Title: Burn Notice
Creator: Takel
Publisher: Murphy's Magic
MSRP: $ 25
Skill Level: Intermediate
DVD Run time: 11 minutes

Type of effect: card to impossible location

Manufacturer's Write Up:

The Mystery Box has always been one of magic's most baffling plots and one of the most unexplainable crescendos to a routine. A signed card that appears inside an object that has been in full view the whole time has delighted audiences for decades. Many times these objects are props that you don't see every day, and can look suspicious.

In his debut release with Murphy's Magic, Takel has brought us Burn Notice. Burn Notice takes the strongest elements of the mystery box and blends them with an organic every day object that everyone is familiar with: a simple match box. Place the matchbox in their hand and watch their eyes light up in disbelief as their card vanishes from the deck, only to be seen again when you slowly open the matchbox to reveal their signed card inside.

The simple operation of the gimmick makes the retention of vision unmistakable, with the matchbox ending super clean and it easily resets in two seconds. Now, you can perform your favorite mystery box plot with a small, powerful gimmick that rides in your pocket wherever you go.

How accurate is the ad copy?

What's in the box?

- Burn Notice gimmick
- Online video instructions covering performance, handling, maintenance and tips
- Gimmick repair materials

Key points:

- The basic signed card to impossible location routine
- Plus additional ideas and handlings that are not only limited to playing cards but money, predictions, business cards etc.
- Learn how to customize and/or repair your Burn Notice gimmick
- Simple, effective and easy version of the Mercury Card Fold
- Handlings without the need for the card fold

How are the production values: Takel doesn't speak so all of the teaching is on screen text and pantomime. The video is shot well and has a nice location, the backgroud music is repetitive, but not too annoying.

Is it well made: It is a well made card to box. I used to have one a long time ago when I was 20 years younger and this is definitely an improvement on that model. I was disappointed that it wasn't a real matchbox - but Takel has "instructions" about how to modify your box to make it a real matchbox.

My thoughts (what I personally liked/disliked): I don't know that the addition of having the matchbox be quasi-inspectible makes this trick THAT much better. Plus the transfer of getting the card from the box has a lot of hand cover - almost too much. If I were actually taking a card from a box, I would just reach in with two fingers and pinch it out, or I'd turn the box over and dump it out. But with the design of the gimmick that can't be done.

But supposedly the "weird motion" of removing the card is forgotten once the spectator sees that the box is empty. But just like other marketed card-to-box effects, the box can not be inspected. Hopefully the "apparent emptiness" of the box will deter spectators from asking to inspect the box.

How is the teaching? The video is super short, at only 11 minutes. After the first 3 minutes, Takel has already moved on to "additional handlings"and the last 4 minutes are gimmick repair.

Storage? Does it "pack flat?" All you need is the matchbox (provided) a deck and a sharpie and you're ready to perform this little miracle.

Does it "play big?" card to impossible location effects always have the potential to be heavy hitters.

Difficulty / Skill level required: for the effect advertised you need to be able to: control a card, execute a mercury card fold and a false transfer. Takel also teaches routines with other skill levels and less moves.

How much arts and crafts are involved? none, unless the gimmick breaks

How practical is this in the real world? (can it really be done?) The gimmick is awesome and it can absolutely work in the real world. Takel has built a beautiful little pocket miracle that is sure to please a lot of magicians.

Overall score: let's toss out the traditional score of 1-10 and make this something that we all can appreciate and understand.

_____Very Satisfied
_____ Somewhat Satisfied
X Neither Satisfied or Dissatisfied
_____ Somewhat Dissatisfied
_____ Very Dissatisfied
_____ No Opinion

My final thoughts:

This was just "eh" for me. I didn't really see anything new here. This felt like a marriage of other gimmicks and a presentation I've seen before. I did like Takel's suggestions of modifying a box to also reveal billets and bills, But, I just think for the skilled magician, they could pull off this same exact routine and get the same exact reactions building this at home in a much more un-refined way.
I consider Burn Notice as a fantastic effect. The move is very convincing for the spectator, it even fools yourself.

Another very nice thing is that because of the relative simple way the gimmick works you can make your own match box of your choice, as long as it has the same size as the original.

The only weak point is the material used to make the gimmick. It breaks easily. But just use sturdier material, this is very inexpensive, and you can make a virtually unbreakable gimmick. I did anyway. Fun to make too :-)

A folded card to matchbox. Great concept!