthy goal or ideal.”

“Success is the progressive realization of a worthy goal or ideal.”

If you’re making progress working towards YOUR goal (no matter how small that goal may be) then you can truly say you
are being successful.

Tom [/quote]

Not a bad definition.
On a Facebook post/comment Jamie D Grant said something that solidified what I've been thinking - success is in how much time you can take off.

I don't really care about money - I only care about what money gets me, which is the ability to live comfortably, travel, spend time with friends, try out random hobbies, and so on. If I didn't need money to do those things I would rarely work. I am working on earning more and more of my income through things I don't think of as work, but it is slow going to learn the business side of things.
[quote]On Oct 5, 2016, WitchDocChris wrote:
On a Facebook post/comment Jamie D Grant said something that solidified what I've been thinking - success is in how much time you can take off.
[/quote]

Yes I agree with this, but the way I would say it is:

Success is deciding how and in what way I want to use my time, rather than having to obey a company or boss and what they say is the way I must use my time.

Or, having more freedom with how I use my time.
I never knew what hard work was until I was self employed.
[quote]On Oct 6, 2016, Dannydoyle wrote:
I never knew what hard work was until I was self employed. [/quote]

What Danny said.
I use a 2 axis matrix.

The vertical axis is my return on equity.
The horizontal is a multidimensional rating on social return.

Social return is my life style and interaction with others.
Ideally, I shoot for the upper right quadrant. But at times I've been in both upper left and lower right.

This has proven to be a good model for myself in gauging overall performance and success.

Hopefully, it can assist others too.

My best,
Walter
Thanks for the replies. I also like the definition; “Success is the progressive realization of a worthy goal or ideal.”

I doubt though that many of us look at other people's success find ourselves saying or thinking, "well they're on a progressive realisation of a worthy goal.... brilliant". I think it would be healthy to think more along those lines both when assessing one's own success and others too.

For oneself it's relatively easy to make this the primary consideration of personal success. But with little to go on when looking to others we are inevitably likely fall back to the stereotypical markers of wealth and status. And it's my belief that these really are no benchmark at all.

Thanks again for the read. :)
If you have a business in which you intend to make money then it is logical this is a measure of success. Why is that so hard to admit?

If you are dipping things just because they make you feel good great for you. But it depends on why you are in business or doing what you are doing. That determines if you are successful.
Danny wrote: "If you have a business in which you intend to make money then it is logical this is a measure of success. Why is that so hard to admit?"

Personally I can't see or understand why this would be hard for anyone to admit. It makes logical sense that monetary return would be part of the measure of success of any business set up to make money. For some businesses it might well be the main measure of success.

But I find it hard to think that wealth (and status) are the only means by which success is or can be measured. Money is obviously important and necessary but as Mindpro said above; "not all success is money or position-based. It can be a level of comfort, health, location, lifestyle or simply a pain-free, stress-free and worry-free contentment, happiness and freedom"
Try doing those things without money.
[quote]On Oct 25, 2016, Sealegs wrote:
[b][i]Money is obviously important and necessary[/b][/i] but as Mindpro said above; "not all success is money or position-based. It can be a level of comfort, health, location, lifestyle or simply a pain-free, stress-free and worry-free contentment, happiness and freedom" [/quote]
Again without money those things are often unattainable.

You seem to be saying 2 polar opposite things. Which is it?
I'm not sure why money and all the other things mentioned... such as comfort, health, location, lifestyle or simply a pain-free, stress-free and worry-free contentment, happiness and freedom... should be seen as polar opposites. I think of them more as going hand in hand. Certainly up to a point that is. After that point is reached monetary increases don't tend to be proportionally matched by increases in these other potential measures of success.

Like most other people though (or at least I suspect most other people) I still tend to fall back on seeing money and status as way of casually measuring success in others' businessess. But on a more thoughtful level I feel this is an inappropriate view of a person or a businesses success. One only needs so much money to be considered successful by the broader basket of measures of success already mentioned. (it's a basket which would include money)

The amount of money needed by this basket measure of success is likely to be far less than might be the case for those looking on with only wealth and status to go by. Hence the disparity between the different perceptions of success.

It is these different perceptions of success that I was interested in... especially here in the business section of the Café.